6.7

1. Jan 19, 2014
    How did anyone even enjoy this crap! First off, it is pretentiously long! It's filled with so much story that's never very clear. The story just jumps place to place and sometimes is confusing to fully understand. Second, the characters! Joseph Fiennes as Luther is fine (I guess) but the other characters are utter crap! Plus, there are characters that aren't shown very well. There in theHow did anyone even enjoy this crap! First off, it is pretentiously long! It's filled with so much story that's never very clear. The story just jumps place to place and sometimes is confusing to fully understand. Second, the characters! Joseph Fiennes as Luther is fine (I guess) but the other characters are utter crap! Plus, there are characters that aren't shown very well. There in the movie, but there just there. It cuts back to them now and then, but they're just there for appearance. A prefect example, Alfred Molina as John Tetzel! He shows up for like 5-10 mins and you'd think he'd become a main character or a strong supporting character at least! No! He's just gone. Don't know why! That was probably the only part of the movie that I truly liked. This is movie is like going to a bad sermon that never spits the message out clearly. Overall, this is lame!!!!!! It gets an F!!!!!! Expand
  2. JeffC.
    Nov 23, 2008
    A wonderful depiction with only minor historical inaccuracies. A movie every Christian should watch.
  3. JaredC.
    Dec 19, 2007
    Based on the quality of Luther, it sadly doesn't reach the expectations of my personal discussions with society. It has a fine tone and starts out clueless, though eventually builds up momentum and suspense after gathering a substantial amount of information, that gets to the point of overload, and blasts with a finale that finishes with a breathtaking conclusion. It's a great Based on the quality of Luther, it sadly doesn't reach the expectations of my personal discussions with society. It has a fine tone and starts out clueless, though eventually builds up momentum and suspense after gathering a substantial amount of information, that gets to the point of overload, and blasts with a finale that finishes with a breathtaking conclusion. It's a great churchgoer motion picture, and relates a lot to Renassaince studies which really overthinks me a bit. Everything is cause and Effect in Luther, it builds up a tremendous amount of character, and then that's the part when you start getting entertained, about 3 quarters way in. Which is the disappointing factor about it. Before all that, you just want a silent nap. Collapse
  4. TonyB.
    Jan 12, 2006
    Deciding how historically accurate "Luther" is is best left to those familiar with the religious and political intrigue in 16th Century Europe. For the rest of us, it is a generally well-told and sometimes even absorbing tale. Sir Peter Ustinov easily manages to steal all of his scenes; the same cannot be said for Joseph Fiennes. We have to take the script's word that Martin Luther Deciding how historically accurate "Luther" is is best left to those familiar with the religious and political intrigue in 16th Century Europe. For the rest of us, it is a generally well-told and sometimes even absorbing tale. Sir Peter Ustinov easily manages to steal all of his scenes; the same cannot be said for Joseph Fiennes. We have to take the script's word that Martin Luther was such an influential man because nothing in Fiennes' performance remotely suggests it. Expand
  5. LincolnW.
    Feb 1, 2005
    While not entirely historically accurate, it draws out major events and prevailing practices of the church at the time while cativating viewers with Fiennes' monumental development of Luther as a very "human" theologian.
  6. MitchM.
    Dec 4, 2004
    Alternately absorbing and laughable, it bites off WAY more than it can chew in 2 hours - - it's an immense topic, worthy of, say, a TV mini-series? I give them credit for good intentions. (I'm a sucker for 16th C. drama).
  7. WilliamVanO.
    Oct 6, 2003
    It helps to first understand who Luther is before watching the film. Certainly quite an undertaking to summarize a time in history when religious, political and social reformations were deeply influencing each other. I would have appreciated more of a Luther who showed more conviction, hearing the word "grace" at least once in the movie, and less of the wimpering Luther wrestling with evil.
  8. BobR.
    Oct 1, 2003
    Very fast moving, good representation of "the times;" would be difficult to follow if one didn't already know the story; costumes and settings beautiful; Fienes does a superb job.
  9. ChadS.
    Sep 30, 2003
    Late in "Luther", there's a scene that reminded me of "Rudy", the one in which his Notre Dame brethen enter Coach Devine's office and lay down their jerseys atop a desk. That is to say, "Luther" gets corny, and corn looks awfully conspicuous in the 16th century. We're still recovering from the "Luther's in love" sequence, when this film's increasing allignment Late in "Luther", there's a scene that reminded me of "Rudy", the one in which his Notre Dame brethen enter Coach Devine's office and lay down their jerseys atop a desk. That is to say, "Luther" gets corny, and corn looks awfully conspicuous in the 16th century. We're still recovering from the "Luther's in love" sequence, when this film's increasing allignment with mainstream sensibilities cancels out what small pleasures that came before the maize. Expand

1. With Joseph Fiennes as the conflicted, frequently self-hating Luther, this historical drama/biopic offers a fairly thorough overview of the period (although it's weak on the "good deeds" angle) but is somewhat dry and weighted with significance.
    British director Eric Till’s ghastly Euro-pudding co-production (with all the international accents and badly post-synchronized dialogue that implies) manages to make a travesty of its title subject.
    The unimposing Fiennes may not suggest the burly Luther's plain-talking peasant background, but he at least captures the charisma.