6.9

1. Nov 14, 2013
    Hard to pick up at times, and lacking Lee Jones' cynicism which Brolin's performance was not able to recuperate, despite him being a decent replacement (for over half of the entire movie, it should have been just Smith and Brolin). Special effects were the best part. I found the movie (overall) as almost tedious except for several smartly written scenes. I do not recommend a fourth film.
  2. Nov 12, 2013
    It's nice to see a new MIB movie. It's got a great mix of humor and action. Josh Brolin nails it as young agent K, Will Smith brings his expected excellence, and it's just an all around good movie. It's not the best MIB, the time travel plot is decent, but it takes some familiar and predictable turns. The villain in this movie also isn't the most memorable. Still if you're a fan of the series then you'll enjoy this. Hopefully this is a start of a return for the MIB series. Expand
  3. Jul 29, 2013
    The formula for trilogies is simple, the first one is amazing, the second one is terrible, and the third one is pretty good. Almost all trilogies seem to follow this format, but Men In Black has always played by a different set of rules and as it turns out, the third film was far and away the best of the trilogy. In this installment of MIB, the notorious Boris The Animals escapes from his prison on the Moon. This is significant, because putting Boris away is what made Agent K's career and cost Boris an arm. Boris, determined to change things, goes back in the past to kill K. Once he does, everything descends into chaos and the Earth is at risk, so Agent J, goes back in time to stop him. Once in 1969, J enters into a strange new world where he sees that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Josh Brolin plays the younger K and is absolutely terrific, it was amazing and hysterical how he captures and mimics every single one of Tommy Lee Jones mannerisms to a tee. Will Smith is his usual self, with his quick one liners and terrific actions scenes, he hasn't missed a beat, even all these years later. For as good as the acting in this film was, the story is even better. Watching this film it's hard to believe the story is based on a comic book, because the writing really was tremendous. They took a step back and show what MIB and it's agents were like 40 years ago, at the very beginning and it was really interesting to see. Men In Black 3 is far and away the best of the trilogy and one of Will Smith's best films in years. Science Fiction is usual a narrow genre, that isn't for everyone, but this film does have something for everyone and for that it gets the label of a can't miss movie. Expand
  4. Jul 21, 2013
    Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones are back after a decade, and most movie-goers barely remember the plot for MIB 2. But it doesn't matter, the third installment refreshes your memory and adds a whole new dimension--the past. Time-travel movies are always interesting and always problematic because of the classic paradoxes that are caused by time travel: 1) the predestination paradox and the similar bootstrap paradox, where going back into time causes the future to change, creating an endless loop (e.g. I know a secret that I whisper to President Lincoln after traveling to the past, and he uses the secret to win the Civil War, which leads to the modern US and my birth, where I learn a secret that I take back to whisper to President Lincoln, and so on); 2) the grandfather paradox, where visiting the past might cause the death of your grandfather or some other event that will prevent your birth, in which case you were never born and you can't travel back to the past.

This film tries to address that--Agent K's nemesis, Boris the Animal is in jail on the moon, one arm shot off by K, and after 40 years of imprisonment, Boris breaks out and he wants to go back to 1969, the day K shot his arm off and arrested him, to kill K before he loses his arm. Boris gets a time-travel device from a geeky genius, goes back to 1969 and kills K. Suddenly the present changes--K disappears, a young family lives in his apartment, and at headquarters, there's a memorial bust in K's name. But Will Smith's J gets caught in a time warp; he's the only one in the present who remembers the old history. He goes to work and suddenly finds he has a new partner. His boss, O, played by Emma Thompson, shows him the memorial bust to the great K who died 40 years ago. Agent J is confused and he craves chocolate milk, which he steals from toddlers, a classic symptom of a man who is caught in a time warp. So J visits the geek, gets his time machine, and goes back to 1969 just before Boris's arm gets shot off to prevent Boris from killing K so that the past will get set right and so will the future. There's a psychic character in 1969 played by Michael Stuhlbarg, who is capable of seeing alternate futures, which is more or less being offered as an explanation for the time-travel paradox.

Back in 1969, Agent K gets to comment on old-fashioned racist views. When he gets pulled over for car theft, he tells the cops, “Just because you see a black man driving a new car doesn't mean he stole it,” even though he did but that was incidental and should not be used to reinforce racist beliefs. Back in the past, J meets the young K played by Josh Brolin who gives a hilarious and perfect rendition of the young Tommy Lee Jones. But the young K still has a heart. “What happened to you?” J keeps asking. “I don't know because it hasn't happened yet” is always K's reply. The film is charming, funny, and visually entertaining. We don't get to see enough of Emma Thompson, whose best line is when she gives a eulogy at an agent's memorial service and quotes saddened words spoken by an alien in his native language. Her screeches, squeaks and shrieks are incomprehensible but clearly denote a grieving alien. There could have been a few more laughs to make this film perfect and perhaps fewer people getting killed by Boris's scorpion, but it's still a lot of fun and hugely entertaining.
  5. Jul 2, 2013
    one of the best movies of all time. It was funny interesting and really really good It's one of my favorite movies of all times and I like it very much
  6. Jun 16, 2013
    A esta entrega de Men in Black la vi diferente a las demas entregas, tuvo un buen elenco y buenos efectos especiales pero se agrego mas accion y mas suspenso
  7. May 25, 2013
    Men in Black III is a decent movie. It's probably the best of the trilogy, finishing narrowly ahead of the original and totally eclipsing the lackluster sequel. Josh Brolin is great as younger K and is totally convincing. It's still not an essential movie but it's fun popcorn fluff.
  8. May 12, 2013
    Too violent for the model of the films Men in Black, but that does not erase their quality and originality though obfuscate a bit, because this is the most fun and funny trilogy, but the best and humanizing her characters.
  9. Mar 30, 2013
    As someone who was extremely disappointed with the Men in Black 2 sequel, I can say that Men in Black 3 is FAR more superior to its predecessor. A good movie, with a somewhat confusing plot, but it doesn't take away from the experience, and great action make this a must-see for any fan of the series.
  10. Mar 29, 2013
    Considering a third film in a franchise? Considered a time-travel plot to breathe some life into the story? This is exactly what MiB 3's writer, Etan Cohen, did and it largely works, taking Will Smith out of the present, dropping him into 1969 and adding either new characters or younger versions of characters from the previous two films. Trying to splice elements of time travel into a story always runs the risk of tying the narrative up in knots and although MiB 3 steered clear of these complications, I still found myself pondering the repercussions much afterwards. Due to the plot this instalment features considerably less Tommy Lee Jones than before, but fear not, the buddy movie concept is not lost as Josh Brolin accurately replicates, not just impersonates, Agent K some forty years earlier to butt heads with Smith's fast talking Agent J. Brolin's note perfect performance as a younger Jones is the highlight of the film, helping the plot move forward in anticipation of the event that leads to K's even more dead pan and serious demeanour. What causes this actually turns out to be a surprisingly tender ending to the film, and one that deserves to finish the franchise.

Michael Stuhlbarg (gangster Arnold Rothstein from Boardwalk Empire) has an amusing, scene stealing turn as Griffin, the quirky alien capable of seeing all possible permutations of the future, all that was missing was a mention of Schrodinger's Cat.

All things considered, MiB 3 is a likeable return to the form for the franchise, but one that isn't truly funny or inventive enough to suggest that the franchise can go much further.
  11. Mar 24, 2013
    It’s very well made, very slick and everything we’ve come to expect from an MIB movie. It has been said that Tommy Lee Jones plays the part like he really didn’t want to be there and I can see what they mean; he seems to be just going through the motions in many of his scenes. I thought Josh Brolin did a decent job as the young Agent K and Will Smith played Agent J with his usual panache. I did feel they went for a few too many cheap laughs, but it was good to hear ‘Pictures of Matchstick Men’ by Status Quo in the Andy Warhol party scene. Maybe not as good as the first one; about on a par with the second… Worth a look if you’re a fan of the franchise; otherwise, I’d give it a miss.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED (just)

My score: 6.5/10
  12. Mar 14, 2013
    This was a cash grab and should have never been made. There is to much talent for a movie this bad. More than the other two the aliens in this movie are extremely annoying.
  13. Mar 14, 2013
    An improvement on its predecessor, but still not as good as the first movie. Script and characters are good, but a very under utilized villain that should have been a bit more prominent. Josh Brolin is fantastic as young Kay and Michael Stuhlbarg introduces a really great character that adds a bit of flavor to the story. Overall: A very enjoyable film that could have been better.
  14. Feb 13, 2013
    Surprising return to form for the Men In Black, this film went through some developmental twists and turns to finally make it to the big screen. I'm glad I seen it, because lets face it, the second entry was enough to turn anyones once great love for this bizarre but brilliant franchise into a sour, bad-tasting, happily distant memory .
    It might not be just as good as the first in the
    series, a few too many pop culture references for my liking, but it had a very interesting story, everything is brought into full circle, and the performances of the three leads is enough to re-watch this movies over and over again.
    Will Smith returns in his first starring role since 'Seven Pounds', four years ago, in the role of Agent J, who continues to investigate alien life forms on earth with the returning Tommy Lee Jones as Agent K.
    A new threat named Boris the Animal (Jermaine Clement) has broke out of his prison on the moon to exact revenge on K, who severed Boris' arm in the 60s.
    A time travel story ensues involving J going back to help prevent a major catastrophe involving everyone named.
    Josh Brolin enters as a young Agent K, and he is fantastic, and spot-on in his delivery as a young K, and a dead ringer for a young Tommy Lee Jones, and the chemistry and witty throwbacks with Will Smith are genius.
    Will Smith himself is a welcome return, his screen presence is oozing confidence and appeal that many fail to match, his comedic quips with Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin are quite unmissable, lets hope we don't wait another four years for him to be on screen (We won't, look up After Earth). Tommy Lee Jones smaller but more significant appearance in this takes his straight-faced acting to new heights, and he doesn't disappoint.
    A supporting cast includng Emma Thompson, Michael Stuhlbarg and even Nicole Scherzinger, there is plenty of familiar faces to entertain everyone. The special effects and action are brilliant, especially the time-travelling sequence, showing a glance of other periods of time in the same location was quite ingenious from director Barry Sonnenfield and writer Ethan Cohen.
    With a marvellously touching finale for our suited heroes, this was a revealing form of personal emotion for the franchise, and it therefore solidifies itself as an great, fun and well-thought entry into the series,
  15. Jan 28, 2013
    I enjoyed this movie, felt that it captured my attention and entertained me throughout. The team of Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones is a wonderful one. Overall quite good.
  16. Dec 16, 2012
    Now this is the sequel I think we were all waiting for. Will Smith plays Agent J as great as ever but the real surprise here is what an amazing job Josh Brolin does at emulating Tommy Lee Jones' Agent K. The add the incredibly interesting plot and this movie was just fantastic. Previews show how J must travel back in time to save K so that's no spoiler. However, the way the story was written was absolutely genius and the way the plot unfolds is even better. I didn't like how J continues to play the "punching bag" of sorts, even though he is now a senior agent. I think that hurts the progression of the characters some. However, the character development in this film actually goes pretty deep into their histories and the relationship between J and K gets a lot of "meat" added to it which I enjoyed. Overall, I didn't think it was quite as entertaining as the first but it was a great sequel. Now if I can just get a neuralizer to erase Men In Black II from my memory... Expand
  17. Dec 14, 2012
    A much better entry into the franchise than Men in Black II. In fact, it's just entertaining enough to justify the move to make another film. Most of it feels rushed, conveniently plotted and, while it resonates a little more than the last entry, the touching twist at the end comes about with awkward footing. Granted, the rip on the sixties isn't nearly as clever as the jokes lead you to believe, but the plot is more engaging than most summer releases (maybe I'm just a fan of time-travel films) and the effects pop, while also providing for most of the humor that works. A big flaw is that the relationship between J and K, while it is explored more than the past films, feels fake to me. The chemistry between Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith seems to be lacking and I think it is how out of touch the actors have been with these characters over time. However, we are graced with a great, original performance from Michael Stuhlbarg and Josh Brolin's Agent K impersonation is really spot-on. Expand
  18. Dec 8, 2012
    Bad sequel, disappointing but entertaining ...
  19. Nov 28, 2012
    Surprisingly entertaining and affecting film with well written characters and solid action.
  20. Nov 23, 2012
    The movie wasnt as bad as I thought, it was intresting to watch. It was fun at times and with a decent story!
    The visual effects sometimes were just stunning!
  21. Nov 14, 2012
    I didn't even notice the quality of the acting. This movie is all about playing with ideas. I haven't seen the same physics ideas played with like this in any other movie, which makes this unique. Especially for a Hollywood production. Apparently it was written by Etan Cohen, the guy who wrote Idiocracy. An under-the-radar new classic which involves awkward time-travel. Here, it's less about 'funny' and more about 'fun'. Less jokes, more action. Expand
  22. Nov 7, 2012
    I don't understand all the complaints and the bashing critics, it was exactly what you would expect from a MiB movie: light entertainment, nice effects for who's into that, shameless plot-holes and that sort of comedy MiB has always had. If you are not a fan of men in black and/or of the "more of the same" concept I guess avoid this at all costs, otherwise the movie is exactly what it has to be. (Which of course doesn't mean that it's super good, it's... good). Other various merits of the movie: bringing the trilogy up to date with the obligatory new pop-culture references, young K was perfect, and the subtle (read: tasteful) Frank appearences. Expand
  23. Y-L
    Oct 4, 2012
    Funny, with a different storyline from the previous two.
    In 2012, the director, Barry Sonnenfeld brings us another chapter of the MIB series, one that has a slightly different storyline than the previous. As we can expect, MIB 3 stars Will Smith(Agent J) and Tommy Lee Jones(Agent K), and joining them this time are Josh Brolin(Young Agent K) and Jemaine Clement(Boris/ Boris the animal).
    In between MIB 2 and MIB 3, Barry Sonnenfeld directed a couple other movies and TV series of different genres, such as Runaway Vacation(comedy) and Play or Be Played(thriller). Both of which, did not have many favorable reviews from the general public, but MIB 3 did exceed my expectations. MIB 3 is a hybridity of three genres: sci-fi, action and comedy. Throughout the film, many special effects are used, such as the appearance of aliens, the use of space guns, Agent K jumping off the building, alien crawling out of Boris Expand
  24. Sep 11, 2012
    A LOT better than the horrible MIB2 who almost killed the franchise but still not an equal to buddy-comedy classic MIB1. Brolin is well cast as Jones' younger version and works well as Smiths straight-man counterballance. The VFX are not entirely realistic even at the 225m$ budget but they are in line with the comic book style of the series. All in all I had great fun with the film and never got bored (as I did with MIB2) so a worthy sequel that got the series back on track! Expand
  25. Sep 8, 2012
    Men in Black III is sure an amazing piece of work by Will Smith , Tommy Lee Jones and Sonnenfeld .Even though the basic story was amazing the script wasn't that funny and solid . There wasn't funny moments like the last 2 times and i felt that the script was too fast . Many character didnt even had much screen time as they should . Acting was very well done but this time Visual Effect wasn't good at all . Those effects were so eye glowing .
    Over all its a fun movie but not Funny movie . Great performance by the actors but bad performance by the Effect Crew !
  26. Aug 13, 2012
    Watched it again, after sleeping throughout the second half of the movie last time. Like all MIB movies, it's simply filled with so much plot holes that it's staggering. However, it's a solid entry in the franchise and is actually the best one for me.
  27. Aug 9, 2012
    Really funny, judging from my audience's reaction--that's the best part. The script uses time travel and a "new" character--Young K (Josh Brolin)--to mix up the formula from the last two. The Big Baddie, Boris the Animal, is probably the weakest part. He's just angry and kinda dumb with no interesting features. Boris is basically a rehash of MIB1's Bug but somehow worse. MIB3 is a little worse than MIB1 mostly because it's just not "new" anymore, though the writing is probably technically better here and this one is much funnier. Way, way better than MIB2. If you liked the first one but hated the second, it's still worth a watch. Expand
  28. Aug 1, 2012
    The revival of the Men In Black series is definitely a good closing argument. Agent J(Will Smith) and Agent K(Tommy Lee Jones) don the iconic black suits for a time travelling and unravelling adventure. It presents action from the gate as Boris the Animal(Jermaine Clement) escapes from a prison on the moon. The film cost $215 million total, (no doubt all spent on keeping Jones young enough to stand next to age defying Smith) landing it spot number 11 on the list of most expensive films of all time. But the experience is worth the bill.
    Without spoiling, Agent J has to go back in time to save the world and Agent K. And while Tommy
  29. Jul 23, 2012
    I like it but it has a lot of information.It has a funny part.It is so funny.It has a lot of vertigo the time-jump.Agent J is so funny.OK,ha ha ha ha ha!

1. Reviewed by: Scott Tobias
    May 29, 2012
    Sonnenfeld's best movies function like elaborate Rube Goldberg contraptions, with visual gags popping out on a precise calibration of gears and springs, and Cohen's script, however derivative, is a stable apparatus.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    May 25, 2012
    What we're left with is a thoroughly mediocre, shrug-generating disappointment -- and one that certainly doesn't feel like it should have cost more than a third of a billion dollars to make and market.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael O'Sullivan
    May 25, 2012
    This third outing climaxes with a dark and melodramatic twist that, while adding a layer of nuance and back story that the previous two films never had, also feels wildly out of sync with its audience's expectations.