7.6

1. Jul 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A great contemporary cinema adaption for "Crime and Punishment" in which crime is justifiable for social ascension and not for the harm an old usurer does to society. Expand
  2. Feb 24, 2015
    This is one of my favorite movie ever. It's a very smart plot (normal for Woody), about a ambicious and smart tennis player, who uses his interest in high culture to penetrate the upper class. Chris is completely amoral. He just coldly calculates the probability of success. Woody plays well with the theme of luck (which is common in his movies), including two interesting scenes, one at theThis is one of my favorite movie ever. It's a very smart plot (normal for Woody), about a ambicious and smart tennis player, who uses his interest in high culture to penetrate the upper class. Chris is completely amoral. He just coldly calculates the probability of success. Woody plays well with the theme of luck (which is common in his movies), including two interesting scenes, one at the begginning, with a tennis ball touching the net and luck defining in which side of the court it is going to fall, and another one at the end that makes you anticipate, wrongly, the end of the movie. Scarlett is gorgeous. Myers delivered a good performance. The movie oscilates a lot in its plot, as luck is seemingly defining the path the characters take, and the end tends to be not what you expected (unless you know Allen well). It is philosophical, entertaining, full of suspense and sexy. A masterpiece in my opinion. Dostoevsky would be proud, despite the alternative, nietzschean ending. Expand
  3. Joan
    Jan 29, 2006
    Woody allen is definitely back. Great film and acting. absorbing.all characters played their roles well!!a real woody allen ending./ we are not always dealt the best of cards!!!
  4. LisaM
    Dec 30, 2005
    It's like night and day from some of his recent films. It's entertaining, brilliant, interesting, and perfectly cast. The reviewers are way underrating this film. Woody-prejudice abounds. But this film is not a Woody Allen film--it's just a really good film....great storytelling, classic and modern with a palpable tension. It's a model film.
  5. PavelM.
    Jan 10, 2006
    The best one I've seen for months.
  6. BillyS.
    Jan 21, 2006
    In tennis, if the ball drops forward - you win, if it drops backwards - you don't. In Woody Allen's new film, it drops forward - Game, Set, Match. I, for one, have never thought Mr. Allens career was ever in a slump. Any film written and directed by Woody Allen has been worthy of my 10 dollar admission, but in Matchpoint, he's left the comedy in Manhattan and moved his In tennis, if the ball drops forward - you win, if it drops backwards - you don't. In Woody Allen's new film, it drops forward - Game, Set, Match. I, for one, have never thought Mr. Allens career was ever in a slump. Any film written and directed by Woody Allen has been worthy of my 10 dollar admission, but in Matchpoint, he's left the comedy in Manhattan and moved his setting to London and once again made a movie that I'll drop another 10 bucks on to see it again! The critics are all saying Woody is back, well he's not back, He has just moved up another rung on his cinematic ladder. Imagine, a New Yorker making movies in London, I seem to remember that it worked for Kubrick too, but we don't have to wait 7 years for the next Woody Allen film!! Yes Virginia, there is a Woody Allen. Expand
  7. GC
    Jan 7, 2006
    An excellent return to the crime & punishment theme Allen first visited in Crimes and Misdemeaners. Here the plot is simplified and laid bare, though with a sinister atmosphere that lurks even in the "happy" corners of the film. The acting is top notch and the denoument works perfectly.
  8. Will
    Jan 7, 2006
    A Must see. All the people that are giving low ratings don't have the brain power, nor the culture to Understand Woody Allen's Genius. I'm still thinking about this movie...truly a great work.
  9. KathleenS.
    Mar 4, 2006
    Provocative and entertaining. Although I don't necessarily agree with director/writer Woody Allen's point of view on matters of fate and morality, I appreciate his ability to ask thought-provoking questions on the nature of life.
  10. RodE.
    Apr 3, 2006
    Much better than average adult movie. Not many out there any more!
  11. Dr.Suess
    Jan 13, 2006
    Any half-way literate person will love this movie. The entire second half or so is a wonderfully done modernization of Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment," with some interesting twists and turns. Actually of the people I know who disliked this film, none of them had read "Crime and Punishment"--so maybe being intelligent makes this film more enjoyable.
  12. DavidA.
    Jan 14, 2006
    Luck has everything to do with it as does sexual passion.
  13. Billy
    Jan 6, 2006
    A truly Awesome film......Great acting....The writing is superb. This is a must see film. If you hate Woody Allen; You'll love him now..
  14. Fantasy
    Jan 6, 2006
    Woody Allen's most brilliant work in many a year. Unlike the ridiculous King Kong, this film had actors with real dialogue and a director with outstanding skills. Although it starts slowly, it builds until it actually grasps its audience in conflict. You find yourself unsure how to resolve the conflict until a desparate act is committed. From this point, you finally realize that in Woody Allen's most brilliant work in many a year. Unlike the ridiculous King Kong, this film had actors with real dialogue and a director with outstanding skills. Although it starts slowly, it builds until it actually grasps its audience in conflict. You find yourself unsure how to resolve the conflict until a desparate act is committed. From this point, you finally realize that in life, it doesn't matter how good you truly are? All it takes is a luck and being in the right place at the right time; or sometimes, unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time. Woody Allen dispells the notion that good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people. Luck can be both good and bad. Absolutely thought provoking? Worth the watch if you stay with it. Expand
  15. TomB.
    Jan 6, 2006
    A marvelous, stunning flim. The 3 of us who went the other night still can't stop thinking about it. The casting is perfect, the story sublime. If you appreciate more to film than the latest Vin Diesel vehicle, go see this. It's great.
  16. CongoGongo
    Jan 9, 2006
    Fantastic from start to finish. Excellent film perhaps the best of 2005.
  17. DaveF
    May 14, 2006
    Chilling, intensely fascinating nail-biter. You'll want to watch it again just to pick up on all the nuances. One of those layered classics you can discuss for hours afterward.
  18. Dostoyevsky
    Dec 28, 2005
    Best film of the year, Woody's back!
  19. S.Gold
    Dec 6, 2005
    One of Allen's best, period, not to mention of the top films of the year. Great acting from overall smaller time actors, great dialogue and exciting, best of all it's a movie you'll think about a long time after you see it.
  20. RalphieBoy
    Jan 11, 2006
    Plain old stupid luck explains away all of the plot holes. That is what makes this all so enticing. Why was any of the characters a super genius? Of course not. Just that the family had everything go its way. As for the unlucky American Sexy Beauty, nothing ever went right for her. Wrong place at the wrong time. And that is what life is about. Now do you get it?
  21. Stan
    Jan 11, 2006
    One of the best films of the year. Not for those with IQ of a body temperature, though.
  22. A.McClain
    Jan 1, 2006
    Great film - very sharp and entertaining - highly recommended.
  23. BastianB.
    Jan 15, 2006
    One of my Allen's favorites movies. A suspense and sensuality reflexion on the luck and opportunities. Brilliant!
  24. Chrisf-t
    Jan 21, 2006
    It's very interesting to see the fan reviews for this movie. It seems people either loved or hated this movie. I for one loved it but it's pretty much amazing how many people hated this. WARNING nothing EXPLODES in this movie, if you have ADHD you may need to pop a few ritalins to sit in one place and enjoy this one. The theater I watched it in was completely spellbound. The It's very interesting to see the fan reviews for this movie. It seems people either loved or hated this movie. I for one loved it but it's pretty much amazing how many people hated this. WARNING nothing EXPLODES in this movie, if you have ADHD you may need to pop a few ritalins to sit in one place and enjoy this one. The theater I watched it in was completely spellbound. The rich layers of metaphor and inuendo are probably lost on those giving this a red review. To me this was a better film than any i saw in 2005. This film makes no apologies that its not reality television, and it doesn't need to. Films are stories they are not real life get over it! Expand
  25. DavidZ.
    Jan 22, 2006
    This film was well written and, for the most part, well acted. Don't go to this film expecting the "typical" Woody Allen movie - there's not much in the way of levity. The film was pretty intense, yet engrossing with a somewhat surprising ending.
  26. MikeS.
    Jan 22, 2006
    I guess it's a backhanded compliment (no pun intended) to say that this is best Woody Allen movie he's made in a long time precisely because it's the LEAST Woody Allen-like movie he's made in a long time. But so what? A good movie's a good movie.
  27. JoshC
    Dec 26, 2006
    Allen's best film since "Crimes."
  28. JanY.
    Jan 22, 2006
    It captures, it intrigues; it keeps me in confrontation and in perpectual interaction with the actions and feelings of the characters. Definitely a thought-provoking film that mesmerizes and keeps the audience from falling asleep...
  29. AmberF.
    Jan 23, 2006
    I believe one of the elements of a great film is if it can stimulate strong emotion and conflict in the viewers-regardless of whether that emotion is directed toward the characters in the film, the viewers' own lives, or some larger all-encompassing issue or value. Match Point depicts a number of issues with which viewers can empathize. First, there is the issue of fidelity. Then, I believe one of the elements of a great film is if it can stimulate strong emotion and conflict in the viewers-regardless of whether that emotion is directed toward the characters in the film, the viewers' own lives, or some larger all-encompassing issue or value. Match Point depicts a number of issues with which viewers can empathize. First, there is the issue of fidelity. Then, the question arises of whether one should commit to a relationship that is secure and content but unfulfilled, or one that is full of passion and excitement but doomed to fail. Another prominent theme was the debilatating effects of guilt, which not so subtly mimics "Crime and Punishment" (we see the main character reading this book in the beginning of the film) Quick summary: Set in London, Chris, a penniless tennis instructor is befriended by affluent Tom, who has a cluelessly happy and rich little sister, Chloe. Chloe falls in love with Chris, and Chris devlops an attraction toward Nola, Tom's American girlfriend. I won't give anything else away. It is captivating to watch how the main characters' flaws and vile actions lead to their demise. But somehow, Allen makes you empathize with them as well, producing a provacative, mentally-stimulating film. Expand
  30. AaronB.
    Jan 26, 2006
    The storyline is absolutely brilliant. It really keeps you grasped throughout the entire film. A very good comeback for Woody Allen. I don't usually like his movies, but this was different...It was good.
  31. AurelioS.
    Jan 4, 2006
    Great film.
  32. MauriceR.
    Jan 7, 2006
    Highly entertaining and extremly well done thriller.
  33. EdS.
    Jan 8, 2006
    I went reluctantly, with friends, and was utterly captivated by this blend of film noir and operatic melodrama set in a contemporary near-fantasy world of privilege and raw emotion. Bravo Woody!
  34. AudreyS
    Jan 8, 2006
    Really great.
  35. NickB.
    Feb 10, 2006
    I am surprised to see such mixed reader reviews of this film. I was engaged throughout the story and felt (as I rarely feel) a delicious uncertainty of where the characters were headed. I was delighted at the crispness and realness the dialogue emoted. When Johanssen finally lashes out at Rhys-Meyers, I felt vindicated, and when the crushing ending arrives, I thought Allen provided a I am surprised to see such mixed reader reviews of this film. I was engaged throughout the story and felt (as I rarely feel) a delicious uncertainty of where the characters were headed. I was delighted at the crispness and realness the dialogue emoted. When Johanssen finally lashes out at Rhys-Meyers, I felt vindicated, and when the crushing ending arrives, I thought Allen provided a satisfying conclusion to an otherwise easy to follow yet captivating tale of fate, luck, and constructed destiny. I am a mild fan of Allen's work, but hands down, his decisions to let the camera watch the actors is essential to the success of the film. At times Johanssen lost my immediate attention, but Emily Mortimer was exceptionally consistent in her performance. The entire ensemble proved to be up to the delightfull challenge of Allen's stationary scenes and continual shots of interiors and exteriors. I was engaged, carried, and given a well thought out film. I appreciate it, and thank you Mr. Allen. Expand
  36. CJ
    Feb 26, 2006
    A terrific film that should have you guessing until the very end.
  37. glam
    Feb 3, 2006
    Amazing film! Don't pay attention to negative reviews!
  38. MattAwesome
    Mar 9, 2006
    This movie should NOT be rated R. I looooved it so much, but there is no nudity or language. There is one sex scene that doesnt show anything...a lot less graphic than PG-13 Titanic. There are a bunch of scenes leading up to sex but we never really get there. R! Come on! Amazing film though.
  39. BillJ.
    Apr 29, 2006
    I really enjoyed this movie! Lots of twists & turns. Engendered feelings and emotions like anxiety, disgust and disbelief. Unlike most from Woody Allen, there wasn't any real humor. But like life, sometimes dumb luck and blind justice saves the day.
  40. JonH.
    May 30, 2006
    Nothing is sadder than disparaging a movie because the main character is unsympathetic. How narrow-minded! God forbid a movie actually try to challenge one's notions of primal human desires like greed and lust rather than fall into the same cookie-cutter cliches as most Hollywood movies. If this movie made you feel uncomfortable, guess what? That means you are actually feeling Nothing is sadder than disparaging a movie because the main character is unsympathetic. How narrow-minded! God forbid a movie actually try to challenge one's notions of primal human desires like greed and lust rather than fall into the same cookie-cutter cliches as most Hollywood movies. If this movie made you feel uncomfortable, guess what? That means you are actually feeling feelings and some of us consider that a key to life. If you are not one of those people, just stick to movies like Charlie's Angels and Wedding Crashers and save the sophisticated, thought-provoking, artful, intense, intelligent films for the rest of us. Expand
  41. SusanM.
    Jun 15, 2006
    Easily the best movie I have seen in 2006. It has a great story, excellent acting and it really stays with you, long after the final credits have rolled. Scarlett Johansson and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers are amazing in this film!
  42. AlexT.
    Aug 1, 2006
    This film is just excelent, and scarlet Johannson, just the most beatifull person in all the entire world.
  43. JeremyK.
    Sep 18, 2006
    That I've seen - only Capote and Tristram Shandy were finer films in 2006. Woody Allen has created a riveting story based on the premise that life hangs in the balance -- using the wonderful opening tennis ball suspended in the air above the net metaphor --ultimately of things beyond our control. [***SPOILERS***]A dark commentary on the human soul as the main character -- who is That I've seen - only Capote and Tristram Shandy were finer films in 2006. Woody Allen has created a riveting story based on the premise that life hangs in the balance -- using the wonderful opening tennis ball suspended in the air above the net metaphor --ultimately of things beyond our control. [***SPOILERS***]A dark commentary on the human soul as the main character -- who is aruable noble, not rotten as others surmise -- is corrupted by $$$. Familiar you say ? Yes, but very un-Hollywood. Briliant dialogue and supporting cast --- Allen rivets, inspires and crushes with finality. Brilliant film-making and terrific performances. Expand
  44. LydiaH.
    Feb 9, 2007
    I was enthralled by this movie. The suspense was incredible and all the actors were perfect, as was the wonderful operatic background music. Hurrah for Woody Allen.
  45. AaronM.
    Apr 11, 2007
    This movie draws you in. It works on all its levels - acting, plot, emotion. It proves itself to be sharp and well-crafted. Though I haven't seen many Woody Allen films, if he's had good and bad films, Match Point is definitely among the good.
  46. BruceB.
    Dec 22, 2005
    A must-see for the brilliance of the writing, direction and a cast of superb actors. Ranks with Husbands And Wives, Crimes And Misdemeanors and Manhattan...maybe better. A Hitchcockian take-off that matches the master.
  47. MartinN.
    Jan 16, 2006
    Ingtriguing twist on an age old dilemma, well played, thoroughly Woddy Allen, made me tearfully think about the hardest conversation I ever had with my ex-wife.
  48. J.Bravo
    Jan 16, 2006
    A great surprise from Woody Allen. Of all the terrific movies this year, Munich, Brokeback, Good Night and Good Luck, Capote, Match Point has succeeded where these others have only come very close - and that is accomplishing with great finesse what it sets out to do. All the others stumble on occasion. Not here.
  49. Charles
    Jan 27, 2006
    This is an outstanding movie! I went into this with an open mind and was truly blown away. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was excellent and really had his character down pat. I have seen Brokeback Mountain and Walk the Line and Jonathan holds his own for the Oscar in my opinion. Also, what a walk this guy has, LORD. He is so intense. . . Scarlett Johansson was as sexy and alluring as I have ever This is an outstanding movie! I went into this with an open mind and was truly blown away. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers was excellent and really had his character down pat. I have seen Brokeback Mountain and Walk the Line and Jonathan holds his own for the Oscar in my opinion. Also, what a walk this guy has, LORD. He is so intense. . . Scarlett Johansson was as sexy and alluring as I have ever seen her and she has certainly cemented herself, in my eyes, as one of America's brightest young actresses. She did a very good job, bravo. But I am not going to say this movie was seamless because the dialogue was a bit absurd at times. However, in addition to the acting being very very well done the movie was beautiful. The locations used for shooting were just out of this world. In the end I left the movie totally disturbed by what I had just seen and I am positive that was Woody Allen's goal. I have been thinking about the movie every minute since because there is just so much tension left in my muscles. I find myself rethinking many of the scenes, which will prompt me to rent and/or buy the movie when it goes on sale. To Woody, I think you are as weird as they come, but brilliant at what you do. Cheers for Match Point! Expand
  50. GeorgeS.
    Jan 29, 2006
    Facile comparisons to Patricia Highsmith are offbase (and demeaning to Woody Allen's genius). Highsmith's protagonists are indifferent to evil and enjoy good conscience after their crimes. Not so Chris in Match Point. The key to this movie is that when Nola appears in Chris's night kitchen, Chris is not frightened. So it's not a bad dream, it's a transcendent Facile comparisons to Patricia Highsmith are offbase (and demeaning to Woody Allen's genius). Highsmith's protagonists are indifferent to evil and enjoy good conscience after their crimes. Not so Chris in Match Point. The key to this movie is that when Nola appears in Chris's night kitchen, Chris is not frightened. So it's not a bad dream, it's a transcendent level of reality that owes more to Cocteau than to Hitchcock. Chris is on trial; he defends himself by quoting Sophocles and referring to a larger scheme beyond morality, but Nola tells him to prepare for paying the price, which at this point, because of Allen's marvelous coup de cinema with the wedding ring, we think means the cops will get him. No. The price Chris plays... is to suffer lifelong retribution from his own internal furies. In the movie's last frame, Chris is in hell. Expand
  51. Shsch
    Feb 11, 2006
    Woody Allen constructed this movie about one conceit, that of the net point in tennis. He demonstrates that there must be luck involved which determines if the ball will bounce your way or not. If you boil the movie down to this, you might just see it as a long dark joke with an eventual punchline (call it irony). What I think makes the movie work is that it is played out in an English Woody Allen constructed this movie about one conceit, that of the net point in tennis. He demonstrates that there must be luck involved which determines if the ball will bounce your way or not. If you boil the movie down to this, you might just see it as a long dark joke with an eventual punchline (call it irony). What I think makes the movie work is that it is played out in an English class-based world and it portrays a type of story of greed, lust, and duplicity one might expect to find there. On the whole then, the movie is well crafted and acted. I would say the one weakness is the criminal investigation. It really only makes sense if the crime had taken place 50 years ago when fingerprints were still considered the state of the art technique. I've watched enough TV criminal shows to know that any of the detectives there, including even Monk, should have been able to solve this crime. Perhaps Woody Allen saw the movie originally as a period piece in which case the crime fits in perfectly. On the other hand, if you stick to just the "what is luck?" aspect of the story and not question the detective work, the movie is very effective indeed as a character study where each character is driven by his/her own well-defined motives. Collapse
  52. JaredSS
    Feb 16, 2006
    Absolutely fantastic. Impeccably crafted and superbly written. Hitchcockian pacing works wonders for Woody.
  53. DanC.
    Mar 26, 2006
    One of the best movies I've seen this year. The performances are thrilling. Rarely have I been so involved and so nervous about the twists and turns of an unfolding plot. A masterpiece.
  54. Victor
    Jul 26, 2007
    Great movie!! But people already said that. It's beautiful how a certain thing which is seen at the beginning of the movie turns out to be most important. Yu've got to watch it to understand what I'm talking about.
  55. LadyMarmalade
    Dec 21, 2005
    This is a great movie I recommend to everyone.
  56. Nov 7, 2011
    Match Point has a good balance of character, plot, unexpected surprises, and the substance to the story was handled well. The middle act of the film does start to drag a little but the 3rd act becomes intense and interesting. The actors do a great job with their rolls, I felt as if I knew the characters after the movie.I have thought about this movie a bit over the years, about itsMatch Point has a good balance of character, plot, unexpected surprises, and the substance to the story was handled well. The middle act of the film does start to drag a little but the 3rd act becomes intense and interesting. The actors do a great job with their rolls, I felt as if I knew the characters after the movie.I have thought about this movie a bit over the years, about its horrible protagonist and the events that play out. I find this movie's story and its take on life very interesting. Recommended. Expand
  57. Aug 25, 2014
    With Match Point, Woody Allen is able to prove he has conquer another genre in the world of film: suspense. As always, the film is smart and wholly entertaining. It's about life and luck--Allen has struck gold here. Scarlett Johansson is captivating as Nola Rice.
  58. Jul 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. it's taken me almost 10 years to see this film. i don't know why i waited so long. it's such a great, dark story. to think scarlett johansson was only 19 when it was filmed. don't try to use logic to fill the plot holes. the overarching theme is luck. just keep that in mind and don't go all CSI on the last quarter of the film. Expand
  59. Jul 18, 2014
    I was watching this film on HBO last night (it is now July 2014) and I like this film even better than when I originally saw it in a theater. What I particularly noticed is its tightness -- things happen quickly and inevitably. I also admired again the performance of Jonathan Rhys-Myers who with his slight sneer and silent watchfulness rivals Joseph Cotten in Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt.I was watching this film on HBO last night (it is now July 2014) and I like this film even better than when I originally saw it in a theater. What I particularly noticed is its tightness -- things happen quickly and inevitably. I also admired again the performance of Jonathan Rhys-Myers who with his slight sneer and silent watchfulness rivals Joseph Cotten in Hitchcock's Shadow of a Doubt. Is the business about luck contrived? I am not sure, but I wish Allen would do a sequel. I would guess the JR-M character becomes a ruthless CEO (perhaps the Jeremy Irons character in Margin Call) and as he climbs, has a more willing string of mistresses. And perhaps he finds his father-in-law and he are more alike than we originally think or if not, and his father-in-law is indeed weak and rich by chance, the sky is the limit for JR-M -- until his luck runs out, that is. This is one of Allen's best. Expand

Not only could one argue that this is the best "serious" work the director has ever attempted, but it's presented in a way that even the most seasoned Allen fan will have difficulty recognizing the iconic filmmaker's fingerprints.
  2. Rhys-Meyers and Johansson work well together - they both know how to project glossiness and guile.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    Woody's a master wordsmith, and here he's crafted a bit of audience-friendly fare that's smart without feeling exclusionary. It's a portrait of elite society--and the hangers-on who wish to penetrate it--made in an surprisingly accessible way.