8.4

1. Sep 2, 2014
    The spawn of David Bowie joins the film industry with what? A one-of-a-kind space drama featuring gifted actors, Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey. We aren't surprised in the least. Moon takes a look at our future with the Moon and the progression of cloning in society.
  2. Nov 28, 2012
    UK Director Duncan Jones makes his debut with "Moon", the story of a man who experiences a personal crisis as he nears the end of a three-year solitary stint mining helium-3 on the far side of the Earth's moon. That's about all I can say about the plot without spoiling anything, other than the fact that it is very interesting, original, and, even at times, emotional. Sam Rockwell gives aUK Director Duncan Jones makes his debut with "Moon", the story of a man who experiences a personal crisis as he nears the end of a three-year solitary stint mining helium-3 on the far side of the Earth's moon. That's about all I can say about the plot without spoiling anything, other than the fact that it is very interesting, original, and, even at times, emotional. Sam Rockwell gives a very affecting performance as Sam Bell, the troubled astronaut minor, and Kevin Spacey gives a very memorable performance as the voice of Bell's robot companion GERTY. In terms of the script, I felt that it was fairly well written - The dialogue was engaging and realistic. The special effects are very impressive, considering that this movie only had a 5 million dollar budget. Another aspect that I found to be fairly unique was the soundtrack. At the climax of this film I found myself whistling the movie's main theme song - something that is hard to get me to do. In the end, I feel that "Moon" is a worthy addition into the "Hard Sci-Fi" genre. It kept me interested throughout the film and even forced me ponder it's many convoluted ideas after it was over. Pretty cool stuff. Expand
  3. Nov 17, 2012
    An absolute revival of the thought provoking, visionary science-fiction film, which has been dead since Dark City in 1998.
  4. Jul 14, 2014
    Overall, this one is pretty good. It is not great as many would have you believe nor is it criminally underrated. If anything at this point, it is a tad overrated. That is not to say is not quite good, though, as it is. Sam Rockwell is great and I love Kevin Spacey's voice acting here (the robot voiced by Spacey is 110% influenced by HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey). The special effectsOverall, this one is pretty good. It is not great as many would have you believe nor is it criminally underrated. If anything at this point, it is a tad overrated. That is not to say is not quite good, though, as it is. Sam Rockwell is great and I love Kevin Spacey's voice acting here (the robot voiced by Spacey is 110% influenced by HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey). The special effects were also incredibly cool, but were not the focus, rather the focus of this one was on the story and Rockwell, to great effect. The effects were certainly great in a more "supporting" role though. In addition, this futuristic world is very well developed and established, which makes the story feel incredibly believeable. The story is also very interesting and well put together, so kudos to Jones for the script and his direction. However, I never really saw why this one has become an obsession for many. It was darn good and was certainly well done making it worthy of some praise, but it was anything but extraordinary to me. Expand
  5. j30
    Sep 20, 2011
    One of the two great science fiction movies to come out this year, District 9 being the other. It has a climax that'll make your head spin. I can't recommend this enough. Sam Rockwell is a revelation as astronaut Sam Bell just about to finish his three year stint on the moon which isn't all what it's cracked up to be.
  6. Oct 13, 2012
    Moon is a devastatingly sad sci-fi movie featuring an amazing performance from Sam Rockwell. This is intelligent, well thought out and written science fiction in the vein of 2001: A Space Odyssey. The fact that Moon survives such monumental comparisons strongly attests to how great a movie it is.
  7. Feb 24, 2013
    Great film! The critics loved it, and it's plain to see why. Moon is an amazing directorial debut from Duncan Jones, and Sam Rockwell gives an incredible performance. He gives a stunning, Oscar caliber performance. Also, the story was well thought-out, unique, and really intriguing and interesting. Unlike anything I have ever seen, really. I also liked that it incorporated a few of theGreat film! The critics loved it, and it's plain to see why. Moon is an amazing directorial debut from Duncan Jones, and Sam Rockwell gives an incredible performance. He gives a stunning, Oscar caliber performance. Also, the story was well thought-out, unique, and really intriguing and interesting. Unlike anything I have ever seen, really. I also liked that it incorporated a few of the good elements of 2001: A Space Odyssey, like the robot, Gerty's, appearance, and the classical musical score. Excellent music by Clint Mansell. I even thought the special effects and computer generated sequences were good, especially for a low budget of only 5 million dollars. Pretty impressive! Moon is an excellent example of a great Sci-Fi film. For me, this simple yet sophisticated movie delivers in every way one can. Story, acting, emotion, music, mystery, humor, conflict, scenery, setting, there was even a little romance and a fight scene. I definitely recommend this film to everyone! Expand
  8. Aug 2, 2013
    I personally found Moon to be a very interesting and thought-provoking movie that was also deeply stirring and emotional. The great score by Clint Mansell (the genius behind Requiem for a Dream's music) gave the scenes an auxiliary touching effect and Sam Rockwell acts absolutely masterfully. The visuals are definitely not as interesting as in some other movies of its genre, yet the lookI personally found Moon to be a very interesting and thought-provoking movie that was also deeply stirring and emotional. The great score by Clint Mansell (the genius behind Requiem for a Dream's music) gave the scenes an auxiliary touching effect and Sam Rockwell acts absolutely masterfully. The visuals are definitely not as interesting as in some other movies of its genre, yet the look is quite an achievement if you consider the small budget. An issue that pretty much everyone will face while watching Moon is that it tends to be quite tedious and you will really lose interest during some of the long wordless shots. However, that didn't bother me that much since there were lots of other well-made scenes and the general feeling I had while watching the movie, which was an unsettling sadness. Moon is relatively unique and impressing and I'd recommend it to everyone who appreciates material to think about when watching a movie. Expand
  9. Mar 8, 2014
    The film is potentially confusing in places, and this makes you more and more intrigued. Both the story and the script are very intelligent, and the actors are great.
  10. May 12, 2014
    "I'm Here To Help You Sam"

"I'm Here To Help You Sam"

Well this is the second time i have watched MOON and i just have to say that this is now one of my favorite Sci-fi films ever. First time Director Duncan Jones absolutely nailed it when he made this film he proves that you don't need a large budget to make a masterpiece. With only a budget of 5 million dollars the special effects looked amazing iv'e seen movies with a 100m budget with worse effects that's just plain sad. Some of the scenes reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey like the one when classical music was playing and it shows a lengthy shot of the earth slowly rotating that for sure was a nod to 2001 at least it seemed like it to me.

The Performance by Sam Rockwell was flawless he is one of my top 25 favorite actors and he is for sure one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood even to this day despite the guy being in a lot of great movies. Kevin Spacey as GERTY might be just as awesome as Hal 9000 sure he doesn't freak out and kill Sam but i thought it was cool that they gave him a little face to display how we was feeling also Spacey's voice is bone chilling so he was perfect to voice GERTY. The Story was really depressing but thought-provoking and has one of the craziest twist that i did not see coming. Some people would call the film slow but i guess they just don't understand the beauty it takes to make a masterpiece and not just some everyday film that will end up getting lost in the genre. Look on any list about the best Sci-Fi films over that past decade and MOON will for sure be in the top ten.

Overall i give it a 8.5 Also the score for the film was simply beautiful.
  11. Mar 13, 2015
    Sam Bell has spent the last three years working for Lunar mining precious gas to save Earth's energy crisis. Alone with only a computer, he has reflected on life and worked on his temper. Envisioning a return home, he suddenly experiences strange visions and occurrences. As he unravels the mystery, he discovers the life he has created for himself may not be his own. This movie has cleverSam Bell has spent the last three years working for Lunar mining precious gas to save Earth's energy crisis. Alone with only a computer, he has reflected on life and worked on his temper. Envisioning a return home, he suddenly experiences strange visions and occurrences. As he unravels the mystery, he discovers the life he has created for himself may not be his own. This movie has clever writing and good writing. Expand
  12. Aug 26, 2010
    The plot may be a bit predictable and slow as a whole, but "Moon" is certainly worth the watch - both for drawing philosophical inspiration from the old sci-fi greats ("2001: A Space Odyssey","Solaris") and Sam Rockwell's incredible dual performance.
  13. Aug 23, 2011
    Although the beginning is very slow the film has a good premise that brings the intensity to the film. This film brings a new look to the sci fi genre.
  14. Dec 31, 2012
    There is much to admire in this film; everything from Sam Rockwell
  15. Nov 11, 2013
    This film is deceptively brilliant, bordering that grey area where there are characters that are depicted do not fall into the trap of specifically bad or good. There is no real physical entity that serves as an antagonist, instead twisting the twist even further by having the protagonist's other self be just as similar with elements of self-confidence. It is dealt with spectacularly, butThis film is deceptively brilliant, bordering that grey area where there are characters that are depicted do not fall into the trap of specifically bad or good. There is no real physical entity that serves as an antagonist, instead twisting the twist even further by having the protagonist's other self be just as similar with elements of self-confidence. It is dealt with spectacularly, but it was obvious that this proves a real take on something that goes so much unnoticed, dealing with science-fiction that possesses a more emotional and metaphorical nature. The computer, played with a surprisingly lack of monotone by the rightfully chosen Kevin Spacey, is given a personality with a much different result compared to 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    Sam Rockwell's performance couldn't have been done with a different appearance, his voice able to express wild emotion and a casual tone of both indifference and contentment. It is not so much nuanced, but it was important to understand the feelings of someone isolated in space without so much as a live feed, inclusive of how natural the reveal was.
  16. Mar 18, 2013
    Sam (Rockwell) works for the company that is responsible for producing most of the world's energy. Sounds like a great gig but there is a catch. He work on the moon, what's worse is he is stationed there for the duration of a three year contract with no interaction except for GERTY (Spacey) the computer that aids him in his work. Sam knows three years is too long, he desperately misses hisSam (Rockwell) works for the company that is responsible for producing most of the world's energy. Sounds like a great gig but there is a catch. He work on the moon, what's worse is he is stationed there for the duration of a three year contract with no interaction except for GERTY (Spacey) the computer that aids him in his work. Sam knows three years is too long, he desperately misses his wife and daughter. He has begun to have delusions, he tells GERTY he is worried because he has begun talking to himself. Things turn real bad when he takes a trip on a rover to fix a piece of machinery that has broken down. Sam crashes the rover and it is at this point that things start to become fuzzy not only for Sam but for the viewer.

Everything Moon is it owes to Rockwell. He is always a more than capable actor but outdoes himself in this role. The character he is playing goes through many extreme emotional states during the course of this film. Rockwell not only displays these emotions effectively but he keeps what could be an extreme character grounded enough that we continue to identify with him throughout the entire film. Spacey has a unique voice, one that doesn't always work to his advantage. It works perfectly here, the emoticons on GERTY are quite effective as well. Non-human characters are not an easy thing to pull off in film, but GERTY not only works it adds to the emotion of the film. If Moon has an issue it is in visuals. This was probably a low budget movie so I won't harp on it. I will say that everything inside the station is fine, everything outside the station less than fine.

Moon is a very effective character study. Grounded sci-fi is rare and Moon is better than most that have tried. Even the twists feel less jarring than they do in most movies. A must watch for any film fan.
  17. Feb 20, 2013
    Go see this if you are tired of the Hollywood science fiction clichés. Nice acting from Sam Rockwell. The set pieces and CGI was also good. The story is good, but I do not consider it anything special. Overall a smarter than usual science fiction movie worth watching.
  18. Nov 7, 2010
    Being such a lucrative genre if cracked, there are many sci fi films knocking out. Moon isn't quite up to the standards of 2001: A Space Odyssey' as suggested on the packaging but is still a sci-fi movie that doesn't let the scientific overrun the emotional. Relating to all the isolated 'stereotypical' sci-fi geek it tells the story of the alienated Sam Bell. What Sam doesn't realise isBeing such a lucrative genre if cracked, there are many sci fi films knocking out. Moon isn't quite up to the standards of 2001: A Space Odyssey' as suggested on the packaging but is still a sci-fi movie that doesn't let the scientific overrun the emotional. Relating to all the isolated 'stereotypical' sci-fi geek it tells the story of the alienated Sam Bell. What Sam doesn't realise is that he isn't alone at all. Something a bit different in a genre that often lacks originality, Moon is a must see noughties movie. Expand
  19. Jan 6, 2015
    Moon follows the story of Sam Bell (Sam Rockwell), an astronaut who is nearing the end of his 3 year contract, solitary working on a moon base gathering Helium-3 for energy use on Earth. Having been on his own for 3 years, Sam has begun to experience hallucinations and begins to fall ill. When he crashes in a lunar rover and awakes, he has no recollection of the past 3 years. When theMoon follows the story of Sam Bell (Sam Rockwell), an astronaut who is nearing the end of his 3 year contract, solitary working on a moon base gathering Helium-3 for energy use on Earth. Having been on his own for 3 years, Sam has begun to experience hallucinations and begins to fall ill. When he crashes in a lunar rover and awakes, he has no recollection of the past 3 years. When the station's A.I refuses to let Sam outside of the station, he begins to question what his purpose really is on the Moon.
    A modern classic in the making, Moon carves itself into Sci-Fi legend amongst the likes of 2001: A Space Odyssey and Alien.
    Capturing the essence of what it means to be truly alone, to questions ones life purpose and to change oneself into a better person; Moon is a must see film for any Sci-Fi enthusiast.
  20. Apr 22, 2013
    While it could be easily argued that 'Moon' dispenses with it's mystery elements too readily, by doing so it allows the film to become intensely moving.
  21. Jun 18, 2013
    A quietly satisfying film that is Well paced and acted. However I can't give it more than a 7 as I feel they could have made a lot more of the big reveal about the astronaughts identity and from that point on it was all very predictable. There are many many inluences of other films to be seen here; silent running, AI, alien, 2001, etc. So many in fact that the film didn't seem to have anA quietly satisfying film that is Well paced and acted. However I can't give it more than a 7 as I feel they could have made a lot more of the big reveal about the astronaughts identity and from that point on it was all very predictable. There are many many inluences of other films to be seen here; silent running, AI, alien, 2001, etc. So many in fact that the film didn't seem to have an identity of its own. I also found the whole premise of having a clone on the moon somewhat unbelievable when it would have been far more effective just to have a team of real people up there, and dispense with the cloak and dagger. Expand
  22. Sep 28, 2010
    The human life is a vessel that at most times is granted by all us. Duncan Jones's Moon is a film that explores this common perception of man in a way that utilizes traces of science fiction and entertainment. Moon tells a story of a quasi astronaut Sam Bell (played by Sam Rockwell) that is under a 3-year contract. Within this written contract, he is succumbed to live in isolation tryingThe human life is a vessel that at most times is granted by all us. Duncan Jones's Moon is a film that explores this common perception of man in a way that utilizes traces of science fiction and entertainment. Moon tells a story of a quasi astronaut Sam Bell (played by Sam Rockwell) that is under a 3-year contract. Within this written contract, he is succumbed to live in isolation trying to gather energy from the moon, which is utilized in this future world. When the contract is close to termination, the main character faces a dark truth about his overall life. This dark truth is the basis of the film, which leads the audience to question their own life and how sacred it is. Due to the reason that it may reveal the main twists of the film, I can not qualify on why this truth is truly impacting.

Although Moon's exploration of life is the greatest part of the movie, the quality of the movie is above average at most. The plot of the movie moves at a very slow pace. I understand that this movie was made in a very limited budget, but that doesn't excuse the "slow as molasses movement" the movie possesses. Not until the 25 minute mark of the movie is the movie somewhat interesting. So basically, a third of the movie establishes that Sam Bell is a human on the moon that is missing his wife at home. Could that have not been set in stone in a much shorter time? Even when the movie starts to gain its momentum, it still never reaches that greatness that its concept allows it to have. But although it may never reach this point, it reaches a point that forces the audience to think. With plot-twists and moments that enable the mind to think, it is a movie that is undoubtedly thoughtful. This leads me to the other positive aspect of the movie, Sam Rockwell. Sam Rockwell makes this movie shine. Playing a double role in this film really shows the actor's talent. His performance is believable in this alternate-reality environment; in addition to his relationship with Gerty, a robot voiced by Kevin Spacey, which is interesting and leads the audience to believe that he actually possesses a connection with this machine.

Overall, Moon is commendable. If you can overlook its slow pace, there is a movie that is really innovative and thoughtful about man's nature. But be aware, it is not a movie one would watch for pure entertainment, but instead watch it for its true uniqueness.
  23. Feb 6, 2012
    A masterpiece in movie history! Everything fits perfect together and the fact that it's playing on the Moon, so far away from home, makes it even more disturbing! A fantastic Sam Rockwell makes this movie 100% complete and I can't understand all the negative Official Critics from magazines... have you even watched the movie seriously or have you only seen the first 10 minutes? Some of theA masterpiece in movie history! Everything fits perfect together and the fact that it's playing on the Moon, so far away from home, makes it even more disturbing! A fantastic Sam Rockwell makes this movie 100% complete and I can't understand all the negative Official Critics from magazines... have you even watched the movie seriously or have you only seen the first 10 minutes? Some of the comments seem like that because otherwise you can't come opinions like that. That's why I never give a sh** on official critics. They have no idea what good and what's not... Watch it, worth it! Expand
  24. Aug 28, 2010
    Excuse me, translation is mechanical.

Excuse me, translation is mechanical.

One day a gardener discovers that a large number of trees under her care, are not straight. "How did I forget the teachings of my father?" He asks. "You have to follow every day the growth of saplings, when you realize that a trailing straight trunk is the time to straighten wood suitable support. But you have to do it now or will be too late. "Teaching is definitely visionary.And a film can be far-sighted? It may be as far as is its director. The director of Moon (Duncan Jones) is, in my opinion, far-sighted. I hope, if I understand or at least I went to his thought that his clairvoyance not remain unheard.

Moon is not a film to hurry, to be seen again. Heard, listened. It should be savored and enjoyed slowly, as one would a fine wine. Without this, you realize that after initially lost the life of Sam (Sam Rockwell) you must follow it, because you can not live his play, can not remain indifferent to his story suddenly becomes bimodal. And then ... and then there's Kevin Spacey's voice Gerty. Gerty this AI right from the start of an essay on how it intends to occupy the space given. And then ... and then there are the music by Clint Mansell, bad, boy!

I hope, a new schedule for this film deserves it. Someone has argued the lack of special effects for stunning lack of money. But on ... who is able to score does not need to kick of branded footwear. However, Duncan Jones, its network has made because I think Moon is a film aesthetically pleasing and ethically responsible.

Gerty knows zero law of robotics?

Good Ciak!
  25. Apr 13, 2011
    "I'm floating in the most peculiar way/And the stars look very different today..." An interesting, beautifully executed meditation on time and identity which manages to hold the attention despite its narrow focus due to a hypnotic and compelling performance from Sam Rockwell. There's much to absorb on every level but he pulls off a difficult feat here. Entirely gripping and ultimately moving
  26. Sep 9, 2010
    An outstanding directorial debut from Duncan Jones, with a brilliant lead performance by Sam Rockwell. It is by far, the best role I've seen him in for years. The visual aspect is amazing, the cinematography is beautifully done and the overall effect of the musical score is haunting. What kills the film, is the middle of the film where it drags. The beginning is great and then it slowsAn outstanding directorial debut from Duncan Jones, with a brilliant lead performance by Sam Rockwell. It is by far, the best role I've seen him in for years. The visual aspect is amazing, the cinematography is beautifully done and the overall effect of the musical score is haunting. What kills the film, is the middle of the film where it drags. The beginning is great and then it slows down. But the ending (can't say what it is) speeds up to an awesome climax. Expand
  27. Aug 22, 2010
    A painfully underrated film, this is pretty much as good as it gets. Up there with 2001 a space odyssey and Blade Runner if you're looking for a film that challenges you you can't do better then this. At times the dialogue seems strange and unrealistic but looking at it again I can understand it much better. It's a tragedy that while eveyone talks about avatar, this has been semiA painfully underrated film, this is pretty much as good as it gets. Up there with 2001 a space odyssey and Blade Runner if you're looking for a film that challenges you you can't do better then this. At times the dialogue seems strange and unrealistic but looking at it again I can understand it much better. It's a tragedy that while eveyone talks about avatar, this has been semi forgotten. And the score by clint mansell (Requiem for a Dream) is absolutly brilliant. If you're bored by this film switch on Transformers ot Avatar and don't bother looking back! I respect peoples opinions but saying this is boring is like saying 'My Dinner With Andre' is uninteresting, Expand
  28. Ozy
    Apr 15, 2014
    I really had no idea what this movie was about when it started on foxtel. I was about to leave for shopping but was stuck on the corner of the couch. My eyes were fixated on the screen, it wasn't long before I laid back and got into my usual couch potato position. If someone told me the story line before hand i would never have watched it. Im glad no one ever brought it up, it wasI really had no idea what this movie was about when it started on foxtel. I was about to leave for shopping but was stuck on the corner of the couch. My eyes were fixated on the screen, it wasn't long before I laid back and got into my usual couch potato position. If someone told me the story line before hand i would never have watched it. Im glad no one ever brought it up, it was brilliant. Sam Rockwell was so good in his performance. I was super glued to every detail of expression his face had to offer - he could have told that story with his face alone. Totally underrated by the experts and completely misunderstood by the user reviewers. It simply must be watched. Expand
  29. Aug 13, 2010
    great, minimalistic film that makes use of science fiction roots to provide an original and intriguing experience.
    Jones is someone to look out for, and I've always been a fan of Sam Rockwell so it is great to see him in a leading role
  30. Mar 18, 2012
    Movies nowadays tend to move towards a total package of being smart and having all the shebangs and explosions, that's not a bad thing. But its so fresh sometimes to go back to the main idea that got us interested in si-fi. This is a movie that is exactly that, flourishes in its own idea. As soon as you think that you're getting what's going on the moon, the movie throws something at youMovies nowadays tend to move towards a total package of being smart and having all the shebangs and explosions, that's not a bad thing. But its so fresh sometimes to go back to the main idea that got us interested in si-fi. This is a movie that is exactly that, flourishes in its own idea. As soon as you think that you're getting what's going on the moon, the movie throws something at you that completely changes everything. The opening scenes perfectly capture that castaway feeling, the mood that Sam is bored as hell and very lonely, the tone and pacing are pitch perfect. But when the mysteries start to pile on, that's when the movie really gets started. Its one after another and keeps the audience on their toes to see what going to happen next, obviously a great performance from Sam Rockwell doesn't hurt as well. This is a great movie to watch, not one bit boring and very intelligent along the way. Expand
  31. Jan 17, 2012
    Excellent performance by Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey as the ship's A.I 'GERTY'. It's a quiet a reflective film as well as very sad at points. It never gets pompous though. It's story may not be that original but it's so well dealt with you find yourself quickly not caring. The sets and effects look good and old school too. Excellent ending as well.
  32. Dec 16, 2011
    Underrated, under the radar, under the surface. Unseen. Yet, one of the best out there. It takes a while to figure out what's going on, but you realize it was really there all along. Open your eyes, world. Find this film. Match the pieces of its puzzle. Enjoy.
  33. Jun 15, 2011
    Moon was a brilliant film. It isn't often that you see a film so thoughtfully concentrated on a single character's emotions. The storyline was great, despite having an inkling with regards to the twist fairly early on, and Sam Rockwell's superb performance combined with Clint Mansell's lovely music made the gem sparkle even more. It is honestly a pity that science-fiction films such asMoon was a brilliant film. It isn't often that you see a film so thoughtfully concentrated on a single character's emotions. The storyline was great, despite having an inkling with regards to the twist fairly early on, and Sam Rockwell's superb performance combined with Clint Mansell's lovely music made the gem sparkle even more. It is honestly a pity that science-fiction films such as this one don't receive near enough attention.

A great watch I strongly recommend to even the most avid of science-fiction fans.
  34. Jun 14, 2012
    An absolutely wonderful film with an Oscar-worthy central performance my Rockwell. Clint Mansell doing the soundtrack was a cherry on top and the Space 1999-style effects only endeared it to me more!
  35. Mar 1, 2012
    MOON (2009) I see a lot of good ratings on this one. I thought it was a pretty damn good film. I liked the space/moon station interiors. That was great. Felt like being on a real moon base or space station or something really futuristic !! The music was not bad, those throbbing notes of music, that went from the start credits, a d through variou sparts of the film and even in the endMOON (2009) I see a lot of good ratings on this one. I thought it was a pretty damn good film. I liked the space/moon station interiors. That was great. Felt like being on a real moon base or space station or something really futuristic !! The music was not bad, those throbbing notes of music, that went from the start credits, a d through variou sparts of the film and even in the end credits. It's got the voice of kevin spacey, as the robot, which was interesting. (Spoiler) The story is kind of sad, those guys are actually clones, and there are like hundreds of them, so when one dies, it gets replaced by another one. Interesting to see how the character (s) learned about his reality, and tested his boundaries. It's just a really interesting futuristic movie. I can see why some may think it's boring, but its very unique, the interesting things are the survival of the main character, and the intereior environmental design. It is believeable as to what to expect on a real moon base or space station in the future. Those six wheeled rovers were pretty cool. This is a movie I could watch several times, which is what I like. It does not have a lot of violence, like so many horrible movies do these days. I am sick of those movies, about violence, or criminals being portrayed as the protagonists. Finally a movie that thinks differently. It is so different from anything else! It may be a little bit like 2001 a space odyssey, or maybe some others, maybe kind of like a reality movie like the blair witch project/ or a "found footage" type movie, sort of. I think I give it an 8 out of 10 Expand
  36. Mar 1, 2011
    A fantastic psychological thriller that you may think you know where it's going, but then it takes a detour on you. Brilliant performance by Sam Rockwell. Highly recommended.
  37. May 12, 2013
    A terrific movie with an Sam Rockwell who plays two roles like one god.The whole idea of the film not seems new and path-breaking but the film is so much more than just a insider tipp.Its a story which is so good that no action sequences are needed in the entire movie.And i think that says a lot about the quality of the dialogues.There is only one way to describe it:Its a fabulousA terrific movie with an Sam Rockwell who plays two roles like one god.The whole idea of the film not seems new and path-breaking but the film is so much more than just a insider tipp.Its a story which is so good that no action sequences are needed in the entire movie.And i think that says a lot about the quality of the dialogues.There is only one way to describe it:Its a fabulous Sci-Fi-Thriller with an phenomenal Sam Rockwell. Expand
  38. Nov 8, 2010
    One of the last of it's kind, this sci-fi thriller should keep fans of the genre happy. With apparent allusions to a certain Stanley Kubrick film, Kevin Spacey undoubtably makes a very fine HAL. Amateur director Duncan Jones shows his qualities in His first full-length film. Apparently, the Bowie family has a thing for space.
  39. USG
    Nov 21, 2010
    An excellent sci-fi thriller after the genre has died. It's intelligent, and can easily more than once to fully understand the story, such all the consequences and background. Nobody can say the story was bad after watching it once without fully understanding while bored. Sam Bell's (Sam Rockwell) feelings are presented very well, a great mood as the story progresses. The viewer canAn excellent sci-fi thriller after the genre has died. It's intelligent, and can easily more than once to fully understand the story, such all the consequences and background. Nobody can say the story was bad after watching it once without fully understanding while bored. Sam Bell's (Sam Rockwell) feelings are presented very well, a great mood as the story progresses. The viewer can understand him; it doesn't have to be action. The movie is proof that CGI isn't needed for everything - all the outside shots were done with models. And this first time director, Duncan Jones only had a small 5 million budget to use. Too bad it was a very limited release. Expand
  40. May 7, 2011
    At last an intelligent science-fiction movie again; it proves one more time that you don't need a whole bunch of special effects : a good plot and a good actor will do! A little gem from the same director of Source Code
  41. Nov 4, 2011
    An old-school SF classic, Sam's fight for sanity and the truth are mesmerizing to watch and the incorporation of Kevin Spacey in the movie lends an air of legitimacy, many have shunned this movie, calling it dull, boring and a hundred other negative terms, but its an incredibly intelligent film, one that demands your attention and thanks you for it, I loved it.
  42. Nov 7, 2010
    Nice movie for a Sunday afternoon with grain waves and some energy drink. How many times Sam Rockwell have been in space? The feeling is familiar, it is good see him there walking around in another "spaceship". The drama itself is not incredible touching but the idea of how strong are our memories and how they affect our feelings is always interesting. Sam is always good and there are noNice movie for a Sunday afternoon with grain waves and some energy drink. How many times Sam Rockwell have been in space? The feeling is familiar, it is good see him there walking around in another "spaceship". The drama itself is not incredible touching but the idea of how strong are our memories and how they affect our feelings is always interesting. Sam is always good and there are no more acting to talk about it. The plot, the writing and the scrip are firm and well done. Expand
  43. Aug 29, 2010
    A real gem. Moon is a small film and all the better for it, creating genuinely intimate feel the script has been crafted with wit and style to support a surprisingly intricate plot line. Sam Rockwell is excellent as ever and Duncan Jones surely shows enough here to suggest he has imagination along similar lines to Fincher or Nolan and will go on to greater things. Great fun.
  44. May 14, 2012
    A quite good science fiction movie that contrasts with the usual action packed ones we are used to. It's entertaining, the plot evolves steadily, but not too fast so that the character and the emotions are not glossed over, and not too slow as well so that we are not left bored or waiting for the next thing to happen. I wasn't expecting anything from this movie, I got a pleasant surprise.
  45. Mar 15, 2014
    This movie was amazing. Sam Bell, an astronaut collecting Earth's fuel source Helium-3 from the moon, is nearing the end of his 3-year contract and is excited to return home to his wife and child. The station has had communication problem that prevents Sam from contacting Earth in real-time (he sends pre-recorded messages) and his only form of social contact is a machine named GERTYThis movie was amazing. Sam Bell, an astronaut collecting Earth's fuel source Helium-3 from the moon, is nearing the end of his 3-year contract and is excited to return home to his wife and child. The station has had communication problem that prevents Sam from contacting Earth in real-time (he sends pre-recorded messages) and his only form of social contact is a machine named GERTY (voiced by Kevin Spacey) and occasional recorded messages from his wife. When Sam has an accident and his replacement arrives ahead of schedule, a lot of things do not seem to make sense, and Sam Bell begins to investigate what his station on the moon really is. Expand
  46. Apr 28, 2012
    As a fan of science fiction, I love it when a movie like Moon comes along. Instead of throwing in aliens and big explosions, Moon offers an engaging story with a great acting performance by Sam Rockwell. While certainly not action-packed, Moon is still a very interesting and enjoyable film. Duncan Jones' directorial debut, this movie manages to do a lot with its small budget. While theAs a fan of science fiction, I love it when a movie like Moon comes along. Instead of throwing in aliens and big explosions, Moon offers an engaging story with a great acting performance by Sam Rockwell. While certainly not action-packed, Moon is still a very interesting and enjoyable film. Duncan Jones' directorial debut, this movie manages to do a lot with its small budget. While the visuals are not as top notch as most other sci-fi movies, they get the job done. If you are a fan of smart science fiction, check this movie out. Expand
  47. Nov 1, 2010
    Moon, defiitely starts of slow, and did not capture my attention for the first 20 minutes because I had no idea where it was going. Once it showed it's true colors though, it completely shined. I had no idea what to expect when putting in Moon to watch on blu-ray but was very pleased with the outcome. I highly recommend this movie to avid movie-goers, only if you want to think!
  48. upi
    Dec 24, 2013
    Finally, a sci-fi movie with a PLOT that works without attempting to dazzle the audience with special effects. I've been waiting for that. I particularly enjoyed the subtle subversion of certain conventions of the genre.
  49. Jun 29, 2012
    One of the most intriguing, visually dazzling science fiction movies in decades, what Moon lacks in pace, it makes up for in emotion and compassion. Completed under a rather minuscule budget of 5 million dollars, Duncan Jones' masterpiece asks an audience a rather simple question of the human condition - what would it be like to meet yourself? As well as this, Moon also poses importantOne of the most intriguing, visually dazzling science fiction movies in decades, what Moon lacks in pace, it makes up for in emotion and compassion. Completed under a rather minuscule budget of 5 million dollars, Duncan Jones' masterpiece asks an audience a rather simple question of the human condition - what would it be like to meet yourself? As well as this, Moon also poses important questions regarding the future of scientific developments, most notably the quest for alternative fuels and cloning, and the morality behind the operation of mega-corporations. As an audience, we are also treated to a stellar performance from Sam Rockwell, who plays a lonely helium-3 miner who is isolated from humanity for three years upon the Moon's barren surface, and a supreme musical composition from Clint Mansell which also contributes to the film's haunting atmosphere. Somehow, Moon manages to be both tragic and uplifting at the same time and it is this that enables the film to rank with the science fiction greats. Truly epic. Expand
  50. Jan 27, 2012
    How anyone could call this movie "boring" is beyond me. Sure, there are no alien zombie robots trying to destroy earth and only one manly man and his pretty girlfriend can stop them, but there is, indeed suspense and drama. The exploration of what happens to this character, mainly emotionally, is interesting and gripping. Personally, I felt really sorry for him and was even moved to tearsHow anyone could call this movie "boring" is beyond me. Sure, there are no alien zombie robots trying to destroy earth and only one manly man and his pretty girlfriend can stop them, but there is, indeed suspense and drama. The exploration of what happens to this character, mainly emotionally, is interesting and gripping. Personally, I felt really sorry for him and was even moved to tears in a few scenes. He's also being played very well by Sam Rockwell and the movie looks real and so on, so as a piece of work, this is very well done. Where it suffers is the actual storyline. Even if you accept the basic premise about a company doing "it" like that (don't want to spoil it) as a given, there are a bit too many unlikelinesses and even a few outright contradictions/plotholes not to be disturbed or rather distracted in your suspension of disbelief. If you won't realize them or won't care, this will be a wonderful movie and these flaws are not really important to what the movie is actually about, but on the other hand, that's even sadder because they all could've been easily avoided as they're not vital to the central plot. However, there were a few details I did not like. First: the robot, GERTY - that was way too over the top and overall a very poor implementation, I don't care if Kevin Spacey spoke it. It never appeared believable, plausible or realistic. Second: The beginning could've used more build-up, it's gets revealed too soon what is going on, though the movie is about how the character deals with that situation, a bit more mystery before that would've been nice. The other twists can be seen coming a mile ago, very predictable. I'm not really sure how to rate this movie. You have to ignore too much stuff, but the emotional impact isn't really affected by that, so ... ah, whatever, I'm giving it an 8/10. Put one or even two points on top of that if you can keep yourself from thinking too much while watching it, the human drama behind it is very well portrayed. Expand
  51. Jan 9, 2013
    Absolutely not in the same league as Blade Runner, Silent Running, 2001 etc., but Moon did affect me emotionally in a way that few films do. I saw it on TV over Christmas for the first time- no idea why it has taken me so long! My top films of all time are Blade Runner, Goodfellas and John Carpenter's The Thing, so you know the standard that I expect from my entertainment.

Moon starts

Moon starts slowly and builds so well, with Duncan Jones so confident that he allows us to see the surprises as part of the action, not as shocks (such as when Sam goes back into the crashed rover), that we are just carried along as Sam makes connection after connection.

I thought that Sam Rockwell's performance was going to be a disappointment but realised that the initial character was just another 'Sam' and that the actor had to keep other tricks 'up his sleeve' for later in the film. To play so many aspects of the same character was a tour de force.

The moon surface scenes were a little 'budget' in their execution but hey, this was an incredible achievement on such a small budget and, three days after watching it, I am still haunted by it. Very nice indeed.
  52. Nov 21, 2014
    Acting was solid from Rockwell and Spacey. Visuals were solid. Most of the writing was solid, but fairly predictable. I'm aware it's a hard line to walk, when you have a big twist. If you give away too many clues, the viewer that pays attention catches on too fast. If you don't give enough clues, the viewer that isn't paying close attention gets lost. This was definitely a case of theActing was solid from Rockwell and Spacey. Visuals were solid. Most of the writing was solid, but fairly predictable. I'm aware it's a hard line to walk, when you have a big twist. If you give away too many clues, the viewer that pays attention catches on too fast. If you don't give enough clues, the viewer that isn't paying close attention gets lost. This was definitely a case of the former.

Overall, a solid movie, but nothing amazing.
  53. NathanielR.
    Jul 7, 2009
    Pretty much perfect science fiction film that manages to evoke the feel of the timeless "2001: A Space Odyssey" but it provides a much more human, character-focused story than the metaphysical ideas explored in Kubrick's film. Sam Rockwell gives his best performance thus far, the film's score is perfect, the story cleverly unveils shocking truth after shocking truth, and all Pretty much perfect science fiction film that manages to evoke the feel of the timeless "2001: A Space Odyssey" but it provides a much more human, character-focused story than the metaphysical ideas explored in Kubrick's film. Sam Rockwell gives his best performance thus far, the film's score is perfect, the story cleverly unveils shocking truth after shocking truth, and all this from a first-time director! No single element of this film stands out to me as being sub-par, it was simply a joy to behold the return of thinking-man's science fiction. I cannot wait to see it again. Expand
  54. BobN
    Jun 21, 2009
    Not much happens in this film. Most of it takes place in the station on the moon. Nonetheless, I liked it. It reminded me of Bradbury's short sci-fi stories, such as those in The Illustrated Man. To be honest, I cannot remember the last sci-fi film I enjoyed. This one is different. Is it great? No. Compared to the other crap sci-fi films of the past 20 years, it is fantastic. It was Not much happens in this film. Most of it takes place in the station on the moon. Nonetheless, I liked it. It reminded me of Bradbury's short sci-fi stories, such as those in The Illustrated Man. To be honest, I cannot remember the last sci-fi film I enjoyed. This one is different. Is it great? No. Compared to the other crap sci-fi films of the past 20 years, it is fantastic. It was like reading a short story, and I loved it for that. The plot is not schocking, and one can tell where it heads. Yet, I still enjoyed it, simply for its purity, for its lack of "here is the giant CGI shot" type filmmaking. This is sci-fi done well. Expand
  55. OwenO
    Aug 21, 2009
    A very Intelligent Indie Sci fi movie, One of the most comforting to watch in a long time. This Movie COULD have turned into a sci-fi cliche, but it didnt, it took tenants from the great Sci-fi's of the past and it did something no has done in a while: it did something original. I have to Question why "Christian Science Monitor" was even added as a legitimate review.. is Peter rainer A very Intelligent Indie Sci fi movie, One of the most comforting to watch in a long time. This Movie COULD have turned into a sci-fi cliche, but it didnt, it took tenants from the great Sci-fi's of the past and it did something no has done in a while: it did something original. I have to Question why "Christian Science Monitor" was even added as a legitimate review.. is Peter rainer a 7 year old child? a complete farce.. Expand
  56. JB.
    Jan 16, 2010
    I think the back cover of the dvd really summed it up quite well. "Moon is an engrossing, intelligent sci-fi thriller that ranks with genre classics like 2001: A Space Odyssey."
  57. RyanM.
    Jan 20, 2010
    Refreshing to see a sci-fi movie that's not all cgi and over-the-top action scenes. Done in an old style, Kubrick-esque, style proves effective in many ways. Moody, creepy, gorgeous and inventive.
  58. PaulM
    Jan 31, 2010
    This is real science fiction for people who like to read the stuff.
  59. JamesH.
    Feb 1, 2010
    Other movies have dealt with this subject (notably the very underrated "The Island") but this was a film for adults rather than the masses. Slow paced (a la "2001") which makes it totally believable, and good acting and writing. I was hooked the entire movie and loved the ending. Loved "Gertie" as well! :) Looking forward to seeing more movies from new director Duncan Jones. Hopefully he Other movies have dealt with this subject (notably the very underrated "The Island") but this was a film for adults rather than the masses. Slow paced (a la "2001") which makes it totally believable, and good acting and writing. I was hooked the entire movie and loved the ending. Loved "Gertie" as well! :) Looking forward to seeing more movies from new director Duncan Jones. Hopefully he will continue to make thought-provoking films and not get sucked into the Hollywood machine. BRAVO. Expand
  60. Plashingies
    Feb 9, 2010
    Started off boring, but in the end, it was worth it. Characters have personalities, and develop according to that. Them dying off gives you emotions. Plot is amazing, creative, and very interesting. To fully enjoy this movie, you must think.
  61. David
    Apr 4, 2010
    This was definitely one of the best sci fi movies ever. one that seems like any other space suspense movie but turns out to be incredibly shocking and mind blowing. Sam Rockwell gives amazing performances and Kevin Spacey as the voice of GERTY was great casting. And if you think you know the plot twist or what happens, be ready for a surprise.
  62. AlexH
    Jun 18, 2009
    Mr. Rockwell makes it look easy to pull of two fantastic performances. Moon is sure to be one of the summers most engrossing and intelligent films.
  63. johnnys.
    Jul 18, 2009
    Do not read reviews!!! It is not as slow as they say and they all give away half of the story. It is a good "story" and amazingly acted. You will be pleased.
  64. anne
    Jul 4, 2009
    A wonderfully wrought sci-fi brain teaser. I am still thinking about the logic of it and the deus ex machina of the ending, but I was engrossed all the way. Themes of identity,social interaction and corporate deception provided dense action full of provocative ideas. We need more summer movies of this quality.
  65. hollyc
    Aug 20, 2009
    Really liked this film---as a reviewer said above, this is a "hard sci-fi" film, more akin to an Arther C. Clark short story or something---really solid, intelligent story. The acting, direction and script were great--Sam Rockwell=excellent. It didn't really hit the epic standards of 2001, but then, I don't think it was swinging for the fences. Definitely worth a matinee price Really liked this film---as a reviewer said above, this is a "hard sci-fi" film, more akin to an Arther C. Clark short story or something---really solid, intelligent story. The acting, direction and script were great--Sam Rockwell=excellent. It didn't really hit the epic standards of 2001, but then, I don't think it was swinging for the fences. Definitely worth a matinee price if you can still see it in theaters--and most definitely worth the DVD rental. Expand
  66. EdwardK
    Aug 26, 2009
    You had to pay attention to understand everything that was happening, but it was well worth the effort.
  67. DaveB.n
    Sep 18, 2009
    Man, this one sure got short shrift... a little derivative, but still a great little film. if you like the 70s style sci-fi, definitely check it out. I wish there were more films like this instead of the slick, effects-laden shoot 'em up type of schlock.
  68. TylerD
    Jan 11, 2010
    This movie was absolutely brilliant. A very smart story, a very good twist, great character(s) and one of the best soundtracks to a movie that I've ever heard. This movie must be seen by, like Tom C. said, anyone who appreciates good film making on a small scale. Brilliant.
  69. HyperS
    Jan 14, 2010
    A "true" sci-fi film from start to finish. Mostly shot in solitude and in a barren environment its easy to see how someone can call this movie dull (e.g., somber musical score, quiet lengthy sequences, no jokes, and no flashy special effects). But, what we do get is finally some realism (no "yeah right" moments here) and a story that should provoke a lot of insightful reflection during A "true" sci-fi film from start to finish. Mostly shot in solitude and in a barren environment its easy to see how someone can call this movie dull (e.g., somber musical score, quiet lengthy sequences, no jokes, and no flashy special effects). But, what we do get is finally some realism (no "yeah right" moments here) and a story that should provoke a lot of insightful reflection during and after viewing. Expand
  70. KevinP
    Feb 18, 2010
    I am not sure what else you want from a movie. I have watched it several times and cannot find the holes or the boredom that people speak of. It gets right what most of Hollywood gets wrong. Tell a good tight story, wrap it up well and let Sam Rockwell act his butt off. Sold.
  71. RichardRichard
    Feb 21, 2010
    Don't listen to the reviews from the Christian Monitor and San Francisco papers - their reviewers must be idiots. Boring? The film is not boring. It is slow and careful instead. It is old-fashioned in a good way - it doesn't rely on explosions, obvious SFX, car chases, violence and swearing. It is a very good, interesting and challenging film. Calling it boring is an Don't listen to the reviews from the Christian Monitor and San Francisco papers - their reviewers must be idiots. Boring? The film is not boring. It is slow and careful instead. It is old-fashioned in a good way - it doesn't rely on explosions, obvious SFX, car chases, violence and swearing. It is a very good, interesting and challenging film. Calling it boring is an embarrassing for a film reviewer. Expand
  72. newtjj
    Feb 2, 2010
    Brilliant film. philosophical sci-fi; fans of 2001, Battlestar Galactica, etc. will enjoy, and anyone who likes theatre (plays, movies) that make you think. any reviewer who thought this movie boring cheated and never got past the first 15 minutes. watch to the end, it keeps getting more intriguing. subtle & beautiful. maybe too subtle for the Michael Bay/Transformers crowd.
  73. AaronW
    Feb 22, 2010
    "And the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role goes to... Sam Rockwell!" "And the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role goes to... Sam Rockwell!" That's probably all you really need to know about Moon, and the fact that the film has gotten absolutely zero Oscar buzz is the grossest of injustices. While the Star Trek and Star Wars brand of science fiction offers "And the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role goes to... Sam Rockwell!" "And the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role goes to... Sam Rockwell!" That's probably all you really need to know about Moon, and the fact that the film has gotten absolutely zero Oscar buzz is the grossest of injustices. While the Star Trek and Star Wars brand of science fiction offers us an action-packed view of the future, the best science fiction is that which makes us think, wonder and question. Moon delivers on all accounts and provides us with a story that tears at the very fabric of who we are as humans. Sam Rockwell's tour-de-force performance aside, everything comes together here in a near perfect film. My only regret is that this film has not received the praise it is due. Duncan Jones (son of David Bowie) has directed a real masterpiece, and I truly wish that I'd seen it in its very short and limited theatrical run. Throw away any ideas of the science fiction genre you may have and see Moon as soon as you can. I cannot recommend it enough. Expand
  74. Mark
    Mar 14, 2010
    Well acted, thought provoking sci-fi. Trades on classics like 2001 and Blade Runner while offering a fresh spin. Shame on metacritic for giving away so much of the plot in their synopsis.
  75. Daron
    Mar 21, 2010
    Great Movie. Don't worry if you know the plot twist before seeing it, that's not where the impact comes from. So much better than the usual mind-numbing trash Hollywood pumps out.
  76. DavidR.
    Apr 27, 2010
    (Watch the film before reading). Moon is one of those rare films which really makes you think about what makes a human being. It is extremely well-crafted with a fantastic performance from Sam Rockwell. I don't believe it offers any answers but it does pose many questions about the morality of cloning, about the balance of human need versus the individual and about the role of (Watch the film before reading). Moon is one of those rare films which really makes you think about what makes a human being. It is extremely well-crafted with a fantastic performance from Sam Rockwell. I don't believe it offers any answers but it does pose many questions about the morality of cloning, about the balance of human need versus the individual and about the role of technology in our lives. One thing I should say is that the synopsis above gives too much away. I was completely sucked into the plot when I realised what was going on - this would have been missed if I had read this beforehand! Expand
  77. Shawn
    Nov 3, 2009
    There are movies that make you think and then there are all the others. This movie is a sensible puzzle that is enjoyable to tinker with. I thought I had it figured out early on but was surprised later on. It has everything a good movie should have.
  78. RodrigoM.
    Dec 9, 2009
    It's a really original sci-fi, comparing to the sci-fis we see today. It doesn't just try to impress the audience with ray guns and large scale planets. It's simple and intriguing. I think that if it was a blockbuster, sam rockwell would easily be nominated for the Oscar.
  79. ZachridW.
    Oct 30, 2009
    It's a good movie and the acting of Sam Rockwell in his tremendous role is very good indeed, but the story is way too predictable. Maybe I've read to much SciFi-Stories and watched too much SciFi-Movies, but halfway though the story I knew what was going on, how everything would play out and that blew most of the tension away. But you can feel how this movie is a homage to the It's a good movie and the acting of Sam Rockwell in his tremendous role is very good indeed, but the story is way too predictable. Maybe I've read to much SciFi-Stories and watched too much SciFi-Movies, but halfway though the story I knew what was going on, how everything would play out and that blew most of the tension away. But you can feel how this movie is a homage to the SciFi-movies of the early eighties (late seventies) like Alien or Outland. Expand
  80. MichaelR
    Jun 13, 2009
    Good Solid short story "What exactly is going on here?" B Science Fiction in the vein Soderbergh's Solaris, Cube, Boyle's Sunshine and maybe Outland. Familiar territory at times but well executed.
  81. KipO
    Jun 18, 2009
    I very much enjoyed the story, tone, and how the story unfolded in this movie. It's not a perfect movie, but it engages your mind the whole way through. It's not a summer popcorn movie. It's a respectable drama/mystery set in a science fiction context.
  82. CindyC.
    Jul 17, 2009
    An intelligent sci-fi movie, a spectacular performance by Sam Rockwell, and a plot that keeps you guessing until the end.
  83. JonathanR
    Jul 31, 2009
    The reviews are wrong i was pleasantly surprised by this intelligent film definitely worth seeing.
  84. AaronG
    Aug 2, 2009
    An excellent example of what an indie film should be like. Focusing on the story and characters instead of fancy effects. A great flick to see if you don't mind some vulgar language. If it's playing near you, I recommend it.
  85. JeffA
    Aug 8, 2009
    Agreeing with most, I was happy to see an intelligent sci-fi movie that wasn't muddled with CGI (not that I can't enjoy special effects). This is a solid film all around.
  86. jeffa.
    Jan 18, 2010
    I can't believe how anyone could give this a lousy review. One of the most original, intriguing movies I've seen in ages. Check it out!
  87. MANDUDEBRO
    Jan 22, 2010
    Moon is a great film. It's premise is old school sci-fi with an amazing erie score. Focus in and use your brain and you'll see the genius of what the director was trying to show you.
  88. Alex
    Feb 15, 2010
    Wow. No need to even see the movie after that recap gave away every plot twist. Thanks, metacritic!
  89. bob
    Feb 17, 2010
    A fantastic film wonderfully presented. This is not a slow film but one which builds character relations flawlessly and in an intriguing way. A brilliant sci-fi story-line. Remember that it only scores a 67 and not in the 80's because of a couple of very poor reviews, but then if you want to take the christian "science" monitor seriously then thats your funeral.. i mean choice.
  90. JustinC
    Apr 25, 2010
    My favorite film of 2009, though i can understand it's slow pacing is not for everyone, especially those that see a 'sci-fi' movie like transformers or avatar as the top of the genre. if you need any reason to discount Peter Rainer's review in the Christian Science Monitor (lol?) than his absurd quote, know that he goes on to say sam rockwell is a bad actor.
  91. PhilipJ
    Dec 22, 2009
    I had high hopes for this film after seeing the trailer and even though it wasnt what i expected i loved every minute of it. I really hope more intelligent sci-fi films come out now that District 9 and Moon has opened the door wich has been closed fo far too long.
  92. TimR.
    Dec 28, 2009
    Intelligent, well acted, well paced, moving; Mansell's score excellent as always.
  93. James
    Dec 29, 2009
    Wow.... the most powerful film I've seen in quite some time. I put this one, thinking wistfully of all the great,thoughtful scifi stories that will never get made into films and hoping this one would be ok...and it blew me away. If you want a good, intelligent, thought provoking film -- watch this one. Aaron F - I notice you gave the film a six, and said the end was "confusing". Wow.... the most powerful film I've seen in quite some time. I put this one, thinking wistfully of all the great,thoughtful scifi stories that will never get made into films and hoping this one would be ok...and it blew me away. If you want a good, intelligent, thought provoking film -- watch this one. Aaron F - I notice you gave the film a six, and said the end was "confusing". Well, it didn't confuse me, and I notice no-one else complained either. Be aware that you need to think about what's going on, as there's no fake hollywood-style exposition where it's all made clear for you; instead, you're going to have to figure it out for yourself. But all the information is there; if you're watching and you're not stupid it's all crystal clear - and fascinating. Don't listen to the idiots who said "it's boring" --- they are. Their "it's boring" is code phrase; it means "It didn't have car chases, explosions, guns or sex, gimme back my rambo or my star wars!!!" PS I found it hilarious and very telling that the lowest scoring review came from the oxymoronically named "Christian Science Monitor". Expand
  94. Seanismyname
    Oct 26, 2009
    I loved this. The use of tech scenery from 2OO1: A Space Odyssey and the "Bionic Woman" sound effects couple with the episodes of Mary Tyler Moore & Bewitched gave the film a classic feel. The acting was amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a single actor portray two identical characters with such realistic individuality before. BRAVO!
  95. MIG
    Dec 7, 2009
    This is nothing short of a classic film, no ifs ands or buts.
  96. CapoR.
    Oct 28, 2009
    Two thumbs up, all the way up! Intelligent movie, well written. This is one of the films that will get stuck in your head for a long time.
  97. RobertK
    Jun 12, 2009
    I was fortunate enough to see this at SIFF. Sam Rockwell did a fantastic acting job. The story was engrossing, and the pacing was a slow boil. This was one of the best sci-fi movies I've seen in years. Go see this!
  98. SteveH
    Jun 23, 2009
    This isn't a great film but makes an honest attempt at some good sci-fi. The ending is no big surprise. This movie is a cross between 2001 and The Island.
  99. BillyS.
    Jul 13, 2009
    Moon is a small independent film without any fanfare that plays like a big expensive smart sci-fi studio blockbuster! Sam Rockwell has never been better and Duncan Jones does Bowie proud in his feature debut as a director. I loved it!

1. Reviewed by: Whitney Borup
    Moon is one of those rare gems of the sci-fi genre that takes its acting as seriously as it treats its special effects.
  2. Reviewed by: Duane Byrge
    Under Duncan Jones' kinetic direction, Moon also shines on the production front: Cinematographer Gary Shaw's shaded shots intensify the drama, and Clint Mansell's music heightens the psycho-scape.
  3. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Despite its handsome look and good thesping workout for Sam Rockwell, the story stretches a bit thin over feature length.