7.8

1. PHL
    Sep 16, 2010
    I agree with Rex Reed. This is a masterpiece. I do not believe the audience is being manipulated. After all, this is based on a true story. It's a moving story and depicts the triumph of art, freedom and knowing your own heart. Chi Cao is magnificant.
  2. Oct 3, 2010
    This beautiful film is based on true events. A young Chinese boy is selected to be trained as a ballet dancer. He travels to the US as an adult and becomes a star. When he decides he wants to stay here, it ignites an international furor. The performances are all solid and the story (although somewhat predictable) is told with skill and emotion by director Bruce Beresford. NOTE: I actually saw this in Sweden, but had a translator to help with the Chinese parts. Expand
  3. Jun 30, 2011
    I loved this movie, and I don't usually like stories based on true stories. It was definitely a masterpiece and I can't wait to watch it again. I'm not much into ballet but the story was so good that I enjoyed every minute of it. I even has a tear in my eye at the end of the movie because it touched my heart so much. Must see!

1. Three actors portray the clumsy-but-limber Li in the years of his arduous training, when he is pulled between a teacher who's inspired by Mao and another who's inspired by bootleg videos of Mikhail Baryshnikov.
  2. Reviewed by: Ella Taylor
    Likable as this full-hearted and uplifting movie is, though, I wish that Beresford had not fallen into the familiar trap of dividing Chinese characters into two roles: brutal, ideology-spouting apparatchiki; or parable-spouting, salt-of-the-earth proletarians, the better to show off by contrast the open society of the West.
  3. Noble but dull.