7.9

1. Mar 13, 2015
    Boasting charming color palettes, witty writing and polished performances, Woody Allen's 'Midnight in Paris' is a humbly brilliant meta masterwork that whimsically explores the caricature of the dreamy intellectual, and meditates on the necessity of escapism in our quest to give meaning to existence.
  2. Feb 25, 2015
    This is the first Woody Allen film that i see and love immediately, i didn't know what to expect at the beginning and only i was curious but in the end it was beautiful, it has an antique feel but at the same time modern, refreshing and romantic, with a bit of magic and reality. I loved it.
  3. Jan 22, 2015
    Woody Allen's twisted take on nostalgia is as witty a film as I've seen in recent years. It's brilliantly structured and draws some great performances. Shame it feels a bit overdrawn.
  4. Dec 19, 2014
    Woody Allen shows us a movie about art in the most glorious way of art.
    Paying tribute to all several kinds of writers and painters of the middle 20's, Allen's screenplay is the second best of his career, losing for "Annie Hall".
    Woody Allen shows us a movie about art in the most glorious way of art.
    Owen Wilson's performance was also a surprise, well know for cheap romantic comedies. "Midnight in Paris" also is a romantic comedy, but this time, Wilson drowned deeply into the character.
    This picture might remind me of "The Grand Budapest Hotel". Beautiful, short, precise, homogeneous and brings us all the magic from novels and paintings from all different kinds all artists. Ernest Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald, Pablo Picasso and Cole Porter, just to name a few.
  5. Sep 22, 2014
    ( as you can see i am not that a romantic guy but i love Woody Allen movies.) Midnight in paris is obviously a romantic story but i did not understand what was happening in the film where Owen Wilson is having a real past fantasy in 1800's or did he just wanted to get advice from his writing (or find a way to leave his fiance Rachael McAdam's with the past lover he has been waiting for.) A( as you can see i am not that a romantic guy but i love Woody Allen movies.) Midnight in paris is obviously a romantic story but i did not understand what was happening in the film where Owen Wilson is having a real past fantasy in 1800's or did he just wanted to get advice from his writing (or find a way to leave his fiance Rachael McAdam's with the past lover he has been waiting for.) A really great story also a really place to shoot the movie in Paris from Mr. Allen also a cast to die for in a romantic place. The Cast is superb in Paris Owen Wilson he plays a struggling writer just my kinda guy for this role, Rachael McAdams plays a his fiance which is well played i think it wasn't the best character for her to play basically she waited for Wilson's character to do something romantic but it never showed which sucked for her. (By the way how did woody allen get academy award winner Kathy Bates to be in his film ?.
    Grade A maybe an A-. ( Woody Alien did it again made a romantic film to die for like Blue Jasmine , Manhattan)
  6. Aug 25, 2014
    Amidst a long list of genuinely great Woody Allen films, this one bolts right towards the top of that list. Midnight in Paris is as magical as it is sentimental. It's an ode to a beautiful city and peculiar characters of our past, this film will be long remembered.
  7. Jul 26, 2014
    Midnight in Paris is a wonderful and brillant masterpiece by Woody Allen. In years, I didn't see any Woody Allen's film like his new film. So charming, senseful and touching, the film introduce us the adventures of Gill, an american screenwriter in Paris. This is one of Woody Allen's most fantastic and genious movie ever he did. "Midnight in Paris" is, without doubt, one of the greatestMidnight in Paris is a wonderful and brillant masterpiece by Woody Allen. In years, I didn't see any Woody Allen's film like his new film. So charming, senseful and touching, the film introduce us the adventures of Gill, an american screenwriter in Paris. This is one of Woody Allen's most fantastic and genious movie ever he did. "Midnight in Paris" is, without doubt, one of the greatest films of the year. Romantic, sweet, strong and genial, Woody Allen one more time bring us his talent as a director and screenwriter, in an another amazing story. Gil, is an American writer in Paris, a city that he idolizes, with the bride Inez. Every day, at midnight, Gil is taken to the Paris of the 20s, that for Gil is the Parisian golden age, where he met many artists and writers of the day such as Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Salvador DalĂ­, Pablo Picasso and T.S. Elliot. Reveal that I did not expect much from the new Woody Allen movie, but I was surprised with this romantic and exciting love story about the past, illusion, love and of course, Paris. I''m sure you will love 'Midnight in Paris', one of Woody Allen's charming and sweet classic films! Expand
  8. Jul 9, 2014
    I could see where Woody wanted to go with this movie and he had good intentions. Unfortunately a plot that had potential fell apart due to poor casting, uninspired performances and at time extremely insulting portrayals of famous artists of the past. Owen Wilson - who plays Gil- a successful but unsatisfied screenwriter is terrible in this role. It felt like he was being forced intoI could see where Woody wanted to go with this movie and he had good intentions. Unfortunately a plot that had potential fell apart due to poor casting, uninspired performances and at time extremely insulting portrayals of famous artists of the past. Owen Wilson - who plays Gil- a successful but unsatisfied screenwriter is terrible in this role. It felt like he was being forced into this mold of Woody Allen that he couldn't convincingly emulate. This "Zoolander" and "Wedding Crashers" star does not make a believable nerdy, awkward writer with a shuffling gait! He doesn't have the range of facial expression necessary to draw us in to believing his character's wonderment and excitement upon meeting some historical greats. Rachael McAdams seems to be channeling a slightly less **** "Mean Girls" persona but I swear at times it sounded like I was listening to her doing a reading for the role. Towards the end when her and Owen have a confrontation it all seems contrived and unconvincing. The portrayals of famous artists were extremely one dimensional- I was especially insulted by the way Salvador Dali was portrayed. Either Woody should have gone more over the top which these caricatures in a Mel Brooks sort of way or he should have idealized them in the way Owen's character would have seen them. Marion Cottiard who gave an excellent performance in La Vie en Rose is pretty but ineffectual. Her character's emotional range is minimal and the chemistry b/t her and Owen is nonexistent. That being said - I love the idea of the movie- nostalgia for a bygone era is more exciting in one's mind than for the people who lived through it. It was such a disappointment that the acting and at times the writing couldn't live up to the story's potential. Expand
  9. Jun 20, 2014
    "Midnight in Paris" is a profound, romantic tale of an unforgettable experience in the most beautiful city of the world at night. A man suddenly finds himself given a chance to talk to the world's most prominent artists, writers and directors, and literally only him can have this one-of-a-kind opportunity, which not only changes his outlook on both his life and everything around him but"Midnight in Paris" is a profound, romantic tale of an unforgettable experience in the most beautiful city of the world at night. A man suddenly finds himself given a chance to talk to the world's most prominent artists, writers and directors, and literally only him can have this one-of-a-kind opportunity, which not only changes his outlook on both his life and everything around him but also explores the beauty and value of realistic life that differs greatly from the bygones. This is a spectacular, wonderful motion picture by Woody Allen about the breathtaking nightlife in Paris supported by a talented star-studded cast. Expand
  10. Jun 8, 2014
    I hate to say it but this movie bored me to tears. Incredibly overrated. All I kept hearing was how well done and put together this movie is, but oh wow. It makes no sense and the scenes drag with no point to them. To be honest, I know several people who enjoyed this movie (how is beyond me), so it's not just media hype and you may be one of those people. But I found it amazingly boringI hate to say it but this movie bored me to tears. Incredibly overrated. All I kept hearing was how well done and put together this movie is, but oh wow. It makes no sense and the scenes drag with no point to them. To be honest, I know several people who enjoyed this movie (how is beyond me), so it's not just media hype and you may be one of those people. But I found it amazingly boring and pointless, with no coherence. 1/10 is generous. Expand
  11. Nov 30, 2013
    Midnight in Paris is a nice little wish fulfillment flick from Woody Allen. The film is mildly funny, mildly insightful and mildly romantic. So... Very mild, then. It is stuffed with good-natured charm, though. Not one of Allen's best but still fun.
  12. Aug 13, 2013
    An absolute delight! Like wine and cheese on a sunny patio. It was so engaging and charming that you just want to know what happens next and next and next. The wonderful cast made all the characters shine. One of Woody's best romantic comedies to date.
  13. Aug 13, 2013
    This Woody Allen movie is an absolute gem of a romantic comedy and characterizes Woody Allen in his best form. The movie is beautifully cast and beautifully written and is an absolute must for romantics and everyone else.
  14. Aug 10, 2013
    This is my favorite Woody Allen movie, the script is amazing and original, the acting is excellent and I really really enjoy it, its a great comedy but it have a meaningful message.
  15. Jul 31, 2013
    I know that my review must be 150 characters or more, but I have only one things to say about this movie. Perfect. My favorite Woody Allan film after Annie Hall
  16. Jul 18, 2013
    Woody Allen does a marvelous job of story telling with the beautiful backdrop of Paris. Owen Wilson and Rachel McAdams both give exceptional performances as well. A-
  17. Jul 12, 2013
    I think that this movie really tells a message that our present-day world is in need of. It aims to make us understand that we should escape more often the rules that govern our daily life, our society, our entourage, everything that surrounds us and makes us act like some robotized creatures, dominated by mercantilism and falsity. It tells the story of the intellectual who confrontsI think that this movie really tells a message that our present-day world is in need of. It aims to make us understand that we should escape more often the rules that govern our daily life, our society, our entourage, everything that surrounds us and makes us act like some robotized creatures, dominated by mercantilism and falsity. It tells the story of the intellectual who confronts himself with so-called social problems because of his different way of seeing and experiencing life. Paris is a portal for the protagonist through which he accesses the past eras that he thinks he belongs to, but also the change of the living ambient that reveals the differences between his and his wife's ways of seeing things and living. Great script, the movie is catchy from start to end. Expand
  18. Jun 23, 2013
    This is a fun movie that teaches us a valuable lesson in life. I recommend this to anyone that enjoys romance movies or anyone that is in love with old literature.
  19. May 4, 2013
    Woody Allen's best, most creative, and unbelievably origional film since Shadows and Fog. This movie went right up my alley since I'm a huge Fitzgerald and Hemmingway fan. One of my favorites.
  20. Feb 2, 2013
    Being only a teenager I can't say that I'm all that aware of the works of Woody Allen, but if his other films are as good as Midnight in Paris than I want to see them all. The writing and narrative is both intelligent and intriguing with Owen Wilson playing an interesting character perfectly. The film is brilliant with an interesting ideology questioning the audience when was the GoldenBeing only a teenager I can't say that I'm all that aware of the works of Woody Allen, but if his other films are as good as Midnight in Paris than I want to see them all. The writing and narrative is both intelligent and intriguing with Owen Wilson playing an interesting character perfectly. The film is brilliant with an interesting ideology questioning the audience when was the Golden Era of the arts. Watch this film, and thank me later. Expand
  21. Jan 28, 2013
    Midnight in Paris is great. It perfectly mixes the Twilight Zone with a romantic comedy. It's full of witty humor and great acting. Then entire time you're gripped by both Owen Wilson's great performance as the confused writer and by the beauty that is Paris that Woody Allen highlights upon moment that he gets the chance. The movie is indeed artistic making it pleasant to watch and evenMidnight in Paris is great. It perfectly mixes the Twilight Zone with a romantic comedy. It's full of witty humor and great acting. Then entire time you're gripped by both Owen Wilson's great performance as the confused writer and by the beauty that is Paris that Woody Allen highlights upon moment that he gets the chance. The movie is indeed artistic making it pleasant to watch and even more enjoyable to the eyes. I could see how this movie could not be your cup of tea but I can't see how anyone could say that it's bad. Expand
  22. Jan 16, 2013
    I had no clue, this movie would be so good.I actually never heard of it, before I watched it. It turned out to be an instant Classic! I loved the idea of walking around in different times. This movie inspired me big time!
  23. Dec 8, 2012
    We begin with shots of Paris (yes, some of them in the rain) and I think I
  24. Dec 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't really say what I was expecting, but this was completely different than what I thought it would be; it's a good thing, too, because it was unlike anything I have ever seen before. I loved it! It really made me wonder what it would be like to live in another era and meet all those important historical figures. This was actually my first Woody Allen film, so I can't really say how this stacks up with some of his other films, but it was certainly a very good directorial effort. The cast here, featuring a lot of household names, is perfect; everyone gives fine performances. It's definitely one of my favorite things about the film. The scenery and music is good as well. I also thought the writing was extremely solid. I loved the script, and it's no surprise that it was nominated for an Oscar. Including Best Screenplay, Best Director, and Best Picture, Midnight in Paris was nominated for 4 Academy Awards. One of the best films of 2011! Expand
  25. Nov 26, 2012
    At first the movie is quite slow and it didn't really fit my "pace". But as i kept watching it i have to admit i was really surprised and i enjoyed very much the old Paris and all its artists. What felt wrong is the dull cliche some character was, but i guess it was necessary to draw the difference with the wonderful past and the nostalgia for it. In a word: charming!
  26. Nov 17, 2012
    I make no effort to hide my admiration of Woody Allen, but I also make no effort to hide the fact that he hasn
  27. Oct 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the most nostalgic and elegant movie i have ever seen.
    the sets and locations of fantastic Paris are perfect.
    It is especially made with feel good factor which is the most crucial thing.
    Everything is just excellent ,Owen Wilson is so charming and sweet,his best performance so far,and the supportive cast did very good.
    Marion Cotillard looks so glamorous and lovely.
    Really liked those funny scenes with legends especially with Salvador Dali.
    My younger brother suggested me to read a short story "The Third Level", bu Jack Finney,before watching the movie.
    Both are extremely related.
    i really loved the concept of time travelling to 1920's 1890's and so on.
    Must say the best screenplay of the year and movie too.
    Woody Allen,you are just great.
  28. Aug 10, 2012
    The return of Woody Allen is in full swing ushered in by (of all people!) Owen Wilson. The film takes a lighthearted jaunt through history and while the tale is familiar, the humor and splendid visuals help this film rise above most.
  29. Jul 22, 2012
    An exquisite artwork of colourful characters, who all possess qualities that more or less contribute to the make-up of the paint and canvas, and the awe-inspiring surroundings of Paris, such as the glittering lights on the water and the shining little alleyways from little side-streets and cobblestone paths. Well, there's so much more, with the usual sights such as the Eiffel Tower andAn exquisite artwork of colourful characters, who all possess qualities that more or less contribute to the make-up of the paint and canvas, and the awe-inspiring surroundings of Paris, such as the glittering lights on the water and the shining little alleyways from little side-streets and cobblestone paths. Well, there's so much more, with the usual sights such as the Eiffel Tower and even over the particular bridge overlooking the lilies on the pond which was painted by Monet, but Woody Allen certainly has a thing of capturing the wonderful spirit of the small things. I think his point was to look at the surroundings of Paris at all times of the day, but we certainly got to look at the irrefutable sophistication of historical characters, which in no way conveyed a sense of patronising naivety, who could be said to be fascinating. With multiple angles and dry humour, this film has class with the use of talented actors and actresses and ends on a stylishly sweet note, ironically beginning the dream of a happily settled character (and audience) with not a scent of cliché in the Paris air. Expand
  30. Jun 18, 2012
    A big disapppointment. Very poor acting. The film meanders without any true thought and suffers by a pointless resolution--the protagonist is trapped in his own fantasy--but so what? A bad imitation of the famous characters the film seeks to illuminate, and a hasty Americanised view of Paris.
  31. Jun 12, 2012
    I watched the movie (no prior synopsis) for two reasons: Paris, which I love, having been there several times and Kathy Bates. I didn't know it was an Allen film until the opening credits. Once knowing the latter, I knew what I was in store for. An Allen-penned central character is in a constant state of flux, often bemused and wondering "Why is this happening to me and why don't othersI watched the movie (no prior synopsis) for two reasons: Paris, which I love, having been there several times and Kathy Bates. I didn't know it was an Allen film until the opening credits. Once knowing the latter, I knew what I was in store for. An Allen-penned central character is in a constant state of flux, often bemused and wondering "Why is this happening to me and why don't others around me understand me? How the Owen's and McAdam's characters even got together, much less engaged, is beyond me. Truly oil and water. He, the hopeless romantic, who falls in love with Paris and the aesthetics of the 1920's and she, the Type-A, in-your-face, critical Material Girl who thinks the world revolves around her and doesn't understand her man or much cares. A common Allen theme is to have a self-absorbed, bragging show-off, in this case, Paul. No one around him except Gil Pender, sees this and Gil wastes no time in dive bombing him to no avail. Was Earnest Hemingway really like this in true life or just a caricature. It's as if he is saying, "I am a Man and I do great things and if you don't do great things also, you are not a Man". Gil IS Woody Allen only younger, taller and better looking. Before you accuse me of being Anti-Semitic, celluloid history bears me out. I call it the "We Jews have been persecuted for 2000 years" syndrome. Be it Woody Allen, Carl Reiner, Mel Brooks, the Seinfeld Gang, etc, it seems to be all about complaining (Oh woe is me) and over analyzing others around them. Gil never truly asserts himself in the movie, but seems to always be holding on to a life preserver just to keep his head above water. Back to the movie...the cinematography of Paris was beautiful as were the costumes, set design, music and lighting in the 1920's sequences. I was dismayed to see the fine actress Kathy Bates relegated to a 10 line cameo role as was Adrian Brody. Well known actors (Oscar or not) seem to love being in a Woody Allen film, even in a diminished sub role. Of course, filming in Paris and the large salary for little work doesn't hurt either. The beautiful Marion Cotillard was a delight as the equally romantic, soul-searching Adriana. I kept wondering what the purpose was to throw in more and more literary or painting giants in each 1920's trip. Only 3 in the 1890's sequence, but that's because it was just one scene. In the end, our hero finds his soul mate, Gabrielle. A woman of heart and soul that compliments Gil. You might think, given my critique, that I did not enjoy the film. I did enjoy the movie, although I would've enjoyed it more if Gil stood up to Inez or even slapped her (just kidding, but hey, she would've deserved it, right?). If you are an incurable romantic and/or Francophile, like myself, you will enjoy this movie. Expand
  32. Jun 9, 2012
    Midnight in Paris is warm, delightful and charming, with Paris setting the stage for a perfect blend of romance and comedy. This film is a real tribute to art.
  33. May 25, 2012
    The script is top-notch, it is gorgeously filmed, fantastically directed and has some great acting. Sometiems Woody Allen wins some, and other times he loses some. He won some with M.I.P. as it is one of the best films of 2011.
  34. Apr 28, 2012
    not an avid film watcher, so can't identify much of any tropes/anti-tropes and I'm really not that critical, I tend to enjoy most films. but essentially the film expounds upon a basic proverb I'm sure we all know, "the grass is always greener on the other side", set in Paris. To me that's not a very interesting premise, though we are all guilty of falling into the "golden age thinking"not an avid film watcher, so can't identify much of any tropes/anti-tropes and I'm really not that critical, I tend to enjoy most films. but essentially the film expounds upon a basic proverb I'm sure we all know, "the grass is always greener on the other side", set in Paris. To me that's not a very interesting premise, though we are all guilty of falling into the "golden age thinking" portrayed in the film to one degree or another. I don't find the old city of Paris attractive, so the setting appealed to me little, but if you're a hapless maybe-francophile, you might enjoy it However, the main highlight of this film was the historical figures portrayed. As a writer, the main character interacts primarily with writers, artists and musicians of the past. As an art history enthusiast, I especially enjoyed the artist portrayals. Highlights include Jason Brody as Dali, Corey Stoll as Hemingway and Adrien de Van as Luis Bunuel. I thought all of these characters were portrayed accurately enough to not anger those who are familiar with them, but with enough wit and satire to appeal to the non-familiar. But, if you're a fan of surrealism the film might irritate you a tad. Dali is implied to be the de facto leader of the Parisian surrealists (the three in the film being Dali, Bunuel and Man Ray) rather than the indisputable ideological center of the surrealist movement, Andre Breton. I think this was a really missed opportunity as well, since Breton was a passionate socialist, this would have played nicely with the conflict between the main character and his fiance's father (who calls him a communist and tells him to go see Trotsky at one point), though of course it would seem the main character is naught but an average American liberal. But for all Woody Allen gets wrong about the surrealists, the joke about Bunuel's The Exterminating Angel will have you roaring if you're familiar with it. And then there's also the slight implication of Picasso (and by extension, cubism) as avant-garde, the pinnacle of this ridiculous idea being Gertrude Stein dismissing one of Picasso's paintings as "petite bourgeois". But at the end, the characters remain almost pathetically naive and sincere, and I never became attached to Owen Wilson's character, but I suppose I did see elements of an older personal self in him. I've seen this described as Woody Allen's Lost in Translation, which it is certainly not other than the theme of doomed romance. The main characters develop little other than their relationship and Gil remains as frustratingly boring as the beginning. But the historical figures make this definitely worth seeing Expand
  35. Apr 26, 2012
    A truly beautiful film by the great Woody Allen. Mesmerizing and astonishing it's a film that should definitely be watched. Owen Wilson is great in this role and the meeting of history's greatest was amazing.
  36. j30
    Apr 23, 2012
    Woody Allen's Midnight In Paris is one of the best films he has made in some years. If you're a fan of Allen's work you'll enjoy this one. Owen Wilson plays the typical (Woody Allen) neurotic character (and he nails it) lost in the streets in Paris after midnight. I won't give away any more just go see it.
  37. Apr 8, 2012
    Its a genius interacting with the history and the future of every single character.
    A beautiful story with talented actors and directing work perfectly by Woody Allen.
  38. Apr 1, 2012
    It is refreshing to be able to watch something that feels fresh, a story that has not been told before. Midnight in Paris is based on great script and is brilliantly edited and directed. If the casting was different this could have been a masterpiece.
  39. Mar 26, 2012
    This movie was uninteresting. Woody Allen's other works are far superior to this mindless attempt of a movie. The movie seems creative, but lacks so much. It was just plain boring. So many great actors gone to waste except for Wilson who is already a big pile of waste. My first impressions appeared to be correct.
  40. Mar 26, 2012
    The movie is about knowing who is right for you. We may think the person we love is in front of us, but in reality we have nothing in common with them. The other thing the movie tackles is nostalgia, something that a lot of us can relate too. Owen Wilsonâ
  41. Mar 26, 2012
    With Midnight in Paris, Woody Allen attempts to whip you off on a rip-roaring adventure through the very best of 20th Century art and literature. At some points, he succeeds. 1920s Paris is beautifully re-created, and the gradual introduction of every artist and writer you can imagine sharing a warmly-lit, smokey cafe in 1920s Paris is rather fun. Allen has attracted some real talent toWith Midnight in Paris, Woody Allen attempts to whip you off on a rip-roaring adventure through the very best of 20th Century art and literature. At some points, he succeeds. 1920s Paris is beautifully re-created, and the gradual introduction of every artist and writer you can imagine sharing a warmly-lit, smokey cafe in 1920s Paris is rather fun. Allen has attracted some real talent to play these icons, with Corey Stoll's grouchy Hemingway and Adrien Brody's brilliantly batty Dali being particular highlights. Concerning the "real people" in the film, Owen Wilson gives a staggeringly good performance as struggling writer Gil Pender, proving he can handle more serious roles as well as the comic ones (though there is still ample opportunity for him to wisecrack as only someone with his boyish charm can). Marion Cotillard also impresses as Adriana, a 1920s resident, a muse of Picasso (Marcial Di Fonzo Bo) and the woman who captures Gil's heart. Rachel McAdams is far less impressive playing Inez, Gil's spoilt, stroppy and selfish wife - she's just plain irritating and you really can't wait until Gil escapes her clutches. Michael Sheen is good as always, but plays a colossal a-hole, Paul Bates, a self-important, faux-intellectual art lecturer, and like with Inez, you can't wait to leave him behind. Though the premise of the film, of a man who is displaced in time and finds new artistic inspiration from a bygone era, is a thoroughly interesting one, the way in which Allen guides his story does not always work. The plot plods excruciatingly for the first 20 minutes or so - rather than moving the story along, it feels as though you're reading a tacky tourism brochure over Allen's shoulder. Things do improve once Gil first arrives in the 1920s, but it does at times feel like Allen is showing off how well-read and art-savvy he is. As sometimes happens with his films, his slightly patronising and arrogant tone can grate. Yes, Woody Allen is a talented screenwriter, and a competent director, but he can also be rather irritating in his tendency to want to shove his intellectualism down your throat. Midnight in Paris does work as a film, and has some nice ideas, performances and a good screenplay. If you're already a fan of Mr Allen's work, then I'm sure you'll love it. If not, then it likely won't convert you, and the film is a bit self-absorbed at times. It's the third Woody Allen film I've seen, and I'm still not certain I can see what all the fuss is about. Expand
  42. Mar 24, 2012
    Midnight in Paris has a interesting story but as the movie goes on you begin looking at the screen and see it is still Owen Wilson who acts the same in every movie. parts are interesting and parts are not so much. you leave with a feeling of what just happened and not quite in a good way.
  43. Mar 13, 2012
    Not generally a fan of Woody Allen, I was pleasantly surprised by Midnight in Paris. Charming and quirky, I found myself smiling throughout the film and afterwards. Depending on which of the male characters you more closely resemble, you may either glow in the historical and literary references or look down upon them. Not being a particular student of either, I found myself happilyNot generally a fan of Woody Allen, I was pleasantly surprised by Midnight in Paris. Charming and quirky, I found myself smiling throughout the film and afterwards. Depending on which of the male characters you more closely resemble, you may either glow in the historical and literary references or look down upon them. Not being a particular student of either, I found myself happily transported both by the whimsy and the theater like touches of music and scene transitions. Expand
  44. Mar 6, 2012
    Midnight In Paris was funny, sweet, and beautifullyy filmed. I'm glad I'm a Woody Allen Fan. http://thecelebritycafe.com/reviews/2012/03/midnight-paris-movie-review
  45. Feb 29, 2012
    Its suck a unique film that raises a lot of questions, unfortunately some that are left unanswered are plot holes rather than a true reflection. Their are some truly histerical moments, and the acting is really well done but it seems like its a movie that just got to edited. So much just seems missing like someone ripped a chapter right out of a book. Its an enjoyable watch, and uniqueIts suck a unique film that raises a lot of questions, unfortunately some that are left unanswered are plot holes rather than a true reflection. Their are some truly histerical moments, and the acting is really well done but it seems like its a movie that just got to edited. So much just seems missing like someone ripped a chapter right out of a book. Its an enjoyable watch, and unique enough to make it memorable, but not enough to make me really care. Bottom line, its better than almost all romantic comedies but it is so unfulfilled that its almost depressing because you know that had they added a little more it could have been great. Expand
  46. Feb 25, 2012
    I'm a highly selective Allen fan (likes: Purple Rose of Cairo, Radio Days, Play It Again Sam), but I was lured to this movie by the great-sounding premise and a huge weakness for Paris. Trouble was, the movie was all premise. The historical characters were witless caricatures; it took zero imagination to write their parts. The male lead was painful to watch, but then his part wasI'm a highly selective Allen fan (likes: Purple Rose of Cairo, Radio Days, Play It Again Sam), but I was lured to this movie by the great-sounding premise and a huge weakness for Paris. Trouble was, the movie was all premise. The historical characters were witless caricatures; it took zero imagination to write their parts. The male lead was painful to watch, but then his part was thankless. Woody aimed for magic, and I know a lot of people think he hit it, but for me it was a boring, flat, listless disappointment. Expand
  47. Feb 24, 2012
    i don't know what it is about this movie, but I've watched so many times and I also got back to some scenes so many times. it is so dreamy and it takes me away into another world like no other movie. maybe because the protagonist is experiencing something that we would like too, fullfillment of his dreams.
  48. Feb 24, 2012
    A movable feast ends up as mere piffle! Such a first-class cast, winning conceit, and gorgeously photographed Paris. First of all, the film is too short. It needed another 20 minutes to explore the conflict it sets up. More fundamentally, the writing is problematic because it lacks motivation: Wood Allen needed a believable foil in our hero's in-laws to be as driven and obsessed as heA movable feast ends up as mere piffle! Such a first-class cast, winning conceit, and gorgeously photographed Paris. First of all, the film is too short. It needed another 20 minutes to explore the conflict it sets up. More fundamentally, the writing is problematic because it lacks motivation: Wood Allen needed a believable foil in our hero's in-laws to be as driven and obsessed as he becomes. Clearly, Allen knows no right-wingers, so we get caricature. If he reads the New York Times and needed to know about non-leftists, all he needed to know about them could come from columnist David Brooks. Brooks observes that the further right-wing you go politically, the nicer and nicer people become. And why is that? Because in government, media, and universities - and even elite big business - these outcasts have to be all airs among the dominating and powerful left. Now, with this in mind, our hero ought to have been repelled not by petty meanness and humorlessness, but niceness gone nuts! Treacly, Minnesota nice on powdered sugar and maple syrup. On other words, coma inducing saccharin manners. Instead, Allen simply re-cycles his grasping Jewish shrews for a WASP-y Republican mother-in-law ("It's always the maid!" she cries when a peal necklace is stolen). The effect to simply too insincere - too feckless and unbelievable. Furthermore, the motivation for our protagonist to STAY in Paris of the past would have had greater complexity and acquired meaningful depth one can identify with. Instead, the result is too much like Woody moving to Hollywood - out of his element amidst all the shallow veneer. Thus, promising beginnings really disappoint in a "Midnight in Paris." Expand
  49. Feb 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If i have to explain in very few words then i would say, Artistic and Brilliant. The kind of beauty has shown in this movie is beautiful. Beauty of Paris is worth praising. There were many moments that made me learn some amazing things and facts about life. One should be with the person that respect his/her partner's opinions. Screenplay of the movie was really smooth and there was not any dull moment in the movie. At the end you will say that i loved it. A must watch. Expand
  50. Feb 13, 2012
    I'm ashamed of myself that I never watched a single Woody Allen movie until now. "Midnight in Paris" is just simply dazzling. The script is smart and provokes intriguing ideas, Owen Wilson is a crappy actor, but not in this movie; Woody Allen pulls out his usefulness and makes him act in his superior form. This is a film any moviegoer or book lover can enjoy altogether.
  51. Feb 13, 2012
    Midnight in Paris was a total surprise. This film not only is a journey through artistic figures but also a ride across Woody Allenâ
  52. Feb 11, 2012
    Hemingway, Picasso, all we never heard if we are not go to college of literature or art. Woody Allen's latest is sweet, heartwarming and cheerful. It's beautiful fantasy movie about time-travelling. Paris is magic!
  53. EMP
    Feb 11, 2012
    Beautiful photography and scenes â
  54. Feb 8, 2012
    Now that i saw it 5+ times, i think this is one of the best Woody Allen movies ever. One of my most favorite movies of the year, deserves all the acclaim and awards it got. Midnight in Paris gets better and more interesting at every watch and it is a movie that i can survive watching over and over again! this movie has some great underlying humor that comes off quite beautiful, charmingNow that i saw it 5+ times, i think this is one of the best Woody Allen movies ever. One of my most favorite movies of the year, deserves all the acclaim and awards it got. Midnight in Paris gets better and more interesting at every watch and it is a movie that i can survive watching over and over again! this movie has some great underlying humor that comes off quite beautiful, charming and very smart and clever as usual for a Woody Allen written movie. Superbly directed and masterfully written with good performances and original themes, this is one of the best romantic comedies and comedies in general i have seen in years. Expand
  55. Feb 7, 2012
    Pleasantly surprised by this film, very enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. Got lost in the story and the cinematography was a great advert for Paris.
  56. Jan 31, 2012
    I reserve "10" for best of all time or by my ratings an A+. Mr. Allen has created an A, excellent, exquisite film. Beside the "meaning" or intention, the upside and downside of living in nostalgia, I was taken away by this film. Mr Wilson perfectly channels Mr Allen; dialogue, mannerisms, and all. It made me drift a bit into the period, the people, the wonder, the times. I have never beenI reserve "10" for best of all time or by my ratings an A+. Mr. Allen has created an A, excellent, exquisite film. Beside the "meaning" or intention, the upside and downside of living in nostalgia, I was taken away by this film. Mr Wilson perfectly channels Mr Allen; dialogue, mannerisms, and all. It made me drift a bit into the period, the people, the wonder, the times. I have never been to Paris but I wanted to move to that period. The music, the cinematography, the rain. But alas, that's knowing what I know now and of course that is the false hope of nostalgia. A wonderful film. Expand
  57. BKM
    Jan 31, 2012
    Woody Allen's latest film is as light as air, but still manages to say something of substance about the dangers of nostalgia and romanticizing the past. The main love story is not between Wilson and McAdams, but between Wilson and his idealized vision of 1920s Paris. The insights provided by the film may be minor (to paraphrase Wilson's character), but they are still most welcome.
  58. Jan 28, 2012
    There is a certain chemistry or make-up in film that yields the perfect result, for me. Writing is primary. The story has to be enticing. The dialogue has to be intriguing. The acting has to be believable. The setting, ideally, would play a supporting role in the overall theme, almost like a character in and of itself. While Owen Wilson doesn't stretch much as an actor, he playsThere is a certain chemistry or make-up in film that yields the perfect result, for me. Writing is primary. The story has to be enticing. The dialogue has to be intriguing. The acting has to be believable. The setting, ideally, would play a supporting role in the overall theme, almost like a character in and of itself. While Owen Wilson doesn't stretch much as an actor, he plays "Owen Wilson" perfectly and, thus, is the perfect cast as Gil, a screenwriter who makes the leap to novels, yet doesn't have the self-confidence to fulfill his potential. Through a series of midnight, time-traveling trists, Gil meets his artistic idols, from literary giants Hemingway and Fitzgerald, to painters Matisse and Salvador Dali, who all, through almost dream-like inspiration, allow him to clarify his own reality. "Paris" is so perfectly-written that it is almost unfair to others nominated for screenplays this year. At this writing, "Hugo" is the only Best Pic nominee I've not seen and, so far, "Paris" only slightly surpasses "My Week with Marilyn," even though the latter has stronger individual performances. For all intents and purposes, "Midnight in Paris" is a flawless film leaving one to wonder, "Who has the intellect and writing skills to replace Woody Allen when he is gone?" I can't imagine whom that would be. Expand
  59. Jan 28, 2012
    I watched this movie because it was supposed to be one of the best of the year. What a disappointment. I have seen much better writing and acting in independent student productions. Other than proving that Paris is a beautiful city, I really think that this movie was rather pointless.
  60. Jan 27, 2012
    This is a delightful, smart, superb piece of filmmaking. It is a film that succeeds at every level: technical, acting, writing and directing. And one of the best pictures of 2011.
  61. Jan 25, 2012
    One of the best movies of 2011. Woody once again writes a great story with a message that I personally could relate to a lot: a desire to live in another time. With a terrific ensemble cast with the likes of Owen Wilson, Tom Hiddleston, and Kathy Bates (just scratching the surface), Midnight in Paris will leave you content and proves to be another quality Woody Allen film.
  62. Jan 9, 2012
    This is why I love Woody Allen's film.His writing and Directing style just goes trough the body into the heart .Midnight in Paris is Woody's best work since the 19s .The story is incredible and how he showed "Time Travel" with literature and Romantic was awesome. the music of the film was so amazing and wow , Its one of the best music work i have seen . & Paris Paris Paris ...... I'm inThis is why I love Woody Allen's film.His writing and Directing style just goes trough the body into the heart .Midnight in Paris is Woody's best work since the 19s .The story is incredible and how he showed "Time Travel" with literature and Romantic was awesome. the music of the film was so amazing and wow , Its one of the best music work i have seen . & Paris Paris Paris ...... I'm in love with Paris. The way woody showed Paris anyone will fall in love with it . It was remarkable . The opening Montage was really cool and nice idea . The dialogues were so perfect , funny and meaningful . Owen did awesome job as the lead role . Also Rachel, Michael , Kathy , Mari , Tom and others did an amazing job . Paris im midnight even in the 21s it so amazing and it dose looks so romantic and amazing in Rain . Woody's Midnight in Paris is clearly in 2011's top ten . Midnight in Paris is a perfect movie to enjoy alone an with others . Its an amazing film to realize how to enjoy life . Paris in midnight ...Wow woody wow ......wow . Tnx so much (woody) for this wonderful , Amazing , Awesome , Reamrkable Movie . Expand
  63. Jan 3, 2012
    Delightful fantasy from Woodman. Seen it for the fourth time already. His third biggest film in the last 10 years after Match Point and Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
  64. Dec 30, 2011
    I loved how the film's setting brought out it's themes. The film's flow and how the events occur feel natural and our often quite funny. I have not seen any Woody Allen films except this one but this really sparked my interest. The film is a bout nostalgia and the modern day and how people are always searching for the life they don't have. It's romantic funny and greatly acted by owen wilson
  65. Dec 27, 2011
    All my favorite critics LOVED this, yet it was one of the most boring films I've seen in years. I like old literary figures: that's not the problem. Every character, especially the historical figures, were gross caricatures. It's safe to say Woody Allen doesn't know or care much about these people, beyond their wikipedia entries. The story was dumb, and the dialogue was on the level ofAll my favorite critics LOVED this, yet it was one of the most boring films I've seen in years. I like old literary figures: that's not the problem. Every character, especially the historical figures, were gross caricatures. It's safe to say Woody Allen doesn't know or care much about these people, beyond their wikipedia entries. The story was dumb, and the dialogue was on the level of an original high school play. Expand
  66. Dec 26, 2011
    If one was mixing a movie **** the recipe for this one would be one part insufferable New York liberal intellectualism, one part Woody Allen semi-autobiographical self-rationalization, and one part beautifully filmed breezy Parisian travelogue with a refreshing plot twist. In short, it is standard Woody Allen fare. In Midnight in Paris, we find self-doubting and discontented liberalIf one was mixing a movie **** the recipe for this one would be one part insufferable New York liberal intellectualism, one part Woody Allen semi-autobiographical self-rationalization, and one part beautifully filmed breezy Parisian travelogue with a refreshing plot twist. In short, it is standard Woody Allen fare. In Midnight in Paris, we find self-doubting and discontented liberal screenwriter Gil (a pseudo Woody Allen character portrayed by Owen Wilson) wandering the streets of Paris while beset by a shrewish fiancé (Rachel McAdams), her cartoonishly moronic conservative parents (Mimi Kennedy and Kurt Fuller), and the overbearing pseudo-intellectual Paul (Michael Sheen). If it all sounds familiar â Expand
  67. Dec 24, 2011
    WOW! Such a great movie. I loved the acting, the plot...and just about everything! I recommend it to anyone who wants to see a good movie. ................................................................................................................
  68. Dec 23, 2011
    Midnight in Paris is fluffy and sweet, but like cotton candy, it is airy and somewhat lacking in substance. However, Owen Wilson's Gil is an original creation and actually outstrips all of Allen's previous incarnations in all his other films. This is an new kind of character playing the Woody Allen persona. He's not a loser; he's rich and confident. He doesn't get cast aside by the womanMidnight in Paris is fluffy and sweet, but like cotton candy, it is airy and somewhat lacking in substance. However, Owen Wilson's Gil is an original creation and actually outstrips all of Allen's previous incarnations in all his other films. This is an new kind of character playing the Woody Allen persona. He's not a loser; he's rich and confident. He doesn't get cast aside by the woman he adores because she left him for someone who looks suspiciously like Warren Beatty; he's engaged to be married to the woman he loves, and he's on holiday in Paris, while his rich future in-laws go on a shopping spree to pay for the perfect wedding. The endearing Brooklyn accent is gone because it has been replaced by a hint of a Texan drawl. Gil is blond, waspy, and eccentrically handsome. No schlemiel this intelligent and worldly young man who has his life already measured out in coffee spoons--silver coffee spoons, probably owned by his future father-in-law's company. Like the conventional Woody persona, he's a writer. And like the real Woody Allen, he wants to write a novel, and all his Hollywood screenplays pale in comparison to this one overriding ambition. But the novel eludes him. Dissatisfied with the present and vaguely aware that his materialistic, Republican fiancee may not be the right woman for him, he welcomes the opportunity to become a time traveler. Time travel movies always have severe logic problems, but it is easier to resolve the logic if you only go back in time for the odd evening here and there. Gil goes back to the 1920's, the era he longs for. The real Woody Allen longs for the 1940's, his childhood years. The rather basic theme is that we always long for some Golden Age in the past, and if we go back to that age, we'll find those people longing for something previous to their era. The present is too mundane for those who are actually experiencing it. They yearn for a lost paradise, a perfection that they sense must have existed somewhere else and has somehow eluded them; therefore, it must have been in the past. It's a pleasant film although the forays into the past are not the most authentic period pieces. A mustache for Adrien Brody does not fool the viewer into believing he is really Salvador Dali. It looks a bit like a costume party. The ending is vague and doesn't resolve anything; it only encourages us to dream, nay, to hallucinate about the past. Expand
  69. Dec 21, 2011
    Cute, and the vignettes of Jazz Age literary and musical figures are entertaining, but overall the plot is predictable and the characterizations superficial. Sweet and Lowdown is far better.
  70. Dec 20, 2011
    My type of comedies. A very good movie made for literates and people that like to read books. Wait, literates and people that like to read are the same thing. Either way, if you love literature and art then this is the perfect movie for you. There's many references to art and literature throughout the film to keep you entertained and educated. This film would most likely appeal to femaleMy type of comedies. A very good movie made for literates and people that like to read books. Wait, literates and people that like to read are the same thing. Either way, if you love literature and art then this is the perfect movie for you. There's many references to art and literature throughout the film to keep you entertained and educated. This film would most likely appeal to female audiences but that doesn't mean that a guy can also like it. The plot is basically about a romance that isn't fit. So Gil(Owen Wilson) starts to take walks in Paris during night, yes this film takes place during Paris one of my favorite cities. Gil ends up traveling back in time to the Golden Age of art and literature. And meets a lady that he loves. I will not say what ends up happening because you probably already figured it out for yourself, especially if you watch a lot of romantic comedies. Another important part to the plot is that people want a better life different then the one they already have. There is one part of the film I didn't like and that was the introduction of the detective character. The character was introduced towards the end of the film and then just disappears. I guess that's how Woody Allen does his movies. Also the writing is good too if you haven't figured it out. Expand
  71. Dec 17, 2011
    Original beyond belief featuring strong performances and charm and laughs and just an amazing story. Woody Allen directs an amazing movie. With a bit of low budget charm. I give this 94% of a good movie.
  72. Dec 15, 2011
    Once in a while Woody Allen revives his impulse for lo-fi fantastical, while still satirizing the discontents of the bourgeoisie. Owen Wilson is one of the better conduits for the Allen-persona since itâ
  73. Dec 15, 2011
    The poster of "Midnight in Paris" perfectly summarizes the whole movie. You have Owen Wilson walking through the streets. He's the character that is front and center. Writer/director Woody Allen uses Wilson to share his own thoughts about what it means to live in the present and admire the past. Then you have the magical backdrop of Paris behind Wilson. Behind Allen's camera, the streetsThe poster of "Midnight in Paris" perfectly summarizes the whole movie. You have Owen Wilson walking through the streets. He's the character that is front and center. Writer/director Woody Allen uses Wilson to share his own thoughts about what it means to live in the present and admire the past. Then you have the magical backdrop of Paris behind Wilson. Behind Allen's camera, the streets of Paris beautifully come alive in this film. You feel sucked into the look and style of it all. Allen has always been a master at capturing a setting, but he really outdoes himself here. And beneath all of the beauty and insight comes a sharply funny script from Allen and a pitch-perfect performance from Owen Wilson. Allen gives him the prototypical "Woody Allen" character, and he completely embraces it and makes it his own. All in all, "Midnight in Paris" is a magically charming movie. It's one of those films that will leave you with a big fat grin on your face, and at the same time, it will leave you in awe of such a beautiful city like Paris. Expand
  74. Dec 11, 2011
    Although I WANTED to like this, and I agree with others that the long list of expatriate artists that are "visited" were intriguing, the script just felt so forced and high-fallootin' in an effort to be "intellectual" that I never fell for the spell Allen wanted me to go under. Allen also uses Olsen Wilson as his surrogate "puppet", seemingly forcing him to use Allen's own rhythms,Although I WANTED to like this, and I agree with others that the long list of expatriate artists that are "visited" were intriguing, the script just felt so forced and high-fallootin' in an effort to be "intellectual" that I never fell for the spell Allen wanted me to go under. Allen also uses Olsen Wilson as his surrogate "puppet", seemingly forcing him to use Allen's own rhythms, phrasings, and speech patterns throughout his entire performance. Although I enjoyed the nicely detailed art direction and Marion Cotillard is always interesting, overall, the film is flat, redundant, and surprisingly, only sporadically "funny". Not worthy of the early Oscar buzz that it was once receiving which has now (rightfully) waned. Expand
  75. Dec 8, 2011
    I had high expectations for this movie have always been among every "front-runner" list all over the internet. It's not the first time that I saw a movie about a "present-past" coexistence thing, or whatever you might call it in the film industry jargon. And, I thought that the movie "Moments of Love" released sometime in 2004 (Philippines) with the same concept was even written better.I had high expectations for this movie have always been among every "front-runner" list all over the internet. It's not the first time that I saw a movie about a "present-past" coexistence thing, or whatever you might call it in the film industry jargon. And, I thought that the movie "Moments of Love" released sometime in 2004 (Philippines) with the same concept was even written better. Although "Midnight in Paris" is still worthy of a "good" description, it is undeniable to say that it does not reach the expectations.

Here are my recommendations scores for the movie at movienotesbook.blogspot.com
  76. Nov 20, 2011
    This is the worst movie I've ever seen. It's another boring indie flick for hipsters about spoiled rich people who are stupid and hallucinating. The obscure references alienate normal people. Critics are truly stupid nowadays. Don't read or believe any positive reviews about this movie. They are shills.
  77. Nov 6, 2011
    Woody Allen's best film in years! He penned a sweet, charming and poignant script, assembled a top-notch cast, and directed them with grace and elegance in this beautifully shot movie. Owen Wilson is utterly charming and wonderful in this role. Nostalgia can be a cancer if one stops living in the moment, and Midnight In Paris humorously reveals the consequences of believing in "theWoody Allen's best film in years! He penned a sweet, charming and poignant script, assembled a top-notch cast, and directed them with grace and elegance in this beautifully shot movie. Owen Wilson is utterly charming and wonderful in this role. Nostalgia can be a cancer if one stops living in the moment, and Midnight In Paris humorously reveals the consequences of believing in "the good old days". I loved this movie! Expand
  78. Oct 24, 2011
    It is a very engaging, highly beautiful film. Just as Gil (Wilson) is mesmerised with the beauty of Paris, so is Allen in his portrayal of the French capital. With beautiful shots of Paris, with some great cinematography, Allen manages to illustrate why Gil loves Paris so much. Asides that, technically, the film is rather well done, with some great production design. The acting is alsoIt is a very engaging, highly beautiful film. Just as Gil (Wilson) is mesmerised with the beauty of Paris, so is Allen in his portrayal of the French capital. With beautiful shots of Paris, with some great cinematography, Allen manages to illustrate why Gil loves Paris so much. Asides that, technically, the film is rather well done, with some great production design. The acting is also very good, with a surprisingly precise Owen Wilson, usually engaging Cotillard, and surprisingly entertaining Kathy Bates. The film, in many ways, is a critique of nostalgia and the power it has over people. Allen makes that rather clear, and it is always entertaining to see how this film has been looked at (and criticised) by both critics and fans as "not quite as good" as Woody's films at his peak... Could have been an intentional commentary of the director - or maybe I'm reading too much into it. Nonetheless, highly entertaining and charming film, definitely worth seeing! Expand
  79. Oct 20, 2011
    Watched this at Nova, Lygon St, with 9th class sound. Though the soundtrack was not demanding and therefore Nova was able to reproduce this laid-back french-style fantasy that is intended and was capable of drawing me into the atmosphere. Storyline is somewhat linear so I did not have to think to figure out what was happening (watched afterwork) but just sit back and relax, even just forWatched this at Nova, Lygon St, with 9th class sound. Though the soundtrack was not demanding and therefore Nova was able to reproduce this laid-back french-style fantasy that is intended and was capable of drawing me into the atmosphere. Storyline is somewhat linear so I did not have to think to figure out what was happening (watched afterwork) but just sit back and relax, even just for the visual. As for visual, benchmark is far surpassed that expected in terms of both decorative choice and cinematography.

I did not expected it to be that great of a movie; thought it was just one of those weird movies for the minority with tastes. But it was!! This is one of the few movies that gets me into a lasting mood after the movie!!! =)
  80. Oct 12, 2011
    Midnight in Paris is two films wrapped up into one and its all the worse for it. The scenes set in 1920's Paris with Owen Wilson's Gil interacting with famous writers, painters and artists such as Ernest Hemingway and Salvador Dali, are incredibly electric and fun (if not funny) but its juxtaposed with a thoroughly boring modern day tale of nostalgia vs looking to the future which justMidnight in Paris is two films wrapped up into one and its all the worse for it. The scenes set in 1920's Paris with Owen Wilson's Gil interacting with famous writers, painters and artists such as Ernest Hemingway and Salvador Dali, are incredibly electric and fun (if not funny) but its juxtaposed with a thoroughly boring modern day tale of nostalgia vs looking to the future which just lets the whole film down. Gil only seems to be having fun when in the past which is funny because the moments in the past are the only fun ones in the movie. Rachel Mcadams who is usually a treat seems to be itching for something else to do, with her not seemingly understanding her character well enough. Finally the film doesn't seem to know where its heading with it seeming to know it wants to critique something but then changing its mind on what it wants to critique. It would be a much more rounded film if the narrative wasn't split so much and if Allen knew what he wanted to say as a director or as this film seems to suggest, an artist. Expand
  81. Sep 4, 2011
    Could this be the best movie of the year? Well, so far, at least... Midnight in Paris is one of the smartest, most creative movies of the year, that certainly met my high expectations. Allen's verbose screenplay is funny, ironic and appropriately mysterious, which supplements the 'lack-of-explanation' behind Gill's time traveling adventures. The whimsical cast is luminous, particularlyCould this be the best movie of the year? Well, so far, at least... Midnight in Paris is one of the smartest, most creative movies of the year, that certainly met my high expectations. Allen's verbose screenplay is funny, ironic and appropriately mysterious, which supplements the 'lack-of-explanation' behind Gill's time traveling adventures. The whimsical cast is luminous, particularly Corey Stoll whose receiving little traction for his small, but booming performance as Hemingway; stealing all the scenes he's in. The story-telling is a triumph, teaching one to appreciate the present for what it is, despite all that is going on. All this works well with the fine production, particularly its cinematography and time altering costumes and sets. There's not much to complain about here... 2 thumbs up. Expand
  82. Aug 31, 2011
    This is the typical movie that, if you hear the storyline, you may think it's dumb as hell. If you watch it, it's heaven. I love Woody Allen's movies, and I liked this one as well. Owen Wilson proved he's much more of a Hollywood film star. I loved Marion Cotillard in the role of Adriana. The message of the movie is really interesting also. Fantastic movie, screw the haters.
  83. Aug 23, 2011
    Should be titled "Forest Gump in Paris". Nothing more than a cliche romance occasionally highlighted by the most one dimensional and plastic portrayal of famous historical figures. Witless and corny.
  84. Aug 12, 2011
    I'm in love with Marion Cotillard, well W. Allen wrote an amazing script and taking good care led many details at first seemed a little boring, but then admitted me into a past-present mess that made the movie a memorable moment.
  85. Aug 9, 2011
    A film that sadly doesn't live up to it's hype. Sure, seeing Woody Allen go back to his roots with Owen Wilson that can become a spot on copycat of Allen himself at times is great. However, Wilson's charm isn't enough to film the multiple gaps in realism that a film of this fantasy and magnitude needs. Simply, Midnight In Paris tries to be an artsy magical fantasy for adults but fallsA film that sadly doesn't live up to it's hype. Sure, seeing Woody Allen go back to his roots with Owen Wilson that can become a spot on copycat of Allen himself at times is great. However, Wilson's charm isn't enough to film the multiple gaps in realism that a film of this fantasy and magnitude needs. Simply, Midnight In Paris tries to be an artsy magical fantasy for adults but falls apart because of the carelessness of the script. Expand
  86. Aug 8, 2011
    great movie it was funny and touching. Owen Wilson's performance will be remembered. Marion Cotillard did a great job as well. the story was simple. it was memorable.
  87. Aug 2, 2011
    Midnight in Paris makes me wanna escape to the 20's Montmartre and dance Charleston in speakeasy bars with the Fitzgeralds, Hemingway, Picasso and Dali. It resemblances Purple Rose of Cairo, a Woody Allen classic from the 80's. Both films display a protagonist fed up with the current, longing for a fantasy. Gil's fantasy is Paris in the 20's, which he gets to experience - just to testifyMidnight in Paris makes me wanna escape to the 20's Montmartre and dance Charleston in speakeasy bars with the Fitzgeralds, Hemingway, Picasso and Dali. It resemblances Purple Rose of Cairo, a Woody Allen classic from the 80's. Both films display a protagonist fed up with the current, longing for a fantasy. Gil's fantasy is Paris in the 20's, which he gets to experience - just to testify that grass is always greener on the other side. Anyone who likes Woody Allen or Paris should see this movie! Expand
  88. Jul 27, 2011
    I LOVED this film! Perhaps, I'm just nostalgic for Paris in the 1920's (and the 1890's!), but Kathy Bates' cameo as Gertrude Stein was pitch perfect, and Owen Wilson did a fine job of embodying the nerdy, intellectual Woody Allen character without Woody's ticks. The movie is sweet, fun and shows Paris at her best with some stunning, gorgeous cinematography. Magnifique!
  89. Jul 20, 2011
    Loved it! Rachel McAdams was pretty annoying and I really disliked her, which is great cause I love her in most films so she did very well in selling her role. Owen Wilson was fantastic, he usually is. He has that almost innocent quality not ignorant but ordinary guy kinda vibe that I relate to. Micheal Sheen was good I loathed his character which again I normally like him, he sold theLoved it! Rachel McAdams was pretty annoying and I really disliked her, which is great cause I love her in most films so she did very well in selling her role. Owen Wilson was fantastic, he usually is. He has that almost innocent quality not ignorant but ordinary guy kinda vibe that I relate to. Micheal Sheen was good I loathed his character which again I normally like him, he sold the arrogance. Excellent cinematography. I can't wait to see it again Expand
  90. Jul 12, 2011
    Can't believe I'm saying this but this movie pretty good. Considering the movie is written and directed by Woody Allen. The movie has a smooth story line, good character development, especially with Owen Wilson character, you can't help to get caught up in what he feels. The film is a must see!
  91. Jul 11, 2011
    Very cool movie if you're into the idea that there are amazing places outside of America, which I am. I'm not always a Woody Allen fan, but thought it was supremely entertaining.
  92. Jul 8, 2011
    Wilson delivers a genuine Woody Allen-esque character with his subtle, internal conflicts that slowly reveal themselves throughout the movie as innocent, soft-spoken tourettes. It's a charming, slow moving picture that takes you back in time. I enjoyed watching it, but it's not one I would keep in my Blu-Ray collection.
  93. Jul 8, 2011
    I thought I was going to love this movie, but I didn't. 45 minutes into it I was looking at the clock, pretty bored & trying to remember how many minutes long it was. The acting seemed forced, predictable & dull. Although the potential for a great movie was all right there, something big was missing & it flat lined.
  94. Jul 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thirty years later, Luis Bunuel, no longer a young man but a Spanish ex-patriate biding his time in Mexico, reflects back on France in the 1920s, Jazz-age Paris, the time and place of his sensationalistic calling card, a short film he co-directed with Dali called "Un chien andalou", and remembers the American he met in a bar who pitched him the idea for a film, which at the time, puzzled the young surrealist. The American said he was from the future, and being like any self-respecting dadaist, Bunuel had taken the pronouncement by the delusional man in stride. But now he wonders, after having just won the Palm d'or at the 1961 Cannes Film Festival(for "Virdiana"), if Gil was indeed a time-traveller. To answer his own long-ago question as to why the party guests couldn't simply leave the room, it's because they're idiots, the ruling class, who in "The Exterminating Angel", celebrate their victory over the Popular Front in the Spanish Civil War to such an egregious extent, they resort to mob rule, nearly reducing a mansion to rubble. Released in 1962, the mordant comedy shows how even the bourgeoisie could be victims of totalitarian state. In essence, the film shows them to be little children who need to be told what to do. Left to their own devices, they throw a temper tantrum. The American, surmises Bunuel, must've had previous knowledge about Franco, the fascist dictator in cahoots with Hitler and Mussolini, the primary engineers of World War II. Gil, however, without meaning to, threatens the very existence of "The Exterminating Angel" by violating the first law of time travel. In futurist Hans Morveac's own words: "...a message sent to the past will alter the entire history." In Bunuel's case, stealing the intellectual property of a Hollywood professional could serve as revenge for how Warner Bros. appropriated his idea about a self-mobilizing hand("The Beast with Five Fingers") during a stint in the dubbing department. But then again, lifting the storyline from a hack writer, especially an American one, would be beneath him. Surely, after winning the top prize at the world's most prestigious film festival, Bunuel must've had offers from Hollywood, and yet history shows, he chose to toil away in Mexico as a director for hire. Unaware, perhaps, at the time of his first exile that American businesses supported Franco's fascist movement, Bunuel wasn't liable to sell-out his compatriots a second time around, this time knowingly. But if because of Gil's meddling, "The Exterminating Angel" never comes to fruition, then it's reasonable to conclude that another film which lampoons the upper class, "The Discreet Charm...", which features the same enigmatic impotence among the rich in regard to their ability to make a decision, would likewise, disappear from Bunuel's filmography. Gil, who professes to abhor the conservative politics of Inez and his prospective in-laws, unwittingly becomes one of them by sabotaging two great leftist films that baited the rich with provocative glee. A self-described liberal, Gil is more of the latte-sipping kind, the liberal elite, the sort who are said to be out of touch with the real needs of the proletariat. Only a chameleon could live with someone as materialistic and callow as Inez, his flinty fiance. The milieu of "The Roaring Twenties" also provides the setting for "Zelig", the 1983 mockumentary about a man named Leonard Zelig, a mutant("X-Men", anybody?) who could blend in with people of all creeds and colors. For the diegetic F. Scott Fitzgerald, it's deja vu all over again. In "Zelig", the narrator chronicles the famous author having met a man at a swanky party who mingled with socialites and servants alike, and now in "Midnight in Paris", "The Great Gatsby" author encounters a similarly adaptable man, a starving artist among starving artists, albeit one who could return to six or seven-figure paydays should his adventures in novel-writing not quite pan out. "The rich are different," Fitzgerald once said, and Gil is indeed different, a poseur, whose carriage and deportment wouldn't escape the astute writer's eye. Like "Forrest Gump", this love letter to Paris is the stuff of science fiction. Whereas the Robert Zemeckis film(infamous for its ideologically conservative subtext) presents a parallel universe, "Midnight in Paris"(like "The Purple Rose of Cairo") uses magic realism, grounded in the corporeal world. In both films, you have rightist protagonists who act as muses for progressive icons. Turnaround, however, is fair play. Cecilia, who gets her heart broken by Tom Baxer(the actor) in the 1985 classic, is avenged, in a sense, by Marion, who leaves the Hollywood scribe before he gets the chance to do the same. Unlike Cecilia, Gil chooses fantasy(the past) over reality(present), but like the Depression-era movielover, ends up with neither. Alas, this time, Hollywood gets burned. Expand
  95. POV
    Jul 6, 2011
    Well...Woody Allen is Woody Allen yet again. Obeying his one movie per year oath, Allen creates Midnight in Paris as a magical, character-driven rom com. Enjoyable characters-not overly neurotic males nor hysterical women, just borderline so- a catchy, albeit fresh twist & reversal-ful plot. A movie that can keep you watching. Will it though? It might.
  96. Jul 6, 2011
    CAUTION: SMUG ALERT ON HIGH! I can't think of many other films with the pretension of this one. Watching it reminded me of the story, "The Emperor's New Clothes," if you don't like it, you're stupid (or so the hoighty-toighty would have you believe). Stories and conflicts go unresolved as the plainly miscast Owen Wilson stumbles and bumbles through a story with an interesting premise,CAUTION: SMUG ALERT ON HIGH! I can't think of many other films with the pretension of this one. Watching it reminded me of the story, "The Emperor's New Clothes," if you don't like it, you're stupid (or so the hoighty-toighty would have you believe). Stories and conflicts go unresolved as the plainly miscast Owen Wilson stumbles and bumbles through a story with an interesting premise, but with more holes than Swiss cheese. The pretentious professor offers some laughs, but is severely under-developed. The characters are painfully one-dimensional and chug along through yuk-yuk uninformed and unfunny political and history jokes that you better laugh at, lest you be exposed as a conservative and/or unintellectual. One diamond in the rough is Marion Cotillard's performance, which pulls more than its fair share in this dreadful affair. Expand
  97. Jul 5, 2011
    Easily the best and the most accessible Woody Allen movie in years. Shockingly, it was sold out the first 2 times I tried to see it. Witty, intelligent, with outstanding natural performances. I've always considered Owen Wilson a somewhat limited actor in terms of range, but his performance hits the right notes. He conveys a romantic wonder at what occurs, but he doesn't overdo it withEasily the best and the most accessible Woody Allen movie in years. Shockingly, it was sold out the first 2 times I tried to see it. Witty, intelligent, with outstanding natural performances. I've always considered Owen Wilson a somewhat limited actor in terms of range, but his performance hits the right notes. He conveys a romantic wonder at what occurs, but he doesn't overdo it with the gosh, gee whiz it's Picasso stuff. The movie has the ring of truth in that we tend to romanticize the past, ignoring the downsides. Sure, we might wish we lived in the big band era, but don't forget people were dying of polio. It was definitely a crowd pleaser and a welcome antidote to the slew of comic book films aimed at teenagers. Expand
  98. Jul 3, 2011
    It's not often you can truly relate to someone's love-affair with a city, yet the Paris cityscapes are so mesmerizingly captured, you not only understand, but are enamored yourself. Being an art/literary ignoramus, I missed most of the historical references, but the characterization was brilliant and charming; a constrast to the lead cast who felt forced and flat. The backdrop of a rich,It's not often you can truly relate to someone's love-affair with a city, yet the Paris cityscapes are so mesmerizingly captured, you not only understand, but are enamored yourself. Being an art/literary ignoramus, I missed most of the historical references, but the characterization was brilliant and charming; a constrast to the lead cast who felt forced and flat. The backdrop of a rich, snooty, indifferent fiancée was a bit contrived but forgivable, and one would be hard pressed to find a more inspiring location for the message at heart. Expand
  99. CMC
    Jul 3, 2011
    If you really like most all Woody Allen films, you will probably like this one. Considered as breezy entertainment, it is as you might expect better than most Hollywood fare, but that bar is not too high. Owen Wilson becomes boring as he is given few good lines, portraying a perpetually confused and boring person, and the occasional Woody Allen quip seems out of character for the goy TexasIf you really like most all Woody Allen films, you will probably like this one. Considered as breezy entertainment, it is as you might expect better than most Hollywood fare, but that bar is not too high. Owen Wilson becomes boring as he is given few good lines, portraying a perpetually confused and boring person, and the occasional Woody Allen quip seems out of character for the goy Texas boy. Adrian Brody as Dali is by far the best, and I suspect it is because he did an improv on his role and everyone liked it, while the others are too submissive to Alen's uninspired direction. Perhaps the most disappointing feature is how un-emotive Paris is; how hard is it to miss when combining Paris and nostalgia? A big problem is that even the "real" characters are such extreme caricatures, you just can get too interested. I became bored by Allen's latest sleepwalking exercise. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Jun 11, 2011
    A hymn to that beautiful city, is among his least consequential efforts. It's attractive and easy to slip into, but he didn't put enough thought into the design, and it soon falls apart.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Jun 10, 2011
    A fanciful French cousin to Allen's "Zelig" and "The Purple Rose of Cairo," yet the fulfilled wish for a better life is high-concept absurdity without high-anxiety guffaws.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 10, 2011
    A lovely jaunt that ends up becoming one of Allen's most enjoyable films, start-to-finish, in years.