Lucky Number Slevin

8.9

1. Jan 25, 2011
    Lucky # Slevin is one of the funner movies I have seen in a long time. The action is great and the plot twists are unexpected. The star power alone is a reason to watch it. Freeman and Kingsley play great crime bosses. Willis and Hartnett play their roles to perfection and even Liu sells her role. All in all this movie is a must see.
  2. Nov 1, 2012
    In comparison with e.g. the new Skyfall-Bond, a ultra-high-budget-production with ultra-high-expectations, this genius thriller is head and shoulders better both concerning story and cast. The outline is brilliant, the actors, including Oscar-winners Morgan Freeman and Sir Ben Kingsley as well as Josh Hartnett and Bruce Willis, are at their personal best and even an accurate portion ofIn comparison with e.g. the new Skyfall-Bond, a ultra-high-budget-production with ultra-high-expectations, this genius thriller is head and shoulders better both concerning story and cast. The outline is brilliant, the actors, including Oscar-winners Morgan Freeman and Sir Ben Kingsley as well as Josh Hartnett and Bruce Willis, are at their personal best and even an accurate portion of humour was not missed by the fantastic screenwriters and at last Paul McGuigan, the divine director of this great masterpiece of modern cinema. Expand
  3. G.G.
    Apr 16, 2007
    I don't know what the official "critics" where smoking when they gave this film a worse rating than something like 300 or Disturbia, but I guess the intellect required to understand these texts is on par with the intellect required to be a "Professional Film Critic." I'm actually astounded some of the lower ratings this film has been given aren't accompanied by reviews I don't know what the official "critics" where smoking when they gave this film a worse rating than something like 300 or Disturbia, but I guess the intellect required to understand these texts is on par with the intellect required to be a "Professional Film Critic." I'm actually astounded some of the lower ratings this film has been given aren't accompanied by reviews resembling "it sucked lots." Expand
  4. Aug 24, 2010
    Man gets caught up with gangsters in a case of mistaken identity & has to pay off his friends gambling debts. Twists & turns galore.
    Very slick indeed & certainly slightly Guy Ritchie-esque in parts but without the Cockney Geezas.
    Very good cast & very enjoyable to watch.
  5. Oct 11, 2011
    For me, one of the outstanding crime films of recent years. The incredibly convoluted plot keeps you guessing for most of the film...you believe Slevin is the innocent man mistaken for Nick, and as Goodkat appears in the rival camps, you wonder who the hell he really works for. The plot threads are neatly tied up in a satisfactory conclusion. I've never been a Tarantino fan, but he couldFor me, one of the outstanding crime films of recent years. The incredibly convoluted plot keeps you guessing for most of the film...you believe Slevin is the innocent man mistaken for Nick, and as Goodkat appears in the rival camps, you wonder who the hell he really works for. The plot threads are neatly tied up in a satisfactory conclusion. I've never been a Tarantino fan, but he could learn from watching this! I give it a maximum rating. Expand
  6. Oct 6, 2012
    I really do not understand, why this movie got so much bad critics. This movie is just wonderful. Bruce Willis and Josh Harnett aren't the best actors on the planet, but they are doing their job in this movie very good. Sir Ben Kingsley and Morgan Freeman are always good, so there is no need to talk about them! But not only the actors are good, I find the story just brilliant. It isI really do not understand, why this movie got so much bad critics. This movie is just wonderful. Bruce Willis and Josh Harnett aren't the best actors on the planet, but they are doing their job in this movie very good. Sir Ben Kingsley and Morgan Freeman are always good, so there is no need to talk about them! But not only the actors are good, I find the story just brilliant. It is suspenseful, you never really know who is who, and all this is mixed up with some jokes. It's just great! I've seen this movie numerous times now, and I always wish to see it again for the first time! This most definitely is one of my favourite Films! It really is to be recommended for everyone. Great movie! Expand
  7. Oct 14, 2013
    Wow!!! What a movie. Actors dialogs and story are great. And also a great twist not one of the cheap twists like in other movies, this one here is nice thats how twist meant to be in my opinion. I wonder why the metascore is so low from the magazines.. I dont really understand and i also dont know why this movie was not in the cinema. Its not perfect but a 9/10!
  8. SamanthaB.
    Apr 7, 2006
    Lucky Number Slevin was a lot of fun, and a great movie.
  9. JeremyW.
    Apr 7, 2006
    In a word, excellent. Acting, directing, dialogue, story, all come together beautifully. Definately one of the best movies of the year.
  10. DougR.
    Apr 9, 2006
    Keeps you in the dark till the end, then wraps it all up terrifically!
  11. kern
    May 2, 2008
    Brilliant, twist laden screenplay with witty dialogue. It's a shame that scripts like this do not win the awards they deserve. Whip crack direction maximizes impact, speed, humor, deception, and ultimate clarity. Every aspect of story is wrapped up satisfyingly. Great cast plays it to the hilt.
  12. JohnR.
    Oct 11, 2006
    Absolutely awesome movie. The film makes you connect and believe one thing and then the next minute everything is actually totally different. Then the same thing will occur again. [***SPOILERS***] It confuses the viewer, but in the end all is good for the good guys. Great movie keeps you thinking and involved with the movie, which makes great films.
  13. CamilleK.
    Apr 19, 2006
    Excellent. Clever, witty, with brilliant acting. I loved it!
  14. SusanM.
    Apr 10, 2006
    Great movie! Very enjoybale and very clever. The acting was great, I especially enjoyed Lucy Liu. It's sooooo hard to hate Morgan Freeman, even when he plays a bad guy!
  15. LeslieKrell
    Apr 7, 2006
    Haven't had this much fun at the movies in a while. I loved it...
  16. JordanG.
    Apr 13, 2006
    I dont know what the deal is with these reviews. these guys dont know what the f..k they are talking about, this is an awesome awesome movie. lucky lui and josh hartnett play way against type a nd do a fantastic job, the comedy is clever, as is the story, editing, cinemetography, everything in this movie kicks ass. so dont trust the reviews, see for yourself.
  17. JanY.
    Apr 5, 2006
    A sharp thriller that uses wit and language to keep the viewers connected to the interesting characters and events.
  18. LarryM.
    Apr 6, 2006
    Awesome. I need to see this again. I feel like there was a ton of subtle stuff that would have allowed me to see what is coming had I of been aware of it... I need the DVD, it is now in my 'Saved' queue on Netflix.
  19. AaronM.
    Apr 7, 2006
    Ok i think the majority of these critics watched a different movie..i was expecting to be entertained by this ... i loved it, a fantastic funny movie with plot twists that even though i guessed a few of before the end, still left me with a huge smile.
  20. JinxA
    May 25, 2009
    The witty dialogue in this movie is addicting, and the characters are very well defined. The art design and visual themes are brilliant and unique. One of the greatest things about this movie is how re-watchable it is.
  21. Nov 22, 2013
    A very almost dark comedy that keeps its cards hidden while being thoroughly entertaining and an ending payoff that truly makes you re evaluate every character. topped off with an amazing visual aesthetic that's quirky enough to avoid Tarentino comparisons
  22. MarcD.
    Apr 14, 2006
    Yes, the critics indeed missed the boat on this one. Oustanding movie, for what it was - and that's a sleeper. I don't want to spoil anything, so just do yourself a favor and see it.
  23. Josh
    Apr 14, 2006
    Great movie, certainly not what I expected.
  24. ChrisU.
    Apr 16, 2006
    I don't understand why the critics don't seem to like this movie more. It is well acted by all involved and we actually see emotional depth from Hartnett in the closing third of film, which is something audiences haven't really seen too much of from this teenie-bop actor. He surprised me by pulling his weight in a cast with several acclaimed actors (keep in mind he pulls I don't understand why the critics don't seem to like this movie more. It is well acted by all involved and we actually see emotional depth from Hartnett in the closing third of film, which is something audiences haven't really seen too much of from this teenie-bop actor. He surprised me by pulling his weight in a cast with several acclaimed actors (keep in mind he pulls his weight while being the lead, which has the most weight to pull in an ensemble cast), and actually showed he is capable of taking his craft somewhat seriously. Although the supporting performances are very good from all involved, this movie would simply not be the same without Hartnett's influence through his character. After all, the movie is about him, as you'll see. It's tough to talk any more about the movie without disclosing its secrets. Simply put, Slevin's plot and dialogue are a bit scatterbrained in the beginning, but stay with this movie. It will reward you at the end. Expand
  25. Sep 26, 2014
    This is one of my favorite movies. The dialogue is snappy and clever. The story is intelligent and presented in such a fashion as to keep the viewer guessing up to the final reveal. The characters, despite having star actors playing them, are memorable. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that the critics hated it so much, rating it just a couple points higher than sequels to successful sequelsThis is one of my favorite movies. The dialogue is snappy and clever. The story is intelligent and presented in such a fashion as to keep the viewer guessing up to the final reveal. The characters, despite having star actors playing them, are memorable. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that the critics hated it so much, rating it just a couple points higher than sequels to successful sequels made purely to be cash cows (Pirates of the Caribbean sequels anyone?) Compared to the cash cows that receive these low scores (and deservedly so), Lucky # Slevin is funny, well thought out, well paced, and interlaced with enough memorable characters to warrant seeing several times.

I should add now that I have no interest in movie stars and never see films just because so and so actor is in it. Often, the movies are made simply to cash in on the presence of that actor and little thought is given to much else. This is not one of those movies.
  26. DrewF.
    Apr 10, 2006
    The critics are right: This flick isn't anywhere near as smart as it thinks it is. (The "BIG TWIST" is one of THE most predictable of any film i've seen of this type), but the cast is still having alot of fun, and so you will you. Enough here to make the film worth at least a look.
  27. MartinF.
    Apr 15, 2006
    Boring, hyper-violent, a movie that can't seem to find an identity. Josh Harnett spends two full scenes in a bath towel and doesn't come close to pulling it off.
  28. KyleA.
    Apr 7, 2006
    Should be shown in screenwriting classes: How NOT to write a movie.
  29. karl_ravageravage
    Feb 10, 2008
    worst dialogue ever!!!! overtly homophobic. ntl Josh Hartnet held his own w/ a great group of actors who must have been bribed w/ a large movie budget.
  30. TonyL.
    Apr 24, 2006
    I only went to see this movie because Morgan Freeman and Lucy Liu were in it. I was extremely disappointed. Josh may be dating hottie Scarlett Johanssen, but he can't carry a movie to save his life!
  31. MarkB.
    May 9, 2006
    Regardless of subject matter, style or quirky flourishes, the ONLY characteristic that should place a movie in the far-overused category of "Tarantinoesque" is that Quentin Tarantino himself wrote and directed it. That didn't stop far too many hacks over the past 12 years from watching Pulp Fiction (some more than once) and chirping, "Hey, I can do this, too!" Even though such Regardless of subject matter, style or quirky flourishes, the ONLY characteristic that should place a movie in the far-overused category of "Tarantinoesque" is that Quentin Tarantino himself wrote and directed it. That didn't stop far too many hacks over the past 12 years from watching Pulp Fiction (some more than once) and chirping, "Hey, I can do this, too!" Even though such resultant efforts as Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead and The Last Days of Frankie the Fly should've consigned this genre to the same receptacle as the calypso movies of the late 1950s and the lambada movies of the early 1990s, Lucky Number Slevin proves that some dead things just won't stay buried. In telling the story of a luckless kid who becomes entangled in a deadly underworld Hatfield-and-McCoy feud, writer Jason Smilovic and director Paul McGuigan throw in all the expected ingredients: a tricky, flashback-heavy structure, a cast of (mostly) criminals, some bursts of violence and gore that the filmmakers think are too offbeat to be offensive, dialogue that nobody speaks in real life unless they're trying too hard to imitate Tarantino characters, and frequent instances where two or more people pause to have a conversation about some thirty-year-old Top 40 hit or TV show or action movie (in Tarantino's films, these little digressions are often major highlights; in his imitations they just grind the action down to a complete halt). In David Cronenberg's The Fly, scientist Seth Brundle teleported a steak only to find, when applying the taste test, that it wasn't a real steak, and therefore was inedible. Same here: Smilovic and McGuigan do everything that Tarantino does but are missing two essential ingredients: the heart and soul. Go back to David Carradine's self-defining speech about Superman and Clark Kent in Kill Bill Volume 2, or Sam Jackson's surprisingly moving one near the end/beginning of Pulp Fiction about how hard he's trying to be the shepherd, and you'll see that QT has very few modern equals when it comes to revealing character through dialogue. No such luck in Slevin: it's all surface and gimmicks, with obnoxiously baroque look-at-me set design that brought back childhood memories of my sister eating too many Pixy Stix and throwing them all up, a so-called "surprise ending" that I guessed almost from minute one (not that predictability is necessarily a fatal flaw, but having nothing else up your sleeve is), and a truly repugnant mingling of bloodshed and sentimentality. Among the large cast, only Bruce Willis and Robert Forster bring something resembling originality or energy (perhaps because they've worked with Tarantino in the past and know the drill)...but this is the first time that the great Morgan Freeman has ever slummed, and as for Ben Kingsley as his rival, "The Rabbi", his accent brought none-too-welcome memories of Laurence Olivier's "I hef no son!" bit in Neil Diamond's version of The Jazz Singer. (Is the reason he insisted on billing himself as "Sir Ben" here that, after doing this and the Uwe Boll vampire movie Bloodrayne in the same year, he felt the need to overcompensate?) And why does Josh Hartnett continue to get steady work, anyway? Inoffensive at best in ensemble movies like Black Hawk Down, Pearl Harbor and Sin City where the special effects and action sequences are the real stars, when he's given leads in things like 40 Days and 40 Nights or Hollywood Homicide or McGuigan's Wicker Park, Hartnett displays terminal blandness of a sort that hasn't been seen or heard onscreen since the last straight-to-video release starring "the two Coreys" hit the cutout bin. In all fairness and with due respect, I DO have close friends who DID enjoy this movie (largely because they didn't guess the ending), so in the interest of equal time let me present the op-ed view: Lucky Number Slevin is every bit as clever, witty and well-conceived as its title. Expand
  32. RachelC.
    Sep 23, 2006
    A truly awful movie with no redeeming value which does nothing but glorify violence and sadism. It's all style with no substance.
  33. ApocalypseBrown
    Jun 29, 2007
    What a poor imitation of 'Usual Suspects'! For some of the e mailers who said this was an intelligent film have insulted intelligence itself. There were several plot flaws which were unforgivable. Like Willis allowing Harnett to live when Willis was supposed to be a international killer was BS! Then the obvious clues that Harnett was out for revenge not being noticed by anyone What a poor imitation of 'Usual Suspects'! For some of the e mailers who said this was an intelligent film have insulted intelligence itself. There were several plot flaws which were unforgivable. Like Willis allowing Harnett to live when Willis was supposed to be a international killer was BS! Then the obvious clues that Harnett was out for revenge not being noticed by anyone is bollocks. Lastly the acting was as wooden as a forest, all round. Read a paper for intellect, not watch this! Expand
  34. HellaS.
    Apr 16, 2006
    It wasn't too bad, but I was bored at times. If you are a mature movie watcher, then I think you will find that you've seen this plot many times before. Usually when you see a good movie, when you get out of the theater, you can discuss what you liked, what you didn't like, what you thought was a good idea. With this movie... nothing. Very shallow and dry.
  35. StephenG
    Nov 19, 2008
    Completely derivative. Desperately trying to be as intelligent and surprising as The Usual Suspects and as artsy and intriguing as Pulp Fiction, this film fails on all counts. Enjoyable if you haven't seen the movies whose shoulders this film stands or don't mind the cartoonish cast of characters.
  36. Jun 5, 2011
    Funny and well constructed dialogs. This film seems to be a comedy at the beginning - and honestly, a comedy it should have been. The revelations at the end are a little bit confusing, otherwise a good film.
  37. Apr 14, 2013
    It's maybe just a case that Lucky Number Slevin was too clever, swapping what could have been a very coherent story of revenge with visual flash and quick cuts, but its still an enjoyable film.
    The big cast includes Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Ben Kingsley and Josh Hartnett, with Lucy Liu being the sole female lead in the film. We open a range of ways in this film, with various characters being thrown at us from the beginning, and dialogue perhaps too elegant to fit the plot, but certainly something thought-provoking.
    We eventually run into Slevin (Hartnett) who is occupying his friends apartment, but is then accused of being said friend, who owes a lot of money to The Boss (Freeman) and The Rabbi (Kingsley), two rival gangsters, who live literally across the road from each other in two identical towers, but a past altercation leaves them almost fearful of the other.
    Smith (Willis) is a master assassin who seems to be whispering in the ear of both gangsters, with the overall goal of keeping the right people quiet. Lucy Liu plays Nick's neighbour Lindsey, who grows increasingly unsure of Slevins role in everything. A big cast like this does indeed lead to some underlying problems. perhaps the pacing of the story.
    The plot moves at a very erratic and sometimes confusing motion. Certain cuts and extras seem unnecessary and I was baffled as to why they were in fact there. At times it is very easy to question the relevance of the whole thing, simply because at times the backdrop is used for a comic effect rather than focusing on what could have been a straightforward and engaging story had it been done a different way. The realisation of Slevin was a nice twist, but only eventually, as director Peter McGuigan took too long to follow up his major twist with the ultimate one.
    Lucky Number Slevin is still an enjoyable piece, the acting is excellent from the heavy-hitting cast, all delivering memorable performances and engaging characters, and the story itself, stripping away the visuals and deliberate confusion, is in fact quite good as the climax creeps up.
    The idea of creating visual standouts just seemed unnecessary, but the acting and decent plot of the film did save it from going too far down.
  38. May 4, 2012
    Good movie. Not simply because how hot Josh Hartnett is, but how suitable he is for his role. Very good story line because it's unpredictable. Good ending too. Script in some scenes can be too long, but still acceptable. Quite violent but not extremely. I just love how brilliant and smart both Josh Harnett & Bruce Willis planned their assassinations. I can watch this over and over again!Good movie. Not simply because how hot Josh Hartnett is, but how suitable he is for his role. Very good story line because it's unpredictable. Good ending too. Script in some scenes can be too long, but still acceptable. Quite violent but not extremely. I just love how brilliant and smart both Josh Harnett & Bruce Willis planned their assassinations. I can watch this over and over again! I thought Lucy Liu & Harnett were pretty cute too. Expand
  39. Jun 7, 2015
    I want to be as cool as Pulp Fiction !
    Come on, the main character walking around only with an towel for 20 min. That's so crazy!!

And we have Bruce Willis who was also in Pulp Fiction so..
  40. JamesM.
    Apr 14, 2006
    Brilliant! Excellent dialogue, direction, acting. Terrible wallpaper. What were they thinking?
  41. Rob
    Apr 9, 2006
    Pretty good and interesting movie. I agree with someone that said above, don't read the critic reviews. If you want a movie with a twist and some humor, then this movie wont disappoint you.
  42. DerrickA.
    Apr 9, 2006
    Lotta similiarities to the Kill Bill films. Kudos to the director for "connecting all the dots" at the end.
  43. PhilipJ
    May 15, 2006
    Quality Acting, Quality Directing, Original Storyline. However, it was extremely boring at times. The movie was also a bit predictable.
  44. EricL.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Great movie kept me wondering till the end. Unlike most movies you can figure them out in the first 30 minutes.
  45. YouBet
    Sep 24, 2006
    Witty and bloody just how I like it
  46. FelixK
    Dec 30, 2007
    I wouldn't have expected this movie to be so good. But I really regret that I've seen it on DVD and not in the cinema. I've enjoyed watching nevertheless. Definitely, some references to films like "Pulp Fiction" or "Usual Suspects" were used. But the main thing taken from "PF" is the unchronological proceedings. And for me, this is not a reason to criticise a movie, unless I wouldn't have expected this movie to be so good. But I really regret that I've seen it on DVD and not in the cinema. I've enjoyed watching nevertheless. Definitely, some references to films like "Pulp Fiction" or "Usual Suspects" were used. But the main thing taken from "PF" is the unchronological proceedings. And for me, this is not a reason to criticise a movie, unless it's 'stolen' even more ideas. No doubt: "PF" is - a lot - better than "L#S", but in my view, Josh Hartnett has shot his best film next to "Black Hawk Down" Expand
  47. BenR
    Jan 3, 2007
    Critics got it totally wrong. This was a very good film for a thriller, crime drama. Hartnett is a bit stiff but the rest of the cast is top notch and well acted. Whether or not you figured it out by the end is immaterial to a very nice ride. I think critics hate a movie that they THINK they figured out when they get it wrong.
  48. NancyF.
    Oct 16, 2006
    Fantasic movie! Seemed to move along slowly at first, but when it picked up speed, boy did it PICK UP SPEED! Totally recommend this movie. Would love to see it again some day, or possibly purchase it on DVD.
  49. CharmaineH.
    Oct 5, 2006
    I thought this movie was very well done and I thoroughly enjoyed the twisted plot. I positively detest Tarantino films and yet adored this one due its slight influence.
  50. PaulB.
    Apr 12, 2006
    Clever!!! Exellent cast!! Must see!
  51. Ap
    Apr 13, 2006
    This movie was absolutely fabulous. It had a distinct style without going overboard. Dialogue was witty and entertaining. Plot though slightly predictable was not enough so to dislike it for. Go see it. It was a lot of fun.
  52. Sam
    Apr 17, 2006
    A good movie that uses misdirection to good effect. The set design detracted from the movie but overall much better than the critics think.
  53. NathanS.
    Apr 23, 2006
    This is a smart movie, period. If you're like me, you'll go to a movie that entertains you, that makes you laugh, or even maybe just to spend quality time with friends. Howerver, very infrequently does one have the ability to not only make you laugh (well, maybe just once or twice with this movie) but actually make you think. This is an extremely well-written movie that has you This is a smart movie, period. If you're like me, you'll go to a movie that entertains you, that makes you laugh, or even maybe just to spend quality time with friends. Howerver, very infrequently does one have the ability to not only make you laugh (well, maybe just once or twice with this movie) but actually make you think. This is an extremely well-written movie that has you guessing up until the end and has you trying to piece it together the entire time. I saw "Inside Man" a few weeks back, being that its one of the top rated movies on this site, and enjoyed it, but this one I think did just as good a job at being smart. This is definitly a movie worth seeing. Expand
  54. JessicaC
    Apr 7, 2006
    Okay, it's not an Oscar contender but witty dialogue and an appealing cast make this movie a great choice for an entertaining evening.
  55. Shawn
    Apr 7, 2006
    Really neat movie with a great twist. I was not disappointed.
    Apr 7, 2006
    It was an entertaining movie, plot twists could have been figured out since the clue's were all there. Still a good time and critics were wrong.
  57. NateD.
    Apr 9, 2006
    Well done thriller. Excellent cast. Gripping tale. Loved it.
  58. Missy
    May 23, 2006
    Loved It! this movie was so amazing and kept me on my toes. very clever. I had no idea.
  59. KurtF
    Dec 9, 2007
    I don't know what is wrong with the Critics but the people have spoken and this movie rocks!
  60. JimA.
    Apr 27, 2007
    A perfect movie which contains everything: adventure fun and a lot of surprises! I think that critics where unfair!!!!
  61. AJM.
    Nov 26, 2006
    Loved it! No wonder such a fabulous cast signed on to do it! Thoroughly enjoyed the twists and the dialogue! Great script!
  62. MarkS.
    Dec 11, 2006
    This is one of those movies that is a benchmark for how clueless reviewers can be.
  63. Fantasy
    Apr 11, 2006
    All you have to know is that the professional critics are wrong and this is a movie fans movie. Great cast. Go and enjoy!
  64. RonJ.
    Apr 12, 2006
    Utterly predictable and gratuitous. Nonetheless fun and engaging. Relax and go along for the ride.
  65. BillyS.
    Apr 12, 2006
    Finally, a movie in 2006 that I can recommend to everyone to go see! A great opening hook that pulls you into a world of suspects and villians and spins them into a very entertaining two hours that has you leaving saying "oh yea" and not "what?". And besides, how can you go wrong with a movie with Morgan Freeman and Ben Kingsley as waring mob bosses. The best Pulp Fiction knock off since Finally, a movie in 2006 that I can recommend to everyone to go see! A great opening hook that pulls you into a world of suspects and villians and spins them into a very entertaining two hours that has you leaving saying "oh yea" and not "what?". And besides, how can you go wrong with a movie with Morgan Freeman and Ben Kingsley as waring mob bosses. The best Pulp Fiction knock off since The Usual Suspects. Expand
  66. RobertJ.
    Apr 17, 2006
    This movie completely caught me off guard... it was one of those days were you go to the movies without the slightest idea of what you really want to see... and most of the time with least expectations-it turns out to be an interesting and entertaining film. Initially the film starts a bit slow, but with reason as the movie progresses into its storyline. I found quite enjoyable and I do This movie completely caught me off guard... it was one of those days were you go to the movies without the slightest idea of what you really want to see... and most of the time with least expectations-it turns out to be an interesting and entertaining film. Initially the film starts a bit slow, but with reason as the movie progresses into its storyline. I found quite enjoyable and I do recommend this film. Expand
  67. DavidC.
    Apr 26, 2006
    The critics don't like it because they can't grab some popcorn, snooze, wake up, and get the message. It's a very complicated mess that you might in fact need to see twice to get. In the world of true films (films that are truly worth watching), you never only see a movie once. (Think Fellini.) This film is loaded with extratextual, intratextual, and intertextual references The critics don't like it because they can't grab some popcorn, snooze, wake up, and get the message. It's a very complicated mess that you might in fact need to see twice to get. In the world of true films (films that are truly worth watching), you never only see a movie once. (Think Fellini.) This film is loaded with extratextual, intratextual, and intertextual references that make it deep and intelligent. I almost never rate a film above an 8 because I want to leave room for better films. So, a 9 it is. Expand
  68. StephanieB.
    Sep 24, 2006
    I think this movie is great!!! It twist and turns and gets you thinking, hard to figure out until the end- which keeps you watching. The best movie I have seen in a long time!!!!
  69. ReidF.
    Jan 27, 2007
    This movie suffered from having a terrible name, but really, it is quite a good film with several interesting plot twists and outstanding performances from a stellar cast that includes Josh Hartnett, Lucy Liu, Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, and Ben Kingsley.
  70. AndrewY.
    May 23, 2007
    I'm not sure why the critics were so harsh about this movie. For the average movie-goer, this is a solid film, which i enjoyed immensely.
  71. XavierL
    Feb 25, 2008
    Don't trust movie critics! Great writing &plot, great acting, great art direction. The problem with movie critics is that they're in love with Quentin Tarantino and normal people thing he's good, but so pretentious, it's distracting and makes you want to hurl. So when a movie looks like it's remotely Tarantinesque, the critics who couldn't be directors come Don't trust movie critics! Great writing &plot, great acting, great art direction. The problem with movie critics is that they're in love with Quentin Tarantino and normal people thing he's good, but so pretentious, it's distracting and makes you want to hurl. So when a movie looks like it's remotely Tarantinesque, the critics who couldn't be directors come to the rescue of their idol and kill Slevin. Expand
  72. topsyk
    Aug 19, 2008
    Lucky number slevin is an outstanding film full of action and twist that will have you wondering what just happend. If you liked movies such as "the prestige", "the departed", or "reservoir dogs" you will love this movie from start to finish. The only negative thing i could say about this movie is that i did not like lucy lu in it.
  73. Jan 10, 2016
    The movie is obviously tarantino inspired and i think it reaches up to a great level especially in the clever dialogues , i don't see why the critics characterize this a failure

If "Pulp Fiction" impregnated "The Usual Suspects," the spawn would look a lot like Lucky Number Slevin. Great genes, but you keep wondering when the kid is going to grow up and find an identity of his own.
  2. The film is stylish as hell with sharp dialogue, a tongue-in-cheek plot and visual and editing razzle-dazzle.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Thoroughly -- and sometimes justifiably -- infatuated with its own cleverness, this mistaken-identity thriller delights in narrative complication and Tarantino-esque self-awareness.