Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: June 14, 2013
Generally favorable reviews based on 3452 Ratings
2,478
Watch Now
htimreimerSep 4, 2013
this movie is a pretentious ego trip for david goyer, christopher nolan and zack snyder.
it has little to no character development or structure, it's all symbolism and talk with vary little substance and the product placement was just sad
Qgal5kapOct 5, 2013
Truly dreadful. I was amazed at how bad it was. I had medium to high expectations when I decided to finally watch it, and maaan was I disappointed. Truth be told, I fell asleep during the movie, and had to watch the rest of it the next day. ITruly dreadful. I was amazed at how bad it was. I had medium to high expectations when I decided to finally watch it, and maaan was I disappointed. Truth be told, I fell asleep during the movie, and had to watch the rest of it the next day. I am very sad that I did. It sucked! Expand
HazaRDReborNMay 1, 2015
Hells Yeah Zacky, you did the Kryptonian Justice!!!
This is by far the best Superman film to date.
Changes Zack did to Superman that were long overdue- 1) No more lame ass cheesy retarded boyscout commentary from the man from Krypton.
Hells Yeah Zacky, you did the Kryptonian Justice!!!
This is by far the best Superman film to date.

Changes Zack did to Superman that were long overdue-

2) No more distant cold character development. Kal El feels real. You don't see him fly, you believe he can fly, and you can finally relate to the character like never before.

3) No more half-assed boyscout action sequences. "I am sorry citizen, I will have to take that puny gun from you, and put it in the garbage, and fly you over to the police. You behavior is childish and I won't have it, the ciry wont have it... And don't forget to use the sub-way, it is the safest way to travel". Derp.

4) Got rid of that god awful excuse of a disguise (at least with Loise) which even a retard would see through much less a Pulitzer prize winner that has been saved by this man a dozen times.

5) No more the child becomes miraculously a super-hero crap. A reboot that finally explains the character and puts depth to him. May Zack live long and prosper to make every Superman film from here on out (that was from the wrong film wasn't it? Ah well, it fits in this case).

Things to love about this film.

Well, the action of-course.

The psychological and sentimental story underlining everything is so deep it blows any other single Superhero film I have seen to this day out of the water. Amazing. Never thought so much depth could be added to such a character.

Other elements the story touches on with regards to visitors from outer space, on hope, on so many concepts this film is simply hitting the mark on every single thing it does.

The threat of the film was real. It was the best introduction and the best way to reveal Superman to Metropolis. It also fit perfect with the intro on Krypton which was such an amazing scene a film could exist on that alone.

The end result is that it all makes sense. The villains make sense, and there is depth to them. They are not mindless jerks trying to do bad or steel some diamonds or what have you. The theme behind their own needs and goals (the villains) puts more depth to it all on a level that makes the steaks high even for the villains. It comes together so perfectly.

And the entire pace of the film, with gradual flashbacks, explains and gives us a wonderful look into Kal El's upbringing, explaining further the reasoning behind him trying to help people out.

He saves enough people in this film but not that much, as this is not the point to the film and it is all about him "revealing" himself to humanity.

The mistakes he is forced to go through and make make him even more relatable, and create enough controversy that perfectly set up the next chapter, Batman v Superman.

Snyder has absolutely hit the mark. I enjoyed this film a million times more than I ever did the Avengers. The story alone was so much deeper and carefully scripted and paced. The action at the end was a little long understandably for some, but after rewatching it I am glad it is that long. The perfect coming-out-of-his-shell for the Man of Steel.

Once more, the Greek Mythology underlining in many areas was a perfect touch as well. Simply perfect. Gives the sense of an ancient god with Kal El being from another planet and all, though I wont elaborate much on this as there are plenty wonderful hints underlining the amazing direction Snyder took in this film that few will understand and fewer still appreciate. That is how deep this film goes.

p.s, (spoilers) to all those **** about the destruction caused in the City. The casualties were minimal, a large crater had been already created in the city from the terraforming machine. Supes had hardly anything to do with all that when he was tossed and fought through several buildings alone against his will. Or was he meant to stop the fight and talk to a crazed Zod that cared less to fight Superman and simply wanted to kill people, and tell him "not so fast general, there are civilians here, I would kindly ask you to move this outside were we can finish it like men" Herp Derp....

Human nature of blaming Supes on all the destruction is evident even in the haters, which again, sets up for an even more realistic and believable premise to Batman v Superman. Simply, awesome, on so many levels!!!

A deserved 10/10. I think I have watched this film 5 times more than I ever watched Avengers to this date. It is amazing.
ConnorFilmFanJul 25, 2013
Critics are being too harsh on this film, but the more i think about it, the more I understand why. Unlike other recent hero films, this isn't the first film adaptation for the character, thus the general pop has differing views on how theCritics are being too harsh on this film, but the more i think about it, the more I understand why. Unlike other recent hero films, this isn't the first film adaptation for the character, thus the general pop has differing views on how the character should be portrayed. I can understand that the alien focus on Superman can be jarring. Overall it's an above average, pretty good origin film. While It gets a bit overboard in the third act, I occasionally wished for more Clark Kent flashbacks, and the pacing is a tad iffy throughout the film, overall it's highly entertaining, and has that fantastic visual flair that only Zack Snyder can produce. The cast does a fantastic job, particularly Amy Adams who has no issue portraying the feisty-ness of Lois Lane, yet also showing a tender side we haven't seen since Margot Kidder 7/10
One final thought on the mixed critical reception *yet positive reaction from the general public*

Of course opinions differ from person to person but it's becoming blatantly obvious which critics wear blinders for their favorite directors and how biased film critics have become.
ArminiesAug 26, 2013
a Superman film that's embarrassed to be Superman, Lois exists for the sole job of Exposition, No emotional impact at all like the Trailers sold it to have. but hey if you like Transformers 3 and cant wait to see Transformers 4 this is thea Superman film that's embarrassed to be Superman, Lois exists for the sole job of Exposition, No emotional impact at all like the Trailers sold it to have. but hey if you like Transformers 3 and cant wait to see Transformers 4 this is the perfect movie for you, a Main actor who is as good as a Plank of wood with a cape, Action that's just there to blow up and a resolution that leaves even the dumbest DC fanboys in shock as to just how dumb it is. 1/10 and that 1 stands for the 1 time i saw the film and will never watch this train wreck gain. Expand
HaithamBSep 7, 2014
I am not a fan of superhero movies, but as they go, especially DC Comics, this is definitely one of the weakest and lightest. However, Man of Steel is still entertaining with really cool CGI.
IaserehtSep 9, 2014
I must be getting old or just really old fashioned. It wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen, but it sure wasn't one I'd want to watch again. It's the worst "Superman" movie I've ever seen.
seventhbeaconNov 23, 2014
A joyless 2+ hour long video game cinematic that forgot to include the "hero" in superhero. If the endless DBZ fighting scenes and mindless punching are your thing, yeah, you'll enjoy it. The movie kept talking about 'hope' and Clark beingA joyless 2+ hour long video game cinematic that forgot to include the "hero" in superhero. If the endless DBZ fighting scenes and mindless punching are your thing, yeah, you'll enjoy it. The movie kept talking about 'hope' and Clark being destined for more, but when the world is falling around him you expect him to at least occasionally save lives along the way. I don't have a problem with how the fight with Zod ended, but I do have a problem that the buildup wasn't there so the victory/choice wasn't truly earned. After thousands of people die (which he stops to stand over their corpses to kiss Lois, ugh not a romantic moment), he suddenly cares about four idiots in a subway who don't know how to run away? Not convincing. This frat boy punch face stuff just does not comprehend the heart and joy of the Superman franchise.

Also, blatant commercial plugs for IHOP, Sears, etc were farrrr too blatant.

The only reason this movie is not getting a '0' is because Zod was a well-acted, well-portrayed villain despite the strange voice impediment, and the Krypton stuff at the beginning was fun (though again, favored action over depth, at least it had more depth than the rest of the movie).

This movie also has the most pointless death ever. Because even though he's fast enough to be a blur, they needed some B.S. dramatic moment that 'looked cool' for some dumbass reason.

Awful movie. Made me realize how much better Superman Returns was because of all the things it got right despite being a flawed movie.

Don't watch Man of $teel. With any luck the Batman/Superman movie will be better, but I doubt it, because jock-brained Zach Snyder is still helming it.
ChrisJNolanAug 13, 2015
It goes beyond what we thought about the man of steel character. This movie is way ahead of it. It shows what really we all have been waiting for: soundtrack, acting, and mostly action
Saad300060Nov 1, 2015
Most underrated movie this movie is a masterpiece people didn't like it because it wasn't marvel which is kid material and this is a new look for superman that I would love to see dc adapt to even there comics and I think people should watchMost underrated movie this movie is a masterpiece people didn't like it because it wasn't marvel which is kid material and this is a new look for superman that I would love to see dc adapt to even there comics and I think people should watch it again so they can rethink about what to rate this its a 10 movie even the flight scene was probably one of the best scene of all time in any superman movie Expand
DiomedesJun 14, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie felt shorter to me than the run-time. As for some complaints about not resolving relationships and such, this movie is meant to establish such relationships and complications, so they can be explored and resolved in the sequels, right? Superman has been around for 75 years, so I think it is hard for some viewers to recognize that this movie presents us with a neophyte hero this is the first time he's wearing the suit and making tough decisions. As long as the character grows into the icon in the sequels, then it's a good thing. Do we really want a character, in an origin story, that has nowhere to develop? And that's what this movie felt like to me, an introduction to Superman, not a summation of the character.

I give it 8.5 out of 10 (rounding up to 9 because I'm a geek). It's a solid movie with all the action anyone could have wanted (too much for some, but great for me, bring it on). It doesn't reinvent superhero movies but Man of Steel is certainly among the best of the genre. Sadly, the hopes and the hype were so high that the fact that it isn't overwhelmingly great has hurt the movie's reception. I recommend it to superhero and action fans without reservation. To those who aren't fans of either genre, I say this. Surrender within twenty-four hours ...

A couple critiques. The shaky-cam effect is kind of jarring, especially in the opening scenes. For a moment, I was wondering if Krypton was having earthquakes in the early scenes, until I realized the camera-work was just a visual conceit. The tremor-vision calms down eventually, and for most of the movie, but returns for little, annoying bursts when least expected. Second, there are a couple actions that Clark takes (or doesn't take i.e. the tornado scene) that seem out of character. Per my point above, about character development, I believe (hope?) that these decisions will be revisited in the sequels.
MysteriousRageJul 22, 2013
This movie suffers from piss poor pacing. It's slow in the beginning and at the flip of a dime becomes a massive in your face action spectacle. It's has some cool action scenes but ultimately goes way too far with it. Most of the charactersThis movie suffers from piss poor pacing. It's slow in the beginning and at the flip of a dime becomes a massive in your face action spectacle. It's has some cool action scenes but ultimately goes way too far with it. Most of the characters are uninteresting (having an excess amount of supporting characters that don't go anywhere) and even Superman has no personality. Everyone conversation to him is 'what it means to be a hero' or 'your purpose in life with these powers'. There is no real dialogue. The story does the Batman Begins approach having flashbacks to parts of his life, giving insight on the character's past and doing the beginnings of him becoming the hero. It doesn't do as well and while some flashbacks are well done, most become rather boring.

The special effects and a few good action scenes before it becomes too much are the only things that hold this movie up. This movie fails to reach to the true potential of what it promised and what it could have been.
MamukakamJun 17, 2013
Amazing film, but if you're looking for another typical, wise cracking superhero film then this is not the one for you. This is a sci-fi film, through and through. It explores first contact.

Those that are critical of a lack of warmth,

Those that are critical of a lack of warmth, emotion and humour in the main protagonist, seem to be missing the point. He's an alien! Does he lack humanity? No, but he's been trying to find his path and a sense of belonging for 33 years. It's something I've struggled with in adulthood and I'm from this planet! (Mum,I am from this planet, aren't I? Mum?!?)

All of the characters were well written and well acted. The 2 father figures were particularly impressive. It was good to see Jor El get some serious screen time and back story. Likewise, it was interesting to see more of Krypton than we ever have before. The world and its people became more real than ever. You felt a real sense of the impending doom that would befall their planet and the effect that would have on their (Zod and his followers) "humanity".

There is perhaps one criticism that is being levied at the film by critics that I would regard as fair. The action is intense (which is good), but it could be said (or rather, IS being said) that the action scenes are too long. I accept the point, but we are talking about near indestructible super beings fighting against other near indestructible super beings! However, the amount of action perhaps had the effect of blunting the senses somewhat. But if there was less, would we be suggesting the film was less epic? Perhaps, and it is for that reason that I would not be too critical of seeing such action on screen.

Watch it. Love it. Get excited for a sequel!
danseomenJun 14, 2013
This movie is without a doubt the best Superman movie ever made. What has Superman always lacked....action that meets with the character's powers. This movie has action in spades, and it is not too much. It is perfect. It is what I alwaysThis movie is without a doubt the best Superman movie ever made. What has Superman always lacked....action that meets with the character's powers. This movie has action in spades, and it is not too much. It is perfect. It is what I always wanted to see. There is enough story, some of it quite compelling. The best part is watching Supes transform from being unsure of himself and who he is at the beginning and turning into the Superman/Clark Kent that we are more familiar with... all twinkling eye and the boy scout smile by the end.

But really, the action and speed and power of the fight sequences are really astounding. You believe this man is THAT strong and THAT fast.

Word of warning. See it in 2-D. If I had seen it in 3-D, I would have thrown up It seems the bad reviews are mostly from people who saw it in 3-D. This thing moves, people, and if I had seen it in 3-D, it would have been too much of a good thing.

My final verdict: Better than Avengers (a tiny little bit), as good as the Dark Knight (maybe a little tiny bit worse), and as good as the 1978 Superman (maybe a little tiny bit better). Better than the first Iron Man and the Spider Man and X-Men films (by a good margin). Makes Green Lantern look like something drawn by my infant son.
AkirahhJun 14, 2013
Epic...Finally a good Superman, alot of action and epic special effects. The visual was perfect. For me this is the movie of the year...Plz sequel and justice league ASAP
LoheshJun 14, 2013
This movie really soared above my expectations and competes for the greatest superhero film. Comic book fan or not this movie is a lot of fun and will keep you at the edge of your seat for sure!
TheRoachJun 14, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An absolutely spectacular arrangement of action and character development. The movie isn't paced like most others, opting for a more unique approach. It divides itself into massive scale action sequences and lengths of character exploration. Most reviewers have been put off by the massive scale, hour long action sequence near the end, but they seem to forget the thematic exploration of Clark's character that came before it.

Superman as the depiction of the perfect immigrant? You have Clark coming in and doing various oddjobs to try and make a living before he finally finds his calling, and even then he is submit to scrutiny.

Superman as a paradoxical character with a strength that is also a weakness? You have some pivotal scenes where Superman is forced to make a decision for the greater good despite his morals. Indeed at several points in the film, the villains themselves outright state this theme- that Clark's morals make him weaker.

In addition to that, you have Clark's brilliant social predicament as a whole once again laid out perfectly. This absolutely incorruptible, truly good person manages to still somehow be put through a sad and lonely life.

In addition to the thematic exploration being done masterfully by writer David S. Goyer, you have the incredibly character performances. Henry Cavill portrays a humble (if humorless) Kal El/Clark Kent who is always willing to do the right thing on his own terms. His facial expressions and overall body language enrich the film's quality immensely. The look of apprehension the first time he dons the cape and faces the threat. The look of weakness when he realizes that the enemy who has just slammed him into a wall possesses the same powers as him. The look of stern coldness as Superman taunts the main villain. The white hot intensity when Superman turns aggressive. It's all done superbly by Cavill.

The aforementioned main villain is also an absolute powerhouse. General Zod is played by Michael Shannon (famous for his ability to simulate anger). General Zod's character as a whole is one of the most surprisingly good parts about the film. Sharply contrasting with Terence Stamp's cold blooded "kneel inducing" Zod, Shannon plays a megalomaniac bent on trying to restore life to his long dead race. You truly feel sympathy for Zod, but are no less satisfied when his character arc reaches its payoff. Shannon's portrayal is raw, threatening, and downright scary. He really has a way with eyes, being able to intimidate pretty much anyone he wants to.

Superman's father, Jor-El, happens to be one of those people. He is played by Russel Crowe. There's really not much else to say here but the fact that he absolutely kills the role.

The supporting cast all do their jobs very well, but are given rather little to work with. This should be more or less expected, considering the movie's marketing as Superman's origin story. Standout performances include Antje as the menacing-yet-sexy supporting villain Faora, Amy Adams as the adorable-yet-tough love interest Lois Lane, and Kevin Costner as the moral guidance of Jonathan Kent (Clark's father).

There are some issues with the movie. The action scenes do indeed feel too drawn out at some points. This can be seen in the middle 20 minutes of the last action scene where the movie ends up feeling like a Michale Bay-esque building dropper. Fortunately, the action builds up even more, and ends up with a climax so exhilarating that it would take three Avengers movies to top it.

As said before, the pacing is unique, but still strangely polarizing. The film is content with simply dividing the action and story development scenes into sections, instead of integrating them with each other and creating a coherent flow throughout the movie.

And, above all, the film truly is devoid of humor. While this is a new Superman film, some of the humility (and humanity) of the original Clark Kent in the Richard Donner films came from trivial things that would happen to Clark. Fortunately, the ending of the film leads into something that may indicate a return to this style of humor in the future.

The movie does contain some absolutely massive, drawn out action sequences. It is also paced in a strangely polarizing way, and the film is devoid of a lot of the humor that characterized the Richard Donner films. But one must not ignore the thematic explorations of the characters that came with those things and dismiss the film as a "generic blockbuster." Truly, with the teeming sci fi world of Krypton, strong character performances, and thematic respect to Superman's character, it is anything but.

This movie scores a 9.5/10. Since Metacritic does not allow for 9.5s, and the critical response seems to be rather mixed, the score was rounded to a 10.

____

This is my girlfriend's cousin's review. I'm just relaying it here. I haven't watched the film yet myself, but as a longtime Superman fan, the talk of thematic exploration excites me to no end.
xxxmarine79Jun 14, 2013
Great movie, the character of Superman is above that of Bale as Batman or any other superhero. He is Stoic and reminds me of Gosling in drive. Doesnt need to say much or emote much and that is what makes you interested in him. The characterGreat movie, the character of Superman is above that of Bale as Batman or any other superhero. He is Stoic and reminds me of Gosling in drive. Doesnt need to say much or emote much and that is what makes you interested in him. The character drove me a lot. The story was great too! Expand
MetrogeekJun 21, 2013
Somewhat humorless and a few silly story elements, but spectacular set pieces and visuals. Even acting throughout. A nice, different kick at the can at the Superman character. First movie to really show how powerful Superman really is inSomewhat humorless and a few silly story elements, but spectacular set pieces and visuals. Even acting throughout. A nice, different kick at the can at the Superman character. First movie to really show how powerful Superman really is in the comic books. (without oddities like turning back time or memory-sapping kisses) Thoroughly enjoyed it despite it's problems. Expand
MaxsonJun 15, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best superman film yet!! The story was pretty dark, serious, and kinda emotional-thanks to Nolan of course. The action was amazing, the last 25-30 mins were non-stop over the top action-thank you Zack Snyder. The story of course was really good, talked about krypton which was good, how Superman/Clark Kent learn about his origin and how his step father taught him to be a better person when he was young. Lots of moral lesson in this film which I like. The pacing of the film was okay..I wished they took their time talking more about Superman/Clark when he was young. Overall the film was awesome, action was intense, cgi was top notch, and the story was dark and serious. Can't wait for a sequel. Expand
CST530Jun 15, 2013
I'm a bit baffled by the general panning of this movie by the critics, because I thought it was a hell of a movie to watch. The action sequences were all very well orchestrated and never became boring; along those lines, I thought Snyder didI'm a bit baffled by the general panning of this movie by the critics, because I thought it was a hell of a movie to watch. The action sequences were all very well orchestrated and never became boring; along those lines, I thought Snyder did a great job of melding a sci-fi movie with a big summer action movie. I was a little worried before I saw it, given all of the bad reviews, but I would highly recommend it. Great action movie, well worth the money. Expand
kairockJun 17, 2013
very entertaining movie with fight scenes that shows how superhumans fight. but something was lacking.
christian bale was batman, rdjr is iron man... but henry, just wasn't superman enough.
but hey, maybe because its just begun... we did

but hey, maybe because its just begun... we did not get to see the clark kent we all know till the end. MUST watch!
Aphex001Jun 16, 2013
This film was everything I expected out of a Director-Writer combo like this, that is Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan, respectively. In my deepest opinion, I believe the writer/director team can make or break a film as easy as a twig asThis film was everything I expected out of a Director-Writer combo like this, that is Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan, respectively. In my deepest opinion, I believe the writer/director team can make or break a film as easy as a twig as far as audience satisfaction is concerned. Well, they definitely showed up for this film, and supported a beloved superhero no less. This film was more "realistic" approach to Superman's origin. It covered the short demise of Krypton, and was just enough screen time to understand why it happened, and for Superman's transit to Earth via Krypton.

To make a great story short, this movie is loaded with tons of action, great acting, and great replay value. You won't be disappointed.
thejman8861Jun 14, 2013
A nearly flawless film, to me. I loved each and every scene and I never found myself "bored" with what was going on, even during all the exposition. I really enjoyed what they did with the character, and mythology in general. The plot wasA nearly flawless film, to me. I loved each and every scene and I never found myself "bored" with what was going on, even during all the exposition. I really enjoyed what they did with the character, and mythology in general. The plot was simple and fun, the villain was fleshed out surprisingly well (which is something superhero movies in general don't do too much these days). And the effects are out of this world, I walked out of the theater like I just came off a roller coaster, with this feeling of excitement in my chest. I think that's the best way to describe this movie. A really amazing roller coaster. The emotional scenes were also tastefully done and I had all the feels for Clark through out the movie. Expand
overtwinnyJun 14, 2013
Batman focused on being based in reality, The Spiderman reboot focused on science, Man of Steel focuses on Aliens as its tool to make the world believable. Great action, great acting, and goyers story is phenomenal as usual. That being said,Batman focused on being based in reality, The Spiderman reboot focused on science, Man of Steel focuses on Aliens as its tool to make the world believable. Great action, great acting, and goyers story is phenomenal as usual. That being said, there are some problems, mainly the non stop advertisements during one of the action sequences bothered me allot. The pacing is a little odd but seems like I may get used to it on a second watch. Last thing is I wish I laughed more then twice during the movie, if the movie has any fault it's in its non stop seriousness. But if you don't expect this to be an iron man 3 and more like the nolan batman universe your in for a treat. Expand
anirudhnmathurJun 15, 2013
I was so relieved. Its good. Its really good. Critics and Audiences with a longing for the Christopher Reeve era may not find it as appealing. But Snyder has made a Superman for the new century. Henry Cavill as Superman is fantastic. He hasI was so relieved. Its good. Its really good. Critics and Audiences with a longing for the Christopher Reeve era may not find it as appealing. But Snyder has made a Superman for the new century. Henry Cavill as Superman is fantastic. He has made the role his own for at least a few more Superman movies. I would like to see Clark Kent explored a bit more. But the twists and changes made by Zack Snyder and the awesome action pieces manage to make the movie work brilliantly. There is a balance, between Goyer's Screenplay and the emotional and wonderful acting of Russel Crow; the menacing Zod, & Snyder's action and attention to detail. It was just short of perfect, but maybe that is our expectations getting in the way. In any case, this sets the stage for Man of Steel 2, which I feel will surpass even my high expectations. Ultimately, at the end of this movie, there is a feeling of relief and a big thank you to everyone involved in this movie. They finally....made the right superman movie. Expand
TheBobbyjamesJun 14, 2013
Zack Snyder's vision to deliver a "one of a kind" Superman movie was clear and that's what Snyder does by delivering one of the best Superman movies ever. Henry Cavill shines as the lead he is perfect for the title role. Cavill has theZack Snyder's vision to deliver a "one of a kind" Superman movie was clear and that's what Snyder does by delivering one of the best Superman movies ever. Henry Cavill shines as the lead he is perfect for the title role. Cavill has the physical presence the role requires, the masculine voice that makes him a confident hero, and the artistic ability to add layers of dimension and vulnerability. Michael Shannon creates a conflicted and compelling villain (General Zod) and is almost overtaken by his side-kick Faora (Antje Traue) who poses a greater personal risk for the Man of Steel.

Amy Adams (as Lois Lane) does really well she's not the helpless woman depicted by the animated series. She's tough, in a Pepper Potts (from Ironman) sort of a way. Like Adams, Diane Lane (as Martha Kent) is great. It's Cavill's interactions with these two woman that provide the greatest depth for his character a nice touch.

And if you're a film aficionado who loves movie-music, Hans Zimmer's score is masterful, as is this film's sound-mixing.

Can't wait for the sequel, which already has confirmed key players, and ultimately the Justice League movie!

Note: There is no mid or end credit scene. Bummer.
BMoore28Jun 14, 2013
This Movie is F'ing awesome. This is what I want to see in a Superman movie. I felt exhilarated and into the movie. Now in saying that make no mistake that this not the Donner Superman movie, as this is not based on the silver age comicThis Movie is F'ing awesome. This is what I want to see in a Superman movie. I felt exhilarated and into the movie. Now in saying that make no mistake that this not the Donner Superman movie, as this is not based on the silver age comic book Superman, Think John Byrne's Man of Steel comic book series or post crisis. This is a God with God like powers living in card board world. The pace wasn't a problem for me as I didn't expect Superman to be Superman yet, which is why they don't say that word alot in the film. Its not Lois and Clark with a bigger budget so don't expect a love story, expect a super powered being with real problems and a kick ass last 45 minutes and I promise you'll love it just as much as I did. Expand
Andres5Jun 14, 2013
It's the pointed focus on science fiction that elevates Man of Steel beyond that of just another Superman movie, Cavill is more than serviceable as our hero, Khal-El, while Crowe and Costner provide strong acting from the supporting roles.It's the pointed focus on science fiction that elevates Man of Steel beyond that of just another Superman movie, Cavill is more than serviceable as our hero, Khal-El, while Crowe and Costner provide strong acting from the supporting roles. The action sequences are immaculate EPIC!! Expand
blockofcheeseJun 14, 2013
THE REBOOT SUPERMAN NEEDED. I was instantly drawn to this movie, by the time I saw the extended trailer. It lived up to my expectations. Zack Snyder blew me away (as always) with his STUNNING Visuals! David S. Goyer writes a captivating andTHE REBOOT SUPERMAN NEEDED. I was instantly drawn to this movie, by the time I saw the extended trailer. It lived up to my expectations. Zack Snyder blew me away (as always) with his STUNNING Visuals! David S. Goyer writes a captivating and interesting story about hope. The whole movie is packed to the punch with heavy hitting action. It will remain a superhero favourite in my mind. I give a 10/10... a 100%! A+ Film of the Summer of 2013!!! Expand
ADILJun 22, 2013
I am since my childhood, the first film of a powerful personality I've seen about the super man
Frankly Marvel abuses figures from DC figures
The reason is obvious
Directors of DC
Stronger than Spider man and Hulk
BY ADIL KHOJAH SAUDI ARABIYA
YolandoJun 22, 2013
Giving a solid origin story and fitting actor, "Man of Steel" takes its well known character and humanizes him, and, in the process, establishes a true hero.
alrightnikJun 25, 2013
bcos i am superman i felt good here watching this movie
so i rate this movie full explicit of kryptonian with maximum green score
and have a good time
scott8798Jun 17, 2013
Man of Steel serves as a triumphant and bold return after the box office disappointment that was Superman Returns. Henry Cavill is brilliant as Superman. He plays the role with conviction and passion. All of the cast was well picked, and theyMan of Steel serves as a triumphant and bold return after the box office disappointment that was Superman Returns. Henry Cavill is brilliant as Superman. He plays the role with conviction and passion. All of the cast was well picked, and they all fit their roles. This Superman goes farther into Kal-El/Clark Kent's back story. As Krypton's core is collapsing, Jor-El(Russell Crowe) and Lara(Ayelet Zurer) have just given birth to the first natural baby in centuries. Unfortunately, the Council of Krypton refuse to stop drilling for resources from the core, and Jor-El and Lara send their son, Kal-El, to Earth so he can live a better life. He lives without being exposed of this information for 33 years, until General Zod(Michael Shannon), the former military leader of Krypton which is now nothing. Now Zod is leading his group into Earth to populate and overthrow the people of Earth. Superman must work to protect the people of Earth from the Kryptonians. The Special Effects in this movie are amazing. The only major complaint which I've also seen with other people is the last scene. It's 45 minutes of mayhem. While I felt it was an epic conclusion to an epic blockbuster, 45 minutes was certainly way too long and upset many people in the audience. Overall, anyone who isn't upset by loud noises should definitely see Man of Steel. Expand
IMRJun 16, 2013
one of the best movies of this and all times, it is difficult to make a superhero movie that has serious tone and not just romp and jokes. It shows the human side of Kar-El, in trying to be just one of us, but his fate will prepare somethingone of the best movies of this and all times, it is difficult to make a superhero movie that has serious tone and not just romp and jokes. It shows the human side of Kar-El, in trying to be just one of us, but his fate will prepare something bigger "The ultimate hero of humanity".

It shows a Clark who suffer the consequences of being different, their emotions, their feelings. Facing decisions between who he is or who he should be.

The cast was amazing, everything fit to perfection: Henry Cavill, Michael Shannon, Russell Crowe, Amy Adams, Antje Traue, Kevin Costner, Laurence Fishburne ..

The music is beautiful and powerful

Indisputably 10/10 Movie
DSC24AARPJun 14, 2013
This film is incredible, don't take the critics complaints for it. If you do and don't watch this film you'll be missing out on something great. Best pure superhero comic film ever, The Avengers can just quit now.
Sinister51Jun 19, 2013
This movie was exactly what I wanted to see with my favorite comic book hero, Superman. Snyder has that unique ability to take the universes right out of the comic and put them to the big screen. There are a few things that I still hadThis movie was exactly what I wanted to see with my favorite comic book hero, Superman. Snyder has that unique ability to take the universes right out of the comic and put them to the big screen. There are a few things that I still had questions about once the end credits rolled, but it wasn't enough of a drawback to the awe I felt seeing Kal-el, Jor-el, Zod, and especially Faora done so well. It elaborated the sci-fi element beyond just crystals and more crystals which I thought was an improvement over the older movies. And Man of Steel may have some plot holes but so did Superman 1-4. Such as if he can turn back time, why not use that every time a villain gets the upper hand? You could call it Superman: Groundhog Day. He just keeps repeating things till he gets it done right. But despite that people still loved the movies, and I think the critics got it wrong with this one. I highly recommend checking it out. Expand
ellriveraJun 22, 2013
This, to me, is one of the best Superman movies in history. It was very informative, it educated the audience on who the Man of Steel was/is. I would have given it a 10, but I felt that his childhood should have been incorporated more intoThis, to me, is one of the best Superman movies in history. It was very informative, it educated the audience on who the Man of Steel was/is. I would have given it a 10, but I felt that his childhood should have been incorporated more into the movie, being how the beginning started off. But, overall, I loved this film. Expand
MoviebuffreviewJun 14, 2013
The heck with the critics. Thanks to incredible action, a fantastic ensemble, a wonderful original score, fantastic script by David S. Goyer, and an incredible new direction, Man of Steel proves to be the best Superman movie since theThe heck with the critics. Thanks to incredible action, a fantastic ensemble, a wonderful original score, fantastic script by David S. Goyer, and an incredible new direction, Man of Steel proves to be the best Superman movie since the original, and it is one of the best comic book movies ever. This is a fantastic reboot to the franchise, and a great start to an inevitable Justice League franchise. Expand
Mazmorrero47Jun 15, 2013
Zack Snyder created the Superman film we needed. He gives us some jaw-dropping visuals and an engaging and emotional story about loneliness and finding your mission in life that keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Henry Cavill totally nailed
Henry Cavill totally nailed the role of Superman in every possible way. He has a strong screen presence and gives the character a naivety that makes you relate to him. He has morals, but still can get angry, sad and desperate. The rest of the cast is great as well.
General Zod was written in a very intelligent way because even though he was a force of destruction and violence, you can still understand his motivations.
Man of Steel has everything to please both comic book aficionados and average movie goers, and is the perfect Superman movie.
m2727xzJun 14, 2013
best movie ever cant see why those critic don't see what I see bunch of idiots that movie was the best got great actors great action bunch of other things
AmazingspidermaJun 14, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like the new movie is better to the previous and this movie have new plot new enemy and I think Henry cavil better than Brandon Roth and more serious Expand
RichieblancaJun 14, 2013
EPIC there is no other word to describe it! By FAR the best super hero movie ever made! And by FAR the best movie of the year!
I believe the critics went to watch another movie cause else something is seriously wrong with them!
Worth

Worth every penny I spent to watch it! Should be oscarized! and Snyder is a true visionary I'll give it 20/10 if I could!
versusJun 14, 2013
Great Movie, most of critic reviews are nonsense, it is a great start for the new saga of Superman, the only weak points i found are, maybe too much details in the story, and maybe just maybe, too much destruction, but the movie was meant toGreat Movie, most of critic reviews are nonsense, it is a great start for the new saga of Superman, the only weak points i found are, maybe too much details in the story, and maybe just maybe, too much destruction, but the movie was meant to be made in this way

This is all what i expected from a Superman Vs General Zod Battle.

Russell Crowe, Henry Cavill and Michael Shannon acting was terrific.

This is an almost perfect beginning for a perfect sequel.
comiekillaJun 21, 2013
Great reboot to a much beloved super hero. As long as you go into this knowing that it is in fact reimagining you won't be to disappointed. I hope that the keep the sequels coming.
hernandezjon12Jun 14, 2013
It's a Zack Snyder film, but it felt more than that. It was a great visual spectacle, but cavill could have shown a little more emotion, but Shannon as zod was enough for me, people wanted a more serious superman and this is as serious asIt's a Zack Snyder film, but it felt more than that. It was a great visual spectacle, but cavill could have shown a little more emotion, but Shannon as zod was enough for me, people wanted a more serious superman and this is as serious as anything else, it didn't feel like a Nolan dark knight film. It was Snyder's and it was great. Expand
theamazingsp3Jun 14, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the new movie because it started again and has finally a new enemy and kept the Lex Luther has a new plot of new players and I think Henry Kabila better at playing the Superman Brandon Roth Expand
ThekarmaJun 14, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went in with high expectations and it managed to meet most of them. Which surprised me, it was fun and it tried to fit a lot in what seemed a short time, but was actually long. I'm sure the next one will have more character development and I can't wait. In short Super! Expand
WebspidrmanJun 14, 2013
This movie wasn't perfect, but by god it's awesome! It's so sad that the critics don't feel the same way. Criticism over the serious tone is probably due to harping upon nostalgia. This movie is so thoughtful and provocative, and theThis movie wasn't perfect, but by god it's awesome! It's so sad that the critics don't feel the same way. Criticism over the serious tone is probably due to harping upon nostalgia. This movie is so thoughtful and provocative, and the performances by the actors are phenomenal. My only sadness is that a quality movie may not get the attention it deserves. Expand
Joeycortes611Jun 14, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Superman Movie story for this generation. Man of steel has pulled what other Superman movie has never done this movie has shown us the core of the character and what he can do. Emotional and action packet, this movie has it all and I can't wait for the sequel of this movie. Thank you God for NOT giving us another campy Superman movie. Expand
MrCritic43Jun 14, 2013
Originally, I had low hopes due to the various negative critical responses. But as soon as I saw this movie at an advanced screening, I realized that those critics can just go die in a box!! MAN OF STEEL is the Superman movie we have all beenOriginally, I had low hopes due to the various negative critical responses. But as soon as I saw this movie at an advanced screening, I realized that those critics can just go die in a box!! MAN OF STEEL is the Superman movie we have all been waiting for!! The action, visuals and cinematography are all brilliant!

Now does this movie have flaws? Yes it does. But those flaws can just easily be covered up due to the movie's spectacle. Zack Snyder has never been one of my favorite directors, but I realized that it isn't his fault. He is unluckily paired with amateur writers with scripts and stories that are very blurry or hard to understand. Snyder is a great director; blame David S. Goyer. The only good movies he's done are the Dark Knight movies.

The acting in this movie should also be praised. Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, and Kevin Costner all do marvelous jobs portraying their characters. But the real person who should be praised in this movie is Michael Shannon. He literally steals the show due to a powerful performance as General Zod.

Here's how I would rank this movie (On a scale of 1-10):

Editing- 9
Music- 10
Sound-10
Cinematography-10

All in all, I rank this movie a 9 out of 10. I would definitely recommend anyone to go see it and I can't wait to see what will be in store for the next movie.
joyalJun 14, 2013
i don't care about what critics says...man of steel is outstanding,the visuals were spectacular! the best abot this superman film is powerful mindblowing action scenes.....man of steel is so far the best action movie of 2013 yet...!!! i fivei don't care about what critics says...man of steel is outstanding,the visuals were spectacular! the best abot this superman film is powerful mindblowing action scenes.....man of steel is so far the best action movie of 2013 yet...!!! i five rating 9 out of 10 Expand
StevexJun 15, 2013
I registered here at this site just so I could write about this movie. It is a must see. Saw it on Imax 3d, was incredible. Sound, effects, character developtment, action, pace, everything about this movie was phenomenal. I wasn't going toI registered here at this site just so I could write about this movie. It is a must see. Saw it on Imax 3d, was incredible. Sound, effects, character developtment, action, pace, everything about this movie was phenomenal. I wasn't going to see it bc I was bored with the Superman story, but this has completely changed my opinion and made me a fan. Expand
pancho_nbaJun 22, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel Review (spoilers) English Version.
How is this?. Superman does not kill ever, is not that their only unbreakable rule?. But no, this is a big change for an entire generation of fans of superman. By putting our hero in a world adapted to our reality would be a little improbable it was over pink.
Disputes:
This "reboot" (re-start) of the franchise and the superhero loved and wanted more from all periods presented controversy, as many have surely noticed divided the public into two parts (which you can notice in many of the criticisms this movie is having) those who loved him as my (I'm a superman fan-boy) and they did not like (mostly adult fans of the old iconic superman christopher reeve). The biggest problem is that by generating many changes and break so many rules of the old superman to make it "fit" somehow in this generation, takes a break with previous generations. This is where I have seen the iconic movies of reeve and have read comics and everything that surrounds the world of superman tell those generations "get over it". It is simple fact, in previous generations superman was so iconic for one simple reason, it worked for them. I believed possible and others, they served as inspiration, because superman is the best thing a person can aspire to be, beyond his powers, the man just does everything right and as it should be. But the idealism of perfection and practically "utopia" no longer fits in this reality. Not something that serves us more perfect, utopian, unattainable. We need something more "credible" because superman is the most humane thing to be and if it is so human to have problems and difficulties as all of us or possibly much greater than ours. Then a hero who has problems, difficult to adapt, and that to save humanity is to kill someone, it is more credible and more focused on a possible reality like ours, instead of as unattainable utopia of reeve. So the final feature which appears as a reporter superman does not fit all in this new adaptation.

Final Score: 9/10

You definitely have to go see it to also form our own opinion. Regardless of the criticism the film is a success statistically speaking in terms of money raised. And are preparing the sequel that if Mr. Nolan confirms again be involved going to be a They imagine that Nolan do what he did for the guason with Lex Luthor??? I blows my mind to imagine that.

Greetings and thank you all for reading enjoy this new, epic superman that brings our generation, and leave the past behind.
dreamteamJun 14, 2013
Man of Steel is a remarkable film that critics don’t seem to fully understand but audiences everywhere are finding to be easy to love. Before I delve into the core of my review, I need to point out that the argument that this movie was anMan of Steel is a remarkable film that critics don’t seem to fully understand but audiences everywhere are finding to be easy to love. Before I delve into the core of my review, I need to point out that the argument that this movie was an unnecessary reboot is completely absurd. It has been over 30 years since we had an origin story for Superman! Modern audiences have not been exposed to Superman in any real way ever since (Superman Returns does not count). If anyone deserves a fresh start, it’s Kal-El. Now, regarding the tone of the film, which critics have claimed is too dark and overtly serious, I feel that it works well considering what the filmmakers want to establish. Superman needs to exist in a more realistic world and that’s just what Man of Steel provided. Our world isn’t always happy and Man of Steel does wonders when it explores this very concept. However, I need to point out that Man of Steel is not the dull and lifeless film that critics are making it out to be. On the contrary, there are actually instances in the movie in which I and the rest of the audience broke out laughing. As for the plot, I genuinely believe that Man of Steel delivered a good story. Moviegoers get to see a dramatically different Krypton and are able to watch as Clark develops into the man he is destined to be. While there were issues with pacing, at times, this is easily forgiven considering the breadth of the story the filmmakers were trying to tell. The acting in the movie also happened to be quite excellent. Henry Cavill has a decent amount of dialogue and makes very good use of it. I believe that his Superman might be the best interpretation of the character (yes, even better than the great Christopher Reeve). Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, and the rest of the cast also do an incredible job. However, I need to give special praise to Kevin Costner. His Pa Kent truly is understandable and the love he demonstrates for his son was enough to bring many in the theater to tears. The action in this film is, naturally, amazing. Zack Snyder’s keenness for this stuff shines brightly in the film and I did not ever get tired of what I was seeing. To wrap things up, Man of Steel is a wonderful film and the critical reviews it has been getting show one thing: today’s professional reviewers have become so twisted that they can’t recognize a good film when it’s right before their eyes. Do yourself a favor and go out and see the film for yourself. You’ll love it. Expand
GrimmjoJun 17, 2013
Awesooooooooooooooooooooome *_*

This film is just perfect

You could not ask for a better man of steel or to launch the project justice League

I dream since childhood

Snyder makes my dream I love you
Gary64Aug 25, 2013
horrible
characters
costume villains story battle, action scenes it's really boring to see movies, story that I already know. tired of same superheroes. I like Superman when they rescue people from accidents, disaster, hostage,
horrible
characters
costume
villains
story
battle, action scenes
it's really boring to see movies, story that I already know.
tired of same superheroes.
I like Superman when they rescue people from accidents, disaster, hostage, burglar.
but boring when they fight with villains, superheroes villains.
BigscreenedNov 14, 2013
What a disappointment! What a cobbled together reel of clips, jumping from place to place and time to time! With nonsensical renditions of SOME of the historical elements, and new illusions that make the ongoing story virtually impossible,What a disappointment! What a cobbled together reel of clips, jumping from place to place and time to time! With nonsensical renditions of SOME of the historical elements, and new illusions that make the ongoing story virtually impossible, as Lois knows who he is from the beginning!

Also, since no one even knew him before he became the reason for this invasion of Earth and its possible annihilation, who would want the guy around!?

And, what's with the incessant destruction, without regard for human life, as they meaninglessly push each other around through buildings, knowing they're supposedly invulnerable!

This looks more like another silly effort for a franchise that could be one of the best movies every year it came out, with a lineage like James Bond but superhuman; but they keep getting these troubled, misguided directors who want to recreate the myth! It's ridiculous!
NinkNov 15, 2013
The soulless byproduct of committee thinking: no heart, no warmth, no character, no charm; and a script that has all of the narrative sophistication of the back of a dozen cereal boxes stapled together and left in the rain.
Jpz38_HetzerNov 23, 2013
This is the best superman movie ever made. Unfortunately, it is still unwatchable. This movie had a bad plot,and dragged on far too long. The fight scenes all felt like they should have ended 10 minutes befor they actually did. At the halfThis is the best superman movie ever made. Unfortunately, it is still unwatchable. This movie had a bad plot,and dragged on far too long. The fight scenes all felt like they should have ended 10 minutes befor they actually did. At the half way point I was begging for it to be over. I strongly suggest you avoid this one at all costs. Expand
loadstone007Aug 5, 2013
I didn't like the movie, which is a real shame since I really love Superman. The story told has a nice twist to it but the potential was left dead on the floor. Henry Cavill was a really bad casting choice he's just not good at this partI didn't like the movie, which is a real shame since I really love Superman. The story told has a nice twist to it but the potential was left dead on the floor. Henry Cavill was a really bad casting choice he's just not good at this part (and come on close shots of him with his chest hair flowing out of his suit?).

Superman Returns was a much better film that made me feel really excited about Superman and the people he protects. The new film is just a disappointment. Watch this at home.
BairdoNov 19, 2013
Yeah, this was not very good at all, and a borderline Turd. I payed $5.99 to watch it, and I'm still not able to look in the mirror. Too many cheeseball lines, that couldn't be saved by good actors. In the middle of a catastrophic battle withYeah, this was not very good at all, and a borderline Turd. I payed $5.99 to watch it, and I'm still not able to look in the mirror. Too many cheeseball lines, that couldn't be saved by good actors. In the middle of a catastrophic battle with aliens on a main street, was it necessary for Superman to say "Stay inside, it's not safe"?. No, it wasn't. Also, Dad...if you ever read this review, I want you to know that you can count on me to save you from dying in a tornado I don't care if they find out I'm really fast. Expand
foxgroveJan 10, 2014
Convincing and reasonably intelligent re-imagining of how Superman became Clark Kent. Rather more of a piece than the earlier Christopher Reeve films. This time Henry Cavill dons the cloak and tights, in what is a good choice for the comicConvincing and reasonably intelligent re-imagining of how Superman became Clark Kent. Rather more of a piece than the earlier Christopher Reeve films. This time Henry Cavill dons the cloak and tights, in what is a good choice for the comic book hero. The special visual effects are numerous and outstandingly good. Michael Shannon is a fearsome villain in a cast which also includes the ubiquitous Amy Adams (somewhat coasting it here) as Lois Lane. Expand
BradySmithOct 19, 2015
This is an undeniably breathtaking movie. It's visually spectacular, stunningly atmospheric, which has a lot to do with Hanz Zimmer's score, and anchored by a dramatically weighty story. The actors are all first rate, especially MichaelThis is an undeniably breathtaking movie. It's visually spectacular, stunningly atmospheric, which has a lot to do with Hanz Zimmer's score, and anchored by a dramatically weighty story. The actors are all first rate, especially Michael Shannon as the perpetually bitter villain Zod, and Caville makes a pretty decent Superman. The one thing I object to though is that in the third act the action does begin to go on for far too long. The action scenes are all amazingly well done so I won't complain too much but they're too much of a good thing after a while. Nonetheless, this is on a level way above most superhero movies, filled with smart storytelling, and moments that can't be described as anything but awe inspiring. Expand
Eternal409Jul 28, 2013
Simply put the critics just need to stop whining and realise that this is a new take on 'Superman' and not the classic Christopher Reeve take on 'Superman'.
tomtjokJul 29, 2013
Nice plot, great actions, and good actors and actresses. It gives a new perspective of Superman movie. Started with giving a dream of making a superhero who can fly in the big screen to expanding it into a new atmosphere in it. SnyderNice plot, great actions, and good actors and actresses. It gives a new perspective of Superman movie. Started with giving a dream of making a superhero who can fly in the big screen to expanding it into a new atmosphere in it. Snyder completed two aspects, first to make Superman in reality, how the boy grew up with such powers and complexion, with how people would react his existence, and two....the limitation of his great power when fighting with his enemy. it's just so wow boom bang action indeed. These two are never been explored much in The Superman movie. The only thing that is lacking in this reboot is the love story. Lois' part is one gap that Snyder really doesn't know how to fill. So its quite a waste of Amy Adams' acting. Expand
togefreeOct 27, 2013
amazing movie can't wait for the sequel superman is back general zod was awesome strong performance man of steel does have some flaws but it makes it up by giving new taste to the grandfather of superheroes
AwesomesaucemanAug 1, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I personally loved this movie. It was a pleasure to see and to get engaged into the story and the characters Superman way better than the previous Superman in Superman returns and the others. I felt as if the story and the characters could have had a better thought process thought. Oh so Clark's dad thinks he an outcast and then kills himself for that idea (It was a marvelous scene which was very shocking and amazing) but that doesn't really excuse what humanity is like our survival instincts would have popped up in that situation. But I respect the character and the time they spent developing him. Excellent sci phi, The best I've seen in awhile in comparison to the other movies that came out (The purge,Evil dead) this one is amazing but due to the ending Superman kills Zod and the villans just being dumb. That's what keeps this movie from being a 10/10 100% recommend and I will be buying it when it comes out on Dvd Watch http://www.angryjoeshow.com/ For game reviews movie reviews and a lot of comedy Expand
ocampos8578Jul 30, 2013
I absolutely loved this movie. Was it great scriptwise and with some acting?, no. Did it show the Superman I´ve always wanted to see?, ABSOLUTELY. This is Superman.
KevinPHooksAug 5, 2013
"Man of Steel", in my opinion, has everything I wanted out of a superhero movie. Superman is decorated with darker shades as far as the overall atmosphere, and the plot seems so engaging. Though many critics have seen the "flaws" of this"Man of Steel", in my opinion, has everything I wanted out of a superhero movie. Superman is decorated with darker shades as far as the overall atmosphere, and the plot seems so engaging. Though many critics have seen the "flaws" of this film, I was one of the lucky members of its audience to see the hard work put into making it. Expand
aggilusAug 7, 2013
A reboot is that, a reboot. An origin story tells the beginning of the character. I loved the new take on our classical and beloved Superman and while shocked by the ending I understand this is the explanation needed for Superman values andA reboot is that, a reboot. An origin story tells the beginning of the character. I loved the new take on our classical and beloved Superman and while shocked by the ending I understand this is the explanation needed for Superman values and personality. There is a lot more to tell and I wish the creative group find its way the present us a modern mature all powered Superman in MOS2 Expand
LeetkangarooAug 9, 2013
First of all, I loved the movie. Zack Snyder and his team really did a great job with this movie. Henry Cavill is in my opinion the best Superman I have ever seen. I can't really say anything bad about this movie. To see Clack Kent on hisFirst of all, I loved the movie. Zack Snyder and his team really did a great job with this movie. Henry Cavill is in my opinion the best Superman I have ever seen. I can't really say anything bad about this movie. To see Clack Kent on his journey, trying to find himself it was perfect. Great acting, great story. But you should not see this movie, and expect it is like the ones with Christopher Reeve. Those were good, but like many says, it is time to change something. Just the idea of using the suit from the new 52 was great. I couldn't have taken it serious, if he had the red underwear on
In my opinion, this is the best "superhero" movie I have seen, together with The Dark Knight.
No movie is perfect, but I can't see the reason why some can it is pure garbage. IT IS NOT. It is a MASTERPIECE in the comic-hero genre.
gerybotiAug 15, 2013
I'll start with the film's biggest flaw: it clearly can be split into 2 short films:

1. A sci-fi character drama about an alien trying to fit into society while struggling to contain and control his superhuman abilities. So this is what the first 4/5 seasons of Smallville should've been. The fact that it's handled via non-chronological flashback gives it dynamism, so it never becomes stale or boring. We even see an awesome version of Krypton, which actually looks alien, unlike Michael Shannon's (General Zod) screaming tantrums. Also, Russell Crowe is a badass Jor-El.

But that lasts for like 15 minutes; the real highlights are the Kents (played by Kevin Costner and Diane Lane) and all the child actors whom I don't even want to kill. Good job, Warner! I know I haven't said much of Cavill up until this point, but he doesn't have much to do in this part of the movie, but when he's on screen, he's serviceable and the emphasis is more on the struggles of young/teenage Clark. We get to see the man (/boy) with godlike powers constantly get bullied and emotionally tortured by idiots, a**holes and kids, which makes us see his vulnerability and desire to distance himself from us.

When he's an adult though he (sort of) loses his calm once.

Also, some citizens of Smallville (sort) of know who Clark really is. That's actually a refreshing and, if you think about it, logical take on the situation. At the end of this almost masterfully put together first hour there's a strange death scene however, which is justified in the movie, but I can see people having an issue with it.

2. Here come the problems (and not just the not ginger Jenny Alsen). This is basically an alien invasion/action movie in which Snyder lets his inner child blow s**t up, just without the slow mo.

I'm just going to say: the action is great, made even better with the HD handheld camera perspective and the sound audio effects (along with Hans Zimmer's score of course) and the CGI is amazing. Thrown punches really do have impact and combatant characters don't look like rag dolls on ropes (I'm looking at you, X-Men Origins). Amy Adams is the best Lois Lane in a long time, Laurence Fishburne plays a great white (punpunpuuun) guy (note to Goyer: Perry NEVER says and never would've said "Now's not the time for journalistic integrity!"), Cavill is actually a perfect fit for the big blue boyscout and Shannon is (somehow) just serviceable; but the menacing Faora (played by Antje Traue) steals the show for the time she's on screen. Oh, and the Lois (at that point he didn't have the name, so let's call him) Hopeman interrogation scene was awesome.

Not quite this awesome though.

Now for the major (yet minor... Well, f***k you too!) flaws:

- Superman punches Zod into Smallville when there's nothing but wide open (uninhabited) fields surrounding them. That's now very cost or human life friendly there, Clarkie. AND right after this Martha Kent remains with Faora and a Kryptonian Pain and Gain reject AND THEY DON'T KIDNAP HER; because who needs leverage against Superman?

- Necessary (almost like racism in Transformers) military-bro eye bonding moments. Because nothing says America more than the good old (red, white Blue Steel.

- Unnecessarily long action scene with a dubstep squid robot/ship, but I'm okay with that. Even spell check hates dubstep and so should Superman. If Skrillex is Lex Luthor in Batman vs Superman, I'm giving it 10/10 right now, because yes, dubstep is humanity's biggest enemy. Right after Adam Sandler.

- The only Kryptonian scientist has a (glorious and) heavy German accent; in case you haven't noticed that the genocidal aliens with superiority complex are space Nazis.

- Another controversial death scene that really could have been executed, pun intended, better.

- More people die than there are Justin Bieber fans in Kansas, yet they don't get any kind of a memorial service or ceremony and that's just cold. If the movie specified they really were Girl Wonder followers, it would be a different story.

A final and omnipresent flaw of the movie is the lack of humor. It's unfortunate, but the character stuff evens that out. The guy with the weight of the world on his shoulders needs some light hearted moments every now and then.

In all seriousness, as you may have noticed, most of the problems are minor and my biggest flaw (the easy separation in 2 parts) isn't even a one if you don't mind heavy, dense action. Maybe it might have been a good idea to mix punches with tears and words a little bit more often for the sake of more action-phobic movie goers. Irregardless, Snyder still does far more right than wrong and this is definitely a huge step forward for him as a director.

So, Man of Steel soared mightily, stumbled a bit at the last few yards, but still reached the Sun without falling. It's one of my favorite movies of the year, along with Iron Man 3 (I’m guessing up until I see Elysium).
mg08garkAug 20, 2013
Although rather loosely based on the Superman story, this movie provides a fantastic kick start for a new superman. In a era of Iron Man and The Avengers for the superman story to survive it needs to adapt. I believe this movie is a step inAlthough rather loosely based on the Superman story, this movie provides a fantastic kick start for a new superman. In a era of Iron Man and The Avengers for the superman story to survive it needs to adapt. I believe this movie is a step in that direction. Stunning special effects and strong performances from the leading actors makes for a must see movie. Expand
askewglassesAug 28, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. We start this re-boot of the Superman franchise respectively on Superman's home planet, Krypton. There we are told by Jor-El (Russel Crowe) that the Kyrptonians have used up their resources and that their planet won't last much longer. But their meeting is interrupted by a revolt, lead by the military General Zod (Michael Shannon). The planet is in turmoil, but during the revolution Jor-El manages to send his only son off the planet to escape the planet's doomed fate. Cut to thirty years later where we find Clark Kent (Henry Cavill) on a fishing vessel. An oil rig is on fire and he goes in to save the workers. We are told the rest of his story through a series of flashbacks as he continues on his journey to find his purpose. He was found by Martha and Jonathan Kent (Diane Lane and Kevin Costner respectively) and raised to hide his powers because his father believed the world wasn't ready for him. Clark now has to make the choice, whether he is ready for the responsibility or if he will continue to hide his true self.
The script written by David S. Goyer (known for co-writing Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy) is very well done and the dialogue sounds very good. But the film falls with the performances, nearly all of them don't give the energy or emotion that should come out of a script like this. It's sad to see this script go to waste.
On a visual aspect, the effects are very good for the most part but only when you can see them. The camera work in Man of Steel isn't all that great. If it's not a stationary shot then the camera is unbelievably shaky and the scenes are very hard to depict. Sadly though for being a film by director Zack Snyder, Man of Steel was rather lacking on great visuals, especially compared to his earlier films like Watchmen. Although we are left with one great moment that looks like it came straight out of a comic book and it's meaning sparked debate between my friends and myself.
And even though I've been complaining about a lot of the aspects of the film, I did have a good time watching it. The action was very intense and the ending was absolutely stupendous. I'm really excited to see where they will go if the producers decide to make a sequel. Overall it was a joy to see and it outshines the last reboot, Superman Returns, by a long shot.
JonjonjSep 11, 2013
This film could have been a great movie had they cut half of the action scenes which, by the way, were poorly directed and clumsily paced. I left the theater with a weird feeling of confusion...was it Superman or did I end up going to aThis film could have been a great movie had they cut half of the action scenes which, by the way, were poorly directed and clumsily paced. I left the theater with a weird feeling of confusion...was it Superman or did I end up going to a Godzilla movie by mistake... Expand
wallnutOct 13, 2013
all around it was good with things like effects, action, dialog and so on but i fell that the back story about Clark's past was a bit rushed but at least it was not to long
myperOct 21, 2013
After watching Man of Steel the first time I had mixed feelings, its was an amazing new take. Especially compared to the previous films. The was so much action going on throughout the film.
But after watching it for the second time i really
But after watching it for the second time i really appreciate this movie in all its own glory. The time was ripe for the new take on the franchise, and Zack did it great, from the actors to the abrupt ending which only show how much the superman character cares about all life in general! Great Movie the more you watch it and can't wait for the sequel!
ChangezAliOct 24, 2013
Finally a Superman movie the way it's supposed to be. Sure I had some minor problems with it (Lois' character ends up becoming a sidekick, some continuity issues), but overall, the directors do a great job of showing why he is the 'Man' ofFinally a Superman movie the way it's supposed to be. Sure I had some minor problems with it (Lois' character ends up becoming a sidekick, some continuity issues), but overall, the directors do a great job of showing why he is the 'Man' of Steel. There's moments of genuine tension because one actually doesn't know if Superman is going to be able to save the day. "How is he going to do it?" is a valid question in this film, unlike Brian Singer's 2006 martyr depicting disaster in which it was just assumed that Superman somehow wins (aside from the incredibly stupid plot). Focusing on the origin story also gives us insight into the superhero abilities of the character and the limits of his power; not the god like omnipotent Superman that critics love, but a superhero with abilities and powers that have weaknesses (otherwise Green Lantern would never be a match for Superman). This is a movie that will delight fans of the superhero and the comics, not over intellectualizing critics who love the 'idea' of Superman and what he represents. As for the action a nicely nefarious and destructive earth-destroying plot by the bad guys, fleshed out with some great graphics and art work. Good fight scenes that see Supe getting variously pummelled and also doling out some beatings. Again, that doesn't seem to appeal to the critics who slammed the film for 'too much action'. Dude, this is Superman; if you want character development, watch Pride and Prejudice. Ironically, the critics miss their own portentous pretentiousness when they at once claim the film is too sombre (I think it has an appropriately dark mood) and then ask why the characters and love story aren't the focus. Superman; action-film; ass kicking; excellent. They also seem to miss that Nolan and Snyder manage to masterfully highlight how being a child of two worlds is the central dichotomy of Superman's character and how it hurts him to be alone. It’s not a maudlin love for Lois Lane that’s tearing him apart, it’s the loss of his parents, his planet, his past, his people. He is evolutionarily superior to humans, but chooses to protect them out of love. That is the essence of the character, an idea that previous films have touched upon but never delved into, including the classic, but campy, 70's films. A lot of criticism focused on how the duality of Clark Superman is missing, while missing this obvious duality between the human and the alien that is actually what Superman is about. More to the point, comparisons to the previous ‘Nice-guy’ Superman of yore and the whole idea that the character has lost his ‘innocence’ are almost nauseating; the whole reason Superman is amazing is because he’s a bad-ass, not because he’s a nice guy. In the 70’s it was possible to be a nice guy, witty bad ass, like Chris Reeve, but that kind of humour is completely passé today. The film does have genuine moments of comedy, but they are situational and not forced or driven by an innate image of the character. This Superman is a genuine bad-ass, quite unlike Brendan Routh. Comparisons to The Avengers also miss the point; The Avengers’ quirky humour is a part of the Marvel universe; DC comics have always had a darker, more serious, tone to them that the producers put across well in this film. All in all, a film that critics are sure to hate but that audiences are sure to love. Expand
ISHTIAKOct 27, 2013
the best superman movie i've ever seen.....the origin of superman is so boldly represented at this movie which really is awesome. i like the appearance of superman very much. specially the costume is extraordinary than any other supermanthe best superman movie i've ever seen.....the origin of superman is so boldly represented at this movie which really is awesome. i like the appearance of superman very much. specially the costume is extraordinary than any other superman movies or series es. the actions were amazing. it sets superman as a real hero in each and every mind i think....... Expand
JohnLennondscNov 3, 2013
Simply the best movie of the year, Man of Steel, based on the story that counts, unique special effects, great actors, great director, could only leave a great movie too, thought of every detail so that pleased everyone, with a beginningSimply the best movie of the year, Man of Steel, based on the story that counts, unique special effects, great actors, great director, could only leave a great movie too, thought of every detail so that pleased everyone, with a beginning adventurer takes shape throughout the film breakneck action, battles worthy of a Superman story is consecrated with the flashbacks, Clark's parents, the planet Krypton, General. Eagerly looking forward to the sequel promises much more to come and the Justice League. Expand
wayne92Dec 8, 2013
Excellent movie, well done, Zack Snyder does a great job. Hand Nolan and Goyer of emotional moments that was noticeable, and I hope the sequel with a lot of spirit.
neurohop88Dec 8, 2013
Epic in scale but tight in focus, this is city-breaking action with a close eye on character and a great set-up for an exciting new franchise. Full review later.
J24OS90Dec 9, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A compelling gritty story and a different take on The Man Of Steel we've not seen on film before but closer to the comic book incarnation. You have to accept change and a different Superman to what you've seen in previous movies to like Man Of Steel a lot of critics have disliked this but gave Superman Return's a good review why i don't know because Man Of Steel cast wise, story and character interpretation and the new take of this character is so much more compelling, touching and action orientated. It's the Superman story and the musical score is brilliant not one minute of the movie do you think of the original score. I was amazed, you can't please all of the people. you get three set's of fan's the hardcore DC fan's who will understand this take and like and love the movie. The cinema goers who love Superhero movie's and will like this because they want to be entertained and come out and be wowed then the fan's who are picky, go to a cinema to be negative, go to a cinema to come out and say that was horrible i liked Superman return's even though a week they hated Superman Return's. Who ever hasn't seen Man Of Steel then ask the first & second category of movie goers. Expand
MortimerFeb 5, 2014
I do not like superman. This character is so fabulous and right that could not sympathize with the emu . Because he can stop time circled around the planet and moving planet. But Zack Snyder managed to bring it closer to the common man.I do not like superman. This character is so fabulous and right that could not sympathize with the emu . Because he can stop time circled around the planet and moving planet. But Zack Snyder managed to bring it closer to the common man. Snyder remade the image of Superman. He took off his red underpants over blue pants , showed us how difficult it is to him to accept the fact that he is not from this planet , and that's his fault so many people died .
Now opinion about the movie.

The film begins with a scene of birth of Superman ( Henry Cavill ) . General Zod ( Michael Shannon ) conceives revolution in krypton . Father of Superman 's ( Russell Crowe ) against Zod and kidnaps its confluence with the code body of Kal-El. He gives Kal-El write your opinion . Zod and his revolutionaries sent into space. Krypton explodes , and we came to earth .

Clark Kent seems to us exile rolling from one place to another. He lives with his adoptive mother, Martha Kent ( Diane Lane ) on the farm. Through a series of memories, we know from childhood moments Clark. As he realized who he really is , how he learned to cope with their own . Suddenly the earth invades General Zod to turn the land into a new Krypton . Superman must stop him .

Man of Steel appears to us a new reading of the classics, but it gives preference to the old films . Man of Steel is made beautifully and gloomy. In supervising Christopher Nolan film appears to us more realistic as Nolan Batman . The cast is simply gorgeous. Henry Cavill coped well with the role of Superman. It is perfectly suited to Superman physically . Amy Adams played well Lois Lane . But unfortunately it is not very good looks with Cavill . Michael Shannon has turned out one of the
best villains comic book movies . Superman 's father and stepfather turned out excellent. The film's soundtrack is very stressful and exciting .

verdict

Man of Steel is an excellent and intense film with a great cast and a gorgeous soundtrack. Man of Steel Superman best film since the days of Richard Donner film and best film in the comic books in 2013 .
Rating 4/5
leonardarkFeb 1, 2014
Es monumental, es ÉPICA, es colosal, tiene momentos emocionantes, que se me ponía la piel de gallina, por fin vemos a Superman haciendo cosas de Superman después de lo basura que fue Superman Returns, espero mas en la secuela.
jacob4May 27, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Zack Snyder has done again! Bringing another comic book story and its characters to the big screen! Though this movie might have had some no action, yawn inducing, and maybe boring moments with Clark Kent and Lois Lane or Martha and Jonathan Kent, fan-boys can't get enough out of the awesome action fight scenes between Superman and Zod and his minions. And how we watch in awe of how Superman and other characters are reimagined in incredible ways. And the lore and tragic backstory of Clark Kent is both heart wrenching and interesting. Also even though Lex Luthor isn't in the movie, two Easter eggs foreshadow his appearance in the sequel. There are two scenes that show trucks that have the name Lex Corps on them! And best of all Superman is now renamed the "Man of Steel" complete with a new costume (with the undies not on the outside), and an even better theme song not composed by John Williams, but Hans Zimmer. For all those DC fans who are trying to find a descent enough DC movie, here's one that hopefully doesn't disappoint you that much like The Green Lantern, Jonah Hex, or even Catwoman did. Expand
adpirtleJun 20, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel isn't a bad film by any means. It's just not the thrilling adventure film it should have been. Everything starts off well. The opening 20 minute retelling of Kal-el's escape from dying Krypton plays like its own epic action short. The setting is so wildly rendered and Jor-el (Russel Crowe) makes for such a compelling hero that I found myself wishing that was the focus of the picture, particularly after I'd seen the rest of it.

The rest of the film's first hour focuses on young Clark Kent's upbringing, and his struggle to discover, control and conceal his powers, and it's less successful. Part of this has to do with director Zack Snyder's (and producer Christopher Nolan's) gritty, realistic approach. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane do great work portraying Clark's adoptive parents, but something just doesn't feel right about Pa Kent telling Clark that "maybe" he should have let his schoolmates drown rather than risk revealing what he could do, or Clark's allowing his father figure to sacrifice himself years later in a twister rather than use his powers to save him in front of a crowd of people.

However, it's the third part of the film that really comes off the rails. I actually enjoyed watching Superman and Lois Lane confront Zod and his minions right up to the point where Supes lost his cool, the result being the leveling of Smallvile. The Superman I know wouldn't have put all those lives at risk by bringing his fight to main street. Then, when the proverbial feces really hits the fan, Metropolis itself is heedlessly decimated. Finally, the ridiculous scenario staged to "make" Superman kill Zod actually made me laugh out loud.
GameChangeJul 28, 2014
This movie was great, It was a game changer for comic book movies, it change the tone from usually seeing childish superheros to a more serious superhero who does not take crap from anyone. The visual effects were absolutely stunning, ZackThis movie was great, It was a game changer for comic book movies, it change the tone from usually seeing childish superheros to a more serious superhero who does not take crap from anyone. The visual effects were absolutely stunning, Zack Snyder is a pure genius. Henry Cavil is a perfect Superman, he did a fantastic job, Michael Shannon as General Zod was brilliant to the point where he made you hate his character Expand
RobobobNov 28, 2015
I guess the DC fans are working very hard to improve the score of this movie. Notice all of the recent glowing reviews for a movie that's a couple years old. Truth is, that it is a very average movie. Usually when I rate a movie I think ofI guess the DC fans are working very hard to improve the score of this movie. Notice all of the recent glowing reviews for a movie that's a couple years old. Truth is, that it is a very average movie. Usually when I rate a movie I think of a list of things I 'like" against things I "dislike." With this movie I can only think of 2 likes. Henry Cavill is a great Superman and I like the art style and design choices for things like the opening act on Krypton. Other than that I can list many things that don't make sense but a fan online will just argue with you or make grand assumptions. How can Superman be negatively affected by atmospherics (is that a word?) when he can survive in space without breathing? How is Superman powered by our "yellow" sun when it is actually white but our atmosphere changes it's color throughout the day? How does his father just conveniently disappear into a tornado instead of gets tossed around like a semi-truck? How can Zod adjust to Earth in mere hours when it took Clark years of his life? How can Lois Lane survive Arctic weather in a small coat when the Army guy said she would easily freeze overnight?
Too many silly questions that get an easy pass by the super fans.
felix99gomezNov 12, 2014
Zack Snyder delivers a great start to a new cinematic universe, presenting us with a modern and more mature look at Superman. Though its more mature tone results in endless scenes of destruction which, gets repetitive and boring after aZack Snyder delivers a great start to a new cinematic universe, presenting us with a modern and more mature look at Superman. Though its more mature tone results in endless scenes of destruction which, gets repetitive and boring after a while. With that said, Henry Cavill is this new generation's Superman, and not only does he look the part, but he feels like The Man of Steel. The movie definitely has some pacing issues, and the way it was shot was too bleak and shaky, I would have preferred to see a more colorful and steady movie. The movie has some plot holes and is oddly paced, but it's still one awesome ride and a good way to start DC's cinematic universe. Expand
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"Man of Steel" 10 Scale Rating: 9.0 (Amazing) ...

"Man of Steel" 10 Scale Rating: 9.0 (Amazing) ...

The Good: Superman is finally updated and made relevant to the masses. Is it an exact interpretation of the comic book character? No, it isn't. It is a modern Superman for a modern world and is extremely well done. Well acted, especially Cavill, Shannon, and Crowe. This is how a super hero franchise should start and I was impressed with the depth of the script. The flashbacks were extremely well done and helped move the movie along by skipping past yet another origin story in the opening act. The sci-fi elements and stressing that Superman is indeed an alien was a good call. Clark is isolated and alone, which was far more realistic than one would expect. Exceptional fight scenes that put the sheer magnitude of the powers involved on display.

The Bad: During the final battles, the sheer amount of damage done and death was dizzying. It got to the point where I actually said aloud "Why is anyone still in the area?!?!" Some people are annoyed that Superman didn't save everyone, but that was sort of the point ... he can't save everyone. Shannon was up to the task and Zod was very cool, but came across as more than a little ham-fisted at times. I would have liked him to be more of a combination of wits and force instead of relying almost solely on power.
ClayMerrittJun 19, 2013
Not the perfect Superman movie, but its the best one. Some people want to be nostalgic and still say the first Superman with Christopher Reeves. That's wrong. Regardless of how nostalgic they want to be, they're wrong quite frankly. ThereNot the perfect Superman movie, but its the best one. Some people want to be nostalgic and still say the first Superman with Christopher Reeves. That's wrong. Regardless of how nostalgic they want to be, they're wrong quite frankly. There were numerous things within the story that really bothered me, especially the end with Zod. Anyway, it was a fun movie to watch. A very enjoyable superhero movie. Warner Bros. green lit the sequel, and I expect the sequel to be better. The origin story was necessary due to the reboot, however, I felt like they spent a little too much time on it. We GET IT. HE'S AN ALIEN. I felt that was excessively pushed that he wasn't human. Anyway, I recommend it if you're a DC fan or even a Superhero fan. Its hard to make a Superman film, but Zack Snyder & Christopher Nolan did a damn good job. Expand
DarbyDickinsonOct 31, 2013
this movie sucks so badly. i think superman return 2006 was better then this crap.............................. F THIS MOVIE...................................................................it sucks. the acting is terrible and the actionthis movie sucks so badly. i think superman return 2006 was better then this crap.............................. F THIS MOVIE...................................................................it sucks. the acting is terrible and the action isnt very good Expand
Prodigy2013Jun 16, 2013
Man of Steel is finally here and what can I say… it was as entertaining as it was disappointing. In this film Clarke Kent seeks answers about t his home world, Krypton, and tries to grapple with his responsibilities here on Earth. Of-course,Man of Steel is finally here and what can I say… it was as entertaining as it was disappointing. In this film Clarke Kent seeks answers about t his home world, Krypton, and tries to grapple with his responsibilities here on Earth. Of-course, while all this is going on, the evil (and programmed) General Zod threatens Earth’s very existence. The first part of the film is filled with some excellent Clarke Kent and Krypton back stories that were elevated by the performances of Kevin Costner (Jonathon Kent) and Russell Crowe (Jor-El); the two father’s of this film. I must give Henry Cavill a hand for maintaining the win streak of fantastic Superman performances. While Christopher Reeve captured the charm of Superman and Brandon Routh did a slightly brooding interpretation, Cavill excelled at capturing the physicality of the Man of Steel. With all these high marks remaining constant; the beautiful introduction gave way to bloated, explosive action sequences. The action was unhinged and needed some serious taming, because it didn’t afford the filmmakers anytime to develop our other characters or elevate the plot. And the story itself, as effective as it may be, didn’t really cover any new ground. This Zack Snyder is a director who can always create a nice looking film, the world of Krypton in particularly is brought beautifully to the screen. He’s also always able to focus on those minute visual details like those frame-for-frame shots from Watchmen and 300 that were taken straight from the comic book. In this case I-Hop restaurants and other familiar settings litter the background of every scene to make the audience aware of the ‘real world’ setting in which this movie takes place. These are all nice splashes, but ultimately he is never able to look at the big picture: Story, Plot and Character! These are the things that truly determine the strength of a film, everything else is secondary. It’s unfortunate that the action and aesthetics took precedence, but this was decent summer entertainment that should be seen on the big screen. Expand
JasonAngellJun 19, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (Contains some spoilers)
After viewing Man of Steel I found that I was talking myself into having a positive reaction for it. Now don't confuse this for a condemnation, there was plenty to like about the newest iteration of the Superman story, but there was a lot to be critical of as well. Let's start with the good stuff.

The most exciting and perfect part of Man of Steel had to be the man himself. Henry Cavill was an excellent choice to play the last son of Krypton. His physical presence never sways far from the center of the film, as it should be when talking about THE superhero of superheroes. Looks, brawn, and a subtle magnetism combine to give us the most believable Superman since the late Christopher Reeve. That said, there was too much brooding and emotional detachment brought to the character this time around. I don't necessarily blame Cavill for this as much as I blame the writer (David S. Goyer) and the director (Zack Snyder). While gritty realism and a darker, foreboding landscape has become the post-9/11 norm in cinema, it does not work in the world of Superman, who has always been an optimistic beacon of hope in the comic and film world. I think a little too much Dark Knight crept into the screenplay and creative input from Goyer and Nolan.
Other members of the cast were equally excellent in supporting roles. Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner deliver as the two fathers of Kal-El/Clark Kent. Michael Shannon makes us almost sympathetic for the formidable General Zod in the end. Amy Adams, while not a standout in this cast, turns out an worthy performance as the tenacious reporter who will eventually steal the heart of Superman.
Also of note are the stunning visual effects, refreshing when this well done.

Although there was enough in this film to make me hopeful for some even better sequels in the future, there was also enough in this particular film to cause some concern. There was so much content in the form of origin, flashbacks, exposition, and the overly drawn out final confrontation in this film that the pacing suffered as a result. There was simply too much story to tell in too little time. The franchise would have been much better served had they left several backstory elements for future films. Also of concern was the tremendous lack of character development of anyone outside of Superman and Zod. I kept anticipating a scene where we could get some Superman/Lois connection, maybe not a deep emotional bond, but something other than random flirtation. The frantic pacing and need for overlong building destruction was what we got instead. Seriously, if I saw another random building come crashing down I was going to scream. There is no way they can rebuild a city after all that, it would take a century, even with Superman's help.

My greatest irritation with the movie was the way in which Johnathan Kent was killed. Anyone who knows even a little about the story of Clark Kent knows that his adopted father dies when hes a teenager, and it's important to keep that part of the story because it was such a pivotal moment in the character's history. However, to have Jonathan tell Clark to watch him die in a tornado just to protect his secret seemed a little unbelievable. No one, not even Superman, would stand idly by and watch their father die when they could have saved him. Not even to protect his secret, not ever.

All that being said, I thought it was a noble first effort to reboot a storied franchise. The film did an excellent job of setting up a classic superhero in the midst of our modern world. I eagerly await the much higher potential that this story can climb, or fly, to.
WhiteJul 7, 2013
This movie proves that to be a critic you must be at the very least retarded.

MoS is by far the best action movie of this Millennium. If you like Special Effects, Epic Fights and not dumped movies like lets say ....Iron Man 3? The
This movie proves that to be a critic you must be at the very least retarded.

MoS is by far the best action movie of this Millennium.

If you like Special Effects, Epic Fights and not dumped movies like lets say ....Iron Man 3? The Amazing Spiderman? Avengers?....and you do not want your intelligence get offended cause the director was retarded.....Watch Man of Steel.

If you want an action movie that the starring hero/ superhero, is not some half-way comedian punk that his powers some times are ON some times are OFF Watch Man of Steel.

If you want to see a superhero actually using his brain... Watch Man of Steel.

If you want a superhero movie that isn't made for making 16year old girs getting in love with the starring actor........Watch Man of Steel.

Last but not least, so far and if my memory serves well (apart from Nolan's Batman) Its the only Superhero movie that actually explains every single detail.

This is a dark, epic, serious, well made action superhero movie.
Its not supposed to be funny, nor romantic, nor for kids.
McParadigmJun 15, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Easy steps to a better movie:

1. Don't try to pack so much stuff in on Krypton. Put the societal and environmental decay in the background, as context. Then, have Zod and Maximus argue about the best way forward, give us some touching dialog between the man and his wife with the mismatched accent, and then have Kal's Superpod lift off to a backdrop of the pseudo-nuclear beginnings of civil war. That way we don't see Zod LOSING both militarily and in a fist fight against a scientist in the first 20 minutes of film. Fill in the other stuff with the hologram and Zod's speeches later.

2. Have little Clark try to help, somehow, and screw up. If the bully had bothered other kids, and Clark had decided to scare him or respond when nobody was looking only to accidentally almost seriously injure the kid...it would have added a lot of weight and gravitas to both Bill Durham's otherwise alarming speeches and the kid's later frustrated efforts to remain passive. The oil rig would then be a pivotal moment in his character growth. "Oh, wow....I really can save these people, if I'm careful."

3. Make it rain. Even in Kansas, tornado out of nowhere is not a typical event. Why was it deemed a bad idea to have it be raining? Also, when has there even been that much traffic in a place where a Kevin Costner character might believably live? I grew up in South Dakota, and not even a high school football game creates that much traffic (and that's about the biggest thing that happens in those areas). Does he have a field of dreams opening up nearby, perhaps? Put a storm in there, lose half the cars from the shot, and have his foot get caught when the approaching disaster whips a car while he's helping the mother...the whole "going back at the last minute to save the dog" stuff is as tired as it is corny. Please.

4. Shoo the kids away from the closet. It's bad enough that the teachers just let them stand around gossiping while the child has a breakdown....but then his mom doesn't care, either? It's a weird backdrop for what could be a very touching scene. It's not like Clark couldn't HEAR and SEE them mock him if they were in the classroom, right? You gained nothing from having them there.

5. Have somebody else kill Zod. Maybe, as Zod taunts and dares him to finish him off and Superman howls in frustration, torn between not wanting to kill and needing to save that family, Lois Kryptoknifes the guy and resolves the issue. That gives us somewhere to go in the next film. If Superman is willing to kill when the need arrives, you've really just ditched one of the primary psychological facets that informs his internal drama (the other being his loneliness, which you've also ditched). Now, all he has is a fear of cloudy days and a whole lot of superpowers.

6. Reduce the destruction by 50%. If you only wrecked 11 buildings, and only killed a baker's dozen of soldiers and civies, none of us would have walked out going "Wow...lame!" How are you going to up the stakes in a sequel? You've killed thousands (at least), had Superman purposefully end a villain with his bare hands and make choices in battle that intentionally put humans at risk (including grabbing a bad guy from a remote location and willingly hurling him through various populated buildings in a nearby town). What's left to do?

7. Don't explain everything. The scene with the scientist looking at the circle (earth, natch) and the squiggly lines and immediately intuiting (with lots of scientific babble) that they were terraforming earth was a Michael Bay-level cheeseball of a moment, and unneeded. The machine is called something like a World Engine or something. You've already told us what it does. Don't try to explain how...please. And don't tell us how Zod modded his ride to get to earth, either. It's a spaceship, built by a race that colonized the stars. We wouldn't have rolled our eyes if you'd left that out. All the explaining helped make "alien weird" look and feel a lot more just "future earth"y.

Do these things, and you'd have a much better movie methinks.
dijavantewowJun 18, 2013
This movie had great special effects, but the plot, the characters, the acting, the rest was all just meh. I don't ever feel like I care about any of the characters. There was no amazing performance by any of the actors to blow someone awayThis movie had great special effects, but the plot, the characters, the acting, the rest was all just meh. I don't ever feel like I care about any of the characters. There was no amazing performance by any of the actors to blow someone away like Heath Ledger as The Joker. This was just a summer blockbuster to make money, not a good movie and kickoff of a franchise. Expand
StriderKiwiJun 21, 2013
Not gonna lie, this is the worst Superman movie. Even the God awful musical from the mid seventies stands tall over this diarrhea-fest. People have said that it's like Dragon Ball Z, but I think those people are like Peter Griffin in thatNot gonna lie, this is the worst Superman movie. Even the God awful musical from the mid seventies stands tall over this diarrhea-fest. People have said that it's like Dragon Ball Z, but I think those people are like Peter Griffin in that THEY'RE MORONS. The plot is soooo freaking cliche and boring, everyone but superman is poorly developed (if at all) and acting abounds. The fights are lame and somehow less interesting than those in Transformers 3. I really don't see how anyone likes this movie and there's already a sequel in the works so perhaps next time we'll get a good villain and a good actor to play him unlike this time around... Expand