7.7

1. Apr 7, 2013
    An enjoyable film packed full of great performances and interesting characters. Unfortunately Zac Efron, who plays the main character, is a very poor actor and he goes a long way in dragging the film down. If they had cast a better actor in his part this film would have been a lot better.
  2. Aug 24, 2012
    Once again Linklater proves that he can direct anything. This film is charming and entertaining. It works as a period piece, a biopic of orson welles and a coming of age story as well as a drama. Every aspect and genre in the film works extremely well. This film is made with so much skill it is astounding. Christian Mckay blew me away with his subtle nuances as Orson Welles. The only time the film kind of faltered for me was it's climax which is the play itself. Expand
  3. May 5, 2011
    Who had the larger ego, Orson Welles or Julius Caesar? I have heard about the legendary Orson Welles ego and the film â
  4. Apr 1, 2011
    The bone-deep understanding that your life is so utterly without meaning. That simply to survive you have to reinvent yourself. Because if people canâ
  5. Sep 22, 2010
    Yeah yeah, "magic of the theater" and all that. Too much "Me" and not enough "Orson Welles". No offence to Zac Efron (look, I spelled his name right, there's no k in Zac), but.....yeah ok, a little bit of offence to Zac Efron. Not because of his acting, but because I yawned like I had two beers in me.

1. Christian McKay's impersonation of young Orson Welles is sensational in this enjoyable, though slight, historical fiction about a teen who spends a memorable week with the legendary wonder.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    There are moments, especially when Welles is alternating between acting as Brutus and directing everyone else, that it’s possible to forget you’re watching an actor and really believe you’re beholding Orson Welles at work.
    This is a movie of great spirit and considerable charm. It’s about the giddiness of promise--the awakening of young talent, after years of the Depression, to a moment when anything seems possible.