7.6

1. Jun 23, 2013
    I have been anticipating this movie for sometime now and can't help but feel disappointed. For those wanting a solid story look elsewhere. The action/special effects made up for what could've been a disaster.

Pros:

+ Action
    + Special Effects
    + Good Casting For Superman

Cons:

- Story
    - Plot Holes
  2. Jun 23, 2013
    nice surprise. not just a remake but new take on a old story. this is not your grandparents Superman, and that is good.
    A movie about a Super Man that shows the Humans as much as the Hero. Thank you Colonel Nathan Hardy and Jonathan Kent.
  3. Jun 24, 2013
    Man of Steel is the breath of fresh air that's been so needed in the Superman film saga. It does its own thing respectively, completely ignoring the Donner films and instead, focusing more on the comic book material. At times a bit uneven with its pacing, and occasionally sacrificing character development/backstory for action, Man of Steel nevertheless is the crowd pleasing, action packedMan of Steel is the breath of fresh air that's been so needed in the Superman film saga. It does its own thing respectively, completely ignoring the Donner films and instead, focusing more on the comic book material. At times a bit uneven with its pacing, and occasionally sacrificing character development/backstory for action, Man of Steel nevertheless is the crowd pleasing, action packed spectacle that Superman fans have been waiting years for. 3.5/5 Expand
  4. Mar 27, 2015
    I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really don’t like this movie anymore.
  5. Jun 26, 2013
    Welcome to the Planet"

VERY happy to report that Man of Steel was a VERY satisfying movie. 9/10 for sure. Really wish I could have seen it on opening day instead of reading reviews, listening to feedback that almost put another image of the movie in my mind. But taking away 1 point only because there was an action sequence that could have been removed and the pacing was just a bit
    Welcome to the Planet"

But taking away 1 point only because there was an action sequence that could have been removed and the pacing was just a bit off.

But all in all, really happy as a Superman fan to see so much of his sci-fi mythos incorporated. For people's reactions to his existence being similar to that shown in the earliest depictions of him, late 1930s, early 1940s.

And for some witty one liners. If you are still hung up on the variant of the character you saw in either the 1950s TV series or the first two Christopher Reeve movies, you will be disappointed. I want to see the movie again. Indeed I do
  6. Jun 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The content in this movie is incredible. The horrid pacing... isn't enough to detract from my overall enjoyment of this film. I know it's making everyone think the movie is just Michael Bay-esque explosions, but it's not. Get past the pacing, and you'll find an intelligent, well made sci fi that pays respect to my most beloved superhero.

Points of Controversy I'd Like to Counter:

-The destruction caused by Kal. I have watched the final fight between Kal and Zod dozens of times on Youtube. Kal ALWAYS takes the fight to the side of the building or in places where people wouldn't readily get hurt. It is in fact General Zod who takes Kal and throws him into buildings. The only problem I have with the destruction is the pacing of it and the fact that there is one building that falls which would most likely be responsible for a lot of deaths that Kal doesn't really do anything about (again, he isn't the cause for it, it's General Zod's heat vision that takes the building down, it's just he doesn't really try to save the people under it).

-Lois Lane being brought aboard Zod's ship. People seem to think that she was brought on board the ship as nothing but an exposition device and that General Zod had no purpose for her. In actuality, Lois' name was broadcast on national television by another news reporter as having a connection to Kal. Given that she is the only other person who seems to have a special relationship with the Kryptonian, Zod decides to bring her on board and contain the situation entirely. There is another thematic reason Lois is brought on board, and I will detail that in the next point.

-Perry White's character arc, and various other "unnecessary" plot threads. These "unnecessary" plot threads are actually enforcing a thematic value of the story- that everyone can be a hero. Jor-El himself says "Everyone can be a force for good." These "unnecessary" plot threads are actually bolstering his claim. They give everyone their chance to be the hero, from a small scale, such as Perry letting Jenny know that there was still someone who cared in the midst of the end of the world, or the scientist figuring out how the Command Key works, to a large scale, such as the Colonel sacrificing himself to kill Faora or Kal's antics himself. Lois' involvement on Zod's ship also gives her a chance to be the hero, showing that she wasn't brought in just as an exposition device, but as a thematic expression too.

-Various references to Jesus. I don't know about you, but regardless of what it's referencing, I prefer there to be allegories to renowned texts, be it religious or not. Biblical allusions are not a negative (and this is coming from a Muslim).

-Above all, the ending decision. Many people have decided to base their entire opinion on Kal's final decision in the movie and have written the movie off as a pile of garbage simply due to this being "out of Superman's character."

Have you recognized that throughout this review/counter argument, I have only referred to the protagonist as Kal, and not as Superman? This is because Kal-El, for the most part in this movie, is not Superman. He is Kal-El.

One of the main themes in this movie is that of choice. From the beginning this is explored, with Krypton's selective "bloodline" system that removes freedom of choice, to Jonathan Kent's talks about his son (and his death). Not once in his life had Kal acted on impulse (aside from the school bus scene, which he was later scolded for). He always played it safe. Never tried to act on his own feelings but based on what everyone else was telling him was right. He had never explored the other area of choice- the ones his instincts were compelling him to make.

In that final, climactic scene, General Zod threatens to kill a family. After Kal beats him outright, and he realizes his "you die or I do" mentality wouldn't work in a normal battle due to Kal's morality, he shifts his focus to killing as many people as he could before forcing Kal's hand ("Stop!"- "Never."). Kal finally decides to act on impulse. He snaps Zod's neck. Realizing what he has just done, he drops to his knees and screams.

This scene is not only respectful of Superman's character, but easily one of the most powerful advancements of it I have ever seen. Kal finally explores the "other" area. He acts on impulse and stops Zod, but he realizes after that the price he paid (taking someone else's life) was far too great to pay. Just as in Superman: Executioner (where he similarly executes Zod) he decides from then on to stop killing. From that moment on, he truly becomes Superman, and not Kal. He realizes that he isn't supposed to give into the constraints of choice. When there are two options, he creates a third (he even tells General Swanwick that he will help only "on his own terms" shortly after). That is what Superman is. And through that final scene, that is what this origin story has helped Kal El become.
  7. Jul 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Personally I thought this movie was going to be terrible, but every part of the movie seemed meticulous. I wanted a Superman movie that didn't cover his origin story but here it doesn't feel like an origin story because it takes place during the same day. What made me angry was everytime superman got tinto a fought he destroyed a lot of buildings and it took away the fact that he is a vigilante. Also it feels that superman evolves as a fighter which makes you way more invested into the character of superman. Expand
  8. Jun 30, 2013
    I went into this movie not sure what to expect. I was impressed by the trailers but I knew that Zack Snyder has never made a good movie. I'm sad to say that this colossal disappointment is no exception. It seems Snyder was attempting to make an epic, soaring sci-fi film with a genuine sense of wonder, but the resulting movie falls flat on its face, weighed down by dreadful, tedious,I went into this movie not sure what to expect. I was impressed by the trailers but I knew that Zack Snyder has never made a good movie. I'm sad to say that this colossal disappointment is no exception. It seems Snyder was attempting to make an epic, soaring sci-fi film with a genuine sense of wonder, but the resulting movie falls flat on its face, weighed down by dreadful, tedious, overlong action scenes.

If there's one thing the movie does get right, it's the casting. The lead actors are all fantastic, which helps the audience forgot how mediocre the script is for the first hour or so of the movie. After that point, everything is wall-to-wall building-crunching explosive action which seems to be catered specifically towards the Transformers crowd, but feels horrifically out of place in a Superman movie. For all its attempts to be "realistic", the movie glosses over the apocalyptic destruction and probably massive death toll wreaked by Superman and Zod over the course of what seems like four hours.

The movie overall is extraordinarily unfaithful to Superman's character and lore. There are little mistakes throughout the movie, but the climax of the movie contains a betrayal so jaw-droppingly huge that I'm honestly surprised DC allowed it on screen. Perhaps the biggest problem the movie has is that it takes itself far too seriously. Superman has always had an aspect of silliness that the original films managed to capture nicely, but is completely absent from Man of Steel. Superman is a timeless character, and rebooting him isn't a bad idea, but it would take a director much more talented and intelligent than Zack Snyder.
  9. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. El hombre de acero no muestra un mundo Krypton diferente a un Jor-El que lucha y que tenia ideología diferente a la de su planeta algo nuevo nos han traído al cine un hombre de acero diferentes a las otras como se desarrolla el trama y como involucran a los personajes hacen de esta película una de las mejores del 2013 me encanto la verdad Esperamos mucho tiempo para poder ver un superman diferente que muestre como en verdad es ,por eso le doy 10 a esta obra maestra... Expand
  10. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel was what a realistic superhero movie should be like! It truly showed the inner turmoil of a young Clark trying to balance saving lives with keeping his secret. Kevin Costner (Jon Kent) and Russell Crowe (Jor-El) contributed heavily to why Clark became Superman. Do you really think the military would not be interested in a super powered being and not be wary? The action sequences were heads above anything Marvel has ever done. The new twists on Krypton and how the Earths atmosphere affects Kryptonians was refreshing. Seen the movie three times! Don't listen to the critics...too many people as collateral damage, Superman doesn't kill, or any of that carp! Superman does kill..remember Superman II? Didn't remorse one bit when he killed Zod and the other two Kryptonians yet people think that's ok. I am a huge Superman fan and therefore really studied this movie and if it stunk, I would say say. We fans are usually the harshest critics! Can't wait for the sequel and Justice League! Henry Cavill is the man...Superman! Expand
  11. Jun 30, 2013
    To watch my video review for this film click this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flmJFT_Gx6g

The film is about whether Superman will be accepted for what he is on earth. The conflict in the film derives from the survival of either earth or Superman’s own species. General Zod is determined to save his own race from extinction even if that means destroying the human race. Despite the bullying and the secrecy that he has had to endure, Superman ultimately chooses the place he has grown up over his own race.
    You may recognise Michael Shannon from the Boardwalk Empire and I was surprised to see him fill such a big role in this film as General Zod. His character once again was one with strong beliefs and I think he carried out his role fairly well. Henry Cavel feels and looks right as Superman. However, it’s the performances of Kevin Costner and Russel Crowe that really stand out for me. I’m not usually a massive fan of flashbacks throughout a film but in this case they really work and they illustrate well the relationship between Superman and his father on Earth played by Kevin Costner. Crowe delivered dramatic lines such as, how, he will be a god to them” perfectly and seeing Coster as Superman’s adopted father sacrifice himself to keep Superman’s secret was one of the most heartfelt moments in a film that I have seen in a while and was certainly a highlight. This is where I think the film really delivers, in the relationships between Superman and those around him, from his biological father to his lover Louis Lane.
    For me, the action in the film was a bit repetitive and consisted mainly of Superman and the bad guys flying into one another and into buildings. I couldn’t help but think what’s the point in them endlessly hitting each other and flying into one another if it clearly does no damage. However, I realise that you should probably expect that in a Superman film and it did mean that they could show off some lovely special effects. Another small gripe I have with the film is that there were plenty of opportunities in this film for those slick and funny one liners but unfortunately for the most part they failed to grasp them. Lines such as “where did you learn to fight, on a farm?”, didn’t really pack the punch they needed to. There was certainly more room for humour such as at the end when the woman giggles and says, “well it’s just that he’s kinda hot”. But the script didn’t give Henry Cavel the opportunity to show a witty side of Superman and was therefore portrayed as being very serious.
    Overall though I think that the film was great and a successful reboot of the franchise. Director Zack Snyder brought through the emotions of the film brilliantly and it delivered everything that you expect from a superhero film. My sister loved it and she’s not usually a massive fan of these types of films which I think illustrates its appeal. I have a pretty strict scale when it comes to rating films. Rotten Tomatoes gave this film 56% and IGN gave it a pretty impressive 9/10 but I’m going to go in between the two and give this a 7.8/10.
  12. Jul 2, 2013
    I'm going to review this professionally and efficiently. Here we go, man of steel sucks. Okay here are the things I like in that film. I liked the action scenes, the action scenes were good. The rest I found mediocre and stupid. The story was poorly executed, generic and boring as all hell. One of the problems I had with the story was what they did to the origin story and Lois. BasicallyI'm going to review this professionally and efficiently. Here we go, man of steel sucks. Okay here are the things I like in that film. I liked the action scenes, the action scenes were good. The rest I found mediocre and stupid. The story was poorly executed, generic and boring as all hell. One of the problems I had with the story was what they did to the origin story and Lois. Basically they took them both of them and added super over the top action transformers crap They literally have Lois trapped in a pod crashing into earth and having superman dramatically float out of the ship and save her. And another thing I did not like about the film, the over dramatic feel of the film. I laughed when superman yelled when he killed Zod along with many other things that were unmemorable. The acting was the same equivalent of twilight with no emotion or life in it whatsoever. Most of the time you will be seeing a blank face for almost the entire movie. Another thing that bugged me was that it tried to capture the dark gritty feel of the batman films but failed in doing so. Overall very mediocre film, I suggest you don't watch it Expand
  13. Jul 3, 2013
    I just saw Man of Steel at the IMAX 3D. It was the best rendition of superman I have ever seen. The acting, storyline, and graphics was epic! I can't wait to see it again! My favorite movie this far! I recommend everyone see this film.
  14. Jul 3, 2013
    THIS WAS THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN! Its a must see in IMAX 3D! I LOVE everything about the movie. It was amazingly entertaining...so much so that I am going to see it again on the forth of july with my entire family!
  15. Jul 3, 2013
    Hands down this was the BEST MOVIE of the summer and best SUPERMAN move ever! Don't listed to the NEGATIVE Critics that are probably getting paid to dumb down this movie....it was spectacular! Best graphics, Best acting, edge of your seat entertaining. I plan to take the whole family to see it again, this time we are going to see it in 3D!
  16. Jul 5, 2013
    Movie started of good with a story then it went to Superman meets star wars that is when I lost interest it is to bad as far as I am concerned there is no more superman you ruined it for good.
  17. Jul 7, 2013
    Man of steel is a phenomenal composition. The critics are bitter and always appreciate drama and nothing more. Zack Snyder had a phenomenal vision. He did his very best to create a new superman for the up and coming generation. It was perfect to see Superman in a different suit and more clean looking.
  18. Jul 7, 2013
    This was a movie I wanted to like, and the acting, story, and special effects were all good. That being said, it was missing something I assumed would be a given for a superhero film, that feel good feeling you get when the hero wins. I'm not sure if it was the script, or the editing, but I found myself not caring if Superman would win (and it felt like he didn't care either). Lois wasThis was a movie I wanted to like, and the acting, story, and special effects were all good. That being said, it was missing something I assumed would be a given for a superhero film, that feel good feeling you get when the hero wins. I'm not sure if it was the script, or the editing, but I found myself not caring if Superman would win (and it felt like he didn't care either). Lois was in only because she needs to be but didn't add the film. Overall I am glad I seen it, and you may love it, but it could should have been better. Expand
  19. Jul 8, 2013
    What a disappointment, this film had such potential. Why is it the trailer contained all the beauty and humanity (and none of the inane action that the film did?) I should have known. There's a reason I don't see action movies (especially comic book ones) any more (I think the last one I saw was the first Iron Man). Story and great character development sacrificed to show us specialWhat a disappointment, this film had such potential. Why is it the trailer contained all the beauty and humanity (and none of the inane action that the film did?) I should have known. There's a reason I don't see action movies (especially comic book ones) any more (I think the last one I saw was the first Iron Man). Story and great character development sacrificed to show us special effect CG characters hitting and banging and crushing and so on. I mean, how many buildings do we have to see Superman and his enemies get thrown through? The action sequences are what ruins this movie hands down. And WHO decided a shaky, vomit-inducing hand held camera was the best choice for the earth family human sequences? Will we ever turn back? Oh wait..."Pacific Rim" is just around the corner. Yeah, let's rush out to get in line... Expand
  20. Jul 10, 2013
    One of the better superman movie. don't go by metascore go watch it by yourself. Superman has always been powerful but in this movie you really feel it. This may not be acurate to the comic book superman which could be reason for low metascore.
  21. Jul 23, 2013
    I went to go see Man of Steel with no expectation, mainly because of the last Superman movie. As hard as i tried to like Man of Steel, I just couldn't. There were some enjoyable parts of the movie, but overall, it wasn't worth the price of admission.

The Good: The Casting- I thought that the actors that they chose to play the parts were perfect. Especially superman, Henery Cavill fit

The Good:

The Casting- I thought that the actors that they chose to play the parts were perfect. Especially superman, Henery Cavill fit the role of superman very well. I thought Amy Adams and Michael Shannon were well placed as well. Including others

FX- I thought the special effects were well done as well. They weren't spectacular, but the were good. Especially the fighting scenes. I really felt the power behind the punches. I thought they did that well. They flying scenes were pretty enjoyable too.

The Bad:

Script- Corning and uninteresting. It was hard to care about what was happening because first off there didn't seem to be any basis on why anything was happening in the movie. This was my biggest negative point in the whole movie. It was hard to get into because i didn't make the connection as to what is going on and why, and i think that is the scripts fault. Maybe there is back story in the comics, but i don't read those, so i have nothing to go off of. And there were several lines said in the movie that were like, really, you couldn't have thought of something better to say. The script wasn't all bad. There were moments in the story were I was engaged, but that didn't last long.

Pacing- I felt like this movie was all over the place. Especially the fighting scenes. They were cool at first but the intensity slow faded, and i felt that nothing new was really offered to make any new encounter different. Another problem was the main spectacular fights happened at the middle of the movie making the final fight scene more of an annoyance then something i actually wanted to watch.

In conclusion, this movie wasn't terrible, don't get me wrong. It just isn't the crazy awesome movie people are saying it is. It was mediocre at best. It did somethings right, but many wrong. I would recommend this movie as a RENTAL, just to experience the good moments of the movie, but do not waste the money to see it or buy it when it comes to DVD.
  22. Jul 26, 2013
    The film begins with a fantastic action packed introduction on Krypton and it is truly a thrilling start to the film and the segment from when Kal-El arrives on earth to when he takes on the role of Superman succeeds in keeping the audience entertained through an origin story they have already seen before. One of the film's greatest attributes is the decisions and directions it takes inThe film begins with a fantastic action packed introduction on Krypton and it is truly a thrilling start to the film and the segment from when Kal-El arrives on earth to when he takes on the role of Superman succeeds in keeping the audience entertained through an origin story they have already seen before. One of the film's greatest attributes is the decisions and directions it takes in how to tell this iconic story. However the same cannot be said about the execution of these great ideas as there is not enough time given to develop them further. Once Kal-El finally puts on the suit things really start to pick up and the action really is outstanding despite occasionally dragging on for too long particularly in the final fight. Another gripe I had with the film is that there are only about four characters that get enough screen time and development which leaves actors such as Lawrence Fishburne not getting a chance to shine. All performances are good in this film and Henry Cavill does a great job in the lead but Russell Crowe's Jor-El is an obvious stand out here. Man of Steel is a good and much needed reboot of Superman that keeps the majority of the audience entertained. Despite a few flaws that hold the film back from being truly great Man of Steel is certainly lots of fun and could definitely be the launching pad for a franchise Expand
  23. Aug 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I personally loved this movie. It was a pleasure to see and to get engaged into the story and the characters Superman way better than the previous Superman in Superman returns and the others. I felt as if the story and the characters could have had a better thought process thought. Oh so Clark's dad thinks he an outcast and then kills himself for that idea (It was a marvelous scene which was very shocking and amazing) but that doesn't really excuse what humanity is like our survival instincts would have popped up in that situation. But I respect the character and the time they spent developing him. Excellent sci phi, The best I've seen in awhile in comparison to the other movies that came out (The purge,Evil dead) this one is amazing but due to the ending Superman kills Zod and the villans just being dumb. That's what keeps this movie from being a 10/10 100% recommend and I will be buying it when it comes out on Dvd Watch http://www.angryjoeshow.com/ For game reviews movie reviews and a lot of comedy Expand
  24. Sep 11, 2013
    This film could have been a great movie had they cut half of the action scenes which, by the way, were poorly directed and clumsily paced. I left the theater with a weird feeling of confusion...was it Superman or did I end up going to a Godzilla movie by mistake...
  25. Sep 16, 2013
    remember a time when having your main character make jokes wasn't something just reserved for iron man? sigh... me too

is man of steel a good movie? yes. is it THE superman movie? no. in my opinion, the best superman movie will probably be reserved for one of those DC films that they release every year. you know, the ones that they only have on netflix and are drawn by the guys who made the justice league show? the one where the black green lantern was in a relationship with hawkgirl?

getting back on track, Man of Steel is the big movie for DC this summer, and boy does it fall flat on those accusations. from the very beginning of the movie, i was instantly hooked in. the shots that they showed of planet krypton were beautiful. i loved the creativity with such an alien world and how the technology and society had a very organic metallic feel. everything was fun to watch and even more fun to see other characters interact with them. after what you all expect to happen, spoiler krypton won't be found on any maps anytime soon, the movie takes a very intelligent step by making the next 20 minutes or so all about clark being the hero that he is supposed to be. it's about him realizing that his powers are meant for good and that he has the possibility to do great. he isn't in a costume, he isn't flying across the sky, he is just a man.... of steel (i couldn't help myself)

after that however, the movie takes a turn for the worse. once supes gets into his new suit, you'll realize that the filmmakers had a fondness for the color gray. every shot, every scene, every character has a grey color pallet. i'm sorry, but this is superman. this is a figure known globally as a figure of freedom, justice, and the american way. seeing him in this dark and gritty world is extremely out of place. is it nice to see that man of steel (hey, the don't call him superman in the movie...) doesn't have to be as dull as a gallon of cement? yes, but it makes later scenes of man of steel doing uncharacteristically dark actions even more out of place and awkward.

in the end of the day, if you are a fan of superman (of steel), there could be worse superman films to watch (looking at you, superman returns...), but if you were really waiting for something great and original, better wait for the sequel.
  26. Oct 24, 2013
    Finally a Superman movie the way it's supposed to be. Sure I had some minor problems with it (Lois' character ends up becoming a sidekick, some continuity issues), but overall, the directors do a great job of showing why he is the 'Man' of Steel. There's moments of genuine tension because one actually doesn't know if Superman is going to be able to save the day. "How is he going to do it?"Finally a Superman movie the way it's supposed to be. Sure I had some minor problems with it (Lois' character ends up becoming a sidekick, some continuity issues), but overall, the directors do a great job of showing why he is the 'Man' of Steel. There's moments of genuine tension because one actually doesn't know if Superman is going to be able to save the day. "How is he going to do it?" is a valid question in this film, unlike Brian Singer's 2006 martyr depicting disaster in which it was just assumed that Superman somehow wins (aside from the incredibly stupid plot). Focusing on the origin story also gives us insight into the superhero abilities of the character and the limits of his power; not the god like omnipotent Superman that critics love, but a superhero with abilities and powers that have weaknesses (otherwise Green Lantern would never be a match for Superman). This is a movie that will delight fans of the superhero and the comics, not over intellectualizing critics who love the 'idea' of Superman and what he represents. As for the action a nicely nefarious and destructive earth-destroying plot by the bad guys, fleshed out with some great graphics and art work. Good fight scenes that see Supe getting variously pummelled and also doling out some beatings. Again, that doesn't seem to appeal to the critics who slammed the film for 'too much action'. Dude, this is Superman; if you want character development, watch Pride and Prejudice. Ironically, the critics miss their own portentous pretentiousness when they at once claim the film is too sombre (I think it has an appropriately dark mood) and then ask why the characters and love story aren't the focus. Superman; action-film; ass kicking; excellent. They also seem to miss that Nolan and Snyder manage to masterfully highlight how being a child of two worlds is the central dichotomy of Superman's character and how it hurts him to be alone. It’s not a maudlin love for Lois Lane that’s tearing him apart, it’s the loss of his parents, his planet, his past, his people. He is evolutionarily superior to humans, but chooses to protect them out of love. That is the essence of the character, an idea that previous films have touched upon but never delved into, including the classic, but campy, 70's films. A lot of criticism focused on how the duality of Clark Superman is missing, while missing this obvious duality between the human and the alien that is actually what Superman is about. More to the point, comparisons to the previous ‘Nice-guy’ Superman of yore and the whole idea that the character has lost his ‘innocence’ are almost nauseating; the whole reason Superman is amazing is because he’s a bad-ass, not because he’s a nice guy. In the 70’s it was possible to be a nice guy, witty bad ass, like Chris Reeve, but that kind of humour is completely passé today. The film does have genuine moments of comedy, but they are situational and not forced or driven by an innate image of the character. This Superman is a genuine bad-ass, quite unlike Brendan Routh. Comparisons to The Avengers also miss the point; The Avengers’ quirky humour is a part of the Marvel universe; DC comics have always had a darker, more serious, tone to them that the producers put across well in this film. All in all, a film that critics are sure to hate but that audiences are sure to love. Expand
  27. Nov 10, 2013
    The Superman comic book fans have been waiting for! First movie to truly depict his power in real world terms as close as visualized in its source material. This movie is not for the faint of heart or children, it has plenty of powerful action and violence, but it reflects what the amount of destruction comics have often in the comics (e.g., read: *Death of Superman* comic book arc) andThe Superman comic book fans have been waiting for! First movie to truly depict his power in real world terms as close as visualized in its source material. This movie is not for the faint of heart or children, it has plenty of powerful action and violence, but it reflects what the amount of destruction comics have often in the comics (e.g., read: *Death of Superman* comic book arc) and necessary to give a sense of what a Kryptonian invasion could look like, if these characters were real.

The story itself is unoriginal as origin stories go, but Superman has always been unoriginal since his conception. If you can stomach violent scenes, this movie is A Must See!
  28. Dec 8, 2013
    Excellent movie, well done, Zack Snyder does a great job. Hand Nolan and Goyer of emotional moments that was noticeable, and I hope the sequel with a lot of spirit.
  29. Dec 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A compelling gritty story and a different take on The Man Of Steel we've not seen on film before but closer to the comic book incarnation. You have to accept change and a different Superman to what you've seen in previous movies to like Man Of Steel a lot of critics have disliked this but gave Superman Return's a good review why i don't know because Man Of Steel cast wise, story and character interpretation and the new take of this character is so much more compelling, touching and action orientated. It's the Superman story and the musical score is brilliant not one minute of the movie do you think of the original score. I was amazed, you can't please all of the people. you get three set's of fan's the hardcore DC fan's who will understand this take and like and love the movie. The cinema goers who love Superhero movie's and will like this because they want to be entertained and come out and be wowed then the fan's who are picky, go to a cinema to be negative, go to a cinema to come out and say that was horrible i liked Superman return's even though a week they hated Superman Return's. Who ever hasn't seen Man Of Steel then ask the first & second category of movie goers. Expand
  30. Apr 16, 2014
    The number of 10 reviews on here is a perfect example as to why so many Hollywood movies suck nowadays. All the studios have to do is create a minimal plot and then destroy a bunch of stuff for the third act and fanboys will slobber all over themselves. The problem with this specific movie, though it isn't all that different than every other superhero movie, is psychotic overdirecting byThe number of 10 reviews on here is a perfect example as to why so many Hollywood movies suck nowadays. All the studios have to do is create a minimal plot and then destroy a bunch of stuff for the third act and fanboys will slobber all over themselves. The problem with this specific movie, though it isn't all that different than every other superhero movie, is psychotic overdirecting by Zach Snyder. Snyder is more interested in showing us an artsy action scene than in ever allowing us to connect to a character. The first half of the movie is all backstory, then there's OVER AN HOUR of non-stop destruction. Yawn. Watching one skyscraper after another after another get destroyed becomes a mind-numbing display of endless repetition. The Dark Knight proved a superhero movie doesn't have to be about destroying a bunch of buildings to be exciting. Which may explain why that's possibly the best superhero movie and this is a minimal Avengers ripoff. Expand
  31. May 12, 2014
    When I heard of Man of Steel, I got really excited. It was directed by the guy who did the new Batman series. It was to have great special effects and best of all, no kryptonite! To me, this was going to make the worlds most powerful superhero get a movie he finally deserves.

The movie began like how I thought it would. Very well. It was setting up a great movie. However, after that whole moment, and we begin to follow Superman on his quest, it all goes downhill.

The movie will leave you emotionless, unattached, and possibly bored. The movie clearly focused more on it's amazing special effects and top-notch graphic artists then it's plot and character development. Throughout the movie, I wanted to feel attached towards one character, but it never happened. The movie is incredibly fast paced, and gives you no time to breathe. The entire movie is just a long blur of violence and mass destruction. For those who just like to see whole cities destroyed, extended battle sequences, this is the movie for you. And you know what, it was cool. However, it was to much of a good thing. It was like the producer/director/who ever made the movie just began to play around with affects and decided that is was going to carry the whole movie.

It was unbelievable, the amount of destruction. The one thing you could connect with was the cringes the government felt with all the money they will have to pay to repair the city. The plot was predictable, and felt forced.

Also, the movie includes a romance which makes no sense at all, perfect hair even when being thrown through cities and mountains, and... more cities and mountains being destroyed.... and more death... and a lot of destruction... and crying... and screaming... and special effects... and more buildings and cities being destroyed...

For those who love action movies, special effects, and Superman, you should watch this. For those who want a more realistic superhero movie, relate-able characters and plots, great acting and movie that will leave you WITH emotion AND still with some great action and destruction? Watch the Dark Knight series.
  32. May 4, 2014
    Man of Steel: 5/10 "Regular"

Película regular que no logra ser buena por ser muy simple y por momentos aburrida, con una historia ya conocida y poco aprovechada.
  33. Aug 4, 2014
    This film was just bad it puts a stain a brown soaked stain on the Christopher Reeve films and what they meant Do your self a favor do not watch this movie
  34. Nov 23, 2014
    A joyless 2+ hour long video game cinematic that forgot to include the "hero" in superhero. If the endless DBZ fighting scenes and mindless punching are your thing, yeah, you'll enjoy it. The movie kept talking about 'hope' and Clark being destined for more, but when the world is falling around him you expect him to at least occasionally save lives along the way. I don't have a problemA joyless 2+ hour long video game cinematic that forgot to include the "hero" in superhero. If the endless DBZ fighting scenes and mindless punching are your thing, yeah, you'll enjoy it. The movie kept talking about 'hope' and Clark being destined for more, but when the world is falling around him you expect him to at least occasionally save lives along the way. I don't have a problem with how the fight with Zod ended, but I do have a problem that the buildup wasn't there so the victory/choice wasn't truly earned. After thousands of people die (which he stops to stand over their corpses to kiss Lois, ugh not a romantic moment), he suddenly cares about four idiots in a subway who don't know how to run away? Not convincing. This frat boy punch face stuff just does not comprehend the heart and joy of the Superman franchise.

Also, blatant commercial plugs for IHOP, Sears, etc were farrrr too blatant.

The only reason this movie is not getting a '0' is because Zod was a well-acted, well-portrayed villain despite the strange voice impediment, and the Krypton stuff at the beginning was fun (though again, favored action over depth, at least it had more depth than the rest of the movie).

This movie also has the most pointless death ever. Because even though he's fast enough to be a blur, they needed some B.S. dramatic moment that 'looked cool' for some dumbass reason.

Awful movie. Made me realize how much better Superman Returns was because of all the things it got right despite being a flawed movie.

Don't watch Man of $teel. With any luck the Batman/Superman movie will be better, but I doubt it, because jock-brained Zach Snyder is still helming it.
  35. Dec 18, 2014
    This is just a very brief review, but DO NOT GET THIS. It makes no sense. The main problem is, it keeps going backward and forwards in time, until you reach the point when you have literally no idea when the particular scene is set. The only thing going for it is the giant dub step machine.
  36. Aug 5, 2013
    I didn't like the movie, which is a real shame since I really love Superman. The story told has a nice twist to it but the potential was left dead on the floor. Henry Cavill was a really bad casting choice he's just not good at this part (and come on close shots of him with his chest hair flowing out of his suit?).

Superman Returns was a much better film that made me feel really

Superman Returns was a much better film that made me feel really excited about Superman and the people he protects. The new film is just a disappointment. Watch this at home.
  37. Mar 14, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loved the movie. It was time someone updated the myth of Superman, the hero was created in the 30 's.... A time when women didn't have the right to vote, and everything was black or white (commie or not). Seeing Lois Lane inquire about Supes and discovering who we really is from the beginning is a good thing to me. The gritty look is good too. Expand
  38. Jul 7, 2013
    This movie proves that to be a critic you must be at the very least retarded.

MoS is by far the best action movie of this Millennium. If you like Special Effects, Epic Fights and not dumped movies like lets say ....Iron Man 3? The Amazing Spiderman? Avengers?....and you do not want your intelligence get offended cause the director was retarded.....Watch Man of Steel. If you want
    This movie proves that to be a critic you must be at the very least retarded.

MoS is by far the best action movie of this Millennium.

If you want an action movie that the starring hero/ superhero, is not some half-way comedian punk that his powers some times are ON some times are OFF Watch Man of Steel.

If you want to see a superhero actually using his brain... Watch Man of Steel.

If you want a superhero movie that isn't made for making 16year old girs getting in love with the starring actor........Watch Man of Steel.

Last but not least, so far and if my memory serves well (apart from Nolan's Batman) Its the only Superhero movie that actually explains every single detail.

This is a dark, epic, serious, well made action superhero movie.
    Its not supposed to be funny, nor romantic, nor for kids.
  39. Jun 22, 2013
    I think a lot of movie critics are being too harsh with this one. I like the darker tone of thos movie and a found the characters very interesting. I do agree the fight sceenes were over done. Overall I really enjoyed this movie.
  40. Jun 26, 2013
    Good movie, but fans of comics should be aware that this is slightly different interpretation of the well-known stories. The only thing that upsets is an abundance of special effects. Sometimes you want to say, "Whoa, wait. I do not understand what's going on.". A start. I hope they can bring the franchise to a new level, more than just a summer blockbuster.
  41. Jun 16, 2013
    Critics are conflicted but I felt "Man of Steel" was the best movie I had seen in a long while. It's not big on plot development (let's face it, pretty much everyone watching it knows how Superman started) and some liberties are taken with characters (not too noticeable though), but it was a masterful synthesis of action, screenplay, and meaning that will take you away if you let yourselfCritics are conflicted but I felt "Man of Steel" was the best movie I had seen in a long while. It's not big on plot development (let's face it, pretty much everyone watching it knows how Superman started) and some liberties are taken with characters (not too noticeable though), but it was a masterful synthesis of action, screenplay, and meaning that will take you away if you let yourself become immersed in it.

I'm just glad it didn't go down the old dreaded path of "Superman is invincible until exposed to a magical sample of glowing moon-rock", which has been the bane of practically everything Superman to date.
  42. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Henry Cavill is the one major thing that makes this movie worth seeing. He’s vulnerable, but when the scene warrants it, he somehow brings exactly the amount of intimidating gravitas needed. For that reason, the interrogation scene with Lois at the mid-way point of the flick is easily my favorite it’s the moment that ultimately sold me on Cavill in the role. In that scene Kal-El is respectful, but he also carries himself in such a way that it makes you believe it when it’s noted that the military could never even hope to control him. To me, he is utterly believable, and a worthy successor to Christopher Reeve.

Despite being a glorified Jedi Knight, Russell Crowe made a decent father figure for Kal-El. The amount of screen time he had after being murdered was actually rather startling. No doubt because “Russell Crowe”.

I’m not entirely familiar with Michael Shannon, but as a bad guy he did his job proper as the Shouty Evil Madman. He’s no Terence Stamp, but this a different Khan. I mean Zod.

The rest of the cast was pretty much transparent. Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne, Kevin Costner, and Diane Lane seem to exist only to fill the required spaces in the script. None of them brings anything especially memorable to the table. I don’t blame them, as actors, because that’s reflective of the movie in general aside from plot issues, this version of Superman’s world is as dry as a saltine. In contrast, Margot Kidder and Jackie Cooper had immense personality. These same characters in the Man of Steel universe are largely forgettable.

Much like Star Trek Into Darkness, Man of Steel starts out pretty good, and then around the half-way point, things just begin falling apart. Once Zod re-enters the story, the whole thing descends into an almost endless sequence of fighting, explosions, and raw carnage.

Honestly, I’m half surprised Michael Bay didn’t get an Executive Producer credit.

During the numerous battles, Superman takes absolutely no care to keep people from getting killed…until it’s time for his close up at the end, of course. We see him purposely thrust his foes violently through seemingly occupied office buildings and causing gas pumps to explode. This version of Superman, at this point in his life, simply does not give an actual ****

If this was woven into a larger narrative about the consequences of unchecked power a hard, guilt-fueled lesson for Kal-El to learn this might almost be forgivable. But it’s never addressed, and nobody even blinks.

On one hand, I thoroughly enjoyed the exploration of the vulnerable Kal-El an outsider dealing with heavy childhood issues, raised in a harsh world not his own. But on the other hand, it really needed some moments of levity to balance things out. The movie is so friggin’ deadpan. I’m not asking for comedy, just a little something to take off the edge.

Because of this, it’s not fun. Batman is the one who’s story is supposed to be grim and serious. The flick only really loosens it’s sphincter at the very end, with the female soldier noting how hot Superman was. I let loose a small smirk finally but it was too little, too late.

On a more practical level, visually, the special effects are nearly flawless (but in 2013 that’s to be expected nowadays, movies can no longer coast on amazing visuals alone). But those visuals are bogged down by that dark, depressing, gritty, undersaturated, high-contrast, usually blue-tinted tone present in so many movies of this era. The “shakycam” look got tiresome pretty quick, as well.

The style might have worked if it was just limited to the childhood flashbacks, but it’s used everywhere. At the very least, the style matches the tone of the movie. But that’s definitely not a complement.

There was a lot of potential for something seriously great here, and we may, some day, see such a movie. A sequel with a better story, starring Cavill, could easily hit it out of the park if done right… but as it is, this was an ominous start to DC’s multi-film “Get Us Some of That Sweet Marvel Movie Cash” arc.

Worse, this movie seriously damages my optimism for the inevitable Justice League movie, and as a guy who tends to enjoy DC comics characters more than Marvel, that hurts quite a bit.
  43. Jun 22, 2013
    Everything wrong with Superman Returns has been righted with Man of Steel. We get to see Supe punch the hell out of Zod and his cronies and we get a more interesting back story. Character development is as good as you can expect for a comicbook adaptation but overall the action sequences steal the show. Triumphant return for Superman. Just wish Zod had asked him to kneel.
  44. Jun 17, 2013
    What???? Superman is Jesus??? Who would'a thought it Jesus/Superman is a naturalised American bought up in Texas.
    So, let me get this straight, Jesus/Supermans' nemesis is the Super Villain Zod/Bin Laden who is trying to change America by destroying buildings and changing the environment to make it habitable for his Race???
    To add to this heady mix, it seems that Jesus/Superman is a
    To add to this heady mix, it seems that Jesus/Superman is a Superhero by way of Twilight. Bland sexless uninteresting and 2 dimensional, but at least the American Military love Jesus/Superman and he loves them. Which is sweet.
    I would also like to thank the Producers and Studio for letting me know what make of camera I should be buying. The product placement in this movie was better than the Hol(e)y plot line.
    Lois Lanes' character was as fleshed out as a skeleton on a diet, and her relationship with Jesus/Superman was as wet as a wet thing on a wet day in wet land.
    Bad acting
    Overlong tedious and dodgy CGI.
    Apart from that the movie was pretty bad
  45. Jul 2, 2013
    Severely underrated by the critics. This is by far the best action film I've seen in a long time. The acting was superb and the screenplay was excellent. The IMAX 3D version was spectacular. A critic called this soulless, and I couldn't disagree more. Man of Steel is an epic action movie with heart, soul, and depth.
  46. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok here goes:

I loved this movie. This is the kind of Superman movie that has, for whatever reason, been absent from existence for far too long. You can get a Superman movie like this but you have to look in the DC Comics animated universe. You know, the ones that go straight to Blu-ray Disc. I can't believe it has taken 75 years for Superman to be seen on the big screen in this fashion. It has literally everything the giddy nerd in all of us wants to see from Superman. Intense action, glorious set-pieces, a plot that puts more than one hemisphere in danger and through it all an actor playing Superman who nails every moment he is on screen. I loved Superman Returns but this movie is such a big you to the emo baby mama of that movie. Gone are the days when Lois Lane is just a pretty face and villains exist to have a villain.

No. This is the one we've all been waiting for. It's finally here.

As an origin story, the plot is such a solid take on the sci-fi elements of the comics regarding Krypton that I had a grin on my face basically the entire first 20 minutes. I was hoping the helpful grey levitating droid was going to be named Brainiac but it had a different name. Oh well. Not a big deal.

The fact that Zod is given a heartbeat in this movie is one of the best decisions Goyer and Nolan made when writing this thing. There is a perfect logic behind everything Zod does and you see his point of view with each word from his mouth. He is trying to save the race of people he swore to protect from extinction. A noble cause that a society would expect from all their Generals.

The balance that is struck between Kal's dual heritages and morality is basically the theme of the entire film. Jor-El is all about destiny and being a leader for a lesser people, while Jonathan just wants to protect his child and preaches restraint above all else. The "first contact with an alien" aspect is touched upon but not as much as I thought it was going to be. I guess that's my fault for reading so many interviews with creators and producers.

All the actors nail it. Literally every one of them. I can't think of a weak spot as far as casting. Faora is ****ing BAD ASS. She kicks so much butt in this movie I'm creaming my pants right now remembering her scenes. Look for her to give you that wow factor as far as action scenes. The Kents serve their purpose with such grace, it makes me sad to say they were barely on screen. Jor-El on the other hand has a good 20-30 minutes of dialogue spread throughout the film. Add him to the bad-ass list, by the way. Scientists get combat training on Krypton, believe that. Michael ****ing Shannon. That is all. That SHOULD be all for anyone who doubts him. Amy Adams and Henry Cavill probably needed more screen time together to get a good chemistry going but this movie is not about them. This is an origin story, not the love story that I'm sure will be more fleshed out in a potential sequel.

Hans Zimmer's score isn't as memorable as Williams' but it's about ten times more powerful and visceral. Tonally, it goes perfectly with everything that is going on on screen.

It seems like the last third of the film being nonstop action and ultimately an entire city block of Metropolis being turned into ashes is being used as a scapegoat for critics. There more collateral damage in this movie than I've ever seen in a superhero movie. Some may find it off-putting for a Superman movie but I didn't find it jarring at all. You have to believe a city battle between Kryptonians is going to destroy a few buildings. It's either that or have a castrated final battle between Zod and Superman. No thanks. Give me MORE explosions and MORE destruction if the world is at stake.

One final thought on Henry Cavill as Superman. As an actor, playing the role of Superman should be relatively easy on paper, but when you get down to the nitty gritty, the character is relatively complex. He has to know what to do without knowing who he is. He has to know what to say without knowing how to feel. There is a boy scout stigma attached to the character that the script lets Superman break free of, but would have been utterly pointless with the wrong person at the helm. Henry Cavill is not only the right actor for the job, he's the right face and aura. The right voice tone, the right rhythm to his speech, even the way he looks at General Swanwick at the end of the movie after he downs a drone and tells the Army basically "I know you're spying on me, stop it". The look is one of quiet dignity and utter confidence in what he's saying while still conveying the strength and leadership only Superman can. This is the leader of the Justice League. Routh, for all his similarity to Reeve could NEVER lead a League of superheroes.

After seeing the film, the only thing I could think was "I can't ****ing WAIT for MOS 2 and Justice League." That's a feeling most Superman fans have been waiting for for a long time.
  47. Jun 23, 2013
    Wow, I was really concerned about the "critic" review of this film. I mean it's Superman, how can it be bad? I went and saw it it with my wife, and we left the theaters with smiles on our face. Great movie. I take issues with the effects and animation of characters, but I enjoyed the clear crisp picture otherwise. Henry Cavil will be a great Superman, and the villain was great. ThereWow, I was really concerned about the "critic" review of this film. I mean it's Superman, how can it be bad? I went and saw it it with my wife, and we left the theaters with smiles on our face. Great movie. I take issues with the effects and animation of characters, but I enjoyed the clear crisp picture otherwise. Henry Cavil will be a great Superman, and the villain was great. There were some questionable scenes in the movie like when Louis Lane showed up at the fight scene near the end at Grand Central Station so fast or how they recklessly fight everywhere. But these are just minor things. Nothing like how the critics made it sound it's terrible. It'snot They are terrible at having an opinion. Best Superman yet. Expand
  48. Jun 15, 2013
    I had high expectations going into this movie, then got a little skeptical when seeing all the critic reviews. But after seeing it all I can say it wow. The movie from the start keeps your heart going and you engaged. The story was brilliant and more scientific then the older superman movies. The action was a lot more than I expected but it was good because it all made sense. The specialI had high expectations going into this movie, then got a little skeptical when seeing all the critic reviews. But after seeing it all I can say it wow. The movie from the start keeps your heart going and you engaged. The story was brilliant and more scientific then the older superman movies. The action was a lot more than I expected but it was good because it all made sense. The special effects were magnificent. The actors that they casted were just great. Russell Crowe, Diane Lane, and Kevin costner did just spectacular jobs. The music is perfectly done by Hanz Zimmer and fits this movie really nicely. Go and see this movie. You will not be disappointed. Expand
  49. Jun 15, 2013
    This was not only the best superhero movie to date but also the most thrilling summer movie in memory. Fans of Superman will be very pleased by his treatment in this film and hopefully chase any lingering angst from the previous debacle .This is also a movie for anime fans as this is the Dragonball movie they deserve. I can not give a higher recomendation. See this movie!
  50. Jul 9, 2013
    I do not agree with the critics, a film based on a super heroes like batman or superman this check for an audience that child lived with these heroes to siferencia of lasanteriores marvel movies where this child together very public with current this film gives us a nice moment of entertainment and pays the debt he had with us in the previous movie superman
  51. Jun 21, 2013
    Why did they change Superman? What was wrong with him? I feel like its the same as with the Dark Knight Rises... So different from the source that it may as well be something completely different.
  52. Jun 14, 2013
    Very, very well made movie. Despite the last forty minutes being one straight up action scene, the first one hundred are excellent insights into Clark Kent's troubled character. Not to mention a climax that will leave you agape.
  53. Jun 23, 2013
    I usually don't write reviews, but I had to warn you.
    I'm not one of those snobs who can't enjoy a summer flick, and some of my favorite movies are not academy-award material. But this movie is the first to make me it was such a stupid waste of time, that I left the cinema with my friends.
    I usually don't write reviews, but I had to warn you.

The movie just takes itself too seriously and ends up not being fun. It's like watching a kid telling you a simple story, while being all serious and so sure it's the greatest most important story in the world.

The dramatic scenes, which could have been the highlight of the movie, are cut too short for the effect to hold. It seems Snyder was worried his audience will get bored by actual story and just cut it down to a minimum in a way which, frankly, was insulting. It's like watching a movie with ADHD.

The bit of story that did make it in, is full of absolutely idiotic holes, and the characters are flat and undeveloped. I wish I could give you examples without spoiling the movie, but I can't. I can just say that I was laughing occasionally because it was so ridiculous and poorly written. So many "come on!" and "Are you serious" moments. Most characters act out of whim, are totally irrational and they all feel like they are still in junior high.

And the love story? Twilight fans should be pleased, because we finally found a movie with a worse love story. In this movie, there is simply no story. There's no love, and then there is, just like that with barely any justification.

The action sequences are terribly long and overdone, as if a little kid took control over the CGI studio and forced them to put his wildest fantasies into the movie. The action was rare and when it did arrive, it was way too much and not really fun. The visuals were very professional but lacked soul, ranging from generic computer game look to a terrible Instagram palette. Honestly, it was disappointing and not worth the price of admission.

Eventually, during the great (boring to tears) finale, me and my friends realized we're not that target audience (We are a group of 24-30 years old). But knowing myself, I wouldn't have enjoyed this whimsical movie even at age 10. It's just not fun. We left and got something to eat instead.

I realize there are a lot of fans out there, so before you send me any hate mail, just remember it's a matter of opinion. I found this movie to be a terrible experience for intelligent adults, but that's not a universal fact. It's just an opinion!
  54. Jul 2, 2013
    Just had to vote this up. It seems all the bad reviews come from people who don't read comics and therefore do not understand the significance this movie holds to future comic based movies.

Sure most of the marvel movies were fun to watch, but to a comic reader they are just watered down hollywood products. Man of Steel on the other hand has the pacing and feel of a Superman comic.

Man of Steel on the other hand has the pacing and feel of a Superman comic. I'm not a huge fan of the invincible goody superhero in a blue pyjamamyself, but I must admit that he is the most iconic and one of the most important comic characters ever and the movie does right by him.

The movie itself is not perfect, there are a lot of issues (like too sudden cuts, missing information and too much bla bla), but the tone of the movie and the characters itself are exactly what I expect from a true to the comics superman movie. I definitely want to see more of that in the future. A superhero movie taking itself seriously is what the genre needed.

Now gimme Lex Luther in the second one and I'm happy!
  55. Jun 17, 2013
    I did want to give it 10/10 for making Superman cool again. But film has it's issues. And I get it why critics don't like it. This is a movie with such satisfying action scenes, such great score and feel associated with it. Yes, there could have been more character development, and there is a point where action can get a bit boring. But this is a great foundation for a franchise. ZackI did want to give it 10/10 for making Superman cool again. But film has it's issues. And I get it why critics don't like it. This is a movie with such satisfying action scenes, such great score and feel associated with it. Yes, there could have been more character development, and there is a point where action can get a bit boring. But this is a great foundation for a franchise. Zack Snyder made his best movie to date. And, man, I'm telling you, action sequences in this movie are incredible. Among that there is a great origin story that you can believe in and there are great characters in the movie. This is a diamond like no other, just you wait for the next entry in the series. We might get Superman on a Dark Knight level. And I truly believe that this one delivered too. Expand
  56. Jun 15, 2013
    Probably one of the best movies I've seen in recent memory. Henry Cavill was great as Superman and Michael Shannon played a convincing General Zod. The entire story was believable and every aspect of the movie more than delivered its fair share for me.

I will be seeing this movie maybe two or three more times. GO SEE IT!
  57. Jun 14, 2013
    After watching this movie and finally watching Superman kick some ass, I have three words to describe how I feel: f*** the critics. This movie portrayed Superman as the full fledged badass he is in the comics(you know, the one that destroyed an entire solar system just by sneezing). This movie did the best job yet of showing the actual scale of Superman's strength, unlike the god awfulAfter watching this movie and finally watching Superman kick some ass, I have three words to describe how I feel: f*** the critics. This movie portrayed Superman as the full fledged badass he is in the comics(you know, the one that destroyed an entire solar system just by sneezing). This movie did the best job yet of showing the actual scale of Superman's strength, unlike the god awful Christopher Reeves Series and even worse, Returns. This movie deserves at LEAST a 9/10. Expand
  58. Jun 19, 2013
    I never was a huge comic book fan throughout my years, and this is the first time I have ever been exposed to Superman on any medium. Let me say first like every other user review on her that the critic score does not do this movie justice. The acting in this movie was extremely well done. Everyone had great performances, especially Micheal Shannon. The scale of this movie is literallyI never was a huge comic book fan throughout my years, and this is the first time I have ever been exposed to Superman on any medium. Let me say first like every other user review on her that the critic score does not do this movie justice. The acting in this movie was extremely well done. Everyone had great performances, especially Micheal Shannon. The scale of this movie is literally nothing you have ever experienced before. The amount of carnage and building destruction is unbelievable but at the same time you believe it, which brings me to the visual FX because this has to be the most visually stunning movie ever made and for a superhero movie, it works. Zach Snyder is the king and ever since the watchmen (10 out of 10 as well) hes proven that he along with Nolan is the best a bringing these extraordinary characters to life. This movie is a must see and a must buy when it is released, because I see people watching it over and over again. Expand
  59. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Do yourself a favor and do not read into the critical reviews. look at metacritic, the game has almost a 9.0 rating from regular people but a 55% from the "professional movie critics" who are obviously out of touch with reality. This may be the best movie of the year. The build-up to General Zod's arrival on earth is perfectly paced, they handled Krypton well (like, its just almost exactly like it is in the comics, down to the floaty communicator-thingys). Is there a lot of action in it? Yes. The action feels good though and it keeps you excited for what is next. There was a scene in Smallville that was amazing, the action is great.

Overall, there is more action than story, perhaps yes, but it is appropriate for the first in a series or trilogy to set up the next movies for some good times to be had.
  60. Jun 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a very mature and serious take on the icon that is Superman. It definitely departs from the Donner film, and it has an almost somber tone... which is reflective of the standard set by Goyer and Nolan in the Batman films. I do like the twist on the Lois and Superman (note... not Lois and Clark) such that it eliminates the ruse that is "Clark has glasses, and is completely unrecognizable as Superman" trick.

Cavill fits the role nicely, and is convincing and grounded as Superman. Plus, I really wanted to see Superman as action hero, and boy does it deliver on this front. Almost TOO much punching, but I can forgive this sin, as the previous Supes films seemed to shy away from the fact that this is the most powerful dude on the planet. I knew this film was working when I was actively rooting for Superman to win the day, even though he almost ALWAYS wins the day.

I also can see how this film will set up a sequel nicely, in that Lex Luthor could come in and point to the wreckage that is Metropolis, and blame Superman. This was a great reboot to the DC comic line. Now time for Wonderwoman!
  61. Jun 22, 2013
    Man of Steel is in essence a hollow two hour music video featuring a caricature of Superman. The plot is wafer-thin, utterly incoherent, and instantly falls apart where even an iota of thought is applied. The so-called characters are one-dimensional, lacking any depth, development, or motivation. Nothing and no-one makes any sense. It would seem that the loud and flashy visuals wereMan of Steel is in essence a hollow two hour music video featuring a caricature of Superman. The plot is wafer-thin, utterly incoherent, and instantly falls apart where even an iota of thought is applied. The so-called characters are one-dimensional, lacking any depth, development, or motivation. Nothing and no-one makes any sense. It would seem that the loud and flashy visuals were cranked up to 11 in an attempt to disguise or compensate for this. Shame then the visuals themselves are also quite poor.

In terms of Superman's world-famous conscience and moral values, both the movie and the portrayal of Superman himself are also repugnant. I find it very difficult to believe that even the most casual of Superman fans would fail to miss the utter disregard for human life displayed. I won't say anything more about this to avoid providing spoilers.

Fans of Superman or just of decent films in general should avoid this.
  62. Jun 14, 2013
    Great Movie, most of critic reviews are nonsense, it is a great start for the new saga of Superman, the only weak points i found are, maybe too much details in the story, and maybe just maybe, too much destruction, but the movie was meant to be made in this way

This is all what i expected from a Superman Vs General Zod Battle. Russell Crowe, Henry Cavill and Michael Shannon acting

This is all what i expected from a Superman Vs General Zod Battle.

Russell Crowe, Henry Cavill and Michael Shannon acting was terrific.

This is an almost perfect beginning for a perfect sequel.
  63. Jun 19, 2013
    This movie does a lot of things well and a lot of things REALLY BADLY. Single scenes are inspired, Jor-El's role in assisting Clark oppose Zod is very well-written and acted, and the production of the film is stellar. Yet plot holes abound, Cavill obviously interpreted Clark as a cinder block in a cape, and the entire second half smacks of typical Zack Snyder trash, all action, noThis movie does a lot of things well and a lot of things REALLY BADLY. Single scenes are inspired, Jor-El's role in assisting Clark oppose Zod is very well-written and acted, and the production of the film is stellar. Yet plot holes abound, Cavill obviously interpreted Clark as a cinder block in a cape, and the entire second half smacks of typical Zack Snyder trash, all action, no thoughts, hero and villain punching each other from set piece to set piece. The bipolar film careens from intelligent, interesting and boisterous to utterly imbecilic and back again, sometimes all in the same scene. Sadly, this movie is not worth the price of admission as the sum of its parts are less than the individual brilliance of certain ideas.

You spend the first half dealing with garbled backstory, presented via flashbacks. The actors playing Young and Teen Clark convey a good deal emotion, which is to say they do a whole lot more in their limited screen time than Cavill. The character of Jonathan Kent is laughably stupid (Seriously, the theater laughed at him in nearly every flashback) While the individual flashbacks mostly work, they are jarring in the course of present-day plot and make the entire first act feel disjointed. One has to wonder if this is where a better director would have helped, as the movie lacks a cohesive feel. It harms the slower pacing and bores the viewer. Overall, the film attempts something similar to Bruce Willis' Unstoppable: the creation of a superhero in the modern world. It's not a bad idea and there is some merit to the film's attempt but it comes across as a mediocre sci-fi film (much like Unstoppable). It certainly doesn't feel like a superhero movie, which doesn't seem so bad until compared to...

...the special effects-laden, seemingly endless punchfest the second half devolves into. Given Zack Snyder's track record of making over-produced soulless action flicks, I suppose this should have been expected. It's almost as if one of the producers helmed the first half while Snyder yawned and interrupted all the talky scenes with incessant one-liners and cries of "Booo-ring" like a highly paid high school student, then snapped to attention and started making race car noises when it was time to choreograph the action scenes. There's not a lot to say past that. It's highly produced action, non-stop, until the end of the movie. Some of it is smart, some is moronic, there are highlights and lowlights, but with no serious plot behind it, it feels weightless.

This movie does a lot of things, though none entirely well. At points every aspect is great and at others terrible. As such it can only ever top out as a mediocre movie: an action movie that bores you to tears for half the time or an interesting plot device riddled with holes and a mind-numbingly stupid ending. No matter which side you pick, you wind up disappointed.
  64. Jun 16, 2013
    While mainstream critics are correct in saying the much of the movie is a action spectacle, I believe most of the general audience already had a solid footing on who Superman is and his origin. Warner Bros. picked up from where the whole idea of Superman has always left off. They gave Superman something to fight for but didn't take an hour to set it all up and it worked.
  65. Jul 3, 2013
    Man of Steel was okay. Not great, nor bad. I think Henry Cavill was the strongest part of the film. They really went overboard with the action, as if they were trying to make up for Superman Returns. I found it sorta exhausting after a while.

I've seen a lot of different problems pointed out about the movie. I have a few but my biggest is how was General Zod, who was the foremost warrior on his planet and bred to be the best, so easily beat by Superman's father, the foremost scientist of the planet. Then he loses to the man's son, who's genes were completely random. I'm just saying General Zod really sucked at his job if you ask me.
  66. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall "Man of Steel" is very entertaining and does a good job encompassing the "Superman" we all know today. However I did have my qualms detailed below (in no particular order).
    Cons:

1. The beginning of the movie was very non-linear with flashbacks and present time, making it mildly difficult to draw connections from Clark Kent's past to his present day situations.

2. Understanding the meaning of a sacrifice from Jonathon Kent to protect Clark's secret was extremely clear, however it was tactfully done to save a dog? I would have been much more satisfied to see the man that bestowed all of his values and ideals to superman die trying to save a human being.

3. When Clark first boarded Zod's ship with Lois, he underwent some type of reaction to the atmosphere in the ship, later referred to as Krypton's atmosphere. Zod goes on to explain to Clark that it is an adverse reaction since Clark has become so acclimated to Earth's atmosphere he cannot sustain his strength in Krypton's. This makes perfect sense, but since Zod made it clear that it was Clark's acclimatization to Earth's atmosphere that was causing his weakness, then why is Clark able to sustain life in space without any problems when space clearly is not composed of the same atmosphere as Earth?

4. Way to much destruction and explosion. Was this a Michael Bay film or a Zack Snyder film. Metropolis, which was not established early enough as the city being pictured, is now completely destroyed. Clark Kent, the ultra-moral and ethical Superman, seemed to have no hesitation or apprehension in destroying anything in his path to fighting Zod. i.e. when Zod threatens Martha Kent, instead of fighting Zod in the open acreage of a farm, Clark sees it fit to carry Zod into urban territory, through a party store, gas station, and into an oil tanker causing tons of destruction and probably multiple injuries or deaths. The Superman I usually picture in my head would most likely deal with his enemies in the least destructive way, with minimal casualties and damage to surrounding structures.

5. Cheesy Dialogue, “Sorry Sir, but I just think he’s kinda hot” Was that really necessary? Everyone watching the movie has eyes and can see for themselves that Henry Cavill is a good looking guy. There were multiple lines like this including Lawrence Fishburne telling his Co-worker to stay while she is pinned under hundreds of pounds of concrete rubble. It was also somewhat off-putting that the Kryptonians had identical dialects/dialogues to humans. These seemingly extremely advanced race from 100,000 years ago talks the exact same way that humans do in the 21st century?

6. At the end of the movie when it flashes back to Clark as a child and his father watching him play with his dog, it is probably confirming the foreshadowing of Clark’s father’s repetitive notion towards the prophetic idea that Clark is destined for great things. But why is he playing with a red towel attached to his back like a cape? Who the hell is he imitating? I assume it’s little red riding hood, because I know when I did that same thing when I was a kid, I was imitating Superman.

7. Zod’s character progressively develops into an evil Superman like nemesis that sports the same powers as Superman and yet Superman cannot be killed and Zod is killed? If I snap Clark Kent’s neck her should die?

Pros:

1. Very entertaining and a lot of back story information for those not exceptionally versed in DC comics like myself.

2. Great ending with Clark Kent killing Zod, effectively illustrating his biological father’s dream for him come true. The bridging of two people. Clark exercised his gift of free choice in killing Zod given to him by his father, and reaped to moral consequences on his conscience after doing it, the result of a human upbringing on earth. Jor-El’s vision of Kal-el being the bridge of two people becomes literal as he is ultimately a bridge of two people in Kal-El and Clark Kent. As well as in his system of beliefs and biological makeup, housing the DNA of a billion Kryptonic people.
  67. Dec 16, 2013
    No redeeming value. Big budget, dumb plot, just action sequence after action sequence. When two invincible people fight, how do you decide what a "deadly" move is? I just don't get it.
  68. Jun 17, 2013
    This is a DragonBall Z Movie become a Real Movie! Deep and meaningful story, it explained why the Superman need to suit up, why the Kryptonite stone will weaken the man of steel. And the last part of the movie is SUPER ACTION PACKED! Just like DBZ come alive! punching through giant building, destruction and lightning speed fighting! One of the best action scene in recent years!
  69. Jun 14, 2013
    I had my doubts about Man Of Steel but after watching Superman come alive and kick some serious ass, I was happily proved wrong. The film captures the humanity of Superman's search to be human even after finding out who he really is. David S. Goyer's screenplay perfectly reflects Kal-El's struggles and challenges growing up in today's world. Zack Snyder has managed to do the impossible, heI had my doubts about Man Of Steel but after watching Superman come alive and kick some serious ass, I was happily proved wrong. The film captures the humanity of Superman's search to be human even after finding out who he really is. David S. Goyer's screenplay perfectly reflects Kal-El's struggles and challenges growing up in today's world. Zack Snyder has managed to do the impossible, he has successfully made the Man Of Steel relevant and above all human. With a strong cast including Russel Crowe as Jor-El, Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and of course Henry Cavill as Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El. Michael Shannon makes a truly menacing General Zod that you actually respect for his notions but understand his questionable motives. Overall, Man Of Steel is a pleasant surprise filled with plenty of little Easter eggs for DC fans to look out for. This is one summer blockbuster you won't want to miss, Zack Snyder has created another epic superhero masterpiece. Expand
  70. Jun 14, 2013
    Great movie, the character of Superman is above that of Bale as Batman or any other superhero. He is Stoic and reminds me of Gosling in drive. Doesnt need to say much or emote much and that is what makes you interested in him. The character drove me a lot. The story was great too!
  71. Jun 14, 2013
    I don't know how the critics could compare this movie to the likes of Michael bay. Zack Snyder did a splendid job of portraying superman as realistic as possible, something which the previous movie lacked. The emotional depth of the man behind the cape is presented in such a way, that the audience can connect with the hero and actually relate with him. The actors were perfect, with HenryI don't know how the critics could compare this movie to the likes of Michael bay. Zack Snyder did a splendid job of portraying superman as realistic as possible, something which the previous movie lacked. The emotional depth of the man behind the cape is presented in such a way, that the audience can connect with the hero and actually relate with him. The actors were perfect, with Henry Cavill shining in the superman outfit. The script was perfect, penned by goyer and nolan, presenting the story of superman's origins and his difficulties, and at the same time having enough feel of 'realism' to it just like the dark knight trilogy. The action sequences were just plain awesome, providing enough special effects to compare with the avengers. This movie was just what the once-popular hero needed, an emotional origin story with some butt-kicking action. Man of Steel provides everything one hoped for, it delivers just everything one expected in the movie. Hopefully, Superman should collect enough revenue for at least a trilogy. Expand
  72. Jun 29, 2013
    Hmm. My opinion may not be the popular one, but here goes. I can't say in words how excited I was for this movie. Previews were epic, cast is amazing....this movie just didn't seem to have a soul. My girlfriend hated it, but I thought it was good, just not great. I just didn't care much for many of the characters I was seeing, such as the reporters who somehow seemed to be the only peopleHmm. My opinion may not be the popular one, but here goes. I can't say in words how excited I was for this movie. Previews were epic, cast is amazing....this movie just didn't seem to have a soul. My girlfriend hated it, but I thought it was good, just not great. I just didn't care much for many of the characters I was seeing, such as the reporters who somehow seemed to be the only people who survived the entire city being destroyed...too much action and not enough character for me. Also, this movie seemed very corny in spots. It was more Avengers popcorn fun than Batman serious fun, if that makes sense. I WANT to love this movie but I just don't. I do however think the sequel set up was great and looking forward to seeing the other half of the superman alter ego that was missing from this one and provide maybe SOME comic relief. Expand
  73. Oct 21, 2013
    In one super man movie he turns back time, sadly for the franchise this cant be done. It has been cursed to walk the earth as a dry cliche american pie Jesus swagger piece of junk. Avoids it or better yet just skip around and save your self 2 hours.
  74. Jun 21, 2013
    Somewhat humorless and a few silly story elements, but spectacular set pieces and visuals. Even acting throughout. A nice, different kick at the can at the Superman character. First movie to really show how powerful Superman really is in the comic books. (without oddities like turning back time or memory-sapping kisses) Thoroughly enjoyed it despite it's problems.
  75. Jul 14, 2013
    It was a great movie. It was greatly directed and the visules were stunning. I never thought any super hero movie would top the dark knight... and even if man of steel might not have to some people it sure came close
  76. Jun 15, 2013
    The best superman movie ever. Full of action and great acting, this is the superman movie we've always needed. Zack Snyder has done a wonderful job bring superman into the real world and making him human
  77. Jun 15, 2013
    I cannot believe how negative the critic reviews are on this site, this movie deserves a minimum of an 8 for quality alone, a 5.5(at the time of writing) is just wrong to me. I understand that you don't have to like a movie if you don't want to, but such a mediocre score for a movie I consider fantastic is just jarring. To make this brief, this movie has wonderful writing, wonderfulI cannot believe how negative the critic reviews are on this site, this movie deserves a minimum of an 8 for quality alone, a 5.5(at the time of writing) is just wrong to me. I understand that you don't have to like a movie if you don't want to, but such a mediocre score for a movie I consider fantastic is just jarring. To make this brief, this movie has wonderful writing, wonderful acting, amazing effects, beautiful sets and costumes, a great amount of weight to the world and its people, deep characterization, and a conflict that actually takes some thought. There is only a couple of flaws with this movie, which is why i have given it a 9 as opposed to a 10. 1: Zod chewed the scenery too much for such a serious movie. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE some cheese every once in a while, but when the entire world takes everything so seriously, Zods overacting at points in the movie is kind of out of place and silly at times. 2: A couple of times people will say information before they know about it, like when a general says "Krypton" before Superman has mentioned that he is Kryptonian or from Krypton.
    Aside from those 2 nit picks, the movie is a very fun movie, and a very smart one too. But what else would you expect from such an amazing team as Snyder and Nolan.
  78. Jun 27, 2013
    Instead of telling all obvious good things about this movie, I will just say that i will watch it again tomorrow. I have NEVER done this with any movie. And this is coming from a person who was never a big fan of Superman.
  79. Jun 14, 2013
    Man of Steel was amazing! The way the past was worked into the movie was perfect. I enjoyed seeing the struggles Clark had growing up and how they shaped him becoming the man he was and ultimately the final fight scene so emotional. I enjoyed Henry Cavill's performance as Superman and even though I grew up with Christopher Reeves, this is the Superman I always envisioned. The actionMan of Steel was amazing! The way the past was worked into the movie was perfect. I enjoyed seeing the struggles Clark had growing up and how they shaped him becoming the man he was and ultimately the final fight scene so emotional. I enjoyed Henry Cavill's performance as Superman and even though I grew up with Christopher Reeves, this is the Superman I always envisioned. The action sequences were absolutely amazing. The fight scenes had me on the edge of my seat, they were tough and at times brutal and ultimately just delivered what I had hoped to see out of this movie. Michael Shannon was fantastic as Zod but his female side-kick almost stole the show. Amy Adams as Louis Lane was probably my least favorite character, not because she is a bad actress and does horrible, I just have a hard time picturing her as Louis. Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner and Diane Lane were perfectly cast and I love they signed on for what could be considered minor parts.

This is definitely one of those the critics got wrong. They have some legitimate critiques of the Man of Steel but I don't think enough weight has been given to its strengths which are many. If you listen to the critics this time around you are depriving yourself of an awesome entertainment experience. Go see it!
  80. Jun 18, 2013
    Why does this have a 55 out of 100?! This movie is EXCELLENT! There is no other way to describe it. Henry Cavil, Amy Adams, Russel Crowe and Michael Shannon.....Michael "M*****F******" Shannon were AMAZING! Story was rich, acting was superb and lets not even get started with the special effects. Some of the best I've seen to date! Personally, this beats the Dark Knight, Iron Man and prettyWhy does this have a 55 out of 100?! This movie is EXCELLENT! There is no other way to describe it. Henry Cavil, Amy Adams, Russel Crowe and Michael Shannon.....Michael "M*****F******" Shannon were AMAZING! Story was rich, acting was superb and lets not even get started with the special effects. Some of the best I've seen to date! Personally, this beats the Dark Knight, Iron Man and pretty much any superhero movie ever made. Do yourself a favor and go buy yourself a ticket to go see this movie. You'll want to watch it over and over and over again! Expand
  81. Jun 30, 2013
    A cinematic blockbuster with action scenes that will just AMAZE you! Yes, this is a different take on the most iconic Superhero that was ever created but, in my opinion, it is better for it. This is a updated and modern Superman for this generation of movie-goers, as it is for those of us who didn't grew up with the original Superman movies back in the late 1970's and 1980's Many fansA cinematic blockbuster with action scenes that will just AMAZE you! Yes, this is a different take on the most iconic Superhero that was ever created but, in my opinion, it is better for it. This is a updated and modern Superman for this generation of movie-goers, as it is for those of us who didn't grew up with the original Superman movies back in the late 1970's and 1980's Many fans have already said to ignore critics as most of their reviews are very harsh. I agree with the fans. Many of the critics compare this movie to the original superman movies as they said that those movies had more heart and humor. To me, this is very unfair and biased as they can't accept the fact that this is a reboot and thus a different Superman from the one that they remember from the original films. This new Superman is grounded, and more serious Expand
  82. Jun 14, 2013
    I don't know why this movie is getting such mixed critic reviews. It was amazing. Definitely the best Superman movie. It takes itself seriously. The action was awesome and the emotion the movie conveys is beautifully done. Crowe does a great job as Jor-El and so does Henry Cavill as Superman. This movie really got me pumped up for a Justice League movie and sets up for a hopefully greatI don't know why this movie is getting such mixed critic reviews. It was amazing. Definitely the best Superman movie. It takes itself seriously. The action was awesome and the emotion the movie conveys is beautifully done. Crowe does a great job as Jor-El and so does Henry Cavill as Superman. This movie really got me pumped up for a Justice League movie and sets up for a hopefully great Superman saga. Expand
  83. Jun 26, 2013
    I don't know if it's because I've never been a huge fan of Superman. I've never read the comics and I've watched the other movies once or twice, but I really liked this film. Even if it's a reboot, it tries to tell Superman's story from a more 'feet-to-ground' level, giving justifications to Superman's motivations and goals. I really liked that. The action scenes where very good and itI don't know if it's because I've never been a huge fan of Superman. I've never read the comics and I've watched the other movies once or twice, but I really liked this film. Even if it's a reboot, it tries to tell Superman's story from a more 'feet-to-ground' level, giving justifications to Superman's motivations and goals. I really liked that. The action scenes where very good and it even gave space for a good measure of character development --lots of film with a higher Metacritic score can't say half of that.

I understand die-hard fans of Superman may expected something else, something more 'faithful' to what the comic may be, and that's why some were disappointed. But I hope you get to this film without expectations, just with the desire to watch something fun and good, then you may enjoy this very, very good film.

Waiting for the blu-ray release.
  84. Jul 6, 2013
    First off, do not believe what the critics are saying because this Superman movie is better than all the other versions combined. Because it is a Zack Snyder movie, I just knew it was going to be as visually appealing as some of his other stuff like "Watchmen" or "300" (and I was not let down). Now this "retelling" of the story is a little more sci-fi than what you would have read in theFirst off, do not believe what the critics are saying because this Superman movie is better than all the other versions combined. Because it is a Zack Snyder movie, I just knew it was going to be as visually appealing as some of his other stuff like "Watchmen" or "300" (and I was not let down). Now this "retelling" of the story is a little more sci-fi than what you would have read in the comics, but that is okay because this is 2013 (not 1933). I am tempted to write more but have decided that what I have already written should be sufficient. Enjoy! See it on the big screen! Expand
  85. Jun 15, 2013
    This movie was an incredible experience, hands down. The action was amazing, the story was intriguing and all the parts were well acted and engaging. Criticism's of "too much action"? Ok, fine, but it's all top notch, they didn't get lazy or rely on cliches or action tropes for a second of it.
  86. Jun 18, 2013
    I had an amazing time watching it, all the action was far superior than any other movie I have seen, but what critics and some fans are saying that the movie is too "dark" and heavy it's true, but avoiding it would be wrong too, because life, real life, is way darker than that, we all face heavy moments, impossible moments and that's what we have in the movie. What really have trashedI had an amazing time watching it, all the action was far superior than any other movie I have seen, but what critics and some fans are saying that the movie is too "dark" and heavy it's true, but avoiding it would be wrong too, because life, real life, is way darker than that, we all face heavy moments, impossible moments and that's what we have in the movie. What really have trashed superheroes movies is the way most companies have them done for kids. Expand
  87. Jun 22, 2013
    I liked Superman, Lois Lane, Perry White, Mama Kent, and a few of the supporting characters. Overall, the cast was not one of my issues with this movie. The exception being Zod, who was really one-note and shouty, despite having a pretty understandable motivation for doing what he was doing. He could have been an interesting character, but they didn't go that route, which is prettyI liked Superman, Lois Lane, Perry White, Mama Kent, and a few of the supporting characters. Overall, the cast was not one of my issues with this movie. The exception being Zod, who was really one-note and shouty, despite having a pretty understandable motivation for doing what he was doing. He could have been an interesting character, but they didn't go that route, which is pretty disappointing. But he wasn't the sole disappointment. Another thing that didn't work for me was the prologue on Krypton. It was too long and way more science fiction-y than I was expecting, criticisms that I suppose could be extended to the entire movie. I'm fine with science fiction, but I really think they should have downplayed some of the alien-ness of Krypton. I don't think we needed Russel Crowe riding around on a dragon. It's already ludicrous enough that they're on a different planet yet are identical to us in appearance. You don't need to highlight that by showing the vastly different morphology of Krypton's wildlife. Makes suspension of disbelief a good deal harder. And to be honest, I'm not sure what level of reality they're shooting for in this movie. By making Lois aware of Superman's identity, they've basically conceded that it would be ludicrous for her to be fooled by a pair of glasses. But what about the rest of the world? We see in the last scene that he's working at the Daily Planet (It's real easy to become a reporter at a major metropolitan publication, right?). Not the sort of below-the-radar drifting that he had been doing previously. Seems like just about anyone who has seen Clark and Superman would put two and two together. And I know this is an inherited piece of ridiculousness. It's from the comic books, it's from the previous movies, and they couldn't tear everything to the ground. But the reason it wasn't an issue in previous media (I can only speak for the films as I've not read the comic books), is that they always had an air of campiness to them. Suspending your disbelief wasn't hard because it was clear that the world of Superman didn't really operate on anything resembling real world logic. That's not the case in the dour, self-serious world of Man of Steel. I feel like Superman's identity would be known in about 5 seconds flat. Okay, I'm out of good transitions, so another thing that bothered me was Pa Kent's death. I get that he didn't want his son to reveal himself by saving him, but why didn't he just let Clark get the dog in the first place? He could've done that without raising suspicions. It was just kind of a clumsy way of setting up his death. Also, though I liked Superman and Lois on their own, I thought they had very little chemistry together and their kiss was completely unearned. I'm sure there were other things that bothered me, but I'm not thinking of them right now. Expand
  88. Jun 20, 2013
    I got high hope for the movie after I witnessed how Nolan accomplished for Batman franchise. The movie is great, I must say. But it got multiple rough edges. My actual score is 7.8.
    I don't think the superman is too serious. He is funny enough in another way, like a normal human. He is optimistic, helpful, just like what a great person should be. The movie also reached my expectation on the stance of delivering emotion. The movie truely showed me the conflict in Clark about being normal or unusual.
    However, my first complain about the movie is the performance of some characters. Take Zod as an example, he never showed any sort of emotion. He was just shouting about how he love his people. I believe the movie wants to squeeze a little bit more from him but failed. General Zod and his people are like bad guys with BAD on their faces.
    Second is some of the plot made no sense. Why Zod wants Louise aboard? Why there's a control plug-in in her supposed jail? Why their ships' control is that easy to be overwritten? Why Zod is that easy to be killed even after he takes off his armor? It feels like the good guys were hacking to win.
    The third is the fighting scenes are way too chaotic even on Superman's stance. With the help of Bourne-like shaky camera and half-ass 3D effect, my eyes hurt a little. The fighting sequences are always like "Superman shut up, he gets hit; Superman shout, he wins."
    Overall, the movie worth the tickets, and I'm highly recommended it to DC fans and guys who want to see a blockbuster to kill some time. But I don't think it will be as memorable as Dark Knight Trilogy after couple of years.
  89. Jun 16, 2013
    Superman? More like superboy. An after spending the first 20 min establishing an irrelevant relationship with his father and nemesis, an early scene shows what this version is really made of. Our hero is confronted by an ignorant truck driver and humiliated. Superboy's solution is to walk away without saying a word. Very shortly we find out that he walked out and committed an obviouslySuperman? More like superboy. An after spending the first 20 min establishing an irrelevant relationship with his father and nemesis, an early scene shows what this version is really made of. Our hero is confronted by an ignorant truck driver and humiliated. Superboy's solution is to walk away without saying a word. Very shortly we find out that he walked out and committed an obviously adolescent act by destroying the truck of the driver. The rest of the movie is built around justifications for superman behaving like a boy while all the women and men in uniform treat him like the second coming of christ. At one point he is even juxtaposed with the image of jesus as if the messiah message was to subtle. Visually satisfying at some moments is the best i can say about this movie. Wait for netflix. Expand
  90. Jun 15, 2013
    Freaking Amazing! Proper superhero fighting scene, haven't had this much fun watching people beat each other up since Dragon Ball Z. The story was intriguing and for the first time ever, they showed Krypton and it's people. The Action in this movie deserves a 15/10.
  91. Jun 14, 2013
    This is the best movie I have ever seen. Of course there are some elements that could be perfected, such as the performance of the main actor which in the end, you realize they didn't tell you so much about him and the way he reacts to things.
    Besides that, the movie is just awesome, super fast paced, an incredible story. I just want to say that: justice has been done to the most awesome superhero of all. You get to watch him in all his glory, there are no doubts about his strength and capabilities.
    The best movie (superhero movie, at least) that I have EVER seen.
  92. Aug 26, 2013
    Wow! What a hollow piece of Christian propaganda... Absolutely disgusting. Thank Jebus I didn't pay money to watch this tripe... This movie deserves 0 dollars.
  93. Jun 15, 2013
    After the Superman Returns (2006) I had strong doubts that anyone would be able to properly make a Superman movie. Superman is a really powerful superhero and in portraying him properly many film makers make mistakes. However, Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan have managed to accomplish this. Man of Steel is a well balanced movie that captures the emotional depth of the Superhero andAfter the Superman Returns (2006) I had strong doubts that anyone would be able to properly make a Superman movie. Superman is a really powerful superhero and in portraying him properly many film makers make mistakes. However, Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan have managed to accomplish this. Man of Steel is a well balanced movie that captures the emotional depth of the Superhero and unlike the (2006) movie delivers magnificently on the action as well. Do not miss it. Expand
  94. Jun 16, 2013
    Best superman movie period. The people who rate this movie as the worst movie ever are trolls and all their comments are childish and offensive to other reviewers. This only lead me to think all the haters are really just nuts and childish people.
  95. Jun 15, 2013
    I LOVE Superman.... I grew up loving Superman. Perhaps its that fact that made watching this film so difficult. It is a 2 and a half hour disaster. There is so little dialogue that the film is basically overblown fight scenes followed by repeated action shots of people who seem too stupid to run away from entire buildings blowing up.

The film is so mindless that the only spoiler is

The film is so mindless that the only spoiler is to tell you that after two and a half hours you will be two and a half hours older and ten dollars poorer....

This film did accomplish one thing however... it managed to make Bryan Singer's Superman look like brilliant. Stay away...
  96. Jun 24, 2013
    A good attempt to revive a classic, but just shy of a home run. The action scenes were fantastic, and you'll leave the theater thinking of how fantastic they were. But don't expect the movie to make any lasting marks. The film felt cliche' from start to finish, topped off with an eye rolling ending. The protagonist (need I say who) was extremely static and monotone throughout the wholeA good attempt to revive a classic, but just shy of a home run. The action scenes were fantastic, and you'll leave the theater thinking of how fantastic they were. But don't expect the movie to make any lasting marks. The film felt cliche' from start to finish, topped off with an eye rolling ending. The protagonist (need I say who) was extremely static and monotone throughout the whole film, along with every other oblivious character. Beyond these problems, Man of Steel is a decent film that nails a plethora of things like costume design, music, and special effects. I believe Super Man fans should feel lucky this came out at as good as it did. Expand
  97. Jun 16, 2013
    As a lifelong Superman fan and reader of the comics, I enjoyed the new approach which also kept the essence of the cannon. This film finally saw Superman let loose against a global threat in a scale worthy of the comic books. Henry Cavill looked and acted the part extremely well. There is an argument for more story in the second half but it would have sacrificed the action which manyAs a lifelong Superman fan and reader of the comics, I enjoyed the new approach which also kept the essence of the cannon. This film finally saw Superman let loose against a global threat in a scale worthy of the comic books. Henry Cavill looked and acted the part extremely well. There is an argument for more story in the second half but it would have sacrificed the action which many fans have been waiting to see for a long time. Expand
  98. Jun 23, 2013
    BEST SUPERMAN IN YEARS....!!! GREAT ACTION, NEW FEATURES, GREAT HISTORY GREAT BATLES AND A CONTROVERSIAL ENDING... WHY 55/100 SO NOW YOU ARE SAYING THAT SUPERMAN RESTURNS IS BETTER THAN MAN OF STEEL... DUDES READ COMICS
  99. Aug 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *sigh* The Superman movie about how to not be superman... great...
    Lets get down to it right now: I hate superman as a character and no im not a stupid Batman fanboy yelling and cursing without thinking, i know what SUperman represents and i repect that (even like that) but Superman is just not my thing.

Why i bring this up you may ask? well so you can think about why a Superman hater like me got that this movie doesnt represents superman at all and the thousand and one superman diehard fans love this movie.

Another thing I am not the kind of poeple who knows alot about Acting so im not gonna judge the acting unless its so odvious that even i can notice it.

Lets get the good things out of the way first, since they are fewer: The action, like everyone says, its amazing. Its full of intence moments and tons of blowing up and its all good until you realize your watching a SUperman movie, or at least your suposed to.

What imtrying to say whit this? well if you dont get it right now let me explain: This is not Superman ok? i guess they tried to "Redeem" him from all the bad movies but instead of been a good redemption like the Dark Knight it feels more like a kick in the balls like the Green Lantern movie (live action one). Hell the Green Lantern movie at least got the idea of the hero better that this movie does.

Lets point out the biggest plot holes:
    - The beguing in Krypton feels.... awkward, even out of place somehow. While the effects are cool most of the scene feels too fast to the point you dont really care whats happening or why it happens, mostly your looking at the scene for the effects. Also whats up whit Sup's mother? you know your son was sended to god knows where, your arny is reveling against the goverment and on top of all that the planet is about to blow up and you look bored like "oh here we go again". It really throws you out of the moment, if you where invested in it at all. Its sad when the villain is the one showing some feelings.

- The Scene where the step-father saves the dog from the car but the gets injured and.... you know for some reason tells Clark not to save him.... even hough he had plenty of time to walk to them or Clark to run normally and save him... or... you know i could be all day pointing out ways Clark could have saved him without revealing his powers, or using them at all... next!

- Oh yeah Superman kills Zod... because.... aparently this Superman is way too stupid to know other ways to defeat Zod without killing him like, you know Superman does. Oh wait yeah i forgot this is not SUperman, just some othe guy wearing his costume.

Those where only my mayor plot holes but they bring up the mayor problem of this movie: THIS IS NOT SUPERMAN! sorry for caps but i had to do it... but yeah this is not Superman! Superman is a hero who has a warm heart, whos prescence is enough to inspire hope in the hearts of all around him and who is incredibly strong but its kind enough to let his oponents live.
    A Hero who care more about to protect the people and even the buildings of metropolis than his own life.

As much as i hate to give prays to Superman im a man of honor and i know when my enemy deserves respect.

My name is Krayserlols and If i understand it i hope you do too. Now if you excuse me i heard Lobo appeared in Young Justice.
  100. Jun 17, 2013
    very entertaining movie with fight scenes that shows how superhumans fight. but something was lacking.
    christian bale was batman, rdjr is iron man... but henry, just wasn't superman enough.

but hey, maybe because its just begun... we did not get to see the clark kent we all know till the end. MUST watch!

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.