Newmarket Films | Release Date: March 16, 2001
9.0
Universal acclaim based on 1017 Ratings
WATCH NOW
asthobaskoroFeb 22, 2011
A Christopher Nolan's masterpiece, complex narrative is skillfully executed, keeping audiences guessing. Overall it's up to us, our interpretation, it's not just about the evidences
TheGorillaJan 15, 2011
well, this was complex man..great directing and storytelling. nice performance form Pearce, and i surely didn't expect an ending like it. it was genius really. it made me so confusing but i figured it out with the ending. unlike inception.well, this was complex man..great directing and storytelling. nice performance form Pearce, and i surely didn't expect an ending like it. it was genius really. it made me so confusing but i figured it out with the ending. unlike inception. so, a great movie, if you like watching dramas and mysteries then this is the one. OK? Expand
796712Sep 27, 2010
memento is one of christopher nolans best for me i loved the idea of a film being played backwards its what really gets to me and why i love this film unfortunatley i gave it an 8 because the story line could have been a little improved likememento is one of christopher nolans best for me i loved the idea of a film being played backwards its what really gets to me and why i love this film unfortunatley i gave it an 8 because the story line could have been a little improved like if the main character has a loss of memory why is it that he nows that and why is it that the people he tells arent surprised of this other than that and a few things it was an amazing film oh and by the way a fantastic twist Expand
bhavertyFeb 2, 2011
This is a movie with a "twist" but it doesn't put one in just to have a twist ... it's a part of the whole story, and somehow makes the whole weird story seem more real.
theahsanhaseebNov 7, 2012
Memento is not just any other movie, it
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
An unsparingly gripping and unforgettably remarkable thriller with an excellent story and intricately written characters. Masterstroke work here from one of the greatest directors still in this business.
kykthebrykDec 19, 2012
Que mais se podia esperar de Nolan... Um grande thriller! Percebem-se as base de David Lynch, neste tipo de filmes, o que é óptimo, quiçá a melhor e mais original peça de Christopher Nolan.
eagleeyevikingDec 12, 2013
Memento makes use of its unique premise into what is a near masterpiece. Christopher Nolan once again proves his storytelling skills with a non-linear storyline filled with twists, turns and shocking reveals.
LOmarGJun 2, 2012
An intelligent suspense thriller with enough attention to detail to merit repeat viewings. Splendid acting. Excellent score. Fantastic balance between violence, dialogue, and mystery. It really does a great job of presenting the story inAn intelligent suspense thriller with enough attention to detail to merit repeat viewings. Splendid acting. Excellent score. Fantastic balance between violence, dialogue, and mystery. It really does a great job of presenting the story in a nontraditional unchronological way. I have yet to see another brainy feature such as this. Expand
HarbingerAug 13, 2010
Memento was a smart, clever and suspenful film that truly deserves its accolades as a cerebral thriller and classic. I absolutely loved it! It was Christopher Nolan's third best film behind The Dark Knight and Inception. A 10/10.
PaxsterOct 9, 2010
The planning this film must of taken must of been long and extensive for this is a complicated,calculated yet incredibly successful script. So clever and so revolutionary if Nolan had not nailed this we may not have seen him take on the bigThe planning this film must of taken must of been long and extensive for this is a complicated,calculated yet incredibly successful script. So clever and so revolutionary if Nolan had not nailed this we may not have seen him take on the big money films later on. This is confident cinema that comes at you fully in the face. My only criticism is that it requires the upmost attention most of time,something you can't manage later on in the day. Apart from that, it's a Nolan essential. Expand
denimbrcinaOct 13, 2011
Awesome movie Ill give it a 9.3 (9 in meta critic ). incredible story, cool actors and very emotional. This a movie. Christopher nolan you are the best!!!
AmriT240892Jul 31, 2011
Christopher's best movie till date.Absolutely drop-dead brilliant. You just don't see film-making like this anymore. Christopher Nolan is the genius we"ve all been waiting for. Welcome to the second revival of great film-makers. It feels good.
JordanPApr 16, 2011
By no means a perfect film, but it's genius lies in making the audience live the movie as though we share the main character's inability to remember.
RichBlackSep 12, 2011
Leonard Shelby-"I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe theLeonard Shelby-"I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah. We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different."

Christopher Nolan once again creates one of the most mind bending and thrilling movie that has to be one of the greatest experiance you will have on film history. Memento is a confusing but a clever and unique movie that will blow your mind just by a few minutes into the movie. This Movie also relates to Insomnia and Inception, meaning the filming (using random flashbacks and using some sort of strange vision, like filming backwards or extreme close-ups).Christopher Nolan also brings back the looks and characters to his later movies, Like the name Kobb from Followin, might refer to Dom "Cobb" from Inception and the looks of Teddy and Catherine from Memento to Gordon (Batman Begins and Dark Knight) and Maul (Inception). Memento is based on the short story, Memento Mori, witch Guy Pearce Dominates in this classic thriller playing Leonard, a man with short-term memory loss that wakes up in a random room, not knowing what's going on, until looking at his body. tattoos fill up his chest with one saying "JOHN G. RAPED AND MURDERED MY WIFE", and the rest saying facts leading up to the murderer. He also finds his Polaroid pictures, one with a guy with glasses and a mustache, named Teddy, and other pictures of information. Everyday he has to go through the same thing, so you gotta feel bad for the guy. For the rest, you probably have to find out the stuff yourself. I love how Nolan takes control of his movies like this, I guess he wants everything to be good, and he did a pretty good job doing so. He creates the most innovated dramas that nobody can miss, and thats why he goes right up to one of my favorite directors. Thuis movie is also filmed in different time periods like Following, except playing the parts of the movie backwards, making the beginning actually the ending. If this movie is too confusing for you, the ending will sum it all up for you, then you can watch it the second time to try to pick up info, like I did, and boy was I confused.
ElliottFJul 6, 2011
I cannot believe how well this movie was put together. The potential it had to be repetitive, a la "Groundhog's Day," was totally obliterated by Christopher Nolan's excellent storytelling. Nolan's first of a long line of accomplishments.
bigbosslunaJan 30, 2012
At first I was like What's going on? But then it hit me. The movie is getting told backwards. And it's doing it in such a great way. So imaginative. Just wanting to see what's going to happen next and how he did get there.
bram29Feb 22, 2013
th movie makes such excellent use of it's plot device, that it's hard not to praise. i couldn't believe how difficult it was to play a movie back in time. everyone has to see it just for that.
moviekretikOct 28, 2011
So the "innovative" concept of filming out of sequence has been cliche for at least a few years now, but here's a film that makes it work far better than its been shown in a while.

Sir Nolan mixed confusion, uncertainty, and paranoia as an

Sir Nolan mixed confusion, uncertainty, and paranoia as an art form and it went on splendidly. If I told you the entire plot of this film it really wouldn't matter as it is an exquisite paean to the subjectivity of memory and therefore is in itself ambiguous; the â
jmydizonDec 5, 2011
This is one of Nolan's best films in his career. A film that keeps you thinking about who did what or what happened that caused this. The fact that this film is not in chronological order makes it worth its genre of being a mystery. AlthoughThis is one of Nolan's best films in his career. A film that keeps you thinking about who did what or what happened that caused this. The fact that this film is not in chronological order makes it worth its genre of being a mystery. Although some of the scenes are worth looking over to actually understand the movie much better. The story to this movie is superb though, just a lack of understanding the movie is its downfall. Otherwise great film, good acting, and terrific writing. A movie to see before you die. Expand
House0fWolves_Dec 16, 2011
Unusual way of telling a story, that's for sure. This combined with the acting and filming puts the cherry on top of this cupcake. I recommend watching this to anyone up for a mind game.
AlvaradoKTAAug 5, 2012
Memento is somewhat overrated. It's an alright movie with okay actors and a good director.Nonetheless, Memento should be praised for a good reason. It is exactly the type of film it want to be, Nolan was going through a hipster phase andMemento is somewhat overrated. It's an alright movie with okay actors and a good director.Nonetheless, Memento should be praised for a good reason. It is exactly the type of film it want to be, Nolan was going through a hipster phase and decided to make this out of chronological order. And for something this chopped and screwed, it still makes sense by the end. Expand
A_NorthernerApr 13, 2012
Challengingly complex thriller from Christopher Nolan about a man with short-term memory loss out to avenge the murder of his wife. With two converging sequences of events being played out in parallel, Memento both demands and warrantsChallengingly complex thriller from Christopher Nolan about a man with short-term memory loss out to avenge the murder of his wife. With two converging sequences of events being played out in parallel, Memento both demands and warrants careful attention throughout as the audience must hunt for clues in every scene to help piece together the puzzle. Watching one half of the story unfold backwards is demanding but genuinely rewarding as earlier events in the film are explained retrospectively.
The film owes a great debt to the clever story telling technique employed by Nolan, as without this the story would actually be far less dramatic.
Guy Pearce is superb as the aggrieved husband and plays his character with a subtly sly sense of humour considering the events unfolding.
ConnKonNov 24, 2013
Simply mind blowing. An absolute masterpiece in script. There is no movie like it. It starts at the ending of the story, and the movie ends with the beginning. Sounds simple enough? Watch it. 9.5/10
MaryWarner1995May 26, 2012
This is the most innovative movie that I have ever seen. I recommend it to everyone who loves complex movies. You'll be a bit confused at the beginning and you're actually not understand the movie until the half. It's just a great movie!
TheWalrus2000Mar 10, 2013
Nolan suceeds in grabbing audience interests by making this a Whats gonna happen next film. It provided superb performances from many actors that you would not have guessed to have ever done any good and leaves you mind blown. Nolan at hisNolan suceeds in grabbing audience interests by making this a Whats gonna happen next film. It provided superb performances from many actors that you would not have guessed to have ever done any good and leaves you mind blown. Nolan at his absolute best. Expand
SummersausageJan 6, 2013
Christopher Nolan's best movie. It makes you think and follow the story line by actually paying attention. It brings great life to movies that need some new blood in them. I asked for a physiological visionary and I got one.
WeaselboystFeb 6, 2013
The coolest film noir I've ever seen. It's way of telling a story is very effective and gets viewers to feel like they themselves have to solve the mystery. It is well written and is probably my favorite of all Christopher Nolan films.
BrianMcCriticJun 19, 2013
So inventive a film in reverse. Christopher Nolan has made a film here that cannot be replicated. A rare film that you can't miss a second of or you must start over.
MBond1810Apr 11, 2013
One of the greatest, most unpredictable movies of the decade. A must-see.
DrewAnthony92May 11, 2013
AMAZING! My mind has literally been raped...If you aren't an analytical thinker; don't watch this film. If you love mystery and puzzle logic--then by all means this is the film for you!!! I am still trying to recover from the ecstatic shock IAMAZING! My mind has literally been raped...If you aren't an analytical thinker; don't watch this film. If you love mystery and puzzle logic--then by all means this is the film for you!!! I am still trying to recover from the ecstatic shock I experienced while viewing the film. Wow! You're not just watching the film; you're alongside the character in his quest to find out the truth--and you solve the mystery before he does. I've never been so fully engaged in watching a movie...EVER! Expand
LansdenrsJul 8, 2013
The second best Christopher Nolan movie behind the dark knight. A movie unlike any other. It actually tells the movie backwards. This movie brings enjoyment. Awesome! 10/10
KivaJun 10, 2013
This is not a usual film. All the movies that i saw which were directed by christopher nolan were great and had of course twists. Loved this one. A masterpiece actually. Watch it
MehdiJavaniSep 28, 2013
The movie "Memento" is one bizarre illustration of a rape story and its later consequences. It sets off with a murder from the look of which, the protagonist of the movie kills the guy who's raped and got it over with his wife. The look ofThe movie "Memento" is one bizarre illustration of a rape story and its later consequences. It sets off with a murder from the look of which, the protagonist of the movie kills the guy who's raped and got it over with his wife. The look of satisfaction and enthusiasm on his face implies that he's gotten his revenge and will live relieved after this, but you can never say that as there is no afterward events; the story enjoys a reverse chronology. In a story employing this technique, the first scene shown is actually the conclusion to the plot. Once that scene ends, the penultimate scene is shown, and so on, so that the final scene the viewer sees is the first chronologically.
This 2000 Christopher Nolan movie which is made well before Batman trilogy, The Prestige, and Inception, is based on a short story from Johnathan Nolan, the outstanding director’s brother who has been the co-screenwriter for Nolan’s other great works as well. All the first scenes are happening after the next one and just come to an end when the other one starts which is as strange on paper as it looks on the screen! Nonetheless, this is not the most moving factor in the movie as it is about to get even creepier. The main character of the story, Leonard Shelby [personalized by Guy Pearce] has lost his short memory in the unfortunate incident in a fight with the jerk raping his love. He would only keep the stuff going around him in his recollection for less than ten minutes. To remember things by, he has developed this taking pictures plus adding notes under them method. He usually carries a camera around and takes pictures from the people and places to have in his pocket which will be his only tool to judge people on their good and bad nature. It does not often pay off as the man would choose to write notes about people at the wrong time.
Besides, Lenny has developed the habit of getting tattoos on his body about very important facts and information. The numbers of tattoos increase constantly, but never stop. The main character, who remembers to be a psychologist, usually talks of a Sammy Jackson which the viewer can never be certain of its existence which is the most terrifying fact.
The movie leaves the viewer holding the bag and awing at the heaviness of a 2-hour backward story. It educates you that you can never judge people based on one situation, teaches you that even short term memory is a full blessing, and shows you that everything could start only when you think they've come to a bitter end.
There it is: Christopher Nolan's weirdly overwhelming haunting movie that will make your jaw drop and leave you asking "what did I just watch?"
RayzorMooseNov 12, 2013
A beautifully crafted, mind bending thriller that will keep you guessing.
From the brilliant mind of Christopher Nolan, Memento is an instant classic.
kameratypFeb 9, 2014
One of the best movies ever concieved and also the best Christopher Nolan movie. It has the most unique storytelling you will ever experience and tells a brilliant story with a lot more room for free thinking. my favourite movie!
VinceRocks123May 26, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Every time I think about Christopher Nolan, I remember him as the guy who directed the The Dark Knight trilogy and made amazing films that are still watchable to understand, but then I heard about this film how complex it was and how it requires multiple rewatches to see it and understand.

When I first saw Memento, I didn't understand it I was afraid I made pass it on saying I hated it,, but when I look back at the details and add them to the second viewing and getting advice from another cinemaphile, I realized in my second viewing wait.....I think I got it, amazing new storytelling technique, smart directing, mind-blowing twisted scrip, shocking ending and the results:

OMG! MEMENTO IS CHRISTOPHER NOLAN'S BEST FILM EVER!!!!!! oh thank you Platypusbunny419!

you've got to see this movie several times to understand. if your looking for something complex and hard to understand, a film you wanna keep digging deeper this is a film for you!!

Its like a modern experiment using similar techniques from Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction and Stanley Kubrick's non-linear film-noir 'The Killing' and make into something interesting! I dare you to see it MORE THAN ONCE!!!!!!!!! and for further information don't use reverse because it will ruin the special recipe.

A Complex Achievement

***** - 5 stars instant certified classic
JamesC.Jun 4, 2001
This very complex thriller had me guessing through out the film and many days afterward. Guy Pierce plays this perfectly.
JonathanH.Apr 3, 2004
Some people have complained about this movie because they didn't care about the characters, so what, since when do you always have to care about the characters, why do movies have to be so heartfilled for the people, i don't get, Some people have complained about this movie because they didn't care about the characters, so what, since when do you always have to care about the characters, why do movies have to be so heartfilled for the people, i don't get, this is a amazing thriller. Expand
marshallm.Oct 12, 2005
On my top 5 fav list! captivating and original, u may need a second veiwing to get what it means, but you wont mind seeing it again and again and again.
ShankerN.Jun 5, 2005
Fiendishly clever. The sequencing of scenes is 60% backward in an incremental manner and 40% forward with flashbacks making it very difficult to untie the knots that the movie presents even before the story "begins". Nolan succeeds in Fiendishly clever. The sequencing of scenes is 60% backward in an incremental manner and 40% forward with flashbacks making it very difficult to untie the knots that the movie presents even before the story "begins". Nolan succeeds in putting the viewer in Leonard's shoes and grapple with the notion of truth. Memento enters philosophical realm in showing that the world we perceive is only as good as our memory. Expand
drlowdonApr 22, 2014
Following an attack in which his wife was killed insurance investigator Leonard Shelby suffered an injury that left him without short-term memory. Determined to track down the killer he is forced to make notes on scraps of paper or tattoo hisFollowing an attack in which his wife was killed insurance investigator Leonard Shelby suffered an injury that left him without short-term memory. Determined to track down the killer he is forced to make notes on scraps of paper or tattoo his body in order to provide clues for himself as his investigation slowly progresses.

Unusually the story itself is told in reverse starting with Leonard killing a man at the end of his investigation. Director Christopher Nolan then takes us backwards, scene by scene. These reversed scenes do overlap slightly in order that we know where we are but this is still a movie that requires full concentration to get the most from it. Featuring twists and turns aplenty Memento really is mesmerising viewing and by the time whole picture becomes clear most will be satisfied with the conclusion.
Bazsa1Jun 20, 2014
Christopher Nolan's Memento is movie that was surely a pain in the *ss to make. If the plot wasn't interesting and complex enough, they decided to put the scenes in reverse order and to have another storyline where the main character LeonardChristopher Nolan's Memento is movie that was surely a pain in the *ss to make. If the plot wasn't interesting and complex enough, they decided to put the scenes in reverse order and to have another storyline where the main character Leonard is talking on the phone with somebody. Both was a very interesting and innovative way to tell a story.
The story is about insurance investigator Leonard Shelby who has short term memory loss. He can't make new memories and he forgets everything what happened to him recently in about 5 or 10 minutes. His last memory is his wife dying. He decided to find the guy who killed her no matter what. He makes notes, tattoos, documents about the recently acquired information and takes photos of people he met, cars, places he was in recently and with these thing he tries to find the guys named John G.
Christopher Nolan's genius is perceivable in this movie. Showing us the scenes backwards is clever because it shows us how Leonard sees a situation. When a scene starts we know as much about his status as Leonard himself. That makes the viewer sympathize with him and acquaints him/her about his "condition". And later we find out why the other storyline is important to the whole story..
So many positive things, why do I give this movie only a 7? The film is brilliant in it's plot, it's cinematography, it's directing, it's dialogues. But apart from Sammy Jenkins's story it didn't make me feel anything. The more I used my brain while watching it the less emotions I felt. There was no moral at the end. Hell, there wasn't even any kind of end (you'll see). The movie didn't make any emotional connection with me. The mystery and the story was interesting and complex, but apart from that, it didn't make me want to watch it again.
Still, this movie is well-written and mind-bending, and if you liked any of Nolan's movies, you'll probably like this one too, but it's not as receptible as "Inception" or the Batman movies for example. You have to pay attention to the main story and to the tiny info bits too to fully understand it. And it's obvious that they worked their *sses off till the premiere. And I respect the effort they put in this film. I recommend watching it at least once if you like complex stories or Nolan's works, or both.
FranzHcriticMay 7, 2014
Perhaps one of the most original ideas and script for a film in last 20 something years, it's evenly-paced with scientific accuracy, great acting from Guy Pearce and Joe Pantoliano, and Nolan's brilliant direction to drive this this thrillerPerhaps one of the most original ideas and script for a film in last 20 something years, it's evenly-paced with scientific accuracy, great acting from Guy Pearce and Joe Pantoliano, and Nolan's brilliant direction to drive this this thriller as one of the more intricate ones. Expand
googolendtimesApr 23, 2014
A richly rewarding and incredibly innovative twist on the revenge thriller, Christopher Nolan's "Memento" features a standout performance from Guy Pearce and a story so intelligently and skilfully plotted and rendered, the payoff can makeA richly rewarding and incredibly innovative twist on the revenge thriller, Christopher Nolan's "Memento" features a standout performance from Guy Pearce and a story so intelligently and skilfully plotted and rendered, the payoff can make your jaw drop as all the pieces fall into place in your mind. Having only seen it once, I am conscious that perhaps my opinion may change with repeat viewings; however, "Memento" certainly makes the right first impression. It grips you, challenges you and, above all else, entertains you. Expand
usherd369Mar 31, 2014
Nolan's infamous protagonist played eloquently by Guy Pierce as well as the ordering remains to be the most memorably to Memento. These two aspects, as well as the plot being enticing enough to the viewer, carry the rest of the film intoNolan's infamous protagonist played eloquently by Guy Pierce as well as the ordering remains to be the most memorably to Memento. These two aspects, as well as the plot being enticing enough to the viewer, carry the rest of the film into 'great' territory. Still a must-see either way. Expand
AnasAL-MasriMar 14, 2014
the movie is great , the plot very well knit . I admire Mr Nolan about this work > I enjoy this movie very clever plot . It takes me a while to understand it .

I believe the story of the movie goes like this : the whole movie began when

I believe the story of the movie goes like this :

the whole movie began when Lenny was speaking on the phone with a cop about a drug-dealer called Jimmy Grants , Teddy who claimed to be the cop gave Lenny some details about Jimmy where he would be in order to kill him , Lenny took Jimmy's clothes and the car then made some fact about Teddy his car license in order to kill him earlier .
-the bar card from his pocket from Jimmy's suit which said " come after Natalie " this note suppose to be for jimmy not for him but he already didn't remember .

Natalie after she knows about his condition ,she used him to get rid of Doddy who asked her about the money drugs and what happened to Jimmy . here maybe Jimmy was her boyfriend ,she recognize the car and the clothes that Lenny used .
Sammi's story : I believe it's a side story to bind with Lenny to make the audience to think that Sammi is Lenny himself .
YewSpell8314Jun 26, 2014
There's not much to say about "Memento" without spoiling anything, so I'm just gonna say: Watch it. The film's narrative structure will blow your mind.
JudaManJan 15, 2015
This movie ...... it was a joy ride from beginning til end the whole thing just how it puts itself together is amazing and plays in reverse. The story is my favorite part. A man creates a strange system to help him remember things; so he canThis movie ...... it was a joy ride from beginning til end the whole thing just how it puts itself together is amazing and plays in reverse. The story is my favorite part. A man creates a strange system to help him remember things; so he can hunt for the murderer of his wife without his short-term memory loss being an obstacle. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015
Memory - it is one of the key elements that separates human beings from animals. It is one of the basic building blocks of personality. Who we are is shaped as much by our experiences as by our environment. Memory can also be unreliable, notMemory - it is one of the key elements that separates human beings from animals. It is one of the basic building blocks of personality. Who we are is shaped as much by our experiences as by our environment. Memory can also be unreliable, not to mention easily influenced. Ask three people to describe the same event, and none of those accounts will be the same. But, although memories are skewed by perspective, they are critical to the human experience. Memento is very much concerned with all aspects of memory, especially the manipulation of it, and this endlessly fascinating, wonderfully open-ended motion picture will be remembered by many who see it as one of the best films of the year.

When I initially saw Memento at the 2001 Sundance Film Festival, where it played in competition, I recognized this as a shoo-in for a spot on my year's end Top 10 list. There's no way this film could miss. Had it been released last year, it would have landed in the #1 or #2 position (right ahead of or behind Requiem for a Dream). This is a great motion picture, and, as an added bonus, it has a tremendous "replayability", meaning that subsequent viewings are almost as rewarding as the first. The only downside is that, with a small distributor like Newmarket Capital Group, it may be difficult to find, especially for those who don't live near major metropolitan areas.

Memento doesn't stop with a great premise. In fact, what really distinguishes this film is its brilliant, innovative structure. Nolan has elected to tell the story backwards. He starts at the end and finishes near the beginning. The main narrative is presented as a series of three-to-eight minute segments, each of which ends where the previous one began. A second thread, which starts at an unspecified time in the past and moves forward to intersect with the main storyline, is used to buffer the "reverse" segments as well as to provide background information. (It also tells the important "Sammy Jankis" story, which becomes increasingly important the deeper we get into the film.) Although this approach might at first seem confusing, it doesn't take long to get used to it, and to understand how well it works with this material.

By presenting events in Memento backwards, Nolan allows us to get into the mindset of the main character. Like Leonard, we don't have a clear indication of what happened before the current segment of time. We know some things from the past, but not the recent past. Like him, we are presented with numerous cryptic clues, some of which may mean something other than what they initially appear to represent. And, although it might seem that an approach which reveals the story's conclusion in the first five minutes would lack tension, that's far from the case. Memento builds to a surprising yet completely logical finale, and there's plenty of suspense along the way to keep the viewer riveted.

In some ways, Memento can almost be described as anti-Groundhog Day. (The presence of Stephen Tobolowsky in supporting roles in both movies strengthens the connection.) Both pictures toy with timelines and memory, but, while Groundhog Day re-treads one period of time, constantly re-shaping recent history, Memento represents the past as a vacuum. Bill Murray's character in the 1993 film has multiple memories of a single time period. Here, Leonard has none. Another movie that comes to mind when discussing Memento is the Dana Carvey comedy Clean Slate. The two films have pretty much the same premise, but, while Clean Slate does little with it, Memento draws every ounce of potential from this rich well.

Every festival has a defining film. Sometimes it wins awards; sometimes it doesn't. For Sundance 2001, Memento was that movie. Despite its diversity of genres, the festival couldn't boast anything better; now, in the bleak movie-going climate of early spring, Memento is poised to breathe life back into art houses and independent theaters that have been as stung as multiplexes by mediocre fare. For those who love films and don't mind endings that don't wrap everything into a tidy package, Memento is not to be missed, even if you have to make a long trip to reach a theater showing it.

When it comes to making a Top 10 list for 2001, one title I won't forget is Memento.
CinemaSinsMay 9, 2015

stoner839Feb 21, 2011
CooterPatooterMar 3, 2012
Another of my all-time favorites. Deep, compelling and always toeing the line of audaciousness. Great cast, genuinely original and watchable a dozen times over. A masterpiece that got swept under the rug years ago, shamefully.... AnAnother of my all-time favorites. Deep, compelling and always toeing the line of audaciousness. Great cast, genuinely original and watchable a dozen times over. A masterpiece that got swept under the rug years ago, shamefully.... An absolute must-watch!!! Expand
MovieGuysJun 27, 2014
As one of the first Nolan-esque movies of its kind, Memento and its director deserve a lot of credit. Movies like this must be so hard to write, film, and edit. The continuity issues, anachronisms, and the plot holes all have to be tied up inAs one of the first Nolan-esque movies of its kind, Memento and its director deserve a lot of credit. Movies like this must be so hard to write, film, and edit. The continuity issues, anachronisms, and the plot holes all have to be tied up in a nice little bow in order for it to work. Well, for the most part, Nolan has done the best he can with this complex-yet-simple, twisty-and-turny, flash-forward-flashback screenplay of his. The repetition and the way the story unfolds is pretty neat, and the cinematography is great thanks to Team Nolan's good ol' Wally Pfister. It's the type of Inception-ish movie where you have to be 100% focused on it at all times, and you have to be ready to think for a second. For the way the non-linear story plays out, it is a cinematic achievement, right up there with Pulp Fiction. Expand
tomtom4468Feb 4, 2013
This is an amazing movie, with an amazing concept, and an expert storyline to fit it. The idea of telling the story backwards is brilliant and works for his short-term memory loss. Guy Pearce was amazing in his role as Leonard Shelby. ThisThis is an amazing movie, with an amazing concept, and an expert storyline to fit it. The idea of telling the story backwards is brilliant and works for his short-term memory loss. Guy Pearce was amazing in his role as Leonard Shelby. This film makes it obvious as to why Christopher Nolan is the greatest modern director and writer. Expand
ypomoniJul 5, 2013
OK, you didn't expect that! Every way of the film, you think you know what's going to happen but you don't! it's got the right pace, right amount of suspense, and a brilliant twist. Christopher Nolan was making sure he was someone we shouldOK, you didn't expect that! Every way of the film, you think you know what's going to happen but you don't! it's got the right pace, right amount of suspense, and a brilliant twist. Christopher Nolan was making sure he was someone we should certainly pay attention to. Expand
FDT44Jan 2, 2011
Perplexing, Chilling, Stunning, Riveting--- following more puzzlement---- accompany this piece of work and paints a masterpiece of film-making with such precision that it requires multiple viewings just to make sense of it all. The ultimatePerplexing, Chilling, Stunning, Riveting--- following more puzzlement---- accompany this piece of work and paints a masterpiece of film-making with such precision that it requires multiple viewings just to make sense of it all. The ultimate thriller for the patient of mind. Expand
Nrich46Jul 19, 2011
The creative plot-line and story are the highlights of Christopher Nolan's film. He took what could have been an average story and made it really stand-out with his daring plot devices. The cinematographic elements are of above-averageThe creative plot-line and story are the highlights of Christopher Nolan's film. He took what could have been an average story and made it really stand-out with his daring plot devices. The cinematographic elements are of above-average quality, while the screenplay gives it's best fight at ruining the film altogether (aka the constant narration). It is an entertaining piece, could've been excellent with a few tweaks in the way of dialogue. (Officially I would give a 6.5, but that is not an option). Expand
PituG.Oct 26, 2003
At the end you don't care about any of the characters, the concept is a good one but the movie itself is unbearable.
1 of 6 users found this helpful
NazguleroNov 29, 2010
I now know what is wrong with Christopher Nolan movies. The characters are lifeless. They are not real people. There is no vulnerability, no character development, the dialogue is static and robotic. No real person speaks like that. I can seeI now know what is wrong with Christopher Nolan movies. The characters are lifeless. They are not real people. There is no vulnerability, no character development, the dialogue is static and robotic. No real person speaks like that. I can see the intention to create depths in the characters, but this is clearly not the way to do it. This movie is just nauseating to watch. From minute one, you see that the main character's hair is dyed...you wonder why that is. The way everyone looks is always...too deep, unreal, like they are on drugs, not connected to the real world. Expand
JuliusM.May 8, 2001
THE best movie I have seen this year, truly my vote for best foreing film. A work of art that is truly magnificent.
0 of 5 users found this helpful
JayC.Aug 15, 2001
This movie has absolutely no comedy in it. Its funny for the kids and the accent thing is cute but this is just stupid. I laughed once... Rent this for the kids they will laugh the first time they see it and then they will forget about it.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
thelordoffilmAug 13, 2010
Memento is not the first film by Christopher Nolan but itâ
Toby023May 27, 2011
I normally love Christopher Nolan films but memento was the worst film he has made in my opinion. Instead of his usual brilliance I found memento to be mediocre. But I did like the way that all the characters were reviled to be connected andI normally love Christopher Nolan films but memento was the worst film he has made in my opinion. Instead of his usual brilliance I found memento to be mediocre. But I did like the way that all the characters were reviled to be connected and not as they seem at the end. This however does not make up for the fact that there is no attachment between the viewer and the characters by the end of the film leaving the viewer unsatisfied and thinking the story could have been made a much shorter length. Expand
RodrigoBGCSep 28, 2011
Someone must tell to Christopher Nolan that is important that the characters of his movie must have a story or may be try to explain why are they there
RegOzApr 8, 2015
I truly think this movie is overrated. Probably because of its similarity with independent films, that are now being perceived -often rightfully- as intelligent, sophisticated, arty, and fashionable. The true is that, Memento is not a badI truly think this movie is overrated. Probably because of its similarity with independent films, that are now being perceived -often rightfully- as intelligent, sophisticated, arty, and fashionable. The true is that, Memento is not a bad movie but is not an excellent movie either. I believe that much of Memento's popularity, is due to its so-called complexity; yet, Memento is not complex, but convoluted and at times. That is precisely why it soon becomes redundant and monotonous. The script is original, and there are a few interesting twists, but the movie lacks substance and depth. Furthermore, as someone already mentioned, since the characters are not well developed, they feel lifeless and emotionless, so we never connect wit them. Memento's style is similar to that of The Machinist's, but while in The Machinist there are many sub-plots that draw the attention to both inner and outer conflicts, in Memento the plot is basic and there is nothing really thrilling on it apart from a medical condition. I believe Momento is a movie that many seek to enjoy mainly because of its uniqueness, but when carefully analysed, Memento reveals many flaws on its core. Originality is not enough to build an insightful, touching, intelligent, and well elaborated argument with a powerful message, but Memento is shallow; that is precisely why Memento is not brilliant but just slightly above average in its uniqueness. Expand
beingryanjudeAug 28, 2014
Memento is an overly fractured, complex thriller. Nolan gives, what he believes, enough evidence to the audience to allow us to create our own interpretation of the happenings.
SpangleMar 30, 2014
I used to hate this film, but after watching it again, that changed. Initially, I hated because of the way the story was told. While it is still aggravating to me the way the story progresses then jumps back and it really hinders my enjoymentI used to hate this film, but after watching it again, that changed. Initially, I hated because of the way the story was told. While it is still aggravating to me the way the story progresses then jumps back and it really hinders my enjoyment of the film, I appreciate it a lot more. Memento is brilliantly made by Christopher Nolan and Guy Pearce is great in the lead role. As we go back in time further and further, more of the picture becomes clear and it leads to many questions about who Leonard Shelby truly is and what actually went down. This really shows how memories can deceive you and, heck, even your own perceptions can deceive you

On the negative side, again, the way the story is told is aggravating. While I understand the purpose and am fine with backtracking, the aggravating part is when we backtrack and then it leads to something we already saw before. It just feels repetitive and overall, while it no longer kills it for me, it is still a major knock I have against this one.
adamSv94Feb 25, 2013
Just like "The Prestige", Christopher Nolan's "Memento" offers a very satisfying and unpredictable ending but the problem with "Memento" is that we have to watch about 90 minutes of nonsense in order to reach the last 20 minutes. This movieJust like "The Prestige", Christopher Nolan's "Memento" offers a very satisfying and unpredictable ending but the problem with "Memento" is that we have to watch about 90 minutes of nonsense in order to reach the last 20 minutes. This movie was a complete drag and a disappoinment after having heard so much good about it. Expand
ExKingMay 25, 2013
Christopher Nolan is my all time favorite director i enjoy all his movies i enjoy the fact that his movies are anything other than linear because it's make you think about it and connect the scenes together and make more sense if you watchChristopher Nolan is my all time favorite director i enjoy all his movies i enjoy the fact that his movies are anything other than linear because it's make you think about it and connect the scenes together and make more sense if you watch the movie again,
however i think that Nolan took it too far with this one cause in order for a Christopher Nolan movie to be great you have to enjoy each and every scene and have no idea what's next THAT'S ALL NOLAN MOVIES
but with Memento the curiosity is not about the next scene it's about when the movie ends and that's sad because when the level of mystery is 100% and everything don't make any sense you kinda loss interests in the movie and i know some people are impressed by the end because there is no end
but i find it a waste of 2 hours movie and yeah i didn't find Guy Pearce as a good actor in this one.
after all that being said i don't think the movie is bad i just didn't like it.
SEROJApr 23, 2015
Personal opinion... overrated! Im a huge fan of Chris Nolan but i think Memento really had its flaws and was diffenitely not a full 10... my PERSONAL score for it is 4/10 and i don't think you're going to hate it.. its just my personal score
DonTaiCMay 9, 2005
This movie had me going form the moment I clicked play. I found myself getting more and more into this thriller as the picture progressed. You will be shocked and saddened at the same time by the time this movie reaches it's surreal This movie had me going form the moment I clicked play. I found myself getting more and more into this thriller as the picture progressed. You will be shocked and saddened at the same time by the time this movie reaches it's surreal ending; or beginning as the case may be. Expand
LAWNov 9, 2001
So rarely you will find a piece with so much thought put into it. I was in awe of it's cleverness. Persons with ADD and no real sense of creative task could never understand this movie or enjoy the fact that this movie requires no true So rarely you will find a piece with so much thought put into it. I was in awe of it's cleverness. Persons with ADD and no real sense of creative task could never understand this movie or enjoy the fact that this movie requires no true resolve to be loved. Expand
KeesungK.Oct 26, 2001
I had to watch it three times. Backwards in third. (dvd can show the reason why you pay extra few buck sometimes) Great acting. Great ideas. Great film making. Gives me hope in this re-make-eye candy special effect-filled Hollywood trend era.
HeatherD.Oct 3, 2001
Sometimes it was a little too repetitive and drawn out. Overall great though.
FrankB.Sep 30, 2001
This movie was OK, but I think it is over-rated by the critics because of its artsy appeal. I found its repetitiveness to be annoying - along the lines of "Ground Hog Day" which is the only movie I ever fell asleep at in the movie theater.
AndrewM.Apr 4, 2004
Quite possibly, the most original concept for a film ever. Certainly the most unique that I have seen. At first I thought I wasn't going to like it and it was going to be cumbersome viewing, but after 30 mins or so I really got involved Quite possibly, the most original concept for a film ever. Certainly the most unique that I have seen. At first I thought I wasn't going to like it and it was going to be cumbersome viewing, but after 30 mins or so I really got involved and intrigued and, unlike some others, starting caring about the characters. Guy Pearce was outstanding (and not just because I'm an Aussie too). Carrie-Anne Moss and Joe Pantoliano were amazing too. A really interesting and well made film that begs re-watching. Expand
VictorC.Apr 2, 2005
One of the best films ever. Excellent storytelling. Excellent acting by all three leads. Excellent directing by Chris Nolan (can't wait for Batman Begins). Just . . . EXCELLENT!
JJul 27, 2007
A great thriller with a very cool existentialist subtext, especially at the end. I agree with Woob; you really need to see this movie at least twice to pick up all the foreshadowing clues (the superb editing hides these cleverly).
MackJan 6, 2009
This was one of my favorite movies upon first viewing. The only reason I won't give it a 10 is that it is never nearly as good as the first viewing. If you've never seen it before, just know that you will have to appreciate this This was one of my favorite movies upon first viewing. The only reason I won't give it a 10 is that it is never nearly as good as the first viewing. If you've never seen it before, just know that you will have to appreciate this movie upon first viewing. The method of telling this story puts you in the position of the character like no movie I've ever seen before. You truly do not know what characters to trust. Anyone who says they can see the ending coming is absolutely lying. It isn't a great ending but I don't know how you could possibly see that exact ending coming. Expand
CarlosM.Nov 5, 2001
A master-piece.
[Anonymous]Oct 21, 2001
So good, and so confusing.
DerekL.Apr 20, 2001
Did I tell you I liked this movie? You see there's this guy who has a friend but is he really his friend? Let me check that tattoo. No, not a friend. Did I tell you I liked this movie? And about that friend and the girlfriend. Let me Did I tell you I liked this movie? You see there's this guy who has a friend but is he really his friend? Let me check that tattoo. No, not a friend. Did I tell you I liked this movie? And about that friend and the girlfriend. Let me check my tattoo. Not to be trusted, the friend. Love that girlfriend. I loved this movie, did I tell you that already? What a nasty girlfriend? Let me check my tattoo. Not really my girlfriend. Must avenge wife. What a great move, did I tell you that? Must check tattoo. Friend, this is the best movie of the year, best since Fargo, in fact. Let me tell you why. Expand
OgD.May 11, 2001
This film kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Constantly wondering. Constantly changing my mind. What really happened? I'm still not sure exactly. My boyfriend and I have been debating it for days. I'll definitely be This film kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Constantly wondering. Constantly changing my mind. What really happened? I'm still not sure exactly. My boyfriend and I have been debating it for days. I'll definitely be seeing it again. And in contrast to some reviews I have read, I thought the characters were very well developed. The story was very touching and brought me almost to tears on several occasions. It?s both thrilling and heart felt. It's brilliant. It really makes you think. I recommend it to anyone with a bit of an attention span and who doesn't mind being the slightest bit confused....because that?s the magic of this fantastic script. Expand
JadeC.May 13, 2001
The movie is as interesting running backwards as if it were sequential. Every answer brings more questions, action demands a reason. A great psychological dilemma.
EmmaJun 2, 2001
I absolutely loved this movie! I've already seen it twice and can't wait to go again! This is the reason why I want to work with film, it inspires me.
AaronC.Jul 28, 2001
This is the best movie that I have seen this year and one of the best that I have ever seen. I saw this movie for the first time at Sundance, and I haven't stopped thinking about it since. I've seen it a second time, and it This is the best movie that I have seen this year and one of the best that I have ever seen. I saw this movie for the first time at Sundance, and I haven't stopped thinking about it since. I've seen it a second time, and it definitely holds up to repeat viewings. I can't wait until it comes out on video Sept. 4. Expand
RyanM.Aug 13, 2001
It's extremely hard to find any flaws at all. Pearce has established himself completely and tells us that he can do anything, and the supporting cast is quite hard to forget. Either the next "Citizen Kane" comes out, or this is one of It's extremely hard to find any flaws at all. Pearce has established himself completely and tells us that he can do anything, and the supporting cast is quite hard to forget. Either the next "Citizen Kane" comes out, or this is one of the best films of the decade. Expand
JeffW.Aug 18, 2001
A true masterpeice. Unlike any movie I have ever seen, everything about it is unique. It leaves you with a feeling of sympathy for Leonard, and satisfication.
MarkK.Sep 10, 2001
Amazing film that makes you think about the simplest of things, entertains, and has amazing performances. gold.
NedD.Sep 14, 2001
Best movie of 2001? You betcha. Like "Requiem for a Dream" the year before, here is the only true original of the year. Spellbinding in its cleverness, originality and daring. Brilliant. You won't see anything like it this year.
AleksanderB.Oct 28, 2002
Oh yeah!!
AndrewE.Apr 13, 2002
The best movie I've ever seen. Pearce is almost better than the amazing screenplay.
AraceA.Jun 24, 2002
Movie owns joo all hands down no questions asked but it made me dizzy and i loved it kinda like a roller coster kinda sweet buy thiz stuff nowz!!!!!
M.SimõesJun 7, 2002
It is definitely one of the most well structured movies I have ever seen, Intersting and mentally stimulating. It's one of the few films that made me walk away tired, I love it, your mind races to keep up with the whole of the story.
ZachP.Aug 28, 2002
If I were Leonard, I'd stop looking for the killer and replace all my tattoos with two words: Watch Memento. Brilliant.
AlexK.Aug 5, 2002
Exhilirating... nothing like it before. Entertainingly twisted, just going through the movie as Leonard, not knowing what just happened, and why you're doing this. Great job by Pearce... overall, one of the best movies of all time.
FeliciaN.Mar 23, 2003
I find that Guy Pearce is an excellent actor of our time.He was great in The Count Of Monte Cristo,The Time Machine and of coarse Memento.I hope to see him in some new films as well.
TobyB.Jul 7, 2003
If I had a top ten of all time movie list - this would definately be on it and probably near the top - It is truly orginal, brilliantlly acted, fantastically shot, sublimely edited and wow, what a twist - you must see NOW
DJONE3Aug 7, 2003
10++++ If You Havent Seen This Movie Your Thought Process Is Past Scrwed Up!! In as small town that I live in this is the Ultimate unheard of movie!!