7.0

1. Jul 26, 2013
    It is not a disappointing film, but rather a disappointment of how good it could have been. There are a lot of great ideas, but then again there are so many holes in the storyline. There are some great actors, but then again one of the main roles is given to Eisenberg who instead of magical he is quite irritating.
  2. May 31, 2013
    It's fun in the moment. Some entertaining performances and chase scenes. But there are a half dozen plot holes and an ending that is just lazily handed to the audience. Not awful, just nothing special.
  3. Jul 22, 2013
    This film had a lot of problems.

a) There is no lead character, and you just do not know who you are supposed to root for. If you have an ensemble cast, you need to either have them all on the same time or clearly distinguish who is good and who is bad. Hence, all characters in this film were only superficially developed, and you end up not caring about any of them. b) Almost nothing
    This film had a lot of problems.

b) Almost nothing is explained. One of the best parts about heist films, which goes double for a film about magic, is when you get to explain everything in every little detail. This was not done. The narrative also had some gaping holes, such as the incredibly advanced technology which is used to create holograms. Never explained.

c) The twist at the end. I'm trying not to give anything away, but that twist at the end was interchangeable with any other character. The writer obviously just got to the end and thought I need to think of who the bad guy is going to be", and just picked a name out of a hat. Disappointing.

d) A very forced and unnecessary romantic interest.

HOWEVER.

The film was nevertheless enjoyable and entertaining, if not a bit predictable at times. The actors gave good performances, but the Harrelson/Eisenberg duo were begging for way more screentime. But despite my problems with it I enjoyed it and was never bored, just wished I had a character I could root for.
  4. Jun 11, 2013
    I enjoyed the concept of the movie. However, I was hoping they would touch on the little things like the handcuffs, flying scarfs, and so on. I understand the point of the movie but more should have been put into explaining. By the time (over 3/4 way in) they started explaining the movie, however, they (the production team) confused me. Magic or real?

Director of Photography Mitchell

Director of Photography Mitchell Amundsen must have taken over the photography. I could tell it was him right away, circles around everything!!!! GRRR. It gives me headaches.

I do enjoy movies that keep me at the edge of my seat. WAY TO GO!!! It kept me on the edge the whole time. HOWEVER, the ending was left pretty wide open in my opinion. A possible sequel?
  5. Feb 19, 2014
    Entirely subpar in every aspect. The story is a weak heist meets Robin Hood, meets magic mix, and the magic is meant to be illusions. The plot annoyingly relies on shear luck to get through any situations, although the 8/10 cast, try as they might cant bring this movie up from its score,

4/10 its a little below average, due to the twist that makes most of the story pointless and uninteresting story throughout.
  6. Sep 8, 2013
    Now You See Me might have the most misleading trailers of all-time. The previews make you think that story follow the four magicians, played by Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, and Dave Franco. However, the characters with the most screen time are actually an FBI agent played by Mark Ruffalo, an interpol agent played by Melanie Laurent, and a washed up magician played byNow You See Me might have the most misleading trailers of all-time. The previews make you think that story follow the four magicians, played by Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, and Dave Franco. However, the characters with the most screen time are actually an FBI agent played by Mark Ruffalo, an interpol agent played by Melanie Laurent, and a washed up magician played by Morgan Freeman. Guess what? I didn't know any of those actors were even in the movie. The movie also didn't seem to have an identity. It constantly jumped back and forth between magic not being real and then certain things not being possible without magic. This constant uncertainty from the film's perspective created a lazy feeling in the script. As for the individual characters, Woody was hilarious, Isla was absolutely gorgeous, and Eisenberg was, well, the same character he always is. Which reminds me, can we stop calling Jesse Eisenberg a great actor? The kid plays the exact same role every single time and that's who he is in real life. He isn't "acting", he's just playing himself in different situations. Back to the movie, it had decent plot development but with so many characters involved, none of them were really fleshed out properly. Lastly, it had the typical twist in the end that's become almost cliched where it wasn't written into the story well but just forced on the viewer. All-in-all, if you want to be mildly entertained with over-the-top magic tricks and a chaotic story and then toss in a romance for no reason, this is the movie for you. Expand
  7. Jun 4, 2013
    “Now You See Me” is a enjoyable popcorn flick. However, it tends to be more flash than actual substance.The concept of the film is intriguing, but it isn’t done in an all too interesting way. It’s just a fast paced film that throws a lot of stuff at you, but never truly lets you absorb what is happening. The magic show scenes are one of the highlights of the movie as it’s full of energy“Now You See Me” is a enjoyable popcorn flick. However, it tends to be more flash than actual substance.The concept of the film is intriguing, but it isn’t done in an all too interesting way. It’s just a fast paced film that throws a lot of stuff at you, but never truly lets you absorb what is happening. The magic show scenes are one of the highlights of the movie as it’s full of energy and the right amount of flash. My personal favorite moment is a fight/chase scene in the third act of the movie with Dave Franco. It’s shot well and has some really nice fight choreography.

My biggest gripe with the film is the cinematography and editing. The camera is always moving, either rotating around actors as they talk or around the scenery. It’s hard to focus and at times I became nauseated. Editing in the film is incredibly quick, which takes away from taking in some of these elaborate shots. On a positive note, it does get more tamed as the movie progresses mainly in the third act.

The cast is fine, but only two characters really stand out. Not that everyone else is giving a bad performance, but the characters they play lack substance or any really good one liners. The best characters are Woody Harrelson’s and Mark Ruffalo’s. Harrelson’s character has the best lines and the best moments. He’s funny, charismatic, and at the same time wise. Ruffalo’s character is the most developed and intriguing. He’s an FBI agent, who seems to have luck always against him and we can’t help, but cheer for him. The rest of the cast is either throw away, like Isla Fisher and Dave Franco, or interesting, but underdeveloped, like Jesse Eisenberg and Morgan Freeman.

Overall, “Now You See Me” is an enjoyable film that chooses flash over substance. Characters are mainly paper thin as they’re underdeveloped or pushed to the side aside from Ruffalo and Harrelson. The film has a nice soundtrack that gives it the right amount of energy. However, the dizzying camera work and rapid editing make it really hard to be absorbed into the story. I give it 2.5/5, an enjoyable film that doesn’t always engage with it’s high concept and original story.
  8. Jun 28, 2013
    Now You See Me is at times an enjoyable film. The best scenes are the magic ones, which are very well done and the acting is good. But the story is subpar especially the ending. I don't think the movie is worth the charge for seeing it in theatres. I would recommend waiting till it's on demand or at redbox.
  9. Jun 2, 2013
    It has its moments every so often and it does have a genuine sense of intrigue running throughout it, but "Now You See Me"s inferior character development and shoddy twists will ultimately leave you feeling cold.
  10. Jun 12, 2013
    Now You See Me has it all, an interesting concept, a fantastic cast, cool magic tricks, stylish action sequences, and a car chase, basically anything you could want from a high(er) concept thriller, this film delivers. The third act is a bit underwhelming, but that did not change how much fun I had with this film. With that said, Now You See Me is not as brilliant as it could have been orNow You See Me has it all, an interesting concept, a fantastic cast, cool magic tricks, stylish action sequences, and a car chase, basically anything you could want from a high(er) concept thriller, this film delivers. The third act is a bit underwhelming, but that did not change how much fun I had with this film. With that said, Now You See Me is not as brilliant as it could have been or as smart as it thinks it is, but regardless, it is a lot of fun and I'd definitely recommend it. Expand
  11. Jun 4, 2013
    When I went to see this, my expectations were pretty high. A little too high though. Other than the fact that the movie had a few moments that bedazzled and amazed me, I found it to be cheesy and at times boring. In my opinion, this film was worth the price of admission but it could have been worth way more.
  12. Jun 4, 2013
    A film about magic that is more about CGI. There is a strong cast that give good performances and the chemistry is the best part of the film. Finally the finale of the film doesn't work for me.
  13. Jun 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is not for someone who likes to think about the story during the movie, because of the fact that the story was kind of just summed up in short dialogue that moves on to more action sequences to be summed up again by dialogue. Also it seems like you are involved in this whole heist where actually you're not, The whole movie is kind of like the ending to an Oceans movie. Instead of having them talk over their plans they just go right into the heist and leave us out of it and making Morgan Freeman explain to us what just happened. They did have a plot twist at the end that no one saw coming though. There was very little parts to this twist though to make it seem awesome that that was the twist. The special effects were interesting though and there was a lot a of well known actors that were not used to their best ability. The movie kind of made most of them look like dicks. Expand
  14. Jun 5, 2013
    Here's the deal, mind-bending movies like Inception and The Prestige have revealed an entirely new genre of film. Movies like "Now You See Me" attempt to reflect elements of that genre, and ultimately find themselves in a realm closer to "summer throwaway". The script is what really throws a wrench in the final cut of this film. Even high caliber actors such as Morgan Freeman and MichaelHere's the deal, mind-bending movies like Inception and The Prestige have revealed an entirely new genre of film. Movies like "Now You See Me" attempt to reflect elements of that genre, and ultimately find themselves in a realm closer to "summer throwaway". The script is what really throws a wrench in the final cut of this film. Even high caliber actors such as Morgan Freeman and Michael Cain can't save this script from the sloppy mess that the writers left it in. Now, having said that, if you've seen Fast 6 and Star Trek, and you're still forcing yourself to go to the cinema, by all means spare your mind the stress of figuring out a plot and see this movie. Otherwise #skipit. Expand
  15. Jun 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Upon seeing the trailer, I had a very high hope for the film. The show was very enjoyable until their third final act. Well, even I didn't guess who was the 5th horseman, it was very disappointing to end the film with the twist like this. They could've done better rather than give us a twist like the "Usual Suspects". Expand
  16. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Now You See Me" has one of the best movie concepts that I've seen in a while. Adding the idea of magicians and a heist is genius. However, the movie in itself was a mixed bag. The acting was weak in the movie, and Thaddeus was able to debunk the magic tricks way too quick. We get no debunking scenes where Thaddeus is breaking down the puzzle. Instead, he just walks up on stage and tells the FBI agent about every single step and operation. The magic performances were really interesting, we get to learn how the 4 horsemen "teleported" a man from Vegas to Paris in under 3 seconds. Definitely something that I was looking forward to. There were some good laughs in the movie placed here and there. But the part of the movie that made me so upset was the ending. Unlike most people, I disliked the plot twist. It was too unexpected. Not in the good way. We had no indication that the FBI agent was in "The Eye" and that he would turn on Thaddeus. In the end, it's not an awful movie, and it's very controversial. I say that you should give it a chance. Don't take my word for it. Everyone sees things differently. Expand
  17. Jun 15, 2013
    I was expecting a lot of this movie, especially its premise which is different, it absolutely wasn't bad but it wasn't perfect, it had some boring scenes, and it was complicated but as a movie which I had high hopes and expectations, I was definitely without any question disappointed, on the other hand, the casting fits and the special effects are perfect.
  18. Jun 16, 2013
    Not very convincing. You expect e grand finale but never comes.
    Pretty lame characters for the great Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine.
    Overall is not a bad movie, but it isn't one that you will remember
  19. Jul 16, 2013
    A fun movie, which unfortunately let's it's ambition get the best of it. Even though the "magic tricks" are visually well executed, they seem very random at times.
  20. Jan 6, 2015
    Even if there are other films that have told a similar story, Now You See Me is entertaining. The story is engaging and suspenseful making me wonder what would happen next. The explanations for the magic tricks were surprising and clever and the big reveal that the end was one that I didn’t see coming and I’ll be curious to rewatch the film to see if there are hints of it. Definately worthEven if there are other films that have told a similar story, Now You See Me is entertaining. The story is engaging and suspenseful making me wonder what would happen next. The explanations for the magic tricks were surprising and clever and the big reveal that the end was one that I didn’t see coming and I’ll be curious to rewatch the film to see if there are hints of it. Definately worth checking out. Expand
  21. Oct 24, 2013
    Well, it had good enough twists, as well as good acting from most of the cast. However, the plot left a lot of questions unanswered or answered unclearly. It was a good movie. I was just expecting something better.
  22. Aug 5, 2014
    Now You See Me is a metaphor for itself. Everything is about misdirection. All the pomp, flash and promised reveals conspire to distract you from the fact that what you're actually watching is a vacuous, emotionally hollow, absurd movie with no real point or substance.
  23. Oct 12, 2013
    Now You See Me may have an interesting concept and enjoyable at times but it is a huge mess. The film comes off as overproduced; being filled with CGI (and bad CGI of course) and unrealistic scenes that viewers (who aren't already enamoured by the fact that the film is indeed performing a trick on the audience) won't believe at all. The first act comes off as egotistical and the third andNow You See Me may have an interesting concept and enjoyable at times but it is a huge mess. The film comes off as overproduced; being filled with CGI (and bad CGI of course) and unrealistic scenes that viewers (who aren't already enamoured by the fact that the film is indeed performing a trick on the audience) won't believe at all. The first act comes off as egotistical and the third and final act of the film comes off as frustratingly bad; the unnecessary "twist" ending comes off as...well, unnecessary and incredibly stupid. Like previously stated, the film's second act is the better of the acts since it is somewhat enjoyable to watch. The film is also very confused since it just cannot decide if it wants to be a comedy, an action film or a straight up crime thriller, and also it's characters are confused as well since it keeps changing the depictions of the characters themselves (for example; one moment "The Four Horseman" are anti-heroes, the other moment they are straight-up villains). Speaking of characters, "The Four Horseman" were unlikable and the law-enforcement characters were both dumb and annoying. The only good characters in the film were Morgan Freeman's and Michael Caine's character who also happen to be the best actors in the film as well, the worst actor being Mark Ruffalo, who's acting was absolutely atrocious. In the end, Now You See Me may be entertaining at times but at the end, it just plays a trick on the audience; it may look like a good film but if you look closer, it truly isn't very good. Expand
  24. Nov 1, 2013
    This magician-fuelled attempt at being a thriller constantly reminds the viewer that while something is going on here, the real thing is going on elsewhere, a distraction if you will. Well this whole film, enjoyable yet shallow, is a constant distraction, it has a lot of flashing lights and booming music to draw the attention away from a plot that is drawn out to be very complex when, itThis magician-fuelled attempt at being a thriller constantly reminds the viewer that while something is going on here, the real thing is going on elsewhere, a distraction if you will. Well this whole film, enjoyable yet shallow, is a constant distraction, it has a lot of flashing lights and booming music to draw the attention away from a plot that is drawn out to be very complex when, it actual fact, is quite straightforward. It always makes a point of blowing every single detail out of proportion to the point where there are intentional moments to throw the viewer of a scent, a scent that is honestly not that difficult to follow. There is a star cast to back up such a colourful show, Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher, Woody Harrelson and Dave Franco call themselves the Four Horsemen, we see them going about their day to day trickery as street hustlers and con artists, until they are mysteriously brought together as a collective group, Atlas is the showman and illusionist (Eisenberg), Merritt (Harrelson) is the mentalist who has quite a funny opening scene with a woman and her cheating husband, Henley (Fisher) is a beautiful escape artist while Jack (Franco) is a pickpocket and quite the entertaining fighter as well. As these four are brought together and financed by the shady Tressler (Michael Caine), they pull off a ban heist from their Las Vegas show, yet the heist happens in France, after they ‘teleported’ a man from their show to the vault of said bank. What then ensues is a race against time for the viewer, to see if they can outsmart the writers and get to the finish line of the whole plot, the illusions continue but no clear or reasonable motives ever seem to be present, the film definitely lacks in cause for these characters, particularly the role of Thaddeus (Morgan Freeman), a man who makes a living out of debunking magicians, who then decides to help out the FBI agent Rhodes (Mark Ruffalo) to bring down these magicians, only problem being they cannot figure out what their next move will be. As often impressive as the film looks and feels, it never seems anything more than just that, a nice shiny car that has no engine, it lacks the proper character direction, these four talented individuals show no real inclination of why they so desperately want to evade the police and put on a good show, no backstory whatsoever. But despite that, the talent playing them are bang on the mark in bringing a unique approach to each performance, confidence and wonderful trickery often ensues, but can get a bit long in the tooth as there is little point to a lot of it. This is certainly a flashy and in your face technique, delivered through a lot of dizzy camera movements and showmanship, yet drag it all away and there is still something worth seeing here, but it gets lost in all the glamour of trying to put on a big show, this ultimately prevents the film from being as enjoyable as it could have been, it has its thrills, but tries too hard to deliver more in the process. Expand
  25. Aug 25, 2013
    A movie that starts promising and quickly fizzles into nothing. The real magicians are the people behind the film, which did a very good job at distracting you from shallow characters, a movie that had zero plot and making you think you saw something great.
  26. Sep 26, 2013
    The idea was pretty neat and some things were funny I guess, but this movie was bad. It was pretty much all a big buildup to a totally arbitrary plot twist, and that's one of the worst things I can think of in writing anything. The final resolution of the plot was... I don't know, it felt bland... as bland as the whole "Eye" (sub?)plot and the character of the detective which didn't makeThe idea was pretty neat and some things were funny I guess, but this movie was bad. It was pretty much all a big buildup to a totally arbitrary plot twist, and that's one of the worst things I can think of in writing anything. The final resolution of the plot was... I don't know, it felt bland... as bland as the whole "Eye" (sub?)plot and the character of the detective which didn't make much sense in any of its doings in the plot. I would also dare say that it had little to do with magicians... but I guess I couldn't expect explaining tricks/making plausible ones while still making them really interesting from a mainstream movie, and I guess "magicians" played this way is fine too, but... meh. It was entertaining as a light-entertainment action movie I guess, but other than that it was all a big waste of a good basis for a plot and a good cast. Expand
  27. Mar 13, 2014
    Although certainly entertaining and with a great cast Now You See Me has a multitude of problems. One of the most notable is how generally dislikable many of the characters are (especially Ruffalo's character). Also the action sequences seem a bit ridiculous considering that it's magicians that are being chased. Not to mention that the twist is idiotic and not all that surprising and itAlthough certainly entertaining and with a great cast Now You See Me has a multitude of problems. One of the most notable is how generally dislikable many of the characters are (especially Ruffalo's character). Also the action sequences seem a bit ridiculous considering that it's magicians that are being chased. Not to mention that the twist is idiotic and not all that surprising and it leads to an even less satisfying ending. That said the magic and heist scenes are well done and fun to watch. Expand
  28. Nov 25, 2013
    Highly unrealistic and implausible. There were plenty of good enjoyable moments though, but I feel like if I hadn't watched it I wouldn't have missed much. Spend your time elsewhere on better movies, or read a book.
  29. Jun 29, 2013
    The characters were bland and uninteresting. Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine were the only interesting ones. The concept for this movie is great but could have been done better.
  30. Jul 7, 2013
    Despite a well laid introduction and intriguing premise, Now You See Me stumbles going into its second act and never recovers the scope or direction required to live up to its grandiose attempt at cross genre crime-drama.

This is all down to the simple fact that Now You See Me has a severe case of identity crisis. The general idea is a pick and mix of several "plot-twist based genres," including "Magicians" The Prestige, The Illusionist "Heist Movie" Oceans 11 "Deception" Usual Suspects, Saw The Departed) and general "Cat and Mouse" drama Catch Me if You Can ).

While this sounds like a recipe for brilliance, the end product throws too many ingredients in the pot for any single flavor to emerge even remotely tasteful, leaving the audience somewhat empty when the hum-drum reveal at the end does little to evoke surprise or awe.

The main problem is each of the films parts never lead to anything substantially satisfying. Remember what made The Illusionist so good? It was the fact the magic on display was all part of an underlying trick, and when Paul Giamatti his head back, and laughs at the brilliance of it all, so did the audience. NYSM would like to think it did the same thing, indeed, Morgan Freeman et al practically reinforce the point every ten minutes, that "everything in play is part of a much bigger illusion." Perhaps it is, but it's all thoroughly unconvincing. And when you ignore the motives and reason for all that takes place, the "magic" on display is either tiring, or beyond belief.

Also worthy of note is the complete lack of characterization. The combination of Harrelson and Eisenberg should have been a winner from the start, yet, they're barely given the screen time to save things, never mind a decent script. During the run up to release, I had to wonder why Emma Stone didn't join them. One reason could be she saw the script and didn't think there'd be much point with the way the magicians characters were handled.

Instead, the majority of the movie focuses on the FBI agent tracking everything down, and the rather fetching Interpol agent assisting him. Again, perhaps the idea around this, given the ending, was to further the film's sense of deception and illusion, but it still doesn't make up for about an hour's worth of boredom, and only helps the ending to be entirely unsatisfactory. In fact, a lot of the earlier actions of certain characters don't even make sense when you realize the truth.

Throw in a rather absurd car chase, and at the same time, predictable plot twist regarding said scene and you have a movie that doesn't even seem to be attempting cleverness anymore.

With that said, the film is entirely watchable when merely watched without anticipation. Just don't expect another Prestige or Illusionist.

When you come to the end reveal in such a movie, there's generally three reactions: there's the "Ahhh", the "Oh..." and the "Mehh.."

This film definitely only approaches "Oh."

1. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Jul 5, 2013
    Ocean’s Eleven meets The Prestige? Not quite. Starts well, ends in a heap, but in between there’s just enough splash and flash to distract from the lack of substance
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jul 5, 2013
    Overcooked, overcomplicated and underinteresting, this heist caper turns into a mess.
  3. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 6, 2013
    Much of what makes Now You See Me so entertaining — in a gaudy, disposable, Vegas act sort of way — is its ever-escalating ridiculousness.