7.8

1. Jun 21, 2013
    If you're like me and you were extremely disappointed with "Brave" and "Cars 2" then SEE THIS MOVIE! It only proves that Pixar still has that magic touch that many skeptics were saying had faded. I saw it on an unfortunately small screen and I was still excited the entire time. This movie is also worth seeing in 3D. The animation is amazing. #seeit
  2. Jun 29, 2013
    I was pleasant with Monsters University. I was disappointed with Cars 2 and Brave then I had to see this movie because I love Monsters, Inc. It turns out that Monsters University is surprisingly imaginative and hilarious, with clever moments and insightful animation.
  3. Jun 23, 2013
    Being as I was a child when the original Monsters Inc. released. I went to this movie with one of my buddies, as we were the only lone late teenagers there it seemed a bit off for the parents we were the two freaking out the most. If you had time as a kid to grow up with these movies they add so many little things from the original one into the movie, they add characters, items, and even phrases. All these little cameos and being able to relive my childhood for that hour and half was amazing. Not just the movie made me appreciate not only the film it self. But growing up sucks. Fantastic piece of nostalgia and a fantastic film. Expand
  4. Jun 21, 2013
    If you want to have a great time, if you are sad or simply you want to avoid your problems, "Monsters University is your film". It's true Monsters University has no electrifying images but it a good film, like one night at the disco. Laughes are guaranteed.
  5. Jun 22, 2013
    Until Monsters University, a new origin story set several years before the action of Monsters, Inc., [Pixar] had never attempted a prequel. You wonder what took them so long, because the characters Mike (voice of Billy Crystal) and Sulley (John Goodman) are funny enough and their relationship rich enough to make the back story worth telling. The result is a charming addition to the Monsters canon.
  6. Jun 29, 2013
    Pixar, you did it again! Like many other Pixar movies, this one was a charm to watch and it achieved to deliver some good laughs and some surprisingly heartwarming moments. But let's say that it isn't perfect. It had some very clever and funny jokes but some just felt kinda dumb and meaningless like the majority of the animated movies that have come out in these past years. Also the movie's second act felt a little empty.
    But at the beginning of MU I was laughing at many clever things that I notices and I was surprised at an unexpected turn that the prologue took. Speaking of surprises, the third act of this movie was my favorite part of it and maybe one of my favorite "final part" of any Pixar movie. It was clever, surprising and emotionally charged!
    Also one little thing that I want to highlight is the university man! They did an awesome job building it and creating the ambient of it. Especially at one scene at night I am gonna say, I felt in Disney Land. It was colorful and living.
    So in the end this movie was what I expect a good Pixar movie to be and I hope they keep in this direction and not stray into another (I'm talking to you Cars 2).
  7. Jun 30, 2013
    This a great movie, and an awesome prequel that stays true to original monsters inc feel. It is great for the whole family, with comedy oriented for both children and adults. This is a type of movie where you dont have to see the original to enjoy, although there may be some references that are from the original movie. After seeing monsters unversity it just makes me want to see monsters inc again. My only complaint about this,and all other pixar movies is the long wait between the sequels, almost ten years wait after every movie! Expand
  8. Jul 6, 2013
    WOW!! What a movie! I got my son to not be scared by watching Monsters Inc. and the sequel did not disappoint. I loved sitting next to him in the audience and watching him light up from cheek to cheek with constant smiles. In fact, watching the movie made me reminisce about the past when I was scared of monsters. Pixar nailed this one and to me, it is an instant childhood classic.
  9. Aug 9, 2013
    This movie is actually good.The movie is funny and has a good story.This movie might not be as good as the first one but still I consider this as one of the best movies this year.
  10. Jun 23, 2013
    NO MAJOR SPOILERS
    This is basically a love letter for fans of the first movie. Monsters, Inc. was my favorite movie of all time and University has so many details that will have you remind yourself from the first movie. For example, the monster from the first movie that had a human sock stuck in his back shows up a few times and these little moments bring a lot of nostalgia.
    MU isn't the
    best movie ever; as this is a prequel to Monsters, Inc. it's missing a key emotional element, Boo, which makes it much more a comedy movie than an emotional journey; but Monsters University does have a lesson to learn from that hasn't been much explored by many other motion pictures and if you see the movie you'll understand me.
    Monsters University isn't as heart warming and well scripted as the first movie, but it isn't really meant to be. It's meant to be a fun prequel serving as a love letter to fans of the brilliant Monsters Inc. And it does so very well.
  11. Jul 30, 2013
    Monsters University isn't exactly Pixar's best movie, but offers a hilarious, fun filled attempt. It's not as good as the original, but is just as funny, and has possibly more likable characters like Art; the reason why it isn't as good is because the story isn't as strong as it's predecessor and doesn't offer as much emotion-grabbing scenes, also, I'm kinda nostalgik about the original, but this new one is brilliant, as it has a hilarious script and moments, fun action scenes, and great character building. My favourite character of the film has to be Art, he is hilarious! I love the action filled suspence and comedy of the 'Scare Games', and like the unexpecdted twists, but I don't want to spoil anything. So I give this film a... 94/100! Expand
  12. Aug 27, 2013
    Not a 10/10 masterpiece like Toy Story or Finding Nemo however for its premise it does everything right. I enjoyed the whole thing, never felt bored, laughed out loud and even had some great nostalgic moments!
  13. Dec 25, 2013
    Although it doesn't have the heart of its original, Monsters University is worth the wait with its interesting and entertaning origins of our favorite characters.
  14. Jun 28, 2013
    Another film to add to Pixar's classics. I enjoyed it even more than the original. While there is no Boo to make the film sentimental, the film's messages are poignant enough without her. Highly recommended.
  15. Jun 27, 2013
    Monsters university is a fantastic movie, and a really great prequel to the original, monsters inc, which was released 12 years ago. im not going to blow the plot, ill leave that to you, the viewer. however what i can say, is that this movie is one of those movies that just gets everything right. characters, animation, atmosphere, music, story,everything this movie does is top notch, and fits perfectly to coincide with monsters inc, it doesnt add or take away anything crucial from its predecessor. the movie also has alot of great messages, that not only work for kids, but also for older viewers as well, and the main message of the movie is suprisingly realistic, rather that just an obvious message in a perfect world, that youll see when you watch the movie. its also good to note that the movie looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous, especially in 3d, and the voice acting is top notch, with billy crystal and john goodman as mike and sully gicing fantastic performances. the jokes are very funny as well. the movie also has alot of ups and downs that i feel are well executed, as well as parts that really tug at the heartstrings. I grew up with monsters inc as a kid, and seeing as this will be my first year of college, it makes this movie even more special, and that was the targeted audience for this movie. similair to how toy story 3 was released for the kids of its generation, that are now grown up and going away to school, so was this one. this is the best pixar movie ive seen in a while, and i highly reccomend it to any kids, or teens that grew up with the first movie. it really is a special movie, and its one of the best pixar movies ive seen in a while. Expand
  16. Jul 19, 2013
    well written script with decent animations and full of humor .So hard to guess the story even in a an animation movie so curiosity there till the end.This the best animation movie after the croods in 2013
  17. Jun 21, 2013
    Monsters University is great, of course the first one is better, but this has all the good elements the sequel has. Its funny, has a very entertaining story, deep relationship between Mike and Sully, and of course, lots of amazing designed monsters.
  18. Jul 10, 2013
    Wow, I went into this movie with skepticism and doubt and came out a believe in Pixar's ability to create meaningful, originally entertaining sequels! Well, Monster's University is a PRE-quel, but you know what I mean. This movie shared the same heart as the first Monster's movie and it was as cute, funny, and endearing as the first one. I really liked that they did not use the movie as an opportunity to parody college, but instead painted an interesting back story using it as the setting for the Monsters. All in all, great fun. I will add that I would give the first movie a 10, too, so that's where this 10 is coming from as well a fan of the first. If you haven't seen it, don't worry, you don't need to, but if you DID see the first and you didn't like it, you probably won't like this one. Expand
  19. Jul 12, 2013
    I was very impressed with this sequel to Monsters, Inc. I didn't know what it would be like but they knew exactly what they were doing and have made one hell of a sequel fit with new characters and a great concept It's interesting watching how Mike & Sully meet and the prequel idea worked very well despite me having doubts. A lot of it is fun for the kids but big kids at heart like myself will still certainly enjoy it, especially fans of the first film. Overall a big thumbs up! Expand
  20. Jul 1, 2013
    This movies is so freaking good! It starts kind of slow but then it engages you until the end and it really does an excellent job. I am 20 and i was laughing like a child at the theatre, mainly because the connection to the previous movie. Totally recommended.
  21. Sep 1, 2013
    M.U was just as heart felt as i was expecting and i loved every moment of it and the last half an hour stole the show, really showing a strong bond between mike and sulley. The only characters i didn't like were the oozma kappas this is because they were to cliche. with the exception of the old man, i don't know but i liked him. Why, oh why are pixar so good at making me emotional unlike any other film. I love pixar. Expand
  22. Aug 16, 2013
    Very entertaining film, packed with great jokes and humor, a very satisfying prequel. The plot was interesting and had some great characters, not leaving you bored at all. Highly recommended
  23. Sep 9, 2013
    This is probably my favorite Pixar movie ever. It was so funny. My sisters and I really enjoyed it. It gave me an idea of what college is really like. It made me want to see the first movie again.
  24. Jun 22, 2013
    "Monsters University" is way too better than latest Pixar movies (Brave, Cars 2) this movie is still funny, entertaining and full of heart, but it isn't big as the first one which is a classic, still Monsters University is really good and worth the watch and wait.
  25. Jun 23, 2013
    It is the best movie I've ever seen. The graphics were really awesome and I was crying at the end. The third act is also very interesting but I don't want to spoil anything. It is simply the best movie I've ever seen.
  26. Jun 28, 2013
    An amazing follow up to the classic Monsters Inc that will leave you wanting more! The soundtrack is great! And the story line is awesome. No matter your age, you will love this movie!
  27. Jul 4, 2013
    While the only thing that stops it from becoming a masterpiece is the fact that it is a prequel (which almost every prequel suffers with), "Monsters University" is a true delight. With a hilarious tale with emotion put into it, "Monsters University" uses the wit of its world to create a delightful and hilarious origin for the original Pixar film, "Monsters Inc.".
    The first act, which
    starts out well, shows the story of Mike Wazowski, and it is done quite well. The writers in the film did a wonderful job displaying the perfect explanation of college life and it gives a bunch of laughs to any person who has dealt with the difficult life in college. While the first act turns into the second act, it can slightly edge towards a more kid-friendly idea. The second act, which features the "Scare Games", may be predictable, as it deals with underdogs coming to the top, but its use of its world puts depth into each round if the competition. As the movie takes a surprisingly twist to the third act, the movie enters to an dark and deep climax that clicks with the message, and makes this movie stronger and deeper in emotions. The ending will lead towards the beginning of "Monsters Inc.", which I truly enjoyed, knowing that I could watch the movie right after. Overall, the first act and the third act are more powerful towards the message in the movie (I won't spoil it to readers who haven't watched the movie yet), and in my case, are the more powerful parts to this film. The second act is fun and enjoyable, but it lacks the Pixar quality compared to the brilliant parts that come with the first and third act. To some what sum the message in the movie, it is one that many kid movies wouldn't even think of telling, and once again proves that Pixar is at the top of the animated class. While "Monsters University" has a not too deep and a predictable second act, it is still a wonderful, hilarious, and beautifully animated film, as the first and third act strengthened it.
    While although the score doesn't seem high on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes, I am concerned due to the fact that this movie isn't as bad as it was rated from several critics, and when reading several reviews, it leads me to believe that several critics judge the film to what they wanted to see, and not whats there. The fact of the matter is, you shouldn't judge films based on their studio's streak, and you should judge from what's there. If you can enjoy "Monsters University" for what it is and not how good it is compared to other Pixar classics, you are almost guaranteed to have a wonderful and enjoyable time.
  28. Jul 6, 2013
    Even with the G rating, Monster University is enjoyable for all ages. This film features strong plot, unique character, nice characters development and also some gleeful humor. even this film is not as thrilling as Monster Inc, this film is this year must see film.
  29. Jul 11, 2013
    (skip to the last paragraph for a concise one-sentence summary and a number)
    I don’t know why, but I felt powerfully attached to Monsters University. It may be because Monsters Inc. was one of my favorite Pixar movies of all time. It may also be because I am currently around the age of our protagonists, so I can attest to their struggles. Or maybe, just maybe, it’s because Mike Wazowski
    and James Sullivan are the best frenemies to hit the big screen since Pixar’s older Woody and Buzz.
    Mike Wazowski is determined, but at a disadvantage, since he isn’t scary. James Sullivan is laidback, but at an advantage, since he’s scary as hell (he’s also legacy, but I’d rather not rant about legacy kids on a film critique). So why is the banter between these polar opposites so amusing to children and adults alike? It’s because they’re both a little obnoxious. They’ve got enough sour taste in each other to animate the screen almost as well as the crisp-clear animation software used to make the film (which is seriously praiseworthy).
    Technique-wise, the film rarely fails. Sure, the plotline may be a little formulaic and linear, but the plot twists are just enough to keep both the story and the character development moving. Even near the end of the film, you’ll find some sappy emotion we’ve come to expect from Pixar.
    In conclusion, this is what I have to say: Monsters University is not only the best and most charismatic animated film of the year thus far; it is also a testament to Pixar’s glory years and a sign that maybe Cars 2 and Brave were just a depressing phase that Pixar is hopefully passing. (I’d also like to laud Helen Mirren’s character, Dean Hardscrabble. She is one tough cookie you’ll both enjoy and fear watching)

FINAL SCORE: 85 (excitingly great ----------o---------- almost perfect)
  30. Jan 22, 2014
    The best Disney movie I've seen in my whole life. That's actually better than Monsters, Inc. and all of this bulls*** released by Disney nowadays. Watch it now!
  31. Jul 21, 2013
    Pixar's creativity seems endless, but definitively they can do it even better.
    Story, characters, rhythm, lots of color and fun: I think is a great combo!
  32. Aug 18, 2013
    Monsters University is evidence that Pixar still have both the originality, and the talent to create compelling animation films that offer audiences something a little different. A prequel to the first film, the plot centres around Mike and Sully's first encounters, student life and being the scariest monster on campus, all in a tone that is both light hearted and engaging.
    The film
    offers comedy that will appeal to both old and young viewers alike, as well as making several references to the original Monster's Inc. story, explaining how certain characters came to be. A definite recommend, an enjoyable film and one that should be celebrated. Expand
  33. Aug 9, 2013
    The movie is so awesome, the quality of animation very amazing, look like the real
    i hope disney pixar can make more great and good animation..

DioSW
  34. Sep 12, 2013
    Pretty nice animation. Great. A day ago before going to cinema i watched "Monsters Inc.". Nice animation, nice. Very nice. I loved it! I definitely recommend it to you if you fan of "Monsters Inc." ESPECIALLY. Really nice movie. Pixar always make a good movies & animations.
  35. Nov 14, 2013
    My kids are mad at the point of the film. Amazing animation. Cool humor main characters. Sound masterpiece. I look forward to the next part. Recommend seen on the big screen, preferably in IMax. Simply Bliss
  36. Dec 22, 2013
    Monsters University is Pixar's first prequel and none other the less manages to bring the total scope of the story from Pixar's Monsters Inc. (2001). It's flicking sweet and provides more of a solid performance than its sequel (Monster's Inc.) centered on the two main protagonist Mike (Billy Crystal) and Sully (John Goodman). And now for the first time Pixar has introduced their very first prequel this film actually better thought as a fun family entertainment for all ages,

More on centered from the life of the two main characters. This film shows exactly the whole life of the two and the rest of all the characters in Monsters Inc. Undeniably more good than its sequel better than out to be. It also bring us their bond, closeness, friendship, family, and hilariously funny moments. It has more of the heart from 104 minutes of awesome 3D experience from Pixar

Rating 9 10
  37. Jan 15, 2014
    This movie is just awesome! .
  38. May 22, 2014
    Pixar is a master of movies and also this one. this is the most funniest movie in summer 2013. the voices from the first monsters Inc. sounds the same.
  39. Apr 19, 2014
    Another great movie by Pixar and one of my favourite Pixar movies ever just behind the first Monsters Inc. movie. Animation and voice acting are incredible. There were so many jokes thrown in you can't help yourself but to laugh. I love Mike Wazowski he is so funny and one of my favourite movie characters. Was waiting a long time for a second Monsters movie and I was not disappointed. .
  40. Apr 29, 2014
    Pixar never ceases to amaze me. In almost every movie, if not all, they always have a signature theme: life. The surprising thing about MU is that it's pretty much accurate to how college works in real life. If you're not cut out for it then you're flunked and when you're flunked, that will leave a bad record on you that will haunt your lifetime as you live on. So face it, you're a loser but that doesn't mean that you can't get what you want anymore. If you want it, then get it, believe that you can get it, and bake the cake no matter what are the stakes. Before you even know it, you're already standing on holy ground.
    I highly recommend this for high schoolers going to college. If you don't know what it's like then I suggest you get a glimpse of it even if it's in an other worldy (Monster world) view.
    Overall, this movie was very inspirational. I hope to watch another Pixar masterpiece in the near future.
  41. Oct 19, 2014
    Mike Wazowski and James P. Sullivan weren't always an inseparable pair. From the moment these two mismatched monsters met they couldn’t stand each other. Monsters University reveals how Mike and Sulley overcame their differences and became the best of friends.

1. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Jul 12, 2013
    Pixar falls back on the tried and tested in an entertaining caper that will be a surefire kid pleaser this summer. Old favourites are always welcome, but it would have been nice to see some more new ideas too.
  2. Reviewed by: Trevor Johnston
    Jul 12, 2013
    While Monsters University can’t claim outright originality, this is a far richer movie than most were expecting.
  3. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin
    Jul 12, 2013
    The animation is photoreal – startlingly and mesmerisingly so. And the depth of feeling the tale of their friendship evokes is matched only by your incredulity, as you paw at your eyes six minutes later, that you are crying about two computer-generated umbrellas.