Memento

9.0

1. Jan 15, 2011
    well, this was complex man..great directing and storytelling. nice performance form Pearce, and i surely didn't expect an ending like it. it was genius really. it made me so confusing but i figured it out with the ending. unlike inception. so, a great movie, if you like watching dramas and mysteries then this is the one. OK?
  2. Feb 2, 2011
    This is a movie with a "twist" but it doesn't put one in just to have a twist ... it's a part of the whole story, and somehow makes the whole weird story seem more real.
  3. Nov 7, 2012
    Memento is not just any other movie, it
  4. Aug 13, 2010
    Memento was a smart, clever and suspenful film that truly deserves its accolades as a cerebral thriller and classic. I absolutely loved it! It was Christopher Nolan's third best film behind The Dark Knight and Inception. A 10/10.
  5. Sep 27, 2010
    memento is one of christopher nolans best for me i loved the idea of a film being played backwards its what really gets to me and why i love this film unfortunatley i gave it an 8 because the story line could have been a little improved like if the main character has a loss of memory why is it that he nows that and why is it that the people he tells arent surprised of this other than thatmemento is one of christopher nolans best for me i loved the idea of a film being played backwards its what really gets to me and why i love this film unfortunatley i gave it an 8 because the story line could have been a little improved like if the main character has a loss of memory why is it that he nows that and why is it that the people he tells arent surprised of this other than that and a few things it was an amazing film oh and by the way a fantastic twist Expand
  6. Oct 9, 2010
    The planning this film must of taken must of been long and extensive for this is a complicated,calculated yet incredibly successful script. So clever and so revolutionary if Nolan had not nailed this we may not have seen him take on the big money films later on. This is confident cinema that comes at you fully in the face. My only criticism is that it requires the upmost attention most ofThe planning this film must of taken must of been long and extensive for this is a complicated,calculated yet incredibly successful script. So clever and so revolutionary if Nolan had not nailed this we may not have seen him take on the big money films later on. This is confident cinema that comes at you fully in the face. My only criticism is that it requires the upmost attention most of time,something you can't manage later on in the day. Apart from that, it's a Nolan essential. Expand
  7. Apr 16, 2011
    By no means a perfect film, but it's genius lies in making the audience live the movie as though we share the main character's inability to remember.
  8. Jul 6, 2011
    I cannot believe how well this movie was put together. The potential it had to be repetitive, a la "Groundhog's Day," was totally obliterated by Christopher Nolan's excellent storytelling. Nolan's first of a long line of accomplishments.
  9. Jul 31, 2011
    Christopher's best movie till date.Absolutely drop-dead brilliant. You just don't see film-making like this anymore. Christopher Nolan is the genius we"ve all been waiting for. Welcome to the second revival of great film-makers. It feels good.
  10. Sep 12, 2011
    Leonard Shelby-"I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah. We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different."

Christopher Nolan once

Christopher Nolan once again creates one of the most mind bending and thrilling movie that has to be one of the greatest experiance you will have on film history. Memento is a confusing but a clever and unique movie that will blow your mind just by a few minutes into the movie. This Movie also relates to Insomnia and Inception, meaning the filming (using random flashbacks and using some sort of strange vision, like filming backwards or extreme close-ups).Christopher Nolan also brings back the looks and characters to his later movies, Like the name Kobb from Followin, might refer to Dom "Cobb" from Inception and the looks of Teddy and Catherine from Memento to Gordon (Batman Begins and Dark Knight) and Maul (Inception). Memento is based on the short story, Memento Mori, witch Guy Pearce Dominates in this classic thriller playing Leonard, a man with short-term memory loss that wakes up in a random room, not knowing what's going on, until looking at his body. tattoos fill up his chest with one saying "JOHN G. RAPED AND MURDERED MY WIFE", and the rest saying facts leading up to the murderer. He also finds his Polaroid pictures, one with a guy with glasses and a mustache, named Teddy, and other pictures of information. Everyday he has to go through the same thing, so you gotta feel bad for the guy. For the rest, you probably have to find out the stuff yourself. I love how Nolan takes control of his movies like this, I guess he wants everything to be good, and he did a pretty good job doing so. He creates the most innovated dramas that nobody can miss, and thats why he goes right up to one of my favorite directors. Thuis movie is also filmed in different time periods like Following, except playing the parts of the movie backwards, making the beginning actually the ending. If this movie is too confusing for you, the ending will sum it all up for you, then you can watch it the second time to try to pick up info, like I did, and boy was I confused.
  11. Oct 13, 2011
    Awesome movie Ill give it a 9.3 (9 in meta critic ). incredible story, cool actors and very emotional. This a movie. Christopher nolan you are the best!!!
  12. Oct 28, 2011
    So the "innovative" concept of filming out of sequence has been cliche for at least a few years now, but here's a film that makes it work far better than its been shown in a while.

Sir Nolan mixed confusion, uncertainty, and paranoia as an art form and it went on splendidly. If I told you the entire plot of this film it really wouldn't matter as it is an exquisite paean to the subjectivity of memory and therefore is in itself ambiguous; the â
  13. Dec 5, 2011
    This is one of Nolan's best films in his career. A film that keeps you thinking about who did what or what happened that caused this. The fact that this film is not in chronological order makes it worth its genre of being a mystery. Although some of the scenes are worth looking over to actually understand the movie much better. The story to this movie is superb though, just a lack ofThis is one of Nolan's best films in his career. A film that keeps you thinking about who did what or what happened that caused this. The fact that this film is not in chronological order makes it worth its genre of being a mystery. Although some of the scenes are worth looking over to actually understand the movie much better. The story to this movie is superb though, just a lack of understanding the movie is its downfall. Otherwise great film, good acting, and terrific writing. A movie to see before you die. Expand
  14. Dec 16, 2011
    Unusual way of telling a story, that's for sure. This combined with the acting and filming puts the cherry on top of this cupcake. I recommend watching this to anyone up for a mind game.
  15. Jan 30, 2012
    At first I was like What's going on? But then it hit me. The movie is getting told backwards. And it's doing it in such a great way. So imaginative. Just wanting to see what's going to happen next and how he did get there.
  16. Apr 13, 2012
    Challengingly complex thriller from Christopher Nolan about a man with short-term memory loss out to avenge the murder of his wife. With two converging sequences of events being played out in parallel, Memento both demands and warrants careful attention throughout as the audience must hunt for clues in every scene to help piece together the puzzle. Watching one half of the story unfoldChallengingly complex thriller from Christopher Nolan about a man with short-term memory loss out to avenge the murder of his wife. With two converging sequences of events being played out in parallel, Memento both demands and warrants careful attention throughout as the audience must hunt for clues in every scene to help piece together the puzzle. Watching one half of the story unfold backwards is demanding but genuinely rewarding as earlier events in the film are explained retrospectively.
    The film owes a great debt to the clever story telling technique employed by Nolan, as without this the story would actually be far less dramatic.
    Guy Pearce is superb as the aggrieved husband and plays his character with a subtly sly sense of humour considering the events unfolding.
  17. May 26, 2012
    This is the most innovative movie that I have ever seen. I recommend it to everyone who loves complex movies. You'll be a bit confused at the beginning and you're actually not understand the movie until the half. It's just a great movie!
  18. Jun 2, 2012
    An intelligent suspense thriller with enough attention to detail to merit repeat viewings. Splendid acting. Excellent score. Fantastic balance between violence, dialogue, and mystery. It really does a great job of presenting the story in a nontraditional unchronological way. I have yet to see another brainy feature such as this.
  19. Aug 5, 2012
    Memento is somewhat overrated. It's an alright movie with okay actors and a good director.Nonetheless, Memento should be praised for a good reason. It is exactly the type of film it want to be, Nolan was going through a hipster phase and decided to make this out of chronological order. And for something this chopped and screwed, it still makes sense by the end.
  20. Nov 28, 2012
    An unsparingly gripping and unforgettably remarkable thriller with an excellent story and intricately written characters. Masterstroke work here from one of the greatest directors still in this business.
  21. Dec 19, 2012
    Que mais se podia esperar de Nolan... Um grande thriller! Percebem-se as base de David Lynch, neste tipo de filmes, o que é óptimo, quiçá a melhor e mais original peça de Christopher Nolan.
  22. Jan 6, 2013
    Christopher Nolan's best movie. It makes you think and follow the story line by actually paying attention. It brings great life to movies that need some new blood in them. I asked for a physiological visionary and I got one.
  23. Feb 4, 2013
    This is an amazing movie, with an amazing concept, and an expert storyline to fit it. The idea of telling the story backwards is brilliant and works for his short-term memory loss. Guy Pearce was amazing in his role as Leonard Shelby. This film makes it obvious as to why Christopher Nolan is the greatest modern director and writer.
  24. Feb 6, 2013
    The coolest film noir I've ever seen. It's way of telling a story is very effective and gets viewers to feel like they themselves have to solve the mystery. It is well written and is probably my favorite of all Christopher Nolan films.
  25. Feb 22, 2013
    th movie makes such excellent use of it's plot device, that it's hard not to praise. i couldn't believe how difficult it was to play a movie back in time. everyone has to see it just for that.
  26. Mar 10, 2013
    Nolan suceeds in grabbing audience interests by making this a Whats gonna happen next film. It provided superb performances from many actors that you would not have guessed to have ever done any good and leaves you mind blown. Nolan at his absolute best.
  27. Apr 11, 2013
    One of the greatest, most unpredictable movies of the decade. A must-see.
  28. May 11, 2013
    AMAZING! My mind has literally been raped...If you aren't an analytical thinker; don't watch this film. If you love mystery and puzzle logic--then by all means this is the film for you!!! I am still trying to recover from the ecstatic shock I experienced while viewing the film. Wow! You're not just watching the film; you're alongside the character in his quest to find out the truth--andAMAZING! My mind has literally been raped...If you aren't an analytical thinker; don't watch this film. If you love mystery and puzzle logic--then by all means this is the film for you!!! I am still trying to recover from the ecstatic shock I experienced while viewing the film. Wow! You're not just watching the film; you're alongside the character in his quest to find out the truth--and you solve the mystery before he does. I've never been so fully engaged in watching a movie...EVER! Expand
  29. Jun 10, 2013
    This is not a usual film. All the movies that i saw which were directed by christopher nolan were great and had of course twists. Loved this one. A masterpiece actually. Watch it
  30. Jun 19, 2013
    So inventive a film in reverse. Christopher Nolan has made a film here that cannot be replicated. A rare film that you can't miss a second of or you must start over.
  31. Jul 8, 2013
    The second best Christopher Nolan movie behind the dark knight. A movie unlike any other. It actually tells the movie backwards. This movie brings enjoyment. Awesome! 10/10
  32. Sep 28, 2013
    The movie "Memento" is one bizarre illustration of a rape story and its later consequences. It sets off with a murder from the look of which, the protagonist of the movie kills the guy who's raped and got it over with his wife. The look of satisfaction and enthusiasm on his face implies that he's gotten his revenge and will live relieved after this, but you can never say that as there isThe movie "Memento" is one bizarre illustration of a rape story and its later consequences. It sets off with a murder from the look of which, the protagonist of the movie kills the guy who's raped and got it over with his wife. The look of satisfaction and enthusiasm on his face implies that he's gotten his revenge and will live relieved after this, but you can never say that as there is no afterward events; the story enjoys a reverse chronology. In a story employing this technique, the first scene shown is actually the conclusion to the plot. Once that scene ends, the penultimate scene is shown, and so on, so that the final scene the viewer sees is the first chronologically.
    This 2000 Christopher Nolan movie which is made well before Batman trilogy, The Prestige, and Inception, is based on a short story from Johnathan Nolan, the outstanding director’s brother who has been the co-screenwriter for Nolan’s other great works as well. All the first scenes are happening after the next one and just come to an end when the other one starts which is as strange on paper as it looks on the screen! Nonetheless, this is not the most moving factor in the movie as it is about to get even creepier. The main character of the story, Leonard Shelby [personalized by Guy Pearce] has lost his short memory in the unfortunate incident in a fight with the jerk raping his love. He would only keep the stuff going around him in his recollection for less than ten minutes. To remember things by, he has developed this taking pictures plus adding notes under them method. He usually carries a camera around and takes pictures from the people and places to have in his pocket which will be his only tool to judge people on their good and bad nature. It does not often pay off as the man would choose to write notes about people at the wrong time.
    Besides, Lenny has developed the habit of getting tattoos on his body about very important facts and information. The numbers of tattoos increase constantly, but never stop. The main character, who remembers to be a psychologist, usually talks of a Sammy Jackson which the viewer can never be certain of its existence which is the most terrifying fact.
    The movie leaves the viewer holding the bag and awing at the heaviness of a 2-hour backward story. It educates you that you can never judge people based on one situation, teaches you that even short term memory is a full blessing, and shows you that everything could start only when you think they've come to a bitter end.
    There it is: Christopher Nolan's weirdly overwhelming haunting movie that will make your jaw drop and leave you asking "what did I just watch?"
  33. Nov 12, 2013
    A beautifully crafted, mind bending thriller that will keep you guessing.
    From the brilliant mind of Christopher Nolan, Memento is an instant classic.
  34. Nov 24, 2013
    Simply mind blowing. An absolute masterpiece in script. There is no movie like it. It starts at the ending of the story, and the movie ends with the beginning. Sounds simple enough? Watch it. 9.5/10
  35. Dec 12, 2013
    Memento makes use of its unique premise into what is a near masterpiece. Christopher Nolan once again proves his storytelling skills with a non-linear storyline filled with twists, turns and shocking reveals.
  36. Feb 9, 2014
    One of the best movies ever concieved and also the best Christopher Nolan movie. It has the most unique storytelling you will ever experience and tells a brilliant story with a lot more room for free thinking. my favourite movie!
  37. ShankerN.
    Jun 5, 2005
    Fiendishly clever. The sequencing of scenes is 60% backward in an incremental manner and 40% forward with flashbacks making it very difficult to untie the knots that the movie presents even before the story "begins". Nolan succeeds in putting the viewer in Leonard's shoes and grapple with the notion of truth. Memento enters philosophical realm in showing that the world we perceive is Fiendishly clever. The sequencing of scenes is 60% backward in an incremental manner and 40% forward with flashbacks making it very difficult to untie the knots that the movie presents even before the story "begins". Nolan succeeds in putting the viewer in Leonard's shoes and grapple with the notion of truth. Memento enters philosophical realm in showing that the world we perceive is only as good as our memory. Expand
  38. marshallm.
    Oct 12, 2005
    On my top 5 fav list! captivating and original, u may need a second veiwing to get what it means, but you wont mind seeing it again and again and again.
  39. JamesC.
    Jun 4, 2001
    This very complex thriller had me guessing through out the film and many days afterward. Guy Pierce plays this perfectly.
  40. JonathanH.
    Apr 3, 2004
    Some people have complained about this movie because they didn't care about the characters, so what, since when do you always have to care about the characters, why do movies have to be so heartfilled for the people, i don't get, this is a amazing thriller.
  41. Mar 14, 2014
    the movie is great , the plot very well knit . I admire Mr Nolan about this work > I enjoy this movie very clever plot . It takes me a while to understand it .

I believe the story of the movie goes like this : the whole movie began when Lenny was speaking on the phone with a cop about a drug-dealer called Jimmy Grants , Teddy who claimed to be the cop gave Lenny some details about

I believe the story of the movie goes like this :

the whole movie began when Lenny was speaking on the phone with a cop about a drug-dealer called Jimmy Grants , Teddy who claimed to be the cop gave Lenny some details about Jimmy where he would be in order to kill him , Lenny took Jimmy's clothes and the car then made some fact about Teddy his car license in order to kill him earlier .
    -the bar card from his pocket from Jimmy's suit which said " come after Natalie " this note suppose to be for jimmy not for him but he already didn't remember .

Natalie after she knows about his condition ,she used him to get rid of Doddy who asked her about the money drugs and what happened to Jimmy . here maybe Jimmy was her boyfriend ,she recognize the car and the clothes that Lenny used .
    Sammi's story : I believe it's a side story to bind with Lenny to make the audience to think that Sammi is Lenny himself .
  42. Mar 31, 2014
    Nolan's infamous protagonist played eloquently by Guy Pierce as well as the ordering remains to be the most memorably to Memento. These two aspects, as well as the plot being enticing enough to the viewer, carry the rest of the film into 'great' territory. Still a must-see either way.
  43. Apr 22, 2014
    Following an attack in which his wife was killed insurance investigator Leonard Shelby suffered an injury that left him without short-term memory. Determined to track down the killer he is forced to make notes on scraps of paper or tattoo his body in order to provide clues for himself as his investigation slowly progresses.

Unusually the story itself is told in reverse starting with

Unusually the story itself is told in reverse starting with Leonard killing a man at the end of his investigation. Director Christopher Nolan then takes us backwards, scene by scene. These reversed scenes do overlap slightly in order that we know where we are but this is still a movie that requires full concentration to get the most from it. Featuring twists and turns aplenty Memento really is mesmerising viewing and by the time whole picture becomes clear most will be satisfied with the conclusion.
  44. Apr 23, 2014
    A richly rewarding and incredibly innovative twist on the revenge thriller, Christopher Nolan's "Memento" features a standout performance from Guy Pearce and a story so intelligently and skilfully plotted and rendered, the payoff can make your jaw drop as all the pieces fall into place in your mind. Having only seen it once, I am conscious that perhaps my opinion may change with repeatA richly rewarding and incredibly innovative twist on the revenge thriller, Christopher Nolan's "Memento" features a standout performance from Guy Pearce and a story so intelligently and skilfully plotted and rendered, the payoff can make your jaw drop as all the pieces fall into place in your mind. Having only seen it once, I am conscious that perhaps my opinion may change with repeat viewings; however, "Memento" certainly makes the right first impression. It grips you, challenges you and, above all else, entertains you. Expand
  45. May 7, 2014
    Perhaps one of the most original ideas and script for a film in last 20 something years, it's evenly-paced with scientific accuracy, great acting from Guy Pearce and Joe Pantoliano, and Nolan's brilliant direction to drive this this thriller as one of the more intricate ones.
  46. Jun 20, 2014
    Christopher Nolan's Memento is movie that was surely a pain in the *ss to make. If the plot wasn't interesting and complex enough, they decided to put the scenes in reverse order and to have another storyline where the main character Leonard is talking on the phone with somebody. Both was a very interesting and innovative way to tell a story.
    The story is about insurance investigator
    The story is about insurance investigator Leonard Shelby who has short term memory loss. He can't make new memories and he forgets everything what happened to him recently in about 5 or 10 minutes. His last memory is his wife dying. He decided to find the guy who killed her no matter what. He makes notes, tattoos, documents about the recently acquired information and takes photos of people he met, cars, places he was in recently and with these thing he tries to find the guys named John G.
    Christopher Nolan's genius is perceivable in this movie. Showing us the scenes backwards is clever because it shows us how Leonard sees a situation. When a scene starts we know as much about his status as Leonard himself. That makes the viewer sympathize with him and acquaints him/her about his "condition". And later we find out why the other storyline is important to the whole story..
    So many positive things, why do I give this movie only a 7? The film is brilliant in it's plot, it's cinematography, it's directing, it's dialogues. But apart from Sammy Jenkins's story it didn't make me feel anything. The more I used my brain while watching it the less emotions I felt. There was no moral at the end. Hell, there wasn't even any kind of end (you'll see). The movie didn't make any emotional connection with me. The mystery and the story was interesting and complex, but apart from that, it didn't make me want to watch it again.
    Still, this movie is well-written and mind-bending, and if you liked any of Nolan's movies, you'll probably like this one too, but it's not as receptible as "Inception" or the Batman movies for example. You have to pay attention to the main story and to the tiny info bits too to fully understand it. And it's obvious that they worked their *sses off till the premiere. And I respect the effort they put in this film. I recommend watching it at least once if you like complex stories or Nolan's works, or both.
  47. Jun 26, 2014
    There's not much to say about "Memento" without spoiling anything, so I'm just gonna say: Watch it. The film's narrative structure will blow your mind.
  48. Jan 15, 2015
    This movie ...... it was a joy ride from beginning til end the whole thing just how it puts itself together is amazing and plays in reverse. The story is my favorite part. A man creates a strange system to help him remember things; so he can hunt for the murderer of his wife without his short-term memory loss being an obstacle.
  49. Apr 23, 2015
    Memory - it is one of the key elements that separates human beings from animals. It is one of the basic building blocks of personality. Who we are is shaped as much by our experiences as by our environment. Memory can also be unreliable, not to mention easily influenced. Ask three people to describe the same event, and none of those accounts will be the same. But, although memories areMemory - it is one of the key elements that separates human beings from animals. It is one of the basic building blocks of personality. Who we are is shaped as much by our experiences as by our environment. Memory can also be unreliable, not to mention easily influenced. Ask three people to describe the same event, and none of those accounts will be the same. But, although memories are skewed by perspective, they are critical to the human experience. Memento is very much concerned with all aspects of memory, especially the manipulation of it, and this endlessly fascinating, wonderfully open-ended motion picture will be remembered by many who see it as one of the best films of the year.

When I initially saw Memento at the 2001 Sundance Film Festival, where it played in competition, I recognized this as a shoo-in for a spot on my year's end Top 10 list. There's no way this film could miss. Had it been released last year, it would have landed in the #1 or #2 position (right ahead of or behind Requiem for a Dream). This is a great motion picture, and, as an added bonus, it has a tremendous "replayability", meaning that subsequent viewings are almost as rewarding as the first. The only downside is that, with a small distributor like Newmarket Capital Group, it may be difficult to find, especially for those who don't live near major metropolitan areas.

Memento doesn't stop with a great premise. In fact, what really distinguishes this film is its brilliant, innovative structure. Nolan has elected to tell the story backwards. He starts at the end and finishes near the beginning. The main narrative is presented as a series of three-to-eight minute segments, each of which ends where the previous one began. A second thread, which starts at an unspecified time in the past and moves forward to intersect with the main storyline, is used to buffer the "reverse" segments as well as to provide background information. (It also tells the important "Sammy Jankis" story, which becomes increasingly important the deeper we get into the film.) Although this approach might at first seem confusing, it doesn't take long to get used to it, and to understand how well it works with this material.

By presenting events in Memento backwards, Nolan allows us to get into the mindset of the main character. Like Leonard, we don't have a clear indication of what happened before the current segment of time. We know some things from the past, but not the recent past. Like him, we are presented with numerous cryptic clues, some of which may mean something other than what they initially appear to represent. And, although it might seem that an approach which reveals the story's conclusion in the first five minutes would lack tension, that's far from the case. Memento builds to a surprising yet completely logical finale, and there's plenty of suspense along the way to keep the viewer riveted.

In some ways, Memento can almost be described as anti-Groundhog Day. (The presence of Stephen Tobolowsky in supporting roles in both movies strengthens the connection.) Both pictures toy with timelines and memory, but, while Groundhog Day re-treads one period of time, constantly re-shaping recent history, Memento represents the past as a vacuum. Bill Murray's character in the 1993 film has multiple memories of a single time period. Here, Leonard has none. Another movie that comes to mind when discussing Memento is the Dana Carvey comedy Clean Slate. The two films have pretty much the same premise, but, while Clean Slate does little with it, Memento draws every ounce of potential from this rich well.

Every festival has a defining film. Sometimes it wins awards; sometimes it doesn't. For Sundance 2001, Memento was that movie. Despite its diversity of genres, the festival couldn't boast anything better; now, in the bleak movie-going climate of early spring, Memento is poised to breathe life back into art houses and independent theaters that have been as stung as multiplexes by mediocre fare. For those who love films and don't mind endings that don't wrap everything into a tidy package, Memento is not to be missed, even if you have to make a long trip to reach a theater showing it.

When it comes to making a Top 10 list for 2001, one title I won't forget is Memento.
  50. May 26, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Every time I think about Christopher Nolan, I remember him as the guy who directed the The Dark Knight trilogy and made amazing films that are still watchable to understand, but then I heard about this film how complex it was and how it requires multiple rewatches to see it and understand.

When I first saw Memento, I didn't understand it I was afraid I made pass it on saying I hated it,, but when I look back at the details and add them to the second viewing and getting advice from another cinemaphile, I realized in my second viewing wait.....I think I got it, amazing new storytelling technique, smart directing, mind-blowing twisted scrip, shocking ending and the results:

OMG! MEMENTO IS CHRISTOPHER NOLAN'S BEST FILM EVER!!!!!! oh thank you Platypusbunny419!

you've got to see this movie several times to understand. if your looking for something complex and hard to understand, a film you wanna keep digging deeper this is a film for you!!

Its like a modern experiment using similar techniques from Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction and Stanley Kubrick's non-linear film-noir 'The Killing' and make into something interesting! I dare you to see it MORE THAN ONCE!!!!!!!!! and for further information don't use reverse because it will ruin the special recipe.

A Complex Achievement

***** - 5 stars instant certified classic
  51. Feb 21, 2011
  52. Mar 3, 2012
    Another of my all-time favorites. Deep, compelling and always toeing the line of audaciousness. Great cast, genuinely original and watchable a dozen times over. A masterpiece that got swept under the rug years ago, shamefully.... An absolute must-watch!!!
  53. Feb 22, 2011
    A Christopher Nolan's masterpiece, complex narrative is skillfully executed, keeping audiences guessing. Overall it's up to us, our interpretation, it's not just about the evidences
  54. Jun 27, 2014
    As one of the first Nolan-esque movies of its kind, Memento and its director deserve a lot of credit. Movies like this must be so hard to write, film, and edit. The continuity issues, anachronisms, and the plot holes all have to be tied up in a nice little bow in order for it to work. Well, for the most part, Nolan has done the best he can with this complex-yet-simple, twisty-and-turny,As one of the first Nolan-esque movies of its kind, Memento and its director deserve a lot of credit. Movies like this must be so hard to write, film, and edit. The continuity issues, anachronisms, and the plot holes all have to be tied up in a nice little bow in order for it to work. Well, for the most part, Nolan has done the best he can with this complex-yet-simple, twisty-and-turny, flash-forward-flashback screenplay of his. The repetition and the way the story unfolds is pretty neat, and the cinematography is great thanks to Team Nolan's good ol' Wally Pfister. It's the type of Inception-ish movie where you have to be 100% focused on it at all times, and you have to be ready to think for a second. For the way the non-linear story plays out, it is a cinematic achievement, right up there with Pulp Fiction. Expand
  55. Jul 5, 2013
    OK, you didn't expect that! Every way of the film, you think you know what's going to happen but you don't! it's got the right pace, right amount of suspense, and a brilliant twist. Christopher Nolan was making sure he was someone we should certainly pay attention to.
  56. Jan 2, 2011
    Perplexing, Chilling, Stunning, Riveting--- following more puzzlement---- accompany this piece of work and paints a masterpiece of film-making with such precision that it requires multiple viewings just to make sense of it all. The ultimate thriller for the patient of mind.
  57. Jul 19, 2011
    The creative plot-line and story are the highlights of Christopher Nolan's film. He took what could have been an average story and made it really stand-out with his daring plot devices. The cinematographic elements are of above-average quality, while the screenplay gives it's best fight at ruining the film altogether (aka the constant narration). It is an entertaining piece, could've beenThe creative plot-line and story are the highlights of Christopher Nolan's film. He took what could have been an average story and made it really stand-out with his daring plot devices. The cinematographic elements are of above-average quality, while the screenplay gives it's best fight at ruining the film altogether (aka the constant narration). It is an entertaining piece, could've been excellent with a few tweaks in the way of dialogue. (Officially I would give a 6.5, but that is not an option). Expand
  58. PituG.
    Oct 26, 2003
    At the end you don't care about any of the characters, the concept is a good one but the movie itself is unbearable.
  59. Nov 29, 2010
    I now know what is wrong with Christopher Nolan movies. The characters are lifeless. They are not real people. There is no vulnerability, no character development, the dialogue is static and robotic. No real person speaks like that. I can see the intention to create depths in the characters, but this is clearly not the way to do it. This movie is just nauseating to watch. From minute one,I now know what is wrong with Christopher Nolan movies. The characters are lifeless. They are not real people. There is no vulnerability, no character development, the dialogue is static and robotic. No real person speaks like that. I can see the intention to create depths in the characters, but this is clearly not the way to do it. This movie is just nauseating to watch. From minute one, you see that the main character's hair is dyed...you wonder why that is. The way everyone looks is always...too deep, unreal, like they are on drugs, not connected to the real world. Expand
  60. JayC.
    Aug 15, 2001
    This movie has absolutely no comedy in it. Its funny for the kids and the accent thing is cute but this is just stupid. I laughed once... Rent this for the kids they will laugh the first time they see it and then they will forget about it.
  61. JuliusM.
    May 8, 2001
    THE best movie I have seen this year, truly my vote for best foreing film. A work of art that is truly magnificent.
  62. Aug 13, 2010
    Memento is not the first film by Christopher Nolan but itâ
  63. May 27, 2011
    I normally love Christopher Nolan films but memento was the worst film he has made in my opinion. Instead of his usual brilliance I found memento to be mediocre. But I did like the way that all the characters were reviled to be connected and not as they seem at the end. This however does not make up for the fact that there is no attachment between the viewer and the characters by the endI normally love Christopher Nolan films but memento was the worst film he has made in my opinion. Instead of his usual brilliance I found memento to be mediocre. But I did like the way that all the characters were reviled to be connected and not as they seem at the end. This however does not make up for the fact that there is no attachment between the viewer and the characters by the end of the film leaving the viewer unsatisfied and thinking the story could have been made a much shorter length. Expand
  64. Sep 28, 2011
    Someone must tell to Christopher Nolan that is important that the characters of his movie must have a story or may be try to explain why are they there
  65. Feb 25, 2013
    Just like "The Prestige", Christopher Nolan's "Memento" offers a very satisfying and unpredictable ending but the problem with "Memento" is that we have to watch about 90 minutes of nonsense in order to reach the last 20 minutes. This movie was a complete drag and a disappoinment after having heard so much good about it.
  66. May 25, 2013
    Christopher Nolan is my all time favorite director i enjoy all his movies i enjoy the fact that his movies are anything other than linear because it's make you think about it and connect the scenes together and make more sense if you watch the movie again,
    however i think that Nolan took it too far with this one cause in order for a Christopher Nolan movie to be great you have to enjoy each and every scene and have no idea what's next THAT'S ALL NOLAN MOVIES
    but with Memento the curiosity is not about the next scene it's about when the movie ends and that's sad because when the level of mystery is 100% and everything don't make any sense you kinda loss interests in the movie and i know some people are impressed by the end because there is no end
    but i find it a waste of 2 hours movie and yeah i didn't find Guy Pearce as a good actor in this one.
    after all that being said i don't think the movie is bad i just didn't like it.
  67. Mar 30, 2014
    I used to hate this film, but after watching it again, that changed. Initially, I hated because of the way the story was told. While it is still aggravating to me the way the story progresses then jumps back and it really hinders my enjoyment of the film, I appreciate it a lot more. Memento is brilliantly made by Christopher Nolan and Guy Pearce is great in the lead role. As we go back inI used to hate this film, but after watching it again, that changed. Initially, I hated because of the way the story was told. While it is still aggravating to me the way the story progresses then jumps back and it really hinders my enjoyment of the film, I appreciate it a lot more. Memento is brilliantly made by Christopher Nolan and Guy Pearce is great in the lead role. As we go back in time further and further, more of the picture becomes clear and it leads to many questions about who Leonard Shelby truly is and what actually went down. This really shows how memories can deceive you and, heck, even your own perceptions can deceive you

On the negative side, again, the way the story is told is aggravating. While I understand the purpose and am fine with backtracking, the aggravating part is when we backtrack and then it leads to something we already saw before. It just feels repetitive and overall, while it no longer kills it for me, it is still a major knock I have against this one.
  68. Aug 28, 2014
    Memento is an overly fractured, complex thriller. Nolan gives, what he believes, enough evidence to the audience to allow us to create our own interpretation of the happenings.
  69. Mack
    Jan 6, 2009
    This was one of my favorite movies upon first viewing. The only reason I won't give it a 10 is that it is never nearly as good as the first viewing. If you've never seen it before, just know that you will have to appreciate this movie upon first viewing. The method of telling this story puts you in the position of the character like no movie I've ever seen before. You truly This was one of my favorite movies upon first viewing. The only reason I won't give it a 10 is that it is never nearly as good as the first viewing. If you've never seen it before, just know that you will have to appreciate this movie upon first viewing. The method of telling this story puts you in the position of the character like no movie I've ever seen before. You truly do not know what characters to trust. Anyone who says they can see the ending coming is absolutely lying. It isn't a great ending but I don't know how you could possibly see that exact ending coming. Expand
  70. DonTaiC
    May 9, 2005
    This movie had me going form the moment I clicked play. I found myself getting more and more into this thriller as the picture progressed. You will be shocked and saddened at the same time by the time this movie reaches it's surreal ending; or beginning as the case may be.
  71. gabeH-W.
    Aug 26, 2005
    Pay very close attention, this is a terrific film, terrific. Acting is superb. pay close attention, ending scene changed my perspective on s..t.
  72. JoeB
    Nov 15, 2005
    My favorite movie of all time, a real thinker and a twist on the who-dun-it genre. Guy Pearce is fantastic, the direction is tight; I can make no criticisms against this film.
  73. PatrickD.
    Dec 16, 2005
    Harry Potter got a better score than this.
  74. AlexP.
    Jan 14, 2006
    A very smart movie that isn't for everyone. But those willing to follow it carefully are rewarded with excellent acting, great edting, and an overall interesting and humane story.
  75. JohnV
    Nov 1, 2006
    Excellent Film. Carrie-Anne Moss was outstanding in this film.
  76. Woob
    Jan 25, 2007
    Uh....awesome. A great film with so many little foreshadowing details that you never notice the first time.
  77. J
    Jul 27, 2007
    A great thriller with a very cool existentialist subtext, especially at the end. I agree with Woob; you really need to see this movie at least twice to pick up all the foreshadowing clues (the superb editing hides these cleverly).
  78. MichaelM.
    Oct 23, 2004
    This movie is at the least excellent! It is great all-around! It has a very original idea and script, and the direction is filled with creativity. The story is about a man named Leonard Shelby (Guy Pearce - L.A. Confidential) who suffers from short term memory. After his wife (C.S.I.'s Jorja Fox - who has bad periodontal disease and can't act) dies, Leonard lounges around budget This movie is at the least excellent! It is great all-around! It has a very original idea and script, and the direction is filled with creativity. The story is about a man named Leonard Shelby (Guy Pearce - L.A. Confidential) who suffers from short term memory. After his wife (C.S.I.'s Jorja Fox - who has bad periodontal disease and can't act) dies, Leonard lounges around budget motel rooms trying to find and put vengeance on the man who killed his wife. He gets helped along the way by a weird looking cop, Teddy (Joe Pantoliano - The Sopranos) and a drug dealer's anxious wife (Carrie Ann-Moss - The Matrix). For those who like solving mysteries and fans of true good thrillers, this is a film for you. Guy Pearce and Joe Pantoliano give especially excellent performances! (2/1/03) Expand
  79. JadeC.
    May 13, 2001
    The movie is as interesting running backwards as if it were sequential. Every answer brings more questions, action demands a reason. A great psychological dilemma.
  80. CarlosM.
    Nov 5, 2001
    A master-piece.
  81. KeesungK.
    Oct 26, 2001
    I had to watch it three times. Backwards in third. (dvd can show the reason why you pay extra few buck sometimes) Great acting. Great ideas. Great film making. Gives me hope in this re-make-eye candy special effect-filled Hollywood trend era.
  82. LoganZ.
    Dec 22, 2001
    I just read the nominees for golden globes and went crazy... Memento didn't get a single nomination! I have absolutely lost all respect for any award shows, because Memento is without question the best film of the year, if not the past 10 years.
  83. LAW
    Nov 9, 2001
    So rarely you will find a piece with so much thought put into it. I was in awe of it's cleverness. Persons with ADD and no real sense of creative task could never understand this movie or enjoy the fact that this movie requires no true resolve to be loved.
    Oct 21, 2001
    So good, and so confusing.
  85. AlexK.
    Aug 5, 2002
    Exhilirating... nothing like it before. Entertainingly twisted, just going through the movie as Leonard, not knowing what just happened, and why you're doing this. Great job by Pearce... overall, one of the best movies of all time.
  86. JeffW.
    Aug 18, 2001
    A true masterpeice. Unlike any movie I have ever seen, everything about it is unique. It leaves you with a feeling of sympathy for Leonard, and satisfication.
  87. JayL.
    Aug 12, 2002
    The first time i saw this movie i went wow...powerful, cool and an amazing movie. This is the type of movie that makes you want to be involved with the characters and be with them in their world. Ive seen the movie about 5 times so far and i bought the dvd a little while ago, im planing on watching it till my eyes fall out its that good of a movie, a definite change from the normal The first time i saw this movie i went wow...powerful, cool and an amazing movie. This is the type of movie that makes you want to be involved with the characters and be with them in their world. Ive seen the movie about 5 times so far and i bought the dvd a little while ago, im planing on watching it till my eyes fall out its that good of a movie, a definite change from the normal mainstream crap in the theaters these days with crap movies that come out of hollywood day and night. A very interesting story line how its played backwards sort of a change of pace from the norm. Expand
  88. DavidS.
    Jun 21, 2001
    I've already seen it six times, and am going for the seventh any day now. There hasn't been anything this intriguing to me. I haven't seen anything this brilliant in a very long time. Oh, by the way, the low reviews will come from the people who still can't find their cars in the parking lot of the theater. Go. Go again. I can't recommend this enough.
  89. AndrewE.
    Apr 13, 2002
    The best movie I've ever seen. Pearce is almost better than the amazing screenplay.
  90. M.Simões
    Jun 7, 2002
    It is definitely one of the most well structured movies I have ever seen, Intersting and mentally stimulating. It's one of the few films that made me walk away tired, I love it, your mind races to keep up with the whole of the story.
  91. TobyB.
    Jul 7, 2003
    If I had a top ten of all time movie list - this would definately be on it and probably near the top - It is truly orginal, brilliantlly acted, fantastically shot, sublimely edited and wow, what a twist - you must see NOW
  92. DJONE3
    Aug 7, 2003
    10++++ If You Havent Seen This Movie Your Thought Process Is Past Scrwed Up!! In as small town that I live in this is the Ultimate unheard of movie!!
  93. NickT.
    Dec 11, 2001
    One of the most brilliant and cerebral movies I've ever seen. Can't be seen only once. The plot and the way the story unfolds is unique!
  94. Emma
    Jun 2, 2001
    I absolutely loved this movie! I've already seen it twice and can't wait to go again! This is the reason why I want to work with film, it inspires me.
  95. MarkK.
    Sep 10, 2001
    Amazing film that makes you think about the simplest of things, entertains, and has amazing performances. gold.
  96. NedD.
    Sep 14, 2001
    Best movie of 2001? You betcha. Like "Requiem for a Dream" the year before, here is the only true original of the year. Spellbinding in its cleverness, originality and daring. Brilliant. You won't see anything like it this year.
  97. AaronC.
    Jul 28, 2001
    This is the best movie that I have seen this year and one of the best that I have ever seen. I saw this movie for the first time at Sundance, and I haven't stopped thinking about it since. I've seen it a second time, and it definitely holds up to repeat viewings. I can't wait until it comes out on video Sept. 4.
  98. AaronC.
    Jul 28, 2001
  99. DerekL.
    Apr 20, 2001
    Did I tell you I liked this movie? You see there's this guy who has a friend but is he really his friend? Let me check that tattoo. No, not a friend. Did I tell you I liked this movie? And about that friend and the girlfriend. Let me check my tattoo. Not to be trusted, the friend. Love that girlfriend. I loved this movie, did I tell you that already? What a nasty girlfriend? Let me Did I tell you I liked this movie? You see there's this guy who has a friend but is he really his friend? Let me check that tattoo. No, not a friend. Did I tell you I liked this movie? And about that friend and the girlfriend. Let me check my tattoo. Not to be trusted, the friend. Love that girlfriend. I loved this movie, did I tell you that already? What a nasty girlfriend? Let me check my tattoo. Not really my girlfriend. Must avenge wife. What a great move, did I tell you that? Must check tattoo. Friend, this is the best movie of the year, best since Fargo, in fact. Let me tell you why. Expand
  100. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    If I were Leonard, I'd stop looking for the killer and replace all my tattoos with two words: Watch Memento. Brilliant.

1. A delicious one-time treat.
  2. Pearce, who's in every scene except the Sammy flashbacks, dominates the picture through his feral performance.
  3. Operates in an orbit somewhere between Oliver Sacks and Lewis Carroll. I can't remember when a movie has seemed so clever, strangely affecting and slyly funny at the very same time.