7.3

1. Hemispheres
    Jul 3, 2008
    Genghis Khan's reputation is more positive in the East than it is here in the West, where his very name is synonymous with mindless, rampaging violence. This film is supposedly the first of a trilogy of the Khan's life and is relatively light on exposition and high on drama. It's fun and fairly mindless entertainment with charismatic performances, especially from Honglei Genghis Khan's reputation is more positive in the East than it is here in the West, where his very name is synonymous with mindless, rampaging violence. This film is supposedly the first of a trilogy of the Khan's life and is relatively light on exposition and high on drama. It's fun and fairly mindless entertainment with charismatic performances, especially from Honglei Sun, whose glittering performance jumps from the screen. On a side note: In my opinion the following line from another review is really, really funny: "Perhaps Mel Gibson is the only filmmaker who would be willing to make an honest film about the Mongol leader." Expand
  2. ErnestS.
    Sep 6, 2008
    Amazing movie! completely entertaining and satisfyingly educational. After completing this film I was inspired to find out more information about genghis khan's empire and family. Everyone should see this, its just great.
  3. RyanS.
    Jul 7, 2008
    Chad S. from the advance scout team must be a typical westerner who thinks Genghis Khan was just a mindless murderer, like another review said, his reputation is more positive in the east than in the west. Someone might as well make a movie that emphasizes all the bad and awful things George Bush has done.
  4. MichaelB.
    Jul 8, 2008
    It's sort of like Braveheart with Asian people instead of Scots, but with maybe a fifth of the action. I would definitely recommend it if you have an interest in history (especially in that of Khan himself), but if you're looking for a huge action flick, this just isn't it.
  5. JulianP.
    Jul 8, 2008
    It was excellent, who ever said that only alexander the great had feelings and cared for his family. It is always good to show the human side of tyrants.
  6. JayH.
    Oct 12, 2008
    7.5/10. Magnificent production, the cinematography and art direction is amazing. Great acting and direction, believably told and very convincing. It does have some slow stretches and it is overlong, but well worth seeing.
  7. RH
    Jun 22, 2008
    Incredible movie! Far beyond anything Hollywood is making any more. It is particularly refreshing to see battle scenes with thousands of real people... instead of CGI. It makes a huge difference! Everything about this movie is impressive. Location scenes are incredible. The movie grabs you and doesn't let go. I can't wait for the next installment. I wish there were more movies Incredible movie! Far beyond anything Hollywood is making any more. It is particularly refreshing to see battle scenes with thousands of real people... instead of CGI. It makes a huge difference! Everything about this movie is impressive. Location scenes are incredible. The movie grabs you and doesn't let go. I can't wait for the next installment. I wish there were more movies of this quality! Expand
  8. Tj
    Jun 23, 2008
    I really don't know what the people giving this a low rating are talking about. Go see the movie on the big screen. It is beautifully shot and the acting is first rate. If you really want amazing special effects, then go to a different film. But, if you want to see a film that is sometimes slow (it isn't that slow!) but images and faces that will stay in your mind, I say go to I really don't know what the people giving this a low rating are talking about. Go see the movie on the big screen. It is beautifully shot and the acting is first rate. If you really want amazing special effects, then go to a different film. But, if you want to see a film that is sometimes slow (it isn't that slow!) but images and faces that will stay in your mind, I say go to the theater. Expand
  9. EvanT.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Think of 300, except refer to it as cakewalk when discussing this movie.
  10. Gus
    Jun 30, 2008
    Excellent historical epic with great use of visual imagery and symbolic metaphors. Solid storytelling and great, if not short, choreographed battle scenes.
  11. RobertI.
    Jun 22, 2008
    Made for a wide screen, the Mongolian steppe serves as backdrop for ambition and worlds to conquer. We veer through the battles, which erupt and evanesce like thunderstorms, hoping to see the great Khan seated on his throne. When will part Two debut?
  12. TheoB
    Jun 26, 2008
    All I can say is, "You can't cook two ram heads in the same pot".
  13. Jan 15, 2016
    Mongol is quite a good film, but does feel a bit incomplete, largely because the rest of the planned trilogy has yet to come to fruition. As a stand alone film, it is technically brilliant and wonderfully acted. However, I did feel as though the direction could have been a bit more inspired. As is, Mongol was glacially slow at times and was a little too eager to have CGI blood effects.Mongol is quite a good film, but does feel a bit incomplete, largely because the rest of the planned trilogy has yet to come to fruition. As a stand alone film, it is technically brilliant and wonderfully acted. However, I did feel as though the direction could have been a bit more inspired. As is, Mongol was glacially slow at times and was a little too eager to have CGI blood effects. That being said, of course, Sergei Bodrov's direction of the battle sequences was fantastic, but the film really does a great job painting a picture of who Genghis Khan was before he became Khan. If something deserved to see its trilogy come to fruition, it is most certainly this film as it would honestly help bolster this one up a bit if it was able to be analyzed as merely one piece of a series. However, as of right now, Mongol is still a really good film that was a bit too slow, but brilliant characterization and acting really elevate this one to a different level. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Will Lawrence
    With its breathtaking landscapes, bloody battles, bitter betrayals and an aching love story, Mongol is a sumptuously crafted epic.
  2. Reviewed by: Alissa Simon
    This Central Asia-set historical epic from Russian helmer Sergei Bodrov ("Nomad") boasts breathtaking landscapes, dazzling cinematography, bloody battles and unique traditions.
    Last year's Academy Award nominee from Kazakhstan for Best Foreign Film, Mongol is purportedly the first in a multi-film saga on the wrath of Khan; as such, it's probably the last thing you'd expect--great fun.