7.4

1. Dec 19, 2014
    I'll get right to the point, Mr. Turner is absolutely horrible. A movie that is painful to watch because of its unbearable length, extreme boredom, a main character that nobody will like and a story of utter trash. Mr. Turner is everything a movie shouldn't be. I hated literally every minute of this ridiculous 150 minute film.
  2. Dec 19, 2014
    Opening inauspiciously, Mr. Turner threatens to give credence to the phrase ‘worthy but dull’. As the film goes on, though, it slowly draws you in to the richness of its characters and period. Leisurely paced, beautifully designed and, as with all Mike Leigh’s best films, elevated by some wonderful performances from many of his regular collaborators. Timothy Spall plays the famed painterOpening inauspiciously, Mr. Turner threatens to give credence to the phrase ‘worthy but dull’. As the film goes on, though, it slowly draws you in to the richness of its characters and period. Leisurely paced, beautifully designed and, as with all Mike Leigh’s best films, elevated by some wonderful performances from many of his regular collaborators. Timothy Spall plays the famed painter in the last years of his life as an unsympathetic crude man and is totally believable grunting and scowling his way through the film. Nevertheless, he is all but eclipsed by two women in the cast. Dorothy Atkinson is outstanding as his doting housekeeper, and Marion Bailey is equally fine as the woman who became his last mistress. He meets her during one of his stays at her lodgings in Margate, the town of inspiration for much of his greatest work.
    Throughout its 150 minutes, director Mike Leigh pays exquisite attention to detail and the look of the film is so precise that you can almost smell and feel the period. The costumes are beautiful renditions of the time but have an authentic lived in look, and the hair and make- up is also of a high standard. Only the music disappoints as it is far to glum and depressing. Admittedly the film is not a barrel of laughs, but there is enough occasional humour peppered within the screenplay to have afforded a less melancholic score from composer Gary Yershon.
  3. Dec 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was going into this film expecting a masterpiece of a film, seeing that all the critics were praising this film like it was the second coming of Christ, however, it was just an okay film. I really enjoyed the scenery and the recreation of the time period and the acting, if somewhat hammy in parts( most people in the audience laughed at Turners breakdown in the brothel), was good. A lot of creaitivity was put into this and I really appreciate the effort made. That being said I found this film rather mundane in parts and the narrative jagged, it comes across as segments of him acting rather unsavoury and I didn't think the film really explored what made Mr Turner tick or any clarity for the audience to empathizes with him. Its like you almost see snippets of humanity in him but then its just dropped in the next instance. Also I found the music rather dull and gloomy and really undermines the tone of the film which seems to transmute between misplaced whimsy and someone walking to a bridge to jump off from. We didn't see what inspires him to create these works of art and it didn't need some worldly explanation but I would've liked a reason, no matter how off handed. I did enjoy seeing Mr Turner work on his paintings, even though it was rather constraint and never truly emphasised and major credit should go to actor Timothy Spall who learnt to paint for 2 years to prepare for this role. If your an art enthusiasts like myself you would like this and get some enjoyment in it but if you're expecting something on the lines of an epic drama then steer clear, some of the negative reviews on here have a point and shouldn't be overlooked. Expand
  4. Dec 20, 2014
    Saw this a month or so ago when it came out in the UK (hint hint metacritic.) Not the sort of thing I would typically go an see, but was under a modicum of duress and had heard reports of it being very good. I was blown away within the first 10 minutes, the photography is stunning, the acting is phenomenal and my suspension of disbelief was absolute. A movie so good it doesn't need a plot.Saw this a month or so ago when it came out in the UK (hint hint metacritic.) Not the sort of thing I would typically go an see, but was under a modicum of duress and had heard reports of it being very good. I was blown away within the first 10 minutes, the photography is stunning, the acting is phenomenal and my suspension of disbelief was absolute. A movie so good it doesn't need a plot.

I did find it slightly over-long, but that probably had more to do with the cinema seats rather than what was happening on-screen.
  5. Dec 21, 2014
    Mike Leigh’s ‘beauty and the beast’ is meticulously detailed with a haunting score and breathtaking cinematography- whether billowing locomotive smoke or pastel sails at sunset. Mr. Spall’s brilliantly captures J.M.W. Turner - a self-described grotesque looking man emitting a cacophony of snorts and grunts between astute observations and animalistic sexual encounters. SupportingMike Leigh’s ‘beauty and the beast’ is meticulously detailed with a haunting score and breathtaking cinematography- whether billowing locomotive smoke or pastel sails at sunset. Mr. Spall’s brilliantly captures J.M.W. Turner - a self-described grotesque looking man emitting a cacophony of snorts and grunts between astute observations and animalistic sexual encounters. Supporting characters are forever etched in our memory. In contrast, an artist obsessed with capturing light lived a dark and dismal existence. In conclusion, the more enlightened we become the less we want to know him. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Dec 22, 2014
    Filmmaker Mike Leigh's biography of the landscape painter J.M.W. Turner is what critics call "austere" — which means it's slow and grim and deliberately hard to love — yet it's fascinating, and the performances and photography are outstanding.
  2. Reviewed by: Michael Phillips
    Dec 22, 2014
    Leigh's film — one of the year's best — honors its subject in all his tetchy ambiguity.
  3. Reviewed by: Bob Mondello
    Dec 22, 2014
    Turner's painting of the scene, The Fighting Temeraire will, in fact, become his masterpiece. As Mr. Turner is Mike Leigh's — a growling, snuffling, earthy work of art, every frame worthy of framing.