5.5

1. Jul 9, 2012
    Honestly...I couldnt watch this. This is not Michael Ealy's best work. He did way better in Think Like A Man. It's not that this movie is horrible...it's just...incredibly dry...why I guess do make it horrible?..
  2. Jan 17, 2012
    Self indulgent, weird pacing, forgettable characters, odd wannabe cute moments, misplaced emotional scenes. It gets a 2 for the interesting opening and for some of the performances.
  3. Mar 12, 2011
    Though some of the plot lines seem implausible, I like what Spike Lee did with this movie! My favorite character in the movie is Staff Sergeant Stamps. He is viewed by Sergeant Bishop as an "Uncle Tom", but he also questions fighting for a country that oppresses him and his race! Great Job Derek Luke! Sergeant Bishop plays the part of the man who loses his faith in God and Humanity and retreats to his Ethno-Centric ways, but talking to Private Train keeps him in check. Private Train exhibits a simple childlike faith which was also well done! Corporal Negron exhibits an ADULT faith. He "knows who his Father is". The overarching theme is that war brings people of different beliefs together and can bring out the BEST and the WORST in people! Another STRIKING scene in the film is the scene when the 92nd Division holds a prayer service, and then the scene cuts to the Italian townspeople in Church praying and cuts to the DESCENT German soldier who saved the boy praying. All praying to the same GOD! Even the war weary German officer who hands his Luger to Corporal Negron and tells him to "Defend yourself" is showing compassion! The ending is SUPERB! All actors played their respective parts VERY WELL! Expand

1. Odd too, for a film that wants to correct impression anyone had as to the abilities of black U.S. soldier in combat, are the ethnic cliches about Italians and Germans, to say nothing of rednecks.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    This is a sloppy stew in which the ingredients of battle action, murder mystery, little-kid sentiment and history lesson don't mix well.
  3. When Lee isn't doing cinematic somersaults or mining for injustice, he doesn't seem to know where to put the camera. The logistics of the plot make no sense, and he has nothing to sell but the theme of our common humanity--in which, on the evidence, I don't think he believes.