7.6

1. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have never been a big fan of Superman. I even would go so far as to say he is my least favorite superhero. Is it being heroic to risk nothing to save an ant? Not quite. And to superman we would all be ants. So any movie about him has traditionally played up his two weaknesses most of the time. This movie does a good job of not making Lois Lane a weakness at all. As to the krypton stuff. There were no glowing green rocks in this one although that got substituted for a "foreign atmosphere" thing which, in a way, is more believable.
    The villain general Zod is both logical and convincing. His "evil" plot is not overly complex and is rational at all times. So even if the actor brought nothing extra to the role it would be "good enough" in the villain department. Certainly a lot better than some previous films that don't deserve mention.
    The bulk of the film is a smash fest with Superman and general Zod's army of 5 or 6 loyal henchmen duking it out. Quite often while they are being shot at by people from the army who don't realize after the first clip how ineffective bullets are. People who came to watch destruction are sure to get their fill.
    I also have to give top marks to the scenes at the beginning with Krypton. They do a good job making the world alien but still familiar. The technology and politics are top notch sci fi and not some cheesy throw away as they have been previously.
    With regards to supporting cast Kevin Costner does a good job playing Superman's "dad." He almost gives more to the roll than Russel Crowe puts into his surprisingly large roll as Jor-El. Both of them are a credit to the film. Laurence Fishburne is also a surprising face playing Lois's boss (name?) though he is little more than a bit player in the film he adds warmth to it. Him and Costner are the only two to do so.
    That would be my main criticism of the film. It's cut together OK. Shot a bit stylistically, but visually quite good CG'd up the wazoo. Top marks to the 600+ artists who worked full time on that. But in the end all the flashbacks add sadness and darkness for the most part and are not the inspirational warmth they are intended to be.
    It may be the impossible, a "good" superman movie. But it isn't great and I have a hard time imagining it spawning any sequels. Although I wouldn't mind seeing a prequel starring Russel Crowe.
  2. Jun 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Apart from the impressive effects really nothing to watch in this movie .First half is more like a documentary that totally mismatch to comic book. Christopher Nolan is always poor and he did great part of ruining the superman as well.Its so stupid that miss Lane appears right after superman kill the General Because before that they were fighting and moved away from her in a lightning speed.I believe Super man returns is far more better movie than this.Also absence of defense Secretary and President is a mistake,Writers were assumed that target audience is brain dead and that a kind of mock to their awareness. Expand
  3. Jul 19, 2013
    Great special effects, some decent fighting scenes, shaky plot and writing (imo) and good acting. I did find it interesting to see a more "real" feeling put in for superman. The movie focuses a lot on Clark Kent's identity crisis as well as his struggles to find purpose in his life. I never really got invested in it though the opening scene wasn't done very well and it didn't really drawGreat special effects, some decent fighting scenes, shaky plot and writing (imo) and good acting. I did find it interesting to see a more "real" feeling put in for superman. The movie focuses a lot on Clark Kent's identity crisis as well as his struggles to find purpose in his life. I never really got invested in it though the opening scene wasn't done very well and it didn't really draw me in. Add to that some questionable moments written to make the plot work better that detracted from my experience and this is simply an okay movie, instead of a good one. Marvel is still top dog in terms of superhero movies so far, sorry DC Comics. Expand
  4. Jul 20, 2013
    I will admit that the special effects are nice, ut overall the plot and dialogue is mess. The characters are made out of wood, and just boring action scenes. This movie was made for trailers not an actual cohesive movie.
  5. Jun 18, 2013
    This score is generous and based on entertainment value. DO NOT walk into the theater ready to compare "Man of Steel" to the "Dark Knight" trilogy, because you will only leave disappointed. Having said that, this movie is entertaining. It serves up a massive amount of action, and the special effects are killer. My main issue with the movie was the fact that I never really felt likeThis score is generous and based on entertainment value. DO NOT walk into the theater ready to compare "Man of Steel" to the "Dark Knight" trilogy, because you will only leave disappointed. Having said that, this movie is entertaining. It serves up a massive amount of action, and the special effects are killer. My main issue with the movie was the fact that I never really felt like Superman was being legitimately threatened. The plot issues in every Superman movie are consistent; Superman is literally just better than everything. But hey, at least he is the most humble superhero in modern film. #seeit Expand
  6. Jun 19, 2013
    Man Of Steel shows some promising aspects but is flawed. the relationship between Kal-El Henry Cavil) and Lois Lane Amy Adams) seemed unnatural and forced the battle scenes were repetitive and the climax was exceedingly disappointing and didn't stir any emotion within me apart from boredom Kevin Costner's touching performance as Jonathan Kent was the highlight of the film.
  7. Jun 16, 2013
    Strength: Visual Effects
    Weak: Kyptonian Society Premises.
    Strength: Visual Effects
    Weak: Kyptonian Society Premises.

The has the best Kypton Myth and i concur but it could have been better if the script writers made kept closer adherence to the concepts of Plato, which would have made the Kyptonian Society much more viable. Instead, we have Russel Crowe mouthing haphazardly a single line, without justification, about the demerits of Krypton, like a sales person brushing off claims of excellence of his rival's products, and Superman, with visible lack of compunction, ripping apart Krypton's solution to the questions asked by all intelligent being about existence (the Genesis chamber ship) with his EYES (who can blame him? It is unlikely for twelve-year olds to be able to read beyond Plato's words). Anyone with a smattering of understanding about Plato's thoughts would have winced and railed at such scenes.

Of course, it is the intention of the script writers to pitch freedom against societal pre-destination, with Superman, bastion of freedom, choosing to do Good and besting the best warrior of the totalitarian Krytonian society, who did 'Evil' in his attempts to fulfill his purpose of protecting his people.

In the end, General Zod's death speech bespeaks a grander character in the man than in that of an alien in tights parroting about freedom and choice, as he is brought up to do.
  8. Jun 17, 2013
    If you go in with no expectations, and you can make it past the beginning, the movie is decent. It's not amazing. Three really good fight scenes trying to carry an otherwise boring movie that raises questions to people not familiar with the story in almost two and a half hours isn't helping the case.
  9. Jun 23, 2013
    I have been anticipating this movie for sometime now and can't help but feel disappointed. For those wanting a solid story look elsewhere. The action/special effects made up for what could've been a disaster.

Pros:

+ Action
    + Special Effects
    + Good Casting For Superman

Cons:

- Story
    - Plot Holes
  10. Jun 23, 2013
    I don't quite know how to put my experience of this movie into words.

I don't quite know how to put my experience of this movie into words.

Probably the funniest movie I have seen in a long time, even though i'm not sure it was intended to be. A distinct lack of acting and emotions rivaled only by The Room or Nicholas Cage at his best. The story had no direction or narrative as well as some of the cringiest lines in holy wood, yet I wanted to laugh out loud at every one, towards the end having to use my fist to stifle the giggles.

I think a friend best described as either, the worst film ever made or a new form of post-modern comedy that we are incapable of appreciating at this time.

I would thoroughly recommend everyone go if they have the spare cash and a few hours to kill and are up for some so-bad-its-good gold. Alcohol may help get through the slower sections.
  11. Jul 6, 2013
    The terrible hype machine has played to much into this movie for me. I watched the movie in 2d and thank god I did the shaky and mass debris really put me off the action in man of steel, the story was done differently than expected and has its up and downs some good some bad, i felt the story tried to do to much and cram in way more than it could chew and clearly can see some rushed partsThe terrible hype machine has played to much into this movie for me. I watched the movie in 2d and thank god I did the shaky and mass debris really put me off the action in man of steel, the story was done differently than expected and has its up and downs some good some bad, i felt the story tried to do to much and cram in way more than it could chew and clearly can see some rushed parts if they spaced it out and kept in one story mode, basically its the original Christopher reeves movies 1 and 2 meshed up and it suffers from being crammed into one movie. The acting was solid and holds the movie together and the cast deserves praise especially Antje Traue who completely stole it for me, while it would make a great blu-ray movie I cannot say this was the rip roaring summer blockbuster it was meant to be and if they didn't fill so much in so little time it would of made a great superman movie however my biggest memory of this movie was the debris factor so much flew around i couldn't make out what was happening to whom and where and since superman is about action i felt quite disappointed in what should be its strongest sequences and scenes the biggest problem is reviewing what is most likely going to be a series of movies and the development of Louis and Superman or Clark Kent not alot was hit upon on its starting settings which will be built upon in its blatant sequels. This isn't a bad movie but it isn't the new awesome superman that seemed to be promised this isn't what the dark knight movies did for batman but its not to far off but if a definitive sequel is made it will have to surely deliver more or suffer the same fate as the transformers. Expand
  12. Jul 19, 2013
    es una muy mala pelicula, ni buenas actuaciones, excesivamente larga, tediosa. Las escenas de accion están muy largas y el actor no es ni la mitad del Superman que fue el anterior.
  13. Jul 21, 2013
    just boring, cheesy and monotone. henry cavill is just annoying -sonny boy...no edges....certainly no super-hero! music won`t stop during the entire film, it´s totally packed and you feel nothing else than relieved when it's over! booo!
  14. Jun 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Minor Spoilers Below

Man of Steel is the biggest disappointment of the year. What makes it such a letdown is that despite the interesting ideas it presents it fails completely with the execution. Take for example, the character development of the main character. Henry Cavill is a fine actor but you wouldn't know from this film. Clark Kent in MOS is a very poorly developed character. He has no personality and a severe lack of character development. And when I say personality, I don't mean that Clark has to be glib or witty, I mean that we as an audience don't get a sense of his point of view. We don't really see how he feels or where he stands. We don't see him develop a sense of morality or a sense of purpose. And this is largely because he spends most of his time listening to exposition of other characters of what he should be doing. We don't see him make any important decisions as a result. Instead he spends much of his life wondering from one place to another until through a very contrived circumstance; he overhears the discovery of an alien craft (Seriously?!) And when he finds the ship, he is told again through exposition of what he should be. Thus when he finally becomes a superhero (which in other origin films-ex. Batman Begins- is one of the most triumphant moments of those films) it is very flat and uneventful. The other main character Lois Lane, doesn't fair much better. Amy Adams is again a fine actress, but she is not a very interesting character because much of her presence is contrived. She often shows up in the film inorganically and is forced into situations with Clark and the other characters to keep the plot moving. As a result, she has really little chemistry with Clark because their relationship feels forced. Thus when (small spoiler) they finally kiss at the end, it comes off very flat and uneventful. The other characters are suitable but if the two major characters are bland and dull, that is a major issue.
    The film also struggles to develop its themes. In the beginning of the film two major themes are introduced: hope and faith. The film suggests that Superman will be a symbol of hope and how he will be the one find a way, do the impossible, defy the constraints etc. The film also introduces this idea that Superman will have a reciprocal relationship with the people of earth: he will have faith in them in making the right choices and they will in return have faith in Superman in saving them in their time of need. Only, these themes, as interesting as they, are again developed very poorly. Superman is hardly a symbol of hope in this movie because he simply doesn't do anything really hopeful. We don't see him inspire people to be better. We don't see him try to do the impossible. In fact, in the last scene of the movie, when superman has a chance to deal with the main antagonist in way that defies expectations (hence hope), he instead opts for the lazy and predictable way. As for faith, this theme is poorly developed for the simple fact that we barely see Superman interact with the people of the world. We don't see them "stumble and fall" or "join him in the Sun" because the film simply didn't care to develop these ideas. If you notice a pattern in my criticism, its that the film likes to introduce ideas but has either no idea what to do with them or the film decides to distract you with action.
    Which leads me to another major issue, the nonstop CG action in the final 40 minutes of the film. About a little more than half way through the film, the movie forgets about the character development and themes(which it handled so poorly already) and decides to show 40 mins of pummeling and tiresome action. If you are fan of Dragonball Z or the Matrix films you may be amused for a while. But there is only so many times that I can see someone be thrown through a building before it becomes tiring. And during these ridiculous action scenes, Superman forgets to do the one thing he does in every other version of Superman (comics, cartoon, Reeve's films): saving people. So many building are destroyed and so many people are injured and yet we barely see Superman even acknowledge his surroundings. Snyder was more interesting in topping the previous action scene than providing the proper balance of Superman fighting and saving.

This last point is indicative of the problem of the film: style over substance. The film gives the illusion of depth by introducing interesting ideas but does such a poor job developing these ideas. Instead the film tries to distract you with expensive CG action scenes, but even these scenes ring hollow because there is nothing beneath the action. If you are looking for film with interesting and relatable characters, quality storytelling, and good thematic development look elsewhere. If all you care about is action, you may enjoy the last half of the film.
  15. Jun 14, 2013
    I seen the movie man of steel and i give 3 and a half star's that doesn't mean it is a bad movie., i like more Superman (1978) and Superman II (1980) and the soundtrack of Superman (1978) is better.
  16. Jun 28, 2013
    I was so looking forward to seeing it after all the great looking trailers, but this is a mess and the worst movie i have ever seen. Everything was a mess. Long, boring and predictable like every other stupid summer blockbuster.
  17. Jun 27, 2013
    First off, screw the critics, I've lost any respect I had left for them, MOS is a masterpiece, THE greatest comic book film made, this is what Superman fans have been begging for and it was delivered with perfection! Stunning visuals, gripping story and the best action fight scenes I've ever seen, it was brutal! It made the The Dark Knight trilogy look like the Brady Bunch, I also lovedFirst off, screw the critics, I've lost any respect I had left for them, MOS is a masterpiece, THE greatest comic book film made, this is what Superman fans have been begging for and it was delivered with perfection! Stunning visuals, gripping story and the best action fight scenes I've ever seen, it was brutal! It made the The Dark Knight trilogy look like the Brady Bunch, I also loved the Sci-Fi aspect of it as well, Krypton and the spaceships were unreal, thankyou Mr Snyder for this amazing movie and please don't listen to the critics they don't have a clue, they still want Superman in red tights saving cats out of trees! MOS smashes 1978 Superman in every area, it's how a Superman film should be, absolute carnage! I was blown away by this and if the critics think it was so poor then why did the whole cinema I went to cheered and clapped in the end? I've never seen that before with any movie! Man of Steel is the new benchmark for superhero films now, It's way better than anything marvel has brought out, if I could rate it more than 10 then I would, EPIC in everyway possible!!!! 15/10 Expand
  18. Jul 9, 2013
    Most people loathed Superman Returns, I didn't, I loved its symbolism and its attempt to carry on the Richard Donner universe despite its lack of fun loving heroics that made the originals so enjoyable. So I have to say Man of Steel had something to prove. The film tells the story of what happens when far away planet Krypton starts dying and Jor-El (Russell Crowe) sends his son Kal-ElMost people loathed Superman Returns, I didn't, I loved its symbolism and its attempt to carry on the Richard Donner universe despite its lack of fun loving heroics that made the originals so enjoyable. So I have to say Man of Steel had something to prove. The film tells the story of what happens when far away planet Krypton starts dying and Jor-El (Russell Crowe) sends his son Kal-El (Henry Cavill) to Earth so he may live. When he arrives he is raised in secret by Jonathan (Kevin Costner) and Martha Kent (Diane Lane) and learns to become a hero people can believe in as reporter Lois Lane (Amy Adams) gets closer to uncovering the truth behind this mysterious hero's true identity. The feeling I had when I left the cinema was one of disappointment sure but not for the reasons I expected. I expected an emotionless sequence of beautifully framed rubbish, what I got was so much more than that. Man of Steel is excellent science fiction, its smart, its beautifully realized and it shows a part of Superman's mythology that has never really been touched upon by the films. It's a good 30 minutes before we are introduced to the titular hero as we see the collapse of Krypton and how their society broke down enough for Jor-El to send Kal to Earth in the first place. The rest of the film is a pretty conventional origins story but unlike Zach Snyder's previous films Watchmen and Sucker Punch, Man of Steel has an understanding of its characters and the emotions that drive them and brings out some excellent performances in Henry Cavill, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner and Michael Shannon as fellow Kryptonian and lead villain General Zod. The film looks brilliant, it tells a captivating story and it has well thought out characters except for Adams' Lois Lane who pales in comparison to Margot Kidder's interpretation of the woman (although Adams is better than Kate Bosworth's version of the character but that's not hard as a reasonably well trained dog could play her better than Bosworth did.) The main downside however is not an acting problem its the films ending, not for the surprise twist I imagine a lot of people are talking about but because that final hour is just a long sequence of destruction that could be 20 minutes shorted and would still bore me to death. The action looks good and in sections of the film when there is actual story its good to see it accompany the story but the end of the film lacks any real reason for this ridiculous over the top violence and the story is nowhere as strong as it is in the first hour and a half. In fact that was my main qualm, the fact that the first hour and a half, the tale of how Clark Kent becomes Superman is almost perfect Sci-Fi and it is almost ruined by a blockbuster ending, a conclusion based on what other blockbuster superheroes have done recently and not what this character should do, something Snyder should have picked up on but unfortunately didn't. Expand
  19. Jun 19, 2013
    Find the postivie reviews by users odd for this one. I had high hopes for the picture however the story fell very very short. Michael Shannon as Zod was amazing. Great acting. The story regarding Lois Lane was awful (knowing how to shoot a gun, from another planet, 2 seconds after being handed to her is just one example). Special effects were amazing, however movie was an easy 30 toFind the postivie reviews by users odd for this one. I had high hopes for the picture however the story fell very very short. Michael Shannon as Zod was amazing. Great acting. The story regarding Lois Lane was awful (knowing how to shoot a gun, from another planet, 2 seconds after being handed to her is just one example). Special effects were amazing, however movie was an easy 30 to 45 minutes too long. The only way I can see users liking this is because it is a "Superman Movie". I think in 3-4 years people will look back and say this is a disappointment. Expand
  20. Jun 21, 2013
    Making a movie for Superman must be very hard but I think that they did a pretty good job at it. It is great to see a next gen Superman but to be honest I don't think fans of the original Superman movies are gonna like this as Superman does not keep his identity much of a secret. It was great to see what Superman's younger life was like as I don't think that has ever been addressed before.Making a movie for Superman must be very hard but I think that they did a pretty good job at it. It is great to see a next gen Superman but to be honest I don't think fans of the original Superman movies are gonna like this as Superman does not keep his identity much of a secret. It was great to see what Superman's younger life was like as I don't think that has ever been addressed before. The fight scene effects where great but after seeing him fly threw 3 building it quickly gets dull and this really makes the movie drag. The movie is not terrible but you could easily give it a miss. Expand
  21. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie in the beginning after he was sent to Earth felt rushed to the point he found out he's from another planet and then after that it dragged out. You never got to see his childhood expect in flashbacks, which is another thing I didn't like about the movie. I would have loved to see his human parents finding him and showing him grow instead we saw him saving people on a boat, in the water, then somewhere else. I'm at least glad they showed his childhood though, the actors and actress were a good pick, they did well. The part in the movie where you see Clark watching his human father die was sad and well done, I almost cried. Overall I liked the movie in a sense that it was okay, but it will never live up to the original movie and comic books. Expand
  22. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was underwhelming considering the names associated with it. Much of the plot felt rushed and haphazardly pieced together. The relationship between Lane/Clark was severely underdeveloped, I really didn't feel their connection at all. There probably could have been about 30 minutes less of CGI in the ending.

It was still entertaining, which is why I still gave it a dead-smack-in-the-middle 5. Lots of action, a pretty interesting story. I just expected more from the likes of Nolan and co.
  23. Jun 25, 2013
    I went into this movie REALLY wanting to love it. All of the teasers made it seem like it was going to be the best Superman movie and possible one of the best comic book movies of all time. To my dismay, I was sadly mistaken.

All of the changes that were made to the origin story didn't bother me like they did some people. That wasn't my gripe. My gripe was what seemed like a lack of character development and relationship development. The movie gave me no reason to care about the relationship between Clark and Lois. There was no development of it, just all of the sudden they are gazing into each other's eyes.

There was a severe lack of development of the relationships between Clark and his parents. We get little snippets here an there, but again, not enough to make me believe they had any impact on him at all.

Lastly, there was no development of Superman at all. Its like he just wakes up one day and he is Superman.

Don't get me wrong. The world the movie takes place in is big, the scenes are big, the action is big. But Nolan set a new bar with the Dark Knight Trilogy on what it takes to make a good Comic book movie. You need all of the action with a great story that makes you connect with the characters and care about their relationships. This was all missing from Man of Steel.

Here's hoping that the next one takes the time to do all of these things write. I believe they have all of the write pieces in place to make a truly Epic Superman Franchise, but I must say, I feel it is off to a slow start.
  24. Jul 7, 2013
    For a film that included non-stop building destruction and overblown fit-for-children violence, Man of Steel not only manages to be uninteresting and dull, but partly laughable in stages.

An unholy amount of back story and flashes drags the first half beyond reason, and the outrageous amount of fist fights between immortals and half of America's army in the second only further points the movie toward tedium. The scale and enormity of the violence is laughably trivial, that I had to wonder if I was watching the blockbuster version of Dragon Ball Z, where the violence never ends due to the borderline immortal characters.

Except, a film must end. And ignoring the awful cast and characterization When a German actress playing a side role outdoes everyone else, you have a problem the final scene of action is so hilariously trite. Despite causing Billions of dollars worth of damage and no doubt killing thousands in the process, they tag a moral scene on at the end for Superman Yes, that is your name, despite the film's idea of subtlety which is not only irrelevant, but insulting.
  25. Jul 11, 2013
    This movie was good...about 10% of the time. The plot was confusing and jumbled, the characters were pretty dumb and most of them had 2 second screen time and had no meaning to the story of Superman at all, the acting was too overexaggerated and most of all, the movie was so boring that I would've enjoyed the Lone Ranger a lot more!
  26. Jul 11, 2013
    What a bore! Overblown, soulless, unimaginative, uninteresting, dull, dull, dull. You would be more entertained if you watched a couple of the Dean Cain Superman tv series. I couldn't make it to the end, and I was not he first to walk out of this movie tonight. Really, don't waste your time.
  27. Jun 21, 2013
    Why did they change Superman? What was wrong with him? I feel like its the same as with the Dark Knight Rises... So different from the source that it may as well be something completely different.
  28. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I so wanted to like this movie. It's hard to explain how much I wanted to like this movie. Superman Returns had nearly killed the franchise but this was my hope for a redemption. I watched closely at Rotten Tomatoes and the Metascore for this movie, and then dismissed them. Even though the critics didn't love this movie didn't necessarily mean that it was bad. I didn't read any of the reviews and went into the film wanting to defy them. Then, I saw the movie and my heart sank.

This film is a tremendous disappointment that looks good, but is only skin deep. Man of Steel introduces itself as a new version of Superman for this modern age. However, it feels the need to spell out every aspect of an origin story that everybody already knows with few bizarre changes to feed its predictable story. While I liked parts of it: the visual effects are stunning (in 2D) and the character interaction can be good, when the script allows the characters to have fun, I have to conclude in the end that this is a bad movie.

There are some parts of the film that I enjoyed, so I can't completely pan this film. First of all, I did like the special effects, especially on Krypton and during the flying sequences. They are well done and quite stylized and a good use of Zack Snyder's talent. Some of the flashback sequences are good for the character, especially the first one in which young Clark is hiding in the closet. Michael Shannon is glorious as General Zod, bellowing every line in villainous contempt in a suitably over-the-top performance that fits the grandiose Zod. (He doesn't hold a candle to Terrance Stamp, though.) Russell Crowe is surprisingly good as Jor-El who is in much more of the film than you'd expect. Finally, I can't say that I wasn't excited once Zod began to fly in the final battle and trade punches with our hero, an occurrence that Superman fans have been waiting for ever since there have ben movies about the Man of Tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the film totally collapses under the weight of its own screenplay with tremendous actors having little-to-nothing to do. Amy Adams' redheaded Lois Lane is generally a bland character with little chemistry with Cavill's Superman. After the halfway point she serves almost no purpose to the plot, only being there because she's Lois Lane (apparently) and needs to be in the movie. Lawrence Fishburn has nothing to do as Perry White, although the film cuts to him every once and a while, though the audience has little reason to care what happens to him. We watch him try to evacuate the Daily Planet as we have to assume thousands of people are trying, and failing to do the same in nearby buildings.

The characters in this movie are uncharacterized, poorly characterized, or mischaracterized. The film seems to be upset with the concept of Superman while not really making us care about Superman the person. He has little opportunity to show any of the charm that Reeve brought to the character, robbing Man of Steel of some of the fun. I also couldn't get over the characterization of Jonathan Kent in this film. While Jonathan Kent is, and should be, highly protective of Clark and his secret, he doesn't do so in a constructive way. Jonathan Kent is meant to be a tether that binds Superman to the human world and teaches his son the value of life. Otherwise, this Superman really shouldn't care about the people, and cannot really be the savior he needs to be.

The movie is filled with plot holes, questionable judgments, and stupid characters. Why do the Kryptonians, especially Lara allow Zod to be imprisoned in space when the planet is about to blow up? Where is the rest of Zod's army when he lands on Earth, there only seem to be three or four that exit the ship? Why does Superman choose to fly to the other side of the earth to destroy the world machine, while he can do more good fighting the machine in Metropolis and save lives doing it? Most importantly, why does Superman not try to limit the damage done to Metropolis during the final battle?

Now I could forgive this, all of this, and call this maybe a six out of ten movie, if not for the final factor. Superman KILLS Zod. He just murders him, snaps his neck to save a family of four. First of all, after the thousands of deaths your fight has caused, why do those people matter so much? I kid, Superman is supposed to protect all people, but also never supposed to kill anybody. He is supposed to be able to find a way out, that why he's SUPERMAN. He is a symbol and an ideal, something to strive toward, which we can't and shouldn't do if Superman falls to what we would do in that situation. The idea that this makes him more modern shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the character by Goyer and Nolan. Superman is supposed to be better than we are, in mind and body, to say that he would do that, and that someone could give him no choice is an insult to the character. To the inevitable sequel, I say this, SUPERMAN DESERVES BETTER.
  29. Jun 14, 2013
    Con un inicio prometedor, la historia cae lentamente hasta el hastío, las peleas se tornan repetitivas y aburridas, el tema compuesto por Hans Zimmer queda muy lejos del que hizo el legendario Jhon Williams.

Para ser un reinicio, quizás debieron elegir una historia más breve, recuerda un tanto a Transformers 3, invasores extraterrestres queriendo recrear su mundo en el nuestro mientras de paso destruyen una ciudad.

"Easter Eggs" apenas si son visibles, hay que estar muy atentos.
  30. Jun 16, 2013
    While I'd hoped for an intro to an outstanding trilogy to die for which director Christopher Nolan succeeded to do in his making of "The Dark Knight" Trilogy, I got in return a 143 minute movie that contained 60 minutes of origin story, 60 minutes of a plot outline, 20 lousy minutes of fighting, and 3 minutes of Clark Kent's future life as the lover of Lois Lane and a citizen ofWhile I'd hoped for an intro to an outstanding trilogy to die for which director Christopher Nolan succeeded to do in his making of "The Dark Knight" Trilogy, I got in return a 143 minute movie that contained 60 minutes of origin story, 60 minutes of a plot outline, 20 lousy minutes of fighting, and 3 minutes of Clark Kent's future life as the lover of Lois Lane and a citizen of Metropolis. All in all, I would say to wait for the movie to come out on DVD if you do however have interest of even seeing the movie at all. Expand
  31. Jun 20, 2013
    I find too many things wrong with this movie and not enough right.

1) Movie isn't in chronological order, which is fine, but not when the scenes with the most emotion were put in the trailer. 2) Everyone loves an action scene that shows intense struggle with a realistic turn around. In this case the action was over extended and leaves of feeling of exhaustion. 3) Graphics are
    I find too many things wrong with this movie and not enough right.

3) Graphics are cool, but it doesn't make it cool to use it on everything. Clark Kent's body wasn't real, all the action looked more like a video than a movie, and it takes away a feeling of reality which is what a move of this nature should be about.

4) The overall story line wasn't too bad, but they ruined it by making 30% of the movie based on action scenes that didn't contribute to the story.

* At the end of it all, it had potential, great story line, and nice plotting. It was a shame that Znyder went with a more 300 approach than a Dark Knight.
  32. Jul 8, 2013
    What a disappointment, this film had such potential. Why is it the trailer contained all the beauty and humanity (and none of the inane action that the film did?) I should have known. There's a reason I don't see action movies (especially comic book ones) any more (I think the last one I saw was the first Iron Man). Story and great character development sacrificed to show us specialWhat a disappointment, this film had such potential. Why is it the trailer contained all the beauty and humanity (and none of the inane action that the film did?) I should have known. There's a reason I don't see action movies (especially comic book ones) any more (I think the last one I saw was the first Iron Man). Story and great character development sacrificed to show us special effect CG characters hitting and banging and crushing and so on. I mean, how many buildings do we have to see Superman and his enemies get thrown through? The action sequences are what ruins this movie hands down. And WHO decided a shaky, vomit-inducing hand held camera was the best choice for the earth family human sequences? Will we ever turn back? Oh wait..."Pacific Rim" is just around the corner. Yeah, let's rush out to get in line... Expand
  33. Jul 15, 2013
    LAME
    i expected more. superman is supposed to be SUPER! this movie makes him look like a second rate copy cat whatever super hero he is. the scenes in the movie aren't that clean also.

the lamest movie ever
  34. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Cavil não um ator a altura do homem de Aço achei ele pouco frio as vezes robótico, Ele matar o Zod aceitável, não da forma que dizer por ai "mimimi Ele precisou matar pra aprender que nunca mais deve fazer isso", ele não nenhum menininho sem consciência do que faz, fica melhor dizer que ele matou por que não tinha escolha e mesmo assim não um explicação muito boa, Eles destruirão boa parte da cidade, derrubando prédios e explodindo coisas, Superman parecia não se importar nenhum pouco com isso, mas nenhum pouco mesmo, tava nem ai.
    Não curti também o fato dele não ter ajudado o senhor Kent.
    Enfim eu esperava bem mais do filme, passa longe de ser do nível da trilogia Batman do Nolan!
  35. Jun 14, 2013
    The acting is universally good. The script is choppy as hell. The action is well staged, though the devastation wrought and Superman's indifference to it is horrifying. WBros obviously took to much to heart from the criticism of Superman Returns.

I wanted more Clark Kent, and Pa Costner. Amy Adams is robbed of screen time. I wanted less CGI fighting, and more reasons to care. I was

I wanted more Clark Kent, and Pa Costner. Amy Adams is robbed of screen time.

I wanted less CGI fighting, and more reasons to care. I was aghast at the casual treatment of the terrible destruction wrought and Superman's indifference to it. Oh look, I'll just punch General Zod through a building and murder thousands of people. WITHOUT BLINKING AN EYE.

Still, Russell Crowe is very good, even with the ridiculous hand waving at doors. Michael Shannon is very impactful as Zod. Cavill is great as Supes and I rooted for him. The flashbacks are where the lost heart of the movie reside.

Not sure if I want Snyder back for MoS 2. Perhaps Brad Bird might be available?
  36. Jun 20, 2013
    Visuals: one of the best I've seen (espec in a blockbuster)
    Cast: ok, althought the actor of Superman has too big imho
    Storyline: same as 99% of blockbusters, this got me really sad. Imagine if they really put a GOOD, not braindead story with these visuals.. wouldn't that be magical? -3 points for griffindor for that. i think I'll add one more thing: if you have control of the
    Visuals: one of the best I've seen (espec in a blockbuster)
    Cast: ok, althought the actor of Superman has too big imho
    i think I'll add one more thing: if you have control of the spaceship, WHY on earth don't you simply remove the athmosphere and kill all the villains?
  37. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This review may be a bit biased since I've never been a huge fan of the Superman comic book however, as a film I found this one in particular to be completely uninspired and unoriginal. Hope this doesn't count as a spoiler but, the fate of Superman basically rests on a flash drive. Also the outdated CG made every character animated through it seem like rubber. Expand
  38. Jul 11, 2013
    this is the single worst thing I have ever seen in the theater. It's nothing but a bunch of noise and smashing around for at least half of the movie; the other half was incredibly slow; The two best acting jobs in it are Russell Crow and Kevin Costner; there's pretty munch no meaningful dialogue what-so-ever and none of the characters give you any reason to care about them. The best thingthis is the single worst thing I have ever seen in the theater. It's nothing but a bunch of noise and smashing around for at least half of the movie; the other half was incredibly slow; The two best acting jobs in it are Russell Crow and Kevin Costner; there's pretty munch no meaningful dialogue what-so-ever and none of the characters give you any reason to care about them. The best thing to do is wait until it comes out on video, then wait a little longer for it to air on TV, then change the channel and watch something else. Expand
  39. Jun 14, 2013
    The cinematography was excellently done, with beautiful sweeping shots of gorgeous environments and very professionally done CGI. The soundtrack was fairly well done by Hans Zimmer, but was nothing too spectacular in comparison to some of his other efforts.

The film was a origin story, and yet could have been so much more had Snyder and Nolan attempted to flesh out the character of Kal-El, Clark Kent, and Superman. Instead the film and its makers settled for an action flick that required hardly any depth in dialogue or plot. Rather than creating a deep and engaging, character driven film complemented by the action that is to be expected from a Superhero film, Snyder relies on impressive explosions and fight sequences that leave much to be desired.

The acting is to be praised. Henry Cavill does well enough with his character, but the most passionate performances come from Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Ma and Pa Kent. Their relationship and the relationship with Clark could have been a fascinating story arc, but unfortunately was pushed aside for the action sequences and the "save the world" story arc that plagues superhero film tropes. Michael Shannon adequately fulfills his role as Zod, the villian.

Ultimately this film will leave serious film goers disappointed, as it has little character driven story arcs and shallow dialogue. The film will attract those interested in a decent superhero story in comparison to Marvel's takes and who don't mind an action flick that relies on little else.
  40. Jun 23, 2013
    This movie is absolutely awful. The actors are all right, but the story has so many plot holes it just makes me angry. The action scenes are dull at best, and extremely repetitive. I almost walked out of this movie, and was happy when it ended. I would not recommend this movie to anyone.
  41. Jun 19, 2013
    This movie does a lot of things well and a lot of things REALLY BADLY. Single scenes are inspired, Jor-El's role in assisting Clark oppose Zod is very well-written and acted, and the production of the film is stellar. Yet plot holes abound, Cavill obviously interpreted Clark as a cinder block in a cape, and the entire second half smacks of typical Zack Snyder trash, all action, noThis movie does a lot of things well and a lot of things REALLY BADLY. Single scenes are inspired, Jor-El's role in assisting Clark oppose Zod is very well-written and acted, and the production of the film is stellar. Yet plot holes abound, Cavill obviously interpreted Clark as a cinder block in a cape, and the entire second half smacks of typical Zack Snyder trash, all action, no thoughts, hero and villain punching each other from set piece to set piece. The bipolar film careens from intelligent, interesting and boisterous to utterly imbecilic and back again, sometimes all in the same scene. Sadly, this movie is not worth the price of admission as the sum of its parts are less than the individual brilliance of certain ideas.

You spend the first half dealing with garbled backstory, presented via flashbacks. The actors playing Young and Teen Clark convey a good deal emotion, which is to say they do a whole lot more in their limited screen time than Cavill. The character of Jonathan Kent is laughably stupid (Seriously, the theater laughed at him in nearly every flashback) While the individual flashbacks mostly work, they are jarring in the course of present-day plot and make the entire first act feel disjointed. One has to wonder if this is where a better director would have helped, as the movie lacks a cohesive feel. It harms the slower pacing and bores the viewer. Overall, the film attempts something similar to Bruce Willis' Unstoppable: the creation of a superhero in the modern world. It's not a bad idea and there is some merit to the film's attempt but it comes across as a mediocre sci-fi film (much like Unstoppable). It certainly doesn't feel like a superhero movie, which doesn't seem so bad until compared to...

...the special effects-laden, seemingly endless punchfest the second half devolves into. Given Zack Snyder's track record of making over-produced soulless action flicks, I suppose this should have been expected. It's almost as if one of the producers helmed the first half while Snyder yawned and interrupted all the talky scenes with incessant one-liners and cries of "Booo-ring" like a highly paid high school student, then snapped to attention and started making race car noises when it was time to choreograph the action scenes. There's not a lot to say past that. It's highly produced action, non-stop, until the end of the movie. Some of it is smart, some is moronic, there are highlights and lowlights, but with no serious plot behind it, it feels weightless.

This movie does a lot of things, though none entirely well. At points every aspect is great and at others terrible. As such it can only ever top out as a mediocre movie: an action movie that bores you to tears for half the time or an interesting plot device riddled with holes and a mind-numbingly stupid ending. No matter which side you pick, you wind up disappointed.
  42. Jun 19, 2013
    There are more holes in this shoddy story then in a pair of fish net tights.The pace of the film is stupid.The story makes no sense at points.Like Lois just randomly climbing across an ice mountain edge just because. Its a joke.Like its the first film I have ever wanted it to end so I could leave the cinema.
  43. Jun 14, 2013
    It's a DISASTER to put Nolan's name in Zack's film. They are in different league! One of the biggest disappointment in 2013. But I should give perfect score for Hans Zimmer!
  44. Jun 19, 2013
    When I first found out about Man of Steel, I quickly assumed it's place in the world of cinema was to fill the void left behind by the recent, and also brilliant, Batman trilogy. While I didn't particularly expect something similar from a film with the same producer, I did at the very least expect something with a fraction of the quality.

I found Man of Steel to be a rather soulless

I found Man of Steel to be a rather soulless affair, missing that certain quality that drives you to feel for the plot and those within- a low standard easily achieved by the decidedly bland acting from the majority of the cast, lack of development in the characters, and the poor screenplay riddled with clichés.

That said, the special effects were superb throughout, with only the camera shake effect becoming far too jarring and over-employed. It is for this reason that Man of Steel can only be described as a film that embodies the notion of style over substance. If you like the sound of a film that is overindulgent in explosions and tiresome action action sequences, this may be just the thing you're looking for.
  45. Jun 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly, I was very excited for this movie. Very excited. The opening scene was well done. They changed a few aspects of the storyline, but I am really okay with this. However, a lot of that changed once the story shifted to Superman and his background. All of the dialogue was extremely cheesy and hokey, very little made sense, most of the plot and scenes seemed thrown together in fact, although I was bored, I felt as though this was supposed to be a 4-hour movie that had someone cut random scenes out. It was actually that disconnected.

Zod was probably the most redeeming aspect of this film, and Russell Crowe wasn't too bad. But there are too many poor aspects of this film to make it enjoyable for me, including the extremely overblown CGI and action, which actually made me feel that the director was trying to distract me from the rest of the movie, rather than entertain me. Here are some questions I pose.

Was this movie really directed by Michael Bay? I've never seen so many explosions, and I saw the first Transformers movie 3 times in theaters.

Amy Adams kept teleporting everywhere. Is she Nightcrawler?

How come Superman has just met this woman, and is immediately in love with her? Is this the Notebook?

Superman was struggling for (what we assume is) 20+ years with his power. One pep talk from his "dad" and now he has everything under control and can fly? How? And how come Zod just went "GRRR I'M A WARRIOR" and then could automatically fly? There was no learning curve, build up, or well... any logic, even in the fictional sense of logic. I guess my real question here is ...why?

Three superhuman aliens are fighting, and one is protecting you. Why is our military wantonly shooting (with no effect) all three of them? And then declaring HE IS NOT OUR ENEMY like some 1984 computer? And on that note, how come nobody in the movie made mention of the weapons having no effect? "MORE BULLETS." Is this what we've reduced our military to? Pathetic.

How come everyone in this movie magically knows what's going on? The plot seemed to move along so quickly and without consequence. Amy Adams makes this discovery. Her boss believes her but also ascertains she's right to keep quiet. Superman is satisfied with this result. Zod shows up. All within, what, 2 hours?

The part that killed it for me, where I absolutely knew this movie was ruined, was when one of the chief officers of NORAD says, about a U.F.O. they know nothing about, including if it's a manned spacecraft, "Whoever's at the helm of that ship, he's lining up to make a dramatic entrance." Dumbest. Line. In the World. And this movie had many of them.

Keeping in mind, there were some redeeming qualities. The action, although overblown, was somewhat entertaining although the "climactic" scene wasn't actually the "final" fight, and that next fight was dumb and reminded me of the Family Guy chicken fight. Some of the actors did okay, and.. that's about it. The opener was well done, too. But I already said all of this.

If you loved Transformers 2, you'll love this. If you didn't, avoid this movie. And thank Michael Bay for the inspiration.
  46. Jun 19, 2013
    I wanted to like this movie, and it started out promising with some interesting development into Clark's past. Unfortunately, it quickly devolved into a completely boring, formulaic, unintelligent, twist-less, and one-dimensional good guy/bad guy movie, with about 60 straight minutes worth of repetitive action scenes that reminded me of Transformers 3 (which also, not coincidentally wasI wanted to like this movie, and it started out promising with some interesting development into Clark's past. Unfortunately, it quickly devolved into a completely boring, formulaic, unintelligent, twist-less, and one-dimensional good guy/bad guy movie, with about 60 straight minutes worth of repetitive action scenes that reminded me of Transformers 3 (which also, not coincidentally was well-reviewed by the mindless public, but despised by critics). Might be worth seeing for the first hour, but certainly at least wait for the dvd, or don't see it all. Expand
  47. Jun 22, 2013
    Man of Steel is in essence a hollow two hour music video featuring a caricature of Superman. The plot is wafer-thin, utterly incoherent, and instantly falls apart where even an iota of thought is applied. The so-called characters are one-dimensional, lacking any depth, development, or motivation. Nothing and no-one makes any sense. It would seem that the loud and flashy visuals wereMan of Steel is in essence a hollow two hour music video featuring a caricature of Superman. The plot is wafer-thin, utterly incoherent, and instantly falls apart where even an iota of thought is applied. The so-called characters are one-dimensional, lacking any depth, development, or motivation. Nothing and no-one makes any sense. It would seem that the loud and flashy visuals were cranked up to 11 in an attempt to disguise or compensate for this. Shame then the visuals themselves are also quite poor.

In terms of Superman's world-famous conscience and moral values, both the movie and the portrayal of Superman himself are also repugnant. I find it very difficult to believe that even the most casual of Superman fans would fail to miss the utter disregard for human life displayed. I won't say anything more about this to avoid providing spoilers.

Fans of Superman or just of decent films in general should avoid this.
  48. Jun 18, 2013
    Although Cavill himself proves to be a perfect match for the role, the movie is destroyed by a horrific script, painfully bad camera work, and no understanding of human emotion or logic. DC's live-action movies continue to suffer from a lack of quality and continue their desperate need for a major overhaul.
  49. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have a very love/hate relationship with this movie.

This movie was by no means bad, but it was definitely held back by character and environmental inconsistencies. For example: Faora, the female Kryptonian, claims their race is superior due to the evolutionary loss of morality with the blatantly false comment, "We have no morality". This completely reduced the complexity of the Kryptonians character and was borderline contradictory to their main purpose, to preserve Kryptonian culture.

There was a lot of moments in the film that were extremely contrived. I kept thinking, "Gee, it sure is convenient Superman is RIGHT there, otherwise that could have been bad." or, "Man, it sure is great that machine with tentacles stopped attacking Superman long enough for him to destroy it." OR EVEN "Wow! It sure is amazing that the laws of gravity CEASE to exist when Lois is being sucked into this vortex at the end of the movie." Seriously, with that last one Superman even has a difficult time breaking free from the vortex, but for some reason when Lois was free falling it was like it had zero effect on her (she has gravity powers?).

Also at the end of the movie was a retarded comment made by a certain government agent who says, "You caused over $2,000,000 dollars in damage to that drone you brought down!" Forget the fact that he completely decimated an entire city of idiots (who stare at buildings falling on them) causing probably billions of dollars worth of damage. Forget the fact that Earth owes him a life debt. Same freaking thing with that dumb broad at the end, "He's kinda hot"? Really? Forget the fact that you've probably never seen this magnitude of incredibly not-human feats.

Don't even get me started on that ridiculous tornado scene.

The ONLY redeeming factor for this movie was the incredible fight scenes. Even the villain's fighting styles were super dynamic and versatile. When Zod was wearing that heavy armor, he reflected that with an almost beast-like fighting style. That was awesome!

Overall I'm glad I went to see it, but if I was given a chance to go back in time, I probably wouldn't have gone to the midnight showing. It was ok; it was Super-over-hyped.
  50. Jun 30, 2013
    this is the worst superman i ever seen. this is not superman at all. the story is so far off from the original film.
    and he is so geeky, trying to be mucho. the original superman is more charming, brave, heroic.
    the new superman never saves anyone, he is crashing buildings and dont care about the people, that is not superman. NO, THE MOVIE WAS JUST STUPID!!! the only good in it was the special effects.
  51. Jun 17, 2013
    What???? Superman is Jesus??? Who would'a thought it Jesus/Superman is a naturalised American bought up in Texas.
    So, let me get this straight, Jesus/Supermans' nemesis is the Super Villain Zod/Bin Laden who is trying to change America by destroying buildings and changing the environment to make it habitable for his Race???
    To add to this heady mix, it seems that Jesus/Superman is a
    To add to this heady mix, it seems that Jesus/Superman is a Superhero by way of Twilight. Bland sexless uninteresting and 2 dimensional, but at least the American Military love Jesus/Superman and he loves them. Which is sweet.
    I would also like to thank the Producers and Studio for letting me know what make of camera I should be buying. The product placement in this movie was better than the Hol(e)y plot line.
    Lois Lanes' character was as fleshed out as a skeleton on a diet, and her relationship with Jesus/Superman was as wet as a wet thing on a wet day in wet land.
    Bad acting
    Overlong tedious and dodgy CGI.
    Apart from that the movie was pretty bad
  52. Jun 26, 2013
    Man of Steel isn´t as great as it should have been, but at the very least what we get here is a very enjoyable movie. From a spectacle perspective it doesn´t disappoint, the last 45 minutes or so, is jam packed of exciting action that definitely gives the man of steel justice. From a character point of view however, the movie suffers in some key areas. This is not a lifeless Michael BayMan of Steel isn´t as great as it should have been, but at the very least what we get here is a very enjoyable movie. From a spectacle perspective it doesn´t disappoint, the last 45 minutes or so, is jam packed of exciting action that definitely gives the man of steel justice. From a character point of view however, the movie suffers in some key areas. This is not a lifeless Michael Bay effort in any way whatsoever, there´s genuine character development here that for the most part works really well, but the matter of fact is that it all doesn´t effectively ends with the right amount of emotion. There had to be more emotional weight in the final battle, one that not even Lois Lane is able to provide with Superman. It has some pacing issues and the characters are not as fleshed out as the trailers initially tease they will be, but what is here is good, very good indeed, and so it all happens to add up to a super-fun summer movie. Expand
  53. Jul 10, 2013
    Yawn... A typical graphics driven action flick, short on story. The fight sequences were far too long and contradictory. One moment someone is being crushed with a freight train, yet is easily choked out the next. I didn't hate it but it never made me care.
  54. Jul 2, 2013
    Poor movie… there was not a single moment that made me enjoy or care about anything that happened on the screen. it was long, over the top, loud, melodramatic, and as deep as a "steel" can of tuna fish. No acting and no characters… a dark and gloomy transformers… If you love the DC universe… then you owe it to the wonderful universe the comics have create to hate this borefest…. ZackPoor movie… there was not a single moment that made me enjoy or care about anything that happened on the screen. it was long, over the top, loud, melodramatic, and as deep as a "steel" can of tuna fish. No acting and no characters… a dark and gloomy transformers… If you love the DC universe… then you owe it to the wonderful universe the comics have create to hate this borefest…. Zack Snyder… seriously guy… you suck!!! Expand
  55. Jun 17, 2013
    Overall, despite all the eye rolling ludicrous moments and plot holes, I was entertained by this film. The acting was good across the board, although I wasn't crazy about Michael Shannon's performance as the bad guy, General Zod. Too one note. I also get tired of people beating each other to a pulp only to get back up without a scratch on their body. That is the norm in super heroOverall, despite all the eye rolling ludicrous moments and plot holes, I was entertained by this film. The acting was good across the board, although I wasn't crazy about Michael Shannon's performance as the bad guy, General Zod. Too one note. I also get tired of people beating each other to a pulp only to get back up without a scratch on their body. That is the norm in super hero movies, however. I also felt the movie had one battle too many, and was way too destructive. New York City is decimated in this film. This film is LOUD! The special effects were excellent and the 3D good. Overall, a success, but not great. Expand
  56. Jun 26, 2013
    Reasonable first act, a good second act and then everything is ruined by 40 mins of CGI brawling and utterly stupid writing. It's almost like several different films were written then smashed clumsily together.
  57. Aug 22, 2013
    It has spectacular action sequences, thanks in part to Zack Snyder's (from 300) masterful directing. Unfortunately, i cannot say the same about the script and character development, which is a weird thing for a movie written (partly) by Christopher Nolan. It was trying to be complex like the Batman trilogy, but it wasn't. And Henry Cavill's acting is not good. And the actors who are, wereIt has spectacular action sequences, thanks in part to Zack Snyder's (from 300) masterful directing. Unfortunately, i cannot say the same about the script and character development, which is a weird thing for a movie written (partly) by Christopher Nolan. It was trying to be complex like the Batman trilogy, but it wasn't. And Henry Cavill's acting is not good. And the actors who are, were given underdeveloped characters. Overall, awesome action scenes is what saved this movie from being a total mess. They are that awesome. Expand
  58. Apr 21, 2014
    Well of course a year before it came out, many people were wondering "Do we really need yet another Superman movie ?!?" The answer was clearly No after seeing this flop. A few positive notes first; I do like Amy Adams in her part as well as Kevin Costner and I'd say the buildup in the first third of the movie as Clark was growing up wasn't terrible. The biggest problem was in the end whenWell of course a year before it came out, many people were wondering "Do we really need yet another Superman movie ?!?" The answer was clearly No after seeing this flop. A few positive notes first; I do like Amy Adams in her part as well as Kevin Costner and I'd say the buildup in the first third of the movie as Clark was growing up wasn't terrible. The biggest problem was in the end when you have the inevitable battle with a bad guy; one of those battles that just goes on and on and on ...and on and on. it was ridiculous. Keep in mind its one of those situations where of course Supermnan is essentially indestructible and of course his nemesis is almost equally indestructible, yet they endlessly throw each other through buidlings, throw cars and trucks at each other, bury themselves under tons of concrete and metal... but neither one is hurt of course so you just get totally bored with it. This was a total waste and 143 minutes of my life i will never get back. Expand
  59. Nov 4, 2013
    This was a terrible film. A terribly-told story that was poorly paced and needlessly convoluted. Cavill as Superman is well cast and the photography is visually pleasing. Other than that, this was a total miss.
  60. Aug 1, 2013
    A powerful, entertaining and well-written rebirth of the American icon that has been clearly made with complete care to the source material and as a film as well. This well-paced reboot only suffers from a campy performance by Michael Shannon and an under-developed relationship between our hero Clark and his love Lois. Man of Steel is definitely the ultimate Superhero/Superman film and isA powerful, entertaining and well-written rebirth of the American icon that has been clearly made with complete care to the source material and as a film as well. This well-paced reboot only suffers from a campy performance by Michael Shannon and an under-developed relationship between our hero Clark and his love Lois. Man of Steel is definitely the ultimate Superhero/Superman film and is one of the best action/superhero films to come out since The Avengers. Expand
  61. Jul 13, 2013
    I was really disappointed in Man of Steel. Henry Cavil makes a great looking Superman yes, but that's where the enjoyment ended for me. Zach Snyder's tone is just too serious for what should be the ultimate comic book movie feast experience. The movie feels self-indulgent and overblown, and not in a good way. I was missing the fun to balance out the heavy gloom of the the movie. But I'mI was really disappointed in Man of Steel. Henry Cavil makes a great looking Superman yes, but that's where the enjoyment ended for me. Zach Snyder's tone is just too serious for what should be the ultimate comic book movie feast experience. The movie feels self-indulgent and overblown, and not in a good way. I was missing the fun to balance out the heavy gloom of the the movie. But I'm not too surprised after seeing what Snyder did with, or is that to Watchmen. Lately the best examples of superhero movies have been X-men and The Avengers. What a pity Man of Steel doesn't deliver on that kind of fun. Expand
  62. Jun 24, 2013
    This film felt like 2 completely different films mashed together and I'm still not sure if it worked.
    The first half dealing with Clark as a young boy and krypton was excellent. It felt well paced and gave depth to parts of the superman story previously ignored.
    But the 2nd half with the fights against Zod were I felt not handled as good as they could. The fight choreography was very poor and at no point did I really feel like I was getting into a true fight between 2 supermen. Camera angles were all over the place, and sometimes I didn't know who was hitting who and who was winning The focus on the destruction of the buildings took away from the true essence of the fight. Felt like the fight scenes in Transformers. If you are going to have a 1h long fight, then you need to make it a damn good one.
    I did enjoy the film for the most part, but it could have better.
  63. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I became of Zack Snyder fan with Watchmen, a film that is very near and dear to my heart. I was totally excited when I heard that he was making MOS, and became more so as the trailers were trickled out. MOS is an unusual movie and part of that feeling may come from its otherworldly music score. It wastes no time at all and gets to the meat of the story quickly, giving it a kind of dense feel. However, there are points in the movie that are hard to digest. The plot always finds a contrived way of getting Lois Lane in all of Superman's set pieces on board a space ship, in the tundra, in Kansas she never far behind. She might as well have been in the Zod fights. Also, Superman's never flown until the events of this movie?! I give Snyder huge credit for making this movie all his own, it's different in the same way Tim Burton made Batman in his own vision. I had fun, see this movie but don't nit pick its odd parts. Expand
  64. Nov 23, 2013
    I never usually watch Superman films, as it is not something that really does it for me, however this film took me by surprise.
    A fully entertaining movie with some great actors.
    Action is well paced and thought out, this film is brilliant.
  65. Nov 10, 2013
    This was the Superman movie I've always wished for. For so long I wanted to see Superman kick ass, and finally I got the movie I wanted. Previous Superman movies focused too much on romance, and his double-life as Clark Kent, and not enough on the fact that he's damn powerful. I loved every battle, especially the final one.
  66. Aug 11, 2013
    One of the best superhero movies I've seen in a long while... and that says a lot. Don't listen to the critics or silly nostalgiac, biased fanboys on this one they're mostly angry because Superman's more humanized (makes mistakes not the traditional boyscout as Donner's movies made him out to be), it's more serious in tone (not as much over-the-top humor as past Marvel movies) and sayingOne of the best superhero movies I've seen in a long while... and that says a lot. Don't listen to the critics or silly nostalgiac, biased fanboys on this one they're mostly angry because Superman's more humanized (makes mistakes not the traditional boyscout as Donner's movies made him out to be), it's more serious in tone (not as much over-the-top humor as past Marvel movies) and saying it has too much action (a tad bit too much explosions but this is a Superman movie; what'd they expect?)!!

I've seen even more ridiculous reasons for hating this movie from simply hating the director, how they chose to get rid of Superman's silly and not-so-iconic underwear and Superman destroying half the city (compare this to the Avengers where there's 6 superheres in a team-up movie, Superman needs to be in two places at once and Superman's relatively inexperienced in this one).

If you were expecting a Summer Blockbuster (that shows off CGI), a reinvention of the Superman mythos and some emotional scenes which cause us to see why Superman is the man he is today then you'll be loving this movie. Don't go in with ridiculous expectations and go in open-minded. That's all I can say.

Go and see it!!
  67. Jul 2, 2013
    i had rather high expectations for this, and I must concede myself disappointed. The movie does not flow as a well-made film should, and there are many innaccuracies and oversights that make the fi;m difficult to watch. Coupled with the overlong running time, ridiculously extended battle scenes, and the 3 separate 'final' battles, you end up feeling like you just want it to end. As ani had rather high expectations for this, and I must concede myself disappointed. The movie does not flow as a well-made film should, and there are many innaccuracies and oversights that make the fi;m difficult to watch. Coupled with the overlong running time, ridiculously extended battle scenes, and the 3 separate 'final' battles, you end up feeling like you just want it to end. As an action movie, it's a decent one at best. Expand
  68. Jun 17, 2013
    “Man of Steel” is a new interpretation of Superman for the modern post “Dark Knight” age of superhero films. The story is more serious and asks the question of “will I be accepted into this world or be feared?” While I like the new take on the Superman origin story and how uniquely it’s told, I found the script to be rather weak. The character moments are scarce, everything feels a bit“Man of Steel” is a new interpretation of Superman for the modern post “Dark Knight” age of superhero films. The story is more serious and asks the question of “will I be accepted into this world or be feared?” While I like the new take on the Superman origin story and how uniquely it’s told, I found the script to be rather weak. The character moments are scarce, everything feels a bit rushed, and the dialogue comes off as super cheesy almost to the point where I was cringing. However, I am a huge fan of how this film is directed. Zack Snyder does an awesome job with what he has. The action sequences are choreographed amazingly, quit possibly the best action all year. Camera work in this film is really well done and the editing is spot on. There are some really inventive shots and the final fight sequence with Zod is riveting.

The actors do a fine job with their characters. However, no one really stands out aside from Henry Cavill as Superman. While he’s no Christopher Reeve, I really like his take on the character. Amy Adams as Lois Lane is decent, but the way the character is written is kind of weak as I never really cared for her and she came off as a bit forced. Michael Shannon is pretty good as Zod, but the character could have used more screen time. Russell Crowe and the rest of the cast is solid and play their roles well.

Visual effects in this film are top-notch. From Kypton to Earth, everything from a visual standpoint is breathtaking. I’ve always been a fan of Zack Snyder’s visual style in film and here he’s put them to great use. The score on the other hand is okay. While it’s great in the film, it’s rather loud and forgettable.

Overall, “Man of Steel” is a solid piece of cinema and it has me pumped for more Superman movies as well as a potential Justice League film. However, it does fall short in the story department. I felt like I was going from one ride to the next without having a chance to breath. The film has some interesting things to say, but only on a few occasions does it take the time to say it and even then not very clearly. On the bright side though, we get the most action packed Superman movie and quit possibly superhero movie of all time. There’s a lot of fun to be had, but if you’re looking for something deeper and thought provoking this isn’t the place. I give it 3.5/5, weak story that is made better with great action, stunning visual effects, and fantastic direction.
  69. Jan 5, 2014
    A lifeless tiresome drag of one huge explosion followed by another. The directing, writing, and editing are all pretty bad. The characters don't feel real and identifiable. Top it all off was the fact that there was no comedy relief from this bore.
  70. Jun 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is by far the best superman movie, but to be fair that not saying much. There are moments in this movie that are very good, like the battle in Smallville. But the story line in places could of been much better like destroying the world to re-colonise it...why? If they left it as it was they would of been unstoppable as they would all be as powerful as superman... Also Zod is a trained soldier who has been bred and trained his entire life to fight and yet was beaten by somebody who has actively avoided fighting his entire life...

But anyway not a bad movie, worth a watch, but not the best superhero movie.
  71. Jul 7, 2013
    Superman is the 'Sonic the Hedgehog' of comic book characters.

An extremely well designed, and well loved, object of intellectual property who ultimately isn't in many well done things. This movie is a pure example of this the character style is awesome, the art style is ok, and the plot is adequate at best. The current aggregate score of 55 is absolutely appropriate this is the
    Superman is the 'Sonic the Hedgehog' of comic book characters.

The current aggregate score of 55 is absolutely appropriate this is the Sizzlers of comic book blockbusters.
  72. Jun 20, 2013
    Leave your brain at home and enjoy comic book capers.
    There are plenty of 'WTF??' moments related to the plot. Constantly shaky camera means you can't really get into the action scenes easily. Lois is not that hot. Superman himself is cool. The bad guys will scare 12 year olds.
    BUT there's tons of action, thousands get splatted and massive destruction and incredible CGI. Not really
    Leave your brain at home and enjoy comic book capers.
    Not really worth the 3d ticket. One of those films where you have to see it on the big screen. Watch later at home and you'll be facebooking on your mobile on the sofa and only half watching before you know it.
  73. Jul 5, 2013
    Man of Steel reaches no great heights. It is just a good film, not great, not a memorable film. It's failings are not the fault of cast or their performances. It has been let down in the editing department, the movie is jolted around from flashback to present day far to often. It spoils the flow. Worth seeing if you have nothing better to do.
  74. Aug 25, 2013
    Man of Steel deserves a classic superhero movie comeback! Otherwise the story is so amazing and the action was too intense. I enjoyed this movie but what I expected like The Dark Knight.
  75. Nov 11, 2013
    I had a good impression to seeing the film. The story isn't neither too simply and banal nor too difficult to follow.
    The character have been reinvented and rewritten with good results. For me has been a success. I think that on the base of this movie is possible to launch an interesting trilogy. Maybe was properly that who wanted the producer after abandoned the last film launched in 2006
  76. Jul 6, 2013
    I may be impartial because I never have been much of a Superman fan, but compared to other Super Hero genre movies in the last decade I don't thing Man of Steel was all that great. I think they could have done a lot more with the movie. Also Superman is supposed to be a bright vibrant "Good Guy" and they mad him way too serious and made the movie kind of dark and gloomy, which fits withI may be impartial because I never have been much of a Superman fan, but compared to other Super Hero genre movies in the last decade I don't thing Man of Steel was all that great. I think they could have done a lot more with the movie. Also Superman is supposed to be a bright vibrant "Good Guy" and they mad him way too serious and made the movie kind of dark and gloomy, which fits with Batman, but not Superman. They made the same sort of mistake with Amazing Spider-man. Expand
  77. Nov 4, 2013
    In a word: Absurd. Is extremely predictable and full of absurd situations also, actors performances are not very good. I do not understand why the developers created it this film this way...

Perhaps it was only designed for children.
  78. Jun 27, 2013
    This is a popcorn flick. That's what I was thinking mid-way through the movie.
    This is a popcorn flick. That's what I was thinking mid-way through the movie.
    After seeing the first trailer and having Christopher Nolan's named pasted on credits I was expecting the same kind of vibe from Christopher Nolan's Batman films, even though he's just handling production that's just the vibe I was getting from the trailer. Then reviews started making it's way to the internet. The more the reviews came out the more I was less excited about this movie.
    Going to the theatre with low expectations, then coming out after watching it, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this movie a lot, and I don't think it's unfair to say I wanted this movie to be deeper emotionally, because it did have some potential to be that just by watching some of the scenes. It didn't have to be the same dark themed level as batman(Christopher Nolan films) but it could've still been a pretty dark film.

Pros
    . Visually very beautiful. From watching superman's cape slither smoothly around the ice, to General Zod tearing places up.
    . The first 20-30 min? Seeing the world of Krypton and watching it get destroyed was really interesting. I've never seen a super man movie start out like this, usually it would be the first 5 min of krypton, then you'd see Kal grow up on the farm.
    . Flashbacks of Kal growing up, trying to understand his purpose, struggling to fit in was something to expect but still done well with some very emotional scenes.
    . General Zod. Interesting character, and great acting by Michael Shannon.
    . ACTION, ACTION, ACTION! Man there were some really great action scenes, if there's something to look forward to in this movie it's the action.

Cons

. Poor character development. Lois Lane? C'mon.
    . A lot of the scenes felt very rushed, especially when it was progressing towards the "Super man" reveal.
    . There were moments where it had some great potential to be very dark and emotional but they squander it with some unnecessary comedy scenes.
    . I liked the action a lot but I felt if they cut down some of the action scenes that were taking more than half the movie to bring life to some of these characters (Kal) then I think I might have enjoyed it more.

So yes overall I enjoyed it a lot, but like I said it had some great potential that was shut off for a lot of explosive action and some mindless comedy scenes. Still, I'm actually really excited for the next Super man film.
  79. Jul 5, 2013
    the story is well written,the actors are great,the effect are awsome.but..........they made a little mass,this is how the movie progress:talking,talking,talking,talking,talking,talking,action,action,action,action,action.a good movie whould mix talking with action.not do talking 80 minutes of the movie and 60 minutes only action with almost no talking.
    this movie could have been better but
    this movie could have been better but i still reccomend to go and see this movie becuase it is a good movie.well it better from the horrible superman returns.and they succeded doing a good reboot i am hoping for a sequel.
  80. Dec 8, 2013
    This is one of those few clear cases of critics doing the most. This movie has the most impacting action ever in a super-hero movie. That´s a great point. The character is difficult to handle by nature, so I think they did a really good job. It was very entertaining, it gets better in a second watch, and I also like the way they portrayed the female character. All actors were good. It wasThis is one of those few clear cases of critics doing the most. This movie has the most impacting action ever in a super-hero movie. That´s a great point. The character is difficult to handle by nature, so I think they did a really good job. It was very entertaining, it gets better in a second watch, and I also like the way they portrayed the female character. All actors were good. It was about time Superman got a serious film, a decent one. It is darker than what I thought, and that´s another point. The score is absolutely perfect for the movie. Just the whole first part in Krypton alone is surprisingly enjoyable and well put together. Super hero movies can´t really make it to the best films of the year. But damn it, this was the best summer blockbuster of 2013 (Iron Man 3 being the worst, as usual) Definitely. Can´t wait for the upcoming sequels. They got it right guys! Expand
  81. Apr 4, 2014
    How the heck did this get mixed reviews? In my opinion Man of Steel has to be one of the best superhero films ever made. It's eye popping, intelligent, well acted, amazingly well directed, and emotionally resonant. I also think Cavell, (did I spell that right?), makes a pretty good Superman. Having Nolan work with the screenplay was a masterstroke. The movie is very well written, andHow the heck did this get mixed reviews? In my opinion Man of Steel has to be one of the best superhero films ever made. It's eye popping, intelligent, well acted, amazingly well directed, and emotionally resonant. I also think Cavell, (did I spell that right?), makes a pretty good Superman. Having Nolan work with the screenplay was a masterstroke. The movie is very well written, and I give credit to all the other screenwriters involved as well. The movie does bog down in too much action towards the end, but since it's all handled spectacularly it doesn't matter much. Man of Steel is no campy comic-book movie. It's a work of art. My faith in the critics has been shaken but not broken. My guess is that the film will be re-evaluated more positively in the future just like Blade Runner or 2001. Expand
  82. Aug 26, 2013
    Wow! What a hollow piece of Christian propaganda... Absolutely disgusting. Thank Jebus I didn't pay money to watch this tripe... This movie deserves 0 dollars.
  83. Jun 20, 2013
    I thought Man of Steel was a good Superman movie. A decent action movie. As far as the 2006 Superman Returns movie, Man of Steel was so much better. Henry Cavill makes a much better Superman then Brandon
    Routh did and Amy Adams a much better Lois Lane. Although Man of Steel downplays the chemistry between Cavill and Adams. I saw potential in them as a screen couple, but there wasn't enough of a buildup.
    to their first kiss. Hopefully the sequel.will play up more as a couple. The action was good. Somehow I felt disappointed though. Not by the acting. There was no bad acting in the movie. Everyone plays their part well. I just felt like there was something missing. Like there wasn't enough story or something. I guess I just expected more
  84. Jun 30, 2013
    The tasteless need to explain every aspect of this film causes poorly written and artificial to dialogue to preside. As these explanations are given before the story has really begun, it is hard to care or even listen. Were it not for these problems, the film would amount to nothing more than a generic summer blockbuster. It's worse.
  85. Jun 24, 2013
    A good attempt to revive a classic, but just shy of a home run. The action scenes were fantastic, and you'll leave the theater thinking of how fantastic they were. But don't expect the movie to make any lasting marks. The film felt cliche' from start to finish, topped off with an eye rolling ending. The protagonist (need I say who) was extremely static and monotone throughout the wholeA good attempt to revive a classic, but just shy of a home run. The action scenes were fantastic, and you'll leave the theater thinking of how fantastic they were. But don't expect the movie to make any lasting marks. The film felt cliche' from start to finish, topped off with an eye rolling ending. The protagonist (need I say who) was extremely static and monotone throughout the whole film, along with every other oblivious character. Beyond these problems, Man of Steel is a decent film that nails a plethora of things like costume design, music, and special effects. I believe Super Man fans should feel lucky this came out at as good as it did. Expand
  86. Jun 24, 2013
    The first half of "Man of Steel" (MoS) is well written and engaging. There are noteworthy, if not entirely believable performances from the cast in the first act. The second act is where the film begins to fall down, eschewing quality writing for rapid fire action sequences. These are over the top, but fitting considering the abilities and powers on display. The film tries at times toThe first half of "Man of Steel" (MoS) is well written and engaging. There are noteworthy, if not entirely believable performances from the cast in the first act. The second act is where the film begins to fall down, eschewing quality writing for rapid fire action sequences. These are over the top, but fitting considering the abilities and powers on display. The film tries at times to reach the quality of writing on display during the first act, but it never quite reaches it. That's by the by though, we're talking about a summer movie, it was never intended to be as heavy weighted toward drama as "A beautiful mind," it's aims squarely for entertainment, and it does entertain, and it manages to have a coherent story, with understandable motivations. As a superhero film it isn't as engaging as the Batman films, nor is it a standout like "The Avengers." It is as a summer film, decent enough, and it is in that milieu the score above should be viewed. Expand
  87. Jul 4, 2013
    Es algo básico teniendo en cuenta que es el super heroe mas importante de todos los tiempos, tiene sus momentos de gran accion y entretenimiento sin embargo aun falta mas trabajo no en efectos porque eso si lo destaco si no en el trayecto como tal de la pelicula
  88. Jun 18, 2013
    I went into the theater with great expectations but what I am left with
    is just pure disappointment. So what went bad Snyder is more
    interested in blowing up things, things he come upon road, sky, etc. than establishing his characters to intimate levels. If people are to see the disintegration of skyscrapers and such, they can always have Michael Bay at their disposal. But why
    I went into the theater with great expectations but what I am left with
    is just pure disappointment. So what went bad Snyder is more
    interested in blowing up things, things he come upon road, sky, etc.
    than establishing his characters to intimate levels. If people are to
    see the disintegration of skyscrapers and such, they can always have
    Michael Bay at their disposal. But why Superman This could have been
    a much better movie with little expansion of Clark's Kansas story and
    limiting the explosions for a few occasions. I tried to see through if
    there's anything more than just detonations but I couldn't possibly do.

There is some serious lack of charm in Cavill's Kal-El and so does in
    Amy Adams' Lois Lane. In occupying the screen presence, only Costner
    seems to pull it off and Crowe in parts here and there. And there's
    this non-linear telling, which should have accounted for some
    fascination, actually back fires. Had the script been filled with some
    take-the-cake cliff-hanger moments, it could have worked. I am a fan of
    superman myself but, in all conscience, I cannot imagine me liking the
    movie despite its flaws, thanks to all the deafening things happening
    in the last hour.

Not entirely soulless though. At least not until when Zimmer is around.
    The living legend with all his might gives this undirected thing a
    background score to rejoice. I cannot believe Nolan is a part of story
    credit. Rest in peace, Superman. and if you are to resurrect, I wish to
    god, let there be some less noise.
  89. Jun 26, 2013
    Went yesterday to see it, and i was very excited about it! But it was a disappointment! Two hours of useless fight and meaningless words! I mean there was a basic story which i liked no Lex Louthor, the bad guy Zod was from Krypton etc.), but there was no script! Even the fights were hyper. I did not like the music, there was not any flow in the story. I only save the effects, and ofWent yesterday to see it, and i was very excited about it! But it was a disappointment! Two hours of useless fight and meaningless words! I mean there was a basic story which i liked no Lex Louthor, the bad guy Zod was from Krypton etc.), but there was no script! Even the fights were hyper. I did not like the music, there was not any flow in the story. I only save the effects, and of course Kevin Costner, Russel Crow and Michael Shannon! The couple was not too convincing, and Henry Cavil was average but ''empty'' as Superman! Expand
  90. Jul 16, 2013
    This movie could have been so much better if it was just played out straight like a regular superhero movie instead of serenading us with some emotional piece-of-ass. The beginning honestly got me wondering if i was watching an amateur college-student-budget film project rather than, hello, a Superman movie from a big Hollywood Studio. The timeline stuff was and it wasn't until theThis movie could have been so much better if it was just played out straight like a regular superhero movie instead of serenading us with some emotional piece-of-ass. The beginning honestly got me wondering if i was watching an amateur college-student-budget film project rather than, hello, a Superman movie from a big Hollywood Studio. The timeline stuff was and it wasn't until the action started that i felt a little comfortable. This movie did something I never thought possible: It made me dislike a superhero. Thanks a lot Zach Snyder. The whole emotional superhero thing worked for The Dark Knight Rises but only because Nolan was in charge and because Batman had been introduced to us earlier. In one word, let me summarize this movie: I only give it a 5 because the action was good and the back-story was nice as well. The execution- BLEH! Expand
  91. Jul 14, 2013
    I have come to expect more from Christopher Nolan's projects. Even ones he doesn't direct. The film is beautiful, it's sprawling, it's epic, it's personal but at a certain point it's just more Superman and I'm not sure that makes it better.
  92. Feb 3, 2014
    今年最好看的超级英雄电影,特别是前面90分钟对于超人的前世今生寻找自我的心路历程描写的超赞,片头氪星超美,最后的打斗戏眼花缭乱较为平庸但还是比较震撼。配乐超级棒,摄影和剪辑超棒。亨利卡维尔的超人演得真棒!
  93. Jun 25, 2013
    The film gets off to a slow start, but makes up for it later on with an 'almost' overly long action sequence but luckily the action scenes are well played out and are stunning to watch. This really is superman redesigned, if your a fan of the old superman and come here expecting the old superman, then your probably going to leave the cinema feeling disappointed. On the other hand, look atThe film gets off to a slow start, but makes up for it later on with an 'almost' overly long action sequence but luckily the action scenes are well played out and are stunning to watch. This really is superman redesigned, if your a fan of the old superman and come here expecting the old superman, then your probably going to leave the cinema feeling disappointed. On the other hand, look at it in a brand spanking new superman and the effect is quite different. The story was basic but well delivered, but the narration could have used abit of work. Some characters didn't feel at all fleshed out and kind of bland at times, even superman himself at times. The biggest and liveliest character of the film was supermans enemy, Zod. Simply put, one of the best villains in a hero movie ever. Infact saying he was a villain would be almost unfair, if you actually get inside Zod's mind, you see that he isn't doing the things out of pure evil nature but for the good of his race and that is what he has been born for. I give this film a very strong 7 or a 7.5 if the rating system had it. Expand
  94. Jun 14, 2013
    Visually stunning and action was some of the best I have seen in a superhero action type genre (which literally saved me from giving this film a lower score). Story could have used a lot of help though. Pacing was really bad, too much jumping back and forth from and no real establishment of anything related to superman (you as the viewer are already expected to know the superman universeVisually stunning and action was some of the best I have seen in a superhero action type genre (which literally saved me from giving this film a lower score). Story could have used a lot of help though. Pacing was really bad, too much jumping back and forth from and no real establishment of anything related to superman (you as the viewer are already expected to know the superman universe I guess). I do think that critics have given it a fairly low score though, although it could have used work I believe that the ratings should be much higher, especially higher than the latest Iron Man movie which was complete garbage. Expand
  95. Nov 14, 2013
    Man Of Steel is movie that will split the audience in two. Gone is the humor and the light coloring,what there is left is a serious take on Superman, one that takes also makes changes big and suttle.

The basic superhero formula is gone, and if you expect Clark Kent, comes to town to save humanity, then you will be disappointed. Man Of Steel is about an Alien, that has to come to terms with this fact, to fit in and utimately make a choice good or bad.

And just because you have these superpowers and could cause mayhem as in total annihalation or be that individual that helps other and humanity doesn't mean that you from birth is given this kind of morality nor commitment. And this is basically what this movie does. It makes us understand that Kal-EL is as complex as he is strong.

The movie also shows us what his powers can actually do, and the destruction caused by these powers are more than huge they are out of this world.

To me as an adult, Man Of Steel is finally the movie that gives me what I would expect from a Superman movie 2013.
    Superman is holier than thou material, and as such I can understand, some of the bad reviews, but they miss the fundamental fabric of this movie, that it isn't supposed to mimic or replace Donners movies.
  96. Jun 17, 2013
    Overall a fantastic superhero movie. But a little disappointment that General Zod the powerful enemy of superman dies in a little fight which should be extended for next part and there is disappointment from Henry Cavill's acting although he have a great body which is suitable for Superman but I think Superman Should at least looks like the "Captain America". I think this movie create newOverall a fantastic superhero movie. But a little disappointment that General Zod the powerful enemy of superman dies in a little fight which should be extended for next part and there is disappointment from Henry Cavill's acting although he have a great body which is suitable for Superman but I think Superman Should at least looks like the "Captain America". I think this movie create new standards for action movies. Surely this is a next level of action in any action movie Expand
  97. Jun 15, 2013
    Well shot and beautiful to look at. However, as a superhero action movie it did not keep me entertained. The basic problem being Superman is basically a god on Earth, so how do you give him a weakness? How do you make him relatable; at least you could relate to Batman. MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD: I was really bored in the last 30 minutes when it was basically just a slugfest between Superman andWell shot and beautiful to look at. However, as a superhero action movie it did not keep me entertained. The basic problem being Superman is basically a god on Earth, so how do you give him a weakness? How do you make him relatable; at least you could relate to Batman. MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD: I was really bored in the last 30 minutes when it was basically just a slugfest between Superman and General Zod. Expand
  98. Jun 16, 2013
    The main problem with this film is that it contains an inordinate amount of essentially pointless content. Roughly 30 minutes is spent on exhaustive (if superbly rendered) fight scenes, all of which could be described as totally unnecessary given that the films ending is so obvious: good over evil, difficult moral choice, bright future et al. The Christopher Nolan touch is apparent in theThe main problem with this film is that it contains an inordinate amount of essentially pointless content. Roughly 30 minutes is spent on exhaustive (if superbly rendered) fight scenes, all of which could be described as totally unnecessary given that the films ending is so obvious: good over evil, difficult moral choice, bright future et al. The Christopher Nolan touch is apparent in the quality of the film's production, but not in it's plot. Furthermore, at times the dialogue descends into superhero movie cliché, none of which is as rewarding as it is in say, the Tobey Maguire Spiderman series. Aside from this, the film makes for an enjoyable watch, with some genuinely moving, epic and humourous moments, and it provides an excellent platform for what could be a fitting followup series to the Dark Knight trilogy in the DC Universe. Expand
  99. Jun 17, 2013
    I really like the movie. It kind of let me down though. It was really dark, their was few comedy. The old supermans were not like that. And their was to much mass destruction. Their was more explosions in this film than all the marvel movies combined. Snyder has done 300 and watchmen. And those were just like this. It put me on the edge of my seat more than I can enjoy. I think they wereI really like the movie. It kind of let me down though. It was really dark, their was few comedy. The old supermans were not like that. And their was to much mass destruction. Their was more explosions in this film than all the marvel movies combined. Snyder has done 300 and watchmen. And those were just like this. It put me on the edge of my seat more than I can enjoy. I think they were trying to be to original. Their also wasn't enough interaction between lois and clark. One second he is saving her and the next they are kissing. It was to rushed. I wasnt to big of a fan of the shaky camera thing that he did. All in all. Casting for everyone was perfect. Story was great. I just really wish that Zack Snyder didn't do this movie. This movie had so much potential. But he I truly believe is the reason this movie doesn't have a metacritic score higher than 60 Expand
  100. Jun 17, 2013
    Just like any other movie written by Nolan, it will naturally have layers. And any movie directed by Snyder will look spectacular. But if it was edited differently, it might be more pleasing to the fans. Nevertheless, I thought it was fantastic! By far it is the best Superman film yet.

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.