8.1

1. Feb 28, 2014
    Midnight is one of the most fun, entertaining, hilarious road comedies I've seen in a while, if not ever. The chemistry between de Niro and Grodin is natural and not forced, and the dialogue is fresh and exciting, not to mention witty. The movie glides with ease from scene to scene, plot point to plot point, and you want it to keep going even after the movie ends. One of De Niro's best performances. Expand
  2. May 19, 2013
    Midnight Run has a real sense of journey both physical and in terms of character development which is not prevalent in most films. The balance of comedy, sentimentality and of course action is well calculated, the script is great and all the actors are clearly enjoying themselves. A flawless film and way ahead of it's time. Danny Elfman's score is uplifting and compliments the visuals in every scene. Expand
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    Director Martin Brest presents "Midnight Run" the story of a bounty hunter (DeNiro) who is offered $100,000 to transport a convicted felon (Grodin) across the country. Now I initially heard about this movie through my Father. He loved the film and I can honestly say that I liked it too. The comedy was simple, but it's still funny. The funniest part of the entire movie though was the chemistry between Robert DeNiro and Charles Grodin. The two really developed a thick love-hate relationship that really was the masterstroke of everything this film had to offer. The dialogue was pretty good, the story was rather original, the camerawork was clean, and the soundtrack was decent (In all it's 80's glory) . I'd say that "Midnight Run" was a fun time. Expand
  4. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is without a doubt one of the best buddie action/comedies ever put on celluloid. I missed the theatrical run in Australia (did it even have one?), but this became a staple VHS and DVD rental.

The Danny Elfman music is not as subtle as it could be, but this is an action/chase film as well, so there is not much need for subtlety here. I catch myself (and my brother) belting out the closing riff, and it is very hard not to remember the wonderful music in the quiet moments too.

DeNiro is in fine comedic form, and apparently spent three months with a real bounty hunter to research the role. His timing and delivery are sublime. Grodin isn't too far behind, with some fine moments on screen, but one or two moments, his deliver feels a little forced. The addition of Farina, Ashton and especially Pantoliano, makes this almost an ensemble comedy. The entire film from start to finish has an edgy realism, and many moments in the film feel like "fly-on-the-wall" documentary, as far as the dialogue and acting go. There is an honesty in this film that is sadly lacking in most.

Martin Brest is at his best when it comes to the Mob, and crime. He has succeeded so well here, whereas other lesser directors may have destroyed the entire thing.

There is a few tiny moments where this film feels a little "forced" or "scripted", but blink twice and you'll have missed them.

Also, if the F-word is not to your liking, then you will not appreciate most of the dialogue in this film. I have seen the "cut for television" version, and it ran for about 20 minutes :-)

Apart from those small gripes, I give this film 10/10, and it is easily the one film I would run into a burning house to save. My favourite of all time.
  5. Apr 8, 2011
    Was incredibly pleasantly surprised by this flick. The on the road due made the misfits of Due Date come to mind, and with more believable comedy. De Niro doing comedy is so rare and so fun. Anyone that likes road trips, the 80s and gangster buffoons will love this.
  6. Oct 14, 2010
    Hilarious movie. DeNiro is amazing in his role and if this movie proves anything it´s that he can do comedy too. It was fun to see Charles Grodin in another role than as angry dad in Beethoven. Dialoque is witty and funny.

1. There isn't a single performance in Midnight Run that doesn't have a pulse, that doesn't show the actors at their best or near-best, especially De Niro. [20 July 1988]
    Whoever cast De Niro and Grodin must have had a sixth sense for the chemistry they would have; they work together so smoothly, and with such an evident sense of fun, that even their silences are intriguing.
  3. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    One of the most entertaining, best executed, original road pictures ever.