5.9

1. Aug 3, 2014
    I thought the movie was great. It had a spiritual message that provoked one to thought. I love action movies and this film does give lots of action; however, typically action movies don't offer any depth to the storyline. "Lucy," does provide depth and need for thought and I left contemplating its message. It reminded me a bit of the Matrix. The message was a labyrinth of possibilities.
  2. Jul 25, 2014
    Lucy starts like a Keanu Reeves Sci-Fi adventure, feeling more like Johnny Mnemonic than The Matrix. Lucy is the innocent bystander in a designer drug deal on Taipei gone bad, which leads to a speculative fantasy of potential human evolution catalyzed by the drug. From there it feels more like 2001: A Space Odyssey as Lucy transforms to a über-human in a LBD. Good special effects with a nod to scientific philosophy. Have fun, but take it with a boulder of blue salt. Expand
  3. Jul 29, 2014
    A kickass sci-fi/metaphysical thriller that packs a punch, both in its visuals and its content. What a treat it is to watch a cinematic thrill ride that also delivers on its profound subject matter. If you want some depth from your action-adventures, go see this one -- you won't be disappointed.
  4. Jul 27, 2014
    Lucy is a crazy, mind boggling mess of a film. A film that crosses over a variety of genres. Luckily, having Scarlett Johansson in the movie, Besson can do whatever he wants.

Being set up by her boyfriend in Taipei Lucy (Johansson) is forced to be an unwilling drug mule for a dangerous Asian drug cartel, after being surgically inserted with a secret super-drug in her body. Life being
    threatened, she is forced to go and transport her part of the stash. Being beaten by other captors, the packet of drugs bursts open in her body. Almost immediately the overwhelmed Lucy beings to evolve into the first person to use 100% of her brain.

We were/are all set up for the whole picture early on for Johansson to be a "bad ass" and do whatever it took in the film. Scarlett doing the "zone outs" and focusing on people and matter is a great move on a futuristic scale. Besson could have made the film use more action and killing in the scenes after she got free, which would have made it even better. Also, the film makers could have done more on the development of the drug. All in all, the movie was good.
  5. Aug 7, 2014
    Intelligent, witty. Synthesis of an updated 2001: A Space Odyssey with a decent action/adventure picture. Perhaps unnecessarily violent, but that was probably planned to pull in the younger crowd. Johansson is perfect in this.
  6. Jul 31, 2014
    If you wanted to be Neo after the first two Matrix movies, you will want to be Lucy after seeing this movie.

This is the latest spiritual movie alert! The pattern is movies taking on the topic of individual transformation and upliftment, in any authentic way, receive primarily negative and so-so reviews, by mainstream reviewers, across the board.

This pattern continues here. I’m
    writing this review as this is the only spiritual movie I have given a ten to in about five years.

For me Lucy stands with Besson's best work, which I consider to be Fifth Element and The Transporter, first one.

I have read other reviews, before I saw Lucy. I was expecting to agree with the reviewer who said it was a mediocre Besson effort with all the familiar rhythms and disappointments. I very much expected a script without a third act.

Surprise! I found Lucy quite coherent, fresh, entertaining and engaging thru to the end. There is no holding back. As far as I can tell, no expense has been spared in the special effects and chase sequences. They are both top-notch.

The actor for the main villain deserves special mention for anchoring a formidable presence to balance the intensity of Scarlet Johansen's character and performance. The French police lieutenant who arrives mid-film is also a fresh face providing needed counterpoint.

Today I read a film review mentioning the curse of the underwritten woman's role. Writers on this topic point to the heroine in the Matrix movies as the archetypal underwritten woman's role, fierce yet inconsequential to the plot, despite her great potential.

Here in Lucy we get to see a woman both kick ass and develop her full potential--if you subscribe to any kind of personal-spiritual growth beliefs or aspirations.

My view is: let’s support ‘spiritual movies’ when they arise so the system makes more of them.
  7. Jul 25, 2014
    Lucy has an interesting idea for a movie but the plot doesn't blend properly with the action. The movie is
    less than 2 hours and after the story is set up, the viewer is bombarded with action. Basically if you
    watch the movie solely for the action you'll have nothing to complain about.
  8. Jul 31, 2014
    Luc Besson and Scarlet Johansson and teamed up to produce a powerhouse sci-fi/action thriller not seen since The Matrix. It offers everything you could want in regards to this genre. A 'must-see' in my opinion.
  9. Aug 9, 2014
    If you are smart and open to the future, then, you will value the concept of this movie. It will caught your attention from the beginning. Scarlets is amazing as usual, so Morgan Freedman. On the contrary, if you are not too smart and you are waiting just to see action, sex and rock and roll, this movie it is not for you. A great concept of evolution and how we can evolve as a human and develop our brain capacity. Expand
  10. Aug 12, 2014
    This movie was with no exaggeration mind blowing. I didn't move or blink in over 89 mins which seemed to go by in 20. In this movie, real scientific discoveries mixes well with various theories on the human potential to give a possible meaning to all life. Bravo.
  11. Aug 23, 2014
    Admittedly I was very skeptical towards the movie as I walked into the theater. However, my perception of the movie got changed rather quickly.
    I was truly blown away. I agree that the theories used in Lucy seem doubtful. The movie was very thought provoking, regardless. The negative reviews seem unjustified to me.
    10/10, well deserved.
  12. Aug 31, 2014
    awesome movie, luc besson at his best. the storyline was a bit predictable ( that's why it didn't get full 10), but I enjoyed from the beginning til the end.
  13. Sep 13, 2014
    This is the surprise hit of the summer for me! Went in with low to mediocre expectations and was along for the ride the entire movie. Certainly more fiction than science, once you suspend disbelief, it's an engrossing movie with plenty of action. Well worth the price of admission!
  14. Oct 3, 2014
    More than just an action-adventure flick, this is a mind-bending story that reminds us of what we already know to be true about the transitory, illusionary, energetic nature of all things. Go with an open mind and leave with it opened even further.
  15. Oct 10, 2014
    Its sad but seems that lots of people didn't understand the message of this movie. They probably waited something like Iron Man or X-Men etc, or White House saved by some super-heroes again. This movie is deeply philosophical and you should have already have some concerns in order to understand it. Probably its not for the masses, but at least it made a great effort to pass its important message. There is no word in English to describe "To Όλον" (Greek word), which its close to "the Whole". In real reality, which is impossible to experience because of our limited senses, in universe there is no duality. Meaning, for instance, that there is no feelings because a feeling exist because we have experienced its opposite (this is duality, which also Greek philosopher Socrates talked about). You say you feel angry because you have experienced the feeling of joyfulness etc. I dont want to make spoiler, so I dont want to refer some of the movie scenes for this matter, and also I don't want to expand my review to my philosophical views. All I suggest is, some of the guys that found the movie boring or meaningless, they should try and watch it again in their after some years. Maybe, only maybe, they are in different way of thinking.

This movie is on my top ever favorite list!
  16. Aug 26, 2014
    The science is just not true, but who cares, we have plenty of factual science shows if we want hard science. Instead we want a beautiful woman being a superwoman. And we get it...Taipei, Triads, Paris, Rome, an irreverently hilarious English guy. Morgan Freeman being cool.....and Scarlet being fantastic.. Lucy the first humanoid female is here too with a little spirituality thrown in..Not a 10 really but 5.7 is way too low.. Expand
  17. Sep 6, 2014
    I really love this film! This's best sci-fi i ever watch! With so much scientific and proving, some kind like making that the film is real, the theory is real! I hope see Lucy 2 soon!
  18. Oct 16, 2014
    I loved this movie.....i thought it would be boring because of the name, but surprisingly it was the best movie.... I think they should make movies like Lucy
  19. Nov 16, 2014
    Scarlet's looking good, Movie was good.
    Plots a bit of a rip off of limitless, but overall was good
    Don't know how people can give this a ZERO that's a bit ridiculous.

1. Reviewed by: Ben Nicholson
    Sep 5, 2014
    This undeniably silly, but raucously entertaining, off-the-wall transhumanist actioner is an absolute riot.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Sep 5, 2014
    This ridiculous, highly watchable, at points startlingly psychedelic action thriller is probably Luc Besson’s best film since ‘Léon’ (which isn’t saying a great deal).
  3. Reviewed by: Kate Stables
    Sep 5, 2014
    Besson is at his balls-out bonkers best in this genre-scrambling, mind-expanding exhilarator.