8.7

1. Sep 20, 2012
    I was quite disappointed with this movie, it was very slow, lacking in character arcs, plot or emotion. The abandonment and the 'fending for themselves' is interesting, but it's half shot like a documentary, half shot like a progressive drama. But there's very little to take from the film. The characters are pretty shallow, despite the great acting and close-up shots. A movie this reminded me a lot of is King Of the Hill, a fantastically made movie about a boy left to fend for himself as his parents have to leave. There's adventure, a coming-of-age character arc, a plot with strong overtones. Very strongly written characters in addition to the good cast. Obviously they're not identical films, but I would recommend King Of The Hill tenfold over this. I'm a hugely into Asian cinema, but other than good camerawork, there's very little to this film. Expand
  2. Jun 18, 2012
    Undeniably, one of the best Japanese films I've ever seen in years. The story was so unique that it expressed an extraordinary unwelcoming senses of sympathy along with anger. Despite of that, the movie also possessed a sense of warmth that can make you fall into tears before you even realized.
  3. Feb 20, 2013
    Film Director, Hirokazu Kore-eda's take on a real life event of child abandonment in Japan. In Nobody Knows, Four children are left to fend for themselves when their mother takes off. The eldest son, Akira, is left in charge of his younger sisters and brother. He is forced to "grow up" and take charge but can only do so much. Hirokazu Kore-eda's cinematic progression and pacing is slow but riveting. It's a quiet film, yet spilling over with emotion. It's a comment on society and family. It reflects the status and shows us a cinematic situation of child abandonment it's not just a "pointless" and "boring" film. The kids act like kids. It's moving and eye-opening. As I say about all movies: Don't go in with expectations. Be surprised, entertained, and enlightened! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Jim Healy
    Yuya Yagira, winner of the best actor award at Cannes this year, is superb as the protective eldest child; he and his other nonprofessional costars are quietly heartbreaking.
  2. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Kore-eda sketches the inner, spiritual and emotional lives of the children with subtlety and sensitivity, delivering the goods after a seemingly directionless first half.
    I certainly came out of Nobody Knows feeling numb; only later, reflecting on the fact that the movie was inspired by a true story, did it occur to me that the numbness could have been deliberate, and that what suffused this picture was a mist of anger.