7.6

1. lox
    Dec 10, 2013
    Not sure if I'm in the minority on this one, but this movie was overall a disappointing mess. Being at least produced by Chris Nolan, I expected so much more. Instead what I got was a snobby Lois Lane who had terribly modest and even cheesy dialogue, a "Superman" who was developed in a rather sloppy way, unintentionally hilarious moments, and a villain who yelled at the camera half of theNot sure if I'm in the minority on this one, but this movie was overall a disappointing mess. Being at least produced by Chris Nolan, I expected so much more. Instead what I got was a snobby Lois Lane who had terribly modest and even cheesy dialogue, a "Superman" who was developed in a rather sloppy way, unintentionally hilarious moments, and a villain who yelled at the camera half of the time. Not to go overboard, I will simply say that I did not like this movie. I can acknowledge some pros though: the Super suit was cool, Zod's "purpose for which I was born" monologue in the final act was cool, and the sequences in space were breathtaking. Still, Man of Steel had nearly NO CROWD PLEASING MOMENTS....the comic relief moments spread in the movie were a hit-or-miss and would gain maybe one chuckle or a laugh out of the audience. And don't get me started on the action sequences....don't get me wrong, I love a good action movie, when it's well served. I highly enjoyed Fast 6 because it didn't try to be more than what it was, a simple mindless action-packed popcorn flick with well-placed humor and overall solid pacing. However Man of Steels action....boy was I bored by it. Explosions and skyscrapers collapsing left and right and even some annoying shaky cam in certain sequences that voided any chances of my investment. One of my friends mentioned two Easter eggs in the film: A Luthor truck and a satellite in space owned by Wayne Industries...BUT... since I WASN'T invested in the movie thanks to a sloppy and awkwardly paced script, I didn't notice these Easter eggs at all unfortunately. I personally felt also that the opening in Krypton was cool at first, but soon became over-extended. Am I the only one who felt that the special effects in this film weren't that impressive? If I am, so be it. Clark Kent/Kal-El's development was rather modest...it could've been done much better and more depth could've been put into it. Instead, the scenes of his upbringing would come in awkwardly and they felt kind of intrusive at times. This movie felt very inconsistent in terms of writing. Man of Steel's pacing was incredibly sloppy. One scene Kal-El was in a ship, then he was in a bar, then he was in the north pole, then he was suddenly Superman. Yeah, not very consistent pacing if you ask me. Overall, I was incredibly disappointed by this film. I really wanted to love Man of Steel. I wanted an excellent Superman flick with a terrific origins story that resembled the quality of Batman Begins. Man of Steel was hyped up well, but terribly under-delivered. Expand
  2. Dec 9, 2013
    This is the quintessential Superman Movie to date. It pays its respects to the source material and delivers a superman that people have been waiting to see. Snyder delivers on the action and Cavill's both physical appearance and personality is the Superman I grew up with since watching the animated series through to justice league and any recent adaptations. There is no Kryptonite andThis is the quintessential Superman Movie to date. It pays its respects to the source material and delivers a superman that people have been waiting to see. Snyder delivers on the action and Cavill's both physical appearance and personality is the Superman I grew up with since watching the animated series through to justice league and any recent adaptations. There is no Kryptonite and Superman punches people. Thank you Mr Snyder. Cant wait for Superman Vs Batman Expand
  3. Dec 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A compelling gritty story and a different take on The Man Of Steel we've not seen on film before but closer to the comic book incarnation. You have to accept change and a different Superman to what you've seen in previous movies to like Man Of Steel a lot of critics have disliked this but gave Superman Return's a good review why i don't know because Man Of Steel cast wise, story and character interpretation and the new take of this character is so much more compelling, touching and action orientated. It's the Superman story and the musical score is brilliant not one minute of the movie do you think of the original score. I was amazed, you can't please all of the people. you get three set's of fan's the hardcore DC fan's who will understand this take and like and love the movie. The cinema goers who love Superhero movie's and will like this because they want to be entertained and come out and be wowed then the fan's who are picky, go to a cinema to be negative, go to a cinema to come out and say that was horrible i liked Superman return's even though a week they hated Superman Return's. Who ever hasn't seen Man Of Steel then ask the first & second category of movie goers. Expand
  4. Dec 8, 2013
    Epic in scale but tight in focus, this is city-breaking action with a close eye on character and a great set-up for an exciting new franchise. Full review later.
  5. Dec 8, 2013
    Excellent movie, well done, Zack Snyder does a great job. Hand Nolan and Goyer of emotional moments that was noticeable, and I hope the sequel with a lot of spirit.
  6. Dec 8, 2013
    This is one of those few clear cases of critics doing the most. This movie has the most impacting action ever in a super-hero movie. That´s a great point. The character is difficult to handle by nature, so I think they did a really good job. It was very entertaining, it gets better in a second watch, and I also like the way they portrayed the female character. All actors were good. It wasThis is one of those few clear cases of critics doing the most. This movie has the most impacting action ever in a super-hero movie. That´s a great point. The character is difficult to handle by nature, so I think they did a really good job. It was very entertaining, it gets better in a second watch, and I also like the way they portrayed the female character. All actors were good. It was about time Superman got a serious film, a decent one. It is darker than what I thought, and that´s another point. The score is absolutely perfect for the movie. Just the whole first part in Krypton alone is surprisingly enjoyable and well put together. Super hero movies can´t really make it to the best films of the year. But damn it, this was the best summer blockbuster of 2013 (Iron Man 3 being the worst, as usual) Definitely. Can´t wait for the upcoming sequels. They got it right guys! Expand
  7. Dec 8, 2013
    Very overrated movie. Henry Cavill does a great job as Superman, but the character Zod lacks the depth that he had in smallville and is overall very bland. The thing that surprised me most was the extreme death count of innocent bystanders, it was ridiculous and not in keeping with Superman's history at all. Superman is supposed to do everything he can to keep the innocent people safe (toVery overrated movie. Henry Cavill does a great job as Superman, but the character Zod lacks the depth that he had in smallville and is overall very bland. The thing that surprised me most was the extreme death count of innocent bystanders, it was ridiculous and not in keeping with Superman's history at all. Superman is supposed to do everything he can to keep the innocent people safe (to the point of risking his own life), but in this movie he did not seem to care at all. Overall the plot is hardly immersing and the actress that played Lois was a horrible choice. It's an "ok" movie like most Superman movies, but not great. Expand
  8. Dec 4, 2013
    I love this adaptation, is spectacular, the origin of clark seemed great, it's a good start. It has stunning fights, stunning battles. It is an epic masterpiece.
  9. Dec 4, 2013
    That this is a great movie, it's epic, it's huge, a great story, great script. I found it very dynamic, flawless and is very good overall. I do not understand people who criticized simply are Marvelistas resentful.
  10. Dec 2, 2013
    Let me first say this, if there's an action hero that I always disliked it was Superman. Superman stories were always a giant mess of gigantic nonsense and plot holes bigger than Yellowstone National Park.

This movie manages to bring a superman that fits and while the movie isn't perfect at all, its a very good movie, I enjoyed it for the most part. Characters 6 They tried to get

Characters 6
    They tried to get out of the 60's, 70's cliches, but its hard, the workarounds to get the characters into a more XXI's century culture didn't work in my opinion.

Plot 6
    Maybe too much in one movie, maybe I'm wrong, but it just felt too much, still the plot is nice, doesn't have big holes in it, which for a superman movie is big achievement, things happens always at the right time for everyone that matters to be saved which in my opinion is what makes the plot a little weak, considering that the movie seems to attempt to bring "realism" into the story, it fails miserably, if you want to redefine superman into the new age, then don't be afraid of doing only half.
    SPOILER(stop this nonsense that only the grunts, the bad guys and some random civilians no one cares about will die.)

Action 9
    Almost flawless, it achieves exactly what I think they wanted, the action sequences are brutal and well made, something that you can watch many times and not get tired of seeing them.

Drama 8
    You know, its all about the search for humanity and so on, I think it has a little too much unnecessary drama, but its well made, you watch it without rolling your eyes, so its nice.

Acting 7
    I'm not a good judge of this, but it didn't felt very good.

Special Effects 10
    Simply put, extremely detailed perfection.

Cinematography 8
    Its nice, its one of those movies where you don't really notice it, meaning it suits the movie well, but also means it wasn't extraordinary.

Soundtrack and Sound Effects 7
    Just like Cinematography, nothing stands out, but there's some sound effects that stand out for the negative, its like they just placed them there because they sound very "cool", that is bad but not that bad since they were indeed, cool.

This isn't a movie that I will watch again, probably ever, but, the action sequences where special effects excel, those I can watch over and over again, a good movie to see if you are in the mood for it, if you are not, then you won't like it very much.
  11. Dec 1, 2013
    Others have described this film as having a "businesslike" tone, and I would agree. there are numerous plot holes, enough to keep this from a rating of 7 or 8. As a comic-book nerd, I'm used to seeing different takes on Superman's origin, and I really enjoyed that aspect of this film. The first 30-40 minutes are less superhero flick and more sci-fi.
    If you can deal with something
    If you can deal with something different than the Christopher Reeve films, and can ignore some holes and inconsistencies in storytelling, you'll enjoy this one.
  12. Nov 30, 2013
    This movie is a great new look on Superman, this movie is a terrible look at superman. This movie is a great new look at cinema while it also is said to have killed movie. This movie is so controversial that I say it is just meh. The people who like it don't see the problems while the people who hate it don't see the good side. To me with every good thing there is a bad thing. This is aThis movie is a great new look on Superman, this movie is a terrible look at superman. This movie is a great new look at cinema while it also is said to have killed movie. This movie is so controversial that I say it is just meh. The people who like it don't see the problems while the people who hate it don't see the good side. To me with every good thing there is a bad thing. This is a movie I shall 4 times and never again. Expand
  13. Nov 29, 2013
    man of steel was the most over-hyped movie of the entire year,
    so was it worth it you might ask and the answer is very easy, NO.
    i actually felt bad and disappointing because i was so anticipating this movie, and i felt stupid afterward, cause there is so much plots mistakes it's almost unwatchable, unless you the kinda guy who ignore major details to have fun, i can't do that, cause
    man of steel was the most over-hyped movie of the entire year,
    so was it worth it you might ask and the answer is very easy, NO.
    i actually felt bad and disappointing because i was so anticipating this movie,
    unless you the kinda guy who ignore major details to have fun, i can't do that, cause for me everything have to make sense
    and this movie unfortunately does not make any, i mean i felt mad after watching iron man 3 because of plot mistakes,
    after this i can gladly make iron man 3 my favorite movie of 2013.
  14. Nov 29, 2013
    Film so epic, awesome and spectacular, very good history, action script, all in general. It's a movie hated by many fans of films like Avengers or Iron Man 3 is envy because they have to Avengers has not even those battles.
  15. Nov 28, 2013
    It lacks character developement and has repetitive over the top action sequences. However, this reboot of Superman delivers emotionally and follows a sturdy plot for a mostly successful resurrection of a superhero.
  16. Nov 27, 2013
    I went in to this movie excited and with high expectations. These were met and then some. I personally thought the pacing of the movie was brilliant. The cinematography was beautiful and the mix of CGI, not to mention how realistic everything looked, was integrated extremely well. I thought Henry Cavill portrayed Superman flawlessly and the supporting cast were excellent.

I know the

I know the movie has been criticized for lengthy action scenes, but I thought they were appropriate for the scope of the movie Superman is extremely powerful and, unlike some weaker superheroes, deserves bigger and longer action/fight sequences. In other words, 10 minute fight scenes with loads of destruction are appropriate for this film/character. However, I can understand completely how this would turn off less hardcore fans of the superhero genre.

I also got a great Nolan vibe from the movie, reminiscent of the dark knight trilogy. I was thoroughly entertained throughout, especially to the point where I had a cheesy smile practically the entire film. Personally, I loved this movie and believe it to be the first film to accurately give Superman's character and story the justice it so rightly deserves. I cannot wait for the upcoming sequel.
  17. Nov 23, 2013
    I never usually watch Superman films, as it is not something that really does it for me, however this film took me by surprise.
    A fully entertaining movie with some great actors.
    Action is well paced and thought out, this film is brilliant.
  18. Nov 23, 2013
    This is the best superman movie ever made. Unfortunately, it is still unwatchable. This movie had a bad plot,and dragged on far too long. The fight scenes all felt like they should have ended 10 minutes befor they actually did. At the half way point I was begging for it to be over. I strongly suggest you avoid this one at all costs.
  19. Nov 19, 2013
    Yeah, this was not very good at all, and a borderline Turd. I payed $5.99 to watch it, and I'm still not able to look in the mirror. Too many cheeseball lines, that couldn't be saved by good actors. In the middle of a catastrophic battle with aliens on a main street, was it necessary for Superman to say "Stay inside, it's not safe"?. No, it wasn't. Also, Dad...if you ever read this review,Yeah, this was not very good at all, and a borderline Turd. I payed $5.99 to watch it, and I'm still not able to look in the mirror. Too many cheeseball lines, that couldn't be saved by good actors. In the middle of a catastrophic battle with aliens on a main street, was it necessary for Superman to say "Stay inside, it's not safe"?. No, it wasn't. Also, Dad...if you ever read this review, I want you to know that you can count on me to save you from dying in a tornado I don't care if they find out I'm really fast. Expand
  20. Nov 15, 2013
    The soulless byproduct of committee thinking: no heart, no warmth, no character, no charm; and a script that has all of the narrative sophistication of the back of a dozen cereal boxes stapled together and left in the rain.
  21. Nov 15, 2013
    I did not like this movie. Watching (nearly) indestructable people throw each other into objects is pretty boring. Then Superman simply breaks the bad guys neck...like why didn't he just do that in the first place. Looking back on it I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from watching it. I like some of Zach Snyders other movies, this screwed the pooch in my opinion.
  22. Nov 14, 2013
    What a disappointment! What a cobbled together reel of clips, jumping from place to place and time to time! With nonsensical renditions of SOME of the historical elements, and new illusions that make the ongoing story virtually impossible, as Lois knows who he is from the beginning!

Also, since no one even knew him before he became the reason for this invasion of Earth and its possible annihilation, who would want the guy around!?

And, what's with the incessant destruction, without regard for human life, as they meaninglessly push each other around through buildings, knowing they're supposedly invulnerable!

This looks more like another silly effort for a franchise that could be one of the best movies every year it came out, with a lineage like James Bond but superhuman; but they keep getting these troubled, misguided directors who want to recreate the myth! It's ridiculous!
  23. Nov 14, 2013
    This looks like a (similar) job for Superman! Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Super… Excuse me. For a big budget motion picture remake of perhaps the most recognizable comic book superhero Man of Steel is a tamely run-of-the-mill effort. It is generic blockbuster personified, and is a bleak, characterless, lacklustre, uninspiring, disjointed and overly rigid entry inThis looks like a (similar) job for Superman! Look, up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Super… Excuse me. For a big budget motion picture remake of perhaps the most recognizable comic book superhero Man of Steel is a tamely run-of-the-mill effort. It is generic blockbuster personified, and is a bleak, characterless, lacklustre, uninspiring, disjointed and overly rigid entry in an intermittent franchise, which ironically struggles to take off. What's the "S" stand for? Well in my world it stands for Super-Serious as opposed to Superman. Never before has a superhero been so unwilling to express any discernible passion for their cause, simply maintaining an impassive poker face the whole time. The fate of mankind hangs in the balance, Superman to the rescue! Screams excitement right; however, Zack Snyder has somehow turned this tried and tested premise into a dreary, rather monotonous exploit, even if the visuals and set pieces verge on stunning; more dull and lifeless than dark and gritty. Henry Cavill is cool, calm and collected as Superman; however, he comes across overly reserved and emotionless far too often. Cavills' steely resolve is rarely visibly tested even if the goings-on impart otherwise, rendering his portrayal of Superman a tad difficult to adhere to on a humanistic level. In addition to this, he appears sound in the fabled suit but his rendering of the celebrated superhero comes across too deliberate and noticeably premeditated, although he does find his feet towards the end when the movie is given a much-needed shot of adrenaline. Man of Steel lacks fluidity, it is apportioned with often brisk and abrupt scene changes, and provides an unkempt collation and abstract composition of extracts and gestures to scenes from other movies. It is also complacent on character introduction, being naive in thinking we all know about the characters enough to not have to shed too much light on them; notably a lackadaisical introduction to Lois Lane and her backstory, further marred by a romance kindled out of thin air. All in all, Man of Steel supplies a moderately attention-grabbing experience, albeit unhurried and void of any palpable sentiment. In addition, it does not break any new ground and sets an overstatedly grim-faced tone that future installments in the notoriously up-and-down series that has experienced its fair share of highs and lows in the past will have to address if they are to garner the widespread approval of the audience.

Maybe somebody should have gave Superman's cape a tug and told him you're doing it wrong.

For more movie reviews visit: http://toddsmoviereviews.blogspot.co.uk
  24. Nov 14, 2013
    Man Of Steel is movie that will split the audience in two. Gone is the humor and the light coloring,what there is left is a serious take on Superman, one that takes also makes changes big and suttle.

The basic superhero formula is gone, and if you expect Clark Kent, comes to town to save humanity, then you will be disappointed. Man Of Steel is about an Alien, that has to come to terms with this fact, to fit in and utimately make a choice good or bad.

And just because you have these superpowers and could cause mayhem as in total annihalation or be that individual that helps other and humanity doesn't mean that you from birth is given this kind of morality nor commitment. And this is basically what this movie does. It makes us understand that Kal-EL is as complex as he is strong.

The movie also shows us what his powers can actually do, and the destruction caused by these powers are more than huge they are out of this world.

To me as an adult, Man Of Steel is finally the movie that gives me what I would expect from a Superman movie 2013.
    Superman is holier than thou material, and as such I can understand, some of the bad reviews, but they miss the fundamental fabric of this movie, that it isn't supposed to mimic or replace Donners movies.
  25. Nov 13, 2013
    Man of Steel is a really good movie, it has the the best visuals ive ever seen, there where moments in the movie when my jaw dropped. Man of Steel is actually more believable than any other Superman movie ive seen. Henry Caville and Amy Adams are great as Superman and Lois Lane. This movie also has amazing music playing in the background for many of the serious or sad scenes. Man of SteelMan of Steel is a really good movie, it has the the best visuals ive ever seen, there where moments in the movie when my jaw dropped. Man of Steel is actually more believable than any other Superman movie ive seen. Henry Caville and Amy Adams are great as Superman and Lois Lane. This movie also has amazing music playing in the background for many of the serious or sad scenes. Man of Steel is a great movie overall, it has the best super hero fight ive ever seen and does not deserve all the negative reviews from the critics. Overall Score= 83/100 Expand
  26. Nov 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've always hated Superman, and didn't want to watch this. Don't listen to the haters on this one. It's fantastic. Easily in the top 3 comic book movies. The makers took all the lame, corny stuff out of Superman, and made him believable, humanly emotional, and gave him moral decisions to make. People need to realize that sometime in war people die, and the bad guy needs to be stopped no matter what. Expand
  27. Nov 13, 2013
    Talk about failing upward. Zack Snyder's three previous films got exponentially worse. From 300, to Watchmen, to the almost unwatchable Sucker Punch, how Mr. Snyder was given the brass ring of rebooting the Superman franchise is beyond me. His visual style is unquestionable. There are frames that could be hung as artwork, but as a storyteller Snyder is ponderous and dull. Granted, Man OfTalk about failing upward. Zack Snyder's three previous films got exponentially worse. From 300, to Watchmen, to the almost unwatchable Sucker Punch, how Mr. Snyder was given the brass ring of rebooting the Superman franchise is beyond me. His visual style is unquestionable. There are frames that could be hung as artwork, but as a storyteller Snyder is ponderous and dull. Granted, Man Of Steel is his best work since 300 (I feel Dawn Of The Dead his best so far), and the set pieces are spectacularly staged, but 2 and a half hours of earnest, EARNEST material about a flying alien Christ figure is a bit much. The only hint of humor is the refusal to even say the name "Superman" (maybe spoken twice during the whole movie). I'm not saying we have to dive into the overdrawn characters of the Donner version, or people speaking in witty banter like The Avengers, but a little humor goes a long way. The acting across the board was fine..hey, I actually didn't hate Crowe, as I have most of his roles lately. And the technical credits were all first class. Expand
  28. Nov 12, 2013
    Devoid of any real relation with the previous Reeve classics,but Amy Adams and Henry Cavill are an interesting couple for future films, and Michael Shannon's decent dramatic role helps with the scripts plot holes, which are more numerous than should be, and tedious pacing. I liked it, didn't love it.
  29. Nov 12, 2013
    As much as I wanted to like this movie, it was terrible. Not a funny terrible, but a forgettable atrocious experience. Acting's off in many scenes, green screen is large and destroys the epic flight scenes, everything about this movie that could've been good is squandered by this need to go beyond what was necessary. The saving grace is it's potential, but it ultimately falls flat. I goAs much as I wanted to like this movie, it was terrible. Not a funny terrible, but a forgettable atrocious experience. Acting's off in many scenes, green screen is large and destroys the epic flight scenes, everything about this movie that could've been good is squandered by this need to go beyond what was necessary. The saving grace is it's potential, but it ultimately falls flat. I go with the critics on this one; it wasn't great by any means. Expand
  30. Nov 11, 2013
    Cavill is convincing as Superman, the visual effects are of top quality and there is a lot of destruction. Unfortunately the plot is predictable, the battles are more like a show than a dramatic struggle to save the Earth (Superman is completely unharmed, entire city blocks collapse but no civilians are killed) and Amy Smart is boring as Lois. It's a good Superman movie but it's notCavill is convincing as Superman, the visual effects are of top quality and there is a lot of destruction. Unfortunately the plot is predictable, the battles are more like a show than a dramatic struggle to save the Earth (Superman is completely unharmed, entire city blocks collapse but no civilians are killed) and Amy Smart is boring as Lois. It's a good Superman movie but it's not exciting.
    argonautis.eu
  31. Nov 11, 2013
    I had a good impression to seeing the film. The story isn't neither too simply and banal nor too difficult to follow.
    The character have been reinvented and rewritten with good results. For me has been a success. I think that on the base of this movie is possible to launch an interesting trilogy. Maybe was properly that who wanted the producer after abandoned the last film launched in 2006
  32. Nov 10, 2013
    This was the Superman movie I've always wished for. For so long I wanted to see Superman kick ass, and finally I got the movie I wanted. Previous Superman movies focused too much on romance, and his double-life as Clark Kent, and not enough on the fact that he's damn powerful. I loved every battle, especially the final one.
  33. Nov 10, 2013
    "Man of Steel" is decent enough. Yes, there are problems in this 2-1/2hr epic but overall it gets its job done. My main problems are with the casting of all the major characters (Henry is great but he's too pretty, I wanted a grittier Superman and Zod was not menacing enough), the wholesome childhood, the lack of emotional reaction when he finds out he's from another freakin' world, and"Man of Steel" is decent enough. Yes, there are problems in this 2-1/2hr epic but overall it gets its job done. My main problems are with the casting of all the major characters (Henry is great but he's too pretty, I wanted a grittier Superman and Zod was not menacing enough), the wholesome childhood, the lack of emotional reaction when he finds out he's from another freakin' world, and how Lois Lane can't stay out of scenes. Then there's the very final scene where he joins the Daily Planet which makes absolutely no sense in the context of this re-telling, I mean, the dude just saved the entire planet from some very bad characters so now he takes a menial job at a newspaper. I guess they have to adhere to canon but it's just so unmotivated in 2013. Expand
  34. Nov 10, 2013
    The Superman comic book fans have been waiting for! First movie to truly depict his power in real world terms as close as visualized in its source material. This movie is not for the faint of heart or children, it has plenty of powerful action and violence, but it reflects what the amount of destruction comics have often in the comics (e.g., read: *Death of Superman* comic book arc) andThe Superman comic book fans have been waiting for! First movie to truly depict his power in real world terms as close as visualized in its source material. This movie is not for the faint of heart or children, it has plenty of powerful action and violence, but it reflects what the amount of destruction comics have often in the comics (e.g., read: *Death of Superman* comic book arc) and necessary to give a sense of what a Kryptonian invasion could look like, if these characters were real.

The story itself is unoriginal as origin stories go, but Superman has always been unoriginal since his conception. If you can stomach violent scenes, this movie is A Must See!
  35. Nov 7, 2013
    Though fans might miss the levity that made Richard Donner's classic 1978 film Superman: The Movie such a game-changing joy, the thing that really sells this respectful reboot is the dramatic conviction underlying all the mega-scale mayhem.
  36. Nov 4, 2013
    In a word: Absurd. Is extremely predictable and full of absurd situations also, actors performances are not very good. I do not understand why the developers created it this film this way...

Perhaps it was only designed for children.
  37. Nov 4, 2013
    This was a terrible film. A terribly-told story that was poorly paced and needlessly convoluted. Cavill as Superman is well cast and the photography is visually pleasing. Other than that, this was a total miss.
  38. Nov 3, 2013
    Simply the best movie of the year, Man of Steel, based on the story that counts, unique special effects, great actors, great director, could only leave a great movie too, thought of every detail so that pleased everyone, with a beginning adventurer takes shape throughout the film breakneck action, battles worthy of a Superman story is consecrated with the flashbacks, Clark's parents, theSimply the best movie of the year, Man of Steel, based on the story that counts, unique special effects, great actors, great director, could only leave a great movie too, thought of every detail so that pleased everyone, with a beginning adventurer takes shape throughout the film breakneck action, battles worthy of a Superman story is consecrated with the flashbacks, Clark's parents, the planet Krypton, General. Eagerly looking forward to the sequel promises much more to come and the Justice League. Expand
  39. Nov 1, 2013
    It's certainly not perfect, but Man Of Steel is a nonetheless an excellent reboot, to say the least. It completely changed my perspective of Superman (who I never had been a huge fan of) and adds many new additions to the Superman story. My only complaint is that Clark and Lois's relationship was very rushed; they start kissing after meeting each other for like only three days! I liked theIt's certainly not perfect, but Man Of Steel is a nonetheless an excellent reboot, to say the least. It completely changed my perspective of Superman (who I never had been a huge fan of) and adds many new additions to the Superman story. My only complaint is that Clark and Lois's relationship was very rushed; they start kissing after meeting each other for like only three days! I liked the beginning that showed us a glimpse of Krypton and developed Superman's backstory and origins. I liked the cast, especially Faora and General Zod.

If you liked this review, read my other ones on a wide variety of movies and TV shows by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. Remember, every vote counts!
  40. Oct 31, 2013
    this movie sucks so badly. i think superman return 2006 was better then this crap.............................. F THIS MOVIE...................................................................it sucks. the acting is terrible and the action isnt very good
  41. Oct 27, 2013
    amazing movie can't wait for the sequel superman is back general zod was awesome strong performance man of steel does have some flaws but it makes it up by giving new taste to the grandfather of superheroes
  42. Oct 27, 2013
    the best superman movie i've ever seen.....the origin of superman is so boldly represented at this movie which really is awesome. i like the appearance of superman very much. specially the costume is extraordinary than any other superman movies or series es. the actions were amazing. it sets superman as a real hero in each and every mind i think.......
  43. Oct 27, 2013
    for me this was the most awaited film this year, my expectation about this movie was on top, but this movie was another big disappointment for me as it was iron man 3.
  44. Oct 27, 2013
    I'm not sure that any director or writing team could fit enough Superman lore into one movie and it being enough. Superman's story is just far to long and complex. With that being said I am utterly surprised just how good this movie was. I was expecting it to be a major letdown. But for what it is Zack Snyder delivered this generation's Superman and showed it as much love and attention asI'm not sure that any director or writing team could fit enough Superman lore into one movie and it being enough. Superman's story is just far to long and complex. With that being said I am utterly surprised just how good this movie was. I was expecting it to be a major letdown. But for what it is Zack Snyder delivered this generation's Superman and showed it as much love and attention as the screen time allowed.

However I do have a few gripes:
    1) First time I have ever complain that there is too much action. The movie is an exciting roller coaster, and like a roller coaster rider to much for too long can leave you a little nauseated. A few pauses, perhaps with some rich narrative, between battle would have been nice.
    2) While I get this is a reimagining, I'm a little bummed about there being no Kryptonite, at least not in the traditional sense. But at the very least it wasn't ruled out, so it is still possible to it in future movies.
    3) While Zod gives a great performance, Faora seriously steals the show every scene she's in. She is more what I expect Zod to be. Zod's OK but I found him to sympathetic.

Overall:
    Grievances aside, I had a blast watching this movie. While it my have been the action movie equivalent of a sugar rush, it was a great rush and I look forward to future installments.
  45. Oct 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Incredibly average reboot that relies on excessive CGI (a' la Transformers) to try to make an impact, but misses the mark script wise in so many ways.

Zod is badly cast and nowhere near villainous enough to be a compelling main enemy, Kent's parents are shocking role models, and Lois Lane was wetter than a mermaid's brassiere...

Also, I still don't quite get why they felt the need to cast Laurence Fishburne in the role of Perry White, he was criminally underused and the job could just as easily have been played by any old actor they'd simply pulled off the street and thrown a script!

Whilst the CGI is ok, the plot and overall pacing just don't work, with the laughably poor 'disguise' to end the film, being the crowning turd in the water bowl.

If you're into the typical action popcorn flick that seems to have taken over modern cinema these days, then chances are you'll find it fairly entertaining, but die hard comic fans and anyone who doesn't clap at the end of a movie in the cinema can find more interesting fare in many other places...
  46. Oct 24, 2013
    Finally a Superman movie the way it's supposed to be. Sure I had some minor problems with it (Lois' character ends up becoming a sidekick, some continuity issues), but overall, the directors do a great job of showing why he is the 'Man' of Steel. There's moments of genuine tension because one actually doesn't know if Superman is going to be able to save the day. "How is he going to do it?"Finally a Superman movie the way it's supposed to be. Sure I had some minor problems with it (Lois' character ends up becoming a sidekick, some continuity issues), but overall, the directors do a great job of showing why he is the 'Man' of Steel. There's moments of genuine tension because one actually doesn't know if Superman is going to be able to save the day. "How is he going to do it?" is a valid question in this film, unlike Brian Singer's 2006 martyr depicting disaster in which it was just assumed that Superman somehow wins (aside from the incredibly stupid plot). Focusing on the origin story also gives us insight into the superhero abilities of the character and the limits of his power; not the god like omnipotent Superman that critics love, but a superhero with abilities and powers that have weaknesses (otherwise Green Lantern would never be a match for Superman). This is a movie that will delight fans of the superhero and the comics, not over intellectualizing critics who love the 'idea' of Superman and what he represents. As for the action a nicely nefarious and destructive earth-destroying plot by the bad guys, fleshed out with some great graphics and art work. Good fight scenes that see Supe getting variously pummelled and also doling out some beatings. Again, that doesn't seem to appeal to the critics who slammed the film for 'too much action'. Dude, this is Superman; if you want character development, watch Pride and Prejudice. Ironically, the critics miss their own portentous pretentiousness when they at once claim the film is too sombre (I think it has an appropriately dark mood) and then ask why the characters and love story aren't the focus. Superman; action-film; ass kicking; excellent. They also seem to miss that Nolan and Snyder manage to masterfully highlight how being a child of two worlds is the central dichotomy of Superman's character and how it hurts him to be alone. It’s not a maudlin love for Lois Lane that’s tearing him apart, it’s the loss of his parents, his planet, his past, his people. He is evolutionarily superior to humans, but chooses to protect them out of love. That is the essence of the character, an idea that previous films have touched upon but never delved into, including the classic, but campy, 70's films. A lot of criticism focused on how the duality of Clark Superman is missing, while missing this obvious duality between the human and the alien that is actually what Superman is about. More to the point, comparisons to the previous ‘Nice-guy’ Superman of yore and the whole idea that the character has lost his ‘innocence’ are almost nauseating; the whole reason Superman is amazing is because he’s a bad-ass, not because he’s a nice guy. In the 70’s it was possible to be a nice guy, witty bad ass, like Chris Reeve, but that kind of humour is completely passé today. The film does have genuine moments of comedy, but they are situational and not forced or driven by an innate image of the character. This Superman is a genuine bad-ass, quite unlike Brendan Routh. Comparisons to The Avengers also miss the point; The Avengers’ quirky humour is a part of the Marvel universe; DC comics have always had a darker, more serious, tone to them that the producers put across well in this film. All in all, a film that critics are sure to hate but that audiences are sure to love. Expand
  47. Oct 21, 2013
    In one super man movie he turns back time, sadly for the franchise this cant be done. It has been cursed to walk the earth as a dry cliche american pie Jesus swagger piece of junk. Avoids it or better yet just skip around and save your self 2 hours.
  48. Oct 21, 2013
    After watching Man of Steel the first time I had mixed feelings, its was an amazing new take. Especially compared to the previous films. The was so much action going on throughout the film.
    But after watching it for the second time i really appreciate this movie in all its own glory. The time was ripe for the new take on the franchise, and Zack did it great, from the actors to the abrupt ending which only show how much the superman character cares about all life in general! Great Movie the more you watch it and can't wait for the sequel!
  49. Oct 20, 2013
    Destroyed New York, ruined millions, (so much damage even mankind itself could not have caused, even starting a world war.) So how many exist olzhen world (I admit that Superman is immortal, will work tirelessly) to wreak damage, do not say more about the benefits of mankind. The film is not bad, but the story would be better.
  50. Oct 20, 2013
    This movie is head on mediocre, there is nothing exceptional in it, no matter how the fan boys proclaiming it as the best superman movie ever. There is a big plot hole issue, and also a quite disturbing Stockholm Syndrome like connection between Superman and Lois Lane.
    Although the CGI is quite spectacular in this piece, it can't bare the weight of the entire production on its shoulders.
  51. Oct 19, 2013
    Never being a superman fan, I came into Man of Steel with no expectations and left feeling pretty awesome. The action scenes were great, the music was fitting the story was good too. All the actors; the Kryptonians, the army dudes, everyone, were really strong. However, the whole Superman and Lois Lane thing didn't work very well, and I felt like they were only hooking up because they wereNever being a superman fan, I came into Man of Steel with no expectations and left feeling pretty awesome. The action scenes were great, the music was fitting the story was good too. All the actors; the Kryptonians, the army dudes, everyone, were really strong. However, the whole Superman and Lois Lane thing didn't work very well, and I felt like they were only hooking up because they were supposed to. Also, the action scenes, while impressive, got a bit out of hand towards the end, with the same superhumans braining each other against buildings for about five minutes straight, which surprisingly DOES get tiring after a while. But I felt the ending was very powerful and the whole washed-out atmosphere of the film worked really well. Any action film fan should see this. Expand
  52. Oct 18, 2013
    It seems that DC has started something brand new in Zack Snyder's: Man of Steel. The movie packs a whole array of characters, suspense and action into its story. It upgrades from Superman Returns and brings a whole new array of elements to the DC Cinematic Universe; if there will be one that is.

Man of Steel brings together a whole bunch of actors to the table and each one of them delivers exceptionally well. Henry Cavill as Superman nails the role perfectly, touching up on not only his physical side but his emotional side too. That's what I like to see, I'd love to see how emotional Superman, who is essentially a god, can touch up on his emotions if he has all this power.

Amy Adams a Lois Lane and Diane Lane and Martha Kent are the leading ladies and boy do they deliver. Adams gives Lane that rough and tough feel about her that was present in comics and DC animated movies and that's what I like about her in this film. Diane Lane's the same who plays that overbearing mother who always cares for Clark/Kal/Supes throughout the whole film. The father figures in the movie are just as good too. Russel Crowe as Jor El and Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent play a rather large role here as they both are great fatherly figures.

However, the big actor in this film has to be that of Michael Shannon as General Zod. He easily stole the show when I watched it and I easily felt creeped whenever he was on the screen. He was menacing, cruel and some could argue that he was a little bit evil. One of the best parts of the film.

However, amongst all the greatness of this movie I feel like there are some flaws that I should address. Superman is seen as the symbol of hope in the comics, animation and hell, even in the movie itself. The reason I'm saying this is because Man of Steel sometimes felt a bit too 'dark knight' for my taste. It's like Snyder and Goyer were trying to Batmanize Superman and that is a big no no. Another thing that bugged me quite a bit was that there was no break from the darkness and no humor was involved in the movie. Just a few light jokes could have easily broke up the Batman type mood that the movie was. But that's I really found wrong with it.

Man of Steel rocks! It is a great film that really dives into what makes Superman who he is, granted there are a few mistakes here and there and one big occurrence that would split the fans down the middle but overall it's amazing. It is easily a contender for my movie of the year!

Pros:
    -Amazing acting
    -Spectacular visuals
    -Superman is reborn!

Cons:
    -Too dark in most stages
    -Little to no humor included
    -Scene that would divide the fans

VERDICT:
  53. Oct 18, 2013
    Man of Steel is probably Christopher Nolan's weakest film he has been apart of, but that takes nothing away from the shear beauty of the film. Even with moments that drag, Man of Steel soars on all other levels.
  54. Oct 17, 2013
    This is one of the best superhero movies ever made. I loved the direction it took; it was very similar to the dark knight series (sans the extensive visual effects) Also like the dark knight series, it was loaded with great actors and sub stories. Hands down to a movie. I consider superior to Iron Man 3.
  55. Oct 13, 2013
    all around it was good with things like effects, action, dialog and so on but i fell that the back story about Clark's past was a bit rushed but at least it was not to long
  56. Oct 5, 2013
    Truly dreadful. I was amazed at how bad it was. I had medium to high expectations when I decided to finally watch it, and maaan was I disappointed. Truth be told, I fell asleep during the movie, and had to watch the rest of it the next day. I am very sad that I did. It sucked!
  57. Sep 25, 2013
    When it comes to superhero movies, everyone has an opinion of which iterations was better. At least for me, Man of Steel brought credibility to Superman who I felt had never been given a real shot at box office success. If we're lucky, Man of Steel will be the first of multiple movies that give Clark Kent and his super-self a chance at showing why Superman is the most powerful superheroWhen it comes to superhero movies, everyone has an opinion of which iterations was better. At least for me, Man of Steel brought credibility to Superman who I felt had never been given a real shot at box office success. If we're lucky, Man of Steel will be the first of multiple movies that give Clark Kent and his super-self a chance at showing why Superman is the most powerful superhero of all time. However, as with other Superman-based movies, it's easy to see how this promising new-beginning could all come crashing down. Mr. Zack Snyder: tread carefully. Expand
  58. Sep 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a Superman fan, this was the reboot I've been waiting for. This movie helped erase all memories of the lackluster Superman Returns and paved the way for a take on the 75 year old character that feels both fresh and energized.

The Good: First and foremost, this is a Sci-Fi story at its core and I loved that most about this movie. It was great to see a look of Krypton that did away with the crystalline structure of the Donner films. This movie feels much closer to some of the more recent comics including elements of John Bryne's Man of Steel and Superman Birthright (where we see Clark traveling around the world and taking up various odd jobs). I really enjoyed the non-linear style of story-telling, it was very reminiscent of Batman Begins. Jumping between an older and younger Clark Kent helped us get to know him, without spending too much time treading on old ground.

Performances: Henry Cavill does an excellent job portraying the Man of Steel. We see a Superman that's lonely, conflicted and struggling to find his place in the world. One of the character traits I, personally have found very relatable. Amy Adams, what can I say, shes awesome. A much better actress and way more attractive than Margot Kidder or to a lesser-extent Kate Bosworth. Michael Shannon nearly stole the show as General Zod, compared to the campy (but still great) performance of Terrance Stamp, we get a Zod that is both ruthless and menacing. Finally, Russell Crowe as Jor-El. One of my favorite characters from the Superman mythos and Crowe absolutely blew me away. He provides the explanations for why Krypton becomes ultimately doomed, why he sends his only son to earth and why Kal-El must use his gifts to help others. Another one of my favorite aspects of the movie was that we got plenty of screen-time with him (both on and off Krypton). I was entertained ;)

Special Effects: The CGI was some of the best I've seen yet! The scenes with Henry flying around are absolutely spectacular and almost realistic looking. Compare that to the final scene in SR where Brandon Routh looks like a poorly modeled PS3 character.

The Not-So-Good: Feels a little rushed in a few areas,Maybe a little too much action for the first movie and not enough time spent developing some of the characters. I'm sure we'll get some more of those in the sequel, but the main focus of this movie is Superman.

Overall: 9.5/10
  59. Sep 17, 2013
    It kind of breaks my heart to see anyone give this movie a high rating, it means that two-dimensional, formulaic movies are more important than character and story. And when you're talking about an iconic character like Superman, I think that's almost a crime. From the get-go, when CGI monsters are attacking Krypton, I knew things were off. The introduction of an "S" as meaningIt kind of breaks my heart to see anyone give this movie a high rating, it means that two-dimensional, formulaic movies are more important than character and story. And when you're talking about an iconic character like Superman, I think that's almost a crime. From the get-go, when CGI monsters are attacking Krypton, I knew things were off. The introduction of an "S" as meaning something Kryptonian is also just silly. There's not even a breath of the Clark Kent many of us grew up reading and watching in film and movies this is a total 'reimagining' this Kent is charmless and dour, and ruled largely by fear in this movie. Fear of being found out, fear of being different. A Superman crafted of these elements tells a totally different story it was never Superman's though. It was Batman's, Spider-Man's, and a ton of other heroes, but never Superman's. The dialogue is so stiff and cheesy, which might work in a comic-book interpretation but here they're trying to make Superman into something emo and pouty, so it just comes off as contrived. The effects are okay and the action works, but that's where all the attention went and for a movie about the origins of a superhero, such a lack of character development is surprising. Then there's just stuff like people wandering around in arctic climates in just a coat, no problem that sort of thing. But the biggest sin of this movie is that instead of being thoughtful, soulful fun built around very solid characters, like the Christopher Reeve movies, this one tries to make huge over-the-top action sequences be the 'fun' part. I just feel it falls short on so many levels. We're not supposed to think of Superman as badass. We're supposed to think of him as our greatest advocate and defender a man of unwavering character who doesn't have to think twice about motive or intent. He always does the right thing, the good thing. He's SUPERMAN. Here he's just an 'every guy' trying to make it in this world with superpowers. Superman was always bigger than that. It is in fact what set him apart from all the Spider-Mans, Wolverines, Green Lanterns, Avengers, etc etc etc. Oh sure, he played cat-and-mouse with his identity (a single pair of glasses magically managed that for him for decades), but I don't think the intent of the story was ever to feel bad about his role, almost like he's a victim. Superman always was, and always should be, a representative of the opposite of that he's the guy who never thinks twice about his role or place and just always strives to do what's right by the human race and does it with a smile. All while being a nerdy reporter on the side. I don't know where any of this went. Expand
  60. Sep 16, 2013
    remember a time when having your main character make jokes wasn't something just reserved for iron man? sigh... me too

is man of steel a good movie? yes. is it THE superman movie? no. in my opinion, the best superman movie will probably be reserved for one of those DC films that they release every year. you know, the ones that they only have on netflix and are drawn by the guys who made the justice league show? the one where the black green lantern was in a relationship with hawkgirl?

getting back on track, Man of Steel is the big movie for DC this summer, and boy does it fall flat on those accusations. from the very beginning of the movie, i was instantly hooked in. the shots that they showed of planet krypton were beautiful. i loved the creativity with such an alien world and how the technology and society had a very organic metallic feel. everything was fun to watch and even more fun to see other characters interact with them. after what you all expect to happen, spoiler krypton won't be found on any maps anytime soon, the movie takes a very intelligent step by making the next 20 minutes or so all about clark being the hero that he is supposed to be. it's about him realizing that his powers are meant for good and that he has the possibility to do great. he isn't in a costume, he isn't flying across the sky, he is just a man.... of steel (i couldn't help myself)

after that however, the movie takes a turn for the worse. once supes gets into his new suit, you'll realize that the filmmakers had a fondness for the color gray. every shot, every scene, every character has a grey color pallet. i'm sorry, but this is superman. this is a figure known globally as a figure of freedom, justice, and the american way. seeing him in this dark and gritty world is extremely out of place. is it nice to see that man of steel (hey, the don't call him superman in the movie...) doesn't have to be as dull as a gallon of cement? yes, but it makes later scenes of man of steel doing uncharacteristically dark actions even more out of place and awkward.

in the end of the day, if you are a fan of superman (of steel), there could be worse superman films to watch (looking at you, superman returns...), but if you were really waiting for something great and original, better wait for the sequel.
  61. Sep 16, 2013
    I have a Love/Hate relationship with this film, i really did like it because it has Superman+Action, but i didn't think the destruction was all that necessary. Not to mention it suffers for having really unforgettable characters including Clark Kent himself. Solid film overall worth a watch to judge for yourself.
  62. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I hated it. The violence was unnecessary, the story was dragged out, and I'm pretty sure Superman killed more people than he actually saved, with all those buildings he destroyed and streets he laid waste to. Expand
  63. Sep 14, 2013
    Superman for the new age, how does it rate? Honestly, quite good- but I feel that this movie shot itself in the foot.
    The story is pretty much a reboot of Superman, how Krypton blew up, a baby was put on a rocket and fired away. Nothing new really, but I liked how it replayed "Supermans" life through arty flashbacks. Nice.
    Great cast, no complaints, all good. Russell Crowe and Kevin
    Great cast, no complaints, all good. Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner (both who played Robin Hood!) also added to well played roles.
    My main complaints are them stretched out blurry action sequences that have no real reason for being there. It reminded me of the sequels to the 00's Spiderman movies where nothing much really happens. I watch movies to see good acting, not sub-par blurred CG with lots of explosions and smashing windows... These sections droll on so it gets monotonous rather than stays "fun".

All in all, its a "good" movie, but it could have been made GREAT!
    A lot of movies seem to fall into the same trap, more quality control is definitely needed to cut down on these 2 hours 30 minute bore fests. Cut off 30 minutes, make a "directors cut" and leave it, PLEASE!
  64. Sep 12, 2013
    Nice movie.. i love Superman, it's really superhero movie. Awesome, i highly recommend it to you if you're fan for example of Superman franchise. I think it's movie is really underrated.
  65. Sep 11, 2013
    This film could have been a great movie had they cut half of the action scenes which, by the way, were poorly directed and clumsily paced. I left the theater with a weird feeling of confusion...was it Superman or did I end up going to a Godzilla movie by mistake...
  66. Sep 9, 2013
    Finally after 3 months of its release, i am writing this review..MAN OF STEEL has become nothing but an underrated movie with low undeserving scores, true its not the best adaptation..but, one cannot simply deny the fact that it was the most successful adaptation of superman on the big screen..lots of exhilarating action..a darker tone on superman unlike the previous ones...we have toFinally after 3 months of its release, i am writing this review..MAN OF STEEL has become nothing but an underrated movie with low undeserving scores, true its not the best adaptation..but, one cannot simply deny the fact that it was the most successful adaptation of superman on the big screen..lots of exhilarating action..a darker tone on superman unlike the previous ones...we have to admit it..its the best we have got yet..from my side..its a green lit review for this film. Expand
  67. Sep 4, 2013
    this movie is a pretentious ego trip for david goyer, christopher nolan and zack snyder.
    it has little to no character development or structure, it's all symbolism and talk with vary little substance and the product placement was just sad
  68. Sep 1, 2013
    Over the years, the Superman movies have all had quite the sentimental hold on my heart. Of course I have had my favorites and my least favorites, beloved nonetheless, but there was always this sense of longing I felt at the end of them. When I first heard about the "Man of Steel" and it's epic, amazing, beautiful production team I absolutely knew that that wistful feeling would finally beOver the years, the Superman movies have all had quite the sentimental hold on my heart. Of course I have had my favorites and my least favorites, beloved nonetheless, but there was always this sense of longing I felt at the end of them. When I first heard about the "Man of Steel" and it's epic, amazing, beautiful production team I absolutely knew that that wistful feeling would finally be sated. This was the take on Superman I had been waiting for since I had first seen the original. No longer confined by the limits of the technology of our time meant a vision that was unhindered by the laws of what was realistically attainable.

Unfortunately, I knew that not everyone was going to give this movie the respect and appreciation it undoubtedly earned. Though Superman is a fictional character, he in fact receives very real factual scrutiny. I believe this is due to a number of different ill perceived reasons: As the most widely known, first and original superhero, his story has been told a great number of different times and people are easily desensitized, especially in this "golden age of superhero movies". Another reason, I believe, is that people love to tear down and criticize icons. They splash their names on them with abated acrimony, laced with obtuse accusations and fallacy just to create a controversy, all for a little attention. It's really such a shame.

Entertainment Weekly is quoted saying, "...he's been transformed into the latest in a long line of soul-searching super-brooders." An article on cbsnews.com says something similar stating, "The film wallows in sorrow more than soars. It lacks the fun and lightheartedness of previous (Superman) movies." Even Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun writes, "Very little joy or humor in this story. Leaves something to be wanted."

Saying these allegations are preposterously incredulous is a severe understatement. I mean, do the critics actually try and understand the movie they are writing about? Is it not realistic that Clark would be "soul-searching" from the moment he not only found out he had not been born into his family, but also from an entirely different planet? Are you saying it isn't pragmatic for the film to lack "joyfulness and humor" when once the protagonist finally meets the handful of people from his obliterated home world he's been searching for the last 33 years, he is forced to banish them into an eternal prison dimension and beat the rest to death with his bare hands in order to protect the innocent people and his adopted home from utter destruction? Is he not allowed to "wallow in sorrow"? It's not like these are new-age ideas and story-theories in the Superman universe, the director just puts that event in a tangible, real world setting. How would you feel if you had to endure something as immeasurably agonizing as that?

Despite some of it's extremely negligent, distasteful reviews, "Man of Steel" is the absolute greatest depiction of Superman I have ever seen. It's story telling is incredibly flawless and it moves between Clark's origin and the main theme of the movie with a graceful and fulfilling ease. From the breathtaking opening scene of the struggle on dying Krypton to the legendary, groundbreaking, afflicted battle between the Man of Steel and General Zod, it is an epic showcase of achievement. The cast is absolutely incredible and their talent is unsurpassed as every scene they will pull you in and make you feel like you are a part of the immeasurable grandeur of this awe-inspiring motion picture. I look forward to the sequel with the same tenacity and impatience that I held for this piece of history.
  69. Aug 31, 2013
    Always the same things. The Superman movies have to stop someday. Do not see it, because it has nothing new to show. I am very disappointed. That's my opinion.
  70. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. We start this re-boot of the Superman franchise respectively on Superman's home planet, Krypton. There we are told by Jor-El (Russel Crowe) that the Kyrptonians have used up their resources and that their planet won't last much longer. But their meeting is interrupted by a revolt, lead by the military General Zod (Michael Shannon). The planet is in turmoil, but during the revolution Jor-El manages to send his only son off the planet to escape the planet's doomed fate. Cut to thirty years later where we find Clark Kent (Henry Cavill) on a fishing vessel. An oil rig is on fire and he goes in to save the workers. We are told the rest of his story through a series of flashbacks as he continues on his journey to find his purpose. He was found by Martha and Jonathan Kent (Diane Lane and Kevin Costner respectively) and raised to hide his powers because his father believed the world wasn't ready for him. Clark now has to make the choice, whether he is ready for the responsibility or if he will continue to hide his true self.
    The script written by David S. Goyer (known for co-writing Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy) is very well done and the dialogue sounds very good. But the film falls with the performances, nearly all of them don't give the energy or emotion that should come out of a script like this. It's sad to see this script go to waste.
    On a visual aspect, the effects are very good for the most part but only when you can see them. The camera work in Man of Steel isn't all that great. If it's not a stationary shot then the camera is unbelievably shaky and the scenes are very hard to depict. Sadly though for being a film by director Zack Snyder, Man of Steel was rather lacking on great visuals, especially compared to his earlier films like Watchmen. Although we are left with one great moment that looks like it came straight out of a comic book and it's meaning sparked debate between my friends and myself.
    And even though I've been complaining about a lot of the aspects of the film, I did have a good time watching it. The action was very intense and the ending was absolutely stupendous. I'm really excited to see where they will go if the producers decide to make a sequel. Overall it was a joy to see and it outshines the last reboot, Superman Returns, by a long shot.
  71. Aug 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *sigh* The Superman movie about how to not be superman... great...
    Lets get down to it right now: I hate superman as a character and no im not a stupid Batman fanboy yelling and cursing without thinking, i know what SUperman represents and i repect that (even like that) but Superman is just not my thing.

Why i bring this up you may ask? well so you can think about why a Superman hater like me got that this movie doesnt represents superman at all and the thousand and one superman diehard fans love this movie.

Another thing I am not the kind of poeple who knows alot about Acting so im not gonna judge the acting unless its so odvious that even i can notice it.

Lets get the good things out of the way first, since they are fewer: The action, like everyone says, its amazing. Its full of intence moments and tons of blowing up and its all good until you realize your watching a SUperman movie, or at least your suposed to.

What imtrying to say whit this? well if you dont get it right now let me explain: This is not Superman ok? i guess they tried to "Redeem" him from all the bad movies but instead of been a good redemption like the Dark Knight it feels more like a kick in the balls like the Green Lantern movie (live action one). Hell the Green Lantern movie at least got the idea of the hero better that this movie does.

Lets point out the biggest plot holes:
    - The beguing in Krypton feels.... awkward, even out of place somehow. While the effects are cool most of the scene feels too fast to the point you dont really care whats happening or why it happens, mostly your looking at the scene for the effects. Also whats up whit Sup's mother? you know your son was sended to god knows where, your arny is reveling against the goverment and on top of all that the planet is about to blow up and you look bored like "oh here we go again". It really throws you out of the moment, if you where invested in it at all. Its sad when the villain is the one showing some feelings.

- The Scene where the step-father saves the dog from the car but the gets injured and.... you know for some reason tells Clark not to save him.... even hough he had plenty of time to walk to them or Clark to run normally and save him... or... you know i could be all day pointing out ways Clark could have saved him without revealing his powers, or using them at all... next!

- Oh yeah Superman kills Zod... because.... aparently this Superman is way too stupid to know other ways to defeat Zod without killing him like, you know Superman does. Oh wait yeah i forgot this is not SUperman, just some othe guy wearing his costume.

Those where only my mayor plot holes but they bring up the mayor problem of this movie: THIS IS NOT SUPERMAN! sorry for caps but i had to do it... but yeah this is not Superman! Superman is a hero who has a warm heart, whos prescence is enough to inspire hope in the hearts of all around him and who is incredibly strong but its kind enough to let his oponents live.
    A Hero who care more about to protect the people and even the buildings of metropolis than his own life.

As much as i hate to give prays to Superman im a man of honor and i know when my enemy deserves respect.

My name is Krayserlols and If i understand it i hope you do too. Now if you excuse me i heard Lobo appeared in Young Justice.
  72. Aug 26, 2013
    a Superman film that's embarrassed to be Superman, Lois exists for the sole job of Exposition, No emotional impact at all like the Trailers sold it to have. but hey if you like Transformers 3 and cant wait to see Transformers 4 this is the perfect movie for you, a Main actor who is as good as a Plank of wood with a cape, Action that's just there to blow up and a resolution that leavesa Superman film that's embarrassed to be Superman, Lois exists for the sole job of Exposition, No emotional impact at all like the Trailers sold it to have. but hey if you like Transformers 3 and cant wait to see Transformers 4 this is the perfect movie for you, a Main actor who is as good as a Plank of wood with a cape, Action that's just there to blow up and a resolution that leaves even the dumbest DC fanboys in shock as to just how dumb it is. 1/10 and that 1 stands for the 1 time i saw the film and will never watch this train wreck gain. Expand
  73. Aug 26, 2013
    Wow! What a hollow piece of Christian propaganda... Absolutely disgusting. Thank Jebus I didn't pay money to watch this tripe... This movie deserves 0 dollars.
  74. Aug 25, 2013
    horrible
    characters
    costume
    villains
    story
    battle, action scenes
    it's really boring to see movies, story that I already know.
    tired of same superheroes.
    I like Superman when they rescue people from accidents, disaster, hostage, burglar.
    but boring when they fight with villains, superheroes villains.
  75. Aug 25, 2013
    Man of Steel deserves a classic superhero movie comeback! Otherwise the story is so amazing and the action was too intense. I enjoyed this movie but what I expected like The Dark Knight.
  76. Aug 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I couldn't help but be disappointed. In all seriousness, the movie seemed eerily similar to the Transformers franchise. Apathy ensues as you stare at mindless action, minute-after-minute. What a shame that the producers made this movie so bland. One cannot help feel a sense of apathy when Clark Kent's father dies. Expand
  77. Aug 23, 2013
    This movie is very entertaining, and definitely worth seeing if you're a fan of Superman or superheroes in general, but it has some significant flaws that keep it from being a great movie. First of all, it is fairly slow getting started: we don't see Clarke becoming Superman until like a third of the way through the movie, which is kind of a big deal for a Superman movie. Also, the lastThis movie is very entertaining, and definitely worth seeing if you're a fan of Superman or superheroes in general, but it has some significant flaws that keep it from being a great movie. First of all, it is fairly slow getting started: we don't see Clarke becoming Superman until like a third of the way through the movie, which is kind of a big deal for a Superman movie. Also, the last third or more of the movie is almost entirely Superman fighting the bad guys, which is fun to watch, but lacks substance--and even gets a bit boring. Finally, the movie hurts itself some by leaving some plot holes/character inconsistencies open. I don't want to give away anything, but it takes you out of the movie a bit when you see Superman being overly concerned with protecting life one moment, but then casually endangering it the next. All in all, still a good movie, but it really relies on the strength of its action scenes, not the introspective stuff it tries to pull off. Expand
  78. Aug 22, 2013
    It has spectacular action sequences, thanks in part to Zack Snyder's (from 300) masterful directing. Unfortunately, i cannot say the same about the script and character development, which is a weird thing for a movie written (partly) by Christopher Nolan. It was trying to be complex like the Batman trilogy, but it wasn't. And Henry Cavill's acting is not good. And the actors who are, wereIt has spectacular action sequences, thanks in part to Zack Snyder's (from 300) masterful directing. Unfortunately, i cannot say the same about the script and character development, which is a weird thing for a movie written (partly) by Christopher Nolan. It was trying to be complex like the Batman trilogy, but it wasn't. And Henry Cavill's acting is not good. And the actors who are, were given underdeveloped characters. Overall, awesome action scenes is what saved this movie from being a total mess. They are that awesome. Expand
  79. Aug 20, 2013
    Although rather loosely based on the Superman story, this movie provides a fantastic kick start for a new superman. In a era of Iron Man and The Avengers for the superman story to survive it needs to adapt. I believe this movie is a step in that direction. Stunning special effects and strong performances from the leading actors makes for a must see movie.
  80. Aug 18, 2013
    Despite its slightly unbalanced script, this superhero flick still hits its mark with plenty of grandiose special effects, intense action, and engaging performances, making for a highly entertaining Superman reboot.
  81. Aug 18, 2013
    I never really watched the previous Superman movies and I never read the comic books so my opinion of this movie, as a SF action movie, is unbiased by those or the hype. I am criticizing the movie alone. Although i knew it was directed by Snyder so I didn't expect much. I went to the theater with some friends thinking it would just be another average action movie and it was just that.I never really watched the previous Superman movies and I never read the comic books so my opinion of this movie, as a SF action movie, is unbiased by those or the hype. I am criticizing the movie alone. Although i knew it was directed by Snyder so I didn't expect much. I went to the theater with some friends thinking it would just be another average action movie and it was just that. However what I don't like about these average action movies is that they are bad. They have a weak plot, weak character development and are so full of nonsense. Those movies are just money machines. They have good SFX which can be showcased in the trailer to attract the audience but always fail to deliver. No wonder nearly half of the budget goes into marketing. Producers don't want to invest in an original or creative approach, that's too risky and why should they? People still paid to go, so did I. When you look at these years' big budget movies you'll see that they are either sequels, prequels, spin-offs, adaptations, remakes....etc. No original story. Man of Steel fits perfectly this section. Why bother making a good movie if it will sell anyway? This seems to be Hollywood's guideline nowadays. In conclusion, nearly no character development, boring dialogues, weak reused plot with many inconsistencies and holes, good to average imagery and average action. 4 out of 10. Expand
  82. Aug 16, 2013
    This movie was so good although it has it's own flaws, this is possibly the most realistic take on Superman. The critics seem to like to look at Superman movies differently compare to the fans or audiences because Superman Returns got good critic reviews although majority of the fans HATED it and then Man of Steel got 55 rating but the user review have over 1,500 positive? Some do complainThis movie was so good although it has it's own flaws, this is possibly the most realistic take on Superman. The critics seem to like to look at Superman movies differently compare to the fans or audiences because Superman Returns got good critic reviews although majority of the fans HATED it and then Man of Steel got 55 rating but the user review have over 1,500 positive? Some do complain about the destruction of the battle but obviously something like that would take place if u had 2 overpowered kryptonians in our world....although there was alot of destrution, Superman did save the entire world from the World Engine. Expand
  83. Aug 15, 2013
    I'll start with the film's biggest flaw: it clearly can be split into 2 short films:

1. A sci-fi character drama about an alien trying to fit into society while struggling to contain and control his superhuman abilities. So this is what the first 4/5 seasons of Smallville should've been. The fact that it's handled via non-chronological flashback gives it dynamism, so it never becomes stale or boring. We even see an awesome version of Krypton, which actually looks alien, unlike Michael Shannon's (General Zod) screaming tantrums. Also, Russell Crowe is a badass Jor-El.

But that lasts for like 15 minutes; the real highlights are the Kents (played by Kevin Costner and Diane Lane) and all the child actors whom I don't even want to kill. Good job, Warner! I know I haven't said much of Cavill up until this point, but he doesn't have much to do in this part of the movie, but when he's on screen, he's serviceable and the emphasis is more on the struggles of young/teenage Clark. We get to see the man (/boy) with godlike powers constantly get bullied and emotionally tortured by idiots, a**holes and kids, which makes us see his vulnerability and desire to distance himself from us.

When he's an adult though he (sort of) loses his calm once.

Also, some citizens of Smallville (sort) of know who Clark really is. That's actually a refreshing and, if you think about it, logical take on the situation. At the end of this almost masterfully put together first hour there's a strange death scene however, which is justified in the movie, but I can see people having an issue with it.

2. Here come the problems (and not just the not ginger Jenny Alsen). This is basically an alien invasion/action movie in which Snyder lets his inner child blow s**t up, just without the slow mo.

I'm just going to say: the action is great, made even better with the HD handheld camera perspective and the sound audio effects (along with Hans Zimmer's score of course) and the CGI is amazing. Thrown punches really do have impact and combatant characters don't look like rag dolls on ropes (I'm looking at you, X-Men Origins). Amy Adams is the best Lois Lane in a long time, Laurence Fishburne plays a great white (punpunpuuun) guy (note to Goyer: Perry NEVER says and never would've said "Now's not the time for journalistic integrity!"), Cavill is actually a perfect fit for the big blue boyscout and Shannon is (somehow) just serviceable; but the menacing Faora (played by Antje Traue) steals the show for the time she's on screen. Oh, and the Lois (at that point he didn't have the name, so let's call him) Hopeman interrogation scene was awesome.

Not quite this awesome though.

Now for the major (yet minor... Well, f***k you too!) flaws:

- Superman punches Zod into Smallville when there's nothing but wide open (uninhabited) fields surrounding them. That's now very cost or human life friendly there, Clarkie. AND right after this Martha Kent remains with Faora and a Kryptonian Pain and Gain reject AND THEY DON'T KIDNAP HER; because who needs leverage against Superman?

- Necessary (almost like racism in Transformers) military-bro eye bonding moments. Because nothing says America more than the good old (red, white Blue Steel.

- Unnecessarily long action scene with a dubstep squid robot/ship, but I'm okay with that. Even spell check hates dubstep and so should Superman. If Skrillex is Lex Luthor in Batman vs Superman, I'm giving it 10/10 right now, because yes, dubstep is humanity's biggest enemy. Right after Adam Sandler.

- The only Kryptonian scientist has a (glorious and) heavy German accent; in case you haven't noticed that the genocidal aliens with superiority complex are space Nazis.

- Another controversial death scene that really could have been executed, pun intended, better.

- More people die than there are Justin Bieber fans in Kansas, yet they don't get any kind of a memorial service or ceremony and that's just cold. If the movie specified they really were Girl Wonder followers, it would be a different story.

A final and omnipresent flaw of the movie is the lack of humor. It's unfortunate, but the character stuff evens that out. The guy with the weight of the world on his shoulders needs some light hearted moments every now and then.

In all seriousness, as you may have noticed, most of the problems are minor and my biggest flaw (the easy separation in 2 parts) isn't even a one if you don't mind heavy, dense action. Maybe it might have been a good idea to mix punches with tears and words a little bit more often for the sake of more action-phobic movie goers. Irregardless, Snyder still does far more right than wrong and this is definitely a huge step forward for him as a director.

So, Man of Steel soared mightily, stumbled a bit at the last few yards, but still reached the Sun without falling. It's one of my favorite movies of the year, along with Iron Man 3 (I’m guessing up until I see Elysium).
  84. Aug 13, 2013
    A generally excellent film. Superman's new look really works with the modern superhero image. The script was weak at times, with a few cheap, unnecessary cliche lines toward the end of the movie. Go figure. Getting a look back on Superman's past was a nice touch to the movie. After all, this is a prequel. There was almost never a boring moment.
  85. Aug 12, 2013
    The movie is great, performance, acting, effects, and the way they tell the story is very refreshing, of course people old or more than 30 years old and with little space in his heads cant undestand or acept that christofer reeves was great, but.... guys is other time, is a new movie, came on the effects here is extremilly more incredible that in the all movies ever made of this iconicThe movie is great, performance, acting, effects, and the way they tell the story is very refreshing, of course people old or more than 30 years old and with little space in his heads cant undestand or acept that christofer reeves was great, but.... guys is other time, is a new movie, came on the effects here is extremilly more incredible that in the all movies ever made of this iconic heroe. i hate to allways see a superman who with a little crystal can be defeated, came on... inclusive in superman returns he can carrie out of earth a planet basically made of cryptonite.... how time he was expose to that and dont die... well of course all fans of batman will be not funny to se a superman who can kick ass of batman in a wisper but is the reallity of this universe. if existed. superman will be basically indestructible... and came on batman cant live for ever. and all forget basic things like supernan is not human so pls, dont thing in him like a human, because is not. Excelent job guys i know man of steel II will be a great movie and batman will be great too in this cross over. But pls!!! dont try batman like a person capable to defeat superman because all know....is more tham imposible... and if you take lex on the bigscreen pls a lex like in smallville tv show will be great. Not an idiot like superman I, II, and others. Is a new world, we need new points of view and olders with close minds critic must be ignored. Expand
  86. Aug 11, 2013
    The Nolanites and Hack Snyder fan boys are in self-denial that this was a horrible film. It makes them want to cry when every reputable critic has pointed out the glaring flaws with this mess. Blatant ripping off every other summer blockbuster that came from it including Independence Day, Avatar, and Transformers while trying desperately to be all serious like The Dark Knight. SupermanThe Nolanites and Hack Snyder fan boys are in self-denial that this was a horrible film. It makes them want to cry when every reputable critic has pointed out the glaring flaws with this mess. Blatant ripping off every other summer blockbuster that came from it including Independence Day, Avatar, and Transformers while trying desperately to be all serious like The Dark Knight. Superman is a fantasy film and not a dark grim ripoff of Batman which it also tries but fails badly. Worst movie of 2013 and any followup or sequel to this tripe will be worse. Expand
  87. Aug 11, 2013
    One of the best superhero movies I've seen in a long while... and that says a lot. Don't listen to the critics or silly nostalgiac, biased fanboys on this one they're mostly angry because Superman's more humanized (makes mistakes not the traditional boyscout as Donner's movies made him out to be), it's more serious in tone (not as much over-the-top humor as past Marvel movies) and sayingOne of the best superhero movies I've seen in a long while... and that says a lot. Don't listen to the critics or silly nostalgiac, biased fanboys on this one they're mostly angry because Superman's more humanized (makes mistakes not the traditional boyscout as Donner's movies made him out to be), it's more serious in tone (not as much over-the-top humor as past Marvel movies) and saying it has too much action (a tad bit too much explosions but this is a Superman movie; what'd they expect?)!!

I've seen even more ridiculous reasons for hating this movie from simply hating the director, how they chose to get rid of Superman's silly and not-so-iconic underwear and Superman destroying half the city (compare this to the Avengers where there's 6 superheres in a team-up movie, Superman needs to be in two places at once and Superman's relatively inexperienced in this one).

If you were expecting a Summer Blockbuster (that shows off CGI), a reinvention of the Superman mythos and some emotional scenes which cause us to see why Superman is the man he is today then you'll be loving this movie. Don't go in with ridiculous expectations and go in open-minded. That's all I can say.

Go and see it!!
  88. GFC
    Aug 10, 2013
    A truely amazing film. Finally what the fans have been waiting for a truely amazing Superman movie. I highly reccomend it to everyone.

Just some random text to fill the void.
  89. Aug 10, 2013
    My biggest issue with this movie is that the fight scenes went on way too long. Other than that, best Superman movie I’ve seen. It is what a Superman movie should be. Plenty action, great story, introduced Krypton nicely and flashbacks were really cool. Compared to Superman Returns, Man Of Steel is far superior. It's such a good elseworld movie, this is not the Superman of the comics,My biggest issue with this movie is that the fight scenes went on way too long. Other than that, best Superman movie I’ve seen. It is what a Superman movie should be. Plenty action, great story, introduced Krypton nicely and flashbacks were really cool. Compared to Superman Returns, Man Of Steel is far superior. It's such a good elseworld movie, this is not the Superman of the comics, people die in this movie. Expand
  90. Aug 9, 2013
    First of all, I loved the movie. Zack Snyder and his team really did a great job with this movie. Henry Cavill is in my opinion the best Superman I have ever seen. I can't really say anything bad about this movie. To see Clack Kent on his journey, trying to find himself it was perfect. Great acting, great story. But you should not see this movie, and expect it is like the ones withFirst of all, I loved the movie. Zack Snyder and his team really did a great job with this movie. Henry Cavill is in my opinion the best Superman I have ever seen. I can't really say anything bad about this movie. To see Clack Kent on his journey, trying to find himself it was perfect. Great acting, great story. But you should not see this movie, and expect it is like the ones with Christopher Reeve. Those were good, but like many says, it is time to change something. Just the idea of using the suit from the new 52 was great. I couldn't have taken it serious, if he had the red underwear on
    In my opinion, this is the best "superhero" movie I have seen, together with The Dark Knight.
    No movie is perfect, but I can't see the reason why some can it is pure garbage. IT IS NOT. It is a MASTERPIECE in the comic-hero genre.
  91. Aug 9, 2013
    whiny
    depressive
    sad over a thousand 10,9,8, eh metacritic. How sad This movie is just a sad mess-and the fanboyisms showing up here is proof. Nothing in this movie works and the fact the so many have come to scream their disapproval is typical of the fingers in the ears approach to life. When 2 comes out, it had better be a far better movie, but with Nolans on the last 2 dcu
    whiny
    depressive
    sad

over a thousand 10,9,8, eh metacritic.
    How sad

This movie is just a sad mess-and the fanboyisms showing up here is proof.
    When 2 comes out, it had better be a far better movie, but with Nolans on the last 2 dcu films, I doubt it.
  92. Aug 7, 2013
    A reboot is that, a reboot. An origin story tells the beginning of the character. I loved the new take on our classical and beloved Superman and while shocked by the ending I understand this is the explanation needed for Superman values and personality. There is a lot more to tell and I wish the creative group find its way the present us a modern mature all powered Superman in MOS2
  93. Aug 5, 2013
    "Man of Steel", in my opinion, has everything I wanted out of a superhero movie. Superman is decorated with darker shades as far as the overall atmosphere, and the plot seems so engaging. Though many critics have seen the "flaws" of this film, I was one of the lucky members of its audience to see the hard work put into making it.
  94. Aug 5, 2013
    I didn't like the movie, which is a real shame since I really love Superman. The story told has a nice twist to it but the potential was left dead on the floor. Henry Cavill was a really bad casting choice he's just not good at this part (and come on close shots of him with his chest hair flowing out of his suit?).

Superman Returns was a much better film that made me feel really

Superman Returns was a much better film that made me feel really excited about Superman and the people he protects. The new film is just a disappointment. Watch this at home.
  95. Aug 4, 2013
    One of the most disappointing movies of 2013. It started off brilliant, and quickly slipped into a barrage of pointless action that all seemed the same. Not looking forward to the sequel.
  96. Aug 4, 2013
    I didn't have any doubts that Zack Snyder would disappoint me, in fact he didn't The whole movie is just a great portrait of the "man of steel", it's the Superman that I loved to watch and the story i just well-narrated.
    I don't understand all the hate to this film, but I just want to say that "the director of a movie is just the illustrator of his own comic", so don't pretend to watch a movie perfectly-copied-by-the-comic, honestly I would gave to this movie 3 or less instead of 9 Btw, Zakk Snyder made a perfect job with some Nolan's councils, I guess (I saw his paw xD) and when I watched it, my adrenaline began to flow Henry Cavill gave a face to the new Superman and he made a great acting, really great acting for this role and the whole cast made it the same, expecially for Russel Crowe and Kevin Costner (just amazing acting),Michael Shannon was a son of in this movie, only him could do a role like Zod haha !
    Conclusions The film is great, is a director's view of Supes and we can all enjoy this movie Cheers
  97. Aug 2, 2013
    Critics are right on this one. Uninspiring action movie of Snyder that doesn't deserve Nolan's name on it. Hans Zimmer made a great score which made me give it a 6 instead of a 5. The masses wil love a dumbed down Superman like this, it's a guaranteed summer cash cow.
  98. Aug 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I personally loved this movie. It was a pleasure to see and to get engaged into the story and the characters Superman way better than the previous Superman in Superman returns and the others. I felt as if the story and the characters could have had a better thought process thought. Oh so Clark's dad thinks he an outcast and then kills himself for that idea (It was a marvelous scene which was very shocking and amazing) but that doesn't really excuse what humanity is like our survival instincts would have popped up in that situation. But I respect the character and the time they spent developing him. Excellent sci phi, The best I've seen in awhile in comparison to the other movies that came out (The purge,Evil dead) this one is amazing but due to the ending Superman kills Zod and the villans just being dumb. That's what keeps this movie from being a 10/10 100% recommend and I will be buying it when it comes out on Dvd Watch http://www.angryjoeshow.com/ For game reviews movie reviews and a lot of comedy Expand
  99. Aug 1, 2013
    "Man Of Steel" was a great effort at bringing life back to the Superman franchise but fell short of that goal. The actors & actresses in the film all did a stellar job giving their characters what they needed to bring them to life but without a compelling story, even they couldn't save this film. "Man Of Steel" ultimately is an entertaining film but is easily one of the weaker super hero"Man Of Steel" was a great effort at bringing life back to the Superman franchise but fell short of that goal. The actors & actresses in the film all did a stellar job giving their characters what they needed to bring them to life but without a compelling story, even they couldn't save this film. "Man Of Steel" ultimately is an entertaining film but is easily one of the weaker super hero films to be released. Expand
  100. Aug 1, 2013
    A powerful, entertaining and well-written rebirth of the American icon that has been clearly made with complete care to the source material and as a film as well. This well-paced reboot only suffers from a campy performance by Michael Shannon and an under-developed relationship between our hero Clark and his love Lois. Man of Steel is definitely the ultimate Superhero/Superman film and isA powerful, entertaining and well-written rebirth of the American icon that has been clearly made with complete care to the source material and as a film as well. This well-paced reboot only suffers from a campy performance by Michael Shannon and an under-developed relationship between our hero Clark and his love Lois. Man of Steel is definitely the ultimate Superhero/Superman film and is one of the best action/superhero films to come out since The Avengers. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.