Geffen Pictures | Release Date: October 11, 1996
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 17 Ratings
WATCH NOW
saccyindJul 29, 2011
Michael Collins Tells A Great Tale Of Irish Freedom Fighter Michael Collins Who Shook The evil english empire And Paved The Way For The Irish Freedom.

Liam Neeson's Finest Acting Performance Till Date Direction,Music,Acting,Photography All

Liam Neeson's Finest Acting Performance Till Date

Direction,Music,Acting,Photography All Were BEYOND BRILLIANT

EDGECRUSHERJul 21, 2013
Liam Neeson's portrayal is as close to the flesh and blood of Mick Collins as our generation will ever see. Although I felt the tone overall was more romanticized than necessary, and it gives de Valera a better-than-needed portrayal, I wasLiam Neeson's portrayal is as close to the flesh and blood of Mick Collins as our generation will ever see. Although I felt the tone overall was more romanticized than necessary, and it gives de Valera a better-than-needed portrayal, I was moved to tears by this film. Sinead O'Conner's singing of "(S)He Moved Through the Fair" was amazing as well. Expand
RobDunlopJul 26, 2014
An excellent introduction to Ireland's war of independence, spanning from the Easter Rising in 1916 through to Irish Free State in 1922. The film was highly controversial in Ireland upon release, criticised by members of what had historicallyAn excellent introduction to Ireland's war of independence, spanning from the Easter Rising in 1916 through to Irish Free State in 1922. The film was highly controversial in Ireland upon release, criticised by members of what had historically been the largest and supporters of Eamon DeValera (played by the unparalleled of serpentine vilains, Alan Rickman) who felt the latter was painted in an unfair light in the film, and also by those who felt the father of urban guerrilla warfare was, as he would quite probably be painted if the campaign were today, a terrorist.

Liam Neeson gives a shining performance as "the Big Fella" though unfortunately let down by Julia Roberts whose accent is straight out of Darby O'Gill And The Little People, A superb cast of Irish actors including Brendan Gleeson, Stephen Rea, Aidan Quinn, Sean McGinley as and Gerard McSorley as the fanatical Cathal Brugha.

A great film for all, enjoy!