Lionsgate | Release Date: January 16, 2009
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 127 Ratings
WATCH NOW
ChadS.Jan 17, 2009
"My Bloody Valentine" sounds more like the name of a shoegazing band from Dublin that it ever did as a slasher film set in a dour coal mining town. After 1991's "Loveless", the Kevin Shields-led band was never heard from again. Too bad "My Bloody Valentine" sounds more like the name of a shoegazing band from Dublin that it ever did as a slasher film set in a dour coal mining town. After 1991's "Loveless", the Kevin Shields-led band was never heard from again. Too bad the same couldn't be said about Harry Warden, the poor man's Jason, and the poor, poor man's Michael Myers. This "Friday the 13th"-knockoff, released ten years before songs such as "I Only Said" and especially, the heavy shoe-metal of "To Here Knows When" helped steal the name from its source, returns, and tries in vain to steal it back, with the novelty of 3D effects. Nice try. Although "My Bloody Valentine 3D" slavishly abides by the genre requirements of a slasher pic(down to "the final girl"), this remake, to my surprise, has pizazz(the 3D effects have come a long way from its "Jaws 3D" growing pains), and even some smarts(independent of the narrative). Prior to Ben Foley(Kevin Tighe) getting the pickaxe, the antagonist from John Sayles' "Coalminers from Another Planet"(in other words, "Matewan") shines his flashlight directly at the audience. He breaks the fourth wall; he encapsulates the animus behind Michael Haneke's "Funny Games"(both the Belgian original and American shot-by-shot remake) with this throwaway gesture. Scorned and misunderstood by a legion of moviegoers, "Funny Games" left many people feeling dirty, because the filmmaker made them complicit to the violence. Despite its populist pedigree, the three-dimensional diegesis is a much more effective tool than Haneke's use of deconstruction, as the filmic world now replicates, more or less, the real world situated in your theater. Phantasmagorically speaking, both sides of the divide are a seamless whole; the movie people resembles us more than ever. If things can escape from the screen, theoretically, things can enter the same way it came out, as well. But we're only voyeurs; we sit and do nothing. Being the confrontational artist that he is, Haneke implicates his audience for its passivity, in a terribly gruesome scene, where the gore of a child splatters all over a television set. "My Bloody Valentine 3D" goes one step further, the gore lands in our laps; the gore in our laps is a stigmata of our own unacknowledged thirst for blood. Collapse
0 of 0 users found this helpful
JayHMay 17, 2009
Very predictable, and the 3-D is unimpressive, but it has some good scares, the performances aren't bad and the score works. The rapid pacing is a plus.
0 of 0 users found this helpful
TheQuietGamerJan 16, 2014
Exactly what you would expect from a slasher film. The focus here is on bloody kills rather than creating a scary experience. There might be some tension here just because you never know when the killer is about to show up or who he is aboutExactly what you would expect from a slasher film. The focus here is on bloody kills rather than creating a scary experience. There might be some tension here just because you never know when the killer is about to show up or who he is about to kill, and the jump scares might even give you a slight jolt, but horror fanatics looking for any sort of terror are better off looking elsewhere. That being said "My Bloody Valentine" manages to be a serviceably good time by being good at what it does.

The kills here are incredibly bloody and the plot actually is pretty good. I found myself incredibly curious to find out exactly who is behind the grizzly murders, and I was surprised to find out that a lot characters are more than just faceless caricatures whose sole purpose in the film is to die in some incredibly brutal way. The acting is a little off, there are some unintentionally goofy moments throughout, and characters make moronic decisions that no real person would make in their situation, but there's enough here to make for a mildly entertaining watch. This kind of movie will definitely satisfy the teenage date crowd.

Overall I found the movie to be entertaining on an incredibly basic level. It may lack suspense or any sense of fear, but it's just nice to sit back and watch some not so brainless slaughter. Still at the end of the day I do want more from my horror movies, like for instance actual horror. It's entertaining, just don't expect this to be one you come back to for another watch.
Kyle39Sep 9, 2012
Average remake of the excellent 1981 original slasher film. The kills are creative, and the change in the identity of the killer is a great addition. Otherwise, exploitation alley. The 3-D effects are stunning!
RikiegeJan 31, 2013
It is the perfect movie for the couple, but if you do not see with your girlfriend / boyfriend has bored you go.
StrangerinaJul 1, 2014
A decently suspenseful slasher with a decent twist. Definitely one of the few superior slasher remakes of the 21st century. Although, its twist ending does create a lot of plotholes and it comes off as very convoluted if you think a littleA decently suspenseful slasher with a decent twist. Definitely one of the few superior slasher remakes of the 21st century. Although, its twist ending does create a lot of plotholes and it comes off as very convoluted if you think a little harder about it.

The main characters aren't completely unlikable or bland, imagine that, they aren't just cannonfodder for the slasher. Although, they still come off as very everyday people, and there are no real unique features to them.

The excessive gore isn't really much of a problem for me, since the original was one of the more gory slashers of its time. But sometimes less is more, and this becomes very apparent in the style of the psychological horror that this movie tries to convey, in comparison to the original. The 3D is silly as always, and should have been left out completely.

The original was much more subtle in its portrayal of the killer. Sure, he was insane, but they played it off rather smoothly and the movie wasn't too much in your face about it. Contrast that to the remake, which constantly needs to remind the audience of the killers motives, and it comes off as an insult to our intelligence.

Psychological horror traded for decently thrilling jumpscares. I can't say I like the trade, but this was a better experience for me than most of the slasher remakes I've watched.