6.7

1. Aug 2, 2011
    Great little film, but to truly understand what an astonishing achievement it was you really need to watch the 2 hr making of doc that comes on the blu-ray. A 4 man crew, no script, all shot on the fly and improvised by (real life couple) Scoot and Whitney, no other paid actors and just making use of whatever or whoever came into view, then edited down from over 100 hours of footage, with over 250 cgi shots done by 1 man using essentially shop bought software. Gareth Edwards is a man going places. If he can make a film like this with less money than Michael Bay spends on a haircut imagine what he could do with a proper budget and full freedom to create what he wants with it!! Expand
  2. Jan 24, 2011
    A bunch of octopuses floating in the sky was the best part of the movie. Need I say more? Yes. That movies sucked so hard I got bored while I was stoned.
  3. May 1, 2011
    I was initially surprised by the ratings this movie has received. The film is astoundingly simple, true, but it is equally beautiful. In a lot of ways it reminded me of Lost in Translation, capturing the building relationship between two strangers. When it was over my mom essentially said that nothing had happened, and I feel that most people will see this movie and think the same thing. However, I believe they're highly mistaken. I recommend people put their expectations aside and give this a try. Expand
  4. Dec 7, 2010
    slow-paced and beautiful. I can't say much more than that, and I don't want to big up the ending and ruin it for anyone - but I loved it. I'd give it a 9 but i'll give it a 10 to get the score higher (Y)
  5. Nov 3, 2010
    This movie completely blew me away. It's very slow paced, so if you can't handle that, it's not for you. It reminds me of Tarkovsky's Stalker, both in rhythm and thematics. The creature is a perfect rendition of Cthulhu, that alone grants it new levels of awesome. And Jon Hopkins Ambient music crows it all, in a perfectly meditative reflexive experience. I totally recommend it.
  6. Dec 9, 2010
    Monsters was absolutely astounding. Everything about this film was nigh on perfect, from the very well crafted, yet simplistic titular 'Monsters', to the cinematography, the score and the acting. The one thing I can complain about is that the promoters chose to size it up next to Michael Bay's 'Crapline' in the UK and unfortunately, this film just won't get the viewers it really should be doing. If you're a fan of classic Sci-fi/drama in the vein of early 'JAWS' (1/2), then this is certainly the movie for you and a great way to round out a year of otherwise terrible cinema. Expand
  7. maz
    Mar 29, 2011
    This film was very 'empty' with an extremely weak plot. The story had the potential to make a good film but nothing really happened in the film.
    I certainly would not class it as a thrilling sci-fi film, rather, a boring, a very boring, a very, very boring and poorly-acted film. I regret wasting my time watching it!
  8. May 2, 2013
    I began this movie expecting a bad B science fiction alien/monster film to have playing in the background while working on my computer. I was astonished to find this expectation completely wrong. I was sucked into this movie from the beginning, to such a degree that I had to pause the film to research the director, actors, and soundtrack artist in utter disbelief, wondering the entire time how and why I hadn't heard of them before. I can't decide which aspect was my favorite between the building suspense, character development, or breathtaking soundtrack. I feel that despite its low budget (something I didn't even realize while watching the movie), the film still delivers a poetry that is rarely captured in film. This is only accentuated by the film's slower pace, soundtrack (Jon Hopkins), and ending.

The best (and most concise) review I can offer: although I'm operating on a college student budget, I would purchase this movie at a moment's glance simply to have access to it for years to come.
  9. Sep 25, 2013
    Great Road Movie in Sci-Fi style on a low budget picture that proves no gender is difficult with a good idea.
    Serious camera work great acting on a Mexico-USA crossing of the border where the humans are the aliens.

1. Reviewed by: Lou Lumenick
    Dec 13, 2010
    The only thing remotely scary about Monsters is that Magnolia is releasing this boring scare-, suspense- and gore-free horror movie (which reportedly cost less than $100,000) on Halloween weekend.
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Dec 13, 2010
    The new creature feature Monsters is an intriguing mash-up of "District 9," "The Host" and assorted recent post-apocalypse road pictures.
  3. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Dec 13, 2010
    Monsters, like a serpent eating its own tail, comes back on itself in ways that haunt, and hurt.