Mr. Turner

6.8

1. Feb 27, 2015
    Extremely disappointed. From other reviews, I was expecting a decent portrayal of Turner's artistic life, quirks, passions and lots of landscape colors. I got those, but not in a very cohesive manner. Instead, you got a poor script that had no flow or continuity- kept jumping around and you were trying to make sense of a scene as to what it was saying and why it was there and then youExtremely disappointed. From other reviews, I was expecting a decent portrayal of Turner's artistic life, quirks, passions and lots of landscape colors. I got those, but not in a very cohesive manner. Instead, you got a poor script that had no flow or continuity- kept jumping around and you were trying to make sense of a scene as to what it was saying and why it was there and then you were somewhere else in an instant. As for Turner's character, you needn't have thought it was an international film- if you like scowling, grunting and growling, they are universal in any language. When Turner wasn't doing the foregoing, he talked like he had marbles in his mouth. I usually don't have problems understanding British dialect having lived over there for a long time, but I had problems with getting the lines in this film- mostly because he never opened his mouth except to pout. I can understand a generally grumpy personality, but this portrayal kept pulling me out of the realm of credibility- here sits Mrs. Booth (his pseudo-wife at the end of his life), smiling brightly like the sun in the sky, smiling coquettishly at a squinty-eyed Scrooge- we're really supposed to believe that anyone could be attracted to such a man as portrayed? Bah Humbug! (I kept expecting him to say it at any moment.) It really was a shame because the cinematography, music, costumes and production design were all Oscar worthy (for which they were nominated and I agreed). It should have been also nominated for human sound effects- if they could just reshoot it without them, it would have been a much better film! Expand
  2. Feb 20, 2015
    What were people given before they went to this movie and came out exclaiming it to be so wonderful? Really "blown away"? I wish I had been blown away before entering the theatre. Did I see a different movie? I must have because I wanted to slit my wrists half way through and only continued watching it because I wasn't sure if my wife was into it and didn't want to be negative. BTW sheWhat were people given before they went to this movie and came out exclaiming it to be so wonderful? Really "blown away"? I wish I had been blown away before entering the theatre. Did I see a different movie? I must have because I wanted to slit my wrists half way through and only continued watching it because I wasn't sure if my wife was into it and didn't want to be negative. BTW she hated it too. Expand
  3. Dec 31, 2014
    After spending much of the film wandering aimlessly, Timothy Spall's performance as Mr. Turner is comprised largely of mumbling and phlegmy grunts. To me, the appeal is very non-existent. "Do as you wish, view as you wish."
  4. Dec 28, 2014
    A beautifully crafted,dismal, degrading and hugely disappointing descent into a narrow depiction of a small slice of Turner's life. The film hardly relates to his painting process or what it meant and felt to him at all, in fact it gives the impression that his art was just something he did as an occupation and something wholly inconsequential. Instead it focused entirely on every bit ofA beautifully crafted,dismal, degrading and hugely disappointing descent into a narrow depiction of a small slice of Turner's life. The film hardly relates to his painting process or what it meant and felt to him at all, in fact it gives the impression that his art was just something he did as an occupation and something wholly inconsequential. Instead it focused entirely on every bit of negativity of his life and character, spiced with a couple of well known incidents handled in a halfhearted manner in an effort at convincing us that this is still the man we came to see. The non-existing story line rambles on at the later part of his life and is more a socio-cultural portrait of the environment he lived in, filled with sickly, ugly pathological men and women, living in stuffy repressed times, stumbling on to their shabby graves. The film does not touch upon his childhood or background, his growth and passion for art, the technicalities and extraordinary development of his work, and the undoubtedly ecstatic states he must have derived from the fulfilling moments of his efforts. Absolutely nothing to show us and touch us about what drove and inspired the man. Nothing about the flight, the journey, the adventure. Given that he was such a profound artist and his visual understanding was a century before his time, it is mind boggling that everything that truly matters about him has been sidelined and that instead we are served a mean and mediocre extract of the least interesting little parts of this genius's life and personality. What a let down, no wonder the 'top critics' love it. The filming, lighting, ambiance and visuals are flawless and duly equaled by a wonderful cast of great actors... What a wasted opportunity! What a perverse disappointment. Expand
  5. Jan 4, 2015
    Boring, long and no story. Where was the story of the painter or his art? Only the 2nd time I ever left a movie early. He must have had some redeeming qualities.
  6. Jan 8, 2015
    Mr. Turner could be Mike Leigh's (71) most accomplished work in a remarkable career where every film from Secrets & Lies, Vera Drake to Another Year have been staggering humanist masterpieces.
    Visually Mr Turner is Leigh's most gorgeous film, filling the screen with scenic beauty and human warmth.
    Mr. Turner also contains some of Leigh's best tightly controlled and masterfully executed drama.
    Timothy Spall too as Turner is simply a magnificent dominating screen presence, bringing years and years of acting experience to a role that lends such philosophical and emotional weight.
    Awards season beckons!
  7. Feb 6, 2015
    My friend and I both thought it terrible terrible: from inaudible parts and not understanding some British terminology, to an overly long movie with no story. It was unbelievably the worst movie we have ever seen and we view two movies a week. We could not wait for it to end.
  8. Dec 26, 2014
    Despite beautiful cinematography, an intriguing soundtrack and a career performance by Timothy Spall, this overlong, meandering, unfocused biopic brings us no closer to understanding the protagonist or the motivations behind his life and his art than we did at the picture's outset. For Mike Leigh, a writer-director known for his character studies, this is a major disappointment, where theDespite beautiful cinematography, an intriguing soundtrack and a career performance by Timothy Spall, this overlong, meandering, unfocused biopic brings us no closer to understanding the protagonist or the motivations behind his life and his art than we did at the picture's outset. For Mike Leigh, a writer-director known for his character studies, this is a major disappointment, where the principal element of his filmmaking style is almost wholly lacking. It's a true mystery why this film is being lavished with such undeserved praise. Expand
  9. Dec 19, 2014
    Opening inauspiciously, Mr. Turner threatens to give credence to the phrase ‘worthy but dull’. As the film goes on, though, it slowly draws you in to the richness of its characters and period. Leisurely paced, beautifully designed and, as with all Mike Leigh’s best films, elevated by some wonderful performances from many of his regular collaborators. Timothy Spall plays the famed painterOpening inauspiciously, Mr. Turner threatens to give credence to the phrase ‘worthy but dull’. As the film goes on, though, it slowly draws you in to the richness of its characters and period. Leisurely paced, beautifully designed and, as with all Mike Leigh’s best films, elevated by some wonderful performances from many of his regular collaborators. Timothy Spall plays the famed painter in the last years of his life as an unsympathetic crude man and is totally believable grunting and scowling his way through the film. Nevertheless, he is all but eclipsed by two women in the cast. Dorothy Atkinson is outstanding as his doting housekeeper, and Marion Bailey is equally fine as the woman who became his last mistress. He meets her during one of his stays at her lodgings in Margate, the town of inspiration for much of his greatest work.
    Throughout its 150 minutes, director Mike Leigh pays exquisite attention to detail and the look of the film is so precise that you can almost smell and feel the period. The costumes are beautiful renditions of the time but have an authentic lived in look, and the hair and make- up is also of a high standard. Only the music disappoints as it is far to glum and depressing. Admittedly the film is not a barrel of laughs, but there is enough occasional humour peppered within the screenplay to have afforded a less melancholic score from composer Gary Yershon.
  10. Jan 4, 2015
    Snort...........Moan........Snort.........Moan...........Snort...........Moan..............Snort..................Moan
    This is the dialogue from Mr. Turner
  11. Dec 23, 2014
    This movie is overall boring to watch because its way too long. This movie has nothing special to do around audiences. Overall, a waste of time and lack of acting.
  12. Dec 19, 2014
    I'll get right to the point, Mr. Turner is absolutely horrible. A movie that is painful to watch because of its unbearable length, extreme boredom, a main character that nobody will like and a story of utter trash. Mr. Turner is everything a movie shouldn't be. I hated literally every minute of this ridiculous 150 minute film.
  13. Dec 20, 2014
    Saw this a month or so ago when it came out in the UK (hint hint metacritic.) Not the sort of thing I would typically go an see, but was under a modicum of duress and had heard reports of it being very good. I was blown away within the first 10 minutes, the photography is stunning, the acting is phenomenal and my suspension of disbelief was absolute. A movie so good it doesn't need a plot.Saw this a month or so ago when it came out in the UK (hint hint metacritic.) Not the sort of thing I would typically go an see, but was under a modicum of duress and had heard reports of it being very good. I was blown away within the first 10 minutes, the photography is stunning, the acting is phenomenal and my suspension of disbelief was absolute. A movie so good it doesn't need a plot.

I did find it slightly over-long, but that probably had more to do with the cinema seats rather than what was happening on-screen.
  14. Feb 8, 2015
    Surely has to be one of the best films of the year with one of the best film performances of the year as well. Not a movie for someone who needs a Hollywood movie with a nonsensical story and name stars. The acting, the story, the cinematography, the sets and the settings are to die for. Mike Leigh has hit this one out of the park on every level. Can't believe how good it was.
  15. Dec 21, 2014
    Mike Leigh’s ‘beauty and the beast’ is meticulously detailed with a haunting score and breathtaking cinematography- whether billowing locomotive smoke or pastel sails at sunset. Mr. Spall’s brilliantly captures J.M.W. Turner - a self-described grotesque looking man emitting a cacophony of snorts and grunts between astute observations and animalistic sexual encounters. SupportingMike Leigh’s ‘beauty and the beast’ is meticulously detailed with a haunting score and breathtaking cinematography- whether billowing locomotive smoke or pastel sails at sunset. Mr. Spall’s brilliantly captures J.M.W. Turner - a self-described grotesque looking man emitting a cacophony of snorts and grunts between astute observations and animalistic sexual encounters. Supporting characters are forever etched in our memory. In contrast, an artist obsessed with capturing light lived a dark and dismal existence. In conclusion, the more enlightened we become the less we want to know him. Expand
  16. Dec 26, 2014
    A soundtrack lifted straight out of Looney Tunes couldn't have been more mismatched than this one. Were it not for far better film-making and the subject, this music would have stood alone as psychotic. Any attempts at compassion and sheer wonder were panned by a score that couldn't have been more insular and ridiculous. I still give the film an easy 8 out of a possible 10.
  17. Apr 5, 2015
    One of the worst "best" movie I ever watched, boring, long, weird English accent and fancy vocabularies that no one understands, even with subs I can hardly understand the movie.
  18. Feb 7, 2015
    This is one of the best films I have ever seen. Timothy Spall is outstanding in the role of Turner. The film reeks of authenticity and is beautifully paced reflecting the time in which it is set. It paints a picture of a real person, not some artificially spruced up polished character. Turner was by all accounts as Spall plays him, taciturn, gruff and direct. It is a reflection on theThis is one of the best films I have ever seen. Timothy Spall is outstanding in the role of Turner. The film reeks of authenticity and is beautifully paced reflecting the time in which it is set. It paints a picture of a real person, not some artificially spruced up polished character. Turner was by all accounts as Spall plays him, taciturn, gruff and direct. It is a reflection on the state of the Oscars that this performance has not been recognized as worthy of contention. A great film, a great director in Mike Leigh and a great actor in Spall my opinion. Expand
  19. Lyn
    Jun 16, 2015
    I think more insights about Turner's art and technique would have enriched this character study -- just think of how "Amadeus" embraced Mozart's wackiness and his juicy family & rivalry issues while also getting you deeply into his music. Timothy Spall grew more endearing, despite all his grunting and his guttural, at times hard to understand, British speech. All the female characters wereI think more insights about Turner's art and technique would have enriched this character study -- just think of how "Amadeus" embraced Mozart's wackiness and his juicy family & rivalry issues while also getting you deeply into his music. Timothy Spall grew more endearing, despite all his grunting and his guttural, at times hard to understand, British speech. All the female characters were incandescent, as was the stunning cinematography ... and the film sent me online to learn more about Turner the artist, so that's something! Expand
  20. Jul 20, 2015
    The most accurate review of this film might be one of Timothy Spall’s grunts. I like the film best when it depicts Turner’s work as an artist, when it mirrors the visionary landscapes of his painting, and when it surveys his relationships with the art and artists of his time. I’m less interested in his domestic arrangements, manners, and health. In fact, the whole “brute with a sublimeThe most accurate review of this film might be one of Timothy Spall’s grunts. I like the film best when it depicts Turner’s work as an artist, when it mirrors the visionary landscapes of his painting, and when it surveys his relationships with the art and artists of his time. I’m less interested in his domestic arrangements, manners, and health. In fact, the whole “brute with a sublime soul” business seems rather cheap and obvious, as most artists' lives look messy, sad, and coarse next to their art. I agree with reviewers who claim that the film is nearly an hour too long, though we probably wouldn’t agree on which scenes to cut. I think most viewers will concur, however, that “Mr. Turner” is not a film for small screens; if you can’t see it in a theater, then hold out for a large high-resolution video screen. I watched it on a tablet, which I regret. Expand
  21. Mar 19, 2015
    Although this biopic is about British painter J.M.W. Turner, it's more about his peculiar personality and unconventional life than his art. He spends lots of time observing nature and painting it, but he also visits important patrons, storms thru the Royal Academy and has time to sexually use one woman and fall for another. Timothy Spall gives a bravura performance in the title role,Although this biopic is about British painter J.M.W. Turner, it's more about his peculiar personality and unconventional life than his art. He spends lots of time observing nature and painting it, but he also visits important patrons, storms thru the Royal Academy and has time to sexually use one woman and fall for another. Timothy Spall gives a bravura performance in the title role, gruffly grunting his way thru all of his encounters. It's a fascinating portrait with plenty of eccentric supporting characters (as is common with director Mike Leigh). Cinematographer Dick Pope has infused every shot, including the lovely landscapes, with a soft palette and lustrous glow. At 150 minutes, I was rooting for him to die before it was over, but other than the extended length, the film presents a fascinating portrayal of an important artist. Expand
  22. Mar 11, 2015
    Mike Leigh’s newest endeavour is a two-and-a-half hours long biographic film about British painter J.M.W. Turner (1775-1851), a watercolour landscape painting maestro, the film chronically narrates the last quarter of Turner’s life, stars Leigh’s longtime teammate Timothy Spall in an once-in-a-blue-moon leading role which won him BEST ACTOR in Cannes last year.

Unequivocally this film

Unequivocally this film is second to none if it can be crowned as the most beautiful film of 2014, artistically enthralling thanks to the utterly breathtaking cinematography of DP Dick Pope, which concisely tallies with Turner’s own persistent study on light and colour, and viewers can get a peek of his relentless thirst from the magnet experiment conducted by Ms. Somerville (a brilliant cameo by Lesley Manville), or later his piqued interest of the daguerreotype technique, mocks every painter would take a camera with him; also his valour as a true artist, dares a face-to-face encounter with a rough tempest on the sea, just to observe its colour. And the most memorable one is when Leigh and Spall re-enact the action of Turner purposefully adding a wanton brush of red on his own work, instead of blemishing a masterpiece, he turns it into a wonder by his master stroke which stuns all his fellow artists in the academy.

keep reading my review on my blog, google: cinema omnivore, thanks
  23. Aug 6, 2016
    Oh my is Mr. Turner a slog to get through. Slow, dreadfully dull, and as precise as surgery, Mr. Turner is a film that is marvelously directed, acted, and shot, but sitting in the DMV has proved to be more engaging. This film's cinematography is other worldly and cinematographer Dick Pope has provided some of the best shots of the decade with his work here. Unfortunately, the film is skinOh my is Mr. Turner a slog to get through. Slow, dreadfully dull, and as precise as surgery, Mr. Turner is a film that is marvelously directed, acted, and shot, but sitting in the DMV has proved to be more engaging. This film's cinematography is other worldly and cinematographer Dick Pope has provided some of the best shots of the decade with his work here. Unfortunately, the film is skin deep. It is like a hot girl that thinks she is smart, but is actually really dumb and lacks personality. I rarely call a film pretentious, but I feel as though Mr. Turner fits the bill. Hollow and packed to the brim with self-importance, the appeal of Mr. Turner is wholly lost on me. It gets as high a rating as it does from me for a few reasons: the aforementioned cinematography (particularly the slow pans from characters to shots of scenery are brilliant), the costume design, and the production design. All of these leave the film being a visual masterpiece of the highest order. Yet, the story elements and character elements are all beyond lackluster and lacking any sort of depth. The writing here is quite poor and the film is overlong. It would have been well served to actually develop its characters and cut some of the runtime. As it stands, Mr. Turner is all beauty and no brains. Expand
  24. Jun 22, 2015
    Embodiment of a 'motion picture'.Embodiment of a 'motion picture'.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
  25. May 25, 2015
    I had the impression the whole movie played as a "mocumentary" about the life of Turner. It is basically nothing more than following Mr. Turner around while he interacts with friends and family. Not being a particularly likable character, I grew fed up with him quite quickly. In fact, I'd much rather admire his paintings without knowing anything about his obnoxiousness. Super-boring movie.
  26. Mar 10, 2015
    Timothy Spall crying in this movie is the funniest thing I've ever seen.
    Timothy Spall crying in this movie is the funniest thing I've ever seen.
    The story to Mr. Turner is about a British painter J.M.W. Turner (1775-1851). Profoundly affected by the death of his father, loved by a housekeeper he takes for granted and occasionally exploits sexually, he forms a close relationship with a seaside landlady with whom he eventually lives incognito in Chelsea, where he dies. Throughout this, he travels, paints, stays with the country aristocracy, visits brothels, is a popular if anarchic member of the Royal Academy of Arts, has himself strapped to the mast of a ship so that he can paint a snowstorm, and is both celebrated and reviled by the public and by royalty.
    Let me just start off by saying that this movie isn't for everyone, I mean some people are going to love the clear and breathtaking style of the movie and the story, but some people may think that this movie is boring or just flat out dull, which I fine with that because every has a opinion. When I finished watched this movie I didn't know what to think of it, until I though it through over night and all my thoughts for the movie came together, and my overall thought is... it's a okay movie.
    I have seen Timothy Spall in many roles in the best, but not like this one, because he doesn't just play a character, he played this role like if it was really him. I heard some Oscar buzz about his performance in this movie if he dose get nominated in this movie I will be very happy, but if he doesn't well the Oscars can go f**k itself.
    The directing in this movie is just the best example for young film markers out there to make a beautiful peace of art that glues you in to it's movie, and that's Mike Leigh for you.
    The Cinematography and the Art direction in this movie is so top notch and so beautiful to look at, that the movie takes a risk and allows the cinematography to stink it's teeth into the atmosphere and let the beautiful ways of life to over the screen and to me that's art.
    The movie at times can be boring and pretty slow. If I was the editor for this movie I would have edited some parts out, where nothing really happens or character's doing and being really uninteresting things, and that's my other problem with the film it's character's. I never found them interesting at all they kind of dragged the movie down for me.
    Mr. Turner isn't a movie that you put on to have a good time with your drunk friends on a Saturday night, no this is a movie for people who only look for story, acting and peaceful shots of the world, and this movie is like a love letter to those kind of people.
  27. May 24, 2015
    Mike Leigh have delivered some great movies during his career, and some not so great. I'm afraid this fall into the latter category. Sure, great acting, marvelous scenery and from what I have read, a big dose of authenticity. Timothy Spall is excellent in the leading part. So are many other colorful characters, Dorothy Atkinson as Hannah for instance. Brilliant! She alone moves this from aMike Leigh have delivered some great movies during his career, and some not so great. I'm afraid this fall into the latter category. Sure, great acting, marvelous scenery and from what I have read, a big dose of authenticity. Timothy Spall is excellent in the leading part. So are many other colorful characters, Dorothy Atkinson as Hannah for instance. Brilliant! She alone moves this from a 5 to a 6.

If only they could have cut away one hour, this would have been an amazing piece you'd remember and cherish. There are so many scenes that didn't really add to the story telling. So many that I can't even recall them all. It didn't give more depth and layers to its narrative. They were just meh on repeat. All the grunting and snorting from Turner - which would make Karl Childers in Sling Blade... grunt in awe - gets a bit tiresome after two and a half weeks. Sorry, hours. To paraphrase from the movie; Mr. Turner, you are exceedingly tiresome.
  28. Jun 18, 2015
    This is the type of film where pretentious movie critics have to bend over backwards to convince you that it isn't the most boring movie on the planet.
  29. Oct 3, 2015
    Excellent film. The cinematography is beautiful, gorgeous and the actors--playing a basket-full of oddballs and eccentrics--are all terrific. Timothy Spall in particular, playing Turner, should have been nominated for an Academy Award. He portrays Turner as affable, engaging, respectful and a little arrogant when in the company of his equals. In the company of his perceived lessers,Excellent film. The cinematography is beautiful, gorgeous and the actors--playing a basket-full of oddballs and eccentrics--are all terrific. Timothy Spall in particular, playing Turner, should have been nominated for an Academy Award. He portrays Turner as affable, engaging, respectful and a little arrogant when in the company of his equals. In the company of his perceived lessers, however, he is dyspeptic, inpatient and tends to communicate in snorts and grunts. His sexual desires are a mystery to him and he is awkward with women. Director Leigh also throws in some humorous jabs at the pompous behaviors and trifling concerns of the upper classes. I think it his his best work. As with all Mike Leigh films, some of the dialogue is a little hard to understand owing to the thick British accents. This a minor problem in an otherwise superb film. Expand
  30. Oct 15, 2015
    Beautifully shot and acted, it's one of Leigh's more enjoyable and accessible recent films, one that will appeal to more than the arthouse crowd normally drawn to his films.

Watch this movie online http://www.watchfree.to/watch-2a08eb-Mr-Turner-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  31. Oct 20, 2015
    It's a good biographical movie, beautiful cinematography and Timothy Spall's talent shines in this role.

Watch it here for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-2754795-Mr-Turner-online-free
  32. Feb 25, 2016
    I'll cut right to the chase. Mr. Turner is outrageously and righteously fun to watch... making the other Turners look completely underrated. Don't trust the users here. They look so incredibly weak when reviewing this movie.

1. Reviewed by: Jeff Baker
    Jul 14, 2015
    A movie as bold and deep as a Turner landscape, as sharp as light on water.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Mar 6, 2015
    In the end, Mr. Turner ends up being the best kind of period drama. That is, it is a transportive one, whisking audiences away to a distinct time and place, while also providing no small amount of insight about its subject.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Mar 1, 2015
    Relaxed editing and well-researched set and costumes give us a firm feeling of the period, and Dick Pope (who has worked with Leigh 10 times) excels. It’s a cliche to say a cinematographer does painterly work, but Pope suffuses the screen with light in the way Turner did his canvases.