7.9

1. Apr 16, 2014
    A rather odd movie, good one to watch, but a bit cheesy. The story is good, it has some depth, the actors are nice, the direction is decent. Overall, an okay movie if not that cheesiness.
  2. Apr 3, 2014
    The Royal Tenenbaums was the first Wes Anderson film I watched. I liked it (I was 12 when I saw it.) Recently I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel, which I had mixed feelings about. More recently I watched Moonrise Kingdom, which gave rise the the thought: wow, why is this guy so acclaimed? As far as I'm concerned, this movie is just fool's gold. So, the diagnosis. I read up on film theory a lot as it is something I am strongly interested in, and there is a general consensus that you must play by the rules to begin with, but once you become a true auteur and expert in your field, you can basically do what you want. Wes Anderson thinks he has reached that stage, but he really hasn't. Do you know anyone who is a bit alternative, a bit artsy, supposedly 'generous', 'sweet', 'charming' and 'funny'; loved by everyone but you? For me, Wes Anderson is that guy. His characters are basically all the same: mini projections of his own quirky, oddball idiosyncrasies that not only his pseudo intellectual hipster cult love, but his staunch aficionados who also happen to be critics. I really don't see it. He directs the film the same way a 12 year old girl plays with her dollhouse, the characters are shallow and daft. I really couldn't bring myself to care about them. The only scene which moved me was the kissing scene on the beach (I moved my hands over my eyes.) The storyline is slightly risqué, and it doesn't help that the two main characters are precocious brats. I found it shocking that the romanticisation of mental illnesses (something greatly criticised these days) was completely overlooked. Mental instabilities are SERIOUS. They do not make you quirky or cool! The movie felt like taking a cold shower with a toothache. However I suppose a lot of the things I criticised about him are typical of many other directors, even directors I love, for example Fellini always had absurd characters, but I loved them. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that he has a very particular style, you can try and pick his films apart but you'd be splitting hairs: you either love them or hate them. Expand
  3. Mar 31, 2014
    Genuinely the first film I fell asleep in, the start of the film seemed to be kicking off well, but the story is beyond boring and at times is really creepy. Especially a scene where they are dancing together/kissing. They're both barely out of the womb
  4. Mar 15, 2014
    Moonrise Kingdom is certainly unique, but it's ultimately an extremely slight, and morally confused film. Anderson's quirky style couldn't be more evident throughout. His visuals are striking, but the pretentiousness becomes grating after a while. The movie can be funny and sweet, but this is all tarnished with one shocking scene. The young couple starts French kissing in their underwear. Inappropriate, but whatever, I can deal with it. I thought it wouldn't go any further. How could it? But it did. The boy fondles the girl's chest, and the girl comments on how hard a certain thing is and how she likes it. What!!!????!! Are you kidding me?! How could Anderson put two young kids into this situation? The movie's a perfect example of how immoral Hollywood has become. Expand
  5. Mar 11, 2014
    moonrise kingdom is 1965 craziness two campers have disorders and then go camping as they go camping they find what they have in common they both have disorders the girl has an anger problem . the boy scout has been rejected into foster homes and the other scotts thinks he werid . i find the girl insane in this wes anderson film including the fact that this is a 2012 film and it is a 1965 film . go see the dark shadows instead Expand
  6. Mar 9, 2014
    I know this guy is the critics' favorite and has a dedicated groupie following; but I just don't get it. The few I've watched, or tried to watch, were bland and droll. Seems to be his syle. What really amazes me is his ability to get so many big name actors to appear in these financial bombs. I would think they wouldn't want one of his box office disasters on their resume.

This one made
    less than $46,000,000 worldwide according to MOJO. None of his movies have actually made much more than that, and some a lot less. Why? Because no one likes what he is putting out. It's remarkable that he can keep getting financing for these bombs. Having said all that, I at least was able to finish this one before turning it off like I have done with some of his other films. Expand
  7. Feb 6, 2014
    Wes Anderson admires young love in a way that most do not, or I suppose I should say that he admires youth and the youthful view as all his films have that adolescent glow about them as if he is forever locked in a state of arrested development. I for one am particularly swayed by his films and their upbeat take on a nihilistic world. Moonrise Kingdom follows the Anderson pantheon like every other member of his rag tag cult and even though you know everything that is going to take place you still in enjoy the ride.
    I would give this film an 8.5 as a fan of the man's work, however the Poe scale suggest a 7.5 at best.
    The Poe Scale
    Acting: 1/2
    Cinematography: 2/2
    Editing: 1.5/2
    Effects and Design 2/2
    Writing: 1/2
  8. Jan 16, 2014
    Simply left me speechless. One of the best films I've ever seen. Odd, sweet, funny, and finally we see Bruce Willis acting well. The characters are caricatures and don't even realise it. The typically Andersonian style of cinematography is unbelievably colourful. It doesn't have a point and isn't trying to have one.
    The score by Desplat is marvellous, the adult actors are perfect. Better
    than the Tenenbaums. Expand
  9. Dec 26, 2013
    As one should expect from a Wes Anderson movie, it has quirky characters, a classic yet unique plot, that certain style of editing that no one else does (if you have watched a Wes Anderson movie, in particular Fantastic Mr. Fox, you know what I am talking about), and Bill Murray (seriously, he is in almost every movie Wes Anderson has done). However, past the deadpan lines, deliberately outrageous action, and surreal visuals is a story that actually proves to be quite touching, and universally appealing. Therefore, the movie left me in tears by the conclusion, and I could not tell if it was the comedy or the heartfelt story that was the cause. Expand
  10. Dec 22, 2013
    Sometimes solid direction, an ensemble cast and an interesting premise just isn't enough.. I found out the hard way. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of Anderson's but I did in fact love the royal tannenbaums. For all of the promise that this movie had I thought It was a disappointment. One dimensional characters, Woden acting from the child actors and an overall boring story had me wondering when this movie would end. Expand
  11. Dec 18, 2013
    This is my favourite movie of all time. It's beautifully shot, impeccably scripted, and perfectly acted. I've easily seen this 7 times and can't wait until the next viewing.
  12. Dec 3, 2013
    This absolutely a wonderful piece of art. I am still in shock it was snubbed by the academy. Beautifully shot, magical art direction, well cast and portrayed, intelligent score and charming story.
  13. Nov 29, 2013
    This movie was funny all the way throughout. It did center everything with corny acting from the kids, but so what? Much better than some other ones, I'll give you that. It's a love story, so some may find it unentertaining.
  14. Nov 3, 2013
    I found this a rather odd movie, but a good one nonetheless. The characters and the plot are unique and memorable. Superb acting in my honest opinion from both the known actors and the younger ones. Well-paced and a fitting environment with nice scenery add to the mix. Won't say it's a must watch, but definitely something that people should look into if they like intelligent and quirky movies.
  15. Nov 2, 2013
    Being young is not the complicated phase in the film but following your heart in every decision. This film gives a lot of colors that enable everyone to come in to and feel the chills and thrills.
  16. Oct 23, 2013
    Wes Anderson's best in my opinion. Typical style with the weird quirky humor and oddness but done amazingly well. Love his movies and this one is his masterpiece I think.
  17. Sep 24, 2013
    A visually stunning work of art and perhaps Wes Anderson's best film yet. Every shot in this movie is breathtaking, every performance is starling, every piece of dialogue is wittym and every character is likble. It's the perfect balance of style and substance. The cinematography just compliments the the film in every way possible. It's not your average Oscar contender film, it's more unique, more relatable, less boring. However, the only thing I can say that will take away from the film is that some people who do not like ofver the top artsy films, you may want to skip this one. Expand
  18. Sep 18, 2013
    Moonrise Kingdom is one of those movies that sticks with you or a long time, if not forever. The performances and sweet, quirky themes just leave you feline hint melancholy and a hint of happiness. And it's also fun to watch a critically-acclaimed movie where the lead actor lives behind one of your best friends!
  19. Aug 3, 2013
    Another Wes Anderson movie. Another excellent film. Moonrise Kingdom is about as typical of his style as you could ever want; static cuts, purposely awful (aka- charming) special effects and his trademarked breezy comedy. This time around, though, the emotional thrust is a little less subdued and has a more visceral kick to it. And Edward Norton, an actor I've previously been nonplussed on, is absolutely brilliant here. Expand
  20. Jun 29, 2013
    I can't get past the robotic delivery of the dialog...or the perfect wardrobe on everyone, or the perfect camera shot symmetry, or every delivery and set piece in perfect time. I'm dying in the rigidity. It bleaches the emotion out of the picture. I'm just not built that way.
  21. Jun 26, 2013
    This film is a marvelous gorgeous tale. The direction of that film is so extraordinary with such colors that can travel your mind to 1965 as the movie takes place. The two young actors were great too. It had a sense of humor and it is more like a black comedy with romantic stuff on it. I found it interesting and probably one of the best movies of that kind that I have ever seen. I recommend it to everyone though I think that some people may not like this film. It depends on what some people like. However, I loved that movie and I would like to watch it again if I have the chance. A must-watch film that should have more nominations to the Oscar awards. Thumbs up!! Expand
  22. Jun 7, 2013
    It seems to me that the performance of Bob Balaban was the most hilarious one His acting is so intentionally awkward that he looks like a six year-old performing in a school play. As far as I am concerned the role of Bruce Willis could have been given to anyone else since it was too simple and did not show his true talent, but i didn't hate it. Who are we to judge him? On the other hand, Edward Norton was more in his element in this film, where he plays a soft, clumsy person, than he was in other movies he did such as The Incredible Hulk and Fight Club. Additionally everything in this film seems to have been made dead and cold which is a good thing as it achieved to appear surreal. The music was mostly classical but together with the whimsical sets and costumes a very dreamy and poignant version of the 60's is formed. The lack of expression of really strong feelings even though some might say it's not usual for a film therefore risky and unlikely to be well-received, I believe is a futuristic art form, way ahead of our time. Moonrise Kingdom is about to become a prototype for many other films to come. Expand
  23. Rod
    May 27, 2013
    I'm sorry, I try to appreciate Wes Anderson's work, and for some of his movies, there is some entertainment value. But this movie was just a waste of time and effort. I really hoped it would go somewhere, but "quirky and offbeat" for it's own sake, does not, in my opinion, make for a good movie or story. If you are not familiar with and already a fan of Anderson's work, this movie will have you shaking your head and asking, "Why?". Expand
  24. May 19, 2013
    i know everyone has different taste .but the 2 movies that have been the least entertaining to me in my life are american beauty and moonrise kingdom i really enjoyed true blood and rushmore
  25. May 18, 2013
    Moonrise Kingdom is an eccentric, artistic, and quirky film that portrays exaggerated versions of typical people. Ed Norton's role as an obsessively responsible scout leader is revealed when he is asked what he really does in life. His answer is, “I’m a math teacher, but I’m a scout master on the side--no, I take that back. I’m a scout master, and a math teacher on the side.” For people who are not movie stars, politicians, or any other vocation that involves celebrity, who they are is based on what they do, or more significantly, what they do for others.

Director Wes Anderson explores the meaning of life when life is obscure and routine. And for all those anonymous individuals out there, there is one thing that lifts them all out of the world of the mundane and into the magical kingdom of the sun, the moon and the stars--that magical moment when the moon rises--and that is love. Norton's Scout Master Ward gets his love from the scouts who are entrusted to his care at the island summer camp. The sheriff, played soulfully by Bruce Willis, seeks a different kind of love from a married friend, who lives on the same island, but later realizes he is morally adrift, and in the end becomes a loving, adoptive father. Tilda Swinton's social worker has given up on love and she is almost a robot, until she too discovers that she can find love with acts of kindness toward others. Everyone who is bereft of love eventually finds some compensation in this 1965 setting that has all the hues of a Kodacolor snapshot. But there is one kind of love that is certain to lift everyone out of their ordinary lives and into magical realms and that is, of course, romantic passion. In this film, that kind of romantic passion is absurdly and almost ridiculously acted out by two 12-year-olds.

Pre-adolescent Sam (Jared Gilman) and Suzy (Kara Hayward) meet at a school play on the island. Sam falls madly in love at first sight, pursues the object of his affections with love letters, and asks his paramour to run away with him. He leaves camp without authorization and she runs away from her parents' gingerbread house with the picture-perfect interior, and the hunt for the two runaway children begins, as the grown-ups get stressed out of their minds because the children are pretending to be adults. Sam is an expert scout, so they set up camp in various parts of their small island, where they get to explore the depths of their romance, which includes tentative, shy attempts at intimate behavior. When caught, they escape a second time and convince another scout master to marry them in a strictly symbolic ceremony, since they are too young to obtain a license. Sam then refers to 12-year-old Suzy as “my wife.” At a glance, it appears that the children are acting like adults, but in fact, this film intends to show that passion and romance are child's play, for even children can kiss, grope, and call each other husband and wife. It is indeed the grown-ups who act like children when they fall madly in love, and there is even something childish about the exclusivity of marriage, when it is born only of passion. That would explain the astronomical divorce rate, hovering at 40% and climbing, a failure rate that seems to be connected to the myth of undying romantic love.

If you grew up in the 1960's, you will wax nostalgic when you see a plastic record player that can be carried like a box with a handle. And remember when people smoked everywhere, even at breakfast? This time period also indicates a certain naivete, an immaturity on a global scale. In the end, the only love that endures is not egocentric love born of amorous passions, but the kind of love that is based on what we do for others. So, in order to wed like grown-ups, the only marriages that work are those committed either to raising the children, as shown by Bill Murray and Frances McDormand (playing Walt and Laura Bishop) in their shaky alliance that stays cemented because of the children and the profession of law to which they are both devoted--or marriages where two people use their synergistic energies to improve, further, and enlighten society at large. Anything else is a self-absorbed child's fantasy in an ephemeral kingdom filled with stardust, where there is no goal and no purpose, except perhaps to laugh, run, and chase the rising moon. And that is better left to 12-year-olds.
  26. Apr 18, 2013
    A wonderfully darkened piece from Anderson's bag. According to me, it's the best Anderson movie so far. You can sue me for saying this, but it's also probably the best of 2012. Loved the craftsmanship. Loved the acting. Loved the quirky camera movements. Loved the story. Oh hell! What am I talking about! Loved the whole thing!!!!
  27. Apr 6, 2013
    I love the look and feel of this film; yes, it’s got a lot of quirkiness, but that’s not allowed to overrun the narrative too much. The soundtrack also adds to the enjoyment in a way; it becomes part of the world these people inhabit. The very black and white sensibilities of children are explored here; everything it taken as a matter of fact and accepted without question. I found it quite refreshing in a way; it made a nice change from the brainless comedies I’m usually subjected to. All the performances were excellent with my top awards going to the two youngsters; Kara Hayward and Jared Gilman. Well worth a look if you haven’t seen it and (probably) well worth a re-watch if you have!

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.2/10
  28. Mar 23, 2013
    Loved this movie. If you can have the patience to sit through it all its a truley wonderful film. everything from the scenery, costumes, script all amazing. I truley love this director.
  29. Mar 16, 2013
    Wes Anderson films are just not for me. This one has some really good performances including my favorite Edward Norton, but for me like all of Anderson's movies I got bored.
  30. Feb 9, 2013
    Great movie. Period. Enjoyed every second of it. Solid soundtrack, great script, great acting, one of Wes Anderson's best films yet. Cannot wait for his next flick.
  31. Feb 8, 2013
    Película correcta, que mantiene las obsesiones de Anderson: colores, diálogos, actores. Lo nuevo son las actuaciones de la pareja de niños y los roles que cumplen, estos son personajes llenos de deseos que los adultos no entienden (a lo Simona Vinci) y se espantan. Temáticamente una loa al amor, mas uno que incluye las roturas de la mirada insolente de la niñez
  32. Feb 8, 2013
    Didn't like the characters (the lead boy and girl), the flat 2D cinematography was nauseating (every shot is either side on, front on, top down, no angles, no depth), and the story was just a little too quirky for me, although I appreciate the attempt :)

Great cast, but ultimately the whole thing just felt like it was a movie made by a hipster, featuring hipsters, for hipsters.
  33. Jan 27, 2013
    Although i usually like to troll directors inert to stylistic changes and evolution, W. Anderson always manages to sneak up. And now, i must confirm that Moonrise Kingdom is an extra quality piece of Anderson's craftsmanship.
  34. Jan 10, 2013
    Moonrise Kingdom isn't a movie, its is a disgrace to movies. Never has a movie been so brainless coupled with one of the worst directing jobs i have ever seen. The movie ask if the boy and girl need mental help, the real question is whether the people who made the movie need mental help. A movie i never want to lay eyes on again.
  35. Jan 9, 2013
    While its beyond quirky and weird script, acting, and direction has been applauded by many, I fail to see what is exceptionally great about this film. The entire concept honestly seemed intriguing, but it just felt too...well that's just it...I don't know how to describe this film. I am not sure whether I thought it was a unique mediocre film or a complete blunder.
  36. Jan 6, 2013
    This is just Wes Anderson at his best. A funny and cute screenplay that shows what it is like to be a kid and the theatricality of young love. If you like quirky movies that aren't the usual Kathrine Hiegel wreck then watch this. It will entertain you and give you a soft warm glow inside you.
  37. Jan 2, 2013
    Unrestrained whimsey does not a narrative make. Self-conscious directing, formal presentational acting and a broad sense of humor that shifts gears in an ungainly way makes character after character into unlikable buffoons. Last time I'm bothering to watch a Wes Anderson film. If you loved The Life Aquatic, this is more of the same with more of everything except story.
  38. Lyn
    Dec 30, 2012
    The more I see of the end-of-year blockbusters destined for awards, the more I appreciate this quirky, sweet film destined to be enjoyed and eventually watched again. The actors seemed to have fun and the viewer does, too. Giving it a 9 only because (in my opinion) it's not as great as "The Royal Tenenbaums."
  39. Dec 23, 2012
    Wes anderson must be the most over praised writer/Director working in films today. I didn't care much for Rushmore or The Life Aquatic. I hated the Royal Tenembaums and I absolutely hate this pointless
    drivel. I keep coming back for more because the majority of critics keep turning out superlatives for his work. All I can say is It won't happen again. Anyone who derives any enjoyment from
    this questionable film cannot have a clue about what real art is. Of one thing I'm certain it isn't this junk. Expand
  40. Zal
    Dec 20, 2012
    This is definitely one of those movies you either love or hate. Personally, I loved it. Admittedly, it's kind of kitschy, but that's not always a bad thing. It's a colorful movie both in its color pallet and its characters. I especially loved seeing Bruce Willis playing a cop who's nothing like John McClane.

Moonrise Kingdom is sweet and simple. I haven't seen Wes Anderson's other
    movies but if they're anything like this, I definitely will. Expand
  41. Dec 19, 2012
    some plot revealed in this preview.

This film is brilliant! It is a simple story on the cover: Orphan boy doesn't really fit anywhere, finds another person in life who doesn't really fit in as well. Together they find love and peace in each other, as well as acceptance and understanding. On the back of the story, we have the adults. The adults in this film show what is wrong with the
    world and society and its impact on our youth. The influences the Adults in the movie have directly affect the children, not so much psychologically but socially and emotionally. Its a pretty heart warming story giving you some great insight into a world of reality where children really understand more than adults realize. The movie has many layers of which to unfold. life in general; In the end, all people want is to find a balance and a happiness. this movie does an excellent job of showing the process, among many other lessons to be learned! I recommend this film for everyone! Anyone who has had some form of struggle with life should be able to relate to this movie and story. Expand
  42. Dec 19, 2012
    A vedere il miglior film per ragazzi dell
  43. Dec 18, 2012
    It is perhaps the best Wes Anderson film, but that fact almost made me angry because he is close to creating something engaging yet missing in the same trite ways he always does. This demonstrates he is not willing to take a risk in any meaningful way. I can endure the quirkiness, I can appreciate the calculated compositions and mise en scene... but they really should serve a story of some gravity, passion or humour. Here the acting is wooden (puppet wooden), lines spoken too fast (as if to emphasize their meaninglessness), the child characters generally acting like adults, adults acting like children, all running around in a simple story, but even more, after awhile, you realize it is about a bunch sets and objects that look like a kid's dreams of military heroism and futile activities carried out in an oddly precise manner. All this makes me think he should use his artistic styling, which is appealing enough, on an entirely different kind of story written by someone else. Expand
  44. Dec 15, 2012
    The story itself is already fascinating, but it doesn't hurt at all that its misfit characters' journey is beautifully told by the quintessential filmmaker of the misfits. Moonrise Kingdom is one of those few cases in which bold formalism doesn't lead to a cold time at the movies. Actually, it's all the opposite.
  45. Dec 13, 2012
    If 'Moonrise Kingdom' falls short of being a masterpiece, it isn't by much. It is a quirky, idiosyncratic work from one of the best directors working today, Wes Anderson, whom I believe should never stop making movies. Striking to look at and meticulously crafted, Anderson also gets points for capturing young love with a sense of innocence and intimacy that I haven't seen in any other film before. Not to mention that it happens to be one of the funniest films to come out this year. Amazing performances are abound, but the most affecting one comes from Bruce Willis in an against type, more subdued role that was intriguing to watch him dig into. There is a warmth and sacrifice to this man, a grace in his outlook on life, that makes him quite the unexpected hero (not in the action-movie sense that one would assume coming from Willis). And if only one thing could be said, 'Moonrise Kingdom' is hugely entertaining. It's a real crowd-pleaser when you get down to it, especially for those who are unassociated with most of Anderson's work before this. I would even say that it is THE Anderson movie, both for fans of him and those who are looking to get into his style. One of the best films of 2012, and is the most heartwarming and funny by a mile. Expand
  46. Dec 10, 2012
    This film is a success, a blending of genres that created this film of children to adults in an adventure splendid film. With a little peculiar photography in these times and mainly as the direction I've been this script very well.
  47. Dec 8, 2012
    Quirky for the sake of being quirky. Too cute for its own good. Take the star talent from the film and it never makes the screen. I have to give this film a weak six. It is interesting enough to keep your attention, but weak enough to have your mind wandering on a regular basis.
  48. Dec 3, 2012
    beautiful film. The people that are talking smack about this film are so stupid it makes me sick to my stomach. Someone even talked about pedophilia. OMG people can be so stupid I just want to punch them in the face.
  49. Nov 24, 2012
    This was the first Wes Anderson movie I have seen, and I loved it. You know, it just shows you love can start at any age and last for an eternity. The filming was great. The actors were outstanding. The boy, Jared Gilman and the girl, Kara Hayward were so funny and I hope I see them in more films. Its just a fun filled loving movie that I will definitely watch again sometime.
  50. Nov 24, 2012
    Quirky and high-concept, this film could easily become an exercise in style over substance. It is both beautifully mannered and unreal but it's also unexpectedly engaging. The soundtrack, featuring Benjamin Britten, Hank Williams and in one key scene Francoise Hardy, is a joy. The actors hold the story together even when the action becomes quite overwhelming. This film well exceeded my expectations. Expand
  51. Nov 14, 2012
    Even though this is my first Wes Anderon film, I enjoyed every moment of Moonrise Kingdom, savoring the originality of the characters and the atmosphere. There is something so unique and refreshing about the film... it is a breath of fresh air. Like any good drama, the movie is sincere and heartfelt, a fantasy filled with hints of nostalgia. Like any good comedy, the movie is very funny and very entertaining, with Bill Murray stealing the show at times. Part of the humor comes from the fact that the characters take themselves more seriously than we think they should. Yet the characters are sympathetic and feel realistic. The story can certainly pride itself in being unpredictable. The cinematography is simple yet elegant. Definitely see Moonrise Kingdom. Expand
  52. Nov 11, 2012
    I like quirky films, with odd characters and this film have both of these things. I was looking for more laughs but was a solid period based film. The casting is perfect as is the array of colors making the scenes jump off the screen. I would not call this a classic but recommended but a view or two.
  53. Nov 11, 2012
    Why did I watch it?
    I've never seen a Wes Anderson film before. There, I said it. The trailers for Moonrise Kingdom made it look like a quirky, fun film with a great cast and worth a look.

What's it all about?
    Set on a peacefully quiet island off the coast of New England, two children, having only met once, set their pen-mail devised plan to runaway together into action. This leads to
    the islands eccentric inhabitants launching their own search and rescue mission to track down the wayward pair before a storm closes in. Should you watch it?
    Quite simply, yes. Moonrise Kingdom is beautifully shot, Anderson uses rich warm colours throughout and the film has such a retro feel to go with the 60s setting. The opening credits sequence was spellbinding and the film rarely lets go from there onwards. The cast is fantastic, the two young leads give performances that belies their youth and are supported by a brilliantly deadpan Bruce Willis character, Edward Norton, Billy Murray, Tilda Swinton and cameos from Jason Schwartzmann and Harvey Keitel.

The budding runaways

The screenplay is charming yet not without some serious undertones, in particular each child's motives for leaving but the film's offbeat humour (Swinton plays a character literally called 'Social Services') never lets the mood fall away from any other than pure adventure. Make no doubt that the children's naivety and innocence are the highlight of the film. The moment they meet up, Sam orders an inventory their equipment which includes an air rifle, a cat and six books before handing over some flowers to his young love. He later warns Suzy that he may wet the bed inside their tent. I'm reluctant to say anything further so as not to spoil the film for others.

Kingdom is supported by a score of classical music that fits perfectly with the eccentric nature of most characters and the old feel of the film.

A must see, and not just for Wes Anderson fans (as I mentioned I hadn't seen any of his films beforehand).
  54. Nov 10, 2012
    Finest script work and wonderful con-conventional typical wes anderson type powerful potrayal of a catastrophic incident in a calmly village. Do love it...
  55. Nov 10, 2012
    The Royal Tenenbaums is one of my all time favorite films. I love Rushmore as well. Those films are both 10's in my book. Moonrise Kingdom is not a 10. It does not live up to Rushmore or Tenenbaums, but it certainly comes close. The beginning of the film was my problem. I wasn't bored, but I was starting to get to that point. The middle of the movie then came and from that point on it was flawless. I enjoyed it very much. The performances from the cast were hilarious. Especially by Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, and Edward Norton. They are the funniest and saddest characters of this story. This is a story about young love and family and it is definitely one of Anderson's best. This is one of my favorite films of the year, and I encourage any one to go and see it. One of the most interesting movie going experiences of the year. Expand
  56. Nov 5, 2012
    The film is set and edited with a master's perfection and each scene is cut so precisely, that within the first five minutes you're enchanted by Anderson's world. But, I believe it is this same style that prevents the film from being great, as the cookie cutter feel of it all eventually becomes tiresome.
  57. Nov 4, 2012
    A film filled with simple pleasures. Wes Anderson films are an acquired taste. Like all acquired tastes, you can understand why other people don't enjoy them, but you pity them for it.
  58. Nov 3, 2012
    All well(direction,actors and screenplay).The boy made mistakes but he solved it too fast;it's a great character.It's better than Skyfall and one of the best romance movies I ever seen.
  59. Nov 3, 2012
    Moonrise Kingdom is probably Wes Anderson's most accomplished movie... Everything is beautiful : the colors are dreamlike, the music is exuding the 60 's and the scenario joyfully childish. Did I forget to mention how good every actor ?

If I had one movie to take on a desert island, it would definitely be this one !
  60. Nov 2, 2012
    A great story but Wes Anderson's trademark tweeness and arty shannanigans just take me out of the moment. There's that air of unrealism that typifies most of his films. Also a bit dissapointed to see great actors like Bill Murray being wasted in shallow roles. I switched this film off when the two kids started dancing on the beach. Was too cheesy and made me want to vomit.
  61. Nov 1, 2012
    This movie is great, I went in not knowing anything about it, and was very glad I saw it. Its certainly different and very interesting. Recommend to anyone
  62. Oct 28, 2012
    A very likable movie. It made me feel like I was a teenage again, The movie captured the whole idea, of how young people think. They both ran away from home, and the director filmed it in a way, that it seemed like they were on this great adventure! I only had a problem with the films ending, other then that, great movie!
  63. Oct 27, 2012
    Directed by: Wes Anderson Written by: Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola Running Time: 94 min Rated: PG-13 Starring: Bill Murray as Walt Bishop Frances McDormand as Laura Bishop Bruce Willis as Captain Sharp Edward Norton as Scout Master Randy Ward Tilda Swinton as Social Services Jared Gilman as Sam Shakusky Kara Hayward as Suzy Bishop Jason Schwartzman as Cousin Ben In 1965, two 12 year olds decide to leave their lives behind and run away to a hidden inlet on the island of Penzance. Or so goes the plot for Wes Anderson's latest film, Moonrise Kingdom. The two kids, Sam and Suzy, meet when Sam sneaks backstage at a play and finds Suzy dressed as a raven. When she tells him that she cut her hand on a mirror when she lost her temper, you can see in Sam's eyes that he is smitten. The two are pen pals for a year and hatch a plan to run away together.

Sam is an orphan and is a member of the Khaki Scouts, a very serious group of campers that appear to be modeled on the military and, of course, the Boy Scouts of America. He and his troop are camping at Camp Ivanhoe when his scout master, Randy Ward, notices that Sam has "flown the coop". An APB is put out on Sam, and the troop, along with the local police captain, begin a thorough search of the island.

Meanwhile, Suzy has also fled from her home, carrying with her the necessities: a kitten, kitten food, a record player and her favorite record, a suitcase full of stolen library books, her lefty scissors, and her binoculars. She meets Sam in a meadow and follows him to an inlet where they set up camp. Both on the line between childhood and puberty, the two settle into life together. Sam impresses Suzy with his camping ability, and Suzy is compassionate when Sam reveals he sometimes wets the bed. After discovering Suzy's stash of letters from Sam, the search party steps up their efforts to find the two lovebirds.

I have always been a fan of Wes Anderson's films for their unique style. Each time I see one, I spend days afterward contemplating his approach. The camera pans from one room to the other in the houses as if you are looking into a dollhouse. The nature of living right next to other people and yet separate at the same time is clearly demonstrated with this technique. The settings looks like old fashioned paintings that have come to life with the characters. The colors are antiqued, almost sepia toned. The actors have their usual expressionless faces we have come to expect from Anderson's films, and yet so much emotion is being conveyed.

Once again, he has assembled a first class cast. Bill Murray and Frances McDormand played two attorneys who are married but just going through the motions. Bruce Willis is the local unmarried police captain having an affair with Frances McDormand's character. Edward Norton is sincere as the serious scout master. But the breakout performances of the film come from the actors playing Sam and Suzy, the star crossed lovers. I was mesmerized as I watched them fall in love for the first time in their young lives, as they carefully navigated the delicate balance between childhood and adulthood.

Another area in which I feel that Wes Anderson's excels is in his choice of music. After watching this film 4 times in a row (yes, I love it that much!), I downloaded the soundtrack. I'm not sure it holds up as a whole, but the parts are excellent. First there is the song that Sam and Suzy dance to on the beach, Francoise Hardy's Le Temp de L'Amour. I know it sounds silly but I love to put it on and act like I know what I'm saying when I try to sing along. Then there is the Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra. I put this on for my 6 year old and he loved it. It reminds me of how much I used to love listening to Peter and The Wolf when I was a kid. I love watching him as he discovers the nuances of each instrument and how they come together to make magic.

I highly recommend both the movie and the soundtrack. This is one movie I'm going to purchase to watch again and again. It's like a good book. In fact, I'm going to purchase all of Wes Anderson's movies and revisit them. Let me know what you think of the movie after you watch it.
  64. Oct 20, 2012
    This was an odd film across the board mainly due to the visuals, the actors, and their acting. First, the story is just a run-of-the-mill coming of age story centered on some 11 year olds. It's the type of story you've seen a dozen times before on Lifetime, A&E, CW, etc. But this particular film stands apart from them because of the elements I noted above, but doesn't apart in a good way. The film is set in 1965 and the film is quality is intentionally set to be grainy with yellow tinting, so my Blu-ray experience was obviously dampened. Then the actors - the principal stars (two kids) are unknowns but the supporting adult cast are all-stars. You'd think that would be great, but not so much. In fact, none do any better than unknowns could've but then this would've been an art-house flick instead of mainstream. Finally, I have to agree with "dafuq" below who notes that there's no emotion or passion in any of the performances. Much of the dialogue is done in emotionless monotones and it's just a horrible shame. Obviously director Wes Anderson did this intentionally but why ?? It's not a fully wasted effort but it could've been so much better. Expand
  65. Oct 16, 2012
    Wes Anderson´s Moonrise Kingdom is one of his greatest achievements since Rushmore. This film is simply lovely, it´s intimate and original and it truly defines what love really is. The entire cast is fabulous, that goes from Bill Murray till Bruce Willis. The film is funny when it has to be and dramatic at the right moments, it´s the perfect combination.
  66. Oct 14, 2012
    This is a cute movie, with some witty dialogue, and some mild emotion attached to it. However, like most Wes Anderson movies, it is pretentious, self-indulgent, and tries to be a deep, profound statement, not realizing that it's merely just a cute, quirky comedy. That honestly takes away a lot of its appeal for me, and that's why I docked it a points. I would put this movie in the same boat as something like Crazy, Stupid, Love. It was cute, funny in some parts, and heartfelt in others, yet there was nothing groundbreaking about it. I would have given this movie a slightly higher score if Wes just allowed the movie to just be the cute little movie that it was. When it's reaching to be a profound statement about the lives of these kids, it fails to do so, and it just leaves a bad taste. The most emotional moments have all been done before in many other movies. It does feature a cast of strong, respected actors, like Frances McDormand, Edward Norton, Tilda Swinton, and Bill Murray, although I wouldn't put this in the discussion for being one of the betters performances, or one of the better movies, for any of those people. They were cute and quirky, just like the script. Something both Wes Anderson and his pal Noah Baumbach need to work on is knowing their limits though. That haughtiness they seem to have comes across in their movies, and ruins their appeal. Expand
  67. Oct 3, 2012
    Excellent film. Fantastic performances all round and wonderfully original. I honestly do not understand the extremely negative reviews here. This probably isn't a 10/10 film but at least an 8.
  68. Oct 3, 2012
    I'm not especially a fan of Mr Anderson's output. I found Rushmore to be bombastic and distastefully immature, if ambitious. Tenembaums never really peaked my interest. I started to get his approach with Zissou, allured as I was by his iconic visual style. I found the feature to be flawed, but it made me chuckle in a way no other film has before. His subject matter is somewhat pretentious, but for his treatment of an older man's coming of age, the splendid supporting cast and his perfect casting of Bill Murray in that role, he should and was commended. To my own detriment, I cheapened the experience by loitering in the auditorium after the screening to catch the sequel to a well known Wachowski brothers film, which, although sophisiticated in its own technical way, wasn't even in the same league. It begets a repeat viewing, but I've yet to get myself in the right frame of mind to fully appreciate it again. I was enticed into watching Darjeeling, once again by it's casting, and it's immaculate promotional poster. Unfortunately, I found that film to be somewhat self important, and, once again, undermined by distastefulness. I was drawn to this, his latest release, yes, once again, by his refreshingly unique style, which is both retro and very contemporary. On first viewing it failed to capture my interest. On a whole, for an adventure, the movie is dull: drawn out in places and rushed in others. His cinematic gags becoming a bit gimicky by this point. I did enjoy the universe he had created and, if I'm using the term correctly, the general mise en scene of its framing, to be most pleasing on the eye, but almost too much attention has been paid on this aspect (his priorities are almost inverted). The lack of worldliness is understandable in the younger cast, but I personally found the older characters to be somewhat one dimensional, the story to be slight, and the stilted delivery of its dialogue infuriatingly monotonous. (It's just not as funny as it thinks it is.) Arguably, this is intentional, and I'm sure there is a post-modern justification for the film's overall flatness. I'm sure he would likely use terms such as 'distancing effect', at which he has been succesful (the film's opening admittedly does resemble a dolls house - as Zissou's sub resembles a schematic). Maybe it's was just that there was such a large younger cast, I couldn't quite connect with the film's emotions (the word autism did surface in my consciousness a few times during viewing). Then, maybe perhaps I'm not meant to, for this seems to be a grown up film for young people, and very much an experience for those within it. I did find myself compelled to watch the film again, if not in it's entirety. Mainly to immerse myself once again in his rich universe, which I longed to re-inhabit shortly after the films close. Also, to share the company of its familiar cast, in fittingly new guises. At the risk of not being cooly understated, as most critics seem to be aware such fare requires, we are blessed by the presence of the sultry young Kara Hayward, a future screen siren in the making. This is very much her film. A gift. Expand
  69. Oct 1, 2012
    El cine es un mundo que se va llenando de las llamadas
  70. Sep 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To depart from the other comments Ive read on this movie. I will not use this as a way 2 love or hate Wes Anderson. The people who say their in love with it, and Anderson classic style is nothing shrt of genius n this film.... These people r phony. They r followng a trend of seemingly hving 2 comment on Andersons work on this film and make some lofty type of remark 2 make sure ther not berated by the artsy crowd who worship Wes. And 4 those who say they hate it b/c Anderson took his style of film n used it 2 cmptly take out any persnality or character formation b/c of his need 2 stay ironic above all else, incld. the script. These people r phony. They wnt 2 slam Wes as hard as they can by trying 2 come up w/ a lofty type of remark tht makes them above all the artsy types who will no doubt love this film. As 4 me I will jst make simple comments on the movie tht I watchd. It was a coming of age film based on a classic love story of boy meets girl. After they meet they keep in touch from a far but they realize their both outcast types and bond on this commonality. Eventually they hatch a plan 2 run away together. Trapped on a small but well to do Island the boy, Sam has to escape a boy scout platoon where he is constantly picked on and bullied. The leader of the troop, Scout Master Ward is a naive math teacher who feels the Khaki Scouts is his real work in life. Its a purposely overblown way of life on the island. In the sense The Khaki Scouts are a very well, very regimented group of 10-13 year old boys, who eat, sleep, and live the scouts. Suzys challenge isnt as bad. She is the spoiled girl in a family of individuals who is prone to being overlooked and does as she pleases with no real parental involvement. So the plan is hatched n Suzy meets Sam n the designated spot that he plannd for her using his skills from the scouts. He has a plan to go to a certain part of the island, but 1st they have to pitch camp at another spot b/c the destination is futher off. Once S. M. Ward learns of a scout gone missing he contacts the authority since its a 1 cop town. Along with Ward Caption Sharp set out on a search for the boy. Ward makes plans with his troops for a rescue mission and Capt. Sharp learns of Suzys escape from home from Suzie's parents. Along with S. M. Ward, Capt. Sharp and the troops, the parents, n a tour guide of sorts from the Island set out on a massive search for the two star crossed lovers. Set as a satirical comedy the movie follows a supposedly innocent trail of two kids finding love for the first time and goes even further for no apparent reason. Through the clumsy run ins with their would b captures, and dark humor moments like Suzy stabbing a scout with her lefty scissors. The film takes a inappropriate and careless turn into what can only be described as soft core child porn. I understand that when your 12 or 13 years old or you first start your curiosity of the other sex, (or same sex) its a very innocent n sacred process Weather your 1st kiss or 1st touch a girls body and vice-versa for the girl feeling through a boys pants when he is aroused. Is something that most of us go through. And I am not saying thers anythng wrong with this process of innocence and curiosity of ones sexuality. But Im not sure what the point of it is in this film other than to push the envelope and stand behind the protection of artistic integrity. The only reason it bothers me is because of the two child actors, especially the 13 year old Kara Hayward have to act out their delicate sexuality for the camera and for the enjoyment of the filmaker and everyone else involved. He (the director) could have easily gotten his point across without going as far as he did. The only reason for someone to take a scene further is for information purposes. To let the audience know what the characters are going through. But I dont think ther is a lack of understanding of what happens between a boy and a girl, we know what happens w/o him havng to strip a 13 y.o. Suzy is the love interest in the film and the boy Sam finds a way to run away w her for a night or 2. She is wearing a short school girl dress with stockings and Sam is in his scout outfit. So as they set up camp their talking n interacting when u get ur 1st shot of n up-skirt of this 13 y.o. Ok not that big of deal but whatever But when he decides to later play out their first kiss and him touching her breast from the outside of her training bra, and then commenting on Sams hard-on I think he went to far. By what standard. The standard of protecting childrens innocence, mind, body and soul. I think they could hve kissd n he could hve touched her breast on the outside of her dress, rather tht hve her n her training bra and panties for a few mins. of tha film. Thers even 1 scene where she pushes her undevlp Expand
  71. Sep 24, 2012
    Wes Anderson , he has an unique way to direct a film . And i thing this was him best direction . it was an amazing movie . Good story , there were some really funny moments but i they could make it more funnier with all those things happened . Good acting good location good idea but above of all its Wes Anderson's amazing direction . it was like a live action stop motion movie . so freaking love that style ! Expand
  72. Sep 24, 2012
    The premise seemed very interesting, an orphan loner escapes from scout camp to elope with a young girl. The authority figures (police, scout masters) search the island trying to find them, with the help of the girls parents and the rest of the scouts. It sounds like a classic coming of age story between two socially inept outcasts, were it conjures the isolation of adolescence and the awkwardness of youth as it enters into sexual maturity. But the film wasn't really about the story at all and this is were it fell massively short. Moonrise kingdom is basically about how many visually symmetrical shots Wes Anderson can put onto a screen within 1 hour and 30 minutes. The colour scheme is typical Wes Anderson, vibrant red, greens, yellows and blue's, little bobble hats on most of the characters. The man has a 5 minute sequence at the start of dolly shots going up and down a house. Then followed by a dolly shot that travels left to right tediously for about three minutes with Edward Norton as he wakes up and goes outside for breakfast. He repeats this shot about 3-4 times during the film for similar lengths of time. When a letter appears on screen it's shot from birds eye view from above, when the main character reads a map it's shot from a birds eye view from above....everything is perfectly symmetrical. When they go to open a tent it's shot dead centre, then it's shot inside perfect symmetry as you see the zip being opened Expand
  73. Sep 23, 2012
    A gem of a movie! Visually stunning with a warm and genuine story and every character absolutely lovable. This movie strengthens the hope that Hollywood can still offer something new. Excellent acting and I'm glad to see that all of the actors gave maximum, even though most of the roles have short screen time. I have also found the two young leads very believable. Every scene of the movie is like a precious miniature in itself. Also, the scenery is unbelievably beautiful and at some moments I had a feeling that I was inside a landscape. The music was well chosen. This is one of those movies that you can watch again immediately after you finish it. Expand
  74. Sep 21, 2012
    Quirky, whimsical and charming does not begin to describe, Moonrise Kingdom, which is one of the year's finest films and Wes Anderson's personal best (in my opinion). The movie follows a mature romance between people that are barely even mature yet (in terms of age). These kids elope from their damaged homes and have become the subject of a town-wide search to rescue them before "the storm" hits. The kids are played very well and with incredible maturity by Kara Hayward and Jared Gilman, and the all-star supporting cast, particularly Bruce Willis, did a fantastic job in their respective roles. They had a lot to chew on, thanks to Wes Anderson and his brilliant screenplay, which brimmed with colorful, distinct and flawed characters; and also deep story arcs. Despite the film's charming exterior, there was something deeply melancholic underlying its surface. It tackles some impressive themes like bullying, dysfunctional households and adultery (just to name a few) in an unapologetic and sometimes deadpan fashion. The perfectly symmetrical flow of the film will please any fan of the director and the grainy cinematography resembles a beautiful vintage postcard. I really have no complaints about this movie. I'm just hoping this gem does well in awards season. Expand
  75. Sep 18, 2012
    Moonrise Kingdom is a peculiar and beautiful movie, treats the story of a boy and a girl who met on a school play and fall in love, so they start to sending letters to each other and one day plan to escape together, in order to have a new life, far away from the adult world, which they both hate. It is interesting the dynamic that is generated between these two characters, because they both give to the other what their family does not provide; he compensates the understanding and support that needs the girl, and she pay off with attention and love. This story is so charming and magic because is the one that everyone wanted to have during their first love, although is not a complete happy ending; it has the precise end to make the story believable. Another exciting topic of the picture is the contrast and comparison between the child and the adult world. We see that the children do whatever they want and live guided by their imagination; however the adults do want they have to do and live guided by social conventions. Then we notice that the roles are change, the grown-ups cannot have a relationship or manage the children, but the boys have relationships and do not care of what the adults say. All of this happens because the story develops in the moonrise kingdom, a mixture between dreamland and neverland (the idea that the island where they live is fictional, also contributes to this concept). The performance of the protagonist couple is just brilliant. Expand
  76. Sep 4, 2012
    It was much to my surprise that my movie date leaned over half way through the film and whispered in my ear 'I don't get it... it's funny? yes?' Particularly when I had just spent the last hour with a big smile on my face... So I did what any reasonable male would do in similar circumstances. Never called her back.
    But it is now, as I put down these words, that I realize Wes Anderson
    might invent the kind of humor that speaks in sly remarks and intelligent repartee. After all, this is the gentleman responsible for "The Royal Tenenbaums" and "Life Aquatic." Films filled with all kinds of quirky characters that are never obvious to decipher.
    Perhaps is my European upbringing that allows me to relate to his flavor of sense of humor. In the old country it is rare to have a laugh at someone smashing a pie in your face, a-la-Jim-Carrey. Too obvious. We do it more with combinations of words that require three different explanations and a day to marinade. Neither is better. It just tastes different.
    With or without my rather attractive yet long-gone companion, Wes Anderson delivered quite the good film. On the surface the story follows the romantic quest of a teen couple determined to come together and run away whether the adults like it or not. Which is a good thing, because the adults seem to be the ones out of touch with things in this Anderson microcosm. The kids are on point, determined, and ready to make all the adult decisions. Which is the humor of the thing. While the adults are always at a loss, indecisive, and in total disarray, specially in their personal lives.
    The dramatic performances were exacted with such surgical precision that it is obviously directed as such. No human takes their words and emotions to that extreme wax-museum-like delivery. Again, that is the humor of the thing.
    I found the marriage of music and imagery fantastic. It opens as it ends. The visuals leave no room for mistaken identity. There is always a haunting quality of being trapped inside a doll house within a little kid's story book. A compromise of innocence and seriousness from which to tell a story of painfully contrasting human emotions. The unrelenting honesty of a true heart ache versus the hopeless defeat of a disappointing adult world. Fantastic.
    One last thing... To the gorgeous girl whose calls I didn't return... Call me back. I found a movie with lots of smashing pies.
  77. Aug 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The year was 1955. Thereupon Ngo Dinh Diem's launching of a propagandist campaign("Denounce the Communists") against the Viet Cong, his collectivist-minded opponent, the war began, in earnest. During the intervening time, before our boys entered the fray, the South Vietnamese president killed 12,000 of these so-called commies, and for good measure, imprisoned 40,000, no doubt, innocent men, but still we supported the ROV despot. Ten years later, our consortium with a nation that allegedly shared the same democratic principles and ideals with our forefathers continued, bombing Diem's enemy to the north in the process, as part of an operation called Flaming Dart, which knocked out North Vietnam's industrial infrastructure. 1965 was also the year that President Johnson deployed the 3rd Marine Division(the first Americans to arrive in the Southeast Asian country) to quell the uprising of North Vietnamese insurgents at Da Nang Airport. Meanwhile, Keith Richards was dating Linda Keith, the groupie who would serve as his muse when the debauched musician penned "Ruby Tuesday", an elegiac ballad from The Rolling Stones album Between the Buttons. The song serves as the soundtrack of forbidden love in The Royal Tennenbaums, when Richie declares himself to his adopted sister Margo, and has the razor cuts on both wrists to prove it. They lie down in Richie's tent, sharing the same sleeping bag they used as children, when the pair ran away from home and camped out in a museum. Not for nothing does the on-screen narrator establish the year in Moonrise Kingdom, since this period piece film is a humanist riff on the French New Wave classic Pierrot le fou, Godard's polemic against the Vietnam War. The exposition is stealthily laid out in The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, the Benjamin Britten album that Suzy's brother plays on his phonograph, which indirectly explains how the film could be interpreted as Francois Truffaut's take on the 1965 film, when the scratchy female voice deconstructs art, explaining how an artist can play variations of the same theme. Similar to the self-aware French gangsters, Sam and Suzy are lovers on the lam, who end up occupying a coastline. Although the children lack their adult counterparts' pessimistic worldview, Moonrise Kingdom has more than Small Change on its mind. Its romanticism is barbed. This seemingly comic film is also politically-charged, sharing with Pierrot le fou, the same anti-Vietnam sentiment, best-exemplified in Sam's resignation from the Khaki Scouts, a thinly-veiled reference to our armed forces, which makes the small boy a conscientious objector. Scout Master Ward runs Camp Ivanhoe with the bombast of a four-star general, treating the boys as subordinates with a regimented severity that is uncannily military-like. When the scout master emerges from his sleeping quarters, it's with ceremony, demanding reports from the Khakis about their respective projects and threatening them with demeritorious citations like a cartoon version of Patton, as he advances incrementally towards the dining area, where the tight ship he commandeers is suddenly undermined by Sam's disappearance. Alone in the tent, Ward dictates his memoirs into a tape recorder, as one would during wartime. (Later, he saves a superior officer's life, which is pure war movie hokum.) When the search party discovers the children's encampment on the beach, and the children themselves, caught, perhaps, under post-coital conditions, reverberations of The Royal Tennenbaums can be felt. This time, the forbidden love, of course, isn't attributed to any quasi-blood relation, but rather, their prepubescence. A manifesto, however, is embedded in the children's actions that transcends the illicitness of their love. Juxtaposed against the representative military base, Fort Lebanon, whose Vietnam iconography can be glimpsed in the background as Cousin Ben walks the underage couple to the chapel, the children's affinity for each other seems like a revolutionary act. It's more than a case of puppy love, more than your typical boy meets girl narrative. Their romance is symbolic, of the anarchic sort, both personal and political, bringing to mind the late-sixties catchphrase: "Make love, not war," due to their preternatural maturity, and what such a relationship entails contextually. Sam is a lover, not a killer. In Pierrot le fou, Ferdinand tells the story of the man in the moon's exile from his sphere, after an American astronaut shoves a Coke bottle in the lunar being's mouth. In Melody, Alan Parker makes the same critique against capitalism when Daniel knocks over a Coca-Cola bottle during a dinner party thrown by his bourgeoisie parents. Not working in the Truffaut spirit, Parker has his students attacking the teachers, in order for Daniel and Melody, the newlyweds, to get away by trolley car. Sam and Suzy are romantics, but they won't be bricks in a wall. Expand
  78. Aug 14, 2012
    After the lightning, I felt like the movie started loosing it's originality and perfect awkwardness. Overall, it's one of the most captivating, unique movies I've ever seen
  79. Aug 12, 2012
    If you like Wes Anderson films you will love this quirkly coming of age story of Suzy and Sam who think they are alone as oddballs in their world till they find each other and run away together. I am not a big Wes Anderson fan but I really enjoyed this movie quite a bit as it crosses back and forth between innocence and ignorance and fantasy and reality. Where do these thoughts/feelings intersect Anderson seems to ask and when did we as adults last care or take notice? The kids run away and explore freedom and their feelings but the director wisely chooses to avoid showing intercourse (god forbid-what could be worse in America?) but they kiss and touching in an innocent way that makes us long for those days when we first loved that way. The acting overall is great- I enjoyed Frances McDormand, Bruce Willis, Harvey Keitel and Ed Norton but was quite disappointed with Bill Murray. Excellent feeling of the sixties era on Long Island or New England, good music added drama and rhythm, and the reading of the letters by Sam (Jared Gilman) and Susy (Kara Hayward) to start their friendship as pen pals and Susy's binoculars are just 2 details thst show Anderson's devotion to his craft. Good film for couples, families, and the young at heart. Collapse
  80. Aug 10, 2012
    Definitely an Oscar film, Wes Anderson's offbeat (and at times, dark) sense of humor sets this comedy apart, as do wonderful performances by both the name actors AND younger cast members.
  81. Aug 8, 2012
    Move over Bruce Willis! Bruce Willis is in town! Wait what? I don't know, but Bruce Willis was great in this and he didn't even punch/shoot/kick anyone or spout any cool catch phrases. Like Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and LA Story before it, Moonrise Kingdom is a movie. Whether or not you like movies may have a lot to do with how much you enjoy Moonrise Kingdom. Ask yourself: Have I ever seen a movie before? If the answer is no, then it is weird that you are reading this. Go see a movie. Should this be the first movie you ever see? Probably not. Go see Nell. It is about you. Then you can see this and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machinerators and Forrest Gump. But why stop there? There are literally thousands of movies you can go see now that are not being like Nell. Also, Bill Murray is in this. If you have seen a movie before, you might know that Bill Murray is pretty funny sometimes. If you are ok with that, and secure in your own level of humor, you might like to see this movie and even laugh sometimes at Bill Murray or even some of the other actors. Oh yes! There are other actors! One of them was in Fargo, and one of them made his mother cry (but I won't say which one!). Movies: the more you know. Expand
  82. Aug 8, 2012
    I enjoy a unique movie going expeirience. Wes Anderson absolutely provides that. Yet Anderson doesnt always blend his unique approach to make a good movie, in my opinion. Rushmore was great, Life Aquatic was a masterpiece, this one falls somewhere in between. Rent at home, enjoy!
  83. Aug 3, 2012
    My fourth Wes Anderson film, a 2D cinema-going, the previous three are THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS (2001, a 7/10), THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU (2004, an 8/10) and THE DARJEELING LIMITED (2007, a 6/10). With its burgeoning domestic box-office performance (a $38.8M by last week, only second to THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS, which cashed in around 52M in the whole run), MOONRISE KINGDOM has a chance to be elevated into the weighty consideration as the BEST PICTURE contender in the Oscar race for the first time for Mr. Anderson, and a more potent edge is that it has gathered his idiosyncratic innovative creativity and incubates it with a fairly engaging story, therefore it can be conceived as his most developed and fully grown work to date. Apart from Anderson Expand
  84. Jul 31, 2012
    Funny and delightful even on the surface. I remember laughing at the fantastic deadpan humor of this ensemble cast. This film endears at every turn, making this a worthy experience for your money.
  85. Jul 29, 2012
    pe·do·phil·i·a/ˌpedəˈfilēə/
    Noun:
    Sexual feelings directed toward children

Can someone please explain how watching 11 year-olds kissing and fondling one another is NOT pedophelia? This movie was disgusting.
  86. Jul 24, 2012
    This is my first Wes Anderson movie in quite a few years and have to say I am glad that I gave him another try. As we all now his style is quite unique and while I would not every director to run out to copy it, I found this movie very enjoyable. The way that Anderson makes his characters deliver their lines in the same manner and tome no matter what emotion they are feeling adds humor to situations and dialogue where you would not normally find it. I also found this movie visually enjoyable, each shot can almost be framed like a still picture, this gives the audience a cinema experience unlike any they are likely to find elsewhere. While I don't think Anderson's style makes for difficult work for his actors, it is still hard to argue that any of the performances are less than stellar. Overall a fun enjoyable film that will be worth a second viewing and make me go back and re watch some of his earlier films. Expand
  87. Jul 22, 2012
    Moonrise Kingdom by Ivette Fred-Rivera

I loved the movie, I recommend it.

Excellent ambience of the sixties era, great music used as a narrative element adding drama and rhythm, the use of the reading of the letters by Sam (Jared Gilman) and Susy (Kara Hayward) to show how their friendship as pen pals progresses into love in a linear sequence, actually, excellent performances of
    both, dynamic and unusual camera angles such as the ones seen when two scenes in different places are presented simultaneously because the screen is visually divided in half, and how we spectators identify with the left side of the screen where the good and concerned characters about the welfare of Sam are located because we have already identified ourselves with orphan Sam! (how could we not)? Exquisite composition and use of light. Very careful visual arrangements to advance the plot. I have to say that the detail of the mother Expand
  88. Jul 21, 2012
    The sets, photography were all from the point of view of a 13 year old. And it was done with a great sense of humor, and good eye for artful viewing. The movie was as much a Sendak style adventure as it was a teen's internal quest for autonomy, intimacy, and love.
  89. Jul 19, 2012
    This movie, straight up, is just really enjoyable. The way it was filmed makes it feel like your in some grey area between reality and a fairy tale, and it worked wonderfully. One of my favorite things about the movie was how goofy, quirky, and irrational most of the characters are. I thought maybe the reason for this was because the movie was filmed from the perspective of 2 kids, who were sort of outcasts; and so they perceive all these adults and other kids as really weird and irrational because of how different they are from themselves. I don't know, just a thought. But overall, a really great movie that doesn't drag on any longer than it needs to (about an hour and a half). Expand
  90. Jul 15, 2012
    I went in jaded and was ready to hate the preciousness of it all, but this gem won me over. A summer treat from a man with a vision. You pretty much know what you're going to get with Wes Anderson, but here it comes together with style and grace.
  91. Jul 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A pre-teen's fantasy of rebellion and how adults might act in reaction to a runaway by two unlikely misfits. A failed satire of military organizations that tries way too hard to be precious-cutesy at the same time. We're given scenes from "Peter Pan" wtih the ersatz Wendy reading to the "Lost Boys" and every military movie in which the soldier "busted" before the group with his emblems ceremoniously removed, who later commits acts of heroism in defense of the group and the clueless leader who 'busted' him. The 'adults' alternately act realistically in one scene, then as caricatures in the next. This is a disappointing mess of a movie. Expand
  92. Jul 12, 2012
    Watching Moonrise Kingdom is like going to a fancy art gallery. Sure the film is wonderfully rendered, just like those pieces of art, but you're always on the outside when watching the film (some preposterous scenes make it hard to connect with the film sometimes), just as you are when observing the art in the gallery. Nonetheless, Moonrise Kingdom is a very-well packaged piece of art, with Wes Anderson's signature over everything in the film. Trust me, Moonrise Kingdom is 100% Wes Anderson, from the linear cinematography to the mischievous score to the dialogue and even down to the character's names. Laughs are abundant in this starkly witty, quirky, and overall enjoyable film. It's a must-see for anyone, particularly those who like intelligent, well-acted offbeat films. At the end of the day, you have to admit, no one quite makes a film like Wes Anderson does. Expand
  93. Jul 11, 2012
    After a meandering start, it takes flight and is magical. True to form, Wes Anderson. Tender at the core and odd on the outside. Sweet perfection, lovely.
  94. Jul 10, 2012
    Wes Anderson at his best! Moonrise Kingdom will go down as one of his greatest. From the corky scripting, to the incredible cinematography, this film is hard not to enjoy.
  95. Jul 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Moonrise Kingdom tells a mythological tale of social chaos (symbolized by the storm and Noah's Ark play) that gets resolved in a peaceful way rather than through a violent expulsion or sacrifice (except for the poor dog). Those methods are the kneejerk solutions to social confusion we expect in most communities/myths/movies. The movie begins with the chaos of adults acting like children while training the children to be adults prematurely. The orphan boy and Susie personally experience this lack of order and are trying to find peace and be prematurely adult because the island's adults are failing to provide proper care. The two teenagers accept their difference and try to leave the disorder around them for the best kind of natural and normal life and relationship they're capable of. This makes them outsiders who are blamed for the chaos that the adults have created for themselves and their children. The scouts who attack the young couple, the social service system lady, and Susie's parents use the usual blame, expulsion, and injuring/killing of these odd ones so society can return to its "normal" disorder that the adults take for order. But the Ed Norton scout leader and Bruce Willis police chief undergo personal change to take responsibility to help the children. These adults in official roles of order choose to resolve the conflict peacefully by recognizing the young couples' desparate, forced attempt to find their own sense of good order for themselves by just withdrawing from the community's disorder. And by choosing not to go through with their suicide the couple eschew the role of victims. They take the chance to live peacefully in a truly more healthy order where responsible adults care effectively for growing children. The new, true order is symbolized in the childrens' changed name of the inlet to Moonrise Kingdom following the island's great storm/chaos that's untypically been resolved peacefully. This is a simple innocent movie myth indeed that gifts us with an alternative to more common violent myths. These myths presume the necessity for a violence that gains a mere temporary peace, just the reconstituting of a still fundamentally chaotic "order." It will require repeated violence to keep chaos at bay, but never resolved. If my interpretation is sound then Wes Anderson may, like me, have been reading the cultural theorist Rene Girard. Girard has accomplished a startling unmasking of the myths, prohibitions and sacrifices that go along with the violent expulsion at the foundation of all societies. From whatever source, Wes Anderson has created a counter myth that presents a community's alternative choice to re-form/re-found itself through personal and social changes that lead to a peaceful social reconciliation. Moonrise Kingdom portrays adults learning wisdom from the mouth of babes. Expand
  96. Jul 9, 2012
    One of the greatest, most unique directors of our time, Wes Anderson, is back with his seventh film and it doesn
  97. Jul 8, 2012
    Watching this movie I felt like a Democrat stuck in a Republican convention. I understood that everybody seemed to be liking what was going on in the movie but for the life of me couldn't figure out why. Liking whimsy and fair tales is a must for all Wes Anderson fans who, in my opinion is Tim Burton lite. Chacun a son goute.
  98. Jul 7, 2012
    Not particularly sweet or charming or clever, but rather a fairly stilted, posturing attempt to be all three (or at least the first two). A waste of a lot of talented (adult) actors. I loved the music, though (which, of course, was from Britten and others), and I thought the musical joke/take off during the credits was the best part (and maybe reason enough to stay to the end).
  99. Jul 6, 2012
    This movie is pointless. One of the worst films I have ever seen. Simple metaphors made lifeless and absurd. I can't believe that this cast chose this script; maybe the problem was with directing? The kids are smarter than adults formula made even more unpleasant than usual because the kids in this movie are just as unpleasant as the adults. This is not art, it's fools gold. Just being weird is not enough. Ugh. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Jun 27, 2012
    These characters don't realize they're funny, and the actors are determined not to push it. Willis fares best, playing against in-control type; Murray fans expecting a comedy explosion won't find it here.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jun 22, 2012
    A thoroughly endearing journey, and one of the most enjoyable and touching movies to land in theaters so far this year.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 21, 2012
    The film is precious and adorable, but it isn't naïve, and the movie breathes so deep that Anderson even gets a real performance out of Willis (this is his best work in years).