7.6

1. Jun 19, 2013
    It's not a great improvement from Superman movies, but "Man Of Steel" has some great special effects, is well acted, with a very interesting storyline.
  2. Jun 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (Contains some spoilers)
    After viewing Man of Steel I found that I was talking myself into having a positive reaction for it. Now don't confuse this for a condemnation, there was plenty to like about the newest iteration of the Superman story, but there was a lot to be critical of as well. Let's start with the good stuff.

The most exciting and perfect part of Man of Steel had to be the man himself. Henry Cavill was an excellent choice to play the last son of Krypton. His physical presence never sways far from the center of the film, as it should be when talking about THE superhero of superheroes. Looks, brawn, and a subtle magnetism combine to give us the most believable Superman since the late Christopher Reeve. That said, there was too much brooding and emotional detachment brought to the character this time around. I don't necessarily blame Cavill for this as much as I blame the writer (David S. Goyer) and the director (Zack Snyder). While gritty realism and a darker, foreboding landscape has become the post-9/11 norm in cinema, it does not work in the world of Superman, who has always been an optimistic beacon of hope in the comic and film world. I think a little too much Dark Knight crept into the screenplay and creative input from Goyer and Nolan.
    Other members of the cast were equally excellent in supporting roles. Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner deliver as the two fathers of Kal-El/Clark Kent. Michael Shannon makes us almost sympathetic for the formidable General Zod in the end. Amy Adams, while not a standout in this cast, turns out an worthy performance as the tenacious reporter who will eventually steal the heart of Superman.
    Also of note are the stunning visual effects, refreshing when this well done.

Although there was enough in this film to make me hopeful for some even better sequels in the future, there was also enough in this particular film to cause some concern. There was so much content in the form of origin, flashbacks, exposition, and the overly drawn out final confrontation in this film that the pacing suffered as a result. There was simply too much story to tell in too little time. The franchise would have been much better served had they left several backstory elements for future films. Also of concern was the tremendous lack of character development of anyone outside of Superman and Zod. I kept anticipating a scene where we could get some Superman/Lois connection, maybe not a deep emotional bond, but something other than random flirtation. The frantic pacing and need for overlong building destruction was what we got instead. Seriously, if I saw another random building come crashing down I was going to scream. There is no way they can rebuild a city after all that, it would take a century, even with Superman's help.

My greatest irritation with the movie was the way in which Johnathan Kent was killed. Anyone who knows even a little about the story of Clark Kent knows that his adopted father dies when hes a teenager, and it's important to keep that part of the story because it was such a pivotal moment in the character's history. However, to have Jonathan tell Clark to watch him die in a tornado just to protect his secret seemed a little unbelievable. No one, not even Superman, would stand idly by and watch their father die when they could have saved him. Not even to protect his secret, not ever.

All that being said, I thought it was a noble first effort to reboot a storied franchise. The film did an excellent job of setting up a classic superhero in the midst of our modern world. I eagerly await the much higher potential that this story can climb, or fly, to.
  3. Jun 19, 2013
    Lifeless product. Not the loving film we deserve for time and money. Thirty years from now, no one will cite this film as an example of good film making, but Richard Donner's Superman will always be remembered.
  4. Jun 19, 2013
    With one repetative fight scene after the next. Poorly utilizing Crowe and Costner and no character development of any kind for a number of key people in the movie. This gives you a joyless superman with no charisma or charm even from the man of steel. I was hoping for much more than just your average popcorn action movie. I love action movies but i understand others when they said theWith one repetative fight scene after the next. Poorly utilizing Crowe and Costner and no character development of any kind for a number of key people in the movie. This gives you a joyless superman with no charisma or charm even from the man of steel. I was hoping for much more than just your average popcorn action movie. I love action movies but i understand others when they said the action seemed to dull down other elements such as who the characters are, why they are important, and why they do what they do. Expand
  5. Jun 19, 2013
    "Man Of Steel" was totally entertaining and enjoyable for a fantasy sci-fi action film and as such I give it a 9 of 10. I like the fresh and different approach to this franchise and hope they continue to expand the upcoming sequels with the same freshness. I am thinking Henry Cavill has just become a superstar personality and rightly so for he does a fine job as the man of steel. Worth a look.
  6. Jun 19, 2013
    I have to say this movie really came with an eraser to remove all the old superman history and start fresh. We enjoyed the film as a whole and would recommend it to our friends. It is more than a refreshing update on an old comic book hero.
  7. Jun 19, 2013
    It wasn't prefect but I liked the way they tried to reinvent the canon. The acting was well done in my opinion, even though the story was nothing new. Some of the action sequences were a bit drawn out but other than that I enjoyed this installment of the Superman franchise.
  8. Jun 19, 2013
    Find the postivie reviews by users odd for this one. I had high hopes for the picture however the story fell very very short. Michael Shannon as Zod was amazing. Great acting. The story regarding Lois Lane was awful (knowing how to shoot a gun, from another planet, 2 seconds after being handed to her is just one example). Special effects were amazing, however movie was an easy 30 toFind the postivie reviews by users odd for this one. I had high hopes for the picture however the story fell very very short. Michael Shannon as Zod was amazing. Great acting. The story regarding Lois Lane was awful (knowing how to shoot a gun, from another planet, 2 seconds after being handed to her is just one example). Special effects were amazing, however movie was an easy 30 to 45 minutes too long. The only way I can see users liking this is because it is a "Superman Movie". I think in 3-4 years people will look back and say this is a disappointment. Expand
  9. Jun 19, 2013
    First off be warned that this version is a completely different take any Superman you will have ever known or seen. This is why we get people complaining.. But if Snyder and Goyer followed the story traditionally, then you'd have people complain that it brought nothing new to the table. How can they win? Well they win by successfully presenting a fresh and updated take. It's movingFirst off be warned that this version is a completely different take any Superman you will have ever known or seen. This is why we get people complaining.. But if Snyder and Goyer followed the story traditionally, then you'd have people complain that it brought nothing new to the table. How can they win? Well they win by successfully presenting a fresh and updated take. It's moving with the times. It's very good so give it a chance. There are hardly any boring moments and the action is great. Cavill makes a sombre and amateurish Superman in his early days believable. Amy Adams is good in just about anything she appears in and in Lois Lane she has given us the best version, be it comic book or film. Which leads me on to state that this movie is just as much about Lois Lane as Superman. Never would I have ever imagined that a Lois Lane movie would work and it has here.
    I'll finish off on why this movie didn't get a perfect 10. Well it is long at over 140 minutes. But here's the thing, it didn't feel like it at all and the time flew by. A good sign, though that's where MOS falters a little. The film has a lot crammed in and could have done with more character and story development. Let'd hope the director's cut sorts this out.

Lastly I have no idea why the critics have have been so harsh. But it just seems like it's their current M.O. Just to hate. Heed my warnings/tips and watch it for yourself. I didn't regret it.
  10. Jun 19, 2013
    Man of Steel may have the greatest action in a movie, ever and has a pretty good story to go with it. The film starts with great action with a huge battle on krypton and finishes with a huge battle on earth. The actors did there part and were able to engage the audience most of the time.

Towards the begging of the film there was forced chemistry between some characters but towards the end they greatly improved. Superman's origin was greatly told through flashbacks.

The special effects were amazing and always kept me entertained.
  11. Jun 19, 2013
    Man Of Steel shows some promising aspects but is flawed. the relationship between Kal-El Henry Cavil) and Lois Lane Amy Adams) seemed unnatural and forced the battle scenes were repetitive and the climax was exceedingly disappointing and didn't stir any emotion within me apart from boredom Kevin Costner's touching performance as Jonathan Kent was the highlight of the film.
  12. Jun 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Tin

As you can guess from the title of my review, I did not enjoy “Man of Steel.” It had great effects and the scenes that took place on Krypton were awesome. But overall the MoS was poorly paced, poorly directed, and didn’t provide characters that I could really connect with. The action sequences also lacked a sense of peril because the combatants were invulnerable.

I’ll start off tin what I liked about MoS, Krypton. Krypton was amazing in this film. It looked and felt completely alien. There was a giant flying creature that Jor’El rode on at one point. The structures and plains in the background were uniquely designed. Krypton in this movie was a breathtaking sight to behold. The narrative on Krypton flowed better than the rest of the movie also. Major plot points are setup masterfully on Krypton but soon begin falling apart once the story moves forward to Earth.

On to Earth, and the bad aspects of the film. MoS does a poor job of telling Superman’s origin story and establishing him as a character that we can root for and care about. We get to see Clark Kent roam around aimlessly with a big depression beard, while throwing in flashbacks of his childhood. This part of the movie wasn’t horrible but the pacing was odd. He’s a man, then a boy, then back to a man, then a teen. The individual scenes were good but they were linked in an uncomfortable, schizophrenic manner. The movie begins with Clark’s birth on Krypton, so how about maintaining a linear structure throughout the rest of the movie. Clark discovers his true identity and becomes Superman in a rather matter the fact way also.

Which brings me to another and the most problematic aspect of the movie, unnecessary subplots and superfluous characters. There’s a constant cutting away from Superman to give screen time to characters and subplots that could’ve easily been cut from the movie. Uninteresting shots of military personnel meticulously setting up they’re gear and they’re guns. Scientists who reiterate plot points that General Zod just explained two scenes ago. Lois Lane’s search for Clark after seeing him use his powers really fell flat. All of these subplots detracted from Superman’s story and character development and he felt like a significantly underdeveloped character by the end of the film when we’re supposed to be really rooting for and empathizing with him.

When this movie was first announced I was really put off by the darker tone, but it turns out they stayed true to what and how Superman is supposed to be. Well…. Up until the very end. When the writers put Superman in an impossible situation and he’s forced to do a very Un-Superman like act to save lives.

The villains were not interesting at all in MoS. General Zod is no Joker, Bane, or even Loki for that matter. Zod has zero charisma and he’s completely uninteresting when he’s on screen. I didn't care about what his evil plan was, his fist fights with Superman lacked impact because they were both practically invincible, and his minions were of a dime a dozen seen’em before variety. Zod was the absolute pinnacle of mediocrity. So he fit the rest of this mess of a movie perfectly.

So…… Since Superman and Zod can’t really hurt each other, everything around them gets destroyed. They manage to almost completely level Metropolis during the last 30 minutes of this movie (in between uninteresting shots of military personnel meticulously setting up they’re gear and they’re guns.) I haven’t been this bored watching things blow up since Transformers: Dark of the Moon. I ended up just feeling sorry for all of the fictional people who were going to get stuck with rebuilding Metropolis and cleaning up this mess. During the final battle in Marvel’s Avengers there was destruction, but it was mainly cars and parts of buildings. You didn't feel like there was a catastrophic loss of life during the final showdown in the Avengers. MoS feels like a hundred 9/11s are happening all at once. It felt a little sad, because if city blocks are being completely leveled left and right, you just logically assume that thousands of innocent people are dying during this dumb slug-fest.

That’s my opinion on MoS. It feels like another failed Hollywood attempt to bring Superman to life. Made by people with no respect for the franchise or the comic book art form. Superman’s story has been told correctly in animated form and re-imagined in countless comic books for years. But the director, Zack Snider, and the writers of MoS thought they were all smarter than all of the people who have brought this character to life successfully. Sad. But this movie is still going to make a billion dollars because you people don’t care. You just want mass destruction and explosions. You don’t even care if the plot makes sense or if the characters are fully developed..
    wheregeeksgotodie.wordpress
  13. Jun 19, 2013
    I never was a huge comic book fan throughout my years, and this is the first time I have ever been exposed to Superman on any medium. Let me say first like every other user review on her that the critic score does not do this movie justice. The acting in this movie was extremely well done. Everyone had great performances, especially Micheal Shannon. The scale of this movie is literallyI never was a huge comic book fan throughout my years, and this is the first time I have ever been exposed to Superman on any medium. Let me say first like every other user review on her that the critic score does not do this movie justice. The acting in this movie was extremely well done. Everyone had great performances, especially Micheal Shannon. The scale of this movie is literally nothing you have ever experienced before. The amount of carnage and building destruction is unbelievable but at the same time you believe it, which brings me to the visual FX because this has to be the most visually stunning movie ever made and for a superhero movie, it works. Zach Snyder is the king and ever since the watchmen (10 out of 10 as well) hes proven that he along with Nolan is the best a bringing these extraordinary characters to life. This movie is a must see and a must buy when it is released, because I see people watching it over and over again. Expand
  14. Jun 19, 2013
    Anyone who went to see "Man of Steel" expecting a Dances with wolves" or Black Swan" class of film will be sorely dissapointed. Superhero movies are not meant to winn best movie at the oscars; In the best of cases they are meant to be entertaining.
    That said its pleasing to see that this film does rise above the average superhero movie, Zack Snyder presents a fresh new version of the Superman storyline with a hero that had roots on a much darker corrupted Krypton. The film makes an attempt at staining our beloved boyscout with tryials both moral and philosophical, in this they succeed at least in part. The end result is a more believable human, Superman, one that doesnt just fight for good simply because he does; there is now reason and emotion behind his way of thinking, leaving the audience to ponder how close it all came for him to turn into someone like Zod.
  15. Jun 19, 2013
    When I first found out about Man of Steel, I quickly assumed it's place in the world of cinema was to fill the void left behind by the recent, and also brilliant, Batman trilogy. While I didn't particularly expect something similar from a film with the same producer, I did at the very least expect something with a fraction of the quality.

I found Man of Steel to be a rather soulless

I found Man of Steel to be a rather soulless affair, missing that certain quality that drives you to feel for the plot and those within- a low standard easily achieved by the decidedly bland acting from the majority of the cast, lack of development in the characters, and the poor screenplay riddled with clichés.

That said, the special effects were superb throughout, with only the camera shake effect becoming far too jarring and over-employed. It is for this reason that Man of Steel can only be described as a film that embodies the notion of style over substance. If you like the sound of a film that is overindulgent in explosions and tiresome action action sequences, this may be just the thing you're looking for.
  16. Jun 19, 2013
    Man of Steel (2013) is a modern day take on the Superman lore, it introduces the viewers to Superman's past and his birth on Planet Krypton. The movie wastes no time and plunges the viewer into great action set pieces, while building the foundation for the movies lore.

The characters are believable and their performances are very solid for this type of movie. The so called critics who slam the movie for not having enough humor or for over the top action or for whatever unprofessional reason are completely unfounded in their "arguments" and just prove how arrogant non objective they are, this is not 1970's, hero movies must retain a serious tone to be relevant nowadays.

For the type of movie this is, it is a 8/10 any day of the week! It is by far the most ambitious take on a Superman movie, and it whole heartily succeeds.

Go see this movie if you are a action/science fiction/superhero fan. You won't be disappointed.
  17. Jun 19, 2013
    Don't let the negative critics ruin your mood to watch this movie. It's awesome! Man of Steel provides amazing visuals and fight scenes worthy of a modern Superman movie. Although some of the scenes and dialogue can be a little shifty towards the Hollywood stereotype, there aren't any major problems with the overall aspect of the film. It's beautiful, exhilarating, and overall, fun.
  18. Jun 19, 2013
    There are more holes in this shoddy story then in a pair of fish net tights.The pace of the film is stupid.The story makes no sense at points.Like Lois just randomly climbing across an ice mountain edge just because. Its a joke.Like its the first film I have ever wanted it to end so I could leave the cinema.
  19. Jun 19, 2013
    Amazing action, wonderfully put together and a joy to watch .Brings Superman straight into the 21st century! Cant wait to watch it again! I'm a massive Superman fan, and wasnt that impressed by Singer's 2006 Superman, and ultimatly, thought he would fall behind as the worlds favorite Superhero. But this film has restored my faith and is a rip-roaring ride! Wonderful!!!
  20. Jun 19, 2013
    Words can't even begin to describe how awesome this movie is!Heartbreaking performances,outstanding fights scenes and CGI.Man of Steel reaches perfection.EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!
  21. Jun 19, 2013
    Do not listen to the critics.. this is by far the best superman movie till date!!
    The action is phenomenal and Henry Cavill has done an amazing job, he is Superman!

I wasn't not a huge Superman fan to be honest but after watching this movie I am now!
  22. Jun 18, 2013
    Acting: 7
    Story Line: 10
    Picture: 9.5
    Action: 8.2
    Average: 9 (round off)
    Movie is worth watching. Do not listen to the critics. It is great and powerful; just how superhero movies should be made. If this turns into a full on justice league movie you will be proud to say that you followed the story from its epic beginnings.
  23. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Completely MIND-BLOWING action scenes mixed with very choppy and sometimes bad character development. The main fault of the movie is Superman himself. While he can be shown struggling at a young age, and gives you a sense of where he's coming from and what he's been dealing with, he's never shown as being a fun, humorous character, which is something I personally disliked, but might be completely the opposite for other viewers. Michael Shannon does an ok job as Zod, but feels like a missed opportunity. Antje Traue, who plays Faora, is amazingly good. Some characters are in the movie with practically no purpose at all, but the action scenes can be so good, and keep your mind off of the huge missteps the movie took. All in all, a great "action" movie, but falls in certain areas. Expand
  24. Jun 18, 2013
    You can't hate a movie for the hype you build up for it. I do believe the critics here are a little harsh for this film. Origin stories are always hard for superheroes, but this has to be the perfect one for Superman. In this day and age we live in a world where superhero films are relatively darker than those made ten or twenty years ago. This film definitley captures the essence of thatYou can't hate a movie for the hype you build up for it. I do believe the critics here are a little harsh for this film. Origin stories are always hard for superheroes, but this has to be the perfect one for Superman. In this day and age we live in a world where superhero films are relatively darker than those made ten or twenty years ago. This film definitley captures the essence of that darkness. Its a darker, smarter, and brilliant Superman and superhero film. Zack Snyder wouldnt have be my first choice for this film, but took what he had and used it well. I think what really offputs critics and viewers was the use of Nolans (The director of The Dark Knight franchise) name in the film. I think alot expected to see a brilliant witty and twisty dark film, but were instead given a brilliant Superman film. Superman is not Batman, and never will be. In my view, this is just a start in what will be an amazing new imagining of the Man of Steel. Expand
  25. Jun 18, 2013
    Why does this have a 55 out of 100?! This movie is EXCELLENT! There is no other way to describe it. Henry Cavil, Amy Adams, Russel Crowe and Michael Shannon.....Michael "M*****F******" Shannon were AMAZING! Story was rich, acting was superb and lets not even get started with the special effects. Some of the best I've seen to date! Personally, this beats the Dark Knight, Iron Man and prettyWhy does this have a 55 out of 100?! This movie is EXCELLENT! There is no other way to describe it. Henry Cavil, Amy Adams, Russel Crowe and Michael Shannon.....Michael "M*****F******" Shannon were AMAZING! Story was rich, acting was superb and lets not even get started with the special effects. Some of the best I've seen to date! Personally, this beats the Dark Knight, Iron Man and pretty much any superhero movie ever made. Do yourself a favor and go buy yourself a ticket to go see this movie. You'll want to watch it over and over and over again! Expand
  26. Jun 18, 2013
    Blew my mind. Over the top Zack Snyder action, good story telling to accompany it. Went into it with high expectations and it still knocked my socks off. It's not perfect, but for a Superman movie it's as close as it gets.
  27. Jun 18, 2013
    I had an amazing time watching it, all the action was far superior than any other movie I have seen, but what critics and some fans are saying that the movie is too "dark" and heavy it's true, but avoiding it would be wrong too, because life, real life, is way darker than that, we all face heavy moments, impossible moments and that's what we have in the movie. What really have trashedI had an amazing time watching it, all the action was far superior than any other movie I have seen, but what critics and some fans are saying that the movie is too "dark" and heavy it's true, but avoiding it would be wrong too, because life, real life, is way darker than that, we all face heavy moments, impossible moments and that's what we have in the movie. What really have trashed superheroes movies is the way most companies have them done for kids. Expand
  28. Jun 18, 2013
    Although Cavill himself proves to be a perfect match for the role, the movie is destroyed by a horrific script, painfully bad camera work, and no understanding of human emotion or logic. DC's live-action movies continue to suffer from a lack of quality and continue their desperate need for a major overhaul.
  29. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Man of Steel is by far the best Superman movie yet. Main selling points for me were: 1. No Kryptonite. I liked seeing Superman having to battle super cosmic forces such as giant interstellar gravity terraforming machines (which were freaking awesome looking btw) 2. You actually got to see more of the alien culture from which the man of steel was spawned. Russel Crow was a kickass superdad. 3. It wasn't a cliche linear film where it starts with superman as a baby to child to teen to adult. It goes from baby to adult then cutting to flashbacks of revelvant-to-the-plot anecdotes. Very well done and will keep you thoroughly entertained. Expand
  30. Jun 18, 2013
    I just saw Man of Steel last night & I was blown away. I got a little sentimental watching Superman back on the big screen, reminded me when I was little watching Christopher Reeve being Superman. So much hype & I was not let down.
    Also this movie really really makes up for Superman Returns which was just an insult & just plain atrocious.
  31. Jun 18, 2013
    30 minutes too long. Battle scenes were repetitive and crushingly boring. Casting was odd. Somber with no humor at all. Superman in the original comics and on TV always had at least some tongue in cheek humor. Worst of all Clark Kent's identity story is distorted from the original comic. Here, goes to work at the Daily Planet at the end of the movie after Lois has found out who he really30 minutes too long. Battle scenes were repetitive and crushingly boring. Casting was odd. Somber with no humor at all. Superman in the original comics and on TV always had at least some tongue in cheek humor. Worst of all Clark Kent's identity story is distorted from the original comic. Here, goes to work at the Daily Planet at the end of the movie after Lois has found out who he really is. Really? Oh, and Jimmy Olsen is AWOL. This movie is another example of Hollywood's current propensity to create spectacle for the sake of creating spectacle and expecting the public to eat it up. Enough already. Try putting some emotion in the story and developing characters we'll care about. This was a real disappointment. Expand
  32. Jun 18, 2013
    Finally a superhero movie with superhero worthy action scenes. I felt like it was taken straight from a comic book. The special effects are perfect and there's a great cast. I would have liked more development of superman;s character, but that is a small complaint compared to the epic fight scenes and solid storytelling. 9/10
  33. Jun 18, 2013
    Man Of Steel is like a fast car accelerating through a fast straight race track while gradually gaining speed as it proceeds Snyder has created a visually spectacular movie with top notch visual effects but not only that he has started a fresh franchise away from the casual norm, l will looking forward to another and another
  34. Jun 18, 2013
    This score is generous and based on entertainment value. DO NOT walk into the theater ready to compare "Man of Steel" to the "Dark Knight" trilogy, because you will only leave disappointed. Having said that, this movie is entertaining. It serves up a massive amount of action, and the special effects are killer. My main issue with the movie was the fact that I never really felt likeThis score is generous and based on entertainment value. DO NOT walk into the theater ready to compare "Man of Steel" to the "Dark Knight" trilogy, because you will only leave disappointed. Having said that, this movie is entertaining. It serves up a massive amount of action, and the special effects are killer. My main issue with the movie was the fact that I never really felt like Superman was being legitimately threatened. The plot issues in every Superman movie are consistent; Superman is literally just better than everything. But hey, at least he is the most humble superhero in modern film. #seeit Expand
  35. Jun 18, 2013
    The first 10 minutes I already had a feeling this movie is going to be bad. Zack put a lot of actions but still doesn't help. The fighting scenes many have said its mind blowing. Like anything never seen before. Those people definitely forgot that Matrix Revolution did the same thing a decade ago.
  36. Jun 18, 2013
    This movie had great special effects, but the plot, the characters, the acting, the rest was all just meh. I don't ever feel like I care about any of the characters. There was no amazing performance by any of the actors to blow someone away like Heath Ledger as The Joker. This was just a summer blockbuster to make money, not a good movie and kickoff of a franchise.
  37. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Cavil não um ator a altura do homem de Aço achei ele pouco frio as vezes robótico, Ele matar o Zod aceitável, não da forma que dizer por ai "mimimi Ele precisou matar pra aprender que nunca mais deve fazer isso", ele não nenhum menininho sem consciência do que faz, fica melhor dizer que ele matou por que não tinha escolha e mesmo assim não um explicação muito boa, Eles destruirão boa parte da cidade, derrubando prédios e explodindo coisas, Superman parecia não se importar nenhum pouco com isso, mas nenhum pouco mesmo, tava nem ai.
    Não curti também o fato dele não ter ajudado o senhor Kent.
    Enfim eu esperava bem mais do filme, passa longe de ser do nível da trilogia Batman do Nolan!
  38. Jun 18, 2013
    Man of Steel is what a Superman movie should be. It has solid acting and a great retelling of Kal-el's origin story that fits this generation. the thing i found most impressive was that it showed a "realistic" effect a character like Superman would impact our world and way of life.This is the first time we've seen Superman's powers portrayed as they should be, how someone who is almostMan of Steel is what a Superman movie should be. It has solid acting and a great retelling of Kal-el's origin story that fits this generation. the thing i found most impressive was that it showed a "realistic" effect a character like Superman would impact our world and way of life.This is the first time we've seen Superman's powers portrayed as they should be, how someone who is almost omnipotent can change the world and not always for the better. some minor plot discrepancies aside this is in my humble opinion the movie of the summer and the best Superman movie to date. Expand
  39. Jun 18, 2013
    I have to say, I thought this movie was awful. Superman had no character. He barely even had any lines. The story flowed without much logic and it made the movie feel like a 3 hour trailer. It felt a lot like a Michael Bay movie, except everyone knows what they're getting with him. Bay makes Bad Boys and Transformers, not exactly high caliber material to begin with. Snyder plays with someI have to say, I thought this movie was awful. Superman had no character. He barely even had any lines. The story flowed without much logic and it made the movie feel like a 3 hour trailer. It felt a lot like a Michael Bay movie, except everyone knows what they're getting with him. Bay makes Bad Boys and Transformers, not exactly high caliber material to begin with. Snyder plays with some pretty important works and just totally blows it. 4/10 Expand
  40. Jun 18, 2013
    I went into the theater with great expectations but what I am left with
    is just pure disappointment. So what went bad Snyder is more
    interested in blowing up things, things he come upon road, sky, etc. than establishing his characters to intimate levels. If people are to see the disintegration of skyscrapers and such, they can always have Michael Bay at their disposal. But why
    I went into the theater with great expectations but what I am left with
    is just pure disappointment. So what went bad Snyder is more
    interested in blowing up things, things he come upon road, sky, etc.
    than establishing his characters to intimate levels. If people are to
    see the disintegration of skyscrapers and such, they can always have
    Michael Bay at their disposal. But why Superman This could have been
    a much better movie with little expansion of Clark's Kansas story and
    limiting the explosions for a few occasions. I tried to see through if
    there's anything more than just detonations but I couldn't possibly do.

There is some serious lack of charm in Cavill's Kal-El and so does in
    Amy Adams' Lois Lane. In occupying the screen presence, only Costner
    seems to pull it off and Crowe in parts here and there. And there's
    this non-linear telling, which should have accounted for some
    fascination, actually back fires. Had the script been filled with some
    take-the-cake cliff-hanger moments, it could have worked. I am a fan of
    superman myself but, in all conscience, I cannot imagine me liking the
    movie despite its flaws, thanks to all the deafening things happening
    in the last hour.

Not entirely soulless though. At least not until when Zimmer is around.
    The living legend with all his might gives this undirected thing a
    background score to rejoice. I cannot believe Nolan is a part of story
    credit. Rest in peace, Superman. and if you are to resurrect, I wish to
    god, let there be some less noise.
  41. Jun 17, 2013
    very entertaining movie with fight scenes that shows how superhumans fight. but something was lacking.
    christian bale was batman, rdjr is iron man... but henry, just wasn't superman enough.

but hey, maybe because its just begun... we did not get to see the clark kent we all know till the end. MUST watch!
  42. Jun 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In all my years I've been waiting for a new superman movie and it finally came. Man of Steel is one of the greatest hero films ever i am very proud of watching the movie it is really a great story line of telling superman how his struggle in the world to become what people really need him to be the savior of earth. I thank you to Zack Snyder, David S. Goyer, and Christopher Nolan who made this film to put DC back in it's place and to bring back the greatest superhero come to life again. Man of Steel is the perfect movie to watch over and over. I also would like to thank the cast members of playing their role in Man of Steel they did a excellent job at being the characters and making this movie happen. What ever critics are saying that man of steel is not a good superman movie they are wrong this movie captured everything including great story details, this is a new generation a new era where superman will once again reign supreme as the greatest superhero on earth and in films. #1 MAN OF STEEL is GREAT
    #DC Nation all the way.
  43. Jun 17, 2013
    The best superhero and action movie ever launched at theaters. With the action,effect, and the epic scene on the big screen. Better than the avengers. Can't wait for the sequel
  44. Jun 17, 2013
    I had doubts about the movie at first. And I was right. It didn't feel like I was watching Superman, but a guy who had his powers. He was a gloomy character and seemed more like a over powered irritated babysitter than a a protector of good. And through out the whole movie all kept saying to myself is why did they do that or why didn't they do this. I guess Nolan and Synder thought thatI had doubts about the movie at first. And I was right. It didn't feel like I was watching Superman, but a guy who had his powers. He was a gloomy character and seemed more like a over powered irritated babysitter than a a protector of good. And through out the whole movie all kept saying to myself is why did they do that or why didn't they do this. I guess Nolan and Synder thought that by adding a ridiculous amount of special effects and destruction that it would carry a movie with a horrible story. But one plus about the movie is that the kid inside me loved it. But I have been a grown-up for a while. Expand
  45. Jun 17, 2013
    Quick Review:

Compared to Dark Knight series, not as good. Plain and simple. Lois Lane is annoying, and if she was not in the movie, the plot would have been exactly the same. One point of the movie Lois Lane's boss is trying to save an intern that the audience has no idea who she is, nor does the audience care for them, and it is just a stupid scene. There are plenty of awesome
    Quick Review:

Compared to Dark Knight series, not as good. Plain and simple.

There are plenty of awesome action scenes in this movie, but if you want to see this movie because of the story, you are going to leave the theater empty handed.
  46. Jun 17, 2013
    In my opinion, the best movie adaptation of Superman's origin story to date. It has some awkward editing moments and the action generally drags on for a little to long, but everything else is so well-done that you HAVE to ignore that 55 rating from the critics. Go out and see it for yourself.
  47. Jun 17, 2013
    An awesome use of special effects to create the best superman movie to date. Along with the almost never ending action the fight scenes in the film are the best I have ever seen in our cinema to date.

48. Jun 17, 2013
    Well... this was... I´m kind of confused here. Going into the theater I had enourmous expectasions for this movie. I was pumped and ready to go into a new emotional take into the famous story of Superman. And what I got was more or less forty five minutes of that and the other hour and a half... well let´s say it didn´t stik with my that well.
    The way the trailers made me expect this
    The way the trailers made me expect this movie was more of a slowly dedicated and emotionaly striking version of the man of steel (especially the third one, damn!). Still the fourth trailer was more focused in action than in story and that´s how saw this movie at the end.
    The beginning of the movie which takes place in the exotic planet of Krypton, (yeah, when I say exotic I mean giant alien rhinos and really got me emotionaly atached to Jor-El (Superman´s dad). It actually pulled on my parents strings! Seeing the planet implode in such a way was breathtaking and kind of harsh!
    Then came the stretch of the movie which I actually feel confused about: The becoming of Superman. From Kal-El beeing sent to earth it immediatly cuts to him all grown up and going. I felt good about this decision, it gave us the feeling of mystery! Then came the flashbacks and these were reeally good! I felt the confusion of Clark and his attachement to his earth parents, the Kents. But then when this ends, (mainly at the reveal of the Fortress of Solitude) I felt that they were going too fast and the buildup lacked something. Then immediatelly Zod shows up! And I was like "Woah! I espected this farther into the movie! I´m not ready!" And then from the first attack on Smallville everything goes crazy! At first I thought the effects where amazing! and the fast paced action was dynamic. But then the scene dragged, and dragged, and dragged. And I felt overwhelmed and kind of bored. I was praying for an break to get into the deeper aspects that the movie had shown us at the beginning! Then it stopped! I was relieved and interested about where it would go from here! And then more action... and more action. I saw that they where going in with those world tearing machines that I saw in the trailer and actually felt worried for the character of Perry running from the destruction! But those scenes dragged even more! The action was spectacular but it lacked substance! Except for one part where Superman can´t destroy the machine across the globe and Perry is trying to save the other chick. That was intense. That was... Nolan! Finally! I found you! And then... guess what!! More empty action sequences... Damn, someone went haywire with the effects. The fight between Zod and Clark began with a good setting of... well ash. It was nice to see something new. That fight I really liked but maaan, content pleease! Then the movie ends and Clark goes to work at the Daily Planet and and yeah, the second half of the movie left me so mind numb that I didnt give a about the ending. Otherwise I would be cheering for that scene.
    An aspect that I want to highlight is the relationship between the Kent mom and Clark. I really felt something in that mother to son relationship.
    Henry Cavil also lacked some emotion. Russel Crowe and the Kevs Costner were pretty good and inspiring in their roles.
    To summarize my experience I cried more in the trailer than in the movie. That beeing said, it was not BAD! I only expected something greater.
  49. Jun 17, 2013
    As a long time Superman fan I had great hopes and expectations for this film. I was very disappointed with this film. Superman: The Man of Steel is NOT a good Superman film; it's not even a good movie. I could go on and write a short story length review of this film and list what's wrong with it but instead I'll just get to the main points. First, Zack Snyder was a poor choice forAs a long time Superman fan I had great hopes and expectations for this film. I was very disappointed with this film. Superman: The Man of Steel is NOT a good Superman film; it's not even a good movie. I could go on and write a short story length review of this film and list what's wrong with it but instead I'll just get to the main points. First, Zack Snyder was a poor choice for director (where is Richard Donner when you need him?). He is NOT the right director for the character of Superman. He was great for Watchman but Superman is not anything like WATCHMEN. Second, the score was AWFUL! There are no discernible themes for anything in this movie. Thirdly, the action scenes were WAY over the top and just ridiculous. This movie was so bad it makes Superman Returns look like a classic and Superman:The Movie look like the best movie of human history (which it almost is!). Bottom line: don't waste you time on this piece of cinematic garbage. Especially if you are a fan of Superman. You WILL be disappointed. I only hope this movie fails to meet the studio's expectations so we don't see anymore of these abominations!! Expand
  50. Jun 17, 2013
    Lengthy, slow and toiling at the beginning the movie retells the Superman origin unnecessarily. Once the lead actually becomes Superman the movie picks up some steam, but by then I had already given up hope for being engaged. Further, this is a bleak, dark film which does not suit Superman thematically. The character is best used when he creates hope, justice and honesty. A reflection ofLengthy, slow and toiling at the beginning the movie retells the Superman origin unnecessarily. Once the lead actually becomes Superman the movie picks up some steam, but by then I had already given up hope for being engaged. Further, this is a bleak, dark film which does not suit Superman thematically. The character is best used when he creates hope, justice and honesty. A reflection of the best ideals on humanity. While they took a stab at this it comes off as whiny and vacillating as opposed to firm and inspiring. Expand
  51. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel is the perfect Superhero film. Do you come to watch a (SUPERHERO FILM) for Romance or drama? No, you come to see it for action and seeing your favorite Superhero fight super villains. Man of steel gives you just that and does it in epic fashion. It's not to say this movie doesn't have drama or a little bit of romance because it does, It just doesn't dwell on it.

The movie

The movie gives you a little bit of everything, it shows you krypton, which we have never seen before. Don't listen to all the people that talk bad about it, mostly its critics. Its the best Superhero film I have seen as well as the best Superman anything that has ever been created. Superman has always had it hard when it comes to media other than comics, like video games and movies. Do yourself a favor and go see this movie, you won't regret it.
  52. Jun 17, 2013
    Terrible movie. It's more a "War of Worlds" and "Independance Day" than a Superman movie. You see more shooting, close combat, spacebattle and explosions than actually the main character evolving in the story. The medieval appeal of the Krypton doesn't fit at all my view of the home world of Superman. Sure, it was formed by the first movie from the late 70's but flying on dragons isTerrible movie. It's more a "War of Worlds" and "Independance Day" than a Superman movie. You see more shooting, close combat, spacebattle and explosions than actually the main character evolving in the story. The medieval appeal of the Krypton doesn't fit at all my view of the home world of Superman. Sure, it was formed by the first movie from the late 70's but flying on dragons is something I wouldn't expect from Superman's father. It felt a bit like "Game of the thrones". Sure, the special effects are nice but the story suffers a lot. Expand
  53. Jun 17, 2013
    Man Of Steel is emotionally griping, the action scenes are brutal and overall a powerful story, this is not the next dark knight but this film makes it look like marvel is its
  54. Jun 17, 2013
    Amazing film, but if you're looking for another typical, wise cracking superhero film then this is not the one for you. This is a sci-fi film, through and through. It explores first contact.

Those that are critical of a lack of warmth, emotion and humour in the main protagonist, seem to be missing the point. He's an alien! Does he lack humanity? No, but he's been trying to find his path and a sense of belonging for 33 years. It's something I've struggled with in adulthood and I'm from this planet! (Mum,I am from this planet, aren't I? Mum?!?)

All of the characters were well written and well acted. The 2 father figures were particularly impressive. It was good to see Jor El get some serious screen time and back story. Likewise, it was interesting to see more of Krypton than we ever have before. The world and its people became more real than ever. You felt a real sense of the impending doom that would befall their planet and the effect that would have on their (Zod and his followers) "humanity".

There is perhaps one criticism that is being levied at the film by critics that I would regard as fair. The action is intense (which is good), but it could be said (or rather, IS being said) that the action scenes are too long. I accept the point, but we are talking about near indestructible super beings fighting against other near indestructible super beings! However, the amount of action perhaps had the effect of blunting the senses somewhat. But if there was less, would we be suggesting the film was less epic? Perhaps, and it is for that reason that I would not be too critical of seeing such action on screen.

Watch it. Love it. Get excited for a sequel!
  55. Jun 17, 2013
    Los flashbacks que muestran a Crark son mis partes favoritas, el es un alien PERO (es mas humano que algunas personas que existen en el mundo que no tienen corazón, aquí su vida es trágica) Los momentos de Kevin Costner padre e hijo muy emotivos (la escena del tornado es la mas tristona, y muy importante a pesar de que algunos crean que fue una muerte tonta) se te salen las lagrimas. LuegoLos flashbacks que muestran a Crark son mis partes favoritas, el es un alien PERO (es mas humano que algunas personas que existen en el mundo que no tienen corazón, aquí su vida es trágica) Los momentos de Kevin Costner padre e hijo muy emotivos (la escena del tornado es la mas tristona, y muy importante a pesar de que algunos crean que fue una muerte tonta) se te salen las lagrimas. Luego la película me parece un poco larga, pudieron cortar algunas escenas de explosiones como la de ‘terraformar’ (que es algo pesada)…Las batallas entre Kryptonianos son BRUTALES (Zack Snyder of course), nunca lo habíamos visto repartir y recibir golpes de esa forma en el cine live-action, ese ”CRACK!” cuando le rompe el cuello a Zod es supremo! (luego se nota su arrepentimiento, es un momento épico, algo como: “No use mis poderes y deje morir a mi padre, ya es suficiente, ahora el mundo se puede ir a la mierda si no los uso”) La escena final pudieron hacerla mejor, pudieron recortar algunas explosiones casi innecesarias y así darle unos minutos mas (es fugas) ademas la cinta prueba que la serie de tv Smallville es innecesaria ya que en Man of Steel se cuenta la historia de Clark muy claramente y de manera mas emotiva… sales muy satisfecho del cine. 9/10 Expand
  56. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel

Director: Zack Snyder Starring: Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner Runtime/Rated: 2hr. 28min/PG-13 ‘Man of Steel’ was my very first Superman movie I have ever seen. So, how did it far with me? Did I enjoy it? Can it be better then ‘The Dark Knight’ films? Well, let’s get started! The story starts at Superman’s home
    Man of Steel

Director: Zack Snyder

Runtime/Rated: 2hr. 28min/PG-13

The story starts at Superman’s home planet called Krypton, where we’re introduced to Jor-El, (played by a good Russell Crowe). Jor-El is at the council talking to the elder people and mentions that their world is in danger of being destroyed, I don’t know why this is happening, I don’t know if its because they didn’t explain it, or maybe I just didn’t hear it. I don’t know. Then General Zod comes zooming in, (played be Michael Shannon who is one of the main reasons why I some what liked this movie). Zod comes in and starts causing havoc, and saying this planet is DOOMED!! Again, I don’t know why its DOOMED?!? After this encounter with Zod, Jor-El breaks away from him and goes to his son and sends him off to Earth as Krypton is being destroyed. Then for about a good hour of the film we have half ass character development for Clark Kent. It’s told through to many tedious flashbacks and monologue talks from his father and mother (played by Diane Lane and Kevin Costner). Finally, after sitting their an hour of painful and dull acting and character development, General Zod comes back to save the day! From here, the story kicks back up again and Zod wants to transform Earth into the next Krypton.

One of the main reasons why I didn’t love this movie is the poor character development. Using Flashbacks as a tool to show development for Clark Kent didn’t work for me. When you first see Kent, he’s already a man, so the film jumped their story about 25 years later after the events on Krypton. Then the movie takes you back years later for when he’s a kid. That’s the development for Superman FLASHBACKS most of the flashbacks were all the same anyways, Clark saves the day by using his power, then has a long speech with either his father or mother. This happened four times in the movie. Another big problem I had with this film, which is a huge one, is the emotions I did not feel between the characters. The whole relationship between Kent and Lois Lane felt extremely fake, it felt like there was no connection through those two characters. Most of their interactions felt dull and stale this might have felt like this because of the very bland Henry Cavill but even with all of the other relationships between the characters, i still didn’t feel any real emotions. I would say that the only relationship that I connected with was Kevin Costner’s and Henry Cavill’s, which felt very real. The ending also was dull. When Superman takes the first punch of the movie, and I mean first REAL punch, that’s when you feel the most adrenaline pumping through your body, but that fads pretty fast, and by the end of the film you’re more excited for it to end then it to keep playing.

‘Man of Steel’ defiantly has plenty of flaws, but with saying that, I still enjoyed the movie. I loved the visuals and effects, which could very be the best effects I will see this whole year. Most of the action was nice to look at, especially when Superman is whooping everybody’s ass. Like I mentioned before, Michael Shannon had a brilliant performance and stole the show every time he was on screen. The true summary of ‘Man of Steel’ is, “it looks to par, but lacks the emotional depth that it NEEDS to make it stand out then all the other generic action summer blockbusters”. Also, I would like to mention that Zack Snyder has a great visual approach to his movies, but when it comes to story, he’s one of the worst.

To answer the question if i enjoyed my first Superman movie or not, i would say that yeah, i enjoyed a good chunk of the movie, but for the most part was extremely disappointing.

See this movie as a matinee showing.
  57. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel: Best movie of the freakin' year! This movie is incredible! Finally, a great Superman movie! There has never been an actual good live-action Superman movie until now. If you liked those old Christopher Reeve movies or Superman Returns, then I'm sorry, but you know nothing about Superman. In all the Comics and cartoon, Superman always had very Sci-Fi stuff involved with a lotMan of Steel: Best movie of the freakin' year! This movie is incredible! Finally, a great Superman movie! There has never been an actual good live-action Superman movie until now. If you liked those old Christopher Reeve movies or Superman Returns, then I'm sorry, but you know nothing about Superman. In all the Comics and cartoon, Superman always had very Sci-Fi stuff involved with a lot taking place on other planets with different technology and had a lot of action and destruction. None of this awesomeness happened in those older movies. Instead, a bunch of stupid crap happened, like Superman flying around the world to turn back time and him sleeping with Lois, which he would never do. The series should've been rebooted a long time ago, and finally it has been. This movie is just as good of a reboot as, if not better than, Batman Begins, The Incredible Hulk, and The Amazing Spider-Man. This is the first time I actually felt like Superman in a live-action movie was actually super and awesome and actually had a threat that was worthy of him. And this movie had one of the most exciting and shockingly fantastic climaxes to a movie ever. I don't know how people could not love this film. Expand
  58. Jun 17, 2013
    Superhero movies do not get better than this. Can you believe the cast of supporting characters? Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Amy Adams, Lawrence Fishburne, and on and on. Everyone had great performances with solid material to work from. I am a passionate sci-fi and fantasy fan who has never really been into Superman, but this movie just changed it all. Great work, highly recommend.Superhero movies do not get better than this. Can you believe the cast of supporting characters? Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Amy Adams, Lawrence Fishburne, and on and on. Everyone had great performances with solid material to work from. I am a passionate sci-fi and fantasy fan who has never really been into Superman, but this movie just changed it all. Great work, highly recommend. Can't believe the critical reception. Expand
  59. Jun 17, 2013
    Just like any other movie written by Nolan, it will naturally have layers. And any movie directed by Snyder will look spectacular. But if it was edited differently, it might be more pleasing to the fans. Nevertheless, I thought it was fantastic! By far it is the best Superman film yet.
  60. Jun 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. We always wished for a Superman movie that was an epic above all.. Man of Steel is that one. Good script and direction, above all the action is just unbelievable.. this will convince you that Superman is not only much more powerful than any human and that he has an attitude too.. when need arises he can break some necks. Expand
  61. Jun 17, 2013
    When the teaser trailer hit, i was interested. When the full trailer hit, i was really excited. Then i saw the movie, which I was looking forward to as being one of the best of the summer. What a disappointment. The action is boring and overly-long. The plot is only there when it needs to be. The acting is sub-par at points. The writers took the plot from The Matrix, added in some AvengersWhen the teaser trailer hit, i was interested. When the full trailer hit, i was really excited. Then i saw the movie, which I was looking forward to as being one of the best of the summer. What a disappointment. The action is boring and overly-long. The plot is only there when it needs to be. The acting is sub-par at points. The writers took the plot from The Matrix, added in some Avengers action scenes and called it a day. This movie is mediocre at best. Expand
  62. Jun 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fact: This movie is 100 times better than any previous Superman effort.

NON SPOILER REVIEW:

Superman does NOT give the world a roofie like in the Donner films.
    Superman does MORE than just lift stuff like in Brian Singer's 'Superman Returns' in which Supes lifted a plane, a car, a woman, a boat, another plane and a giant rock (in that order).
    Superman DOES make some difficult choices and uses his strength to great effect in some awesome action scenes.

SPOILER TERRITORY:

Favorite bits:
    ~ They show us Krypton. The wildlife and technology. It isn't just lip service. You actually get to spend a good deal of time on Krypton in its final moments.
    ~ The Terrence Malick like vignettes of young Clark's childhood are beautiful. If "Tree of Life" suddenly had a plot and amazing action scenes, you'd have Man of Steel.
    ~ Faora. The way she moves, her brutality. It is awesome to watch on screen.
    ~ Jor-El. Crows part in this movie is much bigger than I was expecting and I really dig his ghostly mentoring of his son.
    ~ Supes: Henry Cavill must have devoured like 7 Hugh Jackmans to bulk up for this role (I hear Chris Nolan had a truckload of extra Jackman's lying around after 'The Prestige'). Cavill is huge. He has hair on his chest. He is a manly guy. An all American farm boy. It's awesome.
    ~ Destruction: The devastation of Metroplis is massive. The "terraform engine" ravages much of the city and when Zod and Superman finally fight, it is amidst the hollow ash covered ruins of massive buildings.
    ~ When Ma Kent's house is destroyed, and her sons future is uncertain, and the whole world is going to hell because of alien invaders, she is found looking through what remains of her home for her photo albums. Amidst all the chaos, those memories of her son were important to her. The director didn't point it out or make a big deal of it, but I found it touching.
    ~ The final Costner vignette got me in the feelers. Maybe because I'm raising two boys, one of which is constantly wearing a read cape, but it got me.

CONCLUSION:

The critics are high as a kite. But not as high as Man of Steel because this movie kicks ass. It is on par with Batman Begins as a setup movie and with a good story and great casting of Luthor or some other Supes villian, there is no reason the next one can't be every bit as good as The Dark Knight.

Cheers. Go see it. Enjoy. Superman is back.
  63. Jun 17, 2013
    the man of steel is the best movie of all the time, including all the marvel movies that are a joke, I recommend this movie because it is very epic, and emocialmente serious. I stole a couple of tears I assure you.
  64. Jun 17, 2013
    What???? Superman is Jesus??? Who would'a thought it Jesus/Superman is a naturalised American bought up in Texas.
    So, let me get this straight, Jesus/Supermans' nemesis is the Super Villain Zod/Bin Laden who is trying to change America by destroying buildings and changing the environment to make it habitable for his Race???
    To add to this heady mix, it seems that Jesus/Superman is a
    To add to this heady mix, it seems that Jesus/Superman is a Superhero by way of Twilight. Bland sexless uninteresting and 2 dimensional, but at least the American Military love Jesus/Superman and he loves them. Which is sweet.
    I would also like to thank the Producers and Studio for letting me know what make of camera I should be buying. The product placement in this movie was better than the Hol(e)y plot line.
    Lois Lanes' character was as fleshed out as a skeleton on a diet, and her relationship with Jesus/Superman was as wet as a wet thing on a wet day in wet land.
    Bad acting
    Overlong tedious and dodgy CGI.
    Apart from that the movie was pretty bad
  65. Jun 17, 2013
    DO NOT LISTEN TO THE CRITICS ON THIS ONE. Clearly the average person loves it, and reviews from most people who have actually read Superman (or even any comic book) are glowing. It is the Superman movie you've always wanted: Shed of the silly Reeve portrayal that kept people from taking him seriously; Containing more action in the first 5 minutes than there was all throughout SupermanDO NOT LISTEN TO THE CRITICS ON THIS ONE. Clearly the average person loves it, and reviews from most people who have actually read Superman (or even any comic book) are glowing. It is the Superman movie you've always wanted: Shed of the silly Reeve portrayal that kept people from taking him seriously; Containing more action in the first 5 minutes than there was all throughout Superman Returns; writing on par with (better, in my opinion because I love Superman more) the incredible scripts found in Nolan's Batman films. Also, Hans Zimmer nailed it again with a score I personally like more than Williams' classic. Go see this movie: It's moving, thrilling, deep, and a spectacle like nothing else you've seen. Expand
  66. Jun 17, 2013
    I did want to give it 10/10 for making Superman cool again. But film has it's issues. And I get it why critics don't like it. This is a movie with such satisfying action scenes, such great score and feel associated with it. Yes, there could have been more character development, and there is a point where action can get a bit boring. But this is a great foundation for a franchise. ZackI did want to give it 10/10 for making Superman cool again. But film has it's issues. And I get it why critics don't like it. This is a movie with such satisfying action scenes, such great score and feel associated with it. Yes, there could have been more character development, and there is a point where action can get a bit boring. But this is a great foundation for a franchise. Zack Snyder made his best movie to date. And, man, I'm telling you, action sequences in this movie are incredible. Among that there is a great origin story that you can believe in and there are great characters in the movie. This is a diamond like no other, just you wait for the next entry in the series. We might get Superman on a Dark Knight level. And I truly believe that this one delivered too. Expand
  67. Jun 17, 2013
    Is a new generation for Superman.Realism does not mean pessimism.Man of Steel is under the sign of Hope.Clark finally discovered who he is and why he is here.He now knows his real name Kal-El. Film that the world needs these days.A unifying symbol for America and for all peoples 10/10
  68. Jun 17, 2013
    Despite what others wanted. I have been waiting for a superman movie that was willing to go darker and violent then its previous attempts. Though this movie was far from perfect it was very enjoyable and truly showed what kind destruction someone of this magnitude can cause.

I find it comical that some critics are upset that its to serious and not loaded with humor like the Avengers. Its a directors vision of how he wants the movie why should be follow suit of previous superman movies. I found a few scenes funny so maybe its just their humor that needs readjusting.

The movie really focuses a lot on Kal-El internal struggles accepting who he is and his powers. This movie shows some emotional depth in the man of steel, we finally get to see how he really struggled and that he truly is not perfect like everyone complains about. Ultimately he is faced with a decision that changes him into the Superman we all know and love.

I went into the movie with very high hopes and this movie did not fail to deliver. Its not going to win an oscar but will keep you glue to the edge of your seats and Superman fans will find it a treat.
  69. Jun 17, 2013
    Overall, despite all the eye rolling ludicrous moments and plot holes, I was entertained by this film. The acting was good across the board, although I wasn't crazy about Michael Shannon's performance as the bad guy, General Zod. Too one note. I also get tired of people beating each other to a pulp only to get back up without a scratch on their body. That is the norm in super heroOverall, despite all the eye rolling ludicrous moments and plot holes, I was entertained by this film. The acting was good across the board, although I wasn't crazy about Michael Shannon's performance as the bad guy, General Zod. Too one note. I also get tired of people beating each other to a pulp only to get back up without a scratch on their body. That is the norm in super hero movies, however. I also felt the movie had one battle too many, and was way too destructive. New York City is decimated in this film. This film is LOUD! The special effects were excellent and the 3D good. Overall, a success, but not great. Expand
  70. Jun 17, 2013
    Man Of Steel is like a mash up of the two early Superman films, but that's not a bad thing. I'm not going to compare this film to the earlier ones other than to say that this one is more serious in tone, but I liked that. There is nothing wrong with some humor in a film, but when there is an apocalyptic event going on, like in this film and Avengers for example, I don't think humor fitsMan Of Steel is like a mash up of the two early Superman films, but that's not a bad thing. I'm not going to compare this film to the earlier ones other than to say that this one is more serious in tone, but I liked that. There is nothing wrong with some humor in a film, but when there is an apocalyptic event going on, like in this film and Avengers for example, I don't think humor fits in too well. With billions of dollars in damage and people surely dieing, I don't know why Iron Man would be cracking jokes, but anyway.
    The story starts out on Krypton of course and this is a vision that is brand new. It was very nicely done and I wish this part of the story was actually longer, but it was still good the way it was. Fast forwarding to Earth, Clark's childhood is told in the form of flashbacks. I didn't mind this aspect either. One thing that did bother me somewhat was when he actually becomes Superman(with the suit and all), this part feels rushed. Unlike on Krypton which I felt could've used more build up, but was ok, this part of the film was quick and to the point. Could've used more development. The Characterization that is being mentioned in other reviews is very well done for Kal-El/Clark. This comes at the expense of some of the other characters just because of the screen time taken up, but I don't think it really takes away from the movie. The sequel can be used for more character build up for the supporting cast. The special effects are very well done and FINALLY do we as fans, get a Superman movie with TONS of action.

The final act has a scene or two that some people may or may not like. I didn't mind them and thought they brought a bit more depth to the movie overall.

This was a great action movie, an even greater Superman movie and a great comic book movie. I look forward to the sequel and maybe if this does well, which does deserve the support of fans and non-fans alike, we can see a Justice League movie or a World's Finest Batman/Superman team up in the future.

8/10 overall.
  71. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel is something I give the benefit of the doubt, why I still prefer the likes of Christopher Reeve flying around with a toothpaste commercial smile in a story reminiscent of Kal-El's innocent upbringings in small town Kansas I was constantly reminding myself in my seat "This is a modernization", but does it hold up to what we expect from a superman story?

Short and personal

Short and personal answer no. I found myself hoping it would take on the form of it's impressive teaser trailer back in 2012, majestic shots, large choir orchestra sounds and heavily inspiring words of wisdom on right and wrong.

What we got was Zack Snyder's best film to date given the talent who was involved i.e Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer respectively, Zack's Filmography is a puzzle to me, he's an extremely talented man in the visual department and I loved the look of all he's previous work regardless of story and some minor casting calls but ultimately none of them manage to carry the weight and depth when tackling something so large on scale such as Superman.

But I wont lie Man of steel looks fantastic, for it's flaws which are many, the spectacle of the movie is in it's destruction scenes be it Krypton or Earth, they outweigh all of what we've seen from Superhero Movies so far. the flying looks spectacular and as stated before Zack manages to bring scope and something much larger to screen then many could envision, even myself with my expectations was still very impressed with the routes they ultimately took and the consequences that follow.

Which brings me to the weight and depth point I mentioned earlier, half the characters are generally not that interesting, big names with small parts who should've had a lot more screen time, I really wanted to see more of Kevin Costner, Laurence Fishburne and hell you make Jimmy Olsen a female called Jenny which I'm all for but she says and does virtually nothing that emphasised her character or the story that mattered at all (I know that the last thing isn't to big a deal because Jimmy is underplayed in all the movie series but it's why I bring up the next point). I found the exposition in this film startling, it goes from one scene to another so fast any interaction from the landscape or human interaction isn't really well executed, like the characters the audience is expected to just go with it, quick explanation, next scene.

What does work is aside from effects is that Henry Cavil makes a welcome change for Superman, though the films ideal was to hit a darker tone such as the recent Batman Trilogy, Batman and Superman are both different for obvious reasons emotionally and ideology, so to see Superman (Cavil) go Batman is new for a superman story, but it just doesn't fit for my personal expectations, that said I did enjoy his performance to an extent and would definitely like to see him play the character again in more familiar superman traits.

Ultimately though Russell Crowe and Michael Shannon steal the show entirely, Crowe's Jor-El gets a lot more screen time than I thought we would see but it's a wonderful performance that comes off more real than just comic book commodity, and with that holy hell Shannon's performance as Zod is so terrifying fierce and soulless to me it rivals that of Heath Ledger.

So after covering both Performance and Visuals how was the story? well that's it there isn't one, one that's particularly memorable anyway. Superman trying to find himself, to an extent does, finds bad guys, puts them down, done the end, typical superhero flair, character motives are basic never bigger than what's explained or seen from the actual characters, so when the visuals are great, acting in some areas solid or flat and overall average story (y'know Zack's trademarks?) why does Man of Steel make the grade?

Because and ultimately it's different, plain and simple not different from the directors standpoint sure but for superman it's both familiar and unfamiliar like a reboot should be. but does that mean it's good? I kind of know the target audience who will really enjoy this movie will be the ones who don't know that much on Superman, trust me I'm no stellar fan yet I've read John Byrne & Grant Morrison serials religiously and watched all the old films regardless how bad the later ones got, am I the only one who thought "Superman Returns" felt way too "Smallville"?

Man of Steel to me got alot of things right and wrong but ultimately it's succeeds in it's mission of Modernizing Superman, I would happily watch it again no doubt and I love the set up for hopeful future instalments but as an introduction to one of America's greatest fictional characters? do yourself a favour and look for the real deal. 7.5 Thanks for Reading.
  72. Jun 17, 2013
    Reviewers need to calm down and stop comparing this to the reeve films, why cant they understand that this is different.People saying its a "Special effects fiasco" are idiots its a Superman movie he flies, shoots lasers out of his eyes, and lifts cars, and fights robots i didn't think the special effects are a great addition in the movie
  73. Jun 17, 2013
    This was one of the best remakes ever made. Man of Steel kept a distance between 78's Superman. Zack did a very good job as a director, and the writers did a great job with the story. The fighting sequences were awesome. This movie felt like a modern reimagination of Superman with new technology. The movie is definetely a summer blockbuster and will hit the billion mark.
    I give Man of
    I give Man of Steel a 10/10...
  74. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel is nothing short of an action epic. This movie has probably the greatest action I've ever seen. People are complaining about the action, but really, do you want another Superman Returns?! This movie has good character development through a series of flashbacks featuring the key moments in Clark's past, that make him the man he is today. This is Superman like we've never seenMan of Steel is nothing short of an action epic. This movie has probably the greatest action I've ever seen. People are complaining about the action, but really, do you want another Superman Returns?! This movie has good character development through a series of flashbacks featuring the key moments in Clark's past, that make him the man he is today. This is Superman like we've never seen him before in a movie, there's no Clark Kent fumbling round the offices of the Daily Planet (I'm sure that will be in the sequel) but instead there is a man on a mission to discover who he really is, where he came from and what his purpose is in life. The opening scene to Man of Steel got me fully invested into the film, the action kicked off straight away and set up the villain for the rest of the film. General Dru Zod is one fantastic villain for the first film in a hopefully long franchise, he was menacing, fierce, but had reason behind his cruel and violent actions. The performances in this film were brilliant. Henry Cavill is the best Superman but on the screen so far, yes I said it, Christopher Reeve was a fun Superman, may he rest in peace, but this Superman is a character you want to root for, to save the world at the end of the movie. Henry Cavill really gave Kal-El depth and emotion, and I hope he stays on as Superman for a long time to come. Russell Crowe as Jor-El, Kal-El's biological father, was a very some very good casting, a big improvement from Marlon Brando. Amy Adams was a good Lois Lane, although I believe they should have saved the Lois and Clark relationship for the sequel, it felt quite rushed in this film, but what women wouldn't fall in love with a flying man who just saved the world. Michael Shannon is a very good General Zod, he is menacing enough for the audience to fear him, but gives the character depth and reason behind his actions, and at some times even makes us sympathize with Zod. Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent gave some great emotional scenes and gave some great lessons to Clark about who he is going to grow up to be. The CGI was fantastic in the movie and the excessive use of it did not take me away from the movie at all. All round I do believe this Superman is the best we've ever had, the performances are great, the score is miraculous, Zack Snyder's direction for this is pleasing and the pacing of the movie is great! You can definitely see Christopher Nolan in parts of this film. David S Goyer's script is fantastic with little hidden gems like Lois' line 'Welcome to the planet' which had me smiling like an idiot. And keep a watchful eye DC fans, for those subtle easter eggs to other villains and characters in the DC universe. Ii am very pleased with Zack Snyder's take on Superman, and I hope he stays on as director for future movies. I only had a few issues with Man of Steel, and believe me they are few. For one, a line that a women soldier says at the end of the film 'I don't know, I just think he's kind of hot'. Seriously, what is that?! There is one scene that should have been changed to a more emotional and character building scene rather than just Superman fighting mechanical tentacles. And the relationship between Lois and Clark should have been saved for the sequel, because as I said before it felt rushed. Overall I think Man of Steel is one fantastic movie, the best of the summer so far, and the best of the year. I'm giving Man of Steel a 4.5/5. Expand
  75. Jun 17, 2013
    Man of Steel serves as a triumphant and bold return after the box office disappointment that was Superman Returns. Henry Cavill is brilliant as Superman. He plays the role with conviction and passion. All of the cast was well picked, and they all fit their roles. This Superman goes farther into Kal-El/Clark Kent's back story. As Krypton's core is collapsing, Jor-El(Russell Crowe) andMan of Steel serves as a triumphant and bold return after the box office disappointment that was Superman Returns. Henry Cavill is brilliant as Superman. He plays the role with conviction and passion. All of the cast was well picked, and they all fit their roles. This Superman goes farther into Kal-El/Clark Kent's back story. As Krypton's core is collapsing, Jor-El(Russell Crowe) and Lara(Ayelet Zurer) have just given birth to the first natural baby in centuries. Unfortunately, the Council of Krypton refuse to stop drilling for resources from the core, and Jor-El and Lara send their son, Kal-El, to Earth so he can live a better life. He lives without being exposed of this information for 33 years, until General Zod(Michael Shannon), the former military leader of Krypton which is now nothing. Now Zod is leading his group into Earth to populate and overthrow the people of Earth. Superman must work to protect the people of Earth from the Kryptonians. The Special Effects in this movie are amazing. The only major complaint which I've also seen with other people is the last scene. It's 45 minutes of mayhem. While I felt it was an epic conclusion to an epic blockbuster, 45 minutes was certainly way too long and upset many people in the audience. Overall, anyone who isn't upset by loud noises should definitely see Man of Steel. Expand
  76. Jun 17, 2013
    I'm a die hard fan of Superman so I might be a little, although it might also make me more critical like I was for Dark Knight Rises, but this was more than i could've hoped for a Superman movie and it kept every major theme I love about him. You need to see this movie not only is this movie amazing, also this is the movie that the whole potential franchise will be based off of, so anywayI'm a die hard fan of Superman so I might be a little, although it might also make me more critical like I was for Dark Knight Rises, but this was more than i could've hoped for a Superman movie and it kept every major theme I love about him. You need to see this movie not only is this movie amazing, also this is the movie that the whole potential franchise will be based off of, so anyway you look at it this is a Must Go! Expand
  77. Jun 17, 2013
    8/10 for a super hero movie 9/10 for a Superman movie. Great origin movie and easily the best Superman movie to date. Visual effects and fighting is amazing story is a bit simple, but it has it's moments. Highly recommend seeing in 3D AVX or some other kind of Digital Projector.
  78. Jun 17, 2013
    I judge movies based on what they promise versus what they deliver. The first MoS trailer and the following trailers promised a deep story centered on Clark and his quest on finding his place in the world to ultimately become the savior of humanity, this is what they were teasing in a nutshell. But instead what we got is a glorified Transformers-like movie: no real characters, no deepI judge movies based on what they promise versus what they deliver. The first MoS trailer and the following trailers promised a deep story centered on Clark and his quest on finding his place in the world to ultimately become the savior of humanity, this is what they were teasing in a nutshell. But instead what we got is a glorified Transformers-like movie: no real characters, no deep story, mostly stuff exploding for half the movie. The screenplay is particularly inept, it tries to cram so many insignificant details (do we absolutely need to know what the codex thingy came from or look like for example...) at the expense of smooth transitions (scenes can literally jump from two people in a room to them standing in the desert), character development (the characters are cardboard cut outs, and no, 3 flashbacks of 5 mins are not enough to actually flesh out a character sorry), and most importantly storytelling: indeed the whole movie is constructed like one giant exposition, you spend most of the time catching up on things that already happened instead of having the story naturally unfold before you, and it's not a particularly interesting or original one at that. So in conclusion, my hat's off to the marketing team, because they did a hell of a job hyping up this movie and making it look like something worthy of interest, I just wish the actual filmmakers could have been as competent as them. Expand
  79. Jun 17, 2013
    Awesooooooooooooooooooooome *_*

This film is just perfect

You could not ask for a better man of steel or to launch the project justice League

I dream since childhood

Snyder makes my dream I love you
  80. Jun 17, 2013
    Esta película es fantástica los efectos especiales son espectaculares la lucha impresionante es genial Snyder.

Muy de la Justice League

Viva Man of Steel
  81. Jun 17, 2013
    If you go in with no expectations, and you can make it past the beginning, the movie is decent. It's not amazing. Three really good fight scenes trying to carry an otherwise boring movie that raises questions to people not familiar with the story in almost two and a half hours isn't helping the case.
  82. Jun 17, 2013
    This is a DragonBall Z Movie become a Real Movie! Deep and meaningful story, it explained why the Superman need to suit up, why the Kryptonite stone will weaken the man of steel. And the last part of the movie is SUPER ACTION PACKED! Just like DBZ come alive! punching through giant building, destruction and lightning speed fighting! One of the best action scene in recent years!
  83. Jun 17, 2013
    Overall a fantastic superhero movie. But a little disappointment that General Zod the powerful enemy of superman dies in a little fight which should be extended for next part and there is disappointment from Henry Cavill's acting although he have a great body which is suitable for Superman but I think Superman Should at least looks like the "Captain America". I think this movie create newOverall a fantastic superhero movie. But a little disappointment that General Zod the powerful enemy of superman dies in a little fight which should be extended for next part and there is disappointment from Henry Cavill's acting although he have a great body which is suitable for Superman but I think Superman Should at least looks like the "Captain America". I think this movie create new standards for action movies. Surely this is a next level of action in any action movie Expand
  84. Jun 17, 2013
    For all those comparing this to Iron Man 3 and saying it 'sucks' compared to it, please take the next train to a standard centre of learning and keep yourself there till you can properly review a film. I'm old enough to have seen the original TV series that had Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher, all the Superman films and the spin off Smallville. I'm telling you, this blows them all out of theFor all those comparing this to Iron Man 3 and saying it 'sucks' compared to it, please take the next train to a standard centre of learning and keep yourself there till you can properly review a film. I'm old enough to have seen the original TV series that had Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher, all the Superman films and the spin off Smallville. I'm telling you, this blows them all out of the water. The acting is top notch, the music even more so, the special effects so well done that you wouldn't be able to spot in a fault in a single bloody pixel. I loved it, and everyone I saw it with loved it too. As far as i'm concerned as this was a story in a movie, which would be no mean feat to achieve, and made the whole production that much better. Expand
  85. Jun 17, 2013
    “Man of Steel” is a new interpretation of Superman for the modern post “Dark Knight” age of superhero films. The story is more serious and asks the question of “will I be accepted into this world or be feared?” While I like the new take on the Superman origin story and how uniquely it’s told, I found the script to be rather weak. The character moments are scarce, everything feels a bit“Man of Steel” is a new interpretation of Superman for the modern post “Dark Knight” age of superhero films. The story is more serious and asks the question of “will I be accepted into this world or be feared?” While I like the new take on the Superman origin story and how uniquely it’s told, I found the script to be rather weak. The character moments are scarce, everything feels a bit rushed, and the dialogue comes off as super cheesy almost to the point where I was cringing. However, I am a huge fan of how this film is directed. Zack Snyder does an awesome job with what he has. The action sequences are choreographed amazingly, quit possibly the best action all year. Camera work in this film is really well done and the editing is spot on. There are some really inventive shots and the final fight sequence with Zod is riveting.

The actors do a fine job with their characters. However, no one really stands out aside from Henry Cavill as Superman. While he’s no Christopher Reeve, I really like his take on the character. Amy Adams as Lois Lane is decent, but the way the character is written is kind of weak as I never really cared for her and she came off as a bit forced. Michael Shannon is pretty good as Zod, but the character could have used more screen time. Russell Crowe and the rest of the cast is solid and play their roles well.

Visual effects in this film are top-notch. From Kypton to Earth, everything from a visual standpoint is breathtaking. I’ve always been a fan of Zack Snyder’s visual style in film and here he’s put them to great use. The score on the other hand is okay. While it’s great in the film, it’s rather loud and forgettable.

Overall, “Man of Steel” is a solid piece of cinema and it has me pumped for more Superman movies as well as a potential Justice League film. However, it does fall short in the story department. I felt like I was going from one ride to the next without having a chance to breath. The film has some interesting things to say, but only on a few occasions does it take the time to say it and even then not very clearly. On the bright side though, we get the most action packed Superman movie and quit possibly superhero movie of all time. There’s a lot of fun to be had, but if you’re looking for something deeper and thought provoking this isn’t the place. I give it 3.5/5, weak story that is made better with great action, stunning visual effects, and fantastic direction.
  86. Jun 17, 2013
    As expected from the duo of Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder..this was an amazing piece of movie making talent...the actors did their job well...David S. Goyer's work on screenplay was seen by all...and adds a lot to the totality of this movie's presentability...The makers have to be given the credit for presenting Superman in the way it should always 've been...A big thumbs up for noAs expected from the duo of Christopher Nolan and Zack Snyder..this was an amazing piece of movie making talent...the actors did their job well...David S. Goyer's work on screenplay was seen by all...and adds a lot to the totality of this movie's presentability...The makers have to be given the credit for presenting Superman in the way it should always 've been...A big thumbs up for no Underwear on pants and just wear a specs to hide ur identity..Man of Steel does complete justice to our Fav superhero..The vision of a person's struggle with his own identity...and what he he finally does..is absolutely stunning & beautiful..though at times it lacked momentum which was dealt with...Those giving -ve reviews...should consider the fact that this was just the first movie of a series...There's a lot more to come....giving a hope for better superhero movies......This movie stand true to the 'S' symbol of hope!! Expand
  87. Jun 17, 2013
    I really like the movie. It kind of let me down though. It was really dark, their was few comedy. The old supermans were not like that. And their was to much mass destruction. Their was more explosions in this film than all the marvel movies combined. Snyder has done 300 and watchmen. And those were just like this. It put me on the edge of my seat more than I can enjoy. I think they wereI really like the movie. It kind of let me down though. It was really dark, their was few comedy. The old supermans were not like that. And their was to much mass destruction. Their was more explosions in this film than all the marvel movies combined. Snyder has done 300 and watchmen. And those were just like this. It put me on the edge of my seat more than I can enjoy. I think they were trying to be to original. Their also wasn't enough interaction between lois and clark. One second he is saving her and the next they are kissing. It was to rushed. I wasnt to big of a fan of the shaky camera thing that he did. All in all. Casting for everyone was perfect. Story was great. I just really wish that Zack Snyder didn't do this movie. This movie had so much potential. But he I truly believe is the reason this movie doesn't have a metacritic score higher than 60 Expand
  88. Jun 16, 2013
    Action was superb and the effects were as good as any I've seen, if not better. A small concern though is the lack of thought concerning all the damage done by the fight. Superman cares about that sort of thing and it wasn't highlighted too much in this film.
  89. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overall "Man of Steel" is very entertaining and does a good job encompassing the "Superman" we all know today. However I did have my qualms detailed below (in no particular order).
    Cons:

1. The beginning of the movie was very non-linear with flashbacks and present time, making it mildly difficult to draw connections from Clark Kent's past to his present day situations.

2. Understanding the meaning of a sacrifice from Jonathon Kent to protect Clark's secret was extremely clear, however it was tactfully done to save a dog? I would have been much more satisfied to see the man that bestowed all of his values and ideals to superman die trying to save a human being.

3. When Clark first boarded Zod's ship with Lois, he underwent some type of reaction to the atmosphere in the ship, later referred to as Krypton's atmosphere. Zod goes on to explain to Clark that it is an adverse reaction since Clark has become so acclimated to Earth's atmosphere he cannot sustain his strength in Krypton's. This makes perfect sense, but since Zod made it clear that it was Clark's acclimatization to Earth's atmosphere that was causing his weakness, then why is Clark able to sustain life in space without any problems when space clearly is not composed of the same atmosphere as Earth?

4. Way to much destruction and explosion. Was this a Michael Bay film or a Zack Snyder film. Metropolis, which was not established early enough as the city being pictured, is now completely destroyed. Clark Kent, the ultra-moral and ethical Superman, seemed to have no hesitation or apprehension in destroying anything in his path to fighting Zod. i.e. when Zod threatens Martha Kent, instead of fighting Zod in the open acreage of a farm, Clark sees it fit to carry Zod into urban territory, through a party store, gas station, and into an oil tanker causing tons of destruction and probably multiple injuries or deaths. The Superman I usually picture in my head would most likely deal with his enemies in the least destructive way, with minimal casualties and damage to surrounding structures.

5. Cheesy Dialogue, “Sorry Sir, but I just think he’s kinda hot” Was that really necessary? Everyone watching the movie has eyes and can see for themselves that Henry Cavill is a good looking guy. There were multiple lines like this including Lawrence Fishburne telling his Co-worker to stay while she is pinned under hundreds of pounds of concrete rubble. It was also somewhat off-putting that the Kryptonians had identical dialects/dialogues to humans. These seemingly extremely advanced race from 100,000 years ago talks the exact same way that humans do in the 21st century?

6. At the end of the movie when it flashes back to Clark as a child and his father watching him play with his dog, it is probably confirming the foreshadowing of Clark’s father’s repetitive notion towards the prophetic idea that Clark is destined for great things. But why is he playing with a red towel attached to his back like a cape? Who the hell is he imitating? I assume it’s little red riding hood, because I know when I did that same thing when I was a kid, I was imitating Superman.

7. Zod’s character progressively develops into an evil Superman like nemesis that sports the same powers as Superman and yet Superman cannot be killed and Zod is killed? If I snap Clark Kent’s neck her should die?

Pros:

1. Very entertaining and a lot of back story information for those not exceptionally versed in DC comics like myself.

2. Great ending with Clark Kent killing Zod, effectively illustrating his biological father’s dream for him come true. The bridging of two people. Clark exercised his gift of free choice in killing Zod given to him by his father, and reaped to moral consequences on his conscience after doing it, the result of a human upbringing on earth. Jor-El’s vision of Kal-el being the bridge of two people becomes literal as he is ultimately a bridge of two people in Kal-El and Clark Kent. As well as in his system of beliefs and biological makeup, housing the DNA of a billion Kryptonic people.
  90. Jun 16, 2013
    This movie wasn't bad, but wasn't great. It definitely doesn't rise to the level of Nolan's Batman trilogy, but it does return Superman back to the upper echelon of superhero franchises (we can officially forget Superman Returns).

With that said, there were many moments that the movie got painfully slow. The dialog and plot movement lacked a spark that the Iron Man series possesses, and simultaneously lacked the "take me serious" edge that Batman Begins and The Dark Knight clearly held. It's not either of those, but it is more enjoyable (and even more plausible) than The Dark Knight Rises.

The movie rates a solid 7, however, because the action sequences and creative elements take Superman in a new direction. This is not a remake of Salkind Superman series from the 70s. It definitely transforms itself into a legitimate 21st century film approach of porting a comic book.

My hope is that with the sequel (and we know there will be one), that we avoid the Transformer-esque "destroy everything" and get back to some of the fun, humor, and ride that has always made Superman so fun. I never thought I'd say this, but I kind of missed Lex Luthor.
  91. Jun 16, 2013
    Strength: Visual Effects
    Weak: Kyptonian Society Premises.
    Strength: Visual Effects
    Weak: Kyptonian Society Premises.

The has the best Kypton Myth and i concur but it could have been better if the script writers made kept closer adherence to the concepts of Plato, which would have made the Kyptonian Society much more viable. Instead, we have Russel Crowe mouthing haphazardly a single line, without justification, about the demerits of Krypton, like a sales person brushing off claims of excellence of his rival's products, and Superman, with visible lack of compunction, ripping apart Krypton's solution to the questions asked by all intelligent being about existence (the Genesis chamber ship) with his EYES (who can blame him? It is unlikely for twelve-year olds to be able to read beyond Plato's words). Anyone with a smattering of understanding about Plato's thoughts would have winced and railed at such scenes.

Of course, it is the intention of the script writers to pitch freedom against societal pre-destination, with Superman, bastion of freedom, choosing to do Good and besting the best warrior of the totalitarian Krytonian society, who did 'Evil' in his attempts to fulfill his purpose of protecting his people.

In the end, General Zod's death speech bespeaks a grander character in the man than in that of an alien in tights parroting about freedom and choice, as he is brought up to do.
  92. Jun 16, 2013
    While I'd hoped for an intro to an outstanding trilogy to die for which director Christopher Nolan succeeded to do in his making of "The Dark Knight" Trilogy, I got in return a 143 minute movie that contained 60 minutes of origin story, 60 minutes of a plot outline, 20 lousy minutes of fighting, and 3 minutes of Clark Kent's future life as the lover of Lois Lane and a citizen ofWhile I'd hoped for an intro to an outstanding trilogy to die for which director Christopher Nolan succeeded to do in his making of "The Dark Knight" Trilogy, I got in return a 143 minute movie that contained 60 minutes of origin story, 60 minutes of a plot outline, 20 lousy minutes of fighting, and 3 minutes of Clark Kent's future life as the lover of Lois Lane and a citizen of Metropolis. All in all, I would say to wait for the movie to come out on DVD if you do however have interest of even seeing the movie at all. Expand
  93. Jun 16, 2013
    I REALLY enjoyed this movie. I didn't find it too "serious" or lacking humor the way film critics did, as I felt that fit the story. I think my few gripes and why I didn't give it a 10 are simply with the direction of storytelling following the transition to Earth. I feel like the flashback approach felt way too choppy and unnecessary. I feel it could have all been settled with evenI REALLY enjoyed this movie. I didn't find it too "serious" or lacking humor the way film critics did, as I felt that fit the story. I think my few gripes and why I didn't give it a 10 are simply with the direction of storytelling following the transition to Earth. I feel like the flashback approach felt way too choppy and unnecessary. I feel it could have all been settled with even one simple flashback upon him in the water that lead to coming back out after, minus the end scenes with his father that could have then been brought about in a "finalizing" flashback after. Also, him finding the ship, due to the choppiness, felt extremely rushed and out of place. I'm hoping for and extended cut that gives slightly more story there and transition. Also, while it was necessary for the current story, Lois Lang's story felt arbitrary overall, with her almost put into scenes and events by the "hand of God". She didn't get time to really be her OWN character, instead more there ONLY to develop Clark. Those minor gripes aside, the rest of the story-telling was, especially everything related to Krypton, Zod, and the interaction and plot there-in was stellar! Expand
  94. IMR
    Jun 16, 2013
    one of the best movies of this and all times, it is difficult to make a superhero movie that has serious tone and not just romp and jokes. It shows the human side of Kar-El, in trying to be just one of us, but his fate will prepare something bigger "The ultimate hero of humanity".

It shows a Clark who suffer the consequences of being different, their emotions, their feelings. Facing decisions between who he is or who he should be.

The cast was amazing, everything fit to perfection: Henry Cavill, Michael Shannon, Russell Crowe, Amy Adams, Antje Traue, Kevin Costner, Laurence Fishburne ..

The music is beautiful and powerful

Indisputably 10/10 Movie
  95. Jun 16, 2013
    This film was everything I expected out of a Director-Writer combo like this, that is Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan, respectively. In my deepest opinion, I believe the writer/director team can make or break a film as easy as a twig as far as audience satisfaction is concerned. Well, they definitely showed up for this film, and supported a beloved superhero no less. This film wasThis film was everything I expected out of a Director-Writer combo like this, that is Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan, respectively. In my deepest opinion, I believe the writer/director team can make or break a film as easy as a twig as far as audience satisfaction is concerned. Well, they definitely showed up for this film, and supported a beloved superhero no less. This film was more "realistic" approach to Superman's origin. It covered the short demise of Krypton, and was just enough screen time to understand why it happened, and for Superman's transit to Earth via Krypton.

To make a great story short, this movie is loaded with tons of action, great acting, and great replay value. You won't be disappointed.
  96. Jun 16, 2013
    The movie was perfect. The music fit the action and themes in every scene, I didn't find any of the dialogue to be cheesy and over the top and the action was believable and what you would expect from a superman movie. It was like one of the DC animated movies brought to live action.

The visuals were honestly flawless because even though the action was fast paced the camera kept you in it with pinpoint accuracy. The Plot was perfect for an introductory type film. You know what I mean like Batman Begins, Green Lantern, Thor etc. they had to introduce the character in a way that would appeal to a broad audience and they did it perfectly.

The action was absolute SUPERMAN! I mean the only movie I could compare the "action" to is the Hulk and it outpaced that by leaps and bounds, watching this you truly felt like you were witnessing a battle between gods! This is the modern up to date remake we were all waiting for. Go out and support the movie because we need more DC movies on the big screen and that's where it starts.
  97. Jun 16, 2013
    Man of steel doesn't need the typical introduction that I usually give a film, because this is just a retelling of the original tale. Although the main difference is the villain; who is General Zod, and is told in a different way. I was excited for this movie for a while, but when the trailers started showing up; especially the: "How does Superman shave?", I started loosing interest.Man of steel doesn't need the typical introduction that I usually give a film, because this is just a retelling of the original tale. Although the main difference is the villain; who is General Zod, and is told in a different way. I was excited for this movie for a while, but when the trailers started showing up; especially the: "How does Superman shave?", I started loosing interest. Seeing in how it looked like it was more focused on visuals than stories, and I wasn't too far off. With that said, this is pretty epic. Of course the visual effects are very pretty to look at, the planet Krypton is both mystic and futuristic. However the effects for the action scenes are the major problems. For a while I enjoyed watching them, but after seeing over a half an hour of superman punching people and them punching back, it gets really old and doesn't look convincing. Mainly the chick that hangs around Zod the most does this sort of super dash, which is annoying. Speaking of Superman, the actor they got was ok. He doesn't do anything that makes him likeable; I'd better explain myself before I get hated. I know he saves people which make him instantly likeable, but he doesn't have a interesting personality. Sure he protects people, but when he's not he is just sort of this serious boring guy. The other actors however were better; in my opinion, especially the guy they got for General Zod. It's a good performance; he does take some traits from the original: Terence Stamp, the character is a bit different though, but for the better I thought. It is strange in how I think they shouldn't have changed Superman's personality and yet changing Zod's is good, but at least here it makes him into an understandable villain. He was raised to be a warrior by the Kyptonian way, and is now protecting the future of the Kryptonian race. Also it's funny that Russel Crowe is like Marlon Brando from the original, in that there big stars only in minor parts, and he does okay. He doesn't take up the scene, but he does have this wise man routine down pretty well. The other supporting cast like Lois are fine; in that she doesn't male any negative impressions, but nothing great. With all that said, I still enjoyed watching this movie. I like the action at certain parts, the drama is good and is even great at times, and the actors do an okay job overall. This is definitely worth your money. Expand
  98. Jun 16, 2013
    I rewatched superman returns and i gave it another try..i have to admit i was tired when i first tried it..its not the terrible mess its portrayed as...
  99. Jun 16, 2013
    Finally the Superman movie I have been waiting for my whole life. People who rated this low where hoping to find something that just doesn't need to be exist in order for this movie to please. You will never be able to enjoy the older superman movies after watching this. Literally the most amazing super hero fight scenes in cinema to-date! it makes the avengers final battle look like aFinally the Superman movie I have been waiting for my whole life. People who rated this low where hoping to find something that just doesn't need to be exist in order for this movie to please. You will never be able to enjoy the older superman movies after watching this. Literally the most amazing super hero fight scenes in cinema to-date! it makes the avengers final battle look like a school yard fight in comparison. Expand
  100. Jun 16, 2013
    Poorly paced, poorly directed mess of a film. Snyder was a bad choice for this. The CGI battle scenes were gratuitous and unnecessarily long, the Clark/Lois Lane romance felt forced and rushed, and Snyder's use of the shaky-cam was distracting and silly. If you want to watch Superman fly around and punch people into buildings without any care or consequence to anyone, you're in for aPoorly paced, poorly directed mess of a film. Snyder was a bad choice for this. The CGI battle scenes were gratuitous and unnecessarily long, the Clark/Lois Lane romance felt forced and rushed, and Snyder's use of the shaky-cam was distracting and silly. If you want to watch Superman fly around and punch people into buildings without any care or consequence to anyone, you're in for a treat. Otherwise, wait till DVD/Blu Ray. Oh, and please see it in 2D, 3D is not worth the extra cost for this. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Glen Weldon
    Jun 14, 2013
    What it fails to supply much of — surprisingly, it must be said — is fun. This is serious business, Snyder seems always to be saying. This is badass. And given the sheer logistical size of the spectacle on display, it's a position that's hard to argue with.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Jun 14, 2013
    The most striking and curious aspect of Man of Steel is the way it minimizes and even shuts out women.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 13, 2013
    David Goyer, who wrote the script for Man of Steel from a story he concocted with Christopher Nolan, found a new way to make us care: The title character is disturbed by everything in his adopted home.