Maleficent

6.9

1. Sep 13, 2014
    Magnificent! It is like a dream. Such a wonderful remake of a story of Sleeping Beauty. Awesome special effects. Jolie's play is superb, her cheeks, her smile. I will definitely show this movie to my mother.
  2. Jun 15, 2014
    I didn't expect to be as entertained as I was with this movie. So many of today's special-effects-movies seem to rely more on the computer and less on plot and story-telling. This movie was well thought-out and well-paced. Angelina gave a great performance. She could very easily have overacted the part. I can picture some other (unnamed) actresses giving over-the-top performances inI didn't expect to be as entertained as I was with this movie. So many of today's special-effects-movies seem to rely more on the computer and less on plot and story-telling. This movie was well thought-out and well-paced. Angelina gave a great performance. She could very easily have overacted the part. I can picture some other (unnamed) actresses giving over-the-top performances in such a familiar-type role. Jolie pulled off both characters, both the evil and ultimately good one, in believable fashion. And you can call me old-fashioned---I really liked this movie........so much more than that recent stinker of a movie about some Hotel in Budapest. Expand
  3. Jun 4, 2014
    I found this movie delightful. It was beautiful to watch. Angelina is perfect in the roll. I've always been a Maleficent fan. I even have a really cool Disney costume I ware every few Holloween. Anyway, if you want to feel young at heart for 90 or so minutes. I recommend it. Disney should have made the story this cool.
  4. Jun 10, 2014
    While it's fun to "make-believe" that frogs turn into Princes, Maleficent tells the untold tale of what happens when Princes turn into frogs. And it tells the tale from the viewpoint of the person who is physically traumatized and emotionally betrayed by the very person in whom they placed their deepest love and trust and the inner journey to heal from that horrific evil and reclaim yourWhile it's fun to "make-believe" that frogs turn into Princes, Maleficent tells the untold tale of what happens when Princes turn into frogs. And it tells the tale from the viewpoint of the person who is physically traumatized and emotionally betrayed by the very person in whom they placed their deepest love and trust and the inner journey to heal from that horrific evil and reclaim your own capacity to love...from the least expected source. This is a brave and true tale, told with stunningly beautiful direction by Stromberg, an ingenious script by Woolverton and timeless, flawless performances by Jolie and Fanning. Reading most of the "negative" reviews of this film, it's pretty clear that many people 1) simply did not grasp the subtle philosophical messages of this film and 2) want to keep their "fairy tale" characters either black (evil) or white (good). But telling those simplistic tales to our children does not prepare them for the complexity of the real world. Congratulations to all involved for crafting a blockbuster masterpiece that will actually create a better world by teaching empathy, understanding and the true meaning of love. Expand
  5. Nov 29, 2014
    This movie was way underrated by the critics. Personally, i thought the movie was great, Angelina Jolie rocked the part, and it deviated just enough from the original mvoie to make it good while still keeping true to the story.
  6. Jun 6, 2014
    As others have stated, the effects are amazing and Angelina Jolie is a great Maleficent. But there's more that makes this film worth-while. This movie modernizes an old, formerly-boring tale while adding depth to the most interesting characters. It blurs the lines between good and evil, exploring the fluid relationship between the two. Cons: Lack of humor (not that this was a comedy, butAs others have stated, the effects are amazing and Angelina Jolie is a great Maleficent. But there's more that makes this film worth-while. This movie modernizes an old, formerly-boring tale while adding depth to the most interesting characters. It blurs the lines between good and evil, exploring the fluid relationship between the two. Cons: Lack of humor (not that this was a comedy, but they could have done more) and an ending that left me a little dissatisfied. Expand
  7. Jun 7, 2014
    Не плохая графика, точнее она на на столько хороша, что ее не видно, то есть кажется что так и должно быть, так и было. Радует актерская игра Джоли, как всегда на высшем уровне. Не очень обычная история и развязка, но что-то в этом всем не то, не привлекает. Так же не оправданная длинна фильма, растянули как целую эпопею.
    Мой вердикт: сходить с девушкой самое то)))
    Мой вердикт: сходить с девушкой самое то)))
  8. Nov 13, 2014
    "Maleficent" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

"Maleficent" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Good: Jolie seems like she was born to play Maleficent as she was perfect in bringing the classic villain to the big screen. A mere cock of her eyebrow or well-timed menacing glare would often times be enough to get the point across. Perhaps the best performance of Jolie's career. The story itself is well done and Maleficent's transformation from wronged fairy to evil queen was one of the highlights of the film. As a fan of the classic tale, I was more than a little apprehensive with a film casting Maleficent as an anti-hero, but it was well handled and believable. The special effects were also, for the most part, top notch as expected.

The Bad: However, a few of the denizens of the fairy realm were poorly done and looked like cartoons. That was especially frustrating since the overwhelming majority of the film was an amazing spectacle. While I was fine with most of the liberties the film takes with the story (you are indeed warned that this is NOT the story you know, but instead is what really happened), there is a key part near the end that drops the film down a notch. I scratched my head at this particular scene as it almost makes you wonder why they made the film to begin with. Copley is hit and miss and on occasion over-acts. I sort of expected this from him though as it seems to be a common issue for him.
  9. Apr 16, 2015
    This is so good. I love everything in Maleficent, it's amazing to watch. Disney must be proud of themselves. I can't really complain about this wonderful. If you haven't seen it yet, you are missing out. Once again, great job Disney.
  10. May 30, 2014
    "Maleficent" was looking to create a dark magical tale based on "Sleeping Beauty", and even though it has its flaws, it did exactly that. Thankfully to its striking visuals and Angelina Jolie's magnetic performance.
  11. Jun 1, 2014
    Maleficent is a film that is very well made. Its not fast-paced which is a plus. Angelina Jolie is so good in the role as Maleficent, that words cannot even really describe how spectacular she is as Maleficent so spectacular is an understatement. She really got into the character 'Maleficent' excellently. Elle Fanning is perfect for the role as Princess Aurora, no other actress would haveMaleficent is a film that is very well made. Its not fast-paced which is a plus. Angelina Jolie is so good in the role as Maleficent, that words cannot even really describe how spectacular she is as Maleficent so spectacular is an understatement. She really got into the character 'Maleficent' excellently. Elle Fanning is perfect for the role as Princess Aurora, no other actress would have been better for the role as Princess Aurora then Elle Fanning, and no other actress would have been better for the role as Maleficent then Angelina Jolie. This film is perfectly paced and doesn't feel rushed in terms of running time. It's not fast paced and that's a plus in and of itself. It doesn't end too soon, it doesn't end too late. It's just a perfect 98 minute running time.

What I liked about this film is the cast because they could not have picked a better cast then they did for this film. Another thing i like about this film is that the story is amazing and even with some new twists which makes it interesting as I have noticed with this film. The pacing is great because it doesn't feel rushed like some other movies around 98 minutes can feel. The acting is perfect. Not one movie star in this movie had any bad acting, so i was happily surprised with that not being an issue. Although, I shouldn't have been surprised about that, because the cast in this movie is just absolutely superb.

The story and the visuals are also things that really stand out in this film like the cast does. I was very happily surprised at how amazing and good the story and visuals are in this film. They are just combined in this film perfectly. Not one time did I have a bored moment watching this film. It is an exciting and stunning film and definitely does not disappoint. I highly recommend this live action Disney take on Sleeping Beauty through Maleficent's point of view to everyone, except to really young children in the single digit ages.

After my viewing of Disney's Maleficent live action film, I give it an A+ or in other words a 10 out of 10.
  12. Jun 3, 2014
    Maleficent is the untold story of disney's most iconic villain, but does it do the icon justice? In my opinion, YES, it does. Is it a perfect movie, no it isn't the fairies look stupid, the story is a little in cohesive but thanks to Angelina Jolie's magnificent performance, as strong supporting cast, beautiful cinematography and a pretty good screenplay, Maleficent just passes into aMaleficent is the untold story of disney's most iconic villain, but does it do the icon justice? In my opinion, YES, it does. Is it a perfect movie, no it isn't the fairies look stupid, the story is a little in cohesive but thanks to Angelina Jolie's magnificent performance, as strong supporting cast, beautiful cinematography and a pretty good screenplay, Maleficent just passes into a fresh score. 710. Expand
  13. Jun 6, 2014
    Absolutely fantastic :)Perhaps the best movie I've ever seen!With the beginning and this kind of ending story is breathtaking.Angelina is BEAUTIFUL,and is definitely the right person to play Maleficent,and she pulled it off flawlessly:)One of the movies that I am going to watch many times!
  14. Jun 8, 2014
    Great movie, haters gonna hate. Jolie plays an awesome role, lots of action to be had, cool effects, and it is a bit too violent for young kids which means it is a darker Disney film for those worried about too much cute. Best of all....no singing!
  15. Jun 4, 2014
    I love the 1959 classic so this is the perfect tribute to the 1959 classic so whenever you get the chance go and see it before it's to late! I saw it!
  16. Jun 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is a very symbolic film and if you take the chance to sit and reflect upon what you have seen, I think you will agree with me in saying that the story is was intelligently written. Although fairy tales are fantasy, they often make comments on the real world, and this film establishes the fact that nobody is simply evil.

This is not a recreation of Maleficent or Sleeping Beauty, it is a revision and it executes that perfectly. My only flaw with the film was that the cruelty of Maleficent did not really develop to the climax (Aurora's curse).
  17. Jul 13, 2014
    A very predictable movie with a little twist on the original. this movie is based from the movie "Sleeping Beauty." It is a Disney movie so i guess that is justified. it is intended for a younger audience. with some touching moments it was a movie i actually enjoyed, it brought a little hope after i was disappointed from the movie "Godzilla." The good acting brought the characters to life. 7.3/10
  18. May 31, 2014
    LOVE IT! I would definitely see it again. To the Top Critics: This is not American Hustle or The Wolf of Wall Street folks..THIS IS DISNEY. Treat it like a Disney movie. --- I thought they did a wonderful job recreating Maleficent! My whole family loved it.
  19. May 30, 2014
    Maleficent was truly amazing in my opinion. I loved the back story to Maleficent, it really seemed to make the original story make more sense. The casting was perfect, everyone seemed to fit each character from the original animation perfectly. The plot twists were great, I did not see them coming, as I do in most movies. I went with my wife, and her cousin, none of us expected it to beMaleficent was truly amazing in my opinion. I loved the back story to Maleficent, it really seemed to make the original story make more sense. The casting was perfect, everyone seemed to fit each character from the original animation perfectly. The plot twists were great, I did not see them coming, as I do in most movies. I went with my wife, and her cousin, none of us expected it to be Great, but we all left deeply satisfied thinking it was one of the best movies this season. Maybe it was because we went in with low expectations that we felt so good about the movie. Maleficent is one of my favorite Disney villains of all time, and it actually makes me yearn for more villain back story movies, Maybe Ursula or Jafar. Expand
  20. Jun 1, 2014
    Entertaining movie. Angelina is wonderful! Not one thing about this movie that I didn't like. Really? People rating it below 60 are obviously haters of the star or weren't paying attention to the movie.
  21. May 31, 2014
    This was the best movie I have seen in quite a while! Everything was stunning, and I feel truly privileged that I was able to see such a wonderful film!
  22. May 31, 2014
    This is a terrific movie! Such a fine line between children's fairy tale and serious adult morality. Unparalleled graphics, great story, unmatched actors. 56 points? Metacritic sad.
  23. May 30, 2014
    This film was way better than I expected it to be. Jolie's performance was near perfect. I can see some of the criticism about the action sequences, but the story works and so do most of the performances. The way critics were talking pre-screening, I was expecting a real disaster. The film is good. I'd pay to see it again and I very rarely do that.
  24. Jun 2, 2014
    I absolutely loved this film. Every single thing about it. I am pretty sure that this will be a new halloween costume for me. I know I"ll buy the dvd.
  25. Jun 3, 2014
    Angelina Jolie gets crisply chiseled cheeks and a horned headdress as the villainous star of Disney's Sleeping Beauty legend. This is one of those origins stories that upends expectations and reveals the sad, touching truth behind the wicked profile. Luckily, Jolie is up to the demands. Her commanding performance is the film's strongest feature. The writing is not special, the visuals tendAngelina Jolie gets crisply chiseled cheeks and a horned headdress as the villainous star of Disney's Sleeping Beauty legend. This is one of those origins stories that upends expectations and reveals the sad, touching truth behind the wicked profile. Luckily, Jolie is up to the demands. Her commanding performance is the film's strongest feature. The writing is not special, the visuals tend toward high-end animation and the 3 fairies that are supposed to provide comic relief don't. Luckily, its short running time (97 minutes), brisk pace and Jolie's presence help make this a moderately enjoyable film. Expand
  26. Jun 1, 2014
    While this maybe troublesome for people in love with the Sleeping Beauty tale, this is a more moving and creative story. Angelina Jolie is wonderful is every facet of her role as the scorned fairy. If not released during the height of summer movie blockbusters this film would easily meet movie goers expectations.
  27. May 31, 2014
    I found it very entertaining and one that you can take children to, probably 7+ years old. Angelina Jolie was very good and she definitely makes this movie better than it would have been without her. I also found it slow at the beginning until Jolie really gets involved in the story. The only criticism I have is that there are many elements of the story that are puzzling andI found it very entertaining and one that you can take children to, probably 7+ years old. Angelina Jolie was very good and she definitely makes this movie better than it would have been without her. I also found it slow at the beginning until Jolie really gets involved in the story. The only criticism I have is that there are many elements of the story that are puzzling and unrealistic, but then this is based on a fairy tale so how can you expect that everything in the story is going to make perfect sense. I believe it has appeal for both boys and girls. The empowerment aspect for girls and sufficient action for boys. Expand
  28. May 31, 2014
    Absolutely spectacular! Angelina Jolie played the role to perfection. The story was great. I do wish they would have made it a little more dark, but overall, spectacular movie!! Must go see!!!
  29. Jun 2, 2014
    Actually a good deal of fun, or at least more than I'd expected. Jolie seems to be having a lot of fun with the character, and it makes me want to see more roles of this nature from her. The films looks nice, moves pretty fast and contained a good deal of humor, as well. And of top of it, its running time seemed just about right (going just over an hour and a half). The length isActually a good deal of fun, or at least more than I'd expected. Jolie seems to be having a lot of fun with the character, and it makes me want to see more roles of this nature from her. The films looks nice, moves pretty fast and contained a good deal of humor, as well. And of top of it, its running time seemed just about right (going just over an hour and a half). The length is especially welcomed considering the overly long running times of so many other current films in this genre, many way out-staying their welcome at two and a half or more hours (or running almost three hours AND split into three movies *cough*Hobbit*cough*). As a relaxed, easy-to-swallow family pic with a somewhat classical, old-time Disney feel, sit back and enjoy it. Expand
  30. Jun 10, 2014
    OK, so it's not sleeping beauty. It is a beautiful story with great effects and characters. I frickin' loved it. See it for yourself and don't let someone else make up your mind about the movie.
  31. Jun 11, 2014
    I was skeptical over the movie at first but once you get into it you
    actually start to make various connections to the characters. Its
    better than the original story because you get to see who Maleficent really is, you get her real back story, you know why she becomes evil, and you can really make connections to her. It has great special effects and great detail not just with the
    I was skeptical over the movie at first but once you get into it you
    actually start to make various connections to the characters. Its
    better than the original story because you get to see who Maleficent
    really is, you get her real back story, you know why she becomes evil,
    and you can really make connections to her. It has great special
    effects and great detail not just with the image but the storyline. The
    movie also is a great way to show and demonstrate what TRUE LOVE really
    is. I highly recommend you watch this movie and you'll get what i mean.
    And remember there's always a little bit of Maleficent in all of us.
  32. May 30, 2014
    Does what it set out to do... recreates sleeping beauty as a slightly darker live action film... Go in expecting this and be happy... it will not wow in any department but it is an all around good flick that delivers what it promised

Again I don't know what people expect from these Disney reboots ... I mean they are retelling the same story ... we know that and expect it... why try and complain about it just don't go see it
  33. May 30, 2014
    It's an enjoyable rewrite of the original story and a good movie. Some elements to the story feel unrefined, such as the starting arc which felt like it cut itself way too short, but the movie blossoms to high extents once Aurora steps into the plot and it goes strong from there, easily covering up those rough edges.

It's the only movie that I feel would have been better off ending a

It's the only movie that I feel would have been better off ending a minute earlier, because the sheer amount of cheesiness in the ending monologue before the movie cuts to black is so extremely cheesy, you could almost forget just how good the rest of the movie was. I have no idea how that is possible, but it left a very negative impression on me and my group of viewers.

Acting is superb. Every actor does a good job selling their character, of course with Angelina Jolie being on the very top to nobody's surprise. Visually though, it can be rough. Some of the mosses CGI Fauna do look like they were ripped out of Disney's full CGI movies, and the hazy panning in action sequences mixed with 3D glasses leaves a lot of very interesting action sequences a blurry mess that severely obstructs all the work that went into modeling the enviroment and creatures, so I would recommend opting for watching this in 2D, if possible.
  34. May 31, 2014
    Wow! This movie is awesome! Just saw it last night and it was much better than I anticipated. The effects and visuals are great, the acting is great and the storyline has a few unexpected twists that make it so much more up to date and refreshing. My young niece said it was the best movie ever! Good for boys as well though, with dragons, creatures and fight scenes as well as a bit ofWow! This movie is awesome! Just saw it last night and it was much better than I anticipated. The effects and visuals are great, the acting is great and the storyline has a few unexpected twists that make it so much more up to date and refreshing. My young niece said it was the best movie ever! Good for boys as well though, with dragons, creatures and fight scenes as well as a bit of tongue in cheek comedy. It also carries a subtle yet strong message with. it Will become a classic for sure, along the lines of the movies Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka (the original one). Expand
  35. May 31, 2014
    Maleficent offers a novel and satisfying take on the Sleeping Beauty story. The updates are appropriate and highlight the importance of female relationships and the corrupting influence of power and ambition. The humor is light and the visuals are impressive. I would not recommend the 3D version, however, as the action is often too fast to get much out of the format.
  36. May 30, 2014
    Based on 'The Sleeping Beauty', my favourite of the old style animated Disney Films, this is a credible and mainly satisfying re-imagining of that film's iconic villainess. This version benefits from a refreshing twist in the story's telling and an inspired casting choice in Angelina Jolie to play the malevolent titular character. Eschewing the campy humour that essentially ruined 'MirrorBased on 'The Sleeping Beauty', my favourite of the old style animated Disney Films, this is a credible and mainly satisfying re-imagining of that film's iconic villainess. This version benefits from a refreshing twist in the story's telling and an inspired casting choice in Angelina Jolie to play the malevolent titular character. Eschewing the campy humour that essentially ruined 'Mirror Mirror' and balancing its dark tone much more successfully than 'Snow White and the Huntsman', this latest fairy tale adaptation hits most of the right notes. The film looks great and the visual effects can take their place amongst the year's best. James Newton Howard's score never pauses for breath, but delivers everything that we have come to expect of his lush and sweepingly epic music. Also the narration that accompanies the story is strong and complimentary to the overall style. It's only really the temptation to resort to cutesy humour, as when the three tiny fairies become peasant women, that threatens to topple the film in to the realms of pantomime. Otherwise it's surprisingly good!
    On the negative side the flat and charmless performances of the two youngsters playing Maleficent and King Stefan as children demonstrate all the attributes to make even the most doting parents consider adoption an option.
    A plot point near the movie's end would seem to owe a debt to last year's Oscar winning 'Frozen'.
  37. May 30, 2014
    Really enjoyable film great effects and story Angelina Jolie is brilliant its Wicked meets Labyrinth which i think is a great compliment and its a PG film as well .
  38. Jun 3, 2014
    I have seen Maleficent twice now, so obviously loved it. It had my attention the ENTIRE time. Very powerful movie...cried when I was happy, sad and humbled. Just emotional all around, but in a good way. It's Disney and it's a fairy tale. A nice conclusive ending which is how a fairy tale should be. I can't say enough good things about this movie. Absolutely loved it. So did my husband, myI have seen Maleficent twice now, so obviously loved it. It had my attention the ENTIRE time. Very powerful movie...cried when I was happy, sad and humbled. Just emotional all around, but in a good way. It's Disney and it's a fairy tale. A nice conclusive ending which is how a fairy tale should be. I can't say enough good things about this movie. Absolutely loved it. So did my husband, my kids and my neighbors. Expand
  39. May 31, 2014
    I found it rather good, an interesting take on an old story characters were likable and i left the cinema overly happy with the movie, i would watch it again. That alone says everything you need about it as per usual critics have no idea what the hell they are talking about.
  40. Jun 20, 2014
    An interesting new take on the classic "Sleeping Beauty" tale, that all succeeds because of Angelina Jolie's fantastic performance. She really brings the character, and because of that the story, to life. It is equal parts humorous, dark, and emotional. It's also filled with that classic Disney magic. The only real complaint I have is that there are some things here that are going to makeAn interesting new take on the classic "Sleeping Beauty" tale, that all succeeds because of Angelina Jolie's fantastic performance. She really brings the character, and because of that the story, to life. It is equal parts humorous, dark, and emotional. It's also filled with that classic Disney magic. The only real complaint I have is that there are some things here that are going to make it hard for the younger audiences to get into it. I believe those who love and grew up with the Disney Sleeping Beauty movie will get the most out of this, but that's not to say it alienates any audience at all. Overall I found it to be a highly enjoyable take on the classic villain character and story, and I recommend you give it a watch. My total score for the film is an 8.8/10=Great. Expand
  41. May 31, 2014
    There is a lot to like in Maleficent. The problem is, taken as a whole, it's a series of interesting ideas shoehorned into a structure for a different story. This is the movie Jolie was born to play. Any second she is on screen as the villain from Sleeping Beauty, she is stealing the show. But the film goes out of it's way to remind you that she's not THAT character. She's an all togetherThere is a lot to like in Maleficent. The problem is, taken as a whole, it's a series of interesting ideas shoehorned into a structure for a different story. This is the movie Jolie was born to play. Any second she is on screen as the villain from Sleeping Beauty, she is stealing the show. But the film goes out of it's way to remind you that she's not THAT character. She's an all together new Maleficent whose emotional twists and turns don't quite make sense and are directed largely by the fate of being beholden to a fairy tale. Maleficent, the film, stabs itself in the heart by saying "here's how the story REALLY happened", and then proceeds to tell a story not quite as great as the original. In doing so, it stabs Disney's Sleeping Beauty as well, which is kind of baffling.

In the end, this film earns a "see it" automatically because it is REFRESHINGLY short. Almost all modern movies are about an hour too long and maleficent refuses to drag it's story on for no real purpose. As a result, it's a fantastic length, never boring, and a fun and egging story that pulls you into the emotions of it's characters even if they don't hold together as well as your imagination would paint them.
  42. Jun 2, 2014
  43. May 31, 2014
    Every true fan of the original Sleeping Beauty (1959) were skeptical about this and how much it had to deviate from the actual movie, and as more of the movie was revealed, it was only proving to be another female empowerment, victimized villain kind of a movie. But I'm glad I was wrong, for I'm sure only by watching the whole movie can we truly appreciate and understand the veryEvery true fan of the original Sleeping Beauty (1959) were skeptical about this and how much it had to deviate from the actual movie, and as more of the movie was revealed, it was only proving to be another female empowerment, victimized villain kind of a movie. But I'm glad I was wrong, for I'm sure only by watching the whole movie can we truly appreciate and understand the very convincing back story and development the character was subject to. Need I mention the perfect casting of Angelina Jolie, Maleficent truly comes to life in full form by Angelina's stunning skills and presence. A twist that's not cliché, sentiments that are deep, humor that's ever so natural and action that always keeps you at the edge of your seat! Maleficent in this movie is not exactly as we know of her from the few minutes we got to see her in the original movie, but let me tell you she's every bit deliciously evil. It was amusing to see Angelina play a role that requires a lot of nuances to pull of this character with a lot of depth as opposed to the one-dimensional character from the movie. Never letting off the grip, she carried the movie on her shoulders. Nothing to take away from the beauty of the rest of the movie which takes breath with excellent direction and visual effects that will truly transport you to another world, and the amazing work by all the 'supporting' actors. Yes, the other characters weren't as fleshed out as Maleficent, but I see that as good thing, given the title and theme. A spectacular balance. I'd also like to bring light on the enchanting score, thanks to James Newton Howard, this maestro is underrated.

A comprehensive movie, truly a masterpiece.
  44. Jun 15, 2014
    Saw it yesterday. I don't even know what to say. It was absolutely incredible. Some people say it was a bit cliche-ish but all Disney movies are like that, and this is so unique I am sure if it didn't have to follow the initial story of sleeping beauty this would have been different. The visuals were incredible. I especially loved the flying and battle scenes near the beginning (I thinkSaw it yesterday. I don't even know what to say. It was absolutely incredible. Some people say it was a bit cliche-ish but all Disney movies are like that, and this is so unique I am sure if it didn't have to follow the initial story of sleeping beauty this would have been different. The visuals were incredible. I especially loved the flying and battle scenes near the beginning (I think you can probably tell why because of my user). Certainly one of the most unique and interesting Disney movies yet. I would recommend it to anyone! 10/10 for sure. Expand
  45. Jan 3, 2015
    Gostei muito de ver a história da Bela Adormecida sendo contada a partir do ponto de vista da Malévola, uma das vilãs mais temidas do universo Disney!! E com um show de interpretação da Angelina Jolie!!
  46. Jun 8, 2014
    I was thoroughly shocked at the excellence of this film, having been dragged to it by my 8 year old daughter. It was visually stunning, and the faerie creatures were convincing and creative, but that's far down on my list of what makes a movie great in this day of increasingly impressive CGI. What I want is story, character development, acting, and good writing, and Maleficent deliversI was thoroughly shocked at the excellence of this film, having been dragged to it by my 8 year old daughter. It was visually stunning, and the faerie creatures were convincing and creative, but that's far down on my list of what makes a movie great in this day of increasingly impressive CGI. What I want is story, character development, acting, and good writing, and Maleficent delivers in a big way. Jolie was simply amazing in claiming this role. I hear they had to cast her daughter to fill the toddler scene because the other kids were too scared of her to perform. That's easy to believe. Maleficent simply radiates fear, power, and her need for vengeance as she seeks to revenge herself on her tormentor's child. She appears heartless, referring to the Aurora as a beastie, and seemingly roots for her death, at least when others are obviously watching. She is utterly 'maleficent,' or so she wants everyone to think. This movie exposes how poorly written Disney tales have always been and unlike the original sleeping beauty, feels like an actual enchantment and is presented as pure poetry. As a 43-year-old man, I didn't expect it to work on me, but like Maleficent herself, I found myself relent the deeper into the film I got. Simply a stupendous film. Expand
  47. Sep 7, 2014
    Jolie's performance so overshadows the rest of the cast (and the rest of the movie) that you sometimes feel as if the other characters are, like us, just standing around watching her.

Also, the sleeping beaty wasnt that beautiful to begin with..

Also, she had godlike powers and couldnt grow some new wings or go get her old ones back?

Apart from that, yeah good movie
  48. Jul 13, 2014
    I really enjoyed this movie for what it is. Yes people, it is very different from the original and also different from the books in the 1800s or whatever. But the movie in and of itself with the material I thought was decent. It have very good acting by jolie and the plot was pretty interesting. The effects were also good.
  49. Dec 18, 2014
    I can see how this movie wanted to mix up the usual fairy-tale aspects, and while it did have some nice ideas especially revealed towards the end, I felt as though basing it on another story rather than being completely original held back what could've been done with these ideas. That being said, Jolie was great and it is still entertaining enough. I'm giving it a 6.5.
  50. Jun 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Angelina Jolie carried it, even though she stayed evil for all of five minutes and the plot is as if a young unwed mother with an abusive ex boyfriend wrote a fairy tale. Teens fall in love, boy stabs girl in the back, or rather almost does, then changes his mind and just destroys the girl's ability to fly (someone cut off my wings, muahaha that's why I'm evil!) and soon, with the help of grandmotherly fairies, girl is raising boy's child while boy frolics in the palace and plots even more ways to destroy girl's life. But hark, girl realizes it's okay because the kid is just too cute for words. At least Maleficent wasn't condemned to a lifetime of working at McDonald's and living on food-stamps. So happily ever after in fairy land even if the kid's father does end up splattered all over the cobblestones. Expand
  51. Jun 28, 2014
    Fantastic film in every respect. Great twist on an old story: it's dark without being horrifying, and it's enchanting without being sappy or overly colourful. Good script, great actors, and a phenomenal performance by Jolie. Really reminded me of the old Hallmark Classics. Very entertaining and highly recommended.
  52. May 9, 2015
    I did not go in this expecting to like it so much. I was curious to see how they could make a movie on Sleeping Beauty witch, and ended up loving it. I really liked the character, and cared for her. Who knew I could like the witch. Once you learn about her story your opinion of her can easily change.
  53. Dec 16, 2014
    I got to say, it is rare these days when I would say that the adaptation is better than what it was based off of. Then again, Disney's Sleeping Beauty wasn't that great to begin with.

I really do love the alternate take of the story that completely humanizes Maleficent and shows her side of the story. There are a few rather big plot holes, but the story is so entertaining they can be overlooked. Angelina Jolie is just perfect for the role and looks like she is having a blast. Elle Fanning also did a decent job. The rest of the cast however is completely forgettable.

Overall:
    Maleficent is far better than I expected it to be and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  54. Jun 24, 2014
    Maleficent is a cinematic pleasure, which falls short from extra sugar coating and some average performances. Having a range of characters with little to no skill really weaken the movie and overall quality of this high budget film. There are a collection of laughs, which were great, but the story is ever so predictable. I would skip seeing this movie at the cinemas and maybe wait for a dvd hire.
  55. Jul 17, 2014
    A rather dull and unimaginative story line, made up for entirely by the brilliant acting performance of Jolie.
    Still an entertaining movie to watch, if not only for her grin personifying maleficence itself.
  56. Jun 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very standard feeling film. The whole concept is to switch around the story and make the evil witch into a good character. It is not bad at all. It is entertaining. I am not knocking it. Lots of cool effects and Joile is great. They could have picked a better Aurora. She is supposed to be beautiful. Very standard looking. They should have shown more of the king and queen. Expand
  57. Jun 19, 2014
    The film exceeded expectations in all, the story was very well written and in my opinion this version became greater than the original. The special effects were used well, the acting is mostly perfect in the role of Angelina Jolie, this is definitely one of the best Disney movies. Forget everything you know about Sleeping Beauty and start afresh. This movie teaches you the true backstoryThe film exceeded expectations in all, the story was very well written and in my opinion this version became greater than the original. The special effects were used well, the acting is mostly perfect in the role of Angelina Jolie, this is definitely one of the best Disney movies. Forget everything you know about Sleeping Beauty and start afresh. This movie teaches you the true backstory of sleeping beauty with lots of twists and awesome effects. Watching it in 3D is perfect. Expand
  58. Sep 18, 2014
    Very good movie an amazing update on sleeping beauty with all its plot so interestingly made .The visual effects were breath taking though i can say that disney has done an amazing job.
  59. Mar 29, 2015
    Maleficent es un largometraje que, al final, logra lanzar un buen hechizo para convertirse en una entretenida y abundante historia de cuentos de hadas.

Esta película logra darnos un buen espectáculo visual con sus buenos efectos visuales y su buena escenografía en esta historia que resulta agradable y bastante formidable y tierna señalando, digamos, unos aspectos más oscuros a la historia original de "La Bella Durmiente"., además, la encarnación de Angelina Jolie como el personaje principal de la historia (Maléfica) resulta tan bien actuado y creíble como "malvado".
  60. Jun 11, 2014
    Dark and gripping, Maleficent gives us a better, more realistic vision of the all-time classic and also one of the best movies I've seen this 2014. Highly recommendable.
  61. Nov 24, 2014
    A classic! Forget the haters. It is a very well made movie. The princess is not really convincing when she plays the innocent and marveled girl but that is ok. The prince well... we don't know a thing about him but.... The problem is that 2h is not enough to introduce all the characters only Maleficient and her servitors are focused in this movie. I think this movie shows the other sideA classic! Forget the haters. It is a very well made movie. The princess is not really convincing when she plays the innocent and marveled girl but that is ok. The prince well... we don't know a thing about him but.... The problem is that 2h is not enough to introduce all the characters only Maleficient and her servitors are focused in this movie. I think this movie shows the other side of this enchanted world and it is great. A great idea in fact. In that way we see magic effects all over the place. Something you don't find in the original stories. Expand
  62. Jan 18, 2015
    Not one of the Best spin-off villain movie. But everything is amazing. Strong Performances, Neat Story, better Sound mixing, VFX, and very good screenplay. Replay Value: High
  63. Jun 14, 2014
    There is no doubt this is a good film for younger types but it follows in the more recent pattern of big budget films taking ideas from popular artists and acting as if it was their own work-in this case another British artist's work has been pilfered-Patrick Woodroffe, the creator of Mythpoeticon-an artist who also did many album covers like Roger Dean, whose work was pilfered for the SFThere is no doubt this is a good film for younger types but it follows in the more recent pattern of big budget films taking ideas from popular artists and acting as if it was their own work-in this case another British artist's work has been pilfered-Patrick Woodroffe, the creator of Mythpoeticon-an artist who also did many album covers like Roger Dean, whose work was pilfered for the SF flick Avatar several years ago. Not much else to say about it except the main theme of the film is betrayal. How ironic. Expand
  64. Jun 8, 2014
    I really enjoyed this movie. The special effects are amazing! Disney did not disappoint! Angelina Jolie was perfect with great acting. I loved the little changes to the traditional Sleeping Beauty storyline. The story of Maleficent is one that anyone, boys or girls, any age will love! I highly recommend the movie but would advise that at times it can be quite scary!
  65. Jun 8, 2014
    Eu sou muito parcial em se tratando de filmes clássicos da Disney. E, mais uma vez não me desapontei. Malévola traz uma releitura da história da A bela adormecida, sob a perspectiva da então vilã do conto. Acho interessante esboçar este lado, em que o mal pode não decorrer do mal pura e simplesmente. Às vezes, pode ser fruto de uma injustiça ou de ausência de tolerância com o que éEu sou muito parcial em se tratando de filmes clássicos da Disney. E, mais uma vez não me desapontei. Malévola traz uma releitura da história da A bela adormecida, sob a perspectiva da então vilã do conto. Acho interessante esboçar este lado, em que o mal pode não decorrer do mal pura e simplesmente. Às vezes, pode ser fruto de uma injustiça ou de ausência de tolerância com o que é diferente do usual. Neste aspecto, o filme passa a mensagem perfeitamente. Ainda alude à questão, que vem se tornando uma freqüente, de que a princesa não depende de um personagem masculino para resolver sua vida. Há questões mais profundas, como o amor fraterno e o amor de mãe. Tão importante quanto o amor entre homem e mulher. Acho bacana ilustrar essa mudança de paradigma dentro das histórias juvenis. Angelina Jolie, como sempre, estonteante. Redundância falar sobre o talento dela. Os demais personagens ficaram apagados, infelizmente. De resto, figurino, arte visual, perfeitos. Bem como, trilha sonora, principalmente com a música tema, do filme clássico, cantada pela atriz ao final. Expand
  66. Jun 23, 2014
    Pienso volver a verla, iba pensando en un desastre y me encontré con una película que hasta hizo que se me saltasen las lagrimas con muchas partes. Grandiosa la actuación de Angelina
  67. Jun 29, 2014
    Maleficent was a great movie that was visually stunning. It tells the story of the villain in Sleeping Beauty. It gives the other side of the story which makes for great viewpoints. The cast was pretty good too. Stories always get blended over the years and this movie shows this. Overall I think you and your family should see this disney classic that I believe is better than Frozen and aMaleficent was a great movie that was visually stunning. It tells the story of the villain in Sleeping Beauty. It gives the other side of the story which makes for great viewpoints. The cast was pretty good too. Stories always get blended over the years and this movie shows this. Overall I think you and your family should see this disney classic that I believe is better than Frozen and a plus is live action. Expand
  68. Jun 30, 2014
    Maleficent is MAGNIFICENT!!! A heart-warming story of a mother's love. True love's kiss is not exclusive for romantic love only, but it is most certainly true in parental love, too. Angelina Jolie was superb, as usual.
  69. Oct 20, 2014
    This movie is a re-imagining of Sleeping Beauty told in a point of view from Maleficent, who is one of Disney’s most iconic villains. Because this is a re-imagining, there will be some changes from its original Disney adaptation and I have no shame saying that I liked this version.

This is more of a redemption story for Maleficent and I like it. The cast performances were really

This is more of a redemption story for Maleficent and I like it.

The cast performances were really excellent. Who stood out the most was Angelina Jolie. She really played one of the most iconic Disney villains really well that she is Maleficent herself.

The visual effects were amazing for this movie. The direction from Robert Stromberg is also really great. The cinematography really makes this movie visually appealing.

As for the plot, while I do like how it redeems Maleficent, I don’t like how it solely focuses on Maleficent. Aurora has nothing interesting to do in this movie. She felt bland and although this movie is told from the point of view from Maleficent, Aurora should have something interesting to show, after all it’s still her story.

The character development made me care about Maleficent and his apprentice, but no one else and this is the main problem of this movie. I don’t give a flying crap about the rest of the characters. They’re either “Eh, okay” (The Prince Charming/Aurora) or “I wanna kill them already” (The stupid fairies/The terrible father of Aurora).

I like how this movie is narrated. I am not going to elaborate on this part because this is actually a plot twist. Shhh……..

Overall, this is not the best Disney movie ever. But, it’s entertaining enough for a Disney movie thanks to Angelina Jolie’s excellent performance as Maleficent and the visually-appealing cinematography and special effects. However, don’t expect too much from this movie. I guess this is why this movie disappointed a lot of people.
  70. Jul 19, 2014
    LOVE IT! I would definitely see it again. Interesting twist to the original story . Great special effects. Entertaining movie. Angelina Joile is wonderful in this movie.
  71. Jul 20, 2014
    Maleficent is visually beautiful, the acting Angelina Jolie is great, but at times it movie can feel very childish. the characters are too flat (except maleficent) and Ellen Fanning for aurora is very silly, you have developmental problems and is very short. the 3D shows nothing new and it's generic, but it enjoys, will make you laugh and shows That Jolie Maleficent was born to be, to be aMaleficent is visually beautiful, the acting Angelina Jolie is great, but at times it movie can feel very childish. the characters are too flat (except maleficent) and Ellen Fanning for aurora is very silly, you have developmental problems and is very short. the 3D shows nothing new and it's generic, but it enjoys, will make you laugh and shows That Jolie Maleficent was born to be, to be a debutante director Robert stromberg made ​​a faulty well done and well made things work. but after all is entertaining and has a great prologue featuring the origins of the greatest Disney villain, to do it justice.
    Maleficent is the best adventures of summer 2014
  72. Sep 17, 2014
    Why so many people didn't like it? One of the best Disney movies recently. I'll give 9 because of some points that are confusing, but it's amazing anyway.
  73. Aug 23, 2014
    This movie surprised me. We all went expecting to be only slightly entertained but we were fully engaged and left, all expressing amazement at how good this film truly was. In fact, I saw it again a couple of week later. The trailers give the impression it is scary. I took a 5 year old and he never once was fearful. It truly is not scary at all. The story is good, the images capture yourThis movie surprised me. We all went expecting to be only slightly entertained but we were fully engaged and left, all expressing amazement at how good this film truly was. In fact, I saw it again a couple of week later. The trailers give the impression it is scary. I took a 5 year old and he never once was fearful. It truly is not scary at all. The story is good, the images capture your attention and the pace moves right along. If you haven't seen it at the theaters, definitely rent the DVD. It will suprise you for sure! Expand
  74. Dec 5, 2014
    A wonderful change in outlook of a traditional tale in which we noticed that the wonderful traditional tale of the Sleeping Beauty was narrated only from the human's point of view, but there is also the perspective of the fairies, and we will find it incredibly much more logical than the human's pretentious version of the story.
  75. Nov 11, 2014
    It was great. As the movie was nearing an end, my 9 year old looked over and said, "I wonder now who is the good guy and who is the bad guy." I think that's a good measure of how much they succeeded in making a new look at an old story. Angelina Jolie was fantastic.
  76. Sep 24, 2014
    In all the movie i was #TEAMaleficent, i love the fact that have a now history that don't depends of a man to break a curse, only depends of love, that all great movie
  77. Oct 7, 2014
    Wonderful job, Angelina Jolie! Perfect and funny! And, what a great story. I lost my mom a few years ago, and the story is right. There is no truer love than a mother's love.
  78. Oct 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this film! The fact that it shows you that Maleficent had a point to what she did and that she really did not mean it. So she really is a hero and villain. It also tells you that in this film Maleficent and Diaval were the only ones that truly cared for Aurora. Stefan was the true villain in this film not Maleficent as the fairytale says. The twist with true love's kiss was not expected I do not think by many. Personally I think that this film has been outstanding. Despite the fact that I am not a big Angelina Jolie I think she did exceptionally well in this film. My favourite two parts in the film was when Maleficent got her wings back and one of the mud creatures accidentally hit her with mud and Diaval started laughing at her so she made mud magically splat onto his face. Expand
  79. Nov 6, 2014
    I absolutely love Maleficent. I just watched it and it is amazing. I would totally want to watch it again. Coodoos to the directors and the actors. Awesome job!!!!!!!!!!
  80. Nov 8, 2014
    Storytelling Doesn't Get better Than This! What a brilliant story about love, betrayal, the lust for power, innocence and redemption. This is also about biodiversity and the clash of two worlds that literally exist side by side: one grossly materialistic, the other deeply spiritual; one ruthless and masculine, the other vital and feminine.

The spirituality portrayed in Maleficent will

The spirituality portrayed in Maleficent will make believers in earth-centered religions cry tears of joy. What a teachable moment for our children and teens! It teaches us what it means to really be a hero. It reminds us all that the spiritual world around us, as well as the natural world, are quite diverse and amazingly beautiful, indeed!

Maleficent is a scathing indictment of materialism and the abuse of power. I'm so happy I had the courage watch this film because it so rare that Hollywood makes a film that's neither incredibly dumb or disgustingly violent.
  81. Dec 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A very well done and beautifully crafted Disney film about the classic story of sleeping beauty. But this time, there is much more emphasis on Maleficent and Angelina Jolie gives a top-notch performance as Maleficent. Sharlto Copley was also good as a revengeful king who seeks out Maleficent. I would highly recommend this film to fans of Sleeping Beauty. 8/10 (Great) Expand
  82. Jan 9, 2015
    A n awesome, and more delightful remake of the 1959 Sleeping Beauty. The performanes were really good , and the special effects were superb. When I first saw this movie in the theaters, I sat in the front-I'm glad I did.
  83. Mar 2, 2015
    I've had this on DVD for a week now and the kids have watched it on repeat every day. By rights I should have pulled my eyes out of my head with insanity. But I haven't and here's why. This film is great. I didn't think I would like it. I didn't rush to the cinema to see it. But having had it play in the background constantly I have found myself getting drawn in. It is beautiful,I've had this on DVD for a week now and the kids have watched it on repeat every day. By rights I should have pulled my eyes out of my head with insanity. But I haven't and here's why. This film is great. I didn't think I would like it. I didn't rush to the cinema to see it. But having had it play in the background constantly I have found myself getting drawn in. It is beautiful, enchanting, funny and scary (for the little ones at least). Each time I've watched it I have seen something new.

I've also been subjected to the animated Sleeping Beauty, which is a favourite in our household. I always loved the part where Maleficent appeared at the christening to curse the baby and thought it was pretty scary. I watched the same scene from each movie in succession and quite frankly Angelina Jolie nails it. The scene in the new film is terrifying compared with the original animated version.

All of the acting was good. Even the dodgy Scottish accents weren't too bad. I don't know where Hollywood get their vocal coaches from, but they are getting it right. Ellie Fanning and Angelina Jolie have perfect English received pronunciation.

I'd like to see more of Isobelle Molley too, who played the young Maleficent. She was wonderful.

I really don't get the negative reviews. I think people have vested interests or are over thinking things.
  84. Jul 30, 2015
    I had been meaning for a long time to share my feelings on Maleficent featuring "Angelina Jolie". Last year I started on this review and had not quite gotten the time so I figured I'd finish it all up and post it. Maleficent 2014 was very nicely put together, all though it does show a completely different story of Maleficent than what we were all brought up to know, it was more likeI had been meaning for a long time to share my feelings on Maleficent featuring "Angelina Jolie". Last year I started on this review and had not quite gotten the time so I figured I'd finish it all up and post it. Maleficent 2014 was very nicely put together, all though it does show a completely different story of Maleficent than what we were all brought up to know, it was more like "Sleeping Beauty" or "Snow White"; yet the movie was still very good. I dont think anyone else could've pulled off the role of Maleficent than "Angelina" as she played it extremely well. The cast for this film did an amazing job and the additional writing into the story made the movie role very smoothly. Graphically it was a masterpiece. all and all this movie was amazing and we highly recommend it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Louis Black
    Jun 9, 2014
    Imaginatively, it places all the known elements of the story in different contexts, completely recasting this familiar fairy tale into a more poignant and resonant work.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Roeper
    Jun 2, 2014
    Maleficent is an admittedly great-looking, sometimes creepy, often plodding and utterly unconvincing re-imagining of a famous romantic fairy tale as a female empowerment metaphor.
  3. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Jun 2, 2014
    If this tiresome yarn is the ‘true’ story of one of Disney’s most popular villains then, please, give us colourful lies and happy ignorance.