6.7

1. Feb 20, 2015
    What were people given before they went to this movie and came out exclaiming it to be so wonderful? Really "blown away"? I wish I had been blown away before entering the theatre. Did I see a different movie? I must have because I wanted to slit my wrists half way through and only continued watching it because I wasn't sure if my wife was into it and didn't want to be negative. BTW sheWhat were people given before they went to this movie and came out exclaiming it to be so wonderful? Really "blown away"? I wish I had been blown away before entering the theatre. Did I see a different movie? I must have because I wanted to slit my wrists half way through and only continued watching it because I wasn't sure if my wife was into it and didn't want to be negative. BTW she hated it too. Expand
  2. Dec 28, 2014
    A beautifully crafted,dismal, degrading and hugely disappointing descent into a narrow depiction of a small slice of Turner's life. The film hardly relates to his painting process or what it meant and felt to him at all, in fact it gives the impression that his art was just something he did as an occupation and something wholly inconsequential. Instead it focused entirely on every bit ofA beautifully crafted,dismal, degrading and hugely disappointing descent into a narrow depiction of a small slice of Turner's life. The film hardly relates to his painting process or what it meant and felt to him at all, in fact it gives the impression that his art was just something he did as an occupation and something wholly inconsequential. Instead it focused entirely on every bit of negativity of his life and character, spiced with a couple of well known incidents handled in a halfhearted manner in an effort at convincing us that this is still the man we came to see. The non-existing story line rambles on at the later part of his life and is more a socio-cultural portrait of the environment he lived in, filled with sickly, ugly pathological men and women, living in stuffy repressed times, stumbling on to their shabby graves. The film does not touch upon his childhood or background, his growth and passion for art, the technicalities and extraordinary development of his work, and the undoubtedly ecstatic states he must have derived from the fulfilling moments of his efforts. Absolutely nothing to show us and touch us about what drove and inspired the man. Nothing about the flight, the journey, the adventure. Given that he was such a profound artist and his visual understanding was a century before his time, it is mind boggling that everything that truly matters about him has been sidelined and that instead we are served a mean and mediocre extract of the least interesting little parts of this genius's life and personality. What a let down, no wonder the 'top critics' love it. The filming, lighting, ambiance and visuals are flawless and duly equaled by a wonderful cast of great actors... What a wasted opportunity! What a perverse disappointment. Expand
  3. Dec 26, 2014
    Despite beautiful cinematography, an intriguing soundtrack and a career performance by Timothy Spall, this overlong, meandering, unfocused biopic brings us no closer to understanding the protagonist or the motivations behind his life and his art than we did at the picture's outset. For Mike Leigh, a writer-director known for his character studies, this is a major disappointment, where theDespite beautiful cinematography, an intriguing soundtrack and a career performance by Timothy Spall, this overlong, meandering, unfocused biopic brings us no closer to understanding the protagonist or the motivations behind his life and his art than we did at the picture's outset. For Mike Leigh, a writer-director known for his character studies, this is a major disappointment, where the principal element of his filmmaking style is almost wholly lacking. It's a true mystery why this film is being lavished with such undeserved praise. Expand
  4. Dec 31, 2014
    After spending much of the film wandering aimlessly, Timothy Spall's performance as Mr. Turner is comprised largely of mumbling and phlegmy grunts. To me, the appeal is very non-existent. "Do as you wish, view as you wish."
  5. Dec 19, 2014
    Opening inauspiciously, Mr. Turner threatens to give credence to the phrase ‘worthy but dull’. As the film goes on, though, it slowly draws you in to the richness of its characters and period. Leisurely paced, beautifully designed and, as with all Mike Leigh’s best films, elevated by some wonderful performances from many of his regular collaborators. Timothy Spall plays the famed painterOpening inauspiciously, Mr. Turner threatens to give credence to the phrase ‘worthy but dull’. As the film goes on, though, it slowly draws you in to the richness of its characters and period. Leisurely paced, beautifully designed and, as with all Mike Leigh’s best films, elevated by some wonderful performances from many of his regular collaborators. Timothy Spall plays the famed painter in the last years of his life as an unsympathetic crude man and is totally believable grunting and scowling his way through the film. Nevertheless, he is all but eclipsed by two women in the cast. Dorothy Atkinson is outstanding as his doting housekeeper, and Marion Bailey is equally fine as the woman who became his last mistress. He meets her during one of his stays at her lodgings in Margate, the town of inspiration for much of his greatest work.
    Throughout its 150 minutes, director Mike Leigh pays exquisite attention to detail and the look of the film is so precise that you can almost smell and feel the period. The costumes are beautiful renditions of the time but have an authentic lived in look, and the hair and make- up is also of a high standard. Only the music disappoints as it is far to glum and depressing. Admittedly the film is not a barrel of laughs, but there is enough occasional humour peppered within the screenplay to have afforded a less melancholic score from composer Gary Yershon.
  6. Dec 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was going into this film expecting a masterpiece of a film, seeing that all the critics were praising this film like it was the second coming of Christ, however, it was just an okay film. I really enjoyed the scenery and the recreation of the time period and the acting, if somewhat hammy in parts( most people in the audience laughed at Turners breakdown in the brothel), was good. A lot of creaitivity was put into this and I really appreciate the effort made. That being said I found this film rather mundane in parts and the narrative jagged, it comes across as segments of him acting rather unsavoury and I didn't think the film really explored what made Mr Turner tick or any clarity for the audience to empathizes with him. Its like you almost see snippets of humanity in him but then its just dropped in the next instance. Also I found the music rather dull and gloomy and really undermines the tone of the film which seems to transmute between misplaced whimsy and someone walking to a bridge to jump off from. We didn't see what inspires him to create these works of art and it didn't need some worldly explanation but I would've liked a reason, no matter how off handed. I did enjoy seeing Mr Turner work on his paintings, even though it was rather constraint and never truly emphasised and major credit should go to actor Timothy Spall who learnt to paint for 2 years to prepare for this role. If your an art enthusiasts like myself you would like this and get some enjoyment in it but if you're expecting something on the lines of an epic drama then steer clear, some of the negative reviews on here have a point and shouldn't be overlooked. Expand
  7. Jan 4, 2015
    Boring, long and no story. Where was the story of the painter or his art? Only the 2nd time I ever left a movie early. He must have had some redeeming qualities.
  8. Jan 8, 2015
    Mr. Turner could be Mike Leigh's (71) most accomplished work in a remarkable career where every film from Secrets & Lies, Vera Drake to Another Year have been staggering humanist masterpieces.
    Visually Mr Turner is Leigh's most gorgeous film, filling the screen with scenic beauty and human warmth.
    Mr. Turner also contains some of Leigh's best tightly controlled and masterfully executed drama.
    Timothy Spall too as Turner is simply a magnificent dominating screen presence, bringing years and years of acting experience to a role that lends such philosophical and emotional weight.
    Awards season beckons!
  9. Dec 19, 2014
    I'll get right to the point, Mr. Turner is absolutely horrible. A movie that is painful to watch because of its unbearable length, extreme boredom, a main character that nobody will like and a story of utter trash. Mr. Turner is everything a movie shouldn't be. I hated literally every minute of this ridiculous 150 minute film.
  10. Dec 23, 2014
    This movie is overall boring to watch because its way too long. This movie has nothing special to do around audiences. Overall, a waste of time and lack of acting.
  11. Jan 4, 2015
    Snort...........Moan........Snort.........Moan...........Snort...........Moan..............Snort..................Moan
    This is the dialogue from Mr. Turner
  12. Dec 20, 2014
    Saw this a month or so ago when it came out in the UK (hint hint metacritic.) Not the sort of thing I would typically go an see, but was under a modicum of duress and had heard reports of it being very good. I was blown away within the first 10 minutes, the photography is stunning, the acting is phenomenal and my suspension of disbelief was absolute. A movie so good it doesn't need a plot.Saw this a month or so ago when it came out in the UK (hint hint metacritic.) Not the sort of thing I would typically go an see, but was under a modicum of duress and had heard reports of it being very good. I was blown away within the first 10 minutes, the photography is stunning, the acting is phenomenal and my suspension of disbelief was absolute. A movie so good it doesn't need a plot.

I did find it slightly over-long, but that probably had more to do with the cinema seats rather than what was happening on-screen.
  13. Feb 8, 2015
    Surely has to be one of the best films of the year with one of the best film performances of the year as well. Not a movie for someone who needs a Hollywood movie with a nonsensical story and name stars. The acting, the story, the cinematography, the sets and the settings are to die for. Mike Leigh has hit this one out of the park on every level. Can't believe how good it was.
  14. Dec 21, 2014
    Mike Leigh’s ‘beauty and the beast’ is meticulously detailed with a haunting score and breathtaking cinematography- whether billowing locomotive smoke or pastel sails at sunset. Mr. Spall’s brilliantly captures J.M.W. Turner - a self-described grotesque looking man emitting a cacophony of snorts and grunts between astute observations and animalistic sexual encounters. SupportingMike Leigh’s ‘beauty and the beast’ is meticulously detailed with a haunting score and breathtaking cinematography- whether billowing locomotive smoke or pastel sails at sunset. Mr. Spall’s brilliantly captures J.M.W. Turner - a self-described grotesque looking man emitting a cacophony of snorts and grunts between astute observations and animalistic sexual encounters. Supporting characters are forever etched in our memory. In contrast, an artist obsessed with capturing light lived a dark and dismal existence. In conclusion, the more enlightened we become the less we want to know him. Expand
  15. Dec 26, 2014
    A soundtrack lifted straight out of Looney Tunes couldn't have been more mismatched than this one. Were it not for far better film-making and the subject, this music would have stood alone as psychotic. Any attempts at compassion and sheer wonder were panned by a score that couldn't have been more insular and ridiculous. I still give the film an easy 8 out of a possible 10.
  16. Feb 6, 2015
    My friend and I both thought it terrible terrible: from inaudible parts and not understanding some British terminology, to an overly long movie with no story. It was unbelievably the worst movie we have ever seen and we view two movies a week. We could not wait for it to end.
  17. Feb 7, 2015
    This is one of the best films I have ever seen. Timothy Spall is outstanding in the role of Turner. The film reeks of authenticity and is beautifully paced reflecting the time in which it is set. It paints a picture of a real person, not some artificially spruced up polished character. Turner was by all accounts as Spall plays him, taciturn, gruff and direct. It is a reflection on theThis is one of the best films I have ever seen. Timothy Spall is outstanding in the role of Turner. The film reeks of authenticity and is beautifully paced reflecting the time in which it is set. It paints a picture of a real person, not some artificially spruced up polished character. Turner was by all accounts as Spall plays him, taciturn, gruff and direct. It is a reflection on the state of the Oscars that this performance has not been recognized as worthy of contention. A great film, a great director in Mike Leigh and a great actor in Spall my opinion. Expand
  18. Feb 27, 2015
    Extremely disappointed. From other reviews, I was expecting a decent portrayal of Turner's artistic life, quirks, passions and lots of landscape colors. I got those, but not in a very cohesive manner. Instead, you got a poor script that had no flow or continuity- kept jumping around and you were trying to make sense of a scene as to what it was saying and why it was there and then youExtremely disappointed. From other reviews, I was expecting a decent portrayal of Turner's artistic life, quirks, passions and lots of landscape colors. I got those, but not in a very cohesive manner. Instead, you got a poor script that had no flow or continuity- kept jumping around and you were trying to make sense of a scene as to what it was saying and why it was there and then you were somewhere else in an instant. As for Turner's character, you needn't have thought it was an international film- if you like scowling, grunting and growling, they are universal in any language. When Turner wasn't doing the foregoing, he talked like he had marbles in his mouth. I usually don't have problems understanding British dialect having lived over there for a long time, but I had problems with getting the lines in this film- mostly because he never opened his mouth except to pout. I can understand a generally grumpy personality, but this portrayal kept pulling me out of the realm of credibility- here sits Mrs. Booth (his pseudo-wife at the end of his life), smiling brightly like the sun in the sky, smiling coquettishly at a squinty-eyed Scrooge- we're really supposed to believe that anyone could be attracted to such a man as portrayed? Bah Humbug! (I kept expecting him to say it at any moment.) It really was a shame because the cinematography, music, costumes and production design were all Oscar worthy (for which they were nominated and I agreed). It should have been also nominated for human sound effects- if they could just reshoot it without them, it would have been a much better film! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Mar 1, 2015
    Relaxed editing and well-researched set and costumes give us a firm feeling of the period, and Dick Pope (who has worked with Leigh 10 times) excels. It’s a cliche to say a cinematographer does painterly work, but Pope suffuses the screen with light in the way Turner did his canvases.
  2. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Feb 2, 2015
    Mr. Turner is no barrel of laughs. It's a barrel of life - an extraordinary one.
  3. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Jan 28, 2015
    There is little in the way of narrative eventfulness in the film, but Leigh luxuriates in the moments, and provides glimpses of what it takes to be an artist amid the fray.