6.1

1. HernanM.
    Nov 15, 2007
    Amazing!... Leigh is terrific!
  2. AnaMorales
    Dec 5, 2007
    Congrats to Baumbach who is not afraid of creating characters that are not nice to see, but totally real and brilliantly performed by this, without exception, excellent cast.
  3. DWilly
    Jan 1, 2008
    This is a wickedly funny and intelligent movie and Nicole Kidman delivers: specific, imaginative and brave (fully using herself without commenting at all on a despicable character to indicate she's not like that). Hers is by far the best leading actress performance of the year, but then that has very little to do with who gets recognized for awards, does it? It's not a perfect This is a wickedly funny and intelligent movie and Nicole Kidman delivers: specific, imaginative and brave (fully using herself without commenting at all on a despicable character to indicate she's not like that). Hers is by far the best leading actress performance of the year, but then that has very little to do with who gets recognized for awards, does it? It's not a perfect film, Jack Black can be funny I suppose, but he's not a real actor and there's no reason Jenifer Jason Leigh (very solid, very intimate) would be with him (Mark Ruffalo where were you?). This Noah Baumbach really has got something going for him. Expand
  4. ChadS.
    Jan 4, 2008
    Since "Margot at the Wedding" denies its audience any childhood flashbacks, meeting mom might provide some illumination on the fractured relationship between both sisters, but we never get to meet her; the matriarch of a severely dysfunctional family, because Margot(Nicole Kidman) runs away with her son Claude(Zane Pais). "Margot at the Wedding" is seemingly photographed through the prism Since "Margot at the Wedding" denies its audience any childhood flashbacks, meeting mom might provide some illumination on the fractured relationship between both sisters, but we never get to meet her; the matriarch of a severely dysfunctional family, because Margot(Nicole Kidman) runs away with her son Claude(Zane Pais). "Margot at the Wedding" is seemingly photographed through the prism of Margot's writerly mind. Sometimes the sun is out, but nobody feels its warmth. Margot's emotional baggage acts like an eclipse. Her life and art are too intertwined. Margot confuses her family with their fictionalized counterparts and stares them down with the same cold eye of objectivity. Margot is in dire need of an editor to discourage her word choice as a mother when speaking to Claude. She brutalizes him with honesty that will inevitably cut his heart out. After all, a writer's words are precise like a Ginzu knife. It's already too late for Pauline(Jennifer Jason Leigh), Margot's first victim, and certainly not her last. Like "The Squid and the Whale", this filmmaker depicts self-love. As Margot pleasures herself, it's clear that the intent isn't born out of eroticism. The act itself is a metaphor for the love/hate relationship Margot negotiates with her mind; a self-perpetuating cycle of self-absorption and release. "Margot at the Wedding" is not entertaining in the traditional sense of the word, but you can't take your eyes off this Dogma(the movement founded by Danish filmmaker Lars Von Trier)-like presentation of human wreckage in the countryside, served on a silver platter for Margot's abstract consumption. Expand
  5. JackT.
    Nov 16, 2007
    Nicole Kidman is sensational here.
  6. Swivelchair
    Dec 9, 2007
    Is it me? Am I giving this writer/director too much credit? This film reminds me of "The Hoax" -- the one with Richard Gere, playing Clifford Irving. Some people get it, some don't. The marketing of this movie, imo, was misleading. I didn't think it was at all funny. It was a car wreck you can't turn away from. If the purpose of a movie is to evoke the emotion of the Is it me? Am I giving this writer/director too much credit? This film reminds me of "The Hoax" -- the one with Richard Gere, playing Clifford Irving. Some people get it, some don't. The marketing of this movie, imo, was misleading. I didn't think it was at all funny. It was a car wreck you can't turn away from. If the purpose of a movie is to evoke the emotion of the audience, this one evoked it in me. It totally creeped me out. I agree with all the other reviews. The people are hideous and there is no action and no comic relief, really. The real action is understanding the fully terrifying psyches of the protagonist, Margot (Nicole Kidman). Nicole Kidman was amazing -- and I thought Richard Gere was amazing in "Hoax" -- as someone with a psychological disturbance who is clearly "up a tree" so to speak. The other actors were great, especially the son. Am I the only one who got the allusions? A reference to self-gratification: Margot has sex with herself, of course. In what I thought was the most painful scene in the movie, the son, who tries to win his mother's love by satisfying her needs for adoration, almost says he was thinking about her in his self-gratification. She brushes it off without a thought, despite her progressive "spousification" of him. Where there is empathy -- by Margot's husband saving a dog hit by a car -- Margot blooms into full-flowered contempt. In Nicole Kidman, we can't tell the imperceptible shift -- is the contempt for others or for herself or does she not even know herself? The dysfunction goes way deeper, imo, than just the dialogue. I'm not even in film school. Why is this movie panned? This was pretty amazing acting. Or was it acting? There isn't a sympathetic protagonist anywhere, except maybe the dog. Jack Black was perfect for this role -- a guy who knows when the gig is up, and admits he's a loser. At least he's honest. I can't say he was acting. So is this good acting? I don't know. The sociopaths next door are at least open about their proactive aggression. The tragedy, of course, are the innocents. This happens all the time. I wonder what will happen to these little souls, who have been touched by evil. I hope they grow up and make movies. Expand
  7. Orlando
    Feb 11, 2008
    Fearless acting, superbly written and excellent directing in this outstanding film about family interactions, parenting, and the natures of family loving.
  8. BrettR
    Feb 25, 2008
    Nicole Kidman is back in a big way with fantastic choices and Jennifer Jason Leigh is an amazing compliment to her playing her sister. I found the writing fascinating, though I found the subplot of "coming of age" of Kidman's son a little tired.
  9. DrewW.
    Nov 15, 2007
    Nicole Kidman gives one of her best performances of her career as the title character Margot.
    Nov 16, 2007
    Excellent Nicole is brilliant.
  11. DeborahL
    Nov 22, 2007
    Fascinating but ultimately dissatisfying. For once Jack Black delivers a restrained performance that is actually touching. Somehow felt like an O'Neill play: over the top dysfunctionality, only with a family that is all too aware of how, uh, interesting they are.
  12. JasonF.
    Feb 27, 2008
    Baumbach's has an incredible gift of giving genuine life to characters, their flaws glaring and painful even as you fall in love them.
  13. yoriD
    Dec 15, 2007
    This is not a mainstream movie and I'm glad. No happy endings. A chapter in people's lives. Funny,sad,disturbing,everything....just raw. Nicole Kidman just disappeared in her role. If you like "Squid..." don't see why you wouldn't this one... Loooooooooooved it.
  14. ElliotC
    Dec 16, 2007
    Only philistines would not like this movie

1. Margot at the Wedding doesn’t develop; it just skips from one squirmy scene to the next.
  2. Noah Baumbach has followed up his acclaimed 2005 breakthrough "The Squid and the Whale" with another wryly observed, giddily cringe-inducing, bracingly original winner.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This study of a disastrous reunion of two sisters feels more like a collection of arresting scenes than a fully conceived and developed drama.