6.9

1. Mar 14, 2013
    This was a cash grab and should have never been made. There is to much talent for a movie this bad. More than the other two the aliens in this movie are extremely annoying.
  2. Apr 23, 2015
    The problem with some franchises is that the studios don't know when it's time to quit. The lackluster nature of Men in Black II should have been a hint to Sony that the Men in Black series had run its course. Now, at least ten years beyond the "sell by" date, along comes Men in Black III. This sequel is so lifeless and pointless that it moves beyond "unnecessary" into the realm ofThe problem with some franchises is that the studios don't know when it's time to quit. The lackluster nature of Men in Black II should have been a hint to Sony that the Men in Black series had run its course. Now, at least ten years beyond the "sell by" date, along comes Men in Black III. This sequel is so lifeless and pointless that it moves beyond "unnecessary" into the realm of "unwanted" and "insulting." The public's lack of enthusiasm for this movie is matched only by the apparent disinterest evident in the production. Those who don't understand what it means for an actor to "sleepwalk" through a performance need only watch Men in Black III; there's no shortage of examples.

If there's a bright spot to be found in Men in Black III, it's Josh Brolin, whose dead-on impersonation of Tommy Lee Jones makes the real actor seem like an imposter. Brolin seems to be having fun, which is more than can be said about the people sitting in theater seats enduring this **** There's also something odd about Jones' make-up job. It's unclear whether it's intended to make him look older or younger. The actor is 65; we learn that K is supposedly 72. It makes no sense, however, that latex applications would be used to add seven years to Jones' age. The end result is that the actor looks like a waxwork from Madame Tussauds that has been left out in the sun too long and is starting to melt.

Visually, Men in Black III looks like it was made on a budget roughly equivalent to that of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. The CGI is awful, the "creature effects" are about 30 years out-of-date, and the 3-D is an abomination. It's inexplicable why anyone thought Men in Black III would be improved by the darkening and blurriness that accompanies a poor post-production conversion, but that's the case here. All the usual problems with inept 3-D are in evidence. (The company to do the work on Men in Black III is reportedly the same one that botched Clash of the Titans and The Green Lantern.) Still, considering the quality of the project, this isn't a case where it's better avoiding the surcharge and seeing the 2-D version; this is a case where it's better avoiding it in any D.

Most summers, there's a sequel that underperforms relative to expectations. My money is on Men in Black III for 2012. It's hard to imagine how any movie-goer could legitimately claim to be entertained by this mess. The action is sloppy and limited. The comedy is perfunctory. The lack of energy and craftsmanship is shocking. It's a poor option, even as a temporary diversion. (To add insult to injury, there is no post-credits Easter egg.) Men in Black III is to this franchise what Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was to that one. It's hard to be more definitive about how this movie experience plays out.
  3. May 30, 2012
    Disappointing in almost every respect, bad special effects, bad soundtrack, bad performances, bad history, in short almost everything wrong, perhaps saved by their shared sense of humor that you produced a laugh at least one occasion. otherwise this film follows the rule that if a series is "good", the trilogy is the worst thing you can do.
  4. Jun 4, 2012
    The first one was pretty good, the second was awful and surprise, surprise, Men in Black 3 actually turned out okay. It was fun and filled to the brim with interesting visuals and fresh, new ideas. I cringed at times for some of the humor, but it had its moments. I liked the exclusion of the Pug, and most of all, I enjoyed Josh Brolin's spot on impersonation of young Agent K. I didn't goThe first one was pretty good, the second was awful and surprise, surprise, Men in Black 3 actually turned out okay. It was fun and filled to the brim with interesting visuals and fresh, new ideas. I cringed at times for some of the humor, but it had its moments. I liked the exclusion of the Pug, and most of all, I enjoyed Josh Brolin's spot on impersonation of young Agent K. I didn't go into this expecting anything remotely close to the original, and it wasn't. It has lost a lot of the charm and appeal that was present in the original,15 years ago. The screenplay was at times weak and some of the time travel logic questionable, but that was easy to ignore. This is by no means anything special and I will probably forget about the movie in a day or two, but I enjoyed MIB3 for what it was. Expand
  5. Jun 2, 2012
    Sadly a pretty weak movie with nice special effects. James Brolin was brilliant in his role, Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith both dialed in their performances..I just couldnt get into, nor buy into the story. On another note, I didnt realize the world was pining for another MiB movie....
  6. Jul 22, 2012
    The idea was good, but poorly executed. This is more of a children's movie, MIB 2 was much better, with funny jokes, including the one with Frankie singing, hilarious.
  7. May 25, 2012
    Except for the J and K, acting of every other character is a pain to watch. The plot is even more shallow than you would expect for an MIB movie. The ending "secret" which is suppose to be shocking, tear bringing or whatever , is totally bland and feels irrelevant, because the movie has not take time to build the story up to support such plot twist - therefore the audiences would feelExcept for the J and K, acting of every other character is a pain to watch. The plot is even more shallow than you would expect for an MIB movie. The ending "secret" which is suppose to be shocking, tear bringing or whatever , is totally bland and feels irrelevant, because the movie has not take time to build the story up to support such plot twist - therefore the audiences would feel minimal emotional involvement toward the climax.

The action scene and special effect which suppose to be the selling point is nothing noteworthy. The style and theme are suppose to pay homage to the '70 feel, but all they achieve is a superficial and cheesy re-imagining.
  8. Jun 14, 2012
    This is not the worst movie I have ever seen, though probably the worst that cost triple million figures to make. I don't know where that money went, since the special effects seem to have escaped from some flick from the mid to late 90s, that hand-palm CG looked no better than Scorpion's "Get over here" deal from the Mortal Kombat movie! Of course, special effects aren't the only limitingThis is not the worst movie I have ever seen, though probably the worst that cost triple million figures to make. I don't know where that money went, since the special effects seem to have escaped from some flick from the mid to late 90s, that hand-palm CG looked no better than Scorpion's "Get over here" deal from the Mortal Kombat movie! Of course, special effects aren't the only limiting factor of any movie, but MIB III does no better on the acting or story front - Will Smith seems so subdued and robotic I found myself looking at the back of his neck for a body-snatching Alien, alas nothing doing. I doubt any intelligent actor who read the script would sign on unless a giant sack with a dollar sign was involved...hey, wait a minute, maybe that is where those hundreds of millions went! Apart from Lee Jones and Brolin, all the other actors were unfamiliar to me, most couldn't act a dime, and I am guessing the producers cheaped out on the rest of the cast because of you know...the matter of Smith's fee. The plot involving time travel is trite, underwhelming, cliche ridden...most of the effects laden action happens in the fist half of the proceedings, and then in the second things almost slow down to a crawl through Molasses, with no witty jokes, interesting exposition, good banter or anything, if by this point you haven't escaped to the Lobby and decide to stick it out you find the situation doesn't improve and the whole thing fizzles to a less than lukewarm climax. What interested me with the movie was it cribbed from some unlikely movies I have seen like Fright Night Part 2 (1988), Dead Heat (1988), and
    Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey to name but a few, however MIB III doesn't even have half the energy of those movies. Most non discriminating viewers will probably have an okay time with it, it isn't out-rightly unpleasant or anything, but every aspect of the movie is so flat and dull, it tries for a sense of whimsy & wonderment but the movie is constantly at war with its own half-hardheartedness and sadly loses.
  9. May 26, 2012
    Oh my... what a waste of time! I hoped MIB3 would amazed me, it did, but in a total opposite way. The story line could not excite me in any way, 3D viewing experience was almost the worst I have seen, there is no point to watch the 3D version even you are a fan of Will Smith. Overall it is a boring movie and I should have chosen to watch The Dictator or even to watch The Avengers is betterOh my... what a waste of time! I hoped MIB3 would amazed me, it did, but in a total opposite way. The story line could not excite me in any way, 3D viewing experience was almost the worst I have seen, there is no point to watch the 3D version even you are a fan of Will Smith. Overall it is a boring movie and I should have chosen to watch The Dictator or even to watch The Avengers is better than this. Collapse
  10. Jun 24, 2012
    There are many things that shouldn't have happened in this world, Nazi Germany, Mai Lai you can now add Men In Black 3 to that list. A film which should have been dumped somewhere in 2004's movie schedule. But instead trumps everyone and comes in 10 year after the last time (Which I quite enjoyed). It's not a good sign that the filmmakers stopped production 1/2 way through because theyThere are many things that shouldn't have happened in this world, Nazi Germany, Mai Lai you can now add Men In Black 3 to that list. A film which should have been dumped somewhere in 2004's movie schedule. But instead trumps everyone and comes in 10 year after the last time (Which I quite enjoyed). It's not a good sign that the filmmakers stopped production 1/2 way through because they discovered that this piece of **** doesn't make sense. Jolly Will Smith then steps in to save the day with this god-awful time travel plot. The story has more holes then a sieve. Arrr and it cost so much money, $225million and for what? Will Smiths wage? There is no big time action set pieces and shoddy CGI. And it has the campiest villain since Battlefield Earth. Expand
  11. May 29, 2012
    Although not a bad movie, it really wasn't particularly good either. Overall, it seemed relatively lifeless with less humor than the first 2 outings with a more serious tone overall that doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of the first 2 movies of the series.

I do admire the job Josh Brolin did in replicating a younger Tommy Lee Jones, but it wasn't enough to save the movie from being a rather uninspired and, definitely for me, completely forgettable movie. It's only been one day since I've seen the movie, and I've already forgotten about 1/2 of it (it was that boring).

However, it was nice to go back to see the MIB crew, even if it was rather dull.
  12. Jun 9, 2012
    I registered with this site just to write this review about MIB 3D because I have a complaint about the way the filmmakers used the 3D technology and I feel it's fair to warn others about the effects. While the film was in 3D enabling you to choose to focus on foreground or background objects, for most of the picture the filmmakers chose to use selective focus so that if you did have aI registered with this site just to write this review about MIB 3D because I have a complaint about the way the filmmakers used the 3D technology and I feel it's fair to warn others about the effects. While the film was in 3D enabling you to choose to focus on foreground or background objects, for most of the picture the filmmakers chose to use selective focus so that if you did have a moment where you chose to "focus" on something in the background, it would still be out of focus. In my opinion, this sort of defeats the purpose of having a film in 3D while also increasing the difficulty of adjusting to the 3D techniques themselves. Foreground objects seem to pop preternaturally out from the jumbled mess of out-of-focus scenery. You're eyes spend time adjusting between close, super-focused actors and trying to focus on something in the background which never comes in to focus anyway. Maybe others aren't bothered by this, but if you compare this effect with a film in which 3D is used correctly, this difference is striking. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Scott Tobias
    May 29, 2012
    Sonnenfeld's best movies function like elaborate Rube Goldberg contraptions, with visual gags popping out on a precise calibration of gears and springs, and Cohen's script, however derivative, is a stable apparatus.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 25, 2012
    What we're left with is a thoroughly mediocre, shrug-generating disappointment -- and one that certainly doesn't feel like it should have cost more than a third of a billion dollars to make and market.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael O'Sullivan
    May 25, 2012
    This third outing climaxes with a dark and melodramatic twist that, while adding a layer of nuance and back story that the previous two films never had, also feels wildly out of sync with its audience's expectations.