Universal Pictures | Release Date: October 12, 2001
6.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 432 Ratings
WATCH NOW
inkblowoutFeb 26, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My first movie review on metacritc and I've decided to do a movie which didn't impress me at all. Watching movies like Primer, Momento, Triangle, and Pulp Fiction I was recommended by a friend to watch this movie. So I did watch it, and I had high expectations for it because everyone was praising this movie as a masterpiece so my standard for this movie was 9/10.

So after watching this movie (with an open mind and watching all the details.) I thought to myself. "what the hell did I just watch?" The movie was so weird after the 1 hour and 55 minute mark that it was confusing but in a terrible way. Scenes didn't make sense, transitions were awful and abrupt that I couldn't tell what if it was a "flashback" or if it was real life. The movie asked more questions then rather just answered them. If David Lynch could have executed these scenes a lot better instead of adding nonsense scenes in the first part of the film this movie could have been a lot better. And it seems that David Lynch has never had a dream before because half the time Rita was focused in the first 80% of the film. And since it's Diane's dream... wouldn't the dream be in Diane/Betty's prospective because it's her dream and not Rita's?

The problem with this movie is that it couldn't make it's point clear like the other movies I have watched, (momento, triangle, primer all had moral elements that were clear to the audience.) This movie relied on too many symbols and elements that can only be caught in a 3rd time viewing this movie. But Naomi's Acting was amazing and I found the "dream's plot" somewhat interesting but after Rita looked in the Blue Box... all hell went loose and that's why this movie deserves a 5/10. I would recommend if you are a David Lynch fan but if you are looking for a causal mind twisting movie.. then skip it.
csw12Jan 20, 2013
David Lynch does and outstanding directing job in the complex thriller and mystery. Like the movie the acting gets better as the movie moves along. The problem is the movie is so complicated you don't really grasp the last 20 minutes becauseDavid Lynch does and outstanding directing job in the complex thriller and mystery. Like the movie the acting gets better as the movie moves along. The problem is the movie is so complicated you don't really grasp the last 20 minutes because nothing really makes sense. Expand
ApolscDec 30, 2014
This movie is boring. This is one of those movies that put the enlightened critics against the regular people, i couldnt stand it. You can accuse me of ignorant of whatever, ill say that some of my favourite movies are for example aronofsky sThis movie is boring. This is one of those movies that put the enlightened critics against the regular people, i couldnt stand it. You can accuse me of ignorant of whatever, ill say that some of my favourite movies are for example aronofsky s requiem & the fountain, even when they are crazy and they repeat scenes they got sense, a story and they are not showing images and saying "if you dont understand this you are ignorant".

Una peli aburrida. De esas que enfrentan a los críticos con la gente. Me pareció insoportable. Me podrán decir ignorante, pero algunas de mis peliculas favoritas son Requiem y la Fuente de Aronofsky, que a pesar de ser películas bastante peculiares tienen sentido, no se dedican a mostrarte imagenes para luego generar esta sensación de cine "solo para entendidos".
JordanPApr 16, 2011
If having to listen to someone tell you about a dream they had is the cliche that represents all boring conversations, I'm not sure why this movie receives acclaim. There certainly is some artistry involved in provoking an emotional responseIf having to listen to someone tell you about a dream they had is the cliche that represents all boring conversations, I'm not sure why this movie receives acclaim. There certainly is some artistry involved in provoking an emotional response in his audience, and it does feel like being trapped in a dream, but as a loose sequence of non-linear mood-scapes, it feels like you're watching the film equivalent of lazy abstract paintings that you're sure were painted by a cat. I found that it angered and bored me simultaneously. And dreams aren't supposed to go on that long. Expand
HotelCentralApr 13, 2016
Maybe it's art. Maybe it's symbols. Maybe it's all metaphors. I give the film a five because -- who knows? -- maybe I'm just too dense to grasp the hidden meanings. I watched about half an hour and thought the characters less thanMaybe it's art. Maybe it's symbols. Maybe it's all metaphors. I give the film a five because -- who knows? -- maybe I'm just too dense to grasp the hidden meanings. I watched about half an hour and thought the characters less than believable and frankly just a bit silly. And when I start rolling my eyes I'm done.

I mean, Goodfellas was believable. LA Confidential was believable. Mulholland Dr., to my peasant sensibilities, seems like schlock.