7.6

1. Jun 24, 2013
    I was super hyped about this movie, but started doubted if it was going to be good from seeing the critics hate on it. But boy were they wrong this movie is AMAZING! Not as good as the Dark Knight movies but still a hundred times better than Superman Returns. Also this movie has superb action (you finally get to see Superman kick some ass!) and emotion, and a great villain, and they don'tI was super hyped about this movie, but started doubted if it was going to be good from seeing the critics hate on it. But boy were they wrong this movie is AMAZING! Not as good as the Dark Knight movies but still a hundred times better than Superman Returns. Also this movie has superb action (you finally get to see Superman kick some ass!) and emotion, and a great villain, and they don't shove all the love stuff with Lois Lane down your throat, it's natural. Overall best Superman movie, and best origin story (for a superhero, but Batman Begins is still amazing) Expand
  2. Jun 27, 2013
    First things first, I loved this movie! It has it's flaws but still a great film to watch. I was actually very impressed with Henry Cavill. He did an amazing job as superman. Overall the acting was superb, though maybe not the best script ever. The action was epic in scale but it didn't have the same weight as The Avengers' action did, it felt a bit generic and bland. Overall thisFirst things first, I loved this movie! It has it's flaws but still a great film to watch. I was actually very impressed with Henry Cavill. He did an amazing job as superman. Overall the acting was superb, though maybe not the best script ever. The action was epic in scale but it didn't have the same weight as The Avengers' action did, it felt a bit generic and bland. Overall this film has much of everything, emotion, action and some humor. Great film Expand
  3. Jun 27, 2013
    Haters gonna like. I have to admit that I don't like Superman but Man of steel was an extraordinary action packed film with extraordinary visual effects and music. Tries to reach The Avengers though it doesn't achieve it. The appearance of Christopher Nolan is something that can be easily seen with all that dark stuff on that movie. Michael Shannon was the best enemy that Superman couldHaters gonna like. I have to admit that I don't like Superman but Man of steel was an extraordinary action packed film with extraordinary visual effects and music. Tries to reach The Avengers though it doesn't achieve it. The appearance of Christopher Nolan is something that can be easily seen with all that dark stuff on that movie. Michael Shannon was the best enemy that Superman could have. Amy Adams was always as if she was crying through the whole movie. I will watch the sequel (if they make one). I enjoyed it and it is certainly a film for the cinema and not for the DVD. i liked that it also showed past and now at the same time. Thumbs up! Expand
  4. Jun 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Finally a good Superman movie that is grounded in the real world while still being about a God like Alien. Also nice to see Zod having a legitimate reason for what he is doing and making Superman have some hard choices. Bring on the next one. Expand
  5. Jul 3, 2013
    I just saw Man of Steel at the IMAX 3D. It was the best rendition of superman I have ever seen. The acting, storyline, and graphics was epic! I can't wait to see it again! My favorite movie this far! I recommend everyone see this film.
  6. Jun 30, 2013
    Watched again yesterday. And still giving it a 10. Just amazing movie. And a first movie I go to see twice in the theatre. Just great, really opened up more with the 2nd viewing. Zod is a great villain!
  7. Jun 23, 2013
    It's not a masterpiece that will go on to win the Oscars next year. But it's the biggest, loudest, action packed movie that Superman deserved. It definitely has the Snyder touch, and you can see Nolan's influence in it too.
    The pacing is good (not great though) and it keeps some balance at least for the first half of the movie. Then we get to see some good old school Superman action, with enemies that can fight toe to toe with him.
    The supporting cast is good, the story flows, sometimes a little forced, but overall it's a great movie.
  8. Jun 24, 2013
    So I finally saw this movie today and I must admit that it was really everything that I wanted in a Superman movie. Henry Cavill was Superman, even though I really liked Brandon Routh, he just wasnt given the right medium to really fully embody the character that Cavill played in this film.

Amy Adams was a very good Lois Lane, with her larger than life reporter. She was given little time to grow as a character but I am sure if there is a sequel then that will give her more time to shine.

The actor who played Zod was very good. I mean I will always have a place in my heart of Terrence Stamp, but this new Zod was very good.

Russel Crowe as Jor-El was very well played and not over acted at all.

Overall this was a very interesting and refreshing new take on Superman, and I hope there is something more coming down the pipeline on this one
  9. Jun 27, 2013
    Instead of telling all obvious good things about this movie, I will just say that i will watch it again tomorrow. I have NEVER done this with any movie. And this is coming from a person who was never a big fan of Superman.
  10. Jun 26, 2013
    So many don't like it. I loved it.

This is what I call the Prometheus syndrome. Many hate it, but many loved it, and I loved Man of Steel, even though I am aware of some of it's problems- the same with Prometheus, but I don't think it brings down the film as much as it has been made out to be. This was my most anticipated movie of the year, and to be honest I had been hesitant from
    So many don't like it. I loved it.

This was my most anticipated movie of the year, and to be honest I had been hesitant from the start, as I had never been fully keen on Zack Snyder's work, I always found that they were good, but never great, with films such as Watchmen and the Owls movie- or they were just plain awful... Sucker Punch. This is, by far, Snyder's best work, and although many haven't liked the action- it flew by for me- the whole film whizzed past actually, while for most it seemed to drag. This film made me feel like a kid, as at one point I was sitting with my mouth wide open at the scale of the thing, and I literally jumped out of my seat when Superman himself, or Kal-El I should say, started throwing down in the air, against Zod.

Another concern I had did come to fruition, with many saying David S. Goyer will bring greatness to the project, but actually he has written some awful movies, and when people said 'He wrote The Dark knight Rises'- this is incorrect, he did the story for it. Films that he has written recently would be 'Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance', 'Jumper' and 'The Unborn'. Three awful films, that although the script isn't as bad as I am making it out to be, there are a few weird lines that pulled me out of the scene. I liked the structure Goyer gave, although it did lack some depth, I felt like I got enough to become emotionally connected to the characters.

The two strongest parts of the film would probably be the performances, and also the effects. I normally would criticize a film for one of it's strongest parts being the effects. But this is probably some of the best effects work I have ever seen. In this kind of scale anyway. As this film is big, and there is a hell of a lot of carnage.

Sure when you think about it. A lot of people died. But hey. Superman. it's all that's needed to be said. Bad argument, I know. But... Superman.

As part of the effects work, this also some of the best action I have personally ever witnessed, in scale and execution. It's crazy. I have heard that many simply turned off and got numbed by it, but I was the guy who wanted more. As I said earlier, I honestly felt like a kid watching my favorite comic books moments coming to life. Properly.

Here's a rundown of the performances:

Henry Caville- He plays a great Superman, and although the character was lacking in the script department, I definitely connected with him. And he WAS Superman.

Michael Shannon- He worked for me, and I preferred his reasons to go to Earth. There is an established reason for what he is doing, and he believes what he is doing is for the better. It is not I'm a bad guy. Blah. Although anyone could have really played the character, it wasn't a stand out role, but served a purpose.

Russell Crowe- Awesome. Krypton scenes- some of the best of the film. Amazing stuff there. And he is perfect.

Amy Adams- Good Lois Lane. She is given some weird lines though that doesn't suit the tone of the film, e.g. 'What if I need to tinkle?' Also the Superman-Lane relationship is a little rushed, and could have been left to a later film.

Kevin Costner- Again, great, although almost a bit underused. But he is almost the underlying hero of the film.

Diane Lane- Also good etc.

In other words. Go see it. Here, The Prometheus Syndrome, comes into effect. And today we see the creation of The Man of Steel Syndrome.
  11. Jun 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the most enjoyable movies this summer so far. Critics have no idea what they're talking about. The soundtrack was a little overpowering at times, but that's all I have to say about this movie in a bad way. This movie is action-packed, has really good acting, and pretty good presentation. I think that some people don't really like the way Zod is defeated in battle, when Supes cracks his neck, and I understand that. But he really didn't want to. He had to save that innocent family from dying. I would've done the same thing if I was him. It takes a little while to get some where, but you will not regret going to see this movie, I promise. Expand
  12. Jun 19, 2013
    Words can't even begin to describe how awesome this movie is!Heartbreaking performances,outstanding fights scenes and CGI.Man of Steel reaches perfection.EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!
  13. Jun 29, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant with awesome acting and awesome effects this film is the best film of 2013 and that's is not arguable at all. I don't see why the critics are saying sores like 53 out of 100 as that's wrong and they should change their scores to 90 at least.
  14. Jun 18, 2013
    Finally a superhero movie with superhero worthy action scenes. I felt like it was taken straight from a comic book. The special effects are perfect and there's a great cast. I would have liked more development of superman;s character, but that is a small complaint compared to the epic fight scenes and solid storytelling. 9/10
  15. Jun 19, 2013
    I went into this movie with high expectations. And wow was I pleased. The work done on this movie was phenomenal.
    People have issues with the casting for a few characters, but I will say that it was perfect. The movie nailed it. And I can not wait to see a new one.

My only problem was that it was short, and if the movie was longer, then there would have been more character development. Other than that I had no issue.

I love new and dark approach to the heroes of the DC Universe, and I pray that the rest of the heroes and heroine have the same feeling.

This movie has the story, the characters, the acting and the action.

16. Jun 14, 2013
    I had my doubts about Man Of Steel but after watching Superman come alive and kick some serious ass, I was happily proved wrong. The film captures the humanity of Superman's search to be human even after finding out who he really is. David S. Goyer's screenplay perfectly reflects Kal-El's struggles and challenges growing up in today's world. Zack Snyder has managed to do the impossible, heI had my doubts about Man Of Steel but after watching Superman come alive and kick some serious ass, I was happily proved wrong. The film captures the humanity of Superman's search to be human even after finding out who he really is. David S. Goyer's screenplay perfectly reflects Kal-El's struggles and challenges growing up in today's world. Zack Snyder has managed to do the impossible, he has successfully made the Man Of Steel relevant and above all human. With a strong cast including Russel Crowe as Jor-El, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and of course Henry Cavill as Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El. Michael Shannon makes a truly menacing General Zod that you actually respect for his notions but understand his questionable motives. Overall, Man Of Steel is a pleasant surprise filled with plenty of little Easter eggs for DC fans to look out for. This is one summer blockbuster you won't want to miss, Zack Snyder has created another epic superhero masterpiece. Expand
  17. Jun 14, 2013
    Very, very well made movie. Despite the last forty minutes being one straight up action scene, the first one hundred are excellent insights into Clark Kent's troubled character. Not to mention a climax that will leave you agape.
  18. Jun 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel takes from Superman lore the aspects that fans of the original films have been dreaming about for over 3 decades.

Superman II is the film that really grabbed my imagination from the original motion pictures during my youth. It excited me like nothing else had before. It was the baddie film. Superbeings fighting and throwing each other through Coke signs! Despite the Lester/Donnar pollution, the film is iconic. Not least for Terrance Stamps role as General Zod and the über-sexy Sarah Douglas as Ursa.

This retelling of the franchise, grounded in the Zod story arc is just an incredible proposition for fans like me.

To open on the visualisation of the birth of the Man of Steel is brilliant story telling. The old story is fresh and new straight away. The film gives us enough on screen, and, coupled with 'the good jist', the story romps along without treading to closely on old worn ground and risk growing stale whilst stumbling over a back-story most of the audience will know.

All grown up and Superman who is known, excellently, as Kal-El throughout the film, is unsure of himself, new, or initially without, good knowledge of his past he appears a vulnerable lost soul. His powers are unrealised and he simply uses his moral compass (and some good hear-say)to direct him to an answer, if there is one...and there is *thumbs up* Then gets real.

Michael Shannon's portrayal of General Zod is nothing short of sensational. His character is not the 'Bad' guy in the usual sense of the word. He is a creation of a society who's morals are questionable 'even' by our human standards and he is driven in his beliefs and is all the more dangerous for it.

Henry 'Kal-El' Cavill is brilliant. The character is written so well you can identify with this vision of Superman like never before. With Cavill you feel that we are all along for the same ride and we like where it is going.

Amy Adams is perfectly cast as Lois Lane. She is a remarkable actress and this role seems naturally made for her. The relationship between Lois and Superman is fresh and uncertain. I enjoyed the story arc but missed a little chemistry between the two and the last kiss didn't impact on me and, looking back, I thought it should have. Teed up nicely for the sequel though I have no doubt.

I did have a couple of winces and the biggie for me was the 'Jesus Christ' shot of Kal-El departing the spacecraft following a final farewell to his father, Jor-El. I am not a massive follower of every Superman comic in print. I have a collection but would not consider myself an expert. So I cannot say whether this imagery is integral for the die hard comic fans'. For me, it is not needed, the symbolism of religious connotation is obvious if you 'want' look for it, without it being rammed down our throats so crassly.

Another stab came from the military subordinates' question regarding terraforming. In order to better explain the situation (spoonfeed the audience) a soldier/officer pipes up and asks "What's Terraforming". I truly believe that the majority of fans and people in general will have heard of the word terraforming and have a grasp on, essentially, what it is. A better put 'explain please' question would have been, in response to "They're terraforming" would be "How are they doing it"?

Good eyes also, on intrepid reporter Lois Lane, to spot a shadowy figure on her digital camera preview screen!?!

Influentially I think that Christopher Nolan was on the bus but Zach Snyder and David Goyer were definitely in the driving seat. The pace of the film is relentless, I thought that the 3rd act needed to take breath before the final showdown to prepare the audience a little more for the upcoming clash. And... What a battle. What a fight. Nothing was spared, those buildings were empty by then, smash 'em up and ..oh and *He breaks his freakin' neck* Evolution or extinction? Right there the Superman character took a massive evolutionary leap forward.

Man of Steel is visually stunning with an incredible soundtrack. The 3D aspect is good. I thought that the effect worked best during close up shots especially between Jor-El and his wife Lara before launching the capsule. I am not a fan of the art at all so I would have preferred a 2D viewing (not possible at our local cinema) So I look forward to that fresh viewing on a beautiful Steel-book Blu-Ray with a flawless transfer...I hope.

Leaving the cinema, I immediately wanted turn round, sit down and watch it again (Very rare since I was probably 16) and took with me the message that I got from the film and that was; We can be better. We all, really can be 'Superman' if we choose to be. And that's not bad.

I don't often dole out top marks. Many people believe that a 10/10 or 5 Stars is not the done thing? 'No such thing as a perfect film'! But when a film comes along that has so much riding on it and is much more than the sum of it's parts and is really bloody good then really; Fair Play, Sold!

Suffice it to say that Man of Steel is a benchmark Summer Blockbuster classic.
  19. Jun 30, 2013
    A cinematic blockbuster with action scenes that will just AMAZE you! Yes, this is a different take on the most iconic Superhero that was ever created but, in my opinion, it is better for it. This is a updated and modern Superman for this generation of movie-goers, as it is for those of us who didn't grew up with the original Superman movies back in the late 1970's and 1980's Many fansA cinematic blockbuster with action scenes that will just AMAZE you! Yes, this is a different take on the most iconic Superhero that was ever created but, in my opinion, it is better for it. This is a updated and modern Superman for this generation of movie-goers, as it is for those of us who didn't grew up with the original Superman movies back in the late 1970's and 1980's Many fans have already said to ignore critics as most of their reviews are very harsh. I agree with the fans. Many of the critics compare this movie to the original superman movies as they said that those movies had more heart and humor. To me, this is very unfair and biased as they can't accept the fact that this is a reboot and thus a different Superman from the one that they remember from the original films. This new Superman is grounded, and more serious Expand
  20. Jun 19, 2013
    Upon hearing general zod as the main villain....I was a bit dissapointed.....but well, after seing the trailer....I guessed MoS still have hope to be decent movie....but after seeing this movie....THIS IS THE BEST SUPERMAN MOVIE YETTTTT!!!!!!! Pure Action..... I never like Superman stories being told with stupid drama and romance like Superman Returns....I don't care about those critics too
  21. Jun 19, 2013
    Do not listen to the critics.. this is by far the best superman movie till date!!
    The action is phenomenal and Henry Cavill has done an amazing job, he is Superman!

I wasn't not a huge Superman fan to be honest but after watching this movie I am now!
  22. Jun 14, 2013
    I went into this film with the taste of the ABYSMAL "superman returns" in my mind like a lingering cringe worthy memory from my teen years that I would never shake, what I got to my surprise was a movie that had NO BAD ACTING. Let me reiterate, NO... BAD...ACTING... even the criminally underused actors didn't in any point in time under or over act their roles, and this is a movie with moreI went into this film with the taste of the ABYSMAL "superman returns" in my mind like a lingering cringe worthy memory from my teen years that I would never shake, what I got to my surprise was a movie that had NO BAD ACTING. Let me reiterate, NO... BAD...ACTING... even the criminally underused actors didn't in any point in time under or over act their roles, and this is a movie with more than enough respectable names in supporting roles. I think the best way of describing it as, would be a "sci-fi" superman as opposed to a "comic book superman" this isn't the avengers, where a city is invaded and little to no casualties occur, this is people being killed and "the boy scout" having to step up and make a choice between the people he longs to connect with, or humanity whom he's afraid to try to connect with. The very magnitude and serious handling of these drives make for the first recent origin movie of one of the biggest DC superheroes to be worthy of being just that, while everyone can of course respect the old romps that were the christopher reeve films, this transcends those early camp beginnings and offers up something that is truly special. The irony is that those that seem to be scoring this movie low, seem to be of the kind that would prefer another hackneyed love story with a silly bit of action a la superman returns. This is not a romantic drama fan-fic esque terribad film with cheesy acting and campy villains however.. this film is a real bona fide epic. Expand
  23. Jun 14, 2013
    MILD SPOILERS ALERT. First of all this movie was amazing. I'll keep this review short. This movie has a lot of action in it and I guess it does have too much in it but they are cool scenes. All of the acting are great. This movie has a lot of emotional depth to it, one is because of a scene involving Jonathan Kent, the other at the end of the fight with Superman and Zod. All in all greatMILD SPOILERS ALERT. First of all this movie was amazing. I'll keep this review short. This movie has a lot of action in it and I guess it does have too much in it but they are cool scenes. All of the acting are great. This movie has a lot of emotional depth to it, one is because of a scene involving Jonathan Kent, the other at the end of the fight with Superman and Zod. All in all great movie, one of the best movie of the year along with star trek and I am looking forward to Justice League!! Expand
  24. Jun 26, 2013
    Gets better each time you watch it. I understand the critics' and their need to see more character development, but with the powers that the characters possess, they needed it to be realistic, i.e., globally impacted. The sequel will redeem Zack and Henry.
  25. Jun 17, 2013
    An awesome use of special effects to create the best superman movie to date. Along with the almost never ending action the fight scenes in the film are the best I have ever seen in our cinema to date.

26. Jun 15, 2013
    Finally Superman was given a just reboot! Henry Cavill plays the role well and is perfectly fit for the it. The screenplay was well-written, decent. Visual effects were fantastic while sound and editing were well done. The cast delivered beyond satisfactory. A motion picture-of-the-year material. Man of Steel is this decade's The Dark Knight (2008).

movienotesbook.blogspot.com
  27. Jun 14, 2013
    I wasn't sure what to expect when I went to watch this movie but I was blown away by it. It is a very Serious movie and I love that. I find Iron man and the avengers to funny and they have many lines that pander to kids. This movie was great in every way. I loved the tone atmosphere and acting was great too. You must see this movie if your an adult.
  28. Jun 16, 2013
    This movie isnt perfect but it definitely is a good start for where they want to head with this. I am happy to say that it is in the right direction.

The ACTING was superb by everyone, just the actors on Krypton had be engaged. I like how they world builded Krypton instead of it being a boring white planet like the past movies... The ACTION was great but I dont understand the hate

The ACTION was great but I dont understand the hate for the too much when it was Zod vs Superman; I'm sorry but if you have two or more Kryptonians fight, the environment around them id bound to get immensely destroyed.

The STORY was a great origin story, but I can understand some people not on board with the whole flashback way but for me it workds. The way it was intertwined with present events worked well imo.

My only complaint will have to be some of the pacing, it wasnt awful but it could be improved, there were just some parts when you are waiting for things to happen but it wasnt that bad. The pacing was just fine.

I think the critics are wrong for comparing this to Donner bc
    1) Its a reboot,
    2)Donner didnt make Superman.
    You should definitely walk in with an open mind forgetting Donner and instead expect a movie that goes by the comics instead of the Donner films for once.
  29. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just pure beauty....coming from a marvel man myself. I loved how Snyder captures the connection between Clark and his earth dad...and how its over ins tornado accident...as he watched his dad needlessly die even though he could help his dad risked his life for clarks safety PURE BEAUTY Expand
  30. Jun 19, 2013
    Man of Steel (2013) is a modern day take on the Superman lore, it introduces the viewers to Superman's past and his birth on Planet Krypton. The movie wastes no time and plunges the viewer into great action set pieces, while building the foundation for the movies lore.

The characters are believable and their performances are very solid for this type of movie. The so called critics who slam the movie for not having enough humor or for over the top action or for whatever unprofessional reason are completely unfounded in their "arguments" and just prove how arrogant non objective they are, this is not 1970's, hero movies must retain a serious tone to be relevant nowadays.

For the type of movie this is, it is a 8/10 any day of the week! It is by far the most ambitious take on a Superman movie, and it whole heartily succeeds.

Go see this movie if you are a action/science fiction/superhero fan. You won't be disappointed.
  31. Jun 14, 2013
    Nolan and Synder set out to do something with this film that most fans of Superman have longed for, create a Superman that is relevant. Man of Steel delivers on almost every level. The vision is epic, the delivery is epic and there is action. Tons of SUPER action. I saw the movie in 3D...honestly, didn't improve the movie over a 2D I am quite sure. The movie sticks to a pleasant paceNolan and Synder set out to do something with this film that most fans of Superman have longed for, create a Superman that is relevant. Man of Steel delivers on almost every level. The vision is epic, the delivery is epic and there is action. Tons of SUPER action. I saw the movie in 3D...honestly, didn't improve the movie over a 2D I am quite sure. The movie sticks to a pleasant pace with one notable scene being somewhat of a tear jerker towards the middle of the movie. The movie delivers what most wished the previous 3 movies could have been. Solid action, great story and visually stunning. Expand
  32. Jun 14, 2013
    Finally a good Superman movie. Yes, it was serious, but DC's New 52 and all the Warner Premiere movies are serious. DC is serious, deal with it.
    Also, some people complained that there was too much unbelievable action. Superman CAN punch the moon out of orbit. Even if we know that is not possible, who cares. If you want "realistic" watch a documentary. Superman fans want to see the Man of Steel get punched through a mountain.
    This movie catered to the real DC fan. It is what a Superman movie should be.
    So in brief, if you want weak, funny characters, they make Marvel movies for that.
    And if you think this movie was worse that Superman Returns, they make a pill for that.
  33. Jun 14, 2013
    This was the perfect Superman movie! I loved how Snyder captured the essence of Krypton and told the full story of how Kal-El's home planet was destroyed. I thought Russell Crowe played a perfect Zor-El as he brought substance to Kal in the times that he needed it the most. Amy Adams was a perfect Lois Lane as she embodied everything that the character needed to have including heart, aThis was the perfect Superman movie! I loved how Snyder captured the essence of Krypton and told the full story of how Kal-El's home planet was destroyed. I thought Russell Crowe played a perfect Zor-El as he brought substance to Kal in the times that he needed it the most. Amy Adams was a perfect Lois Lane as she embodied everything that the character needed to have including heart, a go-get am attitude and the wit to know when not to write a story about an alien living on Earth. Henry Cavill played a wonderful Superman and I would say that he brought the character to life more than Christopher Reeve did with the 1978 movie.

Overall, people will complain about the serious tone that this movie had along with the special effects. However, I argue that this is a new telling of the Superman story and it should be taken serious. Think Batman Begins. As far as the special effects, that was one of the big reasons why I did not love the Avengers. However, this is Superman after all and he does fly so the special effects are a given. But the movie could have used less destruction of Metropolis, but I believe it made up for itself by the stellar acting of the entire crew.

Overall, I would rank this movie as the 3rd best Superhero movie of all time. My top 5 are as follows:

1) The Dark Knight
    Story Line: 10
    Picture: 9.5
    Action: 8.2
    Average: 9 (round off)
    Movie is worth watching. Do not listen to the critics. It is great and powerful; just how superhero movies should be made. If this turns into a full on justice league movie you will be proud to say that you followed the story from its epic beginnings.
  35. Jun 22, 2013
    A WORD OF ADVICE: Don't mind what critics have said about this movie! MAN OF STEEL is a masterpiece! Go watch it for yourselves. The film is worth every dollar you'll spend on movie-going. Don't miss watching this on the big screen especially in 3D to enjoy it in its fullest glory. Even if you have a big flat screen 3D TV, don't wait for the DVD or BluRay format in stores cuz you'llA WORD OF ADVICE: Don't mind what critics have said about this movie! MAN OF STEEL is a masterpiece! Go watch it for yourselves. The film is worth every dollar you'll spend on movie-going. Don't miss watching this on the big screen especially in 3D to enjoy it in its fullest glory. Even if you have a big flat screen 3D TV, don't wait for the DVD or BluRay format in stores cuz you'll miss a great deal from the actual big screen experience. Of course, we gotta buy our own when its out on the market cuz were going to definitely see & enjoy it again and again. I have seen this 3 times already and, every time, it got better and better to a point of concluding that Zach Snyder is indeed a true directorial genius and the David Goyer-Christopher Nolan storytelling team-up equally outstanding in retelling the Superman canon! Retrofitting in today's advances, the filmmakers succeeded beyond our expectations of rebooting this most loved superhero of all-time. Without the red brief (why is it outside by the way?), Superman looks current and does not look at all like 75 years old. We call this film "Superman Reborn" and aptly so. Fresh as a morning dew, MAN OF STEEL literally saves the day and ultimately takes back his rightful place which is at the top of the heap of all superheroes. All the actors were perfectly cast. A very determined Henry Cavill was not "humorless" as he took on a more serious (not Dark Knight dark) version of the Man of Steel. The-not-too-feminine-blond-more-than-brunette Amy Adams was perfect as Lois Lane to Cavill's Clark. She had enough held-back spunk & flirt in her reminiscent of all the other Lois-es like Margot Kidder & Teri Hatcher who truly owned the role. It was smart of them to make this version of Lois Lane not that dumb to recognize through Superman's disguise (glasses, really?) and it was great that the filmmakers did not explore the romance between these 2 characters (there's just too much to take in) reserving it for the sequel as they focus more on Kal-El's search of being (To critics: this is the reason why Cavill's humor is held at bay. Try checking out MAN OF STEEL's commercial on Carl's Jr and Hardee's. You'll know this actor is far from being "humorless"). Michael Shannon exudes shades of Willem Dafoe/Joaquin Phoenix in his performance as a more likable Zod here---meaning, he is nothing short of brilliant as an actor. His chilling delivery of "YOU ARE NOT ALONE" ominous message gave us goosebumps galore. It has a spooky feel to it reminiscent of "The Ring". The scene-stealer of the house was Antje Traue as Faora. Man, that woman kicks serious ass! And you'd think Michael Shannon's Zod's badass-ness was to the rafters---Hers skyrocketed and blew the top off! She's undeniably the Eve to Zod's Adam, in other words, the whole thingy can't be told without her. And then there's the 2 Robin Hoods, Russell Crowe & Kevin Costner. It was such a treat to see these 2 great thespians in one film. One word to describe their presence---EPIC! Both of them brought a whole new meaning to that word. While Russell Crowe re-introduced us the Gladiator we all loved in the introductory part of the movie, Kevin Costner gave us Field of Dreams all over again bringing (a tug in the) heart, soul and balance throughout the film. Laurence Fishburne as Perry White was a superb choice. He was great as a leader-of-the-pack Morpheus in the Matrix films and he was equally chief to head the Daily Planet in this one. He truly embodied the sharp boss of Amy's Lois Lane Unfaithful's Diane Lane is no stranger to take on the role of a mother to a child gifted with superpowers. Remember she was the mother to Hayden Christensen in JUMPER so it's but naturally fitting for her to be cast as the "hot version" of Martha Kent (You know, hot dude--hot mom, makes sense right?). Lucky Henry Cavill gets to have not just one but two hot mamas here. Although Ayelet Zurer's appearance as Lara Lor-Van El (the real mother of Kal-El) was only brief, her steely heartbreaking performance was searing enough to last. To sum it up, MAN OF STEEL have enough ingredient for every movie-goer to enjoy. The action is fully packed especially in the climax part of the film. Watching the sequences is like being in the final series of loops of a roller coaster leaving you wanting more at the end of the ride. And what better soundtrack than Hans Zimmer's brilliant otherwordly drum-rolling score to keep the excitement going. If John Williams made us believe a man can fly in the Donner films, Hans Zimmer made us believe Superman can soar & battle again for superhero supremacy at 75 in this Snyder extravaganza. On my first viewing of the movie, I thought there were small lapses in the editing but concluded later on in my second and third viewing that it was artfully & thoughtfully done---more cohesive than I have originally thought. Go watch MAN OF STEEL and see for yourselves then watch it again! Expand
  36. Jun 14, 2013
    I don't know why this movie is getting such mixed critic reviews. It was amazing. Definitely the best Superman movie. It takes itself seriously. The action was awesome and the emotion the movie conveys is beautifully done. Crowe does a great job as Jor-El and so does Henry Cavill as Superman. This movie really got me pumped up for a Justice League movie and sets up for a hopefully greatI don't know why this movie is getting such mixed critic reviews. It was amazing. Definitely the best Superman movie. It takes itself seriously. The action was awesome and the emotion the movie conveys is beautifully done. Crowe does a great job as Jor-El and so does Henry Cavill as Superman. This movie really got me pumped up for a Justice League movie and sets up for a hopefully great Superman saga. Expand
  37. Jun 14, 2013
    After watching this movie and finally watching Superman kick some ass, I have three words to describe how I feel: f*** the critics. This movie portrayed Superman as the full fledged badass he is in the comics(you know, the one that destroyed an entire solar system just by sneezing). This movie did the best job yet of showing the actual scale of Superman's strength, unlike the god awfulAfter watching this movie and finally watching Superman kick some ass, I have three words to describe how I feel: f*** the critics. This movie portrayed Superman as the full fledged badass he is in the comics(you know, the one that destroyed an entire solar system just by sneezing). This movie did the best job yet of showing the actual scale of Superman's strength, unlike the god awful Christopher Reeves Series and even worse, Returns. This movie deserves at LEAST a 9/10. Expand
  38. Jun 16, 2013
    It's a shame people are so eager to hate in today's society. This move was a great retelling of a classic hero. Period. Haters keep on hating. I think some critics would simply prefer all movies be reality based romantic dramas, sorry for your lack of imagination.
  39. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok here goes:

I loved this movie. This is the kind of Superman movie that has, for whatever reason, been absent from existence for far too long. You can get a Superman movie like this but you have to look in the DC Comics animated universe. You know, the ones that go straight to Blu-ray Disc. I can't believe it has taken 75 years for Superman to be seen on the big screen in this fashion. It has literally everything the giddy nerd in all of us wants to see from Superman. Intense action, glorious set-pieces, a plot that puts more than one hemisphere in danger and through it all an actor playing Superman who nails every moment he is on screen. I loved Superman Returns but this movie is such a big you to the emo baby mama of that movie. Gone are the days when Lois Lane is just a pretty face and villains exist to have a villain.

No. This is the one we've all been waiting for. It's finally here.

As an origin story, the plot is such a solid take on the sci-fi elements of the comics regarding Krypton that I had a grin on my face basically the entire first 20 minutes. I was hoping the helpful grey levitating droid was going to be named Brainiac but it had a different name. Oh well. Not a big deal.

The fact that Zod is given a heartbeat in this movie is one of the best decisions Goyer and Nolan made when writing this thing. There is a perfect logic behind everything Zod does and you see his point of view with each word from his mouth. He is trying to save the race of people he swore to protect from extinction. A noble cause that a society would expect from all their Generals.

The balance that is struck between Kal's dual heritages and morality is basically the theme of the entire film. Jor-El is all about destiny and being a leader for a lesser people, while Jonathan just wants to protect his child and preaches restraint above all else. The "first contact with an alien" aspect is touched upon but not as much as I thought it was going to be. I guess that's my fault for reading so many interviews with creators and producers.

All the actors nail it. Literally every one of them. I can't think of a weak spot as far as casting. Faora is ****ing BAD ASS. She kicks so much butt in this movie I'm creaming my pants right now remembering her scenes. Look for her to give you that wow factor as far as action scenes. The Kents serve their purpose with such grace, it makes me sad to say they were barely on screen. Jor-El on the other hand has a good 20-30 minutes of dialogue spread throughout the film. Add him to the bad-ass list, by the way. Scientists get combat training on Krypton, believe that. Michael ****ing Shannon. That is all. That SHOULD be all for anyone who doubts him. Amy Adams and Henry Cavill probably needed more screen time together to get a good chemistry going but this movie is not about them. This is an origin story, not the love story that I'm sure will be more fleshed out in a potential sequel.

Hans Zimmer's score isn't as memorable as Williams' but it's about ten times more powerful and visceral. Tonally, it goes perfectly with everything that is going on on screen.

It seems like the last third of the film being nonstop action and ultimately an entire city block of Metropolis being turned into ashes is being used as a scapegoat for critics. There more collateral damage in this movie than I've ever seen in a superhero movie. Some may find it off-putting for a Superman movie but I didn't find it jarring at all. You have to believe a city battle between Kryptonians is going to destroy a few buildings. It's either that or have a castrated final battle between Zod and Superman. No thanks. Give me MORE explosions and MORE destruction if the world is at stake.

One final thought on Henry Cavill as Superman. As an actor, playing the role of Superman should be relatively easy on paper, but when you get down to the nitty gritty, the character is relatively complex. He has to know what to do without knowing who he is. He has to know what to say without knowing how to feel. There is a boy scout stigma attached to the character that the script lets Superman break free of, but would have been utterly pointless with the wrong person at the helm. Henry Cavill is not only the right actor for the job, he's the right face and aura. The right voice tone, the right rhythm to his speech, even the way he looks at General Swanwick at the end of the movie after he downs a drone and tells the Army basically "I know you're spying on me, stop it". The look is one of quiet dignity and utter confidence in what he's saying while still conveying the strength and leadership only Superman can. This is the leader of the Justice League. Routh, for all his similarity to Reeve could NEVER lead a League of superheroes.

After seeing the film, the only thing I could think was "I can't ****ing WAIT for MOS 2 and Justice League." That's a feeling most Superman fans have been waiting for for a long time.
  40. Jun 14, 2013
    MoS got a long round of applause after it was finished in the theater I was at and it deserved it! This reboot gave us everything we wanted and delivered on nearly every level and in the very few areas where it didn't, I'm sure will be corrected in the 2nd installment.
  41. Jun 14, 2013
    Don't know how or why so many mixed reviews by critics I guess they were expecting the campy, cheesy 70's Superman? great updated story of the Man of Steel, he's young just embracing who he is and so he makes mistakes, makes some bad choices that a seasoned Superman probably doesnt make, but that to me doesnt take away from the movie it add's layers to him, I thought they had some greatDon't know how or why so many mixed reviews by critics I guess they were expecting the campy, cheesy 70's Superman? great updated story of the Man of Steel, he's young just embracing who he is and so he makes mistakes, makes some bad choices that a seasoned Superman probably doesnt make, but that to me doesnt take away from the movie it add's layers to him, I thought they had some great emotional scenes, and great action as well, I really only had one gripe but I understand it. But loved this movie right up there with The Dark Knight and Iron man 1! go see it! Expand
  42. Jun 14, 2013
    Just came back from the movie! Just one word Amazing. Watched it in IMAX 3D it's not just the end that has action scenes. From start to end it's a bang for the Buck. It has a great story, some moments even bring tears into your eye and as for the Action is concerned it was EPIC. It was amazing to see superman in the air flying and fighting especially in IMAX 3D. Go for it. I would rate itJust came back from the movie! Just one word Amazing. Watched it in IMAX 3D it's not just the end that has action scenes. From start to end it's a bang for the Buck. It has a great story, some moments even bring tears into your eye and as for the Action is concerned it was EPIC. It was amazing to see superman in the air flying and fighting especially in IMAX 3D. Go for it. I would rate it 10/10. Expand
  43. Jun 14, 2013
    Man Of Steel totally blew my mind. Everything i expected and a lot more. Finally, Superman in action like we always prayed to see materialize on the big screen. The wait was worth every bit. The King-Daddy of Superheroes is in the house!
  44. Jun 14, 2013
    MARVELOUS OUTSTANDING
    Brilliant movie overall just don't expect Nolan's wit. The movie is just made better by the great music by Hans Zimmer
    Lucky to watch it first day n first show
    Go watch it now
  45. Jun 14, 2013
    The movie is simply AMAZING, I will never understand why critics are treating it so brutally. Since the very moment the movie begins you are caught by the depth of the characters, the way the story is told, the story itself; the acting is superb and every single actor adds something special to their portrayals. For the first time after Christopher Reeves we have a lovable and believableThe movie is simply AMAZING, I will never understand why critics are treating it so brutally. Since the very moment the movie begins you are caught by the depth of the characters, the way the story is told, the story itself; the acting is superb and every single actor adds something special to their portrayals. For the first time after Christopher Reeves we have a lovable and believable Clark Kent/Superman. The action scenes in this movie are something you have never seen before in any other superhero movie. And for the first time in 75 years the infamous question of why Lois Lane does not realise that Superman is Clark Kent wearing glasses IS SOLVED: Lois Lane is not "stupid" anymore!!

Again, do not pay attention to the critics. I really do not know if it is about trying to badmouth of every Zack Snyder project or just haters gonna hate.
  46. Jun 14, 2013
    I'll start by saying i don't know what's wrong with the critics, they obviously don't know what a good superhero movie is, just look at the difference between critic scores and user scores... user scores got it right, i loved this movie from start to finish, i'm happy they took some risks with the story and did things differently so it's not like another reboot where u know everything, itI'll start by saying i don't know what's wrong with the critics, they obviously don't know what a good superhero movie is, just look at the difference between critic scores and user scores... user scores got it right, i loved this movie from start to finish, i'm happy they took some risks with the story and did things differently so it's not like another reboot where u know everything, it was done in a fresh way where even if u know the superman story from front to back u could still feel this was a fresh unfamiliar take on the story, as a big superman fan i've been waiting over thirty years to see superman punch someone in a movie, the action was second to none... if ur a superman fan u owe it to yourself to see this marvel. Expand
  47. Jun 14, 2013
    Loved Man of Steel this movie way better than Superman Returns. Most Critic are wraped up in a 1978 version of superman over 35 years age. Nevertheless, this is this generation Superman. Most Critic are over 45 years old and don't get it. The overall movie is better than any Iron Man moovie or the Averger. I not giving any thing away but, its a must see on the big screen don't wait forLoved Man of Steel this movie way better than Superman Returns. Most Critic are wraped up in a 1978 version of superman over 35 years age. Nevertheless, this is this generation Superman. Most Critic are over 45 years old and don't get it. The overall movie is better than any Iron Man moovie or the Averger. I not giving any thing away but, its a must see on the big screen don't wait for Red Box for this one! Expand
  48. Jun 15, 2013
    Freaking Amazing! Proper superhero fighting scene, haven't had this much fun watching people beat each other up since Dragon Ball Z. The story was intriguing and for the first time ever, they showed Krypton and it's people. The Action in this movie deserves a 15/10.
  49. Jun 14, 2013
    Top 5 superhero movie of all time. I really dont understand why every critic is being this harsh. Its like they are scrutinizing the movie more than usual just cause Snyder has a part it in it. I actually really enjoyed the movie.
  50. Jun 14, 2013
    Love this movie, it's perfect it's definitly the best way to made a cinecomic, simply amazing, made me forget the orrible Iron Trashman 3, You'll believe a man can fly.
  51. oDi
    Jun 14, 2013
    As a fan of action hero movies in general having seen and enjoyed all of the latest superhero films from DC and Marvel (Dark Knight Thor, The Avengers) the thing that i have to say about Man of Steel is that it is the best action superhero movie to date It is the perfect origin story just like Batman Begins It has great acting especially Henry Cavill who is portraying aAs a fan of action hero movies in general having seen and enjoyed all of the latest superhero films from DC and Marvel (Dark Knight Thor, The Avengers) the thing that i have to say about Man of Steel is that it is the best action superhero movie to date It is the perfect origin story just like Batman Begins It has great acting especially Henry Cavill who is portraying a perfectly troubled Superman. The action sequences are the best action sequences to date from any action movie i have ever seen There is an ultimately chilling ending and yes in the theater i saw it the people applauded in the end something i have never seen before For me it shows the way all action hero movies should be done I am tired of comic book movies adaptations that with all this humor become comedies in the end Superheroes often suffer in the comic books and this gives them the characterization of drama not comedies Most of the times i read critic reviews and many times i agreed with them But not in this one Its the first time i have serious doubts in the integrity of the reviewing system (critics) If we compare this movie with the Avengers for example its definitely a more serious ,more action packed, more intense movie. I dont say the Avengers is not a good superhero movie It is But this is even better I would recommend to anyone to see this movie Its everything that you would expect from a summer blockbuster and even more. Expand
  52. Jun 14, 2013
    This is the Superman movie both Superman fans and comic books fans have been waiting for. Without going into plot details everything from human (and alien) drama, romance, action and hope are presented in this film. Henry Cavill is Superman. From Henry all the way down the actors chosen were perfect. This is a visually stunning and emotional movie. From the first scene to the last youThis is the Superman movie both Superman fans and comic books fans have been waiting for. Without going into plot details everything from human (and alien) drama, romance, action and hope are presented in this film. Henry Cavill is Superman. From Henry all the way down the actors chosen were perfect. This is a visually stunning and emotional movie. From the first scene to the last you will believe a man can stand for hope and find his way as we all try and do in this world. Go see Man of Steel. Expand
  53. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel is the perfect Superhero film. Do you come to watch a (SUPERHERO FILM) for Romance or drama? No, you come to see it for action and seeing your favorite Superhero fight super villains. Man of steel gives you just that and does it in epic fashion. It's not to say this movie doesn't have drama or a little bit of romance because it does, It just doesn't dwell on it.

The movie

The movie gives you a little bit of everything, it shows you krypton, which we have never seen before. Don't listen to all the people that talk bad about it, mostly its critics. Its the best Superhero film I have seen as well as the best Superman anything that has ever been created. Superman has always had it hard when it comes to media other than comics, like video games and movies. Do yourself a favor and go see this movie, you won't regret it.
  54. Jun 14, 2013
    This is the best movie I have ever seen. Of course there are some elements that could be perfected, such as the performance of the main actor which in the end, you realize they didn't tell you so much about him and the way he reacts to things.
    Besides that, the movie is just awesome, super fast paced, an incredible story. I just want to say that: justice has been done to the most awesome superhero of all. You get to watch him in all his glory, there are no doubts about his strength and capabilities.
    The best movie (superhero movie, at least) that I have EVER seen.
  55. Jun 15, 2013
    Very skeptical..just like I was with Batman Begins...
    Finally Superman done right! this one has hit the mark dead on! I was so sick of the cheesy, lovesick movies of the past. This is a great representation of the comic book Superman, well done!
  56. Jun 20, 2013
    How wrong can the critics be, seriously? What did they actually watch!?

I expected Man of Steel to be akin to the slew of superhero movie remakes and fall into the Green Lantern trap of dull sci-fi escapism, especially when I read a few plot overviews ahead of seeing it. Instead, it hit every note perfectly a spectacular re-imagining of the Superman franchise, providing back story,
    How wrong can the critics be, seriously? What did they actually watch!?

Instead, it hit every note perfectly a spectacular re-imagining of the Superman franchise, providing back story, vulnerability and presence to the character. Amy Adams is well cast as Lois Lane, whist Lawrence Fishburne provides a good, surprisingly level-headed Perry White, a stark contrast to the 80s movie offering.

All in all, really entertaining, does exactly what it meant to do and sets up the franchise for exciting times ahead. For this one, the Metacritic users are definitely right, the critics need to reassess.
  57. Jun 14, 2013
    There are little things that bothered me but not enough to complain about this movie was amazing. The story line was great the characters were spot on henry cavill is a perfect superman. The action scenes were great. The visuals were by far one of the best I've seen in a while.
  58. Jun 16, 2013
    The fans have spoken. This is how to make a superman movie. This is how u showcase his superpowers, his awesome strength and abilities. By giving u scenes you havent seen in any superhero movie yet. By making you pick up your jaw from the floor by the movies end. Maybe character isnt really supermans strong point unlike batman but it never really was even in the comics. Superman is allThe fans have spoken. This is how to make a superman movie. This is how u showcase his superpowers, his awesome strength and abilities. By giving u scenes you havent seen in any superhero movie yet. By making you pick up your jaw from the floor by the movies end. Maybe character isnt really supermans strong point unlike batman but it never really was even in the comics. Superman is all about taking things to a whole superhuman level and this film delivers in spades. Expand
  59. Jun 14, 2013
    I always have respect for the critics on this sight. But they must have been smoking something to only give this movie a 55. I saw the movie in 3D at the Midnight showing. IT IS AMAZING!!! The story line. The graphics. The special effects. Best movie I have seen this year.
  60. Jun 17, 2013
    Man Of Steel is emotionally griping, the action scenes are brutal and overall a powerful story, this is not the next dark knight but this film makes it look like marvel is its
  61. Jun 14, 2013
    You'll believe a man can fly: this is the greatest cinecomic I've ever seen. Perfect in every aspect. Cavill is the real heir to the mighty Christopher Reeve.
  62. Jun 14, 2013
    I don't know how the critics could compare this movie to the likes of Michael bay. Zack Snyder did a splendid job of portraying superman as realistic as possible, something which the previous movie lacked. The emotional depth of the man behind the cape is presented in such a way, that the audience can connect with the hero and actually relate with him. The actors were perfect, with HenryI don't know how the critics could compare this movie to the likes of Michael bay. Zack Snyder did a splendid job of portraying superman as realistic as possible, something which the previous movie lacked. The emotional depth of the man behind the cape is presented in such a way, that the audience can connect with the hero and actually relate with him. The actors were perfect, with Henry Cavill shining in the superman outfit. The script was perfect, penned by goyer and nolan, presenting the story of superman's origins and his difficulties, and at the same time having enough feel of 'realism' to it just like the dark knight trilogy. The action sequences were just plain awesome, providing enough special effects to compare with the avengers. This movie was just what the once-popular hero needed, an emotional origin story with some butt-kicking action. Man of Steel provides everything one hoped for, it delivers just everything one expected in the movie. Hopefully, Superman should collect enough revenue for at least a trilogy. Expand
  63. Jun 16, 2013
    I was quite sceptical because of the previous Superman movies, which were mostly flops. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the plot, the intense action, and the character development in the movie. The Man of Steel did feel like he had that 'superhuman' factor, and the way little snippets of his past are revealed to us made him feel much more complicated, and we are able to empathizeI was quite sceptical because of the previous Superman movies, which were mostly flops. However, I was pleasantly surprised with the plot, the intense action, and the character development in the movie. The Man of Steel did feel like he had that 'superhuman' factor, and the way little snippets of his past are revealed to us made him feel much more complicated, and we are able to empathize with him. I also liked how General Zod came across almost as half a good person, because his motivations behind his actions were understandable, and I found myself wondering if I would have done the same as he did if my planet was in trouble. I'm talking about Earth, that is. As for the special effects, they were spectacular and simply struck something in you. I particularly loved the portrayal of the love between Clark and his foster father. The scenes weren't very cheesy but managed to pull off a sense of deep love between the two. Overall, everything came together to create one hell of a masterpiece. I agree with the Captain too. Henry was a huge chunk of eye-candy. But of course, that's only a tiny part of what's spurring me on to catch another bite of that wholesome goodness. Expand
  64. Jun 14, 2013
    Don't listen to the critics, from a fan of the comics and a fan of film, Man of Steel delivers. Led by a solid cast, with exceptional performances from Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Michael Shannon as Zod, and Henry Cavil as Superman himself they propel the film forwards. Everyone gets their fair share of time, I did want to see more of Kevin Costner that said. After the spectacular opening onDon't listen to the critics, from a fan of the comics and a fan of film, Man of Steel delivers. Led by a solid cast, with exceptional performances from Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Michael Shannon as Zod, and Henry Cavil as Superman himself they propel the film forwards. Everyone gets their fair share of time, I did want to see more of Kevin Costner that said. After the spectacular opening on Krypton, the film loses steam and I questioned it's pacing, but was quickly relived by how the story is told is the often non-linear style used by Nolan and Goyer Zach Snyder's direction fits the film perfectly, there's a bit of lens flair saturation but every sequence is filmed beautifully. And the action, just incredible, the flying is violent, you feel the environment shift. You get to enjoy the film more and more as it progresses, i wish they'd taken more time to delve further into the story but clocking in at around 2 and 1/2 hours, there's a solid amount of content and a good story. Though there are some pacing issues and more can be desired, Man of Steel is a superb movie that I can't wait to see again. Expand
  65. Jun 14, 2013
    Don't listen to the critics. I'm not sure if it's an elitist agenda against Snyder as a film maker or just nostalgic cinema fans who can't let go of the "charming boy scout" that set precedent over 20 years ago in Donner's camp-filled classic... but whatever the reason- Man of Steel is undeserving of the lackluster critical response it's receiving.
    Man of Steel IS the Superman movie we've
    Man of Steel IS the Superman movie we've been waiting for. And it really is epic.
    No, this isn't your parent's Superman.. This is not golden or silver age Superman- THIS is for every kid that watched Bruce Tim's "Adventures of Superman" and "Justice League" or the DC animated films like "Doomsday" or "Crisis on two earths" and said "why can't we see THIS Superman live action?!" This is for anyone who watched Matrix and said "now... why can't we have a Superman that does this?" (no.. i'm not saying it's like the matrix- at all)
    Now, i'm not a crier- especially at movies... but, this one had me a FEW times. There's a strong emotional thread that runs through the picture. As you follow this character who can't quite find his place, doesn't quite fit in- yet has a heart for people... a true good Samaritan, who even in the face of mockers risks his own life (to his knowledge) to save them... protect them.. you empathize with him.
    The critics have it wrong- Clark's not dour in this movie, he's humble. He's patient and compassionate. It's not apathy he's displaying... it's a disciplined reserve. He's a man who's learned that his power and how he chooses to use it will define who he will become. The truth is, we're seeing Clark WHILE he's still discovering himself- still finding out what the consequences are when he uses his abilities and also when he chooses not to use his abilities.
    This is someone who's never been able to have a real relationship with anyone.(outside of his mom and dad) and throughout the course of the movie he learns to trust people- exemplified in one person that sees who he truly is, and is not only not afraid, but honors that trust. The small moments are emotional and tender (and despite what you may have read- sometimes humorous. The audience in my theater laughed at least 2 or 3 times, out loud), the big ones are exhilarating and bombastic. The battles are TRULY epic- with much at stake... This is OUR Superman...
    Snyder has successfully shaken the campy "gee whiz" and "Crime doesn't pay, evil doer" caricature and given us the Superman we grew up hoping that someday... someday someone would be able to deliver and they did- and it's here- Man of Steel. P.S. the entire audience loved the film, complete with applause at the end.
  66. Jun 14, 2013
    Awesome beautiful film, I almost cried throughout it, interesting thought provoking original script, my only criticism is there was too much juvenile cgi action towards the end. this is the fault of the studios trying to appeal to wider younger audiences instead of niche adult audiences. exactly the same problem as inception and batman.
  67. Jun 14, 2013
    Couldn't be better, this is what we pay for, an awesome sci fi epic superhero movie, blowing everything before it and creating great expectations for what is to come next, Marvel, watch out! not even all your movies together can match this level of destruction, including the (not so awesome anymore) Avengers!
  68. Jun 14, 2013
    MOVIE OF THE YEAR! Critics are HIGH, this was the best movie I've seen all year. Aside from the gripping story, fantastic score and acting, we also have some of the most EPIC DBZ-Style Fight Sequences ever put to film. And I'm really happy with the way Superman took out Zod. (No one will ever call Superman Boring or a wimp after that final fight scene)

:D Loved this Movie, can't wait

:D Loved this Movie, can't wait for the sequel! 10/10
  69. Jun 14, 2013
    After reading the critics reviews i had my doubts, but after having viewed the movie for myself i can honestly say that i believe the critics are just spiting snyder. There is no way this movie is average, a fantastically produced movie, acted superbly on most accounts, i loved it. This is on youll just have to ignore the critics on guys, trust me. Watch the user reviews and see forAfter reading the critics reviews i had my doubts, but after having viewed the movie for myself i can honestly say that i believe the critics are just spiting snyder. There is no way this movie is average, a fantastically produced movie, acted superbly on most accounts, i loved it. This is on youll just have to ignore the critics on guys, trust me. Watch the user reviews and see for yourself how good it is. Fantastic. Made up for superman returns in every way. Its fallen victim to the hobbit treatment. Fantastic movie but only the general public can see why. Just go see it. Expand
  70. Jun 14, 2013
    I'm just going to repeat what my other fellow film fans said: don't listen to the critics. I am not sure why they gave this film a low score. Two words: move on. I love the Donner version as much as they do. Heck..I might have watched it at least a hundred times..but going back to that particular tone will not work on today's audiences. What you have here is a deconstruction of theI'm just going to repeat what my other fellow film fans said: don't listen to the critics. I am not sure why they gave this film a low score. Two words: move on. I love the Donner version as much as they do. Heck..I might have watched it at least a hundred times..but going back to that particular tone will not work on today's audiences. What you have here is a deconstruction of the Superman's character for the 21st century: an alien immigrant who is a social outcast, who must choose between his adopted world and his true 'race'. It has brilliant supporting casts, notably Costner's amazing performance as Jonathan Kent. Cavill also delivers as a more 'grounded' Superman. The action sequences are reminiscent of 'Japanese Anime', hence the critics 'resistance' to that particular palate: supersonic fights, buildings demolished to smithereens. It made recent set pieces looked anemic in comparison. I watched it with a little boy beside me with his mom. He had that same look that I used to have when I watched the original Superman many years ago: a look of awe and wonder and a belief that a man can really fly. Welcome back Superman..... Expand
  71. Jun 14, 2013
    It was an awesome movie, with alot of action and beutiful special effects. The only thing i don't like much is the performance of the main actor, doesn't show alot of emotion. Can't wait to see the sequel and Justice Leage!
  72. Jun 14, 2013
    MOVIE OF THE YEAR and the best comic book movie of ALL TIME !!!

Perfect in every aspect.

Cavill is Superman.

Can't wait to see the sequel and Justice Leage !

73. Jun 14, 2013
    The critics truly got this one wrong. Possibly a false sense of righteousness that critics must despise something good? I will never understand...

On to the movie: A true spectacle to behold. Brilliant story. Breathless action. Unrelenting, superb, awe-inspiring, the list goes on... Rivals The Dark Knight. One of the greatest superhero movies ever made. Everyone and their

On to the movie:
    A true spectacle to behold. Brilliant story. Breathless action.
    Unrelenting, superb, awe-inspiring, the list goes on...
    Rivals The Dark Knight. One of the greatest superhero movies ever made.
    Everyone and their grandmother should watch this film.
    You'll be missing out if you do not.
  74. Jun 16, 2013
    Poorly paced, poorly directed mess of a film. Snyder was a bad choice for this. The CGI battle scenes were gratuitous and unnecessarily long, the Clark/Lois Lane romance felt forced and rushed, and Snyder's use of the shaky-cam was distracting and silly. If you want to watch Superman fly around and punch people into buildings without any care or consequence to anyone, you're in for aPoorly paced, poorly directed mess of a film. Snyder was a bad choice for this. The CGI battle scenes were gratuitous and unnecessarily long, the Clark/Lois Lane romance felt forced and rushed, and Snyder's use of the shaky-cam was distracting and silly. If you want to watch Superman fly around and punch people into buildings without any care or consequence to anyone, you're in for a treat. Otherwise, wait till DVD/Blu Ray. Oh, and please see it in 2D, 3D is not worth the extra cost for this. Expand
  75. Jun 15, 2013
    (Has minor spoilers:) Zero emotion, no humor, no soul, you care about absolutely no one in this film except Clark as a boy that kid damn near carried the film. Cavill is totally unconvincing. Its a combo of maudlin flashbacks and boring effects sequences. After you've seen 4 or 5 skyscrapers topple over (LOL, F science) you just don't care anymore. Every FX gimmick is stolen directly(Has minor spoilers:) Zero emotion, no humor, no soul, you care about absolutely no one in this film except Clark as a boy that kid damn near carried the film. Cavill is totally unconvincing. Its a combo of maudlin flashbacks and boring effects sequences. After you've seen 4 or 5 skyscrapers topple over (LOL, F science) you just don't care anymore. Every FX gimmick is stolen directly from an earlier film or video game. The Kryptonians apparently contracted a Reaver from Mass Effect, because they have one. Jor-El the great scientist is somehow also a badass who can take on a platoon of soldiers singlehanded. The Kryptonians haven't discovered color TV yet they use low-res liquid metal for their communications.The horrible "action news" cinematography has no place in a superhero film...or ANY film, honestly. While there were a few clever effects shots, mostly it was Michael Bay levels of CG for 3D's sake here. So many things go unexplained that it feels like Dark Knight Rises all over again. When we DO get cause-and-effect, the story contradicts itself so many times that its obvious Snyder and Nolan had no idea which version they wanted to go with. I heard so many "huhs??" from the audience at each new realtime reconning that it I couldn't help laughing at it after a while. The mood at credit role was somber. The loyalists in their capes walked out staring at the floor wondering the same as myself if we'll ever get another good DC superhero film, let alone a good Superman one. Oh, and did I mention that there was a MAKING OF mini-documentary that ran right before the movie started?? I kid you not. At my Regal Cinema they also ran the Pacific Rim trailer *twice*. It was a painful experience that gave me a greater appreciation of Smallville. Bottom line: everything this film contains you've seen before and done better. I truly hope this movie starts a backlash against gratuitous CG. Mark Hamill is right: its a big reason that Hollywood refuses to do anything original. Expand
  76. Jun 15, 2013
    The final battle is Too long and the result is the leveling of major portions of Metropolis. The Superman I remember would have done anything to minimize the destruction (including surrender). I’m weary of these bloodless post 9/11 comic book city destruction scenes and they really wrecked the movie for me. Film makers please watch a few minutes of the post Boston Marathon coverage andThe final battle is Too long and the result is the leveling of major portions of Metropolis. The Superman I remember would have done anything to minimize the destruction (including surrender). I’m weary of these bloodless post 9/11 comic book city destruction scenes and they really wrecked the movie for me. Film makers please watch a few minutes of the post Boston Marathon coverage and stop trivializing this kind of violence. If the destruction depicted in this film were “real” we’d be talking casualties in the tens of thousands. Expand
  77. Jun 15, 2013
    Man of Steel is much more of a special effects fiasco than it is a Superman movie.

Such liberties are taken with the characters, his background, his world and the people in it that this movie is almost indistinguishable from the Superman of comics and Reeves/Reeves/Roth. The movie itself is much more of an action movie with explosions and collateral damage, so much so that it is more

The movie itself is much more of an action movie with explosions and collateral damage, so much so that it is more similar to a Michael Bay movie than something with an interesting or good story.

If I had never heard of Superman before, and they didn't call this Superman, I would say it's not for me. Since it IS a Superman movie, it falls even shorter.
  78. Jun 15, 2013
    I really wanted to enjoy this film. Truly. I even wrestled with the score of 0. Really 0 You give it nothing So I tried to think of something in the film I could give it a point for. Surely the special effects Well, no. Because the special effects are exactly what you've seen before in every other summer blockbuster. Nice, colourful, but without any heft, without any hinge intoI really wanted to enjoy this film. Truly. I even wrestled with the score of 0. Really 0 You give it nothing So I tried to think of something in the film I could give it a point for. Surely the special effects Well, no. Because the special effects are exactly what you've seen before in every other summer blockbuster. Nice, colourful, but without any heft, without any hinge into reality. A HD cartoon. Well then, story. Nope. No points for story. Because frankly, there is NO story telling here. You can't put people in peril and expect us to care if you haven't got us invested in them. Peril Yes. Care No. Ok, the acting. God, so wanted to give it 1 for Russell, but frankly, he's wasted here.

I knew within 5 minutes it was going to be bad. Leaden direction, no through line, no pacing, no fluidity. Exactly like A.N.Other big budget SFX heavy film. A series of "Whoa!" moments without any reason to go whoa. A massive special effect and a blaring piece of sinister music does not drama make.

The main crime here is that you won't care about anyone in the film and it will, no matter how fast it goes, bore you.
  79. Jun 16, 2013
    Superman? More like superboy. An after spending the first 20 min establishing an irrelevant relationship with his father and nemesis, an early scene shows what this version is really made of. Our hero is confronted by an ignorant truck driver and humiliated. Superboy's solution is to walk away without saying a word. Very shortly we find out that he walked out and committed an obviouslySuperman? More like superboy. An after spending the first 20 min establishing an irrelevant relationship with his father and nemesis, an early scene shows what this version is really made of. Our hero is confronted by an ignorant truck driver and humiliated. Superboy's solution is to walk away without saying a word. Very shortly we find out that he walked out and committed an obviously adolescent act by destroying the truck of the driver. The rest of the movie is built around justifications for superman behaving like a boy while all the women and men in uniform treat him like the second coming of christ. At one point he is even juxtaposed with the image of jesus as if the messiah message was to subtle. Visually satisfying at some moments is the best i can say about this movie. Wait for netflix. Collapse
  80. Jun 15, 2013
    The positive reception from the users on this site just goes to show how easily entertained people are. This movie is completely souless. Every character feels like a cardboard cut out, which is unforgivable when you cast the likes of Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Laurence Fishburne, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, and Diane Lane. Man of Steel tries to be dark, and at times it is, but theThe positive reception from the users on this site just goes to show how easily entertained people are. This movie is completely souless. Every character feels like a cardboard cut out, which is unforgivable when you cast the likes of Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Laurence Fishburne, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, and Diane Lane. Man of Steel tries to be dark, and at times it is, but the movie is a little too corny to be taken seriously. It's basically a slightly better version of a Michael Bay film, and that is obviously not meant as a compliment. I can't remember the last time I was more dissapointed in a movie, but I suppose that's my own fault for getting excited for a Superman movie. Expand
  81. Jun 16, 2013
    Crappy screenplay overblown piece of junk. Highly disappointed. Could have been so much better. Superman looks like wonder women with short hair. A disaster to DC and anyone who was apart of this movie
  82. Jun 14, 2013
    It started off well enough in Krypton but then it stalled shorty after shifting to Earth and then completely went off the rails in the last hour The flashbacks kept dialing back to his struggles when I got it the first time. He's an adult when he is first shows on screen. He has been struggling since he was a kid. He went through 20+ years including all of his adult life without makingIt started off well enough in Krypton but then it stalled shorty after shifting to Earth and then completely went off the rails in the last hour The flashbacks kept dialing back to his struggles when I got it the first time. He's an adult when he is first shows on screen. He has been struggling since he was a kid. He went through 20+ years including all of his adult life without making much progress. At this point, Clarke is no longer confused, he has a learning disability. Parts of the dialogue were weak esp. where the military is shown to be caricatures incapable of telling friend from foe. The scene in Church was ridiculous. And Jor-El designs space craft but he couldn't think of disabling an outside key from overrding his. BUT Zod who, from birth was only programmed to defend Krypton and has presumably no designing talent outwitted him. I mean, the list goes om. I expect ridiculous from Trasformers but I expect much smarter from Superman.. The destructo-rama in the last act needed Michael Bay's help to direct traffic. No way this gets a passing mark. Expand
  83. Jun 14, 2013
    There is no story-telling!Last 45 minutes of time is only action.Overloaded with actions, and of course very less humanity! Zack has preferred the 'Transformers-Dark of the moon' style for his superman reboot!!The romance between Lois and Clark was something very special, but in this movie their relationship is a 007 romance.Spectacular but no any fun nor humor
  84. Jun 14, 2013
    "Man of Steel" is by far one of the most contrived movies I've ever seen. The pacing is awful, the characters are unrelatable (Lois goes so far as to be downright annoying), and the plot is one contrived scenario after another. The logic is wishy-washy at best, preferring to just ignore facts than to take the time to explain them, and Superman's motivations are never truly clear, which"Man of Steel" is by far one of the most contrived movies I've ever seen. The pacing is awful, the characters are unrelatable (Lois goes so far as to be downright annoying), and the plot is one contrived scenario after another. The logic is wishy-washy at best, preferring to just ignore facts than to take the time to explain them, and Superman's motivations are never truly clear, which makes the entire character feel fake. Beyond that, though, Superman's role in the plot is almost nonexistent: one could take him out of the movie and have the exact same plot with better pacing. Don't waste your money on this one: it's not worth it. Expand
  85. Jun 14, 2013
    Well, I will try to keep this short. I love super hero movies, love the D.C. universe in particular, and yes I have read the comics, seen previous movies and cartoons. This movie is by far the worse Superman movie and one of my top worse movies EVER! I did not mind the creative liberties that were taken with the story line, that is to be expected when someone adds their "spin" on anWell, I will try to keep this short. I love super hero movies, love the D.C. universe in particular, and yes I have read the comics, seen previous movies and cartoons. This movie is by far the worse Superman movie and one of my top worse movies EVER! I did not mind the creative liberties that were taken with the story line, that is to be expected when someone adds their "spin" on an established story.

The pacing was horrid! The tone was so monotone. The movie was going for the over the top serious feel. For me, it came off as corny and at times I found myself rolling my eyes at all of the dramatic screams. By the end of the movie I was thankful it was over. In short #disappointed

It's too bad, I really want a Justice League or A World's Finest Movie but if either were to be based on Man of Steel I would not hold high hopes of it being any good.
  86. Jul 2, 2013
    Severely underrated by the critics. This is by far the best action film I've seen in a long time. The acting was superb and the screenplay was excellent. The IMAX 3D version was spectacular. A critic called this soulless, and I couldn't disagree more. Man of Steel is an epic action movie with heart, soul, and depth.
  87. Jul 15, 2013
    This movie is hands down one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. It captures Superman perfectly, showing off just about all of his powers, and giving a very good retelling of his origin story. I think this movie is better than any of the Superman movies that came before it, because those movies were all about crazy fun, and no seriousness whatsoever. However, this movie isThis movie is hands down one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. It captures Superman perfectly, showing off just about all of his powers, and giving a very good retelling of his origin story. I think this movie is better than any of the Superman movies that came before it, because those movies were all about crazy fun, and no seriousness whatsoever. However, this movie is almost totally serious, and is more like a modern day superhero movie. The retelling of Superman's origin story is done flawlessly, and is relatively easy to follow. It was very nice seeing how Clark Kent turned from an outcast at school into the world's greatest superhero. It had a pretty cool villain too. The special effects of this movie are phenomenal, making the entire movie look great. All of the explosions and punches sounded very good, and the CGI is flawless. The movie really is a sight to behold and listen to. However, the best thing about this movie in my opinion is the soundtrack. Hans Zimmer did a fantastic job with this movie's score, and I think that it is the best soundtrack that he has ever composed. In case you are wondering why, well not only does it sound amazing but he achieved the impossible: making a soundtrack that could top John William's Superman soundtrack. Yes, I think that this movie's soundtrack does indeed top John William's soundtrack. The reasoning behind this is that despite John William's fantastic job with the original Superman score, it only seemed to capture Superman's heroic side, and not enough of his emotional side. Hans Zimmer manages to capture both sides with his incredible soundtrack, which in my opinion, makes his soundtrack better than John Williams' in this case. The movie is also very well written and acted. The writers wrote the lines perfectly for this movie, and the casting and acting were also done very well. Overall, I believe that this is a truly fantastic movie, and the critics are rating it far lower than they should. This movie has not only more than earned my vote for movie of the year, but it is also a perfect movie that brings back one of the world's most iconic characters in history. Expand
  88. Jul 3, 2013
    I found this film great, I think the acting was superb, the pacing of the film was good enough to keep you engaged all the time but at the same time learn allot about the characters and the action sequences were amazing. I don't think I have ever been to the cinema and enjoyed a film as much as this.
  89. Jul 14, 2013
    It was a great movie. It was greatly directed and the visules were stunning. I never thought any super hero movie would top the dark knight... and even if man of steel might not have to some people it sure came close
  90. Jul 6, 2013
    First off, do not believe what the critics are saying because this Superman movie is better than all the other versions combined. Because it is a Zack Snyder movie, I just knew it was going to be as visually appealing as some of his other stuff like "Watchmen" or "300" (and I was not let down). Now this "retelling" of the story is a little more sci-fi than what you would have read in theFirst off, do not believe what the critics are saying because this Superman movie is better than all the other versions combined. Because it is a Zack Snyder movie, I just knew it was going to be as visually appealing as some of his other stuff like "Watchmen" or "300" (and I was not let down). Now this "retelling" of the story is a little more sci-fi than what you would have read in the comics, but that is okay because this is 2013 (not 1933). I am tempted to write more but have decided that what I have already written should be sufficient. Enjoy! See it on the big screen! Expand
  91. Jan 30, 2014
    If this is what SUPER man has become then we might as well pack it up and wait to die. Maybe the next species can do a better job of existing. On the other hand the movie does have some really neato CGI , very emotional music attached to forced drama, and a lot of other crap that fools the dumb popcorn eating masses into thinking it is good.
  92. Jan 30, 2014
    In the year's biggest disappointment Man Of Steel manages to give us the trailers, hype and intimate story we like being from Chris Nolan. However everything you saw in the trailers have been mashed into a superhero epic that has pacing problems, narrative problems and it's an unfortunate mess. There are a few things to like here, but it's in the final hour of excrutiating overlong actionIn the year's biggest disappointment Man Of Steel manages to give us the trailers, hype and intimate story we like being from Chris Nolan. However everything you saw in the trailers have been mashed into a superhero epic that has pacing problems, narrative problems and it's an unfortunate mess. There are a few things to like here, but it's in the final hour of excrutiating overlong action that is the regurditation of a draining party. Expand
  93. Dec 16, 2013
    It''s pretty funny that this is supposed to be the new grittier, hard edged Superman. This is just more Hollywood hokum it doesn't even rise to the level of psychobabble. We hear ad naseum that "you are the chosen one" and "I must choose between my people and my adopted people." What evs supiedupe...this pap is unbelievably shallow. The writers didn't even try.
    He wears a giant S on his
    He wears a giant S on his CGI unitard that we learn means "Hope" is that hope as in hopey-changy or is that just a team-building T-shirt? Come on, leave some mystery, like the S has some secret Kyptony meaning.
    This is supposed to be the now generations' movie yet when people in the street watch the 911 destruction of their city, they stand there with their mouths catch-fly open and don't even pull out a cell phone for a selfie!
    That's just one of the minor gaping black-hole plotlines. The biggest is that this can't be an origin story when Supie hasn't yet earned street cred now he's caused Earth a whole pantload of problems and yet no one knows who he is! He would def be a parriah and run out of town on a rail.
    Other ridiculous holes include Kevin Costner standing in a tornado without a hair out of place and Amy Adams falling though the atmosphere in a crapstorm of debris and not even a mote of dust on her cheek.
    The LL character is a major disappointment, no edge at all, in the end just another helpless fem.
    The boring CGI video game scenes held no drama, who cared at least the cartoon versions of this character inspired one to root for Supie. I guess 12 year-old boys will find this movie immensely satisfying...not that there's everything wrong with that.
  94. Jun 23, 2014
    I couldn't finish it. The effects are great and Shannon and Crowe were definitely into it, but the storytelling is awful. The movie is clearly rushing towards its precious action sequences that it ends up undermining the entire movie. The pacing is terrible, time skips nonsensical, many plot points don't make sense or serve the plot in any way, character development is awful, and the movieI couldn't finish it. The effects are great and Shannon and Crowe were definitely into it, but the storytelling is awful. The movie is clearly rushing towards its precious action sequences that it ends up undermining the entire movie. The pacing is terrible, time skips nonsensical, many plot points don't make sense or serve the plot in any way, character development is awful, and the movie has a bad habit of telling rather than showing. Even during some of the admittedly astonishing part of the movie, I was unmoved and was never awestruck. This movie apes at The Avengers or the Nolan Batman movies and fails at both. It never establishes a coherent tone, and all its action sequences are undermined by poor pacing and storytelling. One of the worst movies I've seen in a while. Expand
  95. Jan 3, 2014
    Disappointing but a good movie overall. Zack Snyder make the same mistake which he made in 300, the same thing over and over again in a fight scene. But that's at the end so it's alright. Overall Man of Steel is a good film even if it did not live up to my expectations.
  96. Apr 21, 2014
    A truly exciting reboot to an iconic pre-established icon. Henry Cavil is a great Superman, Michael Shannon is a stoic yet entertaining zod, and the Snyder provides us with a adrenaline fueled look of a Kryptonians powers. Even though there may be one too many many action scenes, Amy Adams is a flat Lois Lane, and the lack of reaction from Superman witnessing 1000's being killed is notA truly exciting reboot to an iconic pre-established icon. Henry Cavil is a great Superman, Michael Shannon is a stoic yet entertaining zod, and the Snyder provides us with a adrenaline fueled look of a Kryptonians powers. Even though there may be one too many many action scenes, Amy Adams is a flat Lois Lane, and the lack of reaction from Superman witnessing 1000's being killed is not very 'Man of Steel'. It was still a very enjoyable popcorn flick. Expand
  97. Jul 4, 2014
    Instead of trying to make this "The Dark Knight 2.0" with the depressingly dark tone and overwhelming focus on the back-stories, Zack Snyder & The Company should have tried a different approach - a more fun and relaxed one would have been welcome.
  98. Aug 5, 2013
    I didn't like the movie, which is a real shame since I really love Superman. The story told has a nice twist to it but the potential was left dead on the floor. Henry Cavill was a really bad casting choice he's just not good at this part (and come on close shots of him with his chest hair flowing out of his suit?).

Superman Returns was a much better film that made me feel really

Superman Returns was a much better film that made me feel really excited about Superman and the people he protects. The new film is just a disappointment. Watch this at home.
  99. Nov 19, 2013
    Yeah, this was not very good at all, and a borderline Turd. I payed $5.99 to watch it, and I'm still not able to look in the mirror. Too many cheeseball lines, that couldn't be saved by good actors. In the middle of a catastrophic battle with aliens on a main street, was it necessary for Superman to say "Stay inside, it's not safe"?. No, it wasn't. Also, Dad...if you ever read this review,Yeah, this was not very good at all, and a borderline Turd. I payed $5.99 to watch it, and I'm still not able to look in the mirror. Too many cheeseball lines, that couldn't be saved by good actors. In the middle of a catastrophic battle with aliens on a main street, was it necessary for Superman to say "Stay inside, it's not safe"?. No, it wasn't. Also, Dad...if you ever read this review, I want you to know that you can count on me to save you from dying in a tornado I don't care if they find out I'm really fast. Expand
  100. Jul 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A refreshing new take on the Man of Steel.

What I liked about this interpretation of Superman is their original take on Krypton and their Kryptonian technology and history. I like the idea of the genetically engineered Kryptonian society. The eugenics explains why Zod and his army are so "evil" and how they are able to adapt to the new environment so easily. Zod and Faora simply kicks ass, and the action sequences are amazing. (Although I think it's a bit too much)

This is not exactly a traditional Superman story that we are all used to, so a lot of people might not enjoy it as a 'Superman' movie.
    The problem with Superman is that he is so powerful that he becomes unrelatable. What this film did was, they focus on the fact that Kal-El is an alien trying to fit in. By doing so, they made him seem human. He's not an outsider like Zod and his army; he's a guy who grew up in Kansas, who just happens to have these abilities, and has to deal with it.

They also got rid of a lot of the Superman mythos that can be quite ridiculous and unrealistic.
    (such as Kryptonite, the red underwear, etc.)
    What I really enjoy about this movie is how they explain everything in a scientific manner. (Kal-El's abilities, Zod adaptability to his new abilities, Zod's motivations, etc.) This really grounds the story (as science-fiction instead of fantasy), and it allows me to accept the story easier. Also, they made the Kryptonians seem like a real civilisation with their own history, culture, and technology. I like how much attention they have on developing their culture. (such as the chest symbols of the different houses)
    The way they approach the story just makes them seem realistic and believable.

What I didn't like about the movie is the pacing; it's just too fast. There's too much action/information, and not enough character development. Some of the fight scene just seem unnecessary and feels like information/sensory overload.
    I felt that the relationship between Lois and Clark is going too fast, and they didn't have much chemistry together. They shared a kiss that seemed unnecessary/premature. The relationship is just not well developed. I mean, sure, they had many scenes together, and they seem to get along well; however, they didn't seem like lovers, just good friends.

There's also some ridiculous dialogues (i.e. "evolution always wins") and some religious undertones/allusions to Superman being Christ. It doesn't really bother me all that much, but they shouldn't do it too much.

I liked the new theme, it's not like John William's iconic march, but it's still a good theme for Superman.

In conclusion, it has it's strengths and it's flaws; there's room for improvement and can be quite disappointing (might not reach expectations), but it's still pretty good.
    Keep in mind that this is just the first movie in a new universe of movies; there is just too many things to set up.

I'm looking forward to the next installment in the series. (Even more so now that it's announced that it's going to be Batman vs. Superman)

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.