6.4

1. Oct 23, 2011
    Now, in "Madagascar", Dream Works presents their homemade movie formula of "15% story and 85% fun". It may be amusing for the kids that have pure, honest hearts, but for the adults the film's baffling and confusing.
  2. Sep 13, 2013
    Do not get me wrong I do not hate Madagascar but this film could have been a lot funnier and/or a lot more heartwarming. Look at the first two Shrek movies, those movies were funny and had a lot of heart. In Madagascar you see a film that is trying to recreate what worked so well in that movie and in some cases succeed but in some cases fall flat on its face. You have a really entertaining beginning with some good laughs and an equally entertaining finale. However, in the middle the good jokes are few and far between and it becomes hard to care for the main characters due to the excessive amount of time devoted to arguing rather than advancing the plot and/or coming up with jokes. Plus, the only really funny characters are barely in the movie. However, I doubt most people especially kids will mind. If you are a child you will probably enjoy this film like I did when I was a kid. Adults may/may not get thorugh this film ok but it is watchable. While I do not think it is as good as Shrek I do not think it is bad. Enough of the jokes work, there is some heart, and the side characters are pretty funny. If you are looking for a couple laughs this film will satisfy. However, if you are looking for that really funny and/or heartwarming film like Shrek you will not find it here. This film is not the next Shrek. Instead we have a decent film with a few good laughs and amusing side characters that is a rent. Second act of this film really brings it down but some good laughs in the first and third acts make it watchable. Expand
  3. Oct 18, 2010
    its not an excellent movie, but to be fair, its rather perfect. the animation is nice, the characters aren't so bad, and the songs are so nice and cool. Madagascar is a perfect summer flick for kids and adults.
  4. Feb 19, 2011
    Easily the worst movie I have ever seen. Even though I was much younger when I saw it, I was very disappointed with the lack of sophisticated humour. Awful...Absolutely awful...
  5. May 28, 2012
    There is nothing good about this movie except its impact to children, which is the reason I gave a 2, not a 0, and for its memorable anthem, that is I LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT, which for me is super horrendous and corny...............
  6. Nov 30, 2011
    A fun movie. It's quite funny, the plot's all right and it's well voiced. It's not as good as Shrek, or anything Pixar have made but it is one of the better Dreamworks films. Falls short of greatness due to the fact that it is now starting to show it's age, which is a shame.
  7. Mar 9, 2012
    A fun animated film. While it does have little of a lesson to learn from it, the characters are fun and the story is unique (until The Wild was released).
  8. Jan 29, 2012
    It is not nearly as funny as people will hope or as it should be but it is sometimes funny and features great voice acting and memorable moments kids will talk about forever. I give this movie 56%.
  9. Dec 29, 2013
    "Madagascar" is silly and funny at the beginning, and starts getting strangely annoying and dull as it draws nearer to the end. I would recommend this film for kids, but for adults, it would be alright but you'll probably forget it in a couple of days.
  10. Dec 18, 2012
    Solid voice acting, but its story is too simplistic. Simply fails at being entertaining throughout, even with its short length. Bland animated feature.
  11. Mar 24, 2013
    I can honestly say, this is a mixed bag. With the story of Alex, Marty, Gloria and Melman escaping from the zoo, they escape with some pretty funny scenes and ending with bad fighting scenes. Nuff said.
  12. Jul 5, 2013
    "Madagascar" uses most of its humor on animals doing things that humans do, and while its okay, its quite dragging. The film is overall fun and somehow enjoying, but its pop culture references are tiresome with... well, all Dreamwork Animation films. New characters have moments of shine especially the penguins, and while it plot lacks nearly any clever ideas, its humor can almost, but not quite, help it pass on by. Expand
  13. Nov 15, 2013
    A delightful ploy of city animals desperately attempting to get back home, 'Madagascar' has a sort of panache that most animation films try to have, but fail. All the animals are fun and hilarious, significantly the penguins. I don't see why this film is an average. It's a charming spectacle.
  14. Apr 30, 2014
    Madagascar is an okay movie, but it lacks in substance and story. Most of the movie relies on corny jokes and sight gags to get its humor, which can be hit or miss.
  15. Nov 13, 2013
    Madagascar advances to a point.
    Again DreamWorks attempts the same plot of just trying to be fun without much substance. Madagascar becomes entertaining until it simply gets old with little to no backbone.
  16. Oct 5, 2014
    Madagascar, um dos filmes de desenhos animados mais cativantes e legais que eu já assisti. Talvez esse, junto com Shrek, sejam os melhores trabalhos da DreamWorks.
  17. Oct 13, 2014
    It's modestly alright, a lot better than Shark Tale. The character animation reminds me of Looney Tunes movements. It has a better story line and more interesting characters, but can drag on a bit. Overall Madagascar is alright for the most part

Eventually, it had to happen: a computer-animated dud.
  2. It's frustrating to see this wonderful-looking, laugh-out-loud funny survival tale fall short of its potential.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Pleasant, if mediocre family fare.