5.5

1. Sep 2, 2012
    If it weren't for Uma this might have been a horrible movie, but she was just great. In fact, the entire cast was great. The movie was just kind of decent. Nothing great, but still good enough to enjoy.
  2. Sep 2, 2013
    It has its charms aplenty, and a cast that works to surprising efficiency, but the humor is only sporadically funny and the script is too conventional to add any real spark to the film.
  3. Jun 18, 2014
    Wow, these filmmakers really know how to punch us in the face, don't they? This movie offers you absolutely nothing, boasting a solid cast and a terrible, terrible script that possesses lame jokes that are more depressing than funny.
  4. Oct 27, 2014
    My Super Ex-Girlfriend: 7 out of 10: Director Ivan Reitman hasn't had a great film since Ghostbusters. In fact for such a big name in Hollywood he has had only two great films (Ghostbusters and Stripes both over twenty years ago), one decent film (Dave), some quite mediocre films (Legal Eagle, Six Days Seven Nights, Junior, Kindergarten Cop, and Evolution) and some very serious flops(Fathers Day, Ghostbusters 2).

So needless to say with that track record I expected a high concept comedy such as My Super Ex-Girlfriend to be mediocre at best. Instead it hung in tight at decent.

The film had two personal aces in its corner with me. I like Uma Thurman and I just saw Superman Returns.

The fact I had recently sat through two and a half hours of Superman stalking Lois Lane admittedly greatly added to the humor of this film. The main character actually seems to enjoy her super powers and this movie ironically is one of the more realistic demonstrations of how a mortal given superpowers would act. (Compare to the whining Jessica Alba lays on in Fantastic Four or the angst the X-men feel about not fitting in. If I could fly and shoot fireballs I assure you I would fit in. Hell I would be the center of bloody attention.)

Some superheroes are designed to be dour types (Batman and the Punisher come to mind) but most come across like whining athletes. Thurman is clearly enjoying herself. Uma Thurman fits the role to a tee. In fact all the actors do a great job with special kudos to Anna Faris as the other woman.

Sure some of the gags are juvenile and the movie really could have used an R-rating but when I get to see a super heroine throw a great white shark into the apartment of her rival I feel nothing but pure joy.

It certainly beats some male model in a superman cape moping out side of Lois's house spying with his x-ray vision pretending to be Jesus.

A one-joke movie if ever there was, but the joke happens to be a good one -- a Tracy-and-Hepburn-style battle of the sexes in which Kate can fly and blast through walls -- and director Ivan Reitman (who made Ghostbusters) feels at home with the mix of screwball and supernatural.
  2. Reviewed by: Michael Phillips
    You'd have to go back to "My Stepmother Is an Alien" to find a male fantasy/nightmare this off-putting.
  3. The two starring performances are spot on. Wilson gets the tone that screenwriter Don Payne so expertly evokes: It's a weird sort of self-aware despicability...Thurman is beautiful, fearless and perfectly believable as a superhero.