7.6

1. Jun 14, 2013
    a diferencia del otro superman este esta cargado de mas acción tiene una mejor historia una actuaciones increíbles, y lo mejor es que en ningún momento de la película uno sufre aburrimiento
  2. Jun 16, 2013
    Crappy screenplay overblown piece of junk. Highly disappointed. Could have been so much better. Superman looks like wonder women with short hair. A disaster to DC and anyone who was apart of this movie
  3. Apr 21, 2014
    Well of course a year before it came out, many people were wondering "Do we really need yet another Superman movie ?!?" The answer was clearly No after seeing this flop. A few positive notes first; I do like Amy Adams in her part as well as Kevin Costner and I'd say the buildup in the first third of the movie as Clark was growing up wasn't terrible. The biggest problem was in the end whenWell of course a year before it came out, many people were wondering "Do we really need yet another Superman movie ?!?" The answer was clearly No after seeing this flop. A few positive notes first; I do like Amy Adams in her part as well as Kevin Costner and I'd say the buildup in the first third of the movie as Clark was growing up wasn't terrible. The biggest problem was in the end when you have the inevitable battle with a bad guy; one of those battles that just goes on and on and on ...and on and on. it was ridiculous. Keep in mind its one of those situations where of course Supermnan is essentially indestructible and of course his nemesis is almost equally indestructible, yet they endlessly throw each other through buidlings, throw cars and trucks at each other, bury themselves under tons of concrete and metal... but neither one is hurt of course so you just get totally bored with it. This was a total waste and 143 minutes of my life i will never get back. Expand
  4. Aug 13, 2013
    A generally excellent film. Superman's new look really works with the modern superhero image. The script was weak at times, with a few cheap, unnecessary cliche lines toward the end of the movie. Go figure. Getting a look back on Superman's past was a nice touch to the movie. After all, this is a prequel. There was almost never a boring moment.
  5. Apr 20, 2014
    It's not really fantastic, it's not really bad. If you love the explosions and lights and things flying around, this is a good way to spend 2 hours. The plot is basic, the characters are all kinda flat and one dimensional, but it was fun seeing a lot of smaller actors as side roles.
  6. Dec 17, 2013
    More of the way over the top special effects attempting to make up for lack of story and characterization. Not surprised given that Zack Snyder directed. Only plus: ability to fast-forward through the interminably stupid fight scenes since I rented it from Red Box.
  7. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have never been a big fan of Superman. I even would go so far as to say he is my least favorite superhero. Is it being heroic to risk nothing to save an ant? Not quite. And to superman we would all be ants. So any movie about him has traditionally played up his two weaknesses most of the time. This movie does a good job of not making Lois Lane a weakness at all. As to the krypton stuff. There were no glowing green rocks in this one although that got substituted for a "foreign atmosphere" thing which, in a way, is more believable.
    The villain general Zod is both logical and convincing. His "evil" plot is not overly complex and is rational at all times. So even if the actor brought nothing extra to the role it would be "good enough" in the villain department. Certainly a lot better than some previous films that don't deserve mention.
    The bulk of the film is a smash fest with Superman and general Zod's army of 5 or 6 loyal henchmen duking it out. Quite often while they are being shot at by people from the army who don't realize after the first clip how ineffective bullets are. People who came to watch destruction are sure to get their fill.
    I also have to give top marks to the scenes at the beginning with Krypton. They do a good job making the world alien but still familiar. The technology and politics are top notch sci fi and not some cheesy throw away as they have been previously.
    With regards to supporting cast Kevin Costner does a good job playing Superman's "dad." He almost gives more to the roll than Russel Crowe puts into his surprisingly large roll as Jor-El. Both of them are a credit to the film. Laurence Fishburne is also a surprising face playing Lois's boss (name?) though he is little more than a bit player in the film he adds warmth to it. Him and Costner are the only two to do so.
    That would be my main criticism of the film. It's cut together OK. Shot a bit stylistically, but visually quite good CG'd up the wazoo. Top marks to the 600+ artists who worked full time on that. But in the end all the flashbacks add sadness and darkness for the most part and are not the inspirational warmth they are intended to be.
    It may be the impossible, a "good" superman movie. But it isn't great and I have a hard time imagining it spawning any sequels. Although I wouldn't mind seeing a prequel starring Russel Crowe.
  8. Aug 31, 2014
    "A good death is its own reward" - Faora

A superhero movies ..not really what i like.Maybe this is why i give score "5".I don't know, not caught my attention.
  9. Nov 11, 2013
    Cavill is convincing as Superman, the visual effects are of top quality and there is a lot of destruction. Unfortunately the plot is predictable, the battles are more like a show than a dramatic struggle to save the Earth (Superman is completely unharmed, entire city blocks collapse but no civilians are killed) and Amy Smart is boring as Lois. It's a good Superman movie but it's notCavill is convincing as Superman, the visual effects are of top quality and there is a lot of destruction. Unfortunately the plot is predictable, the battles are more like a show than a dramatic struggle to save the Earth (Superman is completely unharmed, entire city blocks collapse but no civilians are killed) and Amy Smart is boring as Lois. It's a good Superman movie but it's not exciting.
    argonautis.eu
  10. Dec 13, 2014
    If we are upholding Superman standards as we should be, this is a let down. Henry Cavill's performance is mediocre and the fact that it is a remake is an anti-climax. I never felt overly involved in the action nor the story, and for a Superman film, that is saying something. If we were being kind we could say that it plays it safe, or we could tell the truth and say that it is just notIf we are upholding Superman standards as we should be, this is a let down. Henry Cavill's performance is mediocre and the fact that it is a remake is an anti-climax. I never felt overly involved in the action nor the story, and for a Superman film, that is saying something. If we were being kind we could say that it plays it safe, or we could tell the truth and say that it is just not that good. Fans will be generous and applaud it's efforts, but heed my warning, don't go into it with big expectations. Expand
  11. Jun 28, 2013
    I was so looking forward to seeing it after all the great looking trailers, but this is a mess and the worst movie i have ever seen. Everything was a mess. Long, boring and predictable like every other stupid summer blockbuster.
  12. Jun 14, 2013
    i don't care about what critics says...man of steel is outstanding,the visuals were spectacular! the best abot this superman film is powerful mindblowing action scenes.....man of steel is so far the best action movie of 2013 yet...!!! i five rating 9 out of 10
  13. Dec 30, 2014
    makes all the other supermans look average, plenty of action and destroying stuff. Like the spaceships but found the bit parts for supermans dad and daily planet chief to be boring and out of place.
  14. Jan 15, 2015
    An interesting proposal for the superhero genre is to present a fresh and modern Superman, but also dark and realistic. It's not been suitable the direction taken by Zack Snyder, but not bad either. Even so, this movie saves itself thanks to its good plot, narrative, actings and visuals. (71 - 100)
  15. May 3, 2015
    Cavill is a great superman! he really is! unfortuantly the film drags a bit and the action scenes drag on to much! but a really interesting movie and way to tell this story
  16. Jun 15, 2013
    What a brilliant movie it is up there with The Dark Night for me it is that good. There is a great cast some amazing special effects loads of action for a 2 hour plus movie it never drags and there is some nice additions to the story ,Michael Shannon is just becoming one of my favorite actors he plays the role of General Zod so well, all in all this is a must see movie its a easy 10 out of 10.
  17. Jun 19, 2013
    Not the perfect Superman movie, but its the best one. Some people want to be nostalgic and still say the first Superman with Christopher Reeves. That's wrong. Regardless of how nostalgic they want to be, they're wrong quite frankly. There were numerous things within the story that really bothered me, especially the end with Zod. Anyway, it was a fun movie to watch. A very enjoyableNot the perfect Superman movie, but its the best one. Some people want to be nostalgic and still say the first Superman with Christopher Reeves. That's wrong. Regardless of how nostalgic they want to be, they're wrong quite frankly. There were numerous things within the story that really bothered me, especially the end with Zod. Anyway, it was a fun movie to watch. A very enjoyable superhero movie. Warner Bros. green lit the sequel, and I expect the sequel to be better. The origin story was necessary due to the reboot, however, I felt like they spent a little too much time on it. We GET IT. HE'S AN ALIEN. I felt that was excessively pushed that he wasn't human. Anyway, I recommend it if you're a DC fan or even a Superhero fan. Its hard to make a Superman film, but Zack Snyder & Christopher Nolan did a damn good job. Expand
  18. Jul 1, 2013
    If we think of a super hero, almost ninety percent of us will think about Superman. When I think of one of the best movies this year, I personally think about "Man of Steel". But just because it's a great movie doesn't mean it's flawless. Some emotions feel forced, forgotton, or simply ignored, and from one moment to another, Clark Kent simply becomes Superman. There's no building tensionIf we think of a super hero, almost ninety percent of us will think about Superman. When I think of one of the best movies this year, I personally think about "Man of Steel". But just because it's a great movie doesn't mean it's flawless. Some emotions feel forced, forgotton, or simply ignored, and from one moment to another, Clark Kent simply becomes Superman. There's no building tension to him realising, discovering and exploring his posiblities as a super hero, they just throw the costume into his hands and bam, you have Superman. This is one of the biggest downsides of the movie, but that doesn't mean it's a complete mess. Expand
  19. Jun 19, 2013
    Extremely entertaining. A very interesting look at the world of Superman. Very much enjoyed the action sequences and the film's cinematography. Lost me a few times with it's cheesy moments, but that's expected from a summer blockbuster. Looking forward to seeing it again.
  20. Jun 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel is by no means a bad film but it clearly is too loaded, especially for a film which is bound to have the benefit of one or more sequels. Imagine the batman trilogy but with all the plot points established in a week. Clark Kent (well played in all fairness by Henry Cavill) goes from saving kids on a bus as a teen, to saving workers on an oil rig to... destroying towns and cities while battling a small army of similar strengthed supermen. Entertaining, yes, but its all too much. The film suffers from some silliness in trying to get its emotional beats particularly during the final scene where Zod is about to kill four innocent people despite both he and Superman levelling much of metropolis without a care in the world during a (has to be said) visual stunning fist fight.

All that said, Man of Steel is an enjoyable re-spin of Superman and sets up the main characters well. Maybe I would have warmed more to it if the threat of Zod (Michael Shannon is quite good in the few scenes we get with him) was merely introduced, and left for the sequel. But its overlong and I cant help but feel that maybe DC or Warners wanted something to rival Avengers a bit too much. I look forward to a sequel but part of me wonders how they can up the stakes on what happens in this first movie.
  21. Jun 17, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I have watched all the 5 previous Superman films. Superman II was the best, followed by I, III, Returns and IV.
    Review: This is unfortunately another failure at rebooting the franchise as had happened with Superman Returns. The problem with this film, as with Returns is that it is simply DULL. OMG! Things move so slowly! There is poor chemistry between Superman and Lois and the action scenes were overdone till they were boring.
  22. Mar 1, 2014
    This movie had good things and bad. I'm a fan of Superman in general, so there's always something I'd like about a Superman movie. It had some exciting moments. However, this adaptation was missing a lot of the classic elements that make superhero stories so likable. The biggest thing that bugged me is that he never has a secret from Lois. She knows that he has super powers from theThis movie had good things and bad. I'm a fan of Superman in general, so there's always something I'd like about a Superman movie. It had some exciting moments. However, this adaptation was missing a lot of the classic elements that make superhero stories so likable. The biggest thing that bugged me is that he never has a secret from Lois. She knows that he has super powers from the night she meets him, and she knows him as Clark soon after. Also, the two of them had little dialogue during the movie, so it was weird when they got together at the end. I kept thinking "but you don't even really know her..." and we really didn't as the audience either. We got the Kal-El/Clark Kent backstory, but other than that, there was little character development. They didn't feel like real people we cared about. This movie focused a lot on action and didn't have time for dialogue or characters...and some people like the action scenes, but I personally am not into that. I care more about the characters and that they have believability as real people. One of the critiques I hear a lot from people comparing super heroes is that they don't like superman because he's too perfect and inhuman. This movie has more of a gritty, dark Clark Kent, so I guess he's more human in a way, but he seemed like a cold, brooding jerk, and not like someone I wanted to know. I would prefer to see the Superman franchise go for more of a likable, relatable Clark Kent. Expand
  23. Nov 19, 2013
    Yeah, this was not very good at all, and a borderline Turd. I payed $5.99 to watch it, and I'm still not able to look in the mirror. Too many cheeseball lines, that couldn't be saved by good actors. In the middle of a catastrophic battle with aliens on a main street, was it necessary for Superman to say "Stay inside, it's not safe"?. No, it wasn't. Also, Dad...if you ever read this review,Yeah, this was not very good at all, and a borderline Turd. I payed $5.99 to watch it, and I'm still not able to look in the mirror. Too many cheeseball lines, that couldn't be saved by good actors. In the middle of a catastrophic battle with aliens on a main street, was it necessary for Superman to say "Stay inside, it's not safe"?. No, it wasn't. Also, Dad...if you ever read this review, I want you to know that you can count on me to save you from dying in a tornado I don't care if they find out I'm really fast. Expand
  24. Jun 15, 2013
    Finally Superman was given a just reboot! Henry Cavill plays the role well and is perfectly fit for the it. The screenplay was well-written, decent. Visual effects were fantastic while sound and editing were well done. The cast delivered beyond satisfactory. A motion picture-of-the-year material. Man of Steel is this decade's The Dark Knight (2008).

movienotesbook.blogspot.com
  25. Jun 17, 2013
    I judge movies based on what they promise versus what they deliver. The first MoS trailer and the following trailers promised a deep story centered on Clark and his quest on finding his place in the world to ultimately become the savior of humanity, this is what they were teasing in a nutshell. But instead what we got is a glorified Transformers-like movie: no real characters, no deepI judge movies based on what they promise versus what they deliver. The first MoS trailer and the following trailers promised a deep story centered on Clark and his quest on finding his place in the world to ultimately become the savior of humanity, this is what they were teasing in a nutshell. But instead what we got is a glorified Transformers-like movie: no real characters, no deep story, mostly stuff exploding for half the movie. The screenplay is particularly inept, it tries to cram so many insignificant details (do we absolutely need to know what the codex thingy came from or look like for example...) at the expense of smooth transitions (scenes can literally jump from two people in a room to them standing in the desert), character development (the characters are cardboard cut outs, and no, 3 flashbacks of 5 mins are not enough to actually flesh out a character sorry), and most importantly storytelling: indeed the whole movie is constructed like one giant exposition, you spend most of the time catching up on things that already happened instead of having the story naturally unfold before you, and it's not a particularly interesting or original one at that. So in conclusion, my hat's off to the marketing team, because they did a hell of a job hyping up this movie and making it look like something worthy of interest, I just wish the actual filmmakers could have been as competent as them. Expand
  26. May 17, 2015
    The film is good, the story so that is good, the action is kind of exaggerated, it may be a negative point of the film, and lacked a bit of concern Superman with Metropolis, he destroyed a great part of town with their struggle with Zod, that I also found another negative point of the film.
  27. Feb 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Up Up and a Waste

What is this noise? This nonsense? Does anyone truly like this trash? Is this a re-boot or Superman V going off the charts?

These are some of the questions I muttered to myself while enduring the punishment of sitting through Goyer/Snyder's Man of Steel. This post- modern, piecemeal picture provides us with a perfect example of what's wrong with movies today. You get a lot of bangs for your bucks but little else. The real Man of Steal here is Goyer, who should be charged with 150 counts of plagiarism. At first I thought all of the stolen bits crammed together in the Dark Knight trilogy was Nolan's work. But now I see the blame lies with Goyer. Instead of luring us into a narrative the way Joss Whelon expertly does in The Avengers, Goyer keeps throwing us off. We can't get close to a Goyer-penned movie or really feel much of a connection to any of its characters. Why? Because the entire story feels like a hoax. A sham. Fraudulent. The only thing I can really sense is the writer feeling good about himself. But forcing a lot of clever little bits together doesn't make a complete and well-rounded story. Does anyone other than other post-modern architects like post-modern architecture?

And Snyder doesn't help the cause out much either. He is not a great director by any stretch of the imagination. He may not even be a good director. He's adequate. Take that to the bank. There is no Snyder signature or unique style. No well-honed skills much less practiced mastery. Out of his league here, he merely dekes his way through by going along with Goyer's hodge-podge of a script without adding much depth, definition, dimension, sensibility, intrigue or much of anything else to the movie. Some claim he's an expert with visual effects. Again, merely adequate. More does not make better. He's certainly not in the same league as Cameron, Scott, Gillian, Burton, Jackson, del Toro, Sommers or Verbinski. Any hack can rely on the Special Effects team and desaturate the colour.

And the incessant, superfluously over-the-top, non-stop, nose-bleeding, mind-numbing climax which must have squandered a hundred million dollars alone was so polluted with your typical crash-bang-smash-up-and-destroy effects, I found myself nodding off out of boredom. Has the concept of originality become that offensive to movie studios? Remember when cinema was the arena for great story-telling and television the place for trashy entertainment? When did it switch? Sometime between Burton's Batman and HBO's The Wire. The studios should save money by using the same sound effects track on the climax of every action movie. They all sound completely identical. Close your eyes, this could be the Transformers or Iron Man or any final action battle scene.

What a waste this was! The whole show! I felt bad for the actors and sorry for the producers. This was a bigger mess than any of the recent Batman movies (and that's saying a lot). The fact is WB/DC has no concrete plan much less a vision for its line-up of super-heroes. The Goyer-Snyder team-up cannot, by any stretch, be considered the World's Finest.

Not to be a complete hater, there are three things I liked about watching the Man of Steel. The space ships were very cool. The alien costumes were quite awesome. And my trip to the bathroom halfway through the movie was a big relief. I had to force myself back to watch, hoping the movie would redeem itself. Fat chance.

I used to be a big DC and Batman fan. But I now look forward more to Marvel's line-up of superhero movies than any future Bat-Supes bonanza. They should have given Wonder Woman to Whedon when they had the chance.

Actually, four things. Antje Traue as Kryptonian warrior Faori-UI was a treat (if Warner Bros had the smarts they'd dress her up for the next Catwoman. But I suspect Marvel will nab her first. I could see her alongside The Avengers).
  28. Jun 21, 2013
    Not gonna lie, this is the worst Superman movie. Even the God awful musical from the mid seventies stands tall over this diarrhea-fest. People have said that it's like Dragon Ball Z, but I think those people are like Peter Griffin in that THEY'RE MORONS. The plot is soooo freaking cliche and boring, everyone but superman is poorly developed (if at all) and acting abounds. The fights areNot gonna lie, this is the worst Superman movie. Even the God awful musical from the mid seventies stands tall over this diarrhea-fest. People have said that it's like Dragon Ball Z, but I think those people are like Peter Griffin in that THEY'RE MORONS. The plot is soooo freaking cliche and boring, everyone but superman is poorly developed (if at all) and acting abounds. The fights are lame and somehow less interesting than those in Transformers 3. I really don't see how anyone likes this movie and there's already a sequel in the works so perhaps next time we'll get a good villain and a good actor to play him unlike this time around... Expand
  29. Apr 21, 2014
    A truly exciting reboot to an iconic pre-established icon. Henry Cavil is a great Superman, Michael Shannon is a stoic yet entertaining zod, and the Snyder provides us with a adrenaline fueled look of a Kryptonians powers. Even though there may be one too many many action scenes, Amy Adams is a flat Lois Lane, and the lack of reaction from Superman witnessing 1000's being killed is notA truly exciting reboot to an iconic pre-established icon. Henry Cavil is a great Superman, Michael Shannon is a stoic yet entertaining zod, and the Snyder provides us with a adrenaline fueled look of a Kryptonians powers. Even though there may be one too many many action scenes, Amy Adams is a flat Lois Lane, and the lack of reaction from Superman witnessing 1000's being killed is not very 'Man of Steel'. It was still a very enjoyable popcorn flick. Expand
  30. Jul 26, 2013
    A horrible disappointment. Well-crafted enough to keep attention on the big screen, but I don't think this will translate well to TVs and other screens as time goes on. The back-story was very well done and touching in parts, but the lack of a real-time plot (they find him, a fight ensues, earth is saved) prevents it from paying off. This would have worked better as two separate moviesA horrible disappointment. Well-crafted enough to keep attention on the big screen, but I don't think this will translate well to TVs and other screens as time goes on. The back-story was very well done and touching in parts, but the lack of a real-time plot (they find him, a fight ensues, earth is saved) prevents it from paying off. This would have worked better as two separate movies one about the destruction of Krypton and the hunt for a new planet (including the show-down with Kal-El), and another with Superman discovering his place on earth. But the combined story doesn't work very well.

The fight scene is ludicrous and boring.
  31. Jul 6, 2013
    OH YA!!! This one is way better than I thought.... (just another superman movie... more & an over used DC franchise)... I have to say that for two and a half hours I was frequently & pleasantly surprised... Superb acting, very good story line and just plain fun to watch... This DVD is going to purchased for my 3D TV...
  32. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. We start this re-boot of the Superman franchise respectively on Superman's home planet, Krypton. There we are told by Jor-El (Russel Crowe) that the Kyrptonians have used up their resources and that their planet won't last much longer. But their meeting is interrupted by a revolt, lead by the military General Zod (Michael Shannon). The planet is in turmoil, but during the revolution Jor-El manages to send his only son off the planet to escape the planet's doomed fate. Cut to thirty years later where we find Clark Kent (Henry Cavill) on a fishing vessel. An oil rig is on fire and he goes in to save the workers. We are told the rest of his story through a series of flashbacks as he continues on his journey to find his purpose. He was found by Martha and Jonathan Kent (Diane Lane and Kevin Costner respectively) and raised to hide his powers because his father believed the world wasn't ready for him. Clark now has to make the choice, whether he is ready for the responsibility or if he will continue to hide his true self.
    The script written by David S. Goyer (known for co-writing Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy) is very well done and the dialogue sounds very good. But the film falls with the performances, nearly all of them don't give the energy or emotion that should come out of a script like this. It's sad to see this script go to waste.
    On a visual aspect, the effects are very good for the most part but only when you can see them. The camera work in Man of Steel isn't all that great. If it's not a stationary shot then the camera is unbelievably shaky and the scenes are very hard to depict. Sadly though for being a film by director Zack Snyder, Man of Steel was rather lacking on great visuals, especially compared to his earlier films like Watchmen. Although we are left with one great moment that looks like it came straight out of a comic book and it's meaning sparked debate between my friends and myself.
    And even though I've been complaining about a lot of the aspects of the film, I did have a good time watching it. The action was very intense and the ending was absolutely stupendous. I'm really excited to see where they will go if the producers decide to make a sequel. Overall it was a joy to see and it outshines the last reboot, Superman Returns, by a long shot.
  33. Dec 16, 2013
    It''s pretty funny that this is supposed to be the new grittier, hard edged Superman. This is just more Hollywood hokum it doesn't even rise to the level of psychobabble. We hear ad naseum that "you are the chosen one" and "I must choose between my people and my adopted people." What evs supiedupe...this pap is unbelievably shallow. The writers didn't even try.
    He wears a giant S on his
    He wears a giant S on his CGI unitard that we learn means "Hope" is that hope as in hopey-changy or is that just a team-building T-shirt? Come on, leave some mystery, like the S has some secret Kyptony meaning.
    This is supposed to be the now generations' movie yet when people in the street watch the 911 destruction of their city, they stand there with their mouths catch-fly open and don't even pull out a cell phone for a selfie!
    That's just one of the minor gaping black-hole plotlines. The biggest is that this can't be an origin story when Supie hasn't yet earned street cred now he's caused Earth a whole pantload of problems and yet no one knows who he is! He would def be a parriah and run out of town on a rail.
    Other ridiculous holes include Kevin Costner standing in a tornado without a hair out of place and Amy Adams falling though the atmosphere in a crapstorm of debris and not even a mote of dust on her cheek.
    The LL character is a major disappointment, no edge at all, in the end just another helpless fem.
    The boring CGI video game scenes held no drama, who cared at least the cartoon versions of this character inspired one to root for Supie. I guess 12 year-old boys will find this movie immensely satisfying...not that there's everything wrong with that.
  34. Jul 16, 2013
    This movie could have been so much better if it was just played out straight like a regular superhero movie instead of serenading us with some emotional piece-of-ass. The beginning honestly got me wondering if i was watching an amateur college-student-budget film project rather than, hello, a Superman movie from a big Hollywood Studio. The timeline stuff was and it wasn't until theThis movie could have been so much better if it was just played out straight like a regular superhero movie instead of serenading us with some emotional piece-of-ass. The beginning honestly got me wondering if i was watching an amateur college-student-budget film project rather than, hello, a Superman movie from a big Hollywood Studio. The timeline stuff was and it wasn't until the action started that i felt a little comfortable. This movie did something I never thought possible: It made me dislike a superhero. Thanks a lot Zach Snyder. The whole emotional superhero thing worked for The Dark Knight Rises but only because Nolan was in charge and because Batman had been introduced to us earlier. In one word, let me summarize this movie: I only give it a 5 because the action was good and the back-story was nice as well. The execution- BLEH! Expand
  35. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel is something I give the benefit of the doubt, why I still prefer the likes of Christopher Reeve flying around with a toothpaste commercial smile in a story reminiscent of Kal-El's innocent upbringings in small town Kansas I was constantly reminding myself in my seat "This is a modernization", but does it hold up to what we expect from a superman story?

Short and personal

Short and personal answer no. I found myself hoping it would take on the form of it's impressive teaser trailer back in 2012, majestic shots, large choir orchestra sounds and heavily inspiring words of wisdom on right and wrong.

What we got was Zack Snyder's best film to date given the talent who was involved i.e Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer respectively, Zack's Filmography is a puzzle to me, he's an extremely talented man in the visual department and I loved the look of all he's previous work regardless of story and some minor casting calls but ultimately none of them manage to carry the weight and depth when tackling something so large on scale such as Superman.

But I wont lie Man of steel looks fantastic, for it's flaws which are many, the spectacle of the movie is in it's destruction scenes be it Krypton or Earth, they outweigh all of what we've seen from Superhero Movies so far. the flying looks spectacular and as stated before Zack manages to bring scope and something much larger to screen then many could envision, even myself with my expectations was still very impressed with the routes they ultimately took and the consequences that follow.

Which brings me to the weight and depth point I mentioned earlier, half the characters are generally not that interesting, big names with small parts who should've had a lot more screen time, I really wanted to see more of Kevin Costner, Laurence Fishburne and hell you make Jimmy Olsen a female called Jenny which I'm all for but she says and does virtually nothing that emphasised her character or the story that mattered at all (I know that the last thing isn't to big a deal because Jimmy is underplayed in all the movie series but it's why I bring up the next point). I found the exposition in this film startling, it goes from one scene to another so fast any interaction from the landscape or human interaction isn't really well executed, like the characters the audience is expected to just go with it, quick explanation, next scene.

What does work is aside from effects is that Henry Cavil makes a welcome change for Superman, though the films ideal was to hit a darker tone such as the recent Batman Trilogy, Batman and Superman are both different for obvious reasons emotionally and ideology, so to see Superman (Cavil) go Batman is new for a superman story, but it just doesn't fit for my personal expectations, that said I did enjoy his performance to an extent and would definitely like to see him play the character again in more familiar superman traits.

Ultimately though Russell Crowe and Michael Shannon steal the show entirely, Crowe's Jor-El gets a lot more screen time than I thought we would see but it's a wonderful performance that comes off more real than just comic book commodity, and with that holy hell Shannon's performance as Zod is so terrifying fierce and soulless to me it rivals that of Heath Ledger.

So after covering both Performance and Visuals how was the story? well that's it there isn't one, one that's particularly memorable anyway. Superman trying to find himself, to an extent does, finds bad guys, puts them down, done the end, typical superhero flair, character motives are basic never bigger than what's explained or seen from the actual characters, so when the visuals are great, acting in some areas solid or flat and overall average story (y'know Zack's trademarks?) why does Man of Steel make the grade?

Because and ultimately it's different, plain and simple not different from the directors standpoint sure but for superman it's both familiar and unfamiliar like a reboot should be. but does that mean it's good? I kind of know the target audience who will really enjoy this movie will be the ones who don't know that much on Superman, trust me I'm no stellar fan yet I've read John Byrne & Grant Morrison serials religiously and watched all the old films regardless how bad the later ones got, am I the only one who thought "Superman Returns" felt way too "Smallville"?

Man of Steel to me got alot of things right and wrong but ultimately it's succeeds in it's mission of Modernizing Superman, I would happily watch it again no doubt and I love the set up for hopeful future instalments but as an introduction to one of America's greatest fictional characters? do yourself a favour and look for the real deal. 7.5 Thanks for Reading.
  36. Jun 16, 2013
    Finally, Superman pitched in epic battle doing things we have only imagined from still images in comics or animated films. While I hope to see more of the backstory develop over the course of the trilogy, this is definitely a movie not to be missed and evidence once again that the critics have no idea what the audience wants in an action packed film. Best film of the summer!
  37. Jul 8, 2014
    סרט הסופרמן הכי טוב עד עכשיו, מבוים בצורה גאונית על ידי זאק סניידר, לא להחמיץ ללא ספק אחד מסרטי גיבורי העל הכי טובים עד היום. פתיחה נהדרת לדיסי יוניברס,
  38. Aug 18, 2013
    I never really watched the previous Superman movies and I never read the comic books so my opinion of this movie, as a SF action movie, is unbiased by those or the hype. I am criticizing the movie alone. Although i knew it was directed by Snyder so I didn't expect much. I went to the theater with some friends thinking it would just be another average action movie and it was just that.I never really watched the previous Superman movies and I never read the comic books so my opinion of this movie, as a SF action movie, is unbiased by those or the hype. I am criticizing the movie alone. Although i knew it was directed by Snyder so I didn't expect much. I went to the theater with some friends thinking it would just be another average action movie and it was just that. However what I don't like about these average action movies is that they are bad. They have a weak plot, weak character development and are so full of nonsense. Those movies are just money machines. They have good SFX which can be showcased in the trailer to attract the audience but always fail to deliver. No wonder nearly half of the budget goes into marketing. Producers don't want to invest in an original or creative approach, that's too risky and why should they? People still paid to go, so did I. When you look at these years' big budget movies you'll see that they are either sequels, prequels, spin-offs, adaptations, remakes....etc. No original story. Man of Steel fits perfectly this section. Why bother making a good movie if it will sell anyway? This seems to be Hollywood's guideline nowadays. In conclusion, nearly no character development, boring dialogues, weak reused plot with many inconsistencies and holes, good to average imagery and average action. 4 out of 10. Expand
  39. May 5, 2015
    5 Reasons Man Of steel Is The WORST Movie Ever Made:

1. Washed out blue cinematography throughout the whole movie. 2. Lousy director....the whole film shot with a jerky handheld camera to make it look exciting and full of action. Trademark of amateur directors. 3. Lousy story line constantly jumping from the past and present on Earth and on a different world. 4. Overuse of
    5 Reasons Man Of steel Is The WORST Movie Ever Made:

1. Washed out blue cinematography throughout the whole movie.

and full of action. Trademark of amateur directors.

4. Overuse of CGI. The ending kept dragging on and on as they destroyed more and more buildings. Less is more. Was actually getting antsy and bored with all the destruction.

5. The ending. When in the world is this guy going to use his super speed to at least TRY to look like someone else. I know, I'll put on a pair of glasses and know one will ever recognize me....not even my mother.
  40. Nov 13, 2013
    Man of Steel is a really good movie, it has the the best visuals ive ever seen, there where moments in the movie when my jaw dropped. Man of Steel is actually more believable than any other Superman movie ive seen. Henry Caville and Amy Adams are great as Superman and Lois Lane. This movie also has amazing music playing in the background for many of the serious or sad scenes. Man of SteelMan of Steel is a really good movie, it has the the best visuals ive ever seen, there where moments in the movie when my jaw dropped. Man of Steel is actually more believable than any other Superman movie ive seen. Henry Caville and Amy Adams are great as Superman and Lois Lane. This movie also has amazing music playing in the background for many of the serious or sad scenes. Man of Steel is a great movie overall, it has the best super hero fight ive ever seen and does not deserve all the negative reviews from the critics. Overall Score= 83/100 Expand
  41. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel

Director: Zack Snyder Starring: Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner Runtime/Rated: 2hr. 28min/PG-13 ‘Man of Steel’ was my very first Superman movie I have ever seen. So, how did it far with me? Did I enjoy it? Can it be better then ‘The Dark Knight’ films? Well, let’s get started! The story starts at Superman’s home
    Man of Steel

Director: Zack Snyder

Runtime/Rated: 2hr. 28min/PG-13

The story starts at Superman’s home planet called Krypton, where we’re introduced to Jor-El, (played by a good Russell Crowe). Jor-El is at the council talking to the elder people and mentions that their world is in danger of being destroyed, I don’t know why this is happening, I don’t know if its because they didn’t explain it, or maybe I just didn’t hear it. I don’t know. Then General Zod comes zooming in, (played be Michael Shannon who is one of the main reasons why I some what liked this movie). Zod comes in and starts causing havoc, and saying this planet is DOOMED!! Again, I don’t know why its DOOMED?!? After this encounter with Zod, Jor-El breaks away from him and goes to his son and sends him off to Earth as Krypton is being destroyed. Then for about a good hour of the film we have half ass character development for Clark Kent. It’s told through to many tedious flashbacks and monologue talks from his father and mother (played by Diane Lane and Kevin Costner). Finally, after sitting their an hour of painful and dull acting and character development, General Zod comes back to save the day! From here, the story kicks back up again and Zod wants to transform Earth into the next Krypton.

One of the main reasons why I didn’t love this movie is the poor character development. Using Flashbacks as a tool to show development for Clark Kent didn’t work for me. When you first see Kent, he’s already a man, so the film jumped their story about 25 years later after the events on Krypton. Then the movie takes you back years later for when he’s a kid. That’s the development for Superman FLASHBACKS most of the flashbacks were all the same anyways, Clark saves the day by using his power, then has a long speech with either his father or mother. This happened four times in the movie. Another big problem I had with this film, which is a huge one, is the emotions I did not feel between the characters. The whole relationship between Kent and Lois Lane felt extremely fake, it felt like there was no connection through those two characters. Most of their interactions felt dull and stale this might have felt like this because of the very bland Henry Cavill but even with all of the other relationships between the characters, i still didn’t feel any real emotions. I would say that the only relationship that I connected with was Kevin Costner’s and Henry Cavill’s, which felt very real. The ending also was dull. When Superman takes the first punch of the movie, and I mean first REAL punch, that’s when you feel the most adrenaline pumping through your body, but that fads pretty fast, and by the end of the film you’re more excited for it to end then it to keep playing.

‘Man of Steel’ defiantly has plenty of flaws, but with saying that, I still enjoyed the movie. I loved the visuals and effects, which could very be the best effects I will see this whole year. Most of the action was nice to look at, especially when Superman is whooping everybody’s ass. Like I mentioned before, Michael Shannon had a brilliant performance and stole the show every time he was on screen. The true summary of ‘Man of Steel’ is, “it looks to par, but lacks the emotional depth that it NEEDS to make it stand out then all the other generic action summer blockbusters”. Also, I would like to mention that Zack Snyder has a great visual approach to his movies, but when it comes to story, he’s one of the worst.

To answer the question if i enjoyed my first Superman movie or not, i would say that yeah, i enjoyed a good chunk of the movie, but for the most part was extremely disappointing.

See this movie as a matinee showing.
  42. Jun 16, 2013
    The movie is great! I felt like I'd seen quite a bit going into the theatre and, I was correct! From watching all the trailers you get the sense that you see alot before going to the big screen but, believe me, the movie was worth it! Great action, awesome soundtrack, and the acting is right on par from each character. For some reason though, there were another of characters from BattleThe movie is great! I felt like I'd seen quite a bit going into the theatre and, I was correct! From watching all the trailers you get the sense that you see alot before going to the big screen but, believe me, the movie was worth it! Great action, awesome soundtrack, and the acting is right on par from each character. For some reason though, there were another of characters from Battle Star Galactica... LOL! Anyway, go see it! Expand
  43. Jun 14, 2013
    The Superman origin tale has been told and retold many times at this point however this is the first live action reboot since Superman(1979). Far from retreading the same steps the film focuses on Clarks' struggle over what to do with his powers and getting the world to accept him. I was particularly glad to see Clarks' childhood shown in brief segments showing why Superman does what heThe Superman origin tale has been told and retold many times at this point however this is the first live action reboot since Superman(1979). Far from retreading the same steps the film focuses on Clarks' struggle over what to do with his powers and getting the world to accept him. I was particularly glad to see Clarks' childhood shown in brief segments showing why Superman does what he does as an adult. I also enjoyed the portrayal of emotion on Supermans' face shown with close ups; the first flight for example, as this really makes the character more real as that's how a normal person would act in such situations. The direction of characters was solid through out although the action scenes felt a bit jaggy as it was almost like the audience was in the middle of the fight and possibly not getting the best possible view of the action. I also felt as though although the General Zodd character was quite good he didn't quite fill the shoes of those who played the role before which is slightly disappointing and takes away somewhat from the film. Conversely, Jor-El ;played by Russel Crowe was used brilliantly and really helped the film as well also as the portrayal of Krypton which compared to previous iterations felt alive more like a genuine planet.
    Rating 8 out of 10
    A well thought out and considerate reboot hopefully leading to bigger and better things in the future.
  44. Jun 15, 2013
    I had low expectations going into "Man of Steel" given the mediocre reviews (57% on RottenTomatoes) and Zack Snyder's track record that started to look a bit like M. Night Shyamalan's. After his break-out debut with the "Dawn of the Dead" re-make and followed by the eye-popping "300," he started to stumble with the mind-bending "The Watchmen," a cartoon movie about owls, and the disposableI had low expectations going into "Man of Steel" given the mediocre reviews (57% on RottenTomatoes) and Zack Snyder's track record that started to look a bit like M. Night Shyamalan's. After his break-out debut with the "Dawn of the Dead" re-make and followed by the eye-popping "300," he started to stumble with the mind-bending "The Watchmen," a cartoon movie about owls, and the disposable "Sucker Punch." But I was hopeful given the guiding hand of producer/screenwriter Christopher Nolan and screenwriter David S. Goyer.

Man of Steel was a pleasant surprised and vigorously entertaining.

Russell Crowe nearly resurrects his Gladiator greatness as Kal-El's/Clark's/Superman's reserved but badass father on Krypton. The deeper dive into the chapter of Krypton's demise is absolutely captivating with the addition of a ton of science fiction elements.

Instead of re-treading Superman's back-story on earth which has been covered abundantly already, the use of flashbacks between the adult and young Clark works really well. Henry Cavill as Superman does a decent job switching from brooding to giddy to serious, although when he's not in his suit his sculpted body looks totally unreal. Amy Adams as Lois Lane plays the part of a strong female lead well while putting the character, as always, in completely ridiculous situations requiring the classic save by Superman.

Michael Shannon from HBO's "Boardwalk Empire" is solid as the maniacal and ethnocentric General Zod.

Unfortunately, the movie falls into tedium and redundancy during the "smash-things" climax where Superman and Zod (and his minions) do 20-times more smashing and destruction than all of "The Hulk" movies combined. The Avengers smash-things climax was even longer (I think) but 20-times more entertaining because they smashed things in very different ways. There is a limit to how many times you can watch invincible beings get hurled through buildings.

Ultimately, even these flaws can't diminish a well-crafted reboot of the oldest super hero of all time. Zack Snyder may have just got his mojo back.
  45. Jun 14, 2013
    Top 5 superhero movie of all time. I really dont understand why every critic is being this harsh. Its like they are scrutinizing the movie more than usual just cause Snyder has a part it in it. I actually really enjoyed the movie.
  46. Feb 3, 2014
    今年最好看的超级英雄电影,特别是前面90分钟对于超人的前世今生寻找自我的心路历程描写的超赞,片头氪星超美,最后的打斗戏眼花缭乱较为平庸但还是比较震撼。配乐超级棒,摄影和剪辑超棒。亨利卡维尔的超人演得真棒!
  47. Jun 19, 2013
    Best movie that I paid to see since Avatar. Some of the scenes even remind me of Avatar. The action was intense, the actors were very good, some of the scenes were very touching, I really love the Krypton scenes and how David wrote it as being a planet like Pandora and also some Star Wars mixed in. Paid a lot of homage in my opinion to Smallville the TV series. I think I will go see it again.
  48. Jun 15, 2013
    Zack Snyder created the Superman film we needed. He gives us some jaw-dropping visuals and an engaging and emotional story about loneliness and finding your mission in life that keeps you on the edge of your seat.
    Henry Cavill totally nailed the role of Superman in every possible way. He has a strong screen presence and gives the character a naivety that makes you relate to him. He has morals, but still can get angry, sad and desperate. The rest of the cast is great as well.
    General Zod was written in a very intelligent way because even though he was a force of destruction and violence, you can still understand his motivations.
    Man of Steel has everything to please both comic book aficionados and average movie goers, and is the perfect Superman movie.
  49. Nov 1, 2013
    It's certainly not perfect, but Man Of Steel is a nonetheless an excellent reboot, to say the least. It completely changed my perspective of Superman (who I never had been a huge fan of) and adds many new additions to the Superman story. My only complaint is that Clark and Lois's relationship was very rushed; they start kissing after meeting each other for like only three days! I liked theIt's certainly not perfect, but Man Of Steel is a nonetheless an excellent reboot, to say the least. It completely changed my perspective of Superman (who I never had been a huge fan of) and adds many new additions to the Superman story. My only complaint is that Clark and Lois's relationship was very rushed; they start kissing after meeting each other for like only three days! I liked the beginning that showed us a glimpse of Krypton and developed Superman's backstory and origins. I liked the cast, especially Faora and General Zod.

If you liked this review, read my other ones on a wide variety of movies and TV shows by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. Remember, every vote counts!
  50. Dec 21, 2013
    I liked the Batman more but this is incredible. Znyder and Nolan are a great duo. What I do not like that it becomes a little thick. The special effects, the closure, the performances and the narrative make this a masterpiece is back. The best of it if Superman.
  51. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have a very love/hate relationship with this movie.

This movie was by no means bad, but it was definitely held back by character and environmental inconsistencies. For example: Faora, the female Kryptonian, claims their race is superior due to the evolutionary loss of morality with the blatantly false comment, "We have no morality". This completely reduced the complexity of the Kryptonians character and was borderline contradictory to their main purpose, to preserve Kryptonian culture.

There was a lot of moments in the film that were extremely contrived. I kept thinking, "Gee, it sure is convenient Superman is RIGHT there, otherwise that could have been bad." or, "Man, it sure is great that machine with tentacles stopped attacking Superman long enough for him to destroy it." OR EVEN "Wow! It sure is amazing that the laws of gravity CEASE to exist when Lois is being sucked into this vortex at the end of the movie." Seriously, with that last one Superman even has a difficult time breaking free from the vortex, but for some reason when Lois was free falling it was like it had zero effect on her (she has gravity powers?).

Also at the end of the movie was a retarded comment made by a certain government agent who says, "You caused over $2,000,000 dollars in damage to that drone you brought down!" Forget the fact that he completely decimated an entire city of idiots (who stare at buildings falling on them) causing probably billions of dollars worth of damage. Forget the fact that Earth owes him a life debt. Same freaking thing with that dumb broad at the end, "He's kinda hot"? Really? Forget the fact that you've probably never seen this magnitude of incredibly not-human feats.

Don't even get me started on that ridiculous tornado scene.

The ONLY redeeming factor for this movie was the incredible fight scenes. Even the villain's fighting styles were super dynamic and versatile. When Zod was wearing that heavy armor, he reflected that with an almost beast-like fighting style. That was awesome!

Overall I'm glad I went to see it, but if I was given a chance to go back in time, I probably wouldn't have gone to the midnight showing. It was ok; it was Super-over-hyped.
  52. Jun 18, 2013
    I have to say, I thought this movie was awful. Superman had no character. He barely even had any lines. The story flowed without much logic and it made the movie feel like a 3 hour trailer. It felt a lot like a Michael Bay movie, except everyone knows what they're getting with him. Bay makes Bad Boys and Transformers, not exactly high caliber material to begin with. Snyder plays with someI have to say, I thought this movie was awful. Superman had no character. He barely even had any lines. The story flowed without much logic and it made the movie feel like a 3 hour trailer. It felt a lot like a Michael Bay movie, except everyone knows what they're getting with him. Bay makes Bad Boys and Transformers, not exactly high caliber material to begin with. Snyder plays with some pretty important works and just totally blows it. 4/10 Expand
  53. Jun 14, 2013
    There are little things that bothered me but not enough to complain about this movie was amazing. The story line was great the characters were spot on henry cavill is a perfect superman. The action scenes were great. The visuals were by far one of the best I've seen in a while.
  54. Jun 20, 2013
    Leave your brain at home and enjoy comic book capers.
    There are plenty of 'WTF??' moments related to the plot. Constantly shaky camera means you can't really get into the action scenes easily. Lois is not that hot. Superman himself is cool. The bad guys will scare 12 year olds.
    BUT there's tons of action, thousands get splatted and massive destruction and incredible CGI. Not really
    Leave your brain at home and enjoy comic book capers.
    Not really worth the 3d ticket. One of those films where you have to see it on the big screen. Watch later at home and you'll be facebooking on your mobile on the sofa and only half watching before you know it.
  55. Jun 21, 2013
    Produced on a $225 million budget, the special effects are the only thing that impress. At least at the beginning. After the 597th explosion and the 245th fighting scene you just get bored of all the noise and the visual effects that try to be realistic but are just too big to look in any way compelling. Little dialogue and even less story just give the film the last "kick in the ass". IProduced on a $225 million budget, the special effects are the only thing that impress. At least at the beginning. After the 597th explosion and the 245th fighting scene you just get bored of all the noise and the visual effects that try to be realistic but are just too big to look in any way compelling. Little dialogue and even less story just give the film the last "kick in the ass". I seriously tried to be impressed, to be thrilled but by any means I was bound to fail! Expand
  56. Feb 2, 2015
    The first time I watched "Man of Steel", I thought it was OK. However, after watching it again and again, I realized it was better than just OK. The characterization is poor and even tough the narrative is great sometimes, it can also be very strange. However, the action is spectacular, even if it's taken a little too far. Newer Superman fans will definitely enjoy this take on the iconicThe first time I watched "Man of Steel", I thought it was OK. However, after watching it again and again, I realized it was better than just OK. The characterization is poor and even tough the narrative is great sometimes, it can also be very strange. However, the action is spectacular, even if it's taken a little too far. Newer Superman fans will definitely enjoy this take on the iconic superhero, but I doubt longtime fans will effectively relate to the overall story and characters. Expand
  57. May 8, 2014
    Oh, man, this film... I was looking forward to this from the point in time when I saw the first trailer. I couldn't wait for it's release. But damn, it dropped the ball low. Very low. I was beyond disappointed by it Over complicated plot, that really starts to fall apart when you start to think about it, weird, overwhelming and just obvious symbolism and lifeless characters - that's "ManOh, man, this film... I was looking forward to this from the point in time when I saw the first trailer. I couldn't wait for it's release. But damn, it dropped the ball low. Very low. I was beyond disappointed by it Over complicated plot, that really starts to fall apart when you start to think about it, weird, overwhelming and just obvious symbolism and lifeless characters - that's "Man of Steel". I wouldn't mind of that flaws if the characters wouldn't have been one dimensional cardboard cutouts of a bare minimum of what a character is. Besides that, the dialogue is about 80 percent of exposition. Secondary characters were wasted, Superman was just emotionless. But it isn't all bad. I enjoyed the visuals, the way Krypton was presented. The fights were... Good.. Just good, because at the end it becomes repetitive.
    Overall "Man of Steel" was a disappointing action flick without humanity.
  58. Jun 16, 2013
    Thus was a great movie the performances were good there were very good fight scenes. I have given the movie a 9 because i think that the movie went on a little long and the use of 3D was not that great but apart from that great movie one of the best of this year
  59. Oct 5, 2013
    Truly dreadful. I was amazed at how bad it was. I had medium to high expectations when I decided to finally watch it, and maaan was I disappointed. Truth be told, I fell asleep during the movie, and had to watch the rest of it the next day. I am very sad that I did. It sucked!
  60. Jul 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Could this be the Superman movie that we've always wanted? Man of steel is one of the most anticipated movies this year, so it has a lot of hype to live up to. Finally, a Superman movie that kicks ass, Superman knows how to take down a baddy and we did not see this kind of Superman from Superman Returns, which is one of the reasons on why it was a huge disappointment to the fans. The action scenes in this movie were fantastic, buildings crumbling down, airplanes exploding, the scenes were mind blowing, expecially the final fight scene. The film has a lot of good actors, like Laurence Fishburne, Kevin Costner, Russel Crowe, Diane Lane, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon and of course the man with the cape, Henry Cavill, they all did a terrific job with their characters. There were characters from the movie that had short development, which was a problem because if they don't develop throughout the whole movie, then we might not care about these characters, like Perry White and Faora. Sometimes the action scenes could get a bit dull, which would make these scenes a bit dragging, but the visuals from those scenes looked great. The chemistry had nothing special in it, it was rushed and forced at certain parts of the flick, like the scene were Superman and Lois holds hands for the first time, that scene just made no sense. Man of Steel was still a good movie and for me, it deserves a sequel. I am going to give Man of Steel a 9/10. Expand
  61. Nov 8, 2014
    The Man Of Steel Is Made of Cardboard! But At Least Henry Cavill Has Nice Muscles! What a shame such a great story turned into something so boring, tedious and annoying! Unfortunately for the Man of Steel, every story has a beginning, middle and end. Something the average person learns when they are in kindergarten or First Grade! All three parts of a story need to be done well or elseThe Man Of Steel Is Made of Cardboard! But At Least Henry Cavill Has Nice Muscles! What a shame such a great story turned into something so boring, tedious and annoying! Unfortunately for the Man of Steel, every story has a beginning, middle and end. Something the average person learns when they are in kindergarten or First Grade! All three parts of a story need to be done well or else it's no fun! A great beginning does not make-up for a mediocre middle or a disastrous ending!

The Man of Steel starts with a fantastic back story. For the very first time we really get to observe Krypton in all it's technological glory! Only to see the story slowly degenerate into camp with cardboard characters from the military that you could find in any comic books story. And, then like a car with a stuck accelerator, the story rapidly turns into another brainless war porn and 9/11-type flick (Chicago gets trashed instead of New York. When your story is so rotten you distract your audience by wrecking another major city! Wow! That was imaginative!)

Man Of Steel is also the ultimate product placement film. In fact, you could randomly choose a half-dozen movies that have been shown on the big screen this past year - and I'll bet you the Man of Steel has more product placement then all of them COMBINED! It was so obnoxious it was distracting! In the 45 years of watching movies I can only think of a handful of times that product placement has been this aggressive!! It's also symptomatic of an incredibly weak story!

The Man of Steel is so bad I was dying to walk out; but, I went to see the film with a friend so I felt obligated to stay. At least I had the sense to close my eyes and tune-out the last half hour of explosions, grunting and screaming in order to put my meditation skills to the test! I'm happy to report that even though I was totally sober I was able to completely tune-out the last 30 minutes of the Man of Steel and I could care less about what happened to any of the story's characters!
  62. Jun 26, 2013
    Man of Steel isn´t as great as it should have been, but at the very least what we get here is a very enjoyable movie. From a spectacle perspective it doesn´t disappoint, the last 45 minutes or so, is jam packed of exciting action that definitely gives the man of steel justice. From a character point of view however, the movie suffers in some key areas. This is not a lifeless Michael BayMan of Steel isn´t as great as it should have been, but at the very least what we get here is a very enjoyable movie. From a spectacle perspective it doesn´t disappoint, the last 45 minutes or so, is jam packed of exciting action that definitely gives the man of steel justice. From a character point of view however, the movie suffers in some key areas. This is not a lifeless Michael Bay effort in any way whatsoever, there´s genuine character development here that for the most part works really well, but the matter of fact is that it all doesn´t effectively ends with the right amount of emotion. There had to be more emotional weight in the final battle, one that not even Lois Lane is able to provide with Superman. It has some pacing issues and the characters are not as fleshed out as the trailers initially tease they will be, but what is here is good, very good indeed, and so it all happens to add up to a super-fun summer movie. Expand
  63. Jun 16, 2013
    I've loved the movie. It's a nice well dine reboot of superman with many details improved from previous versions. I liked it more than many of the Avenger's films (teamed or solo) even more than Spider-Man.
    It lacks the twists of Dark Knight but still effective entertainment.
    Some times the special effects are way too cluttered near the end but let's salute the quality of them.
  64. Jun 19, 2013
    Superman has got to be the lamest hero. Honestly, the character is comparable to a hot dog from the old tale about the casings being stuffed with whatever the butcher swept off his floor Superman has got everything. A man that was dreamt of being forged in empyrean; an essential god simply created to out-do whatever other heroes had been envisioned at the time; a simple product ofSuperman has got to be the lamest hero. Honestly, the character is comparable to a hot dog from the old tale about the casings being stuffed with whatever the butcher swept off his floor Superman has got everything. A man that was dreamt of being forged in empyrean; an essential god simply created to out-do whatever other heroes had been envisioned at the time; a simple product of testosterone fueled imaginations. At least that’s how it seems to me, and yet, that very individual is the champion of what could very well be one of my favorite movies of the past few years, Man of Steel.

Sure, call it high praise, but I’m serious; it’s at least managed to claim the title of “Favorite Superhero Movie,” quite easily. Before I get into it, let me talk about the biggest issue and then clarify it for you: this isn’t Christopher Nolan’s movie. I lost track of how many times, when talking about Man of Steel, people have claimed, “Well it’s gotta be good, Nolan did it.” No, he didn’t. He is one of five or so executive producers, and had a finger or two not even a hand in its entirety in the story (though, arguably he is the one that had this project green lit, so cheers to that). Similarly, many reviews suggest that Director Zack Snyder attempted to “Nolan-ize” Superman, but assuming that causes expectations to never be fulfilled this is not The Dark Knight with Superman. So let’s give commendation to those who may have gone unnoticed under Nolan’s shadow: Snyder and Writer David Goyer.

Read more http://www.recomedia.net/filmtv/man-of-steel-review/
  65. Jun 16, 2013
    This movie is AMAZING.The backstory is great as well as the story,it is very emotional in some parts and has some on the best effects I have ever seen in a movie theater.
  66. Jul 19, 2013
    es una muy mala pelicula, ni buenas actuaciones, excesivamente larga, tediosa. Las escenas de accion están muy largas y el actor no es ni la mitad del Superman que fue el anterior.
  67. Apr 27, 2015
    This is a film that is ridden with flaws, but the breathtaking spectacle and innovative approach Zack Snyder takes with the classic superhero narrative is undeniably brilliant.
  68. Jun 15, 2013
    The positive reception from the users on this site just goes to show how easily entertained people are. This movie is completely souless. Every character feels like a cardboard cut out, which is unforgivable when you cast the likes of Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Laurence Fishburne, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, and Diane Lane. Man of Steel tries to be dark, and at times it is, but theThe positive reception from the users on this site just goes to show how easily entertained people are. This movie is completely souless. Every character feels like a cardboard cut out, which is unforgivable when you cast the likes of Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Laurence Fishburne, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, and Diane Lane. Man of Steel tries to be dark, and at times it is, but the movie is a little too corny to be taken seriously. It's basically a slightly better version of a Michael Bay film, and that is obviously not meant as a compliment. I can't remember the last time I was more dissapointed in a movie, but I suppose that's my own fault for getting excited for a Superman movie. Expand
  69. Jul 7, 2013
    Superman is the 'Sonic the Hedgehog' of comic book characters.

An extremely well designed, and well loved, object of intellectual property who ultimately isn't in many well done things. This movie is a pure example of this the character style is awesome, the art style is ok, and the plot is adequate at best. The current aggregate score of 55 is absolutely appropriate this is the
    Superman is the 'Sonic the Hedgehog' of comic book characters.

The current aggregate score of 55 is absolutely appropriate this is the Sizzlers of comic book blockbusters.
  70. Jun 14, 2013
    Don't listen to the critics, from a fan of the comics and a fan of film, Man of Steel delivers. Led by a solid cast, with exceptional performances from Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Michael Shannon as Zod, and Henry Cavil as Superman himself they propel the film forwards. Everyone gets their fair share of time, I did want to see more of Kevin Costner that said. After the spectacular opening onDon't listen to the critics, from a fan of the comics and a fan of film, Man of Steel delivers. Led by a solid cast, with exceptional performances from Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Michael Shannon as Zod, and Henry Cavil as Superman himself they propel the film forwards. Everyone gets their fair share of time, I did want to see more of Kevin Costner that said. After the spectacular opening on Krypton, the film loses steam and I questioned it's pacing, but was quickly relived by how the story is told is the often non-linear style used by Nolan and Goyer Zach Snyder's direction fits the film perfectly, there's a bit of lens flair saturation but every sequence is filmed beautifully. And the action, just incredible, the flying is violent, you feel the environment shift. You get to enjoy the film more and more as it progresses, i wish they'd taken more time to delve further into the story but clocking in at around 2 and 1/2 hours, there's a solid amount of content and a good story. Though there are some pacing issues and more can be desired, Man of Steel is a superb movie that I can't wait to see again. Expand
  71. Jun 16, 2013
    To first put my perspective of Superman in check would be to inform you of what I've seen before. There are of course the first two Christopher Reeve movies (I skipped out on III and IV simply because I've heard nothing but terrible things) from which I moved onto Bryan Singer's 2006 Superman Returns. I enjoyed the romanticism and meditation of that film despite it now being panned byTo first put my perspective of Superman in check would be to inform you of what I've seen before. There are of course the first two Christopher Reeve movies (I skipped out on III and IV simply because I've heard nothing but terrible things) from which I moved onto Bryan Singer's 2006 Superman Returns. I enjoyed the romanticism and meditation of that film despite it now being panned by pretty much any fan boy you talk to. I've never seen an episode of "Smallville" and sans for a couple of animated features my knowledge of the DC mainstay is somewhat limited. Thus it was with great anticipation that I looked forward to a new vision, a re-booted film interpretation in line with Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy that has defined the space that films based on DC comics characters will occupy in this Marvel world. Personally, and as much as I enjoy the Marvel movies, I was more intrigued and engaged by the bleak and more serious moods that hung over the Nolan films as they were appropriate to the central characters tone. Though I was slightly concerned with this same tone not applying to the guy commonly referred to as the ultimate boy scout it seems that persona was not always true and director Zack Snyder along with Nolan as a producer and David Goyer (who also penned the screenplay for Batman Begins) have adapted the Superman story to not only exist in a similar universe with Nolan's Batman films, but within his own, more realistic world that doesn't simply pit the classic superhero against a bad guy in order to champion truth, justice and the American way. What they have done here and what makes me appreciate the film all the more is that while keeping in step with the kind of movies Nolan has made DC could attempt a Justice League movie in the future with this as a good place to start, but it also doesn't limit itself to that same completely realistic world of what we know because Superman is an alien and with that they ask the question of what would happen in a real world setting if Superman were to show up. It is that basic set-up that guides the film throughout and, despite a few flaws, had me gushing with excitement for what may come next.

read the whole review at www.reviewsfromabed.com
  72. Jun 26, 2013
    So many don't like it. I loved it.

This is what I call the Prometheus syndrome. Many hate it, but many loved it, and I loved Man of Steel, even though I am aware of some of it's problems- the same with Prometheus, but I don't think it brings down the film as much as it has been made out to be. This was my most anticipated movie of the year, and to be honest I had been hesitant from
    So many don't like it. I loved it.

This was my most anticipated movie of the year, and to be honest I had been hesitant from the start, as I had never been fully keen on Zack Snyder's work, I always found that they were good, but never great, with films such as Watchmen and the Owls movie- or they were just plain awful... Sucker Punch. This is, by far, Snyder's best work, and although many haven't liked the action- it flew by for me- the whole film whizzed past actually, while for most it seemed to drag. This film made me feel like a kid, as at one point I was sitting with my mouth wide open at the scale of the thing, and I literally jumped out of my seat when Superman himself, or Kal-El I should say, started throwing down in the air, against Zod.

Another concern I had did come to fruition, with many saying David S. Goyer will bring greatness to the project, but actually he has written some awful movies, and when people said 'He wrote The Dark knight Rises'- this is incorrect, he did the story for it. Films that he has written recently would be 'Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance', 'Jumper' and 'The Unborn'. Three awful films, that although the script isn't as bad as I am making it out to be, there are a few weird lines that pulled me out of the scene. I liked the structure Goyer gave, although it did lack some depth, I felt like I got enough to become emotionally connected to the characters.

The two strongest parts of the film would probably be the performances, and also the effects. I normally would criticize a film for one of it's strongest parts being the effects. But this is probably some of the best effects work I have ever seen. In this kind of scale anyway. As this film is big, and there is a hell of a lot of carnage.

Sure when you think about it. A lot of people died. But hey. Superman. it's all that's needed to be said. Bad argument, I know. But... Superman.

As part of the effects work, this also some of the best action I have personally ever witnessed, in scale and execution. It's crazy. I have heard that many simply turned off and got numbed by it, but I was the guy who wanted more. As I said earlier, I honestly felt like a kid watching my favorite comic books moments coming to life. Properly.

Here's a rundown of the performances:

Henry Caville- He plays a great Superman, and although the character was lacking in the script department, I definitely connected with him. And he WAS Superman.

Michael Shannon- He worked for me, and I preferred his reasons to go to Earth. There is an established reason for what he is doing, and he believes what he is doing is for the better. It is not I'm a bad guy. Blah. Although anyone could have really played the character, it wasn't a stand out role, but served a purpose.

Russell Crowe- Awesome. Krypton scenes- some of the best of the film. Amazing stuff there. And he is perfect.

Amy Adams- Good Lois Lane. She is given some weird lines though that doesn't suit the tone of the film, e.g. 'What if I need to tinkle?' Also the Superman-Lane relationship is a little rushed, and could have been left to a later film.

Kevin Costner- Again, great, although almost a bit underused. But he is almost the underlying hero of the film.

Diane Lane- Also good etc.

In other words. Go see it. Here, The Prometheus Syndrome, comes into effect. And today we see the creation of The Man of Steel Syndrome.
  73. Apr 3, 2014
    Lots of controversy over this film. In the end I did really enjoy it though. Sure, it wasn't as spectacular as The Dark Knight, but it had moments that were getting there. The CGI in this movie in phenomenal as well. I would recommend this movie to others, but please, don't compare it to Nolan's films.
  74. Jun 19, 2013
    First off be warned that this version is a completely different take any Superman you will have ever known or seen. This is why we get people complaining.. But if Snyder and Goyer followed the story traditionally, then you'd have people complain that it brought nothing new to the table. How can they win? Well they win by successfully presenting a fresh and updated take. It's movingFirst off be warned that this version is a completely different take any Superman you will have ever known or seen. This is why we get people complaining.. But if Snyder and Goyer followed the story traditionally, then you'd have people complain that it brought nothing new to the table. How can they win? Well they win by successfully presenting a fresh and updated take. It's moving with the times. It's very good so give it a chance. There are hardly any boring moments and the action is great. Cavill makes a sombre and amateurish Superman in his early days believable. Amy Adams is good in just about anything she appears in and in Lois Lane she has given us the best version, be it comic book or film. Which leads me on to state that this movie is just as much about Lois Lane as Superman. Never would I have ever imagined that a Lois Lane movie would work and it has here.
    I'll finish off on why this movie didn't get a perfect 10. Well it is long at over 140 minutes. But here's the thing, it didn't feel like it at all and the time flew by. A good sign, though that's where MOS falters a little. The film has a lot crammed in and could have done with more character and story development. Let'd hope the director's cut sorts this out.

Lastly I have no idea why the critics have have been so harsh. But it just seems like it's their current M.O. Just to hate. Heed my warnings/tips and watch it for yourself. I didn't regret it.
  75. Jun 24, 2013
    So I finally saw this movie today and I must admit that it was really everything that I wanted in a Superman movie. Henry Cavill was Superman, even though I really liked Brandon Routh, he just wasnt given the right medium to really fully embody the character that Cavill played in this film.

Amy Adams was a very good Lois Lane, with her larger than life reporter. She was given little time to grow as a character but I am sure if there is a sequel then that will give her more time to shine.

The actor who played Zod was very good. I mean I will always have a place in my heart of Terrence Stamp, but this new Zod was very good.

Russel Crowe as Jor-El was very well played and not over acted at all.

Overall this was a very interesting and refreshing new take on Superman, and I hope there is something more coming down the pipeline on this one
  76. Jul 5, 2013
    the story is well written,the actors are great,the effect are awsome.but..........they made a little mass,this is how the movie progress:talking,talking,talking,talking,talking,talking,action,action,action,action,action.a good movie whould mix talking with action.not do talking 80 minutes of the movie and 60 minutes only action with almost no talking.
    this movie could have been better but
    this movie could have been better but i still reccomend to go and see this movie becuase it is a good movie.well it better from the horrible superman returns.and they succeded doing a good reboot i am hoping for a sequel.
  77. Jun 17, 2013
    Well... this was... I´m kind of confused here. Going into the theater I had enourmous expectasions for this movie. I was pumped and ready to go into a new emotional take into the famous story of Superman. And what I got was more or less forty five minutes of that and the other hour and a half... well let´s say it didn´t stik with my that well.
    The way the trailers made me expect this
    The way the trailers made me expect this movie was more of a slowly dedicated and emotionaly striking version of the man of steel (especially the third one, damn!). Still the fourth trailer was more focused in action than in story and that´s how saw this movie at the end.
    The beginning of the movie which takes place in the exotic planet of Krypton, (yeah, when I say exotic I mean giant alien rhinos and really got me emotionaly atached to Jor-El (Superman´s dad). It actually pulled on my parents strings! Seeing the planet implode in such a way was breathtaking and kind of harsh!
    Then came the stretch of the movie which I actually feel confused about: The becoming of Superman. From Kal-El beeing sent to earth it immediatly cuts to him all grown up and going. I felt good about this decision, it gave us the feeling of mystery! Then came the flashbacks and these were reeally good! I felt the confusion of Clark and his attachement to his earth parents, the Kents. But then when this ends, (mainly at the reveal of the Fortress of Solitude) I felt that they were going too fast and the buildup lacked something. Then immediatelly Zod shows up! And I was like "Woah! I espected this farther into the movie! I´m not ready!" And then from the first attack on Smallville everything goes crazy! At first I thought the effects where amazing! and the fast paced action was dynamic. But then the scene dragged, and dragged, and dragged. And I felt overwhelmed and kind of bored. I was praying for an break to get into the deeper aspects that the movie had shown us at the beginning! Then it stopped! I was relieved and interested about where it would go from here! And then more action... and more action. I saw that they where going in with those world tearing machines that I saw in the trailer and actually felt worried for the character of Perry running from the destruction! But those scenes dragged even more! The action was spectacular but it lacked substance! Except for one part where Superman can´t destroy the machine across the globe and Perry is trying to save the other chick. That was intense. That was... Nolan! Finally! I found you! And then... guess what!! More empty action sequences... Damn, someone went haywire with the effects. The fight between Zod and Clark began with a good setting of... well ash. It was nice to see something new. That fight I really liked but maaan, content pleease! Then the movie ends and Clark goes to work at the Daily Planet and and yeah, the second half of the movie left me so mind numb that I didnt give a about the ending. Otherwise I would be cheering for that scene.
    An aspect that I want to highlight is the relationship between the Kent mom and Clark. I really felt something in that mother to son relationship.
    Henry Cavil also lacked some emotion. Russel Crowe and the Kevs Costner were pretty good and inspiring in their roles.
    To summarize my experience I cried more in the trailer than in the movie. That beeing said, it was not BAD! I only expected something greater.
  78. Jun 25, 2013
    The critics who have rated this down strike me as some what shortsighted. There are some valid complaints in their reviews that I think did detract from the movie (the shaking camera is my biggest pet peeve), but as far as the core of the movie is concerned, this is a Superman movie. No critic can convince me otherwise.
    What the critics who say it fails to live up to the Superman brand
    What the critics who say it fails to live up to the Superman brand do not realize is that this is a new Superman. This is a reboot of the franchise after the abysmal "dead-beat dad" story of "Superman Returns". Very similar to the Dark Knight reboot of Batman, this is a different Superman. He has different issues and a different history, he is not ripped from the comic books or garnered from the Christopher Reeves movies. He is a unique and completely different Man of Steel. That is not to say that he does not share similarities with the previous Superman, of course he does. At his core he is Superman, the Man of Steel, a Kryptonian sent to Earth by his parents to escape a dying world.

In fact my only big complaint is the shaky camera. There are moments when the footage looks as if it is being shot by a guy holding a camcorder and it steals from the theatrical overture as well as making the scene itself nauseating to watch. This only happens maybe a half dozen times in the movie, but every time it happens it is annoying and unwarranted. My only other complaint is minor and that is with some of the story elements regarding Zodd's banishment and his return as well as the so called "Kryptonian Empire". These are minor as I am aware this is a different Superman, but these elements seemed to have been written in too hastily and not thought through properly.
    Aside from that this is an Epic movie and I look forward to the sequel. Also eagle eyed viewers will catch a few easter eggs in the movie hinting at some great future possibilites, most notably was the LexCorp and Wayne Enterprises logos cleverly shown during some of the fighting.
  79. Jun 22, 2013
    the first part of the film is a bit clueless but the second part starts with a quarter turn and can not be stopped
    for me the film is really good but I was expecting something amazing but what I saw wasn't rotten but the film was a film that mixed superman and 2012
    but otherwise good work snyder and nolan
  80. Feb 27, 2014
    Movie Is Not That Great But Its Good !!!

** Man Of Steel ** Positive : * This movie brings out the origin stories of the most iconic character of all the time " Super Man " .The movie display life of superman as he survives with so much hardship among the people he is living with . Since he is different from others he must try to hide himself until the time arrives and finally
    Movie Is Not That Great But Its Good !!!

** Man Of Steel **

Positive :

* This movie brings out the origin stories of the most iconic character of all the time " Super Man " .The movie display life of superman as he survives with so much hardship among the people he is living with . Since he is different from others he must try to hide himself until the time arrives and finally becoming a hero and savior when trouble arrives that will put lives in danger .The Story Arc that surrounds super man is complete dark theme you can say this by simply watching the movie during screen play its done perfectly .

* This Movie has a cast of good actors and they have done great job of acting . Henry Cavill has done a good job of portraying super man in this movie but there are also other actors who were perfect in their respective roles such as Amy Adams as Lois Lane , Michael Shannon as General Zod and Russell Crowe as Jor-El etc .. This Movie has advantage of having good actors which they performed excellent in terms of acting .

* The Hans Zimmer once again did a great job of composing back ground theme for this movie its very fantastic !! he is simply great !! .

* The Director of this movie is Zack Snyder did a marvelous job of bringing super man in big screen by giving all the excitement and fire works but not only that this movie quite dramatic it clearly sparkles with all advantages its has gathered .

* The Visual Effect did a perfect job in this movie during screen play we can even see how well this film utilized visual effects to its core and its beautiful to watch and enjoy .

Negative :

* The Story has multiple amount of errors or holes .The story for this movie should have been simple but they tried make it look very complex by adding more special features yet it didn't work out instead it made so much errors or plot holes !! .

* The entire movie is very much predictable its destroys the surprise and mystery !!. You can even predict the outcome of the certain screen play when you are watching this movie which is a huge let down !! .

* The Action Sequence in this movie is very hard to observe . The fighting scene in this movie like when a video is fast forwarded the scenes skips so fast like that !! its happens so fast its gets even difficult to watch a certain fight scene .

* The Chemistry between super man and lois lane is so overly pushed their chemistry did not worked out during screen play .

* The Movie is secretly agrees that is an updated version Superman(1978) and Superman 2(1980) since it has more visual effect and fireworks than these previous movies .

Overall Result :

* This movie worst for some people and huge entertainer for others i say its mixture of both !!!

Man Of Steel :*****

(5/10) Stars
  81. Dec 2, 2013
    Let me first say this, if there's an action hero that I always disliked it was Superman. Superman stories were always a giant mess of gigantic nonsense and plot holes bigger than Yellowstone National Park.

This movie manages to bring a superman that fits and while the movie isn't perfect at all, its a very good movie, I enjoyed it for the most part. Characters 6 They tried to get

Characters 6
    They tried to get out of the 60's, 70's cliches, but its hard, the workarounds to get the characters into a more XXI's century culture didn't work in my opinion.

Plot 6
    Maybe too much in one movie, maybe I'm wrong, but it just felt too much, still the plot is nice, doesn't have big holes in it, which for a superman movie is big achievement, things happens always at the right time for everyone that matters to be saved which in my opinion is what makes the plot a little weak, considering that the movie seems to attempt to bring "realism" into the story, it fails miserably, if you want to redefine superman into the new age, then don't be afraid of doing only half.
    SPOILER(stop this nonsense that only the grunts, the bad guys and some random civilians no one cares about will die.)

Action 9
    Almost flawless, it achieves exactly what I think they wanted, the action sequences are brutal and well made, something that you can watch many times and not get tired of seeing them.

Drama 8
    You know, its all about the search for humanity and so on, I think it has a little too much unnecessary drama, but its well made, you watch it without rolling your eyes, so its nice.

Acting 7
    I'm not a good judge of this, but it didn't felt very good.

Special Effects 10
    Simply put, extremely detailed perfection.

Cinematography 8
    Its nice, its one of those movies where you don't really notice it, meaning it suits the movie well, but also means it wasn't extraordinary.

Soundtrack and Sound Effects 7
    Just like Cinematography, nothing stands out, but there's some sound effects that stand out for the negative, its like they just placed them there because they sound very "cool", that is bad but not that bad since they were indeed, cool.

This isn't a movie that I will watch again, probably ever, but, the action sequences where special effects excel, those I can watch over and over again, a good movie to see if you are in the mood for it, if you are not, then you won't like it very much.
  82. Jul 4, 2014
    Instead of trying to make this "The Dark Knight 2.0" with the depressingly dark tone and overwhelming focus on the back-stories, Zack Snyder & The Company should have tried a different approach - a more fun and relaxed one would have been welcome.
  83. Jun 29, 2013
    Hmm. A mixed bag, this one. The Lord of the Rings style Krypton in the Prologue came as a bit of surprise but not an unwelcome one. The film really came alive, however, once baby Kal-El made it to earth. The growing pains and adoption issues of the first act were beautifully handled and the relationship between Clark and his (human) father and mother was really very touching. But then...Hmm. A mixed bag, this one. The Lord of the Rings style Krypton in the Prologue came as a bit of surprise but not an unwelcome one. The film really came alive, however, once baby Kal-El made it to earth. The growing pains and adoption issues of the first act were beautifully handled and the relationship between Clark and his (human) father and mother was really very touching. But then... well. What happenedin the next two acts? I'll tell you what happened. What happened was that chauvanist arse of an executive producer, Jon Peters (ex-hairdresser to Barbara Streisand) finally got his way after trying to screw up the Superman franchise with his lame-ass, ill-conceived ideas and lack of any real love for the Superman mythology. Peters has wanted for years to re-jig Superman's suit ("too apparently) and have Kryptonians bashing the hell out of each other (and Kansas... and Metropolis...) for a whole hour or more of my (and your) paid-for cinema-going time. The second and third acts of this film are like Independence Day kicking seven bells out of Battleship while Transformers stamps on the Matrix Revolutions' head. This might be a 14 year old boy's idea of a good movie. But it ain't mine. Come back Bryan Singer, all is forgiven. Expand
  84. Nov 13, 2013
    Talk about failing upward. Zack Snyder's three previous films got exponentially worse. From 300, to Watchmen, to the almost unwatchable Sucker Punch, how Mr. Snyder was given the brass ring of rebooting the Superman franchise is beyond me. His visual style is unquestionable. There are frames that could be hung as artwork, but as a storyteller Snyder is ponderous and dull. Granted, Man OfTalk about failing upward. Zack Snyder's three previous films got exponentially worse. From 300, to Watchmen, to the almost unwatchable Sucker Punch, how Mr. Snyder was given the brass ring of rebooting the Superman franchise is beyond me. His visual style is unquestionable. There are frames that could be hung as artwork, but as a storyteller Snyder is ponderous and dull. Granted, Man Of Steel is his best work since 300 (I feel Dawn Of The Dead his best so far), and the set pieces are spectacularly staged, but 2 and a half hours of earnest, EARNEST material about a flying alien Christ figure is a bit much. The only hint of humor is the refusal to even say the name "Superman" (maybe spoken twice during the whole movie). I'm not saying we have to dive into the overdrawn characters of the Donner version, or people speaking in witty banter like The Avengers, but a little humor goes a long way. The acting across the board was fine..hey, I actually didn't hate Crowe, as I have most of his roles lately. And the technical credits were all first class. Expand
  85. Jun 14, 2013
    THE REBOOT SUPERMAN NEEDED. I was instantly drawn to this movie, by the time I saw the extended trailer. It lived up to my expectations. Zack Snyder blew me away (as always) with his STUNNING Visuals! David S. Goyer writes a captivating and interesting story about hope. The whole movie is packed to the punch with heavy hitting action. It will remain a superhero favourite in my mind. I giveTHE REBOOT SUPERMAN NEEDED. I was instantly drawn to this movie, by the time I saw the extended trailer. It lived up to my expectations. Zack Snyder blew me away (as always) with his STUNNING Visuals! David S. Goyer writes a captivating and interesting story about hope. The whole movie is packed to the punch with heavy hitting action. It will remain a superhero favourite in my mind. I give a 10/10... a 100%! A+ Film of the Summer of 2013!!! Expand
  86. Jan 25, 2014
    Man of Steel tells the story of how Clark Kent became Superman. It shows the hard times Clark had like bullying, his dad's death and trying to keep his super powers a secret. The main villain of this movie is General Zod, who killed Clark's original dad in the beginning of the movie. The movie has some really epic action scenes like the fights between Superman and Zod, which lasted forMan of Steel tells the story of how Clark Kent became Superman. It shows the hard times Clark had like bullying, his dad's death and trying to keep his super powers a secret. The main villain of this movie is General Zod, who killed Clark's original dad in the beginning of the movie. The movie has some really epic action scenes like the fights between Superman and Zod, which lasted for quite some time but they were still epic. When I first saw Clark Kent as an adult, I wondered why Tom Welling did not reprise his role as Clark Kent for the movie, but Henry Cavill still did a great job with it.

The only problems I had with the movie was the lack of character development and the one scene where the actor for General Zod was kinda overacting but overall it was a great movie and I don't know why critics do not like the movie, it is really good movie.
  87. Feb 5, 2014
    I do not like superman. This character is so fabulous and right that could not sympathize with the emu . Because he can stop time circled around the planet and moving planet. But Zack Snyder managed to bring it closer to the common man. Snyder remade the image of Superman. He took off his red underpants over blue pants , showed us how difficult it is to him to accept the fact that he isI do not like superman. This character is so fabulous and right that could not sympathize with the emu . Because he can stop time circled around the planet and moving planet. But Zack Snyder managed to bring it closer to the common man. Snyder remade the image of Superman. He took off his red underpants over blue pants , showed us how difficult it is to him to accept the fact that he is not from this planet , and that's his fault so many people died .
    Now opinion about the movie.

The film begins with a scene of birth of Superman ( Henry Cavill ) . General Zod ( Michael Shannon ) conceives revolution in krypton . Father of Superman 's ( Russell Crowe ) against Zod and kidnaps its confluence with the code body of Kal-El. He gives Kal-El write your opinion . Zod and his revolutionaries sent into space. Krypton explodes , and we came to earth .

Clark Kent seems to us exile rolling from one place to another. He lives with his adoptive mother, Martha Kent ( Diane Lane ) on the farm. Through a series of memories, we know from childhood moments Clark. As he realized who he really is , how he learned to cope with their own . Suddenly the earth invades General Zod to turn the land into a new Krypton . Superman must stop him .

Man of Steel appears to us a new reading of the classics, but it gives preference to the old films . Man of Steel is made beautifully and gloomy. In supervising Christopher Nolan film appears to us more realistic as Nolan Batman . The cast is simply gorgeous. Henry Cavill coped well with the role of Superman. It is perfectly suited to Superman physically . Amy Adams played well Lois Lane . But unfortunately it is not very good looks with Cavill . Michael Shannon has turned out one of the
    best villains comic book movies . Superman 's father and stepfather turned out excellent. The film's soundtrack is very stressful and exciting .

verdict

Man of Steel is an excellent and intense film with a great cast and a gorgeous soundtrack. Man of Steel Superman best film since the days of Richard Donner film and best film in the comic books in 2013 .
    Rating 4/5
  88. Jan 31, 2014
    Unfortunately, Man of Steel has severe structural problems amidst it's wonderful coming of age and child story of Clark, and rockets with nearly half a film of yawning action lacking emotion and motivation to care. It's an inspiring vision breaded for 14 & under, but the editing and execution in post-production squanders the potential for a smoothly paced, build-up to heroism and theUnfortunately, Man of Steel has severe structural problems amidst it's wonderful coming of age and child story of Clark, and rockets with nearly half a film of yawning action lacking emotion and motivation to care. It's an inspiring vision breaded for 14 & under, but the editing and execution in post-production squanders the potential for a smoothly paced, build-up to heroism and the mystery within. Altogether, it's no Kinder Surprise. Expand
  89. Jun 26, 2013
    Reasonable first act, a good second act and then everything is ruined by 40 mins of CGI brawling and utterly stupid writing. It's almost like several different films were written then smashed clumsily together.
  90. Jun 14, 2013
    Very excited for a very long time to see what Snyder and Nolan could do. Love 300 and the Batman trilogy so I figured this would be a sure fire hit. While it was good and Henry Cavill is an excellent casting of Superman, the movie did get very long. There were so many climaxes that it became exhausting. Seeing this in 3d was probably not necessary and maybe even detracted from the film dueVery excited for a very long time to see what Snyder and Nolan could do. Love 300 and the Batman trilogy so I figured this would be a sure fire hit. While it was good and Henry Cavill is an excellent casting of Superman, the movie did get very long. There were so many climaxes that it became exhausting. Seeing this in 3d was probably not necessary and maybe even detracted from the film due to the intentionally unstable camera work. This is definitely a film to see in the theater, but only worthy of a matinee. Obvious as it is, this is still a great launching point for a sequel(s). Expand
  91. Jun 24, 2013
    Pretty good movie. Story is familiar. Lois Lane is ok. The chemistry between her and Superman is a bit weak. Good popcorn movie. Action was great. It's superman. You gotta see it.
  92. Jun 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is by far the best superman movie, but to be fair that not saying much. There are moments in this movie that are very good, like the battle in Smallville. But the story line in places could of been much better like destroying the world to re-colonise it...why? If they left it as it was they would of been unstoppable as they would all be as powerful as superman... Also Zod is a trained soldier who has been bred and trained his entire life to fight and yet was beaten by somebody who has actively avoided fighting his entire life...

But anyway not a bad movie, worth a watch, but not the best superhero movie.
  93. Dec 21, 2014
    The real superman film I wanted. I didn't not care for original series. I thought they were lame and boring, the acting, the action, writing, the story, BLAND!!!. This is the film that should been critical acclaim and adore by fans. The better story, acting, writing, action, and climax.
  94. Jun 15, 2013
    This movie was quite enjoyable. I think that indeed it was the best superman movie to be created and didn't have very many plot holes in it as some previous superman movies had. It was very different from the same old telling of superman: Start with him being shot off of Krypton, have him grow up, learning his abilities one by one, then killing Lex Luther in the end. No, it was veryThis movie was quite enjoyable. I think that indeed it was the best superman movie to be created and didn't have very many plot holes in it as some previous superman movies had. It was very different from the same old telling of superman: Start with him being shot off of Krypton, have him grow up, learning his abilities one by one, then killing Lex Luther in the end. No, it was very different from that (not going to spoil). I enjoy at the beginning how Krypton was a war torn world instead of a heaven like planet. I thoroughly enjoyed the beginning and the end of the movie. The middle was alright so that is why I give this movie a 7/10, Expand
  95. Jun 16, 2013
    Super Amazing and Super Intense. The movie was great but there were some parts that didn't make sense like the part when superman healed lois with his heat vision. It had so much action that it was really hard to remember the story. It also showed way to many flashbacks the entire movie. To me it kind of felt like a remake of superman 2. Its a must see film for all the DC comic fans like myself.
  96. Jan 11, 2015
    Man of Steel is the Superman movie that I've been waiting for! From the beginning to the end Superman never slows down. Even at the beginning of the movie the destruction of Krypton is more complicated than in the comic books but it adds to the story. I had my concerns at first when Henry Cavill was cast as Clark Kent/Superman. He proved he can play Superman but we didn't get to see theMan of Steel is the Superman movie that I've been waiting for! From the beginning to the end Superman never slows down. Even at the beginning of the movie the destruction of Krypton is more complicated than in the comic books but it adds to the story. I had my concerns at first when Henry Cavill was cast as Clark Kent/Superman. He proved he can play Superman but we didn't get to see the Clark Kent nerdy reporter side but for the most part I'm sold on him as Superman. Seeing Superman fly at high speeds and fight the other kryptonians was amazing! Critics did not give this movie a fair shake its one of the best superhero movies I've seen. Finally I'm happy to say Man of Steel is superb,amazing, and Super! 9 out of 10 Expand
  97. Apr 28, 2015
    More space opera than superhero movie, Man Of Steel, Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot, focuses almost exclusively on the DC Comics icon’s alien backstory. This gamble doesn’t entirely pay off; by effectively denying Superman his defining traits—his complex relationships to duty and humanity—the movie robs the character of any depth or agency. Decisions, not daring, shape heroes, and since ManMore space opera than superhero movie, Man Of Steel, Zack Snyder’s Superman reboot, focuses almost exclusively on the DC Comics icon’s alien backstory. This gamble doesn’t entirely pay off; by effectively denying Superman his defining traits—his complex relationships to duty and humanity—the movie robs the character of any depth or agency. Decisions, not daring, shape heroes, and since Man Of Steel’s Superman never has a chance to make a decision, he never registers as anything more than a handsome, inscrutable alien with a smug smirk.

Man Of Steel opens on planet Krypton, a Roger Dean prog-rock album cover filtered through the sensibilities of David Lynch’s Dune. There, tough-guy scientist Jor-El, played by Russell Crowe, pleads with the planet’s government to take action against a coming environmental cataclysm. (This is the first of the movie’s many half-hearted attempts at political relevance, which culminate in Superman punching out a Predator drone.) However, a coup by Michael Shannon’s General Zod interrupts the proceedings, leaving Crowe no choice but to steal a MacGuffin called the Codex and launch it into space along with his newborn son, Kal-El. As Krypton implodes, Kal-El’s spacecraft crash-lands in a field in Kansas.

The movie then leaps forward 33 years to find the adult Kal-El, now played by Henry Cavill, aimlessly drifting around Nova Scotia and working odd jobs. The discovery of an ancient Kryptonian spacecraft in Northern Canada brings Cavill into contact with Amy Adams’ Lois Lane; it also alerts Shannon, who survived the destruction of Krypton, to Cavill’s location. The rest of the film is set over a couple of days, as Cavill fights Shannon and his gang in a series of superpowered battles, all of which are admittedly pretty cool-looking; interspersed throughout are flashbacks to Cavill’s childhood as well as comically insistent product placement for IHOP.

Man Of Steel eschews the usual trappings of Superman stories—right down to the word “Superman,” which is uttered only once. There’s no Lex Luthor, no Kryptonite, no glasses, no mild-mannered reporter, very little Daily Planet, and even less Metropolis. However, the movie is anything but stripped down; like Snyder’s Sucker Punch, it’s a confused but fascinating mishmash of religious, military, and sexual imagery. One scene finds Cavill framed with a stained-glass Jesus behind him. In another, he—robbed of his powers by a gaping hole in narrative logic—races around a Kryptonian spaceship seemingly designed by H.R. Giger, vulvar doorways and all.

Cavill—whose performance involves more posing than acting—is alternately presented as an alien messiah, a superweapon, and an American flag flapping in the wind; the one thing he never gets to be is a character. As a result, Man Of Steel sometimes feels like arty advertising—the tentpole movie equivalent of a car ad that invokes images of freedom or luxury without ever mentioning the price or specifications.
  98. Jul 15, 2013
    This movie is hands down one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. It captures Superman perfectly, showing off just about all of his powers, and giving a very good retelling of his origin story. I think this movie is better than any of the Superman movies that came before it, because those movies were all about crazy fun, and no seriousness whatsoever. However, this movie isThis movie is hands down one of the best superhero movies I've ever seen. It captures Superman perfectly, showing off just about all of his powers, and giving a very good retelling of his origin story. I think this movie is better than any of the Superman movies that came before it, because those movies were all about crazy fun, and no seriousness whatsoever. However, this movie is almost totally serious, and is more like a modern day superhero movie. The retelling of Superman's origin story is done flawlessly, and is relatively easy to follow. It was very nice seeing how Clark Kent turned from an outcast at school into the world's greatest superhero. It had a pretty cool villain too. The special effects of this movie are phenomenal, making the entire movie look great. All of the explosions and punches sounded very good, and the CGI is flawless. The movie really is a sight to behold and listen to. However, the best thing about this movie in my opinion is the soundtrack. Hans Zimmer did a fantastic job with this movie's score, and I think that it is the best soundtrack that he has ever composed. In case you are wondering why, well not only does it sound amazing but he achieved the impossible: making a soundtrack that could top John William's Superman soundtrack. Yes, I think that this movie's soundtrack does indeed top John William's soundtrack. The reasoning behind this is that despite John William's fantastic job with the original Superman score, it only seemed to capture Superman's heroic side, and not enough of his emotional side. Hans Zimmer manages to capture both sides with his incredible soundtrack, which in my opinion, makes his soundtrack better than John Williams' in this case. The movie is also very well written and acted. The writers wrote the lines perfectly for this movie, and the casting and acting were also done very well. Overall, I believe that this is a truly fantastic movie, and the critics are rating it far lower than they should. This movie has not only more than earned my vote for movie of the year, but it is also a perfect movie that brings back one of the world's most iconic characters in history. Expand
  99. Jul 2, 2013
    Great movie. I never liked Superman, thought he was cheesy and the costume was ridiculous and the curled front hair was just plain stupid. I could not see how they could bring Superman to the screen without making it just horrible. I was blown away... what a fantastic movie.

I love how the story is segmented and the cinematography was great. The fighting scenes blew me away... I felt every punch. Everything had power, power and more power. The female baddy was just awesome...

Fantastic how they described the origin of Superman, and how they explain the most cheesy aspects of Superman in a non-cheese way. The "S" is not an "S". Thank god! I'm glad they did that. I wish they'd explain the cape though... and when they flash back to when he was a kid wearing a cape... where was his inspiration? Was there a superhero he emulated? Makes you wonder... otherwise without Superman, the cape wouldn't really exist and in the movie he'd be a weird kid wearing a cape for no known reason.

The only part I hated was Lois Lane. She's a ballsy reported and I just didn't get that. Poor acting on her behalf. And then, all of the sudden, this reporter is involved in all these military actions. Please! Also, Superman is fighting in space, through buildings in the city, and Lois and the side characters just always happen to be near.

I was dissapointed in the end with Clark Kent. I was hoping they'd not have that in the movie. Everything that seemed ridiculous about Superman they addressed... but just putting on glasses to hide your identity. He's the most talked about person in that world, and nobody thinks that might be him. Oye!

Love how Man of Steel had that science fiction feel to it. Bravo!

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.