6.3

1. Oct 2, 2011
    "Men in Black 2" entertains the audience with joy, but it's not worth it compared to its prequel.
  2. Oct 27, 2010
    a poor excuse for a sequel felt like the same plot almost from the first with jones and smith reversing there roles abit. the jokes wernt as good and after seeing it i could care less to ever see it again . a very forgettable film.
  3. Dec 8, 2012
    A good sequel. Sexy, soulful and entertaining.
  4. Sep 1, 2013
    While still a worthy sequel, MIB II goes for a bit more of a comedic route which works pretty well but at the same time in small doses is the way to go. Everything we loved about the first film is still present here which is great, and its great to have the main players back as well as some new additions. As far as sequels go its not up there as the best, and I feel the third was betterWhile still a worthy sequel, MIB II goes for a bit more of a comedic route which works pretty well but at the same time in small doses is the way to go. Everything we loved about the first film is still present here which is great, and its great to have the main players back as well as some new additions. As far as sequels go its not up there as the best, and I feel the third was better than this one, but overall it will still appeal to the same audiences of the original Expand
  5. May 16, 2012
    man, you can make James bond, mission impossible and tons of secret agents films but this is the most original thing I've ever seen, maybe not as good as the original but still pretty good film for me
  6. May 26, 2012
    Hey guys, good job on rating the game with your only point being stupid upvoters.
    The movie is great, while not as great as the first one still delivers and is very watchable.
  7. DaveS.
    Jan 11, 2007
    This is probably the worst sequel ever made - bar none. A zero is fair due to the moronic upvoters.
  8. AlanG
    Jun 17, 2010
    Although it's not as good as 1, it's still cool.
  9. Joe
    Jul 12, 2002
    An educational experience and it showed us wat the government is really up to and canser is caused by the flashy thing!!!!! a very good documentary.
  10. Oct 28, 2010
    not as good as the original, but this was definitely worth a shot.
  11. Sep 20, 2011
    Definitely not as good as the original, but it is a sequel, so such is expected. Still has some funny moments, and Jones once again delivers amazingly. Boyle, on the other hand, did a very poor job. Some of the fight choreography was just corny when compared to the original. The after effects of the neuralizer are altered a bit. Story isn't as neat as the first. All in all, it's enjoyable,Definitely not as good as the original, but it is a sequel, so such is expected. Still has some funny moments, and Jones once again delivers amazingly. Boyle, on the other hand, did a very poor job. Some of the fight choreography was just corny when compared to the original. The after effects of the neuralizer are altered a bit. Story isn't as neat as the first. All in all, it's enjoyable, but not lovable. Expand
  12. Aug 13, 2012
  13. Mar 14, 2013
    Not as bad as many claim it is, but no where as good either. Considering the tone and standard the first movie left, this movie was a step backwards. Replaying all the jokes from the first movie (except then they were fresh and funny.) Overall: While it still is enjoyable, it really does feel more like a cheap cash-in.
  14. Jun 20, 2013
    A pretty pedestrian sequel that while entertaining lacks a lot of the fun of its predecessor. It was close between a 5 or a 6, but it's fun enough for a mild recommendation.
  15. Nov 13, 2013
    More or less, the usual sequel. The comedy and thrills desiccate within the end of the first half, and they fail to recuperate. I'l say this; the chemistry of Lee Jones and Smith never gives way to the overdrawn plot and characters
  16. Feb 3, 2014
    Not as good as the original at all. MIB II doesn't have the same energy or charisma the first installment had, and doesn't have any memorable moments.
  17. Nov 12, 2013
    The Men in Black are back.
    A fair sequel with enjoyable moments of charming humor, Men in Black II continues it's successful run with a similar plot but advanced wit.
  18. Taxpayer
    Jul 6, 2002
    A movie with so much wasted potential is not just bad, but sad. The original's dry humor and sheer cleverness are absolutely gone, and the new dialogue is amazingly stale (so stale that Will Smith's character says "I'm going to lay the smackdown on your candy ass" in one scene). I truly liked MIB 1, but this movie overwhelms you with the sense that it's just an attempt A movie with so much wasted potential is not just bad, but sad. The original's dry humor and sheer cleverness are absolutely gone, and the new dialogue is amazingly stale (so stale that Will Smith's character says "I'm going to lay the smackdown on your candy ass" in one scene). I truly liked MIB 1, but this movie overwhelms you with the sense that it's just an attempt to cash in. Why else would there be a Sprint Store prominently displayed in MIB headquarters? Expand
  19. D.D.
    Jul 3, 2002
    They were too busy striking merchandising deals to write a decent script. It moves at too fast a pace (barely 90 minutes) and glossed over Linda Fiorentinos' absence ("she missed the morgue...") come on! Had potential, cranked up great with Warburtons' performance; fizzled out fast.
  20. SusanS.
    Jul 20, 2002
    A watered-down of the original. I enjoyed the relationship between Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones from the first one, and here, although still funny, I felt like I was watching two men acting in a movie because they had nothing better to do. The script was hackneyed, some of the scenes were unconnected, and it was over way too fast and simply. One could tell that they made it because the A watered-down of the original. I enjoyed the relationship between Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones from the first one, and here, although still funny, I felt like I was watching two men acting in a movie because they had nothing better to do. The script was hackneyed, some of the scenes were unconnected, and it was over way too fast and simply. One could tell that they made it because the first one was a hit and this one could make some bucks, but they forgot that it shouldn't just be an extension from the first--it needs its own legs to stand on. It is fun to watch, and the two leads definitely have some great chemistry. If the you need a break, take the kids, but don't go to this movie looking for terrific entertainment. Expand
  21. RobertH.
    Jul 4, 2002
    Where to begin? I was eagerly looking forward to MIB II hoping that it would recapture the fun and spirit of the original. Instead, I found all the surprise of anticpating a thirst quenching soda on a hot summers day only to find that the fizz was gone and the soda was totally flat. I did learn that Will Smith without Tommy Lee Jones cannot carry his jock. Smith, whom I love as an actor, Where to begin? I was eagerly looking forward to MIB II hoping that it would recapture the fun and spirit of the original. Instead, I found all the surprise of anticpating a thirst quenching soda on a hot summers day only to find that the fizz was gone and the soda was totally flat. I did learn that Will Smith without Tommy Lee Jones cannot carry his jock. Smith, whom I love as an actor, was hopelessly lost until Jones arrived midway through this abreviated drek. The acting, the script, and the directing were all dismal. The special effects were teriffic. Where did it all go wrong? Expand
  22. JakeM.
    Jul 4, 2002
    Sweet! The only problem is its too short, i would love to see more of this film.
  23. CharlesM.
    Jul 7, 2002
    Better than the critics give it credit for being. The talking dog, Frank, is a hoot!
  24. SteveC.
    Jul 7, 2002
    Although short, a wildly entertaining ride. The only other movie I remember laughing so hard at was the original.
  25. JessicaP.
    Jul 8, 2002
    And I thought this show was good. It's just like a repeat of the first one, but worse. Or do I just think aliens are a stupid idea to make into a movie?
  26. P.Zawa
    Aug 2, 2002
    Just plain boring. And not funny.
  27. JFKar
    Aug 4, 2002
    It had something old, not much new, a lot that was borrowed, and stank - PU! It was such a disappointment to us and our kids, we all went home and watched the video of the first MiB movie! When you do that, you really notice the contrast between the two! Frank (the pug) funny -- the first couple of times. After that he suffered badly from over-exposure and you just wanted to kick him. It had something old, not much new, a lot that was borrowed, and stank - PU! It was such a disappointment to us and our kids, we all went home and watched the video of the first MiB movie! When you do that, you really notice the contrast between the two! Frank (the pug) funny -- the first couple of times. After that he suffered badly from over-exposure and you just wanted to kick him. The worms are cool, though. They should star in MiB 3 - and replace the rest of the cast with new characters. Expand
  28. SteveD.
    Dec 6, 2002
    It's not really bad, just really bland. While I never cringed, I think I chuckled once. This is the worst kind of movie because at least if it would have been outrageously bad it would have been fun to mock.
  29. Richard
    Dec 9, 2002
    Starts off really well but runs out of steam in its last half hour, with the antics reeking of desperation after a while. Tommy Lee Jones, however, is equally good in the crap parts and the fun parts.
  30. KenL.
    Jul 17, 2002
    Ug. What a disappointment. The movie was a near replica of the first, story-wise. Fortunately, the movie was pretty short, so the length of torture you must sit through is shortened. Johnny Noxville is a terrible man. He just plain sux. Both of the evil villains in the movie ruined it. I liked the first MiB, but this one.....this just sucked balls.
  31. MikeH.
    Jul 22, 2002
    An unoriginal movie which was puked from the depths of pop culture hell.
  32. ChadS.
    Jul 22, 2002
    They take too long to neuralize K. Lara Flynn Boyle has a lot of arms. So what. And did the dog die during the middle of production? He sort of disappears. I liked that dog.
  33. MatthewS.
    Jul 4, 2002
    Thin, airy sequel that lacks the freshness and impact of the original--all of which would be fine if the movie could still deliver the same laughs and entertainment of the first. The problem is--it doesn't.
  34. JonathanD.
    Jul 6, 2002
    What an incredible disappointment. The original MIB was a great movie, but this one is lacking the humor and atmosphere of the first. You'll laugh occasionally, but I really can't find anything else besides the effects that would make this worth seeing. Men in Black, indeed.
  35. AG
    Aug 24, 2002
    If you like "MIB" and want to see "MIB2". Just stay home and watch the first one. This is all you'll be missing... A second-rate script where characters disappear half way through the movie, Will Smith & Tommy Lee Jones going through the motions and never reallly getting back into thier parts and depression that this movie was even made. They say they'll be making a "MIB3", I If you like "MIB" and want to see "MIB2". Just stay home and watch the first one. This is all you'll be missing... A second-rate script where characters disappear half way through the movie, Will Smith & Tommy Lee Jones going through the motions and never reallly getting back into thier parts and depression that this movie was even made. They say they'll be making a "MIB3", I personally can't wait...well that's hoping that they'll learn from thier mistakes. Expand
  36. AppleH.
    Sep 10, 2002
    Loved the original. Tommy, Will dudes if you make a movie just to pick up a paycheck it shows. This MIB is a dud. The dudes just went through the motions. Boring!
  37. B.S.
    Jan 15, 2003
    Way to crap up the movie jay.
    Feb 3, 2006
    This movie is mostly recycled MIB, with new parts that waver between bad and good. Frank and the worms score some moments, though, as well as some other aliens. Overall, though, there are better choices in this genre.
  39. RyanT.
    Jul 25, 2002
    This film is basically a second rate version of the first MIB at best. The movie has dumb humor and a horrible storyline. I don't know if I am actually a competent person to review the movie because I started to daydream after about midway through. The movie is just a cash in and by far nowhere as good as the orginal.
  40. M.H.K.
    Jul 25, 2002
    I couldn't see any improvement comparing with the previous MIB. It looks like they tried very hard to fill the 2hours time. I'm VERY disappointed with this sequel.
  41. PatC.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Once in a while a movie comes along that, as a sequel, is both enjoyable and enhances the memory of viewing the original hit. This is not that movie.
  42. AndrewM.
    May 26, 2004
    It's witty, entertaining and energetic...but not as witty, entertaining and energetic as the original...what a surprise! The dog-doing-Gloria-Gaynor was hilarious though. 'Nuff said.
  43. Gilbert
    Nov 22, 2002
    Well...it's not actively bad, but it's not actively good either. It's just active. But hey, "2" movies usually aren't that great (Die Hard 2, Back To The Future Part II, Lethal Weapon 2, Freddy Got Fingered 2...kidding) because the "2" movie is the one they make to cash in. Then, when they realise it wasn't very good, they make a sequel that's better (Die Well...it's not actively bad, but it's not actively good either. It's just active. But hey, "2" movies usually aren't that great (Die Hard 2, Back To The Future Part II, Lethal Weapon 2, Freddy Got Fingered 2...kidding) because the "2" movie is the one they make to cash in. Then, when they realise it wasn't very good, they make a sequel that's better (Die Hard With A Vengeance, Back To The Future Part III, Lethal Weapon 3), since, because the "2" wasn't so good, they'll need to put a little more effort to cash-in this time. MiB III ought to rock bells. Trust me. Expand
  44. MichelleP.
    Nov 27, 2002
    To tell you the truth, the first one grossed me out (I can't stand cockroaches), but this one (though the plot was weak) kept me more entertained and I felt it was much funnier. The nice thing was that they put more of Frank and the Space Worms (both of them are my favorite characters) in it. But I will admit, there were some dissapointments for me. I was hoping to see the tight To tell you the truth, the first one grossed me out (I can't stand cockroaches), but this one (though the plot was weak) kept me more entertained and I felt it was much funnier. The nice thing was that they put more of Frank and the Space Worms (both of them are my favorite characters) in it. But I will admit, there were some dissapointments for me. I was hoping to see the tight relationship between Mr.Smith and Mr.Jones, that the first one had, but it didn't seem like it had that. They should've made this movie longer, but overall I loved it. Expand
  45. Feb 24, 2015
    I often hear the question "can sequels surpass their original?

Well in MIB2, this isn't the case, it is nowhere near as good as the first, which I loved by the way. I was glad that Will Smith & Tommy Lee Jones were back, but wasn't completely convinced by Laura Flynn Boyle. Was disappointed to see that Linda Fiorentino was missing from the cast, as I felt she added some much
    I often hear the question "can sequels surpass their original?

Was disappointed to see that Linda Fiorentino was missing from the cast, as I felt she added some much needed glamour to the first film.

Here's hoping they improve for MIB 3.
  46. Apr 23, 2015
    Men in Black II would be a thoroughly entertaining affair if it wasn't for one thing: the plot. The annoying and pointless storyline is a constant irritant because it diverts our attention from the real reason to see this movie - the easygoing chemistry between actors Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. These two slide so smoothly into their odd couple, buddy roles that an enjoyable motionMen in Black II would be a thoroughly entertaining affair if it wasn't for one thing: the plot. The annoying and pointless storyline is a constant irritant because it diverts our attention from the real reason to see this movie - the easygoing chemistry between actors Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith. These two slide so smoothly into their odd couple, buddy roles that an enjoyable motion picture could be made by having them sit next to each other and trade quips. Unfortunately, Men in Black II decides to surround these characters with a narrative that is so limp and idiotic that it can't even stand up when judged by the standards of comedies, let alone those of science fiction adventures.

Aside from the Jones/Smith camaraderie, one could easily argue that Men in Black II's most prominent asset is its brevity. This movie clocks in at 80 minutes (!) - a laudable trait in an era when films tend to be bloated and overlong. Then again, the subject matter of Men in Black II is so anemic than it can't effectively sustain even its skinny running length, so, unlike its crisp predecessor, it feels protracted. That's a sure sign that director Barry Sonnenfeld didn't have much to work with.

One of the film's supposed selling points is its special effects. However, the CGI work - as has too often become the case in recent years - calls attention to itself. The chief monster, played in human form by Lara Flynn Boyle, is as obviously a special effect as any creature to come along in the last five-or-so years. The rest of the aliens look like Star Wars rejects. These kinds of visual effects were a lot more impressive in 1997, when the original Men in Black arrived in multiplexes. Back then, CGI wasn't as all-pervasive as it is today. Then, its use seemed creative. Now, it seems lazy.

The movie delivers what most people will be expecting it to deliver. Will Smith has his share of very funny moments. Tommy Lee Jones is the consummate straight man. There are aliens everywhere - big, small, furry, not-so-furry... If there could be said to be a "Men in Black" formula, this movie follows it rigorously. That's one of Men in Black II's chief problems - this is not a spontaneous joyride into science fiction comedy; it's a product. It was put together with one thing in mind - bringing the same people together on-screen in the hope that the box-office numbers will be similar.

Viewed as a cartoon come to life, Men in Black II does the job, albeit barely. It's not nearly as fresh or enjoyable as its predecessor, but there are enough high points to keep this from being a complete waste of time. For those who want more of the same - go ahead, throw down your eight bucks. Men in Black II took five years and a number of false starts to reach the screen because of behind-the-scenes difficulties. Hopefully, no matter how much money this movie makes, those troubles will prevent there from being a Men in Black III. This franchise has already run out of steam. Let the Men in Black loosen their ties and rest in peace.

1. Short, flashy and about as complex as a beer belch, Men in Black II is also brisk. The film clocks in at 88 minutes total running time, and it's loaded with new special effects and monsters.
  2. Michael Jackson is an alien? Tell me something I don't know.
    Would be a thoroughly entertaining affair if it wasn't for one thing: the plot. The annoying and pointless storyline is a constant irritant because it diverts our attention from the real reason to see this movie - the easygoing chemistry between actors Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith.