Napoleon Dynamite

7.9

1. Jul 9, 2015
    Lots of people love it, lots of people hate it. Both sides are acting like children, I thought the movie was okay. It''s calmness and laid back attitude is refreshing. Just watching a dork try and live his life is pretty funny.

Though the movie is comprised of awkward humor, and not very many real jokes, the only other humorous moments come from how the actors deliver their lines. But with that, the moments that are funny, are pretty funny.
  2. Jun 2, 2015
    While its difficult to know what to make of Napoleon Dynamite, I’m pretty sure I liked it. The film takes the familiarity of high school and makes it strange and abnormal through three strange/unique characters whose experiences prevent these moments from feeling cliché. I’m glad I saw this film while I’m still in my teens because I feel like this film does capture the awkwardness of thoseWhile its difficult to know what to make of Napoleon Dynamite, I’m pretty sure I liked it. The film takes the familiarity of high school and makes it strange and abnormal through three strange/unique characters whose experiences prevent these moments from feeling cliché. I’m glad I saw this film while I’m still in my teens because I feel like this film does capture the awkwardness of those years quite nicely. I’d probably have to see this film a couple more times to really be able to understand/express what it is I liked and didn’t like about it but I definatetly won’t forget about it. With characters so bizarre and some unnatural dialogue this is one of the more unique films I’ve seen. Expand
  3. May 29, 2015
    I watched this movie again to reevaluate it and I did enjoy it more this time around. There are a decent amount of funny moments here, and it undoubtedly stands out from the high-school comedy crowd. That's not the same as saying that it's a great comedy. There are some sections that are truly boring and a lot of the jokes fall flat. It's most successful moments occur fairly early onI watched this movie again to reevaluate it and I did enjoy it more this time around. There are a decent amount of funny moments here, and it undoubtedly stands out from the high-school comedy crowd. That's not the same as saying that it's a great comedy. There are some sections that are truly boring and a lot of the jokes fall flat. It's most successful moments occur fairly early on as well. But its quirkiness, strange lead character, and free roaming structure make it entertaining and memorable, and that's a lot more than you can usually say about teen centered comedies. Expand
  4. Mar 30, 2015
    Napoleon Dynamite is a weird movie where everyone seems to be stoned or drunk all the time. It has a kitsch, unique appeal to it though. Despite that, though, I can't quite understand how this movie became such a runaway success.
  5. Nov 30, 2014
    It has some moments of oddball charm, but I find this film satirizing itself most of time. It is a parody, I just don't know what. Of awkwardness? Well, it does succeed in making me feel awkward. Not in the smart way, though. It shows how plain dumb awkward moments can be, without a hint of reason why. No good acting, incredibly far fetched idea ( if that was the point, maybe you shouldn'tIt has some moments of oddball charm, but I find this film satirizing itself most of time. It is a parody, I just don't know what. Of awkwardness? Well, it does succeed in making me feel awkward. Not in the smart way, though. It shows how plain dumb awkward moments can be, without a hint of reason why. No good acting, incredibly far fetched idea ( if that was the point, maybe you shouldn't make films), and too low of budget values. This is an indie rock, not a gem. Expand
  6. Sep 8, 2014
    I usually love the love-it-or-hate-it "cult" classic movies, but I guess I must proclaim now that whatever messiah started this cult is a fake. I went in with such high expectations. I remember in the fourth grade people talking about it. For my whole life, I was led to believe joining this cult would lead to my perpetual comedic salvation. By having observed the doctrine, I can sayI usually love the love-it-or-hate-it "cult" classic movies, but I guess I must proclaim now that whatever messiah started this cult is a fake. I went in with such high expectations. I remember in the fourth grade people talking about it. For my whole life, I was led to believe joining this cult would lead to my perpetual comedic salvation. By having observed the doctrine, I can say firmly that these profits have deceived me repeatedly about this "holy relic." I admit, I laughed... around the start, because I was so ready for the humor to begin I was forcing myself to get ready by laughing at the semi-comedic **** thrown around for the first quarter of the movie. Then I realized that the **** turned into llama **** or whatever the **** his pet was (a goat, maybe?) and got smeared over the entire last three-quarters of this "cult classic." The movie has no point–no real discernible, meaningful conflict that develops throughout the film. It is impossible to connect with any of the characters, and if you actually can, I pity you. The best part about this film is the store of chuckleworthy references to make so I can leave the sheep who still subscribe to the faulty cult busting their guts on the floor (though they might be better suited to bust their brains). But for the references alone I give it 2 point, and for the soft laughs I forced myself to make, I add a point. And for the fact it is a full length movie, another point is due. For the terrible cuts between scenes, I subtract a point. Nothing else merits me adding points. That's a grand total of 2 + 1 + 1 -1 = 3. Okay, I think I've thoroughly refuted the idea that this "cult" really has a prophet worthy of followers. Now where can I review the bible? Expand
  7. Jul 22, 2014
    While 'Napoleon Dynamite' is undoubtedly amusing, the lack of a strong storyline reduces it's characters into quotable caricatures with a distinct lack of depth.
  8. Feb 14, 2014
    Napoleon Dynamite is a funny film. But is meant to target a specific audience. It has dislikes, I'm sure of it but for a first feature by Jared Hess I'd have to say this is decent. No, not decent but funny.
  9. Dec 27, 2013
    I think it describes perfectly what means being weird or different in highscool and because of that a lot of people have liked and felt identified with the movie and the characters. Napoleon Dynamite is definitely a cult film
  10. Dec 21, 2013
    This is my favorite movie, ever since I was young. I've always appreciated independent film, since the filmmakers have a very adventurous and free spirit. Napoleon dynamite is a wonderful attribution to genre, that has been a slump for a long time now. Jon Heder gives a revolutionary performance as the socially awkward Napoleon, with his overtly exaggerated but very comical mannerisms.This is my favorite movie, ever since I was young. I've always appreciated independent film, since the filmmakers have a very adventurous and free spirit. Napoleon dynamite is a wonderful attribution to genre, that has been a slump for a long time now. Jon Heder gives a revolutionary performance as the socially awkward Napoleon, with his overtly exaggerated but very comical mannerisms. Perfectly acted and scripted and also appropriate for the whole family for a rainy day or movie night. An excellent 'underdog' flick Expand
  11. Nov 26, 2013
    The movie is less comical and more of an awkward mess. Quite, possibly one of the worst movies I have seen, in over twenty years and definitely the worst comedy. No idea how this gained a score of anything over 3, the movie is simply... BAD!!!
  12. Nov 23, 2013
    The nerdy Napoleon Dynamite and a bunch of other freaky characters, a lot of awkwardly stupid situations happening, the overall bizarreness of situations make this movie at least look unusual.
  13. Sep 15, 2013
    This movie takes gross, kiddie-gloved movies to a whole new level. It was boring, and it was not funny at all. The censoring of curses by saying dang and gosh was annoying. either say the word, or don't say it at all. This was a kiddie PG flick not worth your time.
  14. Aug 23, 2013
    One of the stupidest movies I have ever seen. What an asinine waste of time. Even ten years after seeing it in theatres I look back on the film with hatred.
  15. Jul 20, 2013
    This film is awesome in every aspect. First chance you get, WATCH IT! It will most likely leave the answering the question "Will You ever watch it again?" Saying "HECK YES I WOULD!"
  16. Jun 22, 2013
    A cult classic. So many funny parts and re-memorable lines. I don't know who the hell came up with this movie, but it just worked well. What I like even better, is how there hasn't been a sequel
  17. Apr 7, 2013
    One of the best comedies ever made. Up there with Step Brothers, Austin Powers in Goldmember, and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. Every little reaction that the characters make are memorable. There is a sweet, honest touch to the movie that most films recently have lacked. The humor mostly pokes fun at the nerdiness of high school, and it is perfectly relatable. The Napoleon danceOne of the best comedies ever made. Up there with Step Brothers, Austin Powers in Goldmember, and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. Every little reaction that the characters make are memorable. There is a sweet, honest touch to the movie that most films recently have lacked. The humor mostly pokes fun at the nerdiness of high school, and it is perfectly relatable. The Napoleon dance scene alone is what makes it worth watching. Expand
  18. Mar 24, 2013
    This movie is not a comedy. One wold assume for a movie to be classified as a comedy it would have to generate at least ONE laugh throughout it's entire boredom. If you did laugh at this you must have been using some illegal substance to change your environment into an all humor universe! Get into reality and find actual comedic movies. Try Mel Brooks, Woodie Allen, Cohen Brothers etc, etc...
  19. Jan 22, 2013
    Absolutely hilarious and original. Definitely a hit or miss comedy, and this one was a hit for me big time. Remains one of my favorite comedies alongside Dumb & Dumber.
  20. Nov 28, 2012
    Relentlessly hilarious, with uncommonly unique characters dishing out pithy, yet unforgettable one-liners.
  21. Nov 16, 2012
    Fabulous film, good humor, quite the movie. 10 out of 10.
    How could anyone not love this wonderful movie.
    Watch this movie, you will not regret this. :)
  22. Nov 11, 2012
    If the quality of a comedy is based on the quantity of laughter involved after the punch lines then this movie should rate LESS than ZERO... Simply because almost every comedy produced on earth results in at least ONE laugh, ergo Napoleon Dynamite needs to be rated as the worst comedy in history!!! No laughs and script gaffs should be cut in halfs !!!
  23. Jul 5, 2012
    This is one of the quirkest movies I have seen. Matter of fact, first time I didn't like it, but grew on me. If you like offbeat humor and unusual characters/circumstances-this is for you. I can't imagine another character playing napolean! But most people either really like this movie or HATE it.
  24. Mar 31, 2012
    Napoleon Dynamite is a classic film in my view. It has some of the funniest lines and scenes i have ever seen in a movie. I thought Jon Heder was fantastic. An extremely simple film but funnier than 90% of the comedies today.
  25. Jan 21, 2012
    This is an incredible and very unique movie, and i found it hilarious. For the most part it lacks music and a plot, making it a perfect slice of teenaged life in the Midwest. unfortunately it gave rise to a number of movies with a similar comedic style, like Nacho Libre, and most of these movies were not nearly as funny
  26. Nov 24, 2011
    Its original and it is a little funny but really the entire film is just so stupid that I simply can not stand it. I dont understand how people find this film any good.
  27. Oct 6, 2011
    I found this film entertaining, though as a comedy, itâ
  28. Sep 24, 2011
    The movie's decent, that's all.
  29. Aug 10, 2011
    Just a terrible movie.To say that it's deliberately stupid is an understatement.The characters are incomprehensibly asinine and incredibly boring.There isn't one believable moment in the whole movie.The whole experience was shockingly mind-numbing and the movie, painfully unfunny.Usually I tend to enjoy movies about eccentrics and/or social outsiders but this was horrible.It just bored meJust a terrible movie.To say that it's deliberately stupid is an understatement.The characters are incomprehensibly asinine and incredibly boring.There isn't one believable moment in the whole movie.The whole experience was shockingly mind-numbing and the movie, painfully unfunny.Usually I tend to enjoy movies about eccentrics and/or social outsiders but this was horrible.It just bored me terribly and didn't make me laugh whatsoever.I hated it!â Expand
  30. Jul 5, 2011
    It is simple, if u do not give this movie a 10 then you don't get it. This movie was not designed for all you intellectual "genius" movie reviewers to beat up on and rant on how you "just didn't think it was funny." This movie isn't supposed to make your head numb, it is just a silly funny movie that, when you don't think too hard, is a classic.
  31. Jun 12, 2011
    One of the funniest movies I've ever seen, it really captures the average socially awkward teen and dysfunctional family perfectly, I loved every character and every moment of this hilarious movie, while some say some of the scenes are useless I disagree, I felt they were all necessary in defining the characters, if you like comedies or just good movies, this is a must see, this is aOne of the funniest movies I've ever seen, it really captures the average socially awkward teen and dysfunctional family perfectly, I loved every character and every moment of this hilarious movie, while some say some of the scenes are useless I disagree, I felt they were all necessary in defining the characters, if you like comedies or just good movies, this is a must see, this is a masterpiece that is deserving of nothing less that a perfect 10. Expand
  32. May 23, 2011
    Realism for the geeks and nerds, Napoleon Dynamite is a very fascinating movie centered on a town of misfits. You'll find it surprisingly rich and inspirational while figuring out what it really means.
  33. Mar 2, 2011
    High school teenage issues in a backwards town where everyone dresses as if they are in the 80's, a little behind the times. Phones with long cords, moon boots, 80's hair styles and Tupperware RULE! Napoleon is the sweetest and clueless of them all. It was created, written, produced and acted by college/college graduates and unknowns, won awards, was made on a shoestring and made lotsHigh school teenage issues in a backwards town where everyone dresses as if they are in the 80's, a little behind the times. Phones with long cords, moon boots, 80's hair styles and Tupperware RULE! Napoleon is the sweetest and clueless of them all. It was created, written, produced and acted by college/college graduates and unknowns, won awards, was made on a shoestring and made lots of money. Expand
  34. Jan 8, 2011
    Napoleon Dynamite is definitely not my kind of comedy. As Roger Ebert called it "studied stupidity," the film just shows how stupid one is. Or awkward. Or both, really. Which, not being American, does not resonate with me at all. Yes, maybe many Americans feel that way about themselves, but god - this was just a horrible film! It is one of those films that does not really have a point toNapoleon Dynamite is definitely not my kind of comedy. As Roger Ebert called it "studied stupidity," the film just shows how stupid one is. Or awkward. Or both, really. Which, not being American, does not resonate with me at all. Yes, maybe many Americans feel that way about themselves, but god - this was just a horrible film! It is one of those films that does not really have a point to itself, I feel. Maybe it does, but the entire experience totally goes passed me. I could not even finish it all the way, quite frankly. I could feel my IQ fall with every minute... Definitely would avoid this by all means. Expand
  35. Sep 20, 2010
    I tried to understand why ANYONE would find this movie entertaining. One thing I noticed in reading the positive reviews was that most of them have numerous misspellings and grammatical errors ( as would be in the lower intellect segment of society). Hence the good reviews.
  36. Sep 12, 2010
    O.M.G are you crazy, have you gonme round the bend?

64!!

This is an epic film atleast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is so epic that when i walk into the shop to buy it they said " Excuse me sir but are epic enough to buy this conveniently incredibly epic film?

EPIC!!!
  37. Aug 22, 2010
    Brilliant. Perfect. An instant classic cult film. Hilarious. I flippin love this movie. It's genius and all the haters just don't know how to laugh or see creativity.
  38. AndrewB
    Sep 9, 2009
    How can you not like this movie? Its absolutely perfect. the absence of celebrities just makes it seem more like a documentary then the absolute comedic masterpiece that it really is.
  39. Nathan
    Jul 13, 2009
    This was absolutely one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I paid money to rent it and turned it off after 25 minutes. In that time I didn't even crack a smile. I guess I am too old for this or something.
  40. AndyM.
    Jun 27, 2009
    This is movie is incredibly peculiar. It has this bleak and depressing tone, yet it still manages to be heartwarming, uplifting, and comedic. It doesn't hit you over the head with gags, as some people might have expected when they first saw it in theaters. Rather, it has this quirky, subtle, eccentric appeal that grows on you. Great acting, great soundtrack... it's a must-see This is movie is incredibly peculiar. It has this bleak and depressing tone, yet it still manages to be heartwarming, uplifting, and comedic. It doesn't hit you over the head with gags, as some people might have expected when they first saw it in theaters. Rather, it has this quirky, subtle, eccentric appeal that grows on you. Great acting, great soundtrack... it's a must-see film. John Heder plays this role perfectly (though, sadly, he can't play any other role). You can keep coming back to this film, and it will only get better. Just... don't expect a blockbuster teen comedy. Expand
  41. CoryG.
    Nov 29, 2008
    this movie is amazing. one of my favorite parts that i always love to just act out is "break the wrist, walk away." its not supposed to have a real plot, it just kind of exists, and makes people laugh in the process. the casting for the parts was great, especially pedro. i loved his apathetic attitude.
  42. IAmCorrect
    Nov 22, 2008
    This movie was boring and horrible. I sat through the movie waiting for it to end, and even then, i wanted to shoot myself, and then the TV.
  43. RobC.
    Sep 26, 2008
    Just three words: Slow, Bored. Eccentric.
  44. Oz
    Aug 5, 2008
    It is funny in parts but i also found it hard almost cruel to watch.But i love the ending as its funny and thoughtful a strong moral.
  45. DylanC
    Jul 24, 2008
    The first time I saw this movie was in theaters; I left thinking, "What a waste of 2 hours!" Then I saw it again a few months later and "got" it. Plotless, true. It is the characters and grade-a acting that delivers. The only reason you would hate this movie is because you cannot relate with the characters, but the acting is undeniably solid. Having said all this, the true magic of this The first time I saw this movie was in theaters; I left thinking, "What a waste of 2 hours!" Then I saw it again a few months later and "got" it. Plotless, true. It is the characters and grade-a acting that delivers. The only reason you would hate this movie is because you cannot relate with the characters, but the acting is undeniably solid. Having said all this, the true magic of this film comes off-screen: the quotability has potential to be endless. Cult Classic for sure. Expand
  46. DrewR.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Fine line betweeng enius and stupidy, Napoleon dynamite earns the nobel prize!!!! if you did not find this hilarious and heart warming, then you didnt get it and should not b reviewing films, nuff said!
  47. TimS.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Absolutely hilarious - refreshingly everyday, not a special effect in sight. Its inspired me to become a porn director.
  48. ChrisM.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Best enjoyed with friends.
  49. Mike
    Aug 26, 2007
    I don't see how it's possible to 'get' this movie. The entire film seems to be based around one character idea... and it gets boring after about 5 minutes. Trevor L... "quite possibly the funniest movie of all time" ...wow.. the mind boggles! Uninteresting characters, a pathetic plot, I just didn't care what happened at the end. Rubbish... I think I also I don't see how it's possible to 'get' this movie. The entire film seems to be based around one character idea... and it gets boring after about 5 minutes. Trevor L... "quite possibly the funniest movie of all time" ...wow.. the mind boggles! Uninteresting characters, a pathetic plot, I just didn't care what happened at the end. Rubbish... I think I also 'hate this film with my entire soul. Expand
  50. Phil
    Aug 14, 2007
    Past the childish hype and those who see it as stupid humor, a creepily good and more mature movie is there, both funny and charming.
  51. theCriticS.
    Aug 5, 2007
    This movie was dull, and boring. There was no plot at all. It was the least funniest movie I have ever seen. There is no likable character in this movie!
  52. Sophie
    Jul 31, 2007
    Fantastic stuff.. there's something really great about this movie. Excellent acting from everyone, really funny.. don't find the dance scene nearly as amazing as everyone else seems to.. but still.. truly a really good movie.
  53. BillyF.
    Jun 26, 2007
    A pain to watch. The character of napoleon, the dorky one-dimensional geek, is stretched out to the level of absurd frustration. You keep waiting for something significant to happen, but it never does. In a world overflowing with lovable geeks, it is hard to comprehend why the main character is such a repugnant, cringe-worthy freak. In short, confused and pretentious trash. Aiming too A pain to watch. The character of napoleon, the dorky one-dimensional geek, is stretched out to the level of absurd frustration. You keep waiting for something significant to happen, but it never does. In a world overflowing with lovable geeks, it is hard to comprehend why the main character is such a repugnant, cringe-worthy freak. In short, confused and pretentious trash. Aiming too high with an unloaded and worthless gun. Expand
  54. TonyP.
    Jun 12, 2007
    If you watched Napoleon and thought "nothing happened" or you didn't laugh or you thought the bike scene was the only funny part, then watch it again. That is exactly how I felt, but with the 2nd and 3rd viewing I completely enjoyed the movie and how it was so underplayed. It takes a little getting used to, because it is the opposite of most movies and characters that are so in your If you watched Napoleon and thought "nothing happened" or you didn't laugh or you thought the bike scene was the only funny part, then watch it again. That is exactly how I felt, but with the 2nd and 3rd viewing I completely enjoyed the movie and how it was so underplayed. It takes a little getting used to, because it is the opposite of most movies and characters that are so in your face. This movie clearly shows that it is not necessary to have a hysterical movie, lovable characters and a constantly moving "plot". Expand
  55. TrevorL.
    May 5, 2007
    This is the kind of movie you either get, or you don't. If you do, you will be rewarded with what is quite possibly the funniest movie of all time. This is in spite of the fact you're hard pressed to find more than a couple "jokes" or "gags". Sometimes you're laughing at the absurdity of Napoleon's actions, but at the same time you are rooting for him; it's not a This is the kind of movie you either get, or you don't. If you do, you will be rewarded with what is quite possibly the funniest movie of all time. This is in spite of the fact you're hard pressed to find more than a couple "jokes" or "gags". Sometimes you're laughing at the absurdity of Napoleon's actions, but at the same time you are rooting for him; it's not a case of mean spirited mocking. In fact, I would bet most of the people who enjoy the movie probably identify with the character. Expand
  56. BenC.
    Mar 11, 2007
    One of perhaps 2 films that I could not watch because I hated the characters so much - perhaps the last half hour is good, but I doubt it because no-one in this vile piece of work is remotely likeable.
  57. TravisG.
    Mar 9, 2007
    I hated this movie. I really dont get why people think this is funny. It has no story line. I spent half the time trying to figure out what was going on. There was only one funny moment in this whole movie and that is when Napoleon goes over the jump on the bike. Other than that it is just a stupid movie.
  58. IdontUnderstand
    Feb 6, 2007
    Why do poeple like this movie??? I fell asleep 3 times trying to watch it and didn't smile once. I'm sorry Napoleon fans, but this movie is worse than Epic Movie, and thats saying something.
  59. Mobius
    Aug 31, 2006
    Fantastic and Funny.
  60. JonatanN.
    Aug 28, 2006
    This is the best movie ever! Every time I see it I like it more I bet I would give it an 11 if I watched it a few more times.
  61. AaronL.
    Aug 2, 2006
    i think this film is sad and disturbing in many senses...especially how everyone finds it very funny and laugh at the character like this, and if this really is some autobiography, i will find this even more disturbing.. it just feels really sad to imagine, what if this character is real? and after u walk out of the cinema, his life would carry on in the way that everyone found "funny" i think this film is sad and disturbing in many senses...especially how everyone finds it very funny and laugh at the character like this, and if this really is some autobiography, i will find this even more disturbing.. it just feels really sad to imagine, what if this character is real? and after u walk out of the cinema, his life would carry on in the way that everyone found "funny" for 1 and a half hours? Expand
  62. Katherine
    Jul 24, 2006
    I watched it at my cousins and it was HILARIOUS! At one point I almost choked on food, and at another point water came out my nose, and I remember I could'nt breath at one point either. I really thought this movie was funny. I love how he says ramdom things.
  63. EmmeS.
    Jun 17, 2006
    Okay. My kids said "Don't watch it. You'll feel bad for the geek. You won't enjoy it. You'll watch it like a mom." And then my youngest 9 and bravest)son brought it home and dared me to watch it. The movie went from weird to funny, and then when I about choked laughing at the school bus-and-the cow scene, I found that I was actually it. By the end I really liked all Okay. My kids said "Don't watch it. You'll feel bad for the geek. You won't enjoy it. You'll watch it like a mom." And then my youngest 9 and bravest)son brought it home and dared me to watch it. The movie went from weird to funny, and then when I about choked laughing at the school bus-and-the cow scene, I found that I was actually it. By the end I really liked all those strange, yet endearing characters. My wiseacre kids gave the DVD to me as one of my Mother's Day gifts, because I didn't "watch it like a mom". Expand
  64. Wongit
    Jun 16, 2006
    I really dont see where they hype comes from. Honestly. Way overhyped.
  65. NealS.
    Jun 7, 2006
    Although there are many funny parts to this movie, it loses any real direction and fails to deliver any closure to the movie. The film is so much more than just about Napoleon and should have been renamed something similar to "Geeks and Freaks". The characters are those that we hated or ignored (or were) in high school and are lovable in their own quirkiness. But this movie falls flat on Although there are many funny parts to this movie, it loses any real direction and fails to deliver any closure to the movie. The film is so much more than just about Napoleon and should have been renamed something similar to "Geeks and Freaks". The characters are those that we hated or ignored (or were) in high school and are lovable in their own quirkiness. But this movie falls flat on satisfying the audience at the end, leaving us to want to watch more idiocy. Expand
  66. NickL.
    Jun 2, 2006
    This was a good movie. Like one of my friends said, it's destined to become a cult classic. If you don't think this movie was "flippin' sweet," then go practice your "knunchuck skills," or I'll shoot you with "a freakin' 12 gauge."
  67. JohnF.
    May 17, 2006
    Bah. Completely mistakes wierdness for humor. The makers thought that if they simply had their characters do and say odd, awkward things, the laughs would roll in. They don't. I was fighting the urge to walk out the entire time through.
  68. JonD.
    Apr 5, 2006
    About 2 or three times this movie made me laugh... other then taht i wanted to throw the dvd out the window, its a stupid movie and thats coming from someone who loves adam sandler movies. This pushes stupidity beyond everything this seems like it was made for about a thousand dollars and by 12 year olds. Dont watch this movie if your a teenager or older.
  69. BobP.
    Apr 2, 2006
    Best movie ever.
  70. MarkS.
    Mar 27, 2006
    First time is saw it I tuned it off after 15 min ,and thought it totally sucked , watched again about six months later and totally loved it... Its one of those movies when you start talking about it you reallize it was truly a unique and great movie.
  71. JordanA.
    Feb 19, 2006
    This movie is so wonder ful for so many reasons - not the least of which is that it defies comedic cliches at every turn. Just when you think you know the punchline, the movie suprises you over and over again. (ex. Kip really DOES have a girlfriend!) Another point generally missed: this movie looks like where I grew up! You don't realize how little the inter-mountain west is put into This movie is so wonder ful for so many reasons - not the least of which is that it defies comedic cliches at every turn. Just when you think you know the punchline, the movie suprises you over and over again. (ex. Kip really DOES have a girlfriend!) Another point generally missed: this movie looks like where I grew up! You don't realize how little the inter-mountain west is put into films until you see a movie like this. And the characters! While characatured to a point, they represent much more closely the people I actually knew growing (as a middle class white kid) up than most movies about teenagers these days, which focus either on hood life or the high life, neither of which really effects many, many teens. (Except in movies!) Expand
  72. BobA.
    Jan 17, 2006
    There was a time when a movie was made with a purpose (usually anti-pop culture) and through the process of some strange evolution, became a "cult classic." But now movies are being packaged and produced as cult classics ready for consumption, and by MTV, no less. Something about this movie says that while the fimmakers didn't know how to be funny, they sure knew how to be weird, and There was a time when a movie was made with a purpose (usually anti-pop culture) and through the process of some strange evolution, became a "cult classic." But now movies are being packaged and produced as cult classics ready for consumption, and by MTV, no less. Something about this movie says that while the fimmakers didn't know how to be funny, they sure knew how to be weird, and that would suffice. Expand
  73. JackH.
    Jan 8, 2006
    An instant classic for me. One of the most funny films I have ever seen! I feel sorry for those of you who are like, "What is all the fuss about?". Either you "get" this movie or you don't. I have a feeling people that don't understand why it's funny are old and don't understand.
  74. EP
    Jan 7, 2006
    Pure and utter crap. And thats putting it mildly. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but definitely if you liked this movie you are stupid...end of story.
  75. PatC.
    Jan 3, 2006
    Engaging & unique, yet the ending and add-on ending were flat, implying the makers didn't believe in what they were creating.
  76. TaylorL
    Nov 11, 2005
    This movie was boring and repetitive. I am so sick of everyone making such a big deal of it. It was repetitive and it's only good lines were boring. What the heck is all the fuss about??
  77. stever
    Nov 6, 2005
    I don't see it as making fun of the geeks. I see the geeks as heros. It's a statement about how clueless everyone is that age. No exceptions! And how many people stay clueless through some sort of arrested development. Friends stand by friends. Family by family -- as best they can. Creativity and individuality and self-confidence are celebrated. All the characters get what they I don't see it as making fun of the geeks. I see the geeks as heros. It's a statement about how clueless everyone is that age. No exceptions! And how many people stay clueless through some sort of arrested development. Friends stand by friends. Family by family -- as best they can. Creativity and individuality and self-confidence are celebrated. All the characters get what they want. Plus, its refreshing to see a film with a really unusual style become so popular. Expand
  78. BrianG
    Nov 2, 2005
    This was the funniest movie I have ever seen in my life.
  79. Gnarles
    Oct 27, 2005
    Take a Wes Anderson movie, then cut the guts out of it and make it very, very stupid. A useless pile of affectation and hipster wannabe-ness jammed into forced, wobbly irony. If you think the title (stolen from Elvis Costello, no matter what the hack director claims) is the funniest thing in the world, you'll be heaven. If you don't - or are allowed outside your residence Take a Wes Anderson movie, then cut the guts out of it and make it very, very stupid. A useless pile of affectation and hipster wannabe-ness jammed into forced, wobbly irony. If you think the title (stolen from Elvis Costello, no matter what the hack director claims) is the funniest thing in the world, you'll be heaven. If you don't - or are allowed outside your residence without a helmet on - then you probably are gonna want to pass. Expand
  80. ArthurA.
    Oct 23, 2005
    This was one of the most boring, plotless movies I have ever seen. It was the biggest waste of 2 hours. I really wanted to stop in the middle, but I couldn't help to hope that there will be something else at the end. Something that would explain the reason behind all the excitement about this movie. It was one of the biggest disappointments I had experienced in movies. If you never This was one of the most boring, plotless movies I have ever seen. It was the biggest waste of 2 hours. I really wanted to stop in the middle, but I couldn't help to hope that there will be something else at the end. Something that would explain the reason behind all the excitement about this movie. It was one of the biggest disappointments I had experienced in movies. If you never seen this movie and looking through reviews to decide if you should watch it or not, please spare two hours of your life and don't watch it. Expand
  81. Kym
    Sep 17, 2005
    I've watched it 8 times.... It's the sort of film that is better teh 2nd and 3rd time around. So many classic moments. Unlce Rico is the funniest character. Just because he is the biggest loser in it. "Back in '82 I could throw a pigskin a quarter mile!"
  82. ElsieC.
    Sep 15, 2005
    I just don't understand all the hype. I didn't laugh once.
  83. PatrickD.
    Sep 11, 2005
    A Classsic? I don't think so. This film had so many useless scenes, where they only end up with another "Gosh!" It was hardly even a film-more of an experiment.
  84. StevenJ.
    Sep 7, 2005
    A classic! One of those few movies that you can watch more than once.
  85. TylerD.
    Aug 29, 2005
    This is a classic, IMO. For those who don't like this movie, get a sense of humor. This movie is freaking genius in every way possible.
  86. brad
    Aug 28, 2005
    Not that funny, not that clever. Laughed only once. Disjointed, boring story.
  87. Dennis
    Aug 24, 2005
    I was late to this one. It is a classic in my book. This movie either hits with the viewer or it doesn't, not much in between. Has the most qoutable script in some time. Much deeper than it apprears the first time watching it. The triumph of Napoleon and Pedro makes it complete. Vote For Pedro !!!
  88. yeahwhatever
    Aug 17, 2005
    Ehh, where to start. First off, by saying, this movie was waaaay overrated. It is really boring. There are like two or three kind of funny parts. The dancing part wasn't even funny. I could honestly watch that part with a straight face.
  89. liz
    Aug 12, 2005
    One of THE funniest moivies i have ever seen,you'll want to watch it again and again.
  90. ericaS.
    Jul 29, 2005
    Its Flippin Awesome!!!!
  91. rosie
    Jul 11, 2005
    This movie is hilarious, I loved it.
  92. SethL.
    Jun 28, 2005
    I'd rate it a million if only my stupid computer would go that high.
  93. JohnM.
    Jun 22, 2005
    I guess if I were 16 or younger I might find this film funny and/or worthwhile, but alas I'm not. If you think MTV is clever, you could like this film. Vote for not seeing this film.
  94. JoshP.
    Jun 21, 2005
    It may not have a point but its so freakin hilarious!!!! that movie had some freakin idiots in it gah!
  95. KarenO.
    Jun 21, 2005
    Horribly bad movie
  96. Paulie
    Jun 19, 2005
    Innovative!
  97. EricaR.
    Jun 16, 2005
    Gosh, you're all a bunch of idiots if you didn't rate this movie a 10. Go outside on a bike and take it off some sweet jumps.
  98. AliD.
    Jun 4, 2005
    I wish they had off the scale numbers this movie is the best movie in the world! i love him! i mean it was so cool i think it taught people a lesson at the same time "GOSH!"
  99. AndrewH
    Jun 4, 2005
    If I could give it a 100 I would.... GOSH!!!
  100. IanJ.
    May 29, 2005
    This movie is very funny, however, you have to be in that sort of frame of mind. While many people agree this movie is one of the best comedies ever made an almost equal number disagree and think totally opposite;that it is the most idiotic, moronic, sophomoric, cretanistic, bland, and, frankly, retarded movie ever made. So, to each his own, but for what its worth, I have watched this This movie is very funny, however, you have to be in that sort of frame of mind. While many people agree this movie is one of the best comedies ever made an almost equal number disagree and think totally opposite;that it is the most idiotic, moronic, sophomoric, cretanistic, bland, and, frankly, retarded movie ever made. So, to each his own, but for what its worth, I have watched this film numerous times and laugh out loud every time. And to the person who thinks Mel Brooks is the "master of comedy", Brooks is the Jewish-American carbon copy of Monty Python with the same profusely long-winded satiric jokes and poor timing. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    As long as you don't mind making fun of the afflicted, there are some killer comic moments.
    The cast playing these eccentric characters is magnificent...This is definitely one of the most unique comedies you’ll see all year.
  3. A one-note, lightweight, condescending comedy about the rubes of Idaho.