7.9

1. Nov 15, 2012
    Swank, annoying as she is, uses everything we hate about her to plow into the the role. There'll be talks about the great performance she delivered. It wasn't great. The role just suited her. Eastwood and Freeman, on the other hand, are phenomenal.
  2. Jan 5, 2013
    Strong and Powerful! A touching story proved with sweat and pain, and the same time - with beauty and grace of boxing goddess! This sport-drama is one which surely leaves a warm spark into our hearts!
  3. Aug 2, 2013
    Million dollar baby is a story about a female boxer who decides in her early 30's to star boxing.She goes to a gym to exercise and there she finds a coach. Million times if you see that film a tear will come out from your eye. A depressive sport movie that it is really touching and it shows friendship and love. Million dollar baby also shows how difficult is for a person that loves you to decide whether you are going to live or die. Hillary Swank was amazing in that movie. I don't know how she did that. I actually thought that i was feeling what she was feeling. I don't understand the negative reviews and I don't want to spend any time telling my opinion for them and i simply understand that some people don't have a heart. That's all I have to say for that masterpiece. Expand
  4. Aug 20, 2010
    The greatest contemporary tragedy of 21st century cinema thus far.

Inspirational movies are always the top choice with conscious parents who want their kids to be well influenced. I don't deny it. Usually, inspirational films involve sports. Which is okay because I like films like Hoosiers and Rocky. But the biggest fault with such movies is that they follow a formula too often. The joy
    of watching them is lost because we pretty much know what to expect. I don't like sports films because of this: everytime, there is a sad and pathetic team lifted up by a bright coach. The dialogue when not in inspirational mode then becomes dull and boring. Sports films ultimately make me feel cheated because the real movie is only available in parts thanks to a cliched and overcooked story.

This film is not about sports. It isn't unusual because great films ironically don't have much to do with sports (Raging Bull is the best example). And Million Dollar Baby is drama. Well-played and tearjerking drama.

The film stars Clint Eastwood as a down-on-luck boxing trainer, Frank Dunn. He has the most thankless role in the sport and struggles to make contact with his daughter, after years of turmoil. His buddy, ex-boxer "Scrap Iron" (Morgan Freeman) is his moral support, the man with sense in the atmosphere of despair and loss. Then comes Maggie (Hilary Swank), a waitress who aspires to be a professional boxer but cannot due to her age and the fact that she is a woman. Maggie, despite Frank's refusal to train her, persists by training every day ignoring the jeers of the other boxers. Finally Scrap convinces Frank to train her and what follows is a journey of persistence, love, and ultimately tragedy.

The whole atmosphere of Million Dollar Baby is dark. There is hardly any vivid color. It is a tense time of strain and despair. And that is what Eastwood wants us to feel. There is no happiness. This is reality in one of the harshest degrees. Even the screenplay says so. But when Maggie and Frank work together, things take a slight turn towards the light. Both Frank and Maggie have a lack of connection with their respective families. Frank's daughter is ashamed of Frank while Maggie's family mocks her for her profession while living off her profits. Frank and Maggie's working relationship as trainer and trainee transitions into an ideal father-daughter relationship, something that both lacked. Frank finds Maggie as the daughter he lost and Maggie finds Frank as the father she never had. And it is this relationship that rises the movie above its inspirational/sports film genre. And when all fell down, I never felt the same. I felt as depressed as Frank was by the end of the movie.

It is impossible to have an inspirational film without its appropriate actors. For Eastwood, it is another performance that doesn't require excessive emotionality. But he fits perfectly as a pessimistic boxer who seamlessly transforms into a man with heart and back again. But he would not have gained the heart had it not been for his support. Morgan Freeman does another wonderful performance as a supporting actor. He proves to be a man of strength, vitality, and sense. But Swank is the movie (her role is also referenced in the movie's title). She wants to prove she is a capable boxer despite gender and age. She, like Frank, is caught in the grasps of pain but tries to ease it by becoming a great boxer. And when the pain is almost victorious, the way she begged Frank to "release" her made me cry not out of mere sympathy but love.

One point a critic may point out is the inconsistency of Maggie's role as she evolves from a person of inspiration to a depressed, hospitalized, and suicidal patient. But the movie inside isn't inspirational, in a sense. It is an assessment of human and societal nature and how two people struggle to survive in such hostile environments that eventually gets the better of them. The inspirational note in the film is not a victory but a message of hope that the world will change its ways for the better.
  5. Aug 29, 2010
    Sorry for the translation, is mechanical.

Million Dollar Baby has so much original, the drama of three people. They are stories that affect you directly, powerfully enter into your deepest instincts and the reason is because they are true stories that can happen to you, your family, your neighbor and displayed without veils. Take it or leave it. Probably what has "taken" my emotion was
    the presence on stage of a woman and a woman with a fighting spirit out of the ordinary.
    This allows me to say that in "Million Dollar Baby" all the experience of Eastwood is made available for learning the "cadets filmmakers" and also because it was possible to add, I think, to many film called "classical" another. Eastwood manages to give us an endless alternation of emotions as if it were established and marked by a metronome, now slow hour fast.
    About rhythm, the film is accompanied by music by Eastwood and narrated by Eddie Dupris, "Scrap Iron" (Morgan Freeman), former boxer Frankie (Eastwood) has trained years ago and which the manager. Scrap is a real thorn in the soul of Frankie.The two friends carry with them so frustrating and painful burden of their stories. Different but converging. if only to regret that decision probably a "past" taken in a different way would have given a different ending to their lives. The "hardness film" director, in which more than fifty years are used in this film even dissolves in tears and certainly chose the place and the right time to pay.
    Frankie, professional box with years of experience as a manager and at the same time away from the professional circuit has a second chance to "return" with Maggie Fitzgerald (Hilary Swank). Swank has a starring role that in every sense, certainly comparable to the performance of Boys Do not Cry. " I said, Maggie is a waitress who receives a resounding "No!" When presented at the gym run by Frankie. The motivation is twofold. Does not train women boxers, and a thirty year old has little chance of achieving ambitious goals.
    Frankie, however, only later realizes that it faces a woman determined and disciplined. Discipline gained from the "Life", which always knows how to be a teacher when he finds disciples willing to listen and to learn to translate its many meanings silences. Maggie spring. Why not let the "Life" have been told that only Frankie can help you achieve the desired objective. Fighting for the world title. Convinced for various reasons, Frankie, Maggie and Scrap start a new migration with new feelings, new feelings. Their flight is more often excitedly, almost never gliding. Maggie is found to have a meeting with the family and will be a meeting that will take effect ...
    Million Dollar Baby is a film in which the personal spaces, intimate and filled are affected by a tragedy of enormous dimensions. Due because of what men can do better, particularly in sport, "not respecting the rules." "Winning at all costs." But woe to judge the choices of "others," especially if the choices are existence, what "do" with their lives. "Other" always deserve the utmost respect. Why? Why put it like a "fist meeting" that can prematurely close a match is not true that things only ever happen to "others".
    The three main characters are actors and forever and this is, in my opinion, the strength of this film that catapulted him overwhelmingly in the masterpieces.

Good Ciak!
  6. Dec 11, 2010
    Best movie of all time. Greatest Acting by the main 3 actors, best directing in years, amazing script, completely absorbing.
  7. Apr 30, 2011
    I know most of my reviews consist of 10/10, but that's because I think lots of movies are excellent. And so is this one. By all means, one of the best films I have ever seen. Million Dollar Baby is more than just a film about boxing, it's about believing, never-giving-up, and the harsh reality of life. And truly, life. Is hard. The film has so many memorable moments. The acting, the directing, the story is all spectacular. Ive never seen a film like this. Million Dollar Baby is about a boxing trainer and manager, Frankie (Eastwood). A woman, Margaret Fitzgerald (Swank), wants him to train her. Frankie claims he can't train her, but as she grows in potential and determination, he starts to. The story follows Maggie and Frankie as they try to fulfill their dreams, and show the world that they believe. Unlike no other film I have ever seen, the acting in th
    Is film is just riveting. Clint Eastwood deserved an Academy win, not a nomination. His acting was just moving and amazing throughout. He wasn't a lovable character, but Clint showed his character had a heart and was memorable all the same. Hillary Swank was outstanding, deserving her Oscar. Morgan Freeman is always a man to love. His comedic, nonchalant acting in this was stupendous. No wonder people always say he should get an Oscar for every film he does. The directing from Clint Eastwood was great, too. He always knows how to make a movie the right way. He should be directing all the intelligent and moving films out there, and then Hollywood would be even better than it is now. In the end, the movie is all about believing, which is risking it all for a dream that nobody sees...but you.
  8. Apr 1, 2012
    This is a 10 out of 10 movie. Great performances. Everyone gives just phenomenal performances. Story is quite remarkable. Score is good. Boxing. Matches are well made. They look great. This is one of the best sports movie ever. Overall, this is a great film. You really should see it. It such a remarkable film.
  9. Jun 8, 2013
    A brilliant masterpiece! For me, this is one of the best films of the decade. This is the film that Clint Eastwood will be remembered for. Such a great, touching story. Hilary Swank and Morgan Freeman are simply stunning!
  10. Jul 17, 2014
    One of the best movies I've ever seen. The ending may be morally confused, but from a critical standpoint I really can't find any flaws in the whole movie. It's so poignant, so powerfully acted, and so well written that I'm going to go out on a limb and call it a true masterpiece. Eastwood's direction is impeccable, and the film's emotions feel real, natural, and unforced. The characters also seem like real people instead of just the usual cardboard cutouts. I could go on forever. This movie is great. Expand
  11. Sep 19, 2013
    Million Dollar Baby is a very emotional drama about boxing, and actually competes with Rocky for the title of best boxing movie. Stallone might win, but this movie definitely deserves the silver medal.
  12. Nov 13, 2013
    Great Movie the ending almost made me cry. its not like other movies because there is no guns or sex and crap it is just a simple movie.so 10/10. watch the movie now!
  13. chw
    Oct 18, 2014
    Million Dollar Baby was awesome. Jay Baruchel acts as if he acts the way he does all the time, same with Morgan Freeman, Clint Eastwood, and Hilary Swank.
  14. Jun 5, 2014
    Million Dollar Baby is about a passionate female boxer who wants to make it with the guidance of frankie dunn played by (clint eastwood) clint eastwod also directed this movie and did a great job of it. hillary swank delivers a great performance in this as well as the rest of the cast. dont want to give much away, but this is a just see!
  15. Aug 25, 2014
    Million Dollar Baby is a masterpiece that I honestly predicted a cheesy ending for. When I was near the third act I stopped guessing, and tears forced out of my eyes because this movie hits the right note at the appropriate time, when it ended I was totally convinced this is a great showpiece, and I still am.
  16. Sep 10, 2014
    There are few movies that can tug at me emotionally. But This one put me on the verge of tears. You fall in love with Swank and her character. The way she compliments the performances of Morgan Freeman and Clint Eastwood just creates a powerhouse of a movie. Well done. Boxing is a sport that tends to show up in movies a lot but that is only because it has so many metaphorical connotations and digs at our own willpower to be fighters in our own lives, which is personified in this film. It's a different angle considering the fighter is a female. It gives more room to broaden the audience and be a significant and entertaining stand point for both guys and girls. It confronts the conflict of families, what makes them and what breaks them. It brings reality to the cost of chasing a dream. Watch it. The end will make you want to strangle someone, or just cry, one of the two. Expand

1. Under Eastwood's painstakingly stripped-down direction -- his filmmaking has become the cinematic equivalent of Hemingway's spare though precise prose -- the story emerges as that rarest of birds, an uplifting tragedy.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Staying at the top of his game when most of his contemporaries have long since hung up their gloves, Clint Eastwood delivers another knockout punch with Million Dollar Baby.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Eastwood takes the audience to raw, profoundly moving places. If you fear strong emotions, this is not for you. But if you want to see Hollywood filmmaking at its most potent, Eastwood has delivered the real deal.