Madagascar

6.6

1. Apr 19, 2016
    The penguins were hilarious. The lemur king was also amusing, and so was Melman the the giraffe. It was, however packed with corny jokes and some of the sub-plots dragged on a bit. I won't be seeing the sequel if their is one.
  2. Apr 9, 2016
    Madagascar is a colored adventure, full of corny jokes and great characters, that uses simple story-telling and an unremarkable plot. Despite the negative antecedents of this nothing-special film, it's a true family-friendly film, that more than the half of the audience will like, specially united families.
  3. Apr 1, 2016
    Madagascar the new computer-animated picture from DreamWorks, is, at least in part, a movie about what a bad idea it is to leave New York City. Its main characters are four residents of the Central Park Zoo - a zebra, a hippo, a lion and a giraffe - who abandon their lives of comfortable, pampered confinement and wind up in that strange and confusing place known as "the wild."

Of the

Of the four, only Marty, the zebra (voiced by Chris Rock), has any desire to make the trip. On his 10th birthday, in spite of a lovely party thrown by his friends, Marty finds himself in a midlife crisis, and decides to visit the open spaces and grassy savannahs of Connecticut (in whose woods, unbeknownst to him, a leopard once prowled in an older, better movie).

Tagging along with a claque of hard-boiled penguins, who have been re-enacting "The Great Escape," Marty lights out for Grand Central Terminal, and his worried pals go after him, arriving at the station by subway in one of the movie's better sequences.

Then, their departure misinterpreted as a result of unhappiness with the zoo, the lot of them are shipped off to a wildlife preserve in Kenya. Instead, by accident, they land on the island that gives the film its title - a place where, in real life, creatures like them are no more likely to be found than at the Central Park Zoo - as well as an excuse to fill the screen with adorable, big-eyed lemurs.

The annoying sidekick is a longstanding feature of child-oriented animated entertainment. The chief innovation of "Madagascar" is that it consists entirely of annoying sidekicks, whose tics and quirks are not quite sufficient to make them interesting characters.

Marty's best pal is the lion, a vain, talkative cat named Alex, who speaks in the rapid-fire, passive-aggressive voice of Ben Stiller. The giraffe, a hypochondriac named Melman, is played by David Schwimmer, and Jada Pinkett Smith is the hippo, a no-nonsense, talk-to-the-hand, big sisterly type named Gloria. Julien, the king of the lemurs (Sacha Baron Cohen, of "Da Ali G Show"), is perhaps the most annoying character of them all, with his strange, quasi-Caribbean accent and his slinky dance moves, and even he gets a sidekick of his own (Cedric the Entertainer).

Add to this a score by Hans Zimmer, and you may find yourself longing for the quiet and relaxation of a Midtown traffic jam. Like so many other animated features - "Robots" is another recent example - "Madagascar" spends all its imaginative resources on visual novelty while piecing its story together out of tired conventions and loud, obvious jokes. Some of the New York scenes are both witty and grand, fusing a romantic iconography of Manhattan with incongruous animal movements in a way that makes the city feel both wild and cozy, but once the animals leave town, the movie quickly runs out of ideas.

One advantage to working with talking animals seems to be that they provide an excuse to indulge in scatological humor. Sometimes this is amusing, though the funniest example will surely sail over the heads of younger viewers: "Tom Wolfe is speaking tonight at Lincoln Center," says one sophisticated monkey to another. "Of course we're going to throw poo." On the other hand, I'm not sure why the sight of a giraffe eating a deodorant cake from a urinal is supposed to be funny, unless I'm missing the point, and it's actually supposed to be realistic.

Probably not, since the reality of life in the wild is something that this movie, like others of its kind, treats with anxious timidity. One of the apparent aims of "Madagascar" is to promote interspecies harmony as a metaphor for multicultural tolerance, a sweet enough idea complicated by the fact that perfectly nice animals often kill and eat one another.

Alex, the citified lion, has evolved beyond such unpleasantness; at the zoo, his prey is delivered to him in the form of steaks, the cute and furry origins of which are discreetly suppressed. Out in the wild, though, his predatory nature reasserts itself, especially since part of Madagascar is inhabited by hyenalike creatures called fusa, which menace both the native lemurs and the visiting New Yorkers.

Alex's regression provides the only suggestion of dramatic tension in the movie, which is otherwise smilingly innocuous, with an occasional gesture toward mild naughtiness. It has neither the wit and pathos of "Chicken Run" nor the emotional sweep and adventurous spirit of "Finding Nemo," though it limpingly follows them for a plot point or two.

Instead, it condescends to both its audience - who it figures will be satisfied with cuteness, flatulence, movie-star voices and bright colors - and to its characters, about whose lives and aspirations it could hardly care less. "Madagascar" arouses no sense of wonder, except insofar as you wonder, as you watch it, how so much talent, technical skill and money could add up to so little.
  4. Jan 21, 2016
    It's another animal adventure from DreamWorks. If you like to move to the beat, this movie's for you. It's not that memorable anyways, but the feelings are granted and the funniness works.
  5. Jan 5, 2016
    WHAT I LIKED: A whitty animation that will appeal to adults and children alike - 'Madagascar' is paugh out loud funny. The characters are well realised (partially thanks to their voiceovers) so everyone can get into the story
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It's not the most interesting film in terms of plot, so isn't as classic for family watching as a pixar etc.
    VERDICT: A fun and pacey animation
    VERDICT: A fun and pacey animation that everyone will enjoy.
  6. Dec 19, 2015
    Madagascar has been a slightly funny movie, the characters entretenieron us , we not only fun , even a little , but the plot , the animation and the son the good script.
  7. Dec 9, 2015
    this is a great zoo movie, Marty is great, Alex is great, Gloria is a great hippo, and melmon is my favorite hypochondriac. all around amazing,and what I expect from dream works.
  8. Sep 12, 2015
    THIS is the best in the series. It's the original and the most underrated. The penguins are brilliant comic relief characters and the Lemurs are pretty good too. I have no idea why it's the lowest rated in the franchise. Oh well. At least the users gave it a "generally favourable" score. I agree with them a lot more than critics here. If you like Dreamworks, you'll like this.
  9. Aug 1, 2015
    Before watching this film: No related film precedes this.

Premise: A couple of city zoo animals were wrongly released back into the wild after a animal rights protest and a boat sinking and the animals must adapt to live in the jungle. Pros: 1) The big four animals are fun and interesting. 2) The penguins, monkeys and lemurs are great supporting characters and they often
    Before watching this film: No related film precedes this.

Pros:
    1) The big four animals are fun and interesting.

2) The penguins, monkeys and lemurs are great supporting characters and they often outperform the main four animals in making the film good.

Cons:
    1) The film slowed down in the third quarter and there were less jokes as the film becomes introspective. This should not have been allowed to happen.

Score: 4/5 (no half score). Good enough to watch it in the cinema.

Who would be satisfied with this film? All children would love it. For others, the older you are, the less you would love it.
  10. Jul 23, 2015
    Great animation! DreamWorks and Nickelodeon made one of the most famous animated features of our generation! I haven't seen the other two parts yet though
  11. Jul 6, 2015
    This gave the franchise a great start but it should have featured more of the penguins!!! the characters can sometimes be quite annoying but it definatley has some good comedy in there as well!!!!
  12. Apr 20, 2015
    Holed up in Central Park Zoo, pampered zebra Marty (Rock) gets itchy hooves and decides to explore the Big Apple. When his buddies — vain lion Alex (Stiller), straight-talking hippo Gloria (Pinkett Smith) and neurotic giraffe Melman (Schwimmer) — go after him, their rescue mission goes belly-up, seeing the four friends carted off to the untamed wilds of Africa.

There is something

There is something deliciously neat about the premise of DreamWorks’ latest CG offering; taking institutionalised zoo animals and throwing them into their natural, wild habitat is an idea seemingly full of rich pickings. But Eric Darnell (Antz) and Tom McGrath’s (The Ren And Stimpy Show) film fails to fully mine the concept for comedic gold.

It is visually splendid, has a smattering of good set-pieces and gags and a likeable atmosphere, but it does not have the coherence nor the consistency to give anyone at Pixar a sleepless night.

et where Madagascar falls down is in simple storytelling know-how. In the initial zoo sequences, the motivations and set-ups are clearly defined, but when the characters get shipwrecked, the plotting runs aground with them, grinding to a halt as the foursome argue for an eternity on a sun-kissed beach. While the characters are likeable riffs on the actor’s recognisable personas — Schwimmer’s giraffe is Ross Geller with a long neck — none of them are loveable, so the film fails to deliver the requisite uplift it is so patently striving for.

More enjoyable than Shark Tale but falling way short of Shrek, Madagascar doesn’t really live up to the promise that the idea and voice talent deserve. But it’s still spirited, amiable, featherweight summer fun.
  13. Mar 13, 2015
    Pretty funny, and all voices are perfect. The best characters by far are the penguins. They have the best lines, the creepiest voices, and are just so darn entertaining!
  14. Oct 13, 2014
    It's modestly alright, a lot better than Shark Tale. The character animation reminds me of Looney Tunes movements. It has a better story line and more interesting characters, but can drag on a bit. Overall Madagascar is alright for the most part
  15. Oct 5, 2014
    Madagascar, um dos filmes de desenhos animados mais cativantes e legais que eu já assisti. Talvez esse, junto com Shrek, sejam os melhores trabalhos da DreamWorks.
  16. Apr 30, 2014
    Madagascar is an okay movie, but it lacks in substance and story. Most of the movie relies on corny jokes and sight gags to get its humor, which can be hit or miss.
  17. Dec 29, 2013
    "Madagascar" is silly and funny at the beginning, and starts getting strangely annoying and dull as it draws nearer to the end. I would recommend this film for kids, but for adults, it would be alright but you'll probably forget it in a couple of days.
  18. Nov 15, 2013
    A delightful ploy of city animals desperately attempting to get back home, 'Madagascar' has a sort of panache that most animation films try to have, but fail. All the animals are fun and hilarious, significantly the penguins. I don't see why this film is an average. It's a charming spectacle.
  19. Nov 13, 2013
    Madagascar advances to a point.
    Again DreamWorks attempts the same plot of just trying to be fun without much substance. Madagascar becomes entertaining until it simply gets old with little to no backbone.
  20. Sep 13, 2013
    Do not get me wrong I do not hate Madagascar but this film could have been a lot funnier and/or a lot more heartwarming. Look at the first two Shrek movies, those movies were funny and had a lot of heart. In Madagascar you see a film that is trying to recreate what worked so well in that movie and in some cases succeed but in some cases fall flat on its face. You have a really entertainingDo not get me wrong I do not hate Madagascar but this film could have been a lot funnier and/or a lot more heartwarming. Look at the first two Shrek movies, those movies were funny and had a lot of heart. In Madagascar you see a film that is trying to recreate what worked so well in that movie and in some cases succeed but in some cases fall flat on its face. You have a really entertaining beginning with some good laughs and an equally entertaining finale. However, in the middle the good jokes are few and far between and it becomes hard to care for the main characters due to the excessive amount of time devoted to arguing rather than advancing the plot and/or coming up with jokes. Plus, the only really funny characters are barely in the movie. However, I doubt most people especially kids will mind. If you are a child you will probably enjoy this film like I did when I was a kid. Adults may/may not get thorugh this film ok but it is watchable. While I do not think it is as good as Shrek I do not think it is bad. Enough of the jokes work, there is some heart, and the side characters are pretty funny. If you are looking for a couple laughs this film will satisfy. However, if you are looking for that really funny and/or heartwarming film like Shrek you will not find it here. This film is not the next Shrek. Instead we have a decent film with a few good laughs and amusing side characters that is a rent. Second act of this film really brings it down but some good laughs in the first and third acts make it watchable. Expand
  21. Jul 5, 2013
    "Madagascar" uses most of its humor on animals doing things that humans do, and while its okay, its quite dragging. The film is overall fun and somehow enjoying, but its pop culture references are tiresome with... well, all Dreamwork Animation films. New characters have moments of shine especially the penguins, and while it plot lacks nearly any clever ideas, its humor can almost, but not"Madagascar" uses most of its humor on animals doing things that humans do, and while its okay, its quite dragging. The film is overall fun and somehow enjoying, but its pop culture references are tiresome with... well, all Dreamwork Animation films. New characters have moments of shine especially the penguins, and while it plot lacks nearly any clever ideas, its humor can almost, but not quite, help it pass on by. Expand
  22. Mar 24, 2013
    I can honestly say, this is a mixed bag. With the story of Alex, Marty, Gloria and Melman escaping from the zoo, they escape with some pretty funny scenes and ending with bad fighting scenes. Nuff said.
  23. Dec 18, 2012
    Solid voice acting, but its story is too simplistic. Simply fails at being entertaining throughout, even with its short length. Bland animated feature.
  24. May 28, 2012
    There is nothing good about this movie except its impact to children, which is the reason I gave a 2, not a 0, and for its memorable anthem, that is I LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT, which for me is super horrendous and corny...............
  25. Mar 9, 2012
    A fun animated film. While it does have little of a lesson to learn from it, the characters are fun and the story is unique (until The Wild was released).
  26. Jan 29, 2012
    It is not nearly as funny as people will hope or as it should be but it is sometimes funny and features great voice acting and memorable moments kids will talk about forever. I give this movie 56%.
  27. Nov 30, 2011
    A fun movie. It's quite funny, the plot's all right and it's well voiced. It's not as good as Shrek, or anything Pixar have made but it is one of the better Dreamworks films. Falls short of greatness due to the fact that it is now starting to show it's age, which is a shame.
  28. Oct 23, 2011
    Now, in "Madagascar", Dream Works presents their homemade movie formula of "15% story and 85% fun". It may be amusing for the kids that have pure, honest hearts, but for the adults the film's baffling and confusing.
  29. Feb 19, 2011
    Easily the worst movie I have ever seen. Even though I was much younger when I saw it, I was very disappointed with the lack of sophisticated humour. Awful...Absolutely awful...
  30. Oct 18, 2010
    its not an excellent movie, but to be fair, its rather perfect. the animation is nice, the characters aren't so bad, and the songs are so nice and cool. Madagascar is a perfect summer flick for kids and adults.
  31. JackS.
    Nov 22, 2008
    Yes, the animation was fair. The voices were not that realistic. It had absolutely NO PLOT. There was barely any good jokes. Actually there wasn't any good jokes. The only cool thing about this movie is the song "Move It" and that the animation was fair. But, those are not what makes a good movie. Definately the animation part, I said FAIR, they really could of gotten better and more Yes, the animation was fair. The voices were not that realistic. It had absolutely NO PLOT. There was barely any good jokes. Actually there wasn't any good jokes. The only cool thing about this movie is the song "Move It" and that the animation was fair. But, those are not what makes a good movie. Definately the animation part, I said FAIR, they really could of gotten better and more realistic animation. But, even that only plays a small part of a good animation. The real part is this is ANIMATION!!! Not reallity. Animated movies are suppposed to creat things that truly entertain the minds of people. This was way to ordinary. Hasn't any of you already thought of a bunch of zoo animals washing up on a shore of an island? This is orgiinal. The jokes were the lamest jokes ever, they're worse then my friends jokes! When he tries to crack one everyone who hears it wil go totally silent, everytime. This is no hyperbole, everyone goes silent when he tries a joke, even if we are cracking up at the table. Expand
  32. Sam
    Nov 4, 2006
    Yes, Madagascar can be funny at times, but it lacks the wit and charm of Shrek, its sequel, and Over the Hedge. But at least it's an improvement over the disatrous Shark Tale.
  33. BrianS.
    Nov 1, 2006
    Funny,Sweet and Highly Addicting.
  34. m
    Aug 6, 2006
    Good.
  35. RamiW.
    Jun 3, 2006
    the lemurs are so funny i cracked up laughing and dancing about that song so everybody stop giving this movie a low score and MOVE IT!
  36. Joey
    May 10, 2006
    I could see a fantastic movie here - until the end. It was really good start -middle but it just ended suddenly. I enjoyed the film but I would've given it a higher score if it had a better ending.
  37. SaraH.
    Feb 6, 2006
    The penguins rocked. The rest sucked. My 5 year old sister liked it though and alot of my friends do too. I was bored with it.
  38. AlisonR.
    Jan 1, 2006
    Insufferable.
  39. BenD.
    Dec 31, 2005
    It was a beautiful masterpiece, even more exciting than star wars. Filled with sensational dialogue and heart warming comedy, the zoo animals take us on an exciting adventure through the WILD. Rivaling the Godfather, Citezen Kane, and Star Wars for the greatest cinematic experience of all time with superb animation. I LOVE this movie.
  40. WallyS.
    Dec 8, 2005
    I was expecting the best animated feature film of the year, it wasn't, but it has the wit and style we look for in one. It's funny and the kids will love it. ps: the penquins are hilarious!
  41. CraigT.
    Nov 19, 2005
    One of the best movies.
  42. Nawi
    Nov 16, 2005
    Boring. The writing is so lame and the story and jokes so bad.
  43. laurenr.
    Nov 12, 2005
    Best movie i've seen in a while. i love the movie so much i quote it on a regular basis. who will ever be able to forget the penguins and their escapades. whoever thinks that this movie was bad must have lost their sense of humor. to them i say, "If you have any poo fling it now."
  44. mememem.
    Nov 1, 2005
    Very funny.
  45. MarkB.
    Oct 24, 2005
    I waited forever to see this popular CGI-fest because Robots and Shark Tale left me cringing in abject terror at any piece of 3-D computer-generated animation NOT bearing the Pixar label...but the short subject featuring the Madagascar penguins that preceded Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit turned out to be surprisingly bearable (if immediately forgettable compared to the I waited forever to see this popular CGI-fest because Robots and Shark Tale left me cringing in abject terror at any piece of 3-D computer-generated animation NOT bearing the Pixar label...but the short subject featuring the Madagascar penguins that preceded Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit turned out to be surprisingly bearable (if immediately forgettable compared to the feature that followed), so I ponied up my $2.50 to finally check it out at a discount theater, and guess what? This turned out to be by far the worst of the sorry bunch: a film so relentlessly shrill, assaultive, headache-inducing, self-satisfied and aggressively unfunny that it ALMOST made me want to re-evaluate Shark Tale, which at least had some well-cast voices, and Robots, which boasted some impressively elaborate animation set-ups. (Notice that I said ALMOST; life is already too short, I just blew 80 minutes on this, and I'm sure there are sock drawers that need rearranging somewhere.) This completely heartless, soulless and utterly disjointed tale of city zoo animals forced back into the wild, where they have to face their primal instincts and temptations certainly had potential, but stampedes it completely beneath an endless cacaphony of pop-culture riffs and movie references (I hesitate to even call most of them "jokes"; they're so joyless and perfunctory that they're far more accurately described as checklist items) that take the place of a cohesive script; this is exactly the same chop-suey corporate writing approach that turned The Simpsons from what was at one time the greatest TV show on the air to the completely unwatchable farrago it is today. I was shocked to see Hans Zimmer's name credited to the music; his work may have been one of several contributions to turning The Lion King from an animated kiddie musical into a dramatic movie of real heft, but Madagascar is so wall-to-wall loaded with push-button soundbites from TV and movies (the worst example: the Hawaii Five-O theme IMMEDIATELY followed by the Chariots of Fire theme) that I honestly don't recall any background music that Zimmer contributed! I'm certainly well aware that the history of popular animation--from Warner Bros. Looney Tunes cartoons to Rocky and Bullwinkle to even the early years of The Flintstones--includes many examples of simultaneously appealing to kids on one level while pitching jokes to adults that the little ones won't catch (the "NUTS" gag in the Wallace & Gromit movie is a delightful contemporary example of this) ...but Madagascar tips the scale so far one way that it made me start to understand Michael Medved's appreciation of Barney the Dinosaur playing 100% to his wee audience and completely chucking the smart-aleck postmodernism, especially during the truly hateful bit about cute little creatures being devoured in the jungle that made one little guy in my audience burst into sobs. The character design is harsh and repellent, with the lemurs' egg-yolk eyes in particular being...well, an eyesore; the animation, especially of people and crowds, is frequently inept; of the voices, Chris Rock comes off as the most overbearing, Jada Pinkett Smith the least, and most of the others far closer to Rock than Smith. Some have argued that Madagascar's uber-rapid-fire, yock-on-top-of-yock approach carries on the tradition of what Tex Avery did so successfully in the 1940s and 1950s, but there IS a crucial difference: Avery's features worked because he limited them to 7 minutes. But then, Madagascar is hardly a movie that respects its betters: early on, a couple of monkeys discuss flinging their poo at Tom Wolfe. Now we can agree to disagree about I Am Charlotte Simmons, but for a group of hack committee sitcom writers to make a comment like that about the master satirist who wrote the brilliant novels The Bonfire of the Vanities and A Man In Full (whether he wears a white suit or not) merely underscores the wise old agage: throw one piece of poo, get 1,463,892 pieces of poo thrown back at yourself. At least! Expand
  46. StevenE.
    Oct 23, 2005
    As a member of New York's historic Congregation Emanu-El, I thought it was great that the animators included an exterior shot of that beautiful house of worship in the background of one of Alex's earlier scenes, so much so that I mentioned it in the Temple Bulletin and DreamWorks sent them a copy of a still from the movie. Other than that, it had very little going for it.
  47. Madagascarbeaker
    Jul 27, 2005
    The penguins were hilarious and cute. The lemur king was also amusing, and so was Melman the the giraffe. It was, however packed with corny jokes and some of the sub-plots dragged on a bit. I won't be seeing the sequel if their is one.
  48. MiriamM
    Jul 20, 2005
    I enjoyed the cute lemur, the penguins and the giraffe. Not so much the movie it's self. "Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave."
  49. DavidE
    Jul 18, 2005
    Hyper active and consequently very tiring animation, characters mostly with one note, boring dialogue, non-discript voice performances, not many gags that made me laugh in fact I found the film annoying and wanted to leave half way through. Stayed for my child right to the bitter end. although it barely ended just petered out. I only hope it wasn't for a sequal?
  50. HarrisonB.
    Jul 16, 2005
    So far, the oscar winning animated feature. It is incredibly hilarious. It was a good, beginning, funny, animated movie that delivers.
  51. WarrenB.
    Jul 13, 2005
    Loved the Pengins, more chimps required, just watch for the chimps phase being repeated everywhere, as with most reviewers what plot? fear a second film impossible - nowhere near shrek.
  52. RoyM
    Jul 11, 2005
    I only laughed once and chuckled a half dozen more times. I just didn't find it funny. Although there weren't many kids in the audience when I went, I didn't hear them laughing either.
  53. Nic
    Jun 30, 2005
    Good Movie.. The characters were funny and cute.. I really like the show.. I hope there's part 2 of the movie.
  54. SangH.
    Jun 25, 2005
    This was pretty good, funny, cute. My friends and I were all amused by the movie, and the jokes just kept on coming. This was a pretty good film as they come.
  55. DiegoD.
    Jun 24, 2005
    It's very funny, but too short! When it ended I thought I was in the middle of the story!
  56. Tonydannie
    Jun 17, 2005
    I was Dissapointed through out the whole thing. Alex The Lion voiced By Ben Stiller is about as annoying as Ben Stiller In person. Chris Rock had nothing funny to say. david Schwimer's girafe Charecter whined way to much and was to familair to another Scwimer Charecter.. I was waiting to hear him Yell out that "We were on a break" line. And those lemers were just boring. To think I was Dissapointed through out the whole thing. Alex The Lion voiced By Ben Stiller is about as annoying as Ben Stiller In person. Chris Rock had nothing funny to say. david Schwimer's girafe Charecter whined way to much and was to familair to another Scwimer Charecter.. I was waiting to hear him Yell out that "We were on a break" line. And those lemers were just boring. To think this was the studio that brought us Shrek and the Less favorite by some but in my opinion much more funny film Shark tale. Kids will definitly think this is funny. but for us adults looking to escape from the usual comedy trash hollywood throws at us, this movie falls short on entertainment... How ever Those Penguins are a riot but not worth paying the theater admission just for 3 or four laughs here or there. That was my mistake. Wait for it on DvD. Expand
  57. Alex
    Jun 13, 2005
    Madagascar was actually pretty good. i had wanted to see it for some time, but i didn't have the highest of expectations for it. i was (thankfully) proven wrong. quite funny, especially when it came to the Lemurs singing "I Like to Move It", and the penguins discovering antartica. i'm waiting for the sequel.
  58. jordanm.
    Jun 12, 2005
    This movie was great.I loved all the animals. They all had alot of humor. They were funny especially the penguins. The one that always had his eyes crossed was especially funny. I liked the lemur especially when he goes," i like to move it move it i like to MOVE IT!!!" I also liked Alex the lion and my mom liked Gloria the hippo and my sister liked the lemur and my grandma came with us This movie was great.I loved all the animals. They all had alot of humor. They were funny especially the penguins. The one that always had his eyes crossed was especially funny. I liked the lemur especially when he goes," i like to move it move it i like to MOVE IT!!!" I also liked Alex the lion and my mom liked Gloria the hippo and my sister liked the lemur and my grandma came with us and she seemed to like all of them. Expand
  59. jeffn
    Jun 8, 2005
    Just weak. i think we're spoiled by pixar and companies that do animation well with good plot, good characters, artistic deisgn, not just animation for the sake of animation.
  60. MichaelD
    Jun 6, 2005
    There were some funny moments. the penguins were funny the monkeys were great, but they onlly had one joke. This was not a laugh a minute fest, not even close. Im amazed at some of the reviews that criticized the incredibles and shrek 2 for having a plot. This could use one. Id like to care about the characters, but hearing 2 simps sing an old Sinatra song off-key was no help. And heres There were some funny moments. the penguins were funny the monkeys were great, but they onlly had one joke. This was not a laugh a minute fest, not even close. Im amazed at some of the reviews that criticized the incredibles and shrek 2 for having a plot. This could use one. Id like to care about the characters, but hearing 2 simps sing an old Sinatra song off-key was no help. And heres one thing noones mentioned. How about all those pseudo-hip phrases Chris Rock had to spout off. "Im off the hizz-00k" Um, no. No you're not. The actors were wasted in this snoozer. If you really want an average heart-warmer, watch the Heffalump movie. At least that was admirable for its earnestness and good natured simplicity. This movie has nothing. pardon me while I LOOK FORWARD to watching Nemo for the 50th time with my daughter. At least at the end of that one I want them to find him. Leave these chars in Madagascar, Antartica, anywhere! Just keep them away from me. Expand
  61. PatG.
    Jun 5, 2005
    Plot more complex than the Disney animated features. The "bad" guy is one of the "good" guys, and the morals (forgiving even a flawed friend, even good people can make mistakes, etc) are not as black and white as your average kid's movie. Ali-G steals a few scenes from the stars.
  62. VinceH.
    Jun 3, 2005
    My main criticism of this movie was echoed by Ace W. below me...the story. Nothing really happens here. Not that I would have preferred the busy-plot mechanics that made "Shrek 2" and "Antz" such chores to sit through, but at least some semblance of a story. Some shred of a plot that has peaks and valleys and maybe something of character development. Instead what we get is bunch of ideas, My main criticism of this movie was echoed by Ace W. below me...the story. Nothing really happens here. Not that I would have preferred the busy-plot mechanics that made "Shrek 2" and "Antz" such chores to sit through, but at least some semblance of a story. Some shred of a plot that has peaks and valleys and maybe something of character development. Instead what we get is bunch of ideas, gags, bits, homages, etc. all crammed into a 85-min cartoon. The first 15 minutes are pretty damn funny, moving at a lively pace, but thereafter it meanders for a while and doesn't really pick up any steam thereafter. The movie just kinda lies there, existing as the object it is, but with no real emotional core or jump-off-the-screen characters that make the classic moments of great animated films what they are. When your big climactic setpiece is boring, ya know something is wrong. Expand
  63. MelmanFan
    Jun 2, 2005
    YAY! Melman was the best ever! the whole movie was amazing but the penguins and Melman made it hilarious. David schwimmer is my hero and always will be.
  64. Tina
    Jun 2, 2005
    Very disapointed in this movie. Story line begins well but then gets week. Main characters are wonderful but when they all wind up on the island, the characters that they meet there are boring and same-like. If the writers would have put in a more varierity of animals it would have been more capturing for the mind and audience. The idea of returning to the Zoo would have been more Very disapointed in this movie. Story line begins well but then gets week. Main characters are wonderful but when they all wind up on the island, the characters that they meet there are boring and same-like. If the writers would have put in a more varierity of animals it would have been more capturing for the mind and audience. The idea of returning to the Zoo would have been more touching and realistic in believing that they were leaving the island not because it was filled with one or two different kind of animals but hundereds. And that they were leaving because they were homesick, not just because they were bored as I was in watching this movie. Sorry. I think the movie took advantage of the kids getting out of school and being the only movie on the marque. Expand
  65. PatC.
    Jun 2, 2005
    OK for kids but rather awkward and simplistic.
  66. AceW.
    May 31, 2005
    Uninspired, would be the best way I could describe this simple little cartoon. Not very much happens, which is probably good; as to many cartoons want to rely on super villains, or epic showdowns that become cliché. There were a few good references to other films and pop culture, including American beauty, 10, planet of the apes, and a twilight zone shout out that sailed over the Uninspired, would be the best way I could describe this simple little cartoon. Not very much happens, which is probably good; as to many cartoons want to rely on super villains, or epic showdowns that become cliché. There were a few good references to other films and pop culture, including American beauty, 10, planet of the apes, and a twilight zone shout out that sailed over the heads of almost everyone in the theatre (My laughter was met by confused stares). But to many Poo jokes and groin blows (once is humorous but I counted at least 4) can give you an idea of the overall comedy and writing involved. The penguins steal the movie, and Ali G. was funny as well. That said nothing actually stands out as being memorable. If you have kids they will like it and that is exactly who the film is aimed at. Expand
  67. SusanM.
    May 30, 2005
    Not bad...not as good as Shark Tale or Nemo. My 10 year old neice said it was the best movie ever.
  68. DanielH.
    May 30, 2005
    Absolute cool movie! great! Just love it!
  69. HorktheGreen
    May 28, 2005
    Our local critic gave this a D+ rating, so I wasn't expecting much going in. However, we were in a full theatre and everyone ended up laughing their heads off (which I think always helps). There were some very funny lines in this show, and some great slapstick comedy. The penguins were hilarious. The Lemur King definitely steals the show. Worth seeing just to see that oddball Our local critic gave this a D+ rating, so I wasn't expecting much going in. However, we were in a full theatre and everyone ended up laughing their heads off (which I think always helps). There were some very funny lines in this show, and some great slapstick comedy. The penguins were hilarious. The Lemur King definitely steals the show. Worth seeing just to see that oddball character! Contains some great references to other movies/TV the kids won't get, but parents will... Planet of the Apes, Twilight Zone "To Serve Man" episode, etc... I say ignore the naysayers and get a group together and go have fun! Expand
  70. JimV.
    May 28, 2005
    Very entertaining and funny. Great animation and visuals. Loved it.
  71. TomD.
    May 27, 2005
    About as much fun as watching paint dry. the kids weren't into it at all and I blew $30 that I could've spent on something with more family-fun. It certainly does have 'blockbuster' written all over it, although Blockbuster is also a pretty depressing place these days.
  72. ChadS.
    May 27, 2005
    The main problem with "Madagascar" is that the penguins are more fun than the four main animals. They talk a lot but they're not saying anything...funny. The best line belongs to the monkeys, and it's not even original; its roots can be traced to a SNL sketch with Darrell Hammonds as Sean Connery. As a matter of fact, not a lot of "Madagascar" is all that original. If you want The main problem with "Madagascar" is that the penguins are more fun than the four main animals. They talk a lot but they're not saying anything...funny. The best line belongs to the monkeys, and it's not even original; its roots can be traced to a SNL sketch with Darrell Hammonds as Sean Connery. As a matter of fact, not a lot of "Madagascar" is all that original. If you want to see animals in an urban setting, there's the underrated "Babe: Pig in the City", and the notion of animals returning to the wild was handled better in "Finding Nemo". The animals get to Madagascar and the writers can't think of anything better than have the animals imitate civilization like the Howells did on "Gilligan's Island". Give the giraffe a girlfriend, or better yet, have him save the hippo from being eaten and start an inter-species love affair. The animals are so one-note. If the writers had any ambition, they'd give the animals a character arc after making the transition to the wild. But no. What we get is a hungry lion, a stupid zebra, and a gay lemur. Expand
  73. BruceH.
    May 27, 2005
    I'm trying to figure out why Cuba Gooding Jr. picked "Madagascar: as his comeback vehicle. Here's my theory: he made a bet on the election, and said that if John Kerry lost, he'd star in the single worst script making the rounds in Hollywood. Let's not forget that Cuba Gooding Jr. was a great actor in movie such as "Gladiator" (1992) and "Men Of Honor." He could have I'm trying to figure out why Cuba Gooding Jr. picked "Madagascar: as his comeback vehicle. Here's my theory: he made a bet on the election, and said that if John Kerry lost, he'd star in the single worst script making the rounds in Hollywood. Let's not forget that Cuba Gooding Jr. was a great actor in movie such as "Gladiator" (1992) and "Men Of Honor." He could have made a real comeback in a hipster independent film, or maybe with a strong supporting role in a quality blockbuster. Instead, he picked an incredibly tired vehicle about an insanely overprotective zebra who schemes to get rid of his nieghbor's prospective best friend. Maybe Gooding Jr. figured it would boost his image to co-star with Ashton Kutcher, but Kutcher gives the worst performance of his career in a story that wouldn't make a good sitcom pilot. There's nothing to this movie other than the two animals battling out in embarassing fashion. Topher Grace used to date Jennifer Garner who's now engaged to Ben Affleck who was friends with Kutcher who starred with Grace on "That '70s Show," and I mention all this because it's a lot more intresting than Grace's white-bread performance as the wimpy mama's boy girrafe who doesn't just tell his overbearing nieghbor to take a hike. And how annoying is that emo/pop puk music soundtrack? "Madagascar" is the first sure bet to make my list of the ten worst movies of 2005. It's rated PG-13, and you should SKIP IT. Expand
  74. MarcD
    May 27, 2005
    Not bad. It's way better than 'Shark Tale'. But, it loses focus about a quarter through the show. Still...Ali G's Lemur king will slay you.
  75. DavidF
    May 27, 2005
    Disappointing - I've loved Shrek movies and this one just left me shifting in my seat waiting for it to end. 6 yr old with me wanted to know what we'd be seeing next.
  76. thomast.
    May 27, 2005
    A lot a fun for all, Ben Stiller is great.
  77. jacko.
    May 26, 2005
    Witty and hilarious. Great animation and sumptuous images. Wished the story had a more satisfying ending.
  78. m
    Good.
  79. joshh.
    May 26, 2005
    This movie can be corny but other than that it is gr8 fun to watch, a nice film to watch after the brill revenge of the sith :)) make sure u go see this film!
  80. RadioLady
    May 25, 2005
    Great flick! This 65-year-old grandmother (and movie reviewer) took her 4-year-old grandson to a preview on Tuesday night! I don't know who enjoyed it more -- me or him. There are all clear signs that "Madagascar" has blockbuster written all over it. Hop in the SUV and come on down.
  81. mohdh.
    May 25, 2005
    Awesome,superb & excellent creativity.
  82. JonathanM.
    May 25, 2005
    Great comic timing. Very funny for all ages.
  83. JamesC.
    May 22, 2005
    Greatest animated family movie ever! Not as good as other animated movies such as the south park movie or the upcoming simpsons movie (oops have i said too much).

Eventually, it had to happen: a computer-animated dud.
  2. It's frustrating to see this wonderful-looking, laugh-out-loud funny survival tale fall short of its potential.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Pleasant, if mediocre family fare.