Fox Searchlight Pictures | Release Date: September 30, 2011
7.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 36 Ratings
Watch Now
Friskytiger81Jul 4, 2012
Huge fan of Lonergan's debut, "You Can Count on Me", but this bears little similarity to that in execution. I felt the material was way too over-the-top, like Paquin and Co. were acting for the stage, not the screen. Overlong and overwrought,Huge fan of Lonergan's debut, "You Can Count on Me", but this bears little similarity to that in execution. I felt the material was way too over-the-top, like Paquin and Co. were acting for the stage, not the screen. Overlong and overwrought, it's evidence of the reported years-long fight between Longergan and producers over what cut could be delivered. Regardless of the running-time, if I watched any more, it wouldn't have changed my mind. I love great cinema, but this was closer to a Mexican soap opera written by Noah Baumback and directed by Walt Stillman. Expand
mschoaJun 1, 2012
Superb acting by the principals, especially Anna Paquin. Unlikely scenarios and story, though. The protagonist is not a very likeable character and one has a difficult time identifying with her problems.
CmjirrmooreMay 29, 2013
2h30mns seem quite long but in this case it flows thanks to the unexpected emotional journey the main character goes through from the main event. It felt real and powerful.