Summit Entertainment | Release Date: May 31, 2013
7.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 704 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SpangleFeb 5, 2017
Now You See Me is a tough film. Undeniably, it is entertaining. Its tricky magicians put on one hell of a show and manage to distract the audience just enough to make you look away from the clunky execution of filmmaking behind the scenes.Now You See Me is a tough film. Undeniably, it is entertaining. Its tricky magicians put on one hell of a show and manage to distract the audience just enough to make you look away from the clunky execution of filmmaking behind the scenes. Its characters are bad. Its plot is cliche. Once you figure out what the trick up the film's sleeve is, the magic does disappear some. Plotholes, likely, abound. Yet, the sleight of hand and wool over our eyes is thoroughly enjoyable. It is fun to be tricked in this way because of the show that goes on. The reveal, the mystery, and the entire show put on by the film is more than enough to make me not overly concerned about the film's faults under the hood. The thing runs on pure adrenaline, even if the engine is bone dry and the brakes are shot.

With a great cast turning in charismatic performances, this fervent energy put forth by Now You See Me is greatly impacted by this cast. Having a great time, this large cast of talented actors have minor characters to chew on, but they play them incredibly well and breathe life into this film. While director Louis Letterier is largely struggling to keep up with the magic of the tale, the actors are always game and hamming it up in their roles. In particular, Woody Harrelson is perfectly cast and his performance underscores why he is perfect for this wise cracking mentalist. Alongside him, Jesse Eisenberg is great as a self-assured jerk, which is another great piece of casting. That said, how dare he call Isla Fisher fat. Has he seen her? If she's fat, then every woman is fat. That said, the fun lines and actors do blind us to how horrible these characters truly are. They are not paper thin, they are non-existent. The casting is so good because the actors just act according to their typecast. There is no nuance and no character development.

The plot, likewise, is all a ruse. The compelling premise is great and Letterier has a lot of fun with it throughout the film. Constant twists and surprises along the way keep the film feeling fresh and engaging. It is a film with a great imagination and lots of tricks in its bag. However, it does all cover up a thin plot. The end result is hard to wrap your brain around, half because the distractions and magic were so good and half because the plot makes no sense. The former outweighs the latter, however, because of the aforementioned energy and adrenaline of the film. Without this energy, the problems would be far more detrimental than they are, but it is hard to deny that the film is incredibly entertaining with the mystery and confusion of the plot being nothing more than part of its appeal. A good magic trick leaves you guessing and shocked with no clue as how it was pulled off. The film itself is just like this with the film being more about the experience and tricks it pulls, instead of whatever is up its sleeves.

The film does suffer from the bad romance between Mark Ruffalo and Melanie Laurent. They have some chemistry, but it is very cheesy and adds nothing to the film whatsoever. It is not cute and it does not add depth. It merely distracts from the good part of the film - the magic - and makes me realize just how truly awful this film is and deserves to be derided far more than it was. Fortunately, this is only a small part of the film so I can write it off and move it out of my mind while focusing on the more positive aspects of this film.

A bad, thinly plotted, thinly written, and distracting film, the greatest trick Now You See Me pulls it making me thoroughly enjoy it. For all of its faults, the film is the kind of summer film with serious pizzazz that rides on the charisma of its actors and the magic it creates. Now You See Me may not be good, but it is incredibly fun with infectious energy that makes you willing to look past its litany of faults.
ammeooJan 20, 2017
This movie was an utter disappointment for me. The plots were not properly executed, there were many loopholes and the story was boring to be honest. The problem with these commercial films is that their whole purpose is to make money out ofThis movie was an utter disappointment for me. The plots were not properly executed, there were many loopholes and the story was boring to be honest. The problem with these commercial films is that their whole purpose is to make money out of amateur movie goers rather than make something that should critically make sense. Expand
BrandonBonaseraDec 31, 2016
Now You See Me may have an interesting concept, however it is a messy, poorly written, and overproduced disappointment that wastes a fun premise and makes bland viewing.
RardonielOct 7, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really, really enjoyed watching this movie, but I was a bit sceptical at first.
See, I often anticipate that massive plot twist that turns your mind upside down, but this movie really surprised me, essentially because I did not see that ending coming.
abm0Sep 19, 2016
Paper-thin characters introduced like a sports team line-up, all full of themselves and spewing "bad-ass" lines trying way too hard to sound cool, like they were written by a teenager or something. Halfway through the movie the explanation toPaper-thin characters introduced like a sports team line-up, all full of themselves and spewing "bad-ass" lines trying way too hard to sound cool, like they were written by a teenager or something. Halfway through the movie the explanation to the "big mystery" is spelled out to us in every detail by Morgan Freeman, who did himself a big disservice by playing in this crap, and then all interest in continuing to watch the movie completely dies. At which point I press pause, get out of full-screen and close the player. The End. Expand
marcmyworksAug 6, 2016
Well this film was a lot better than expected. Combining elements of David Copperfield with Ocean's 11 was pretty genius and original. My only big critique is the film would have fared better with real magic tricks rather than CGI.
MasterRileyJul 23, 2016
Now You See Me is a very interesting movie that held my interest closely throughout. The way their magic tricks were planned and portrayed kept the film entertaining throughout. Definitely a really cool movie I recommend checking out.
SeeRossRunJul 19, 2016
This movie is a 10 in my book for its subversive commentary on media as a social tool. Which sociologically speaking, is one of the five forces that shape human society. Here is the key that many people need to unlock those locks. If youThis movie is a 10 in my book for its subversive commentary on media as a social tool. Which sociologically speaking, is one of the five forces that shape human society. Here is the key that many people need to unlock those locks. If you take magic in the movie as an allegory for illusions that shapes social consciousness, the movie will make more sense than the simple heist everyone thinks this movie is. The main point of the heist was not to steal the money, but to show the true face of their "benefactor" for his wrong doings. Their "benefactor" used media to make his crimes disappear through shaping social mindsets, much like magicians do a rabbit in a hat. This is a commentary on how there are many more stories of "good, wealthy" men (business, political, religious) who have used media (art, print, song, rumour) to make themselves appear to be something they are not, much like an illusion. Our history is littered with them, much like the many locks at the bottom of the water we see at the end of the movie. The key is to realize that men lie, create illusions of truthfulness, to remain in power. We, have the key to see through said illusions. Don't always trust the news, or rumours, or even leaders. Sometimes they are illusions, just as elaborate as a magic show. Expand
DanBurritoJul 6, 2016
Now You See Me may be a bit light on substance, but it's still stylish and well-acted enough to entertain. The cast were all excellent, bringing plenty of energy to the movie and making the most out of an interesting premise. The magic tricksNow You See Me may be a bit light on substance, but it's still stylish and well-acted enough to entertain. The cast were all excellent, bringing plenty of energy to the movie and making the most out of an interesting premise. The magic tricks performed, while not always entirely plausible, were fun to watch as well. Some may find it too slick and twisty, but if you're looking for a fun, entertaining caper flick, this should satisfy you. Overall, a fun movie with enough tricks up its sleeve to make up for its flaws. Expand
EpicLadySpongeMay 23, 2016
Now You See Me has great expectations, but it also has a stale mystery, it lacks a lot of thrill to it too, and the magic is sorta predictable after the first hour passes.
MEFzelderMay 22, 2016
"Now you see me" es una de la películas policiales más originales que vi, no es una obra maestra pero ejecuta muy buenas ideas, giros argumentales y bastante acción que entretienen y termina siendo una buena película.
La película nos
La película nos introduce a cuatro magos callejeros: Daniel (Jesse Eisenberg), Merritt (Woody Harrelson), Henley (Isla Fisher) y Jack (Dave Franco). Quienes son reclutados por una figura misteriosa para convertirse en un grupo afamado que ejecuta crímenes a lo Robin Hood con sus actos de magia. Mientras tratan de evadir al detective Dylan Rhodes (Mark Ruffalo) y a Thadeuss Bradley (Morgan Freeman) un revelador de trucos de magia.
En si la película es entretenida en todo momento, si no es por los trucos de magia hay escenas de acción que mantienen alto el rendimiento de la aventura, todo sumado a la gran producción fotográfica de cada lugar donde realizan los eventos Los Cuatro Jinetes.
Uno de los puntos blandos es el romance, por algún motivo pensaron que sería buena idea relacionar por ese lado al detective Dylan y la agente del Interpol, Alma Dray (Mélanie Laurent), y a Daniel y Henley, pero en ambos casos no se ve el apego o los sentimientos, queda muy forzoso. Además hay giros en la trama que son muy predecibles.
"Now you see me" es una buena película, tiene sus puntos fuertes y en general es entretenida a lo largo de toda la duración, a pesar de no ser tan sorprendente cumple.
jlittle1404Apr 10, 2016
This movie is exciting, fun, and full of magic! It's different than other movies like this. Well there aren't other movies like this. Great story and good acting this movie makes magic seem interesting and fun again.
CineAutoctonoFeb 27, 2016
"Now You See Me " was a very good movie , a little loose but scenes of magic, are magnificent , including those of action , a great work of the cast, including Isla Fisher is beautiful as always, and finally a good movie , good scenes and"Now You See Me " was a very good movie , a little loose but scenes of magic, are magnificent , including those of action , a great work of the cast, including Isla Fisher is beautiful as always, and finally a good movie , good scenes and good work of the cast. Expand
BarneyOnMTFeb 17, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: It's fast paced, luxurious and well-scored cinema that offers bags of mystery and smiles. The characters are brought to life well with great acting, too. It's just indulgent and fun.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Overall, it's not
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: Overall, it's not particularly impactive because it flits about so much, one minute it's tense, another it's dull and stagnant or disengaging. Really, the flaw is the weak and changing plot that gets too little set-up in the first place.
VERDICT: 'Now you see me' is packed with good moments and mystery, but the plot lets it down.
audreythomas25Dec 31, 2015
Like a real magic show, Now You See Me is thoroughly entertaining for the most part, but is ultimately silly and substanceless.

Watch this movie here http://www.watchfree.to/watch-29ce9c-Now-You-See-Me-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
FilmQueenNov 25, 2015
Entertaining and fast-paced with some fun tricks and illusions. I absolutely enjoyed this film. Although some of the "twists" couldn't fool me, I still liked it.
BeingNickDohNov 19, 2015
I didn't catch on until the near ending the major twist, so that made it good.

I didn't catch on until the near ending the major twist, so that made it good.

But after reading some of the other criticisms, I do see where a lot of errors in movie structure exist.. There is only a few seconds of character building, the plot is very basic, and the characters are obvious stereotypes.

I give it a 5 because it is a family movie really, anyone can watch it and it isn't offensive, and it can be enjoyed for what it is... another illusionist movie.
thecriticboyJul 25, 2015
This is a magically movie and one of my favorites movies of this genre. When I saw this movie I found an excellent job both script and each of the characters
Meth-dudeJul 7, 2015
The visuals were amazing and the acting was extremely good but the movie tries to be more clever than he really is.With a unexpected twist who doesn't really work with the story and the constant and horrible love story between the two cops,The visuals were amazing and the acting was extremely good but the movie tries to be more clever than he really is.With a unexpected twist who doesn't really work with the story and the constant and horrible love story between the two cops, the movie could have been better but it's still an entertaining little movie. Expand
AaronDWassermanJun 26, 2015
A fairly entertaining movie. It shows even more why Eisenberg can completely impress the world with his acting chops. But the cleverness of the script is impressive. the only negative is that it is way too long and drags on to much
teddylukeMay 3, 2015
this movie is pretty good but its problem is that it is so forgettable does that make it a bad movie no but what's the point in making it so forgettable that I can barely tell you what the pilot is. I know its not the people who made thethis movie is pretty good but its problem is that it is so forgettable does that make it a bad movie no but what's the point in making it so forgettable that I can barely tell you what the pilot is. I know its not the people who made the film fault but it still is forgettable. Expand
Jim222001Apr 14, 2015
Now You See Me starts out interesting enough but it turns into more and more of an entertaining mess. The film is always is entertaining with a great cast but the twists and turns get more and more silly as it goes on. Everything done withNow You See Me starts out interesting enough but it turns into more and more of an entertaining mess. The film is always is entertaining with a great cast but the twists and turns get more and more silly as it goes on. Everything done with the Mark Ruffalo character makes no sense by the end I will just say. Expand
JacobJan 6, 2015
Even if there are other films that have told a similar story, Now You See Me is entertaining. The story is engaging and suspenseful making me wonder what would happen next. The explanations for the magic tricks were surprising and clever andEven if there are other films that have told a similar story, Now You See Me is entertaining. The story is engaging and suspenseful making me wonder what would happen next. The explanations for the magic tricks were surprising and clever and the big reveal that the end was one that I didn’t see coming and I’ll be curious to rewatch the film to see if there are hints of it. Definately worth checking out. Expand
Blurb10Dec 10, 2014
Now You See Me - You're Better Off With Penn & Teller (Part 1)

Now You See Me - You're Better Off With Penn & Teller (Part 1)

It's to be expected that a film about magicians, directed by the man responsible for Transporter 2, Clash of the Titans and The Incredible Hulk, would require suspension of disbelief, but "Now You See Me" defies basic logic so brazenly and steps wrong so relentlessly, it's hard to imagine how anyone with a shred of intelligence would buy the nonsensical plot.
Mind you, the beginning is promising: the so-called protagonists are introduced one by one, as a hooded figure recruits them for a mysterious, epic task. We meet Jesse Eisenberg's J. Daniel Atlas, a young entrepreneur magician on the rise, staging a very elaborate card trick that involves an entire skyscraper to impress a girl into sleeping with him. There's Woody Harrelson's Merrit McKinney, a sardonic mentalist who dupes folks out of cash by utilizing hypnosis in a highly unethical fashion. Isla Fisher plays Henley Reeves, an ex-magician's assistant who now has her own show, escaping from a piranha-filled water tank. Last - and unfortunately least - Dave Franco's Jack Wilder barely gets any screen time as a thieving street trickster/escape artist/locksmith.
Though Eisenberg is particularly hard to believe as a smooth womanizer who has a history with Henley (his gawky physique and awkward intonations, suggesting both vulnerability and intelligence, felt much more natural in "The Social Network"), and Dave Franco's character is a blank slate (I can't get over how much he resembles his older brother, damn those Francos!), the set-up is compelling, and Woody steals the show with juicy one-liners. Then they are assembled, Avengers-style, in a seemingly abandoned apartment - and the ludicrousness factor skyrockets through the stratosphere.
To avoid revealing too much, I'll just list the highlights of what happens next. The magicians are given a task by the aforementioned mysterious recruiter that involves holographic blueprints (!), but the screen fades out before we find out what that task is. Fade in: now known as The Four Horsemen, J. Daniel, Henley, Merrit and Jack are putting on a grandiose Las Vegas performance, during which they allegedly rob a Swiss bank, then shower the audience with Euro bills.
Enter Mark Ruffalo's scruffy FBI agent Dylan Rhodes. "Now You See Me" reinforces the Century-old cinematic cliche of partnering an agent with a sidekick who's also a potential suspect, by having him partner with Mélanie Laurent's somewhat dubious - and bland - Interpol agent Alma Dray. You may recall that I referred to the protagonists as "so-called", and it's because at this point the film jarringly switches perspective and follows Rhodes' attempts to decipher the enigma behind The Four Horsemen, as they elude the law (the rationale behind it - that the FBI cannot arrest magicians because it would make it seem like the government believes in magic - is hysterical) and stage more outrageous magical heists. By the time the film's obligatory car chase sequence - filmed uber-conventionally - kicks in, any sense of realism has dissipated entirely.
Did I mention that Morgan Freeman pops up as magic debunker Thaddeus Bradley (credit to screenwriter Ed Solomon for the ostentatious character names) who may or may not be involved with The Four Horsemen, and who seems stoned and bemused throughout, as if he just stepped off the set of his own trippy TV series "Through the Wormhole"? Or that Michael Caine barely makes an impression as billionaire Arthur Tressler, who gets chained down on stage and assaulted by a ravenous crowd? Or that rapper Common plays a character called simply Evans, whose sole purpose is to be the center of a silly visual gag towards the end of the film? In my preview I mentioned that the main reason for my excitement was the stellar cast, one of the best assembled in a film so far this year, but Louis Leterrier manages to mishandle it with such aplomb, his film almost deserves attention solely for that reason.
Amongst the fundamental mistakes that the filmmakers have made, and there are many, a few are worth pointing out specifically. The first was to introduce us to interesting characters, then keep us out of the loop for the rest of the film, putting the focus instead on Rhodes' investigation. I'm a Ruffalo fan, especially in earlier films like "You Can Count On Me", but he's played his share of scruffy investigators ("Shutter Island", "Zodiac", "In the Cut"), and despite hamming it up intermittently, the actor turns in the blandest performance of his career so far. The second mistake was to structure the film as all build-up with no pay-off; Thaddeus constantly promises something in the vein of, "You ain't seen nothing yet!" - and then nothing spectacular happens! More money is rained on people, more fireworks, more outlandish heists with even more outlandish explanations…
ydnar4Nov 23, 2014
One of the best thriller movies I have ever seen. Now You See Me is full of a great cast and its the perfect mind screwing movie. It easy to follow but there is always something that twists the plot and gets you even more hooked.
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"Now You See Me" 10 Scale Rating: 4.5 (Mediocre) ...

The Good: Great cast and interesting characters. The initial buildup is great and grabs your attention. The Bad: Becomes completely absurd and impossible. The film revolves a group of
"Now You See Me" 10 Scale Rating: 4.5 (Mediocre) ...

The Bad: Becomes completely absurd and impossible. The film revolves a group of struggling magicians who apparently learn to become actual mages doing real magic ... or at least that is what I took from it as they pulled off trick after trick without any real explanation. The implausibility of the film ruins what could have been a decent idea.
vikesh2206Nov 9, 2014
Now You See Me's convoluted third act and one dimensional characters robs the magic it weaves throughout the remainder of the movie and all of its visual splendour.
Kai82Sep 14, 2014
What an awesome and entertaining movie. Surprising plot twist after plot twist and in the end everything fits together like a puzzle. The reveal of the mastermind at the end will surprise everyone. All theories I made up were destroyed.What an awesome and entertaining movie. Surprising plot twist after plot twist and in the end everything fits together like a puzzle. The reveal of the mastermind at the end will surprise everyone. All theories I made up were destroyed. Another plus factor is that the movie is enjoyable from start to finish. The cast did a great job and each role was well chosen. The creativity in this movie is ideal. I would not say there are no flaws in this movie but it is so good you will forget your complains. Overall the most positive movie surprise in 2013. Expand
MaricaAug 31, 2014
"The more you look, the less you see." - J Daniel Atlas

What can i say,.Is a f**king nice movie.I like it!

*****************************************
TokyochuchuAug 5, 2014
Now You See Me is a metaphor for itself. Everything is about misdirection. All the pomp, flash and promised reveals conspire to distract you from the fact that what you're actually watching is a vacuous, emotionally hollow, absurd movie withNow You See Me is a metaphor for itself. Everything is about misdirection. All the pomp, flash and promised reveals conspire to distract you from the fact that what you're actually watching is a vacuous, emotionally hollow, absurd movie with no real point or substance. Expand
AGarcia732Jul 20, 2014
The movies plot really is extremely convenient, with it's story tied to random chance. Various plot points and questions were still unresolved at the film's conclusion. It's confusing at times and implausible. However, if you can ignore that,The movies plot really is extremely convenient, with it's story tied to random chance. Various plot points and questions were still unresolved at the film's conclusion. It's confusing at times and implausible. However, if you can ignore that, you will enjoy this movie. An entertaining movie with a strange premise but two huge twists at the end. A cast that really hold this entire movie up, and very well too. Liked the magic and action. You really must see this movie.

And whether you like it or not, a sequel is being planned!

If you liked this review, read my other ones by clicking on my name and mark this review as helpful. Remember, every vote counts!

(And P.S, you may have seen or read this review under "'andrewgarcia732". I can't get into my old account and have started a new one.)
chwJul 17, 2014
Now You See Me was absolutely amazing. The magic tricks weren't just amazing/impossible, but nobody would've thought of doing magic tricks like these.
BobboJul 9, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh how convenient, the "inside guy" was running the whole investigation the entire time. Yeah you really tricked the audience there, haha that was a great trick. And Morgan Freeman finally gets stumped by the tricky plot, so no freckle this time. Expand
Apartment64Jul 5, 2014
"Now You See Me" is a decent summer blockbuster until the final act which is just so plainly stupid I don't think I could ever describe it and stay polite at the same time. And also: bad CGI during the magic trick sequences? I'm speechless.
NicholasandrewJun 13, 2014
Less then the expected. The greatest problem is about the magic. Several of them are full of computer graphics, what makes you fell like even Chris Angel could never performance that.
But at the end, you stares at the screen with the same
But at the end, you stares at the screen with the same face that when you discover how a magic is done.
It worth to watch, but is a little bit wearisome.
Enjoy
Jamison12May 25, 2014
I really like this movie. Is it the best? Not by any means, but visually it is a spectacle to say the least. The character development isn't up to par, and the plot is too fast and isn't explained as much as it should be, normally those wouldI really like this movie. Is it the best? Not by any means, but visually it is a spectacle to say the least. The character development isn't up to par, and the plot is too fast and isn't explained as much as it should be, normally those would ruin a movie and is what kept this film from getting tremendous reviews. That said though, it's a wonderful premise and the actin is outstanding. Now You See Me puts you into a wonderful fantasy world and will leave audiences eagerly waiting for the next installment of the franchise Expand
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
I really don't want to make this a long review so I wont. The cast was amazing but everything else fell short don't get me wrong i still enjoyed the movie while watching it but i just didn't feel the magic and the whole twist at the end wasI really don't want to make this a long review so I wont. The cast was amazing but everything else fell short don't get me wrong i still enjoyed the movie while watching it but i just didn't feel the magic and the whole twist at the end was laughable i seen that half way through but hey i guess it tricked my friend. Overall i give it a 6.0 the cast is the only thing that makes this film re-watchable it's also are getting another unnecessary Hollywood sequel. Expand
adverbMay 4, 2014
Given the movie's cast and word of mouth, I was expecting a lot more than I got. Not a total waste of time--the two female leads are gorgeous--but not far from it, either.
throwaway1Apr 30, 2014
Louis Leterrier’s film “Now You See Me,” is fun, easy to enjoy movie. The film does a great job of being flashy with grand spectacles without taking itself too seriously. The four main magicians who work together have great balance inLouis Leterrier’s film “Now You See Me,” is fun, easy to enjoy movie. The film does a great job of being flashy with grand spectacles without taking itself too seriously. The four main magicians who work together have great balance in character, and tons of crowd appeal. What this movie lacks in a meaningful message, it makes up with amazing tricks and twists that will leave the audience unable to guess the next move. Add a feel good ending with an interesting twist, and this movie makes a solid addition to any easy watching movie list. Expand
LaGuertaApr 29, 2014
Like hairography, camera movement is relentless to disguise the lack of innovation and originality beneath it. It features dialogue which serves only to further stereotypes and drag plot in a direction slightly resembling forwards. Were I aLike hairography, camera movement is relentless to disguise the lack of innovation and originality beneath it. It features dialogue which serves only to further stereotypes and drag plot in a direction slightly resembling forwards. Were I a magician, I would make this film disappear. I am not, so it remains. Expand
TheQuietGamerApr 27, 2014
One of the better heist-thrillers I've seen. With an all-star cast and plenty of twists and turns this is one that I found extremely entertaining. The use of magic makes this better than it otherwise would have been. Watching the tricks playOne of the better heist-thrillers I've seen. With an all-star cast and plenty of twists and turns this is one that I found extremely entertaining. The use of magic makes this better than it otherwise would have been. Watching the tricks play out in the scenes is awesome. A particular fight scene's use of illusions and trick is particularly impressive. There are one or two slow moments in the film, and the romance between the interpol and FBI agent is predictable and bland, but otherwise this is one awesome movie. One of the best I've watched in quite a while. I give it a 9.8/10-Amazing. Expand
Viper8787Apr 19, 2014
There are so many twists and turns in this movie and it is great. The magic part of this movie is also really cool and keeps your mind going and into it the whole time. They add many illusions in the movie to keep your mind thinking and maybeThere are so many twists and turns in this movie and it is great. The magic part of this movie is also really cool and keeps your mind going and into it the whole time. They add many illusions in the movie to keep your mind thinking and maybe not always following what is going on but I really like that about this movie. Also there is a great ending that I don't think anyone could have predicted. Expand
JmellmanApr 1, 2014
Totally entertaining and surprising. It was a perfect popcorn movie and nothing more. Great cast and just like going on an amusement ride. Of course it's not deep or meaningful -- if I wanted that, there are plenty of other films out there.
moonman1994Mar 13, 2014
Although certainly entertaining and with a great cast Now You See Me has a multitude of problems. One of the most notable is how generally dislikable many of the characters are (especially Ruffalo's character). Also the action sequences seemAlthough certainly entertaining and with a great cast Now You See Me has a multitude of problems. One of the most notable is how generally dislikable many of the characters are (especially Ruffalo's character). Also the action sequences seem a bit ridiculous considering that it's magicians that are being chased. Not to mention that the twist is idiotic and not all that surprising and it leads to an even less satisfying ending. That said the magic and heist scenes are well done and fun to watch. Expand
MovieGuysMar 8, 2014
Now You See Me is a very entertaining and fun movie to watch, with a pretty good twist at the end (no spoilers), but the movie fails to convince us of its premise.
Gamer147Feb 26, 2014
Man, everytime I see the 'professional' reviews I cringe, this movie was terrific, intricate and very captivating. I was prepared to give this one a 7 or an 8, but the resolution was way better than I thought. Enjoyed thoroughly, some reallyMan, everytime I see the 'professional' reviews I cringe, this movie was terrific, intricate and very captivating. I was prepared to give this one a 7 or an 8, but the resolution was way better than I thought. Enjoyed thoroughly, some really neat twists, and believable characters; what more could you want from a movie? Expand
Sharkyx1Feb 19, 2014
Entirely subpar in every aspect. The story is a weak heist meets Robin Hood, meets magic mix, and the magic is meant to be illusions. The plot annoyingly relies on shear luck to get through any situations, although the 8/10 cast, try as theyEntirely subpar in every aspect. The story is a weak heist meets Robin Hood, meets magic mix, and the magic is meant to be illusions. The plot annoyingly relies on shear luck to get through any situations, although the 8/10 cast, try as they might cant bring this movie up from its score,

4/10 its a little below average, due to the twist that makes most of the story pointless and uninteresting story throughout.
yousaf2kJan 16, 2014
The story of the film is excellent including direction, cinematography and stunts all are excellent. I less often see that much entertaining movie. I highly recommend this movie. Please watch and enjoy this movie.
toliverjohnJan 7, 2014
I would have to agree with the average viewers score of 6.9. I know that professional reviewers think each movie needs to be like something from film school. I look for a video that is entertaining. I believe this movie is very entertaining.
python2000Jan 3, 2014
Founder of Facebook Jesse Eisenberg stars alongside Isla Fisher, Woody Harrelson and Dave Franco as the Four Horsemen a group of criminal magicians. Mark Ruffalo gives a brilliant performance as the Interpol agent Dylan Rhodes trying to trackFounder of Facebook Jesse Eisenberg stars alongside Isla Fisher, Woody Harrelson and Dave Franco as the Four Horsemen a group of criminal magicians. Mark Ruffalo gives a brilliant performance as the Interpol agent Dylan Rhodes trying to track them down. And just to top it all off Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine star as money grabbing bastards.

Most of the cast do a good job. Following Zombieland Woody Harrelson and Jesse Eisenberg have obvious chemistry, some of their conversations are actually very funny. The other two horsemen Isla Fisher and Dave Franco are nothing special, but not bad. No surprise Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine are extremely entertaining especially when on screen together. But the star of the show is definitely Bruce Banner himself Mark Ruffalo. Some of his dialogue is very cheesy, so he performs the dialogue in such a good way that it doesn't bother you. Undoubtedly the strongest performance in the whole movie. It's just the way that his character was used which pisses me off.

Up until the last ten minutes all is well. The plot has been cleverly written and sort of makes sense. Most of the loose ends have been tied up, even if they have not been resolved in a very good way. Then the major twist happens and it's ****

***SPOILER ALERT***

It turns out that Mark Ruffalo's character (not The Incredible Hulk) was the mastermind behind the whole conspiracy all along. And his reasons for this are that his Dad gave him a watch the day he died. The twist felt so forced and so unrealistic that it almost the whole movie. Why would Dylan Rhodes bother leading the case trying to track down the four horsemen if he was behind it? Why didn't he tell the magicians who he was and make it all so much easier? Why did he purposely cause car accidents and possibly kill innocent people? Why did he randomly hang around at that abandoned fairground at the end of the movie? It would have been better if the movie just finished when the magicians jumped off the roof and turned into money. That would have been awesome! But instead they had to go all Oceans Eleven on us.

Overall Now You See Me is a decent movie with a brilliant plot and interesting characters, but a very disappointing and cliched twist which took the magic out of it all. (See what I did there).
Spider1775Dec 24, 2013
I rarely see bad movies in theaters, I rarely do, but I was forced to watch this, THIS, due to a theater that was so poor on selection, I only picked it because it was the best movie I could think and wasn't a sequel. Oh God, why didn't II rarely see bad movies in theaters, I rarely do, but I was forced to watch this, THIS, due to a theater that was so poor on selection, I only picked it because it was the best movie I could think and wasn't a sequel. Oh God, why didn't I just swallow up my idea of watching all movies before sequels and watch like Fast and Furious 5 or 6, because this is the worst I've seen this year, I know it's probably not the worst of the year for most, but since I don't see many bad ones, this is. This movie manages to somehow suck away all of the talent of it's (admittedly charming) cast, and makes them all either repeating a movie they've already been in (Mark Ruffalo) or just sucks away any of their charm or wit (Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher, Woody Harrelson). It's horribly structured, poorly edited, and clumsily executed, however, the biggest error in this disaster heist movie is that it never, NEVER EVER EVER EVER, EXPLAINS WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING, You will constantly be wondering about plot motivations, character motivations, how someone is still alive, how a plan worked, why in the hell would anyone do this, what sense does that make, why, OH WHY, can't these people just sit down, and talk about exposition that we need, not exposition that we don't, somehow, it has a talent of having too MUCH plot, or NO plot at all. This movie is a statistical anomaly, and not in the good way, so just stay away, what ever you do, just stay far away from this film which will bring questions to your head, and not of the thought-provoking kind Expand
XiaojueDec 13, 2013
Really hated this movie. It's been months since I've seen it, but whilst browsing youtube I was reminded of this piece of turd and feel the need to vent. I've never been to a movie and felt so awful after walking out. Even my friend who wasReally hated this movie. It's been months since I've seen it, but whilst browsing youtube I was reminded of this piece of turd and feel the need to vent. I've never been to a movie and felt so awful after walking out. Even my friend who was super excited to see this film looked at me in the middle of the climax and said "this is really bad". I hated the characters. They were slick and arrogant, con men and thieves but of course they turn out to have hearts of gold and help people get back at evil corporations. The motivation for the main character is so laughably weak I'm left wondering if this movie is suppose to be a satire of bad action movies. The characters were really bland and the plot is super predictable. Although I have to admit I didn't see the plot twist coming, but that's because despite how bad the movie was I didn't think it was going to be that bad. However, The brilliant film makers proved me wrong and overturned whatever little they established in the movie and quickly crammed a whole new back story/character motivation in the final five minutes. I honestly can't say I'm surprised either, I was in such an emotional limbo I couldn't bring myself to care. Expand
ClemenDec 12, 2013
From the beginning to the end, the movie is packed with tension that leave you at the end of your seat. Generally public) this movie is great but to Magicians fanatics or critics this might not be a great movie. Its
all about the appeal.
all about the appeal. Great movie!
ManasWWMNov 30, 2013
Given the characters in it,I kind of expected more from this one.Over-exaggeration,inflation,underestimating the IQ of viewers are some of the biggest mistakes of this movie.They tired pulling out The prestige and Italian Job in this one andGiven the characters in it,I kind of expected more from this one.Over-exaggeration,inflation,underestimating the IQ of viewers are some of the biggest mistakes of this movie.They tired pulling out The prestige and Italian Job in this one and just got stuck on The Cabin in the Woods i.e Insanity.Some scenes just make you feel "are the police and other guys so dumb!"I am giving a 4 just for the crew..out of which 3 are for Morgan Freeman Expand
eagleeyevikingNov 29, 2013
Although it suffers from a flat ending and can't help feel fictional, Now You See Me provides great visuals and some smart twists (not the last one!) to succeed.
SwatiNov 25, 2013
Highly unrealistic and implausible. There were plenty of good enjoyable moments though, but I feel like if I hadn't watched it I wouldn't have missed much. Spend your time elsewhere on better movies, or read a book.
InverseCriticNov 2, 2013
This is the best movie of 2013, period. From start to finish, everything in this movie is top notch. Humour, script, acting, twists, flash, music, characters, plot, originality, and especially excitement. I haven't seen a heist film this goodThis is the best movie of 2013, period. From start to finish, everything in this movie is top notch. Humour, script, acting, twists, flash, music, characters, plot, originality, and especially excitement. I haven't seen a heist film this good since Charlie Croker's italian gold heist ten years ago. If you give this movie below a 5, chances are I'm gonna want to debate and question you. Expand
R3VEIWRNov 2, 2013
One of the worst movies I have seen this year, two hours of my life that I will never get back. The entire cast just did this film for a paycheck. The real magic trick was taking my money.
andrewgarcia732Nov 1, 2013
And whether you like it or not, a sequel is being planned!

StevenFNov 1, 2013
This magician-fuelled attempt at being a thriller constantly reminds the viewer that while something is going on here, the real thing is going on elsewhere, a distraction if you will. Well this whole film, enjoyable yet shallow, is a constantThis magician-fuelled attempt at being a thriller constantly reminds the viewer that while something is going on here, the real thing is going on elsewhere, a distraction if you will. Well this whole film, enjoyable yet shallow, is a constant distraction, it has a lot of flashing lights and booming music to draw the attention away from a plot that is drawn out to be very complex when, it actual fact, is quite straightforward. It always makes a point of blowing every single detail out of proportion to the point where there are intentional moments to throw the viewer of a scent, a scent that is honestly not that difficult to follow. There is a star cast to back up such a colourful show, Jesse Eisenberg, Isla Fisher, Woody Harrelson and Dave Franco call themselves the Four Horsemen, we see them going about their day to day trickery as street hustlers and con artists, until they are mysteriously brought together as a collective group, Atlas is the showman and illusionist (Eisenberg), Merritt (Harrelson) is the mentalist who has quite a funny opening scene with a woman and her cheating husband, Henley (Fisher) is a beautiful escape artist while Jack (Franco) is a pickpocket and quite the entertaining fighter as well. As these four are brought together and financed by the shady Tressler (Michael Caine), they pull off a ban heist from their Las Vegas show, yet the heist happens in France, after they ‘teleported’ a man from their show to the vault of said bank. What then ensues is a race against time for the viewer, to see if they can outsmart the writers and get to the finish line of the whole plot, the illusions continue but no clear or reasonable motives ever seem to be present, the film definitely lacks in cause for these characters, particularly the role of Thaddeus (Morgan Freeman), a man who makes a living out of debunking magicians, who then decides to help out the FBI agent Rhodes (Mark Ruffalo) to bring down these magicians, only problem being they cannot figure out what their next move will be. As often impressive as the film looks and feels, it never seems anything more than just that, a nice shiny car that has no engine, it lacks the proper character direction, these four talented individuals show no real inclination of why they so desperately want to evade the police and put on a good show, no backstory whatsoever. But despite that, the talent playing them are bang on the mark in bringing a unique approach to each performance, confidence and wonderful trickery often ensues, but can get a bit long in the tooth as there is little point to a lot of it. This is certainly a flashy and in your face technique, delivered through a lot of dizzy camera movements and showmanship, yet drag it all away and there is still something worth seeing here, but it gets lost in all the glamour of trying to put on a big show, this ultimately prevents the film from being as enjoyable as it could have been, it has its thrills, but tries too hard to deliver more in the process. Expand
greygooseOct 31, 2013
You will not get the time you spend watching this movie back. I just feel bad that Morgan Freeman spent even more of it to make this slick looking, but stupid, stupid movie.
adhamhanyOct 24, 2013
Well, it had good enough twists, as well as good acting from most of the cast. However, the plot left a lot of questions unanswered or answered unclearly. It was a good movie. I was just expecting something better.
joao1198pedroOct 16, 2013
this movie had great actors that I'm a fan and an interesting plot about magic, but the movie is very boring and is full of things quite annoying part until the end was good but the tail end collapsed the entire movie.
MikefromAngusOct 13, 2013
Intellectually insulting, The story felt like it was written as they were shooting the movie! as did the twists and turns. I couldn't believe people are rating this movie so high!
yogeshsinghOct 13, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. expected a much better end....
Anyway i enjoyed movie, but i was expecting more.
I couldn't understand why these people done all that .
As long as they doesn't reveal the man it was a way better.
Suddenly everything spoiled
puddingpiepoperOct 11, 2013
This was an absolute awful movie, I know what they tried to do but my god could any movie fall any shorter from the mark, the CGI was garbage, the "Magic tricks" was just a bunch of mombo jumbo. I wish i never rented it...
StaticSpineOct 8, 2013
Good story with some twists and a slight touch of fiction, a lot of nice actors and characters. All the thing is about tricks, magic and illusions and a criminal element of epic robberies. Nice one to watch, most of the plot details are wellGood story with some twists and a slight touch of fiction, a lot of nice actors and characters. All the thing is about tricks, magic and illusions and a criminal element of epic robberies. Nice one to watch, most of the plot details are well explained. Expand
sammieteeOct 6, 2013
Now You See Me was an enjoyable movie while you are watching but it leaves no lasting effects. I really enjoyed the 4 main characters and how well they worked together. The plot was actually interesting and it had some cool twist (which wereNow You See Me was an enjoyable movie while you are watching but it leaves no lasting effects. I really enjoyed the 4 main characters and how well they worked together. The plot was actually interesting and it had some cool twist (which were kind of predictable). It's everything you want in a lazy Sunday afternoon movie on the couch. Expand
LivingDead9812Oct 6, 2013
MY THINK
Now you see me one of the best movies i ve ever seen because the cast, acting, ending, fiction, story and writing
OK this movie had some nonsense moments but almost every movie have some nonsense Don't worry if u planning to
MY THINK
Don't worry if u planning to watching this movie you will absolutely love it so entertaining movie
GoldenGreenSep 30, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I did have high hopes when I entered the cinema to see this movie; one of my friends had said it was 'amazing', and as I trusted his judgement, I thought I would see just how good it was. For the first 45 minutes or so, I was reasonably impressed. The bank heist I thought was igneous, and the way it had been explained to the audience well measured. The words of the characters 'this is only the beginning', or whatever it was, awoke my curiousity, and that attention was reasonably maintained until afterwards the New Orleans scene.

And then it fell to exactly the same fate that many other movies have done, and hence is the origin of my low scoring. It became unoriginal to the point of disgust, and for the last forty minutes (I know it was forty minutes because I was constantly checking my watch) I was thinking to myself "how could I have not seen before how utterly terrible this film is?". There were signs before that I ignored, dismissing them as one of a couple of cliches all modern films inevitably have. The most prominent is the female police character I have forgotten her name. Her character is perhaps the most uninteresting, cliched, predictable character type. From the moment she uttered her first lines, you know EXACTLY what her character is going to be like. On the exterior somewhat unimpressive, but supremely confident. Full of witty lines, becomes serious when she needs to be, tells emotional stories that have some 'hidden meaning', and of course she and the investigator (again, I forgotten the name, I'll call him X) have a relationship. After all of my expectations were fulfilled, I became so disgusted with this movie. It actually truly confuses me these directors, filmmakers, actors, producers, have all seen more movies than I, and would surely know how to construct a good movie. WHY would you have her conform to every cliche in the book? Surely, after viewing it, you know how retch-inducing it? Maybe someday I'll know. To bring this into some perspective, the exact same thing happened in The Dark Knight Rises, with the character of Cat woman, and is the one of the reasons I detest that movie as well. Contrastingly, The Dark Knight is one of my favourite films of all time. It just goes to show what difference originality makes in the making of a film. Or if not complete originality, not complete cliched material.

That character epitomises many of the similar things wrong with this movie the annoyingly 'witty' dialog between the mentalist and Jesse Eisenberg, the unintelligent lines of X, the lame plot involving the Magic Circle or whatever its called, with the dusty old book, and finally the ending. Perhaps the reason why this ending is without doubt, the worst I have ever seen, is that it tears the entire film apart. Looking back at all the action, not one line, or event, even makes sense, as it turns out the policeman is actually the one helping them? What? The film just self-destructs for this very reason. Again, I shall provide some perspective. After watching NYSM, I watched Ocean's Eleven and the difference was laughable. It's not just the sophistication, the characterisation of the latter, but the ending. The ending of Ocean's Eleven is clever, the rest of the film works perfectly, and you marvel in the ingenuity of the heist. By contrast, Ocean's Twelve self-destructs in a similar way to this film the last five minutes just renders the previous hour watched absolutely useless. It makes the audience feels like they've been tricked no, it does not make one marvel.

I did give this a 4, and the actual method of the heist (especially the last and first one) are reasonably ingenious, meriting some score. But what promise this movie did have was primarily destroyed as some many films are nowadays, by the loss of originality and the way in which everything it in characters, events, dialogue is cliched and predictable.
RolentoSep 26, 2013
The idea was pretty neat and some things were funny I guess, but this movie was bad. It was pretty much all a big buildup to a totally arbitrary plot twist, and that's one of the worst things I can think of in writing anything. The finalThe idea was pretty neat and some things were funny I guess, but this movie was bad. It was pretty much all a big buildup to a totally arbitrary plot twist, and that's one of the worst things I can think of in writing anything. The final resolution of the plot was... I don't know, it felt bland... as bland as the whole "Eye" (sub?)plot and the character of the detective which didn't make much sense in any of its doings in the plot. I would also dare say that it had little to do with magicians... but I guess I couldn't expect explaining tricks/making plausible ones while still making them really interesting from a mainstream movie, and I guess "magicians" played this way is fine too, but... meh. It was entertaining as a light-entertainment action movie I guess, but other than that it was all a big waste of a good basis for a plot and a good cast. Expand
Kevbo85Sep 26, 2013
It frankly doesn't surprise me that this film has received more positive than negative feedback; it gives an audience almost everything the trailers and cast lead them to believe they'll get. Plenty of twists, turns, face time with noteworthyIt frankly doesn't surprise me that this film has received more positive than negative feedback; it gives an audience almost everything the trailers and cast lead them to believe they'll get. Plenty of twists, turns, face time with noteworthy actors and a story that doesn't force you to believe in magic in order to believe what's happening on screen. All that being said, there is a minority of viewers, myself included, who know they could have done much more with all the talent and potential lying within Now You See Me...or maybe they couldn't, and shouldn't have bothered to try.

I'm hesitant to say the movie is bad, because deep down it truly isn't. Everyone, from Woody Harrelson to Michael Caine and every name-drop in between does their job and fits in snug with what's going on. Somewhere between the intriguing first 20 minutes and the disappointing last hour or so, I kept asking myself, "why am I not enjoying this?" The answer? It could have been so much more.

Hasty references to the "why" of it all do nothing to satisfy the curiosity of the curious, and when the final credits rolled, I realized that this was the point all along. Even after the major reveal takes place and you finally understand the "how", the "why" never materializes. The introduction of the film makes that question the focal point, and the rest of the film does its best to make you forget you ever had the question in your head to begin with.

Again, I can understand the praise, but I felt as if left the theater having been cheated out of my money. Considering a couple of the main scenes in the film, perhaps this was the filmmakers' entire goal to begin with. It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Regardless, most people seemed to enjoy it, so there's no reason to bash it any further than by saying it simply wasn't what I wanted it to be. It happens sometimes.
SchroederRockSep 25, 2013
A very enjoyable film that rests more on movie magic more than believable world-stage showcases in which Now You See Me spends most of its time focusing on. Still, Now You See Me hits a certain chord that resonates quite well with a plotA very enjoyable film that rests more on movie magic more than believable world-stage showcases in which Now You See Me spends most of its time focusing on. Still, Now You See Me hits a certain chord that resonates quite well with a plot that actually ends up being interesting instead of hollow and pointless, which could have easily been the case. It's the Prestige with more flash but a bit less substance. Even so, it's easy to argue that just because it's not always perfect, doesn't mean you still can't have a lot of fun. The cast and lights draw you in and the pacing is swift enough to not make you feel like you need additional character development. I loved Now You See Me, and many others will too. Expand
JoseloSep 21, 2013
Una historia que se esforzó demasiado por ser más inteligente de lo que realmente es. Presentándonos la mayor cantidad de cliché que pueden existir en un libreto. Que tratan de robar nuestro aliento llevándose un bostezo. No me pareció algoUna historia que se esforzó demasiado por ser más inteligente de lo que realmente es. Presentándonos la mayor cantidad de cliché que pueden existir en un libreto. Que tratan de robar nuestro aliento llevándose un bostezo. No me pareció algo fuera de lo normal, más bien me pareció una película que se puede ver en la comodidad del hogar. Aclarando que sin una bolsa de popcorn lo que mencioné anteriormente es debatible. Es más impresionante ver un espectáculo de magos en vivo, que un espectáculo de magos en una película donde todo es posible. ¿Por qué me tiene que impresionar un grupo de magos que gozan de toda la magia del cine a su favor? Expand
JorgeKaramSep 20, 2013
This is a movie to entertain, Nothing else. Average writing, average performances, and an awful plot. Jesse Eisenberg giving an average performance or even lower. The same with James Franco, Mélanie Laurent and Isla Fisher. Woody HarrelsonThis is a movie to entertain, Nothing else. Average writing, average performances, and an awful plot. Jesse Eisenberg giving an average performance or even lower. The same with James Franco, Mélanie Laurent and Isla Fisher. Woody Harrelson and Morgan Freeman stepping up with a performance that save the film from being a total failure. I know, it was fun to watch but if you can analyze this film after watching it, its nothing more than a Louis Leterrier. Expand
MorriBeySep 15, 2013
Horrid. Its ccomes across as an arrogant movie which one is supposed to suspend all belief in order to enjoy it. May be find for cult members but the general public dont buy it.
RazvSep 12, 2013
Great movie. I didn't go in expecting very much, and it pleasantly surprised me. The actors are top-notch and the story-line is very interesting (even though, at times, very predictable). The only big minus would be that they didn't focusGreat movie. I didn't go in expecting very much, and it pleasantly surprised me. The actors are top-notch and the story-line is very interesting (even though, at times, very predictable). The only big minus would be that they didn't focus more on the magicians. I would've loved to see more interactions and more situations between them. Overall, a very good movie! Expand
AnnthiswaySep 12, 2013
Pretty nice movie. Really nice magic tricks. Ah, and i also loved the music of this (i mean a soundtrack). I love magic and magicians, this movie was really pretty nice. 2 months ago i watched it and i loved it.
I highly recommend it to you
I highly recommend it to you if you especially love magicians and magic tricks.
Bruce722Sep 8, 2013
Now You See Me might have the most misleading trailers of all-time. The previews make you think that story follow the four magicians, played by Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, and Dave Franco. However, the characters with theNow You See Me might have the most misleading trailers of all-time. The previews make you think that story follow the four magicians, played by Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, and Dave Franco. However, the characters with the most screen time are actually an FBI agent played by Mark Ruffalo, an interpol agent played by Melanie Laurent, and a washed up magician played by Morgan Freeman. Guess what? I didn't know any of those actors were even in the movie. The movie also didn't seem to have an identity. It constantly jumped back and forth between magic not being real and then certain things not being possible without magic. This constant uncertainty from the film's perspective created a lazy feeling in the script. As for the individual characters, Woody was hilarious, Isla was absolutely gorgeous, and Eisenberg was, well, the same character he always is. Which reminds me, can we stop calling Jesse Eisenberg a great actor? The kid plays the exact same role every single time and that's who he is in real life. He isn't "acting", he's just playing himself in different situations. Back to the movie, it had decent plot development but with so many characters involved, none of them were really fleshed out properly. Lastly, it had the typical twist in the end that's become almost cliched where it wasn't written into the story well but just forced on the viewer. All-in-all, if you want to be mildly entertained with over-the-top magic tricks and a chaotic story and then toss in a romance for no reason, this is the movie for you. Expand
JuBeSep 8, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a decently rewarding film–the final reveal is somewhat surprising and there are numerous scenes with very pretty cinematography. That being said, it is cheapened by two things: the unnecessary use of CGI in certain acts, and the romance forced upon the audience. While it is somewhat helpful to the narrative to have the character of Alma Dray (played by Mélanie Laurent) make it appear that Dylan Rhodes (played by Mark Ruffalo) is even more incompetent/out of his league, the romance is not. The Alma Dray component could have been played by a lesbian or heterosexual male agent (the point isn't the sexuality, just that closing off the potential for the any sort of romance wouldn't have hurt the purpose of the Dray character... hell just make her faithfully married for all I care). Or if you really want, let those characters partake in a romance in the world of this story...just don't show it to the audience. The tension, the lines, and the story between the two is patently forced...to then end on that note is to illogically end on a weaker "punch" for the movie. Expand
sporlockSep 8, 2013
Horrible! This movie is the turd in the spiked punch bowel. Excellent cast, interesting subject that somehow managed to thoroughly and completely jump the shark! They did a pretty good of building anticipation that SOMETHING interesting wasHorrible! This movie is the turd in the spiked punch bowel. Excellent cast, interesting subject that somehow managed to thoroughly and completely jump the shark! They did a pretty good of building anticipation that SOMETHING interesting was coming....just stick with us...we know the movie doesn't make a whole lot of sense yet, but SOMETHING is going to happen just hang in there......That something didn't help the movie make anymore sense, served to make everyone in the room stop the movie and stay...HUH???? WHY??

It completely jumped the shark and made the entire movie pointless. It's like they threw the plot lines into a hat, shook them up and reached and and grabbed 3 and said OK, THAT'S THE MOVIE! We will dazzle them with shock and awe, nobody will care about the plot! It didn't work in Iraq, and it doesn't work for this movie. Simply horrid. Stay far far away, it will only serve to piss you off trying to figure out how this ever made sense to anyone not high on dope.
is_isSep 7, 2013
Wanna see a magic trick that's only possible via computer graphics? Suffer through Now You See Me. The music and sweeping camera does all it can to make you care, but since little time is spent developing the four horsemen characters, youWanna see a magic trick that's only possible via computer graphics? Suffer through Now You See Me. The music and sweeping camera does all it can to make you care, but since little time is spent developing the four horsemen characters, you really can't be bothered. This movie will drag you around back and fourth in an attempt to throw you off, but when the big reveal comes, all you can think about is how meaningless it turned out to be.

Also, what the heck is with all the occult references that turn out to be meaningless. Randomly chosen tarot cards, weird uneducated references to the eye of horus, four horsemen? It's like they pulled this stuff out of a hat and stuck them in the script to create a cheap sense of mystery.
KillerSloSep 7, 2013
Who ever gives this movie less then a 8, well then he just didn't understand it. The movie is well executed has a a lot of twist's and interesting magic scenes some action as well, and the actors are just fantastic
AlexProductionsSep 7, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing. That is the one word I use to describe to quality and high end CGI (Computer-Generated Imagery) effects in Now You See Me. This movie puts into reality what magic will turn into years from now. Big stage effects, using magic to rob banks and transport people. We have big names featured in this movie such as Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Dave Franco, Mark Ruffalo, Isla Fisher, Morgan Freeman, and many more.

The movie starts introducing us to all of the magicians featured like Daniel Atlas (Jesse Eisenberg) doing an amazing card trick (that I still can't figure out) and impressing some young girls. All four street magicians receive special cards with an address to meet up at. This is how they started their hit show, known as "The Four Horseman."

The Horseman, at their packed Las Vegas Show picking a supposedly random audience member, having him state his bank, and then teleported to rob the whole bank. When the bank opens in the morning, they see the money missing and take all the magicians to prison to be questioned. As magic plays a big role in the movie, Daniel pulls off an amazing trick flipping the handcuffs off of him and onto Dylan Rhodes. (Mark Ruffalo) I think that this is one of my favorite parts of the movie because (being a former magician) tricks like these can actually be done.

Throughout the Four Horseman’s performances, Thaddeus Bradley (Morgan Freeman) has a TV show that busts their tricks every episode. During the movie, the Horseman perform more elaborate tricks and they are busted by Thaddeus.

The movie blew the audience away with a mind-blowing turn the film took and had an amazing ending. This is a film I had a lot of questions about when it was over. Even paying full attention I was not sure about some events. I think this may have been just because I am a teen, but Now You See Me is my movie of the year pick and I definitely recommend it to any demographic. If you pay attention, Now You See Me will reward.
RevRonSep 6, 2013
There's no doubt the film has a few issues. There are some plotlines that are poorly established and are left unresolved and the female characters lack any real definition and act more as side players when they should be just as prominent asThere's no doubt the film has a few issues. There are some plotlines that are poorly established and are left unresolved and the female characters lack any real definition and act more as side players when they should be just as prominent as the men. However, "Now You See Me" provides fun entertainment with it's "Ocean's Eleven" with magic formula. The story is easy to get behind, the illusions in the film are crafty and neat and the actors are fantastic...especially Mark Ruffalo who, once again, steals the film and commands attention. Expand
alis956Sep 4, 2013
"Now You See Me" one of the best movie I have seen this year. I really loved it so much and enjoyed the time watching it. Amazing one they deserved 10/10
MamaTLFAug 30, 2013
Movie is thrilling, exciting and when I watched it i couldn't wait to see what will happen next. Dialogue was good made me laugh many times as well as the action scenes. Overall the move is very good, if you ignore the end. You get thisMovie is thrilling, exciting and when I watched it i couldn't wait to see what will happen next. Dialogue was good made me laugh many times as well as the action scenes. Overall the move is very good, if you ignore the end. You get this character development of a sceptic FBI agent that is good at his job and at the end his personality goes 180 and you see the entire plot, scenes, dialogs (what made this movie as excellent as it is) as fake. If you want to see the movie again, with your friends or family, you can't do it unless you ignore the ending, that you previously saw, to re experience the great plot in the first 90% part. Expand
SKELETOR420Aug 25, 2013
This is possibly the worst film i've ever seen, and i'm not saying that lightly. I cannot understand these positive reviews other than they're mentally deficient or paid to do so.

Basically the plot is a poorly executed mess. The film

Basically the plot is a poorly executed mess. The film itself lies to the audience, so when the lame twists happen they just feel like the writers trying to get back on course. It's like a script that's not gone through so much as one revised draft.

The only way to explain the cast, budget, etc. is that the film simply fell apart in production. Perhaps the emphasis was put on all the wrong aspects.

If you like this... I can't respect you. It's wholly broken. I'd sooner watch Human Centipede, Battleship or a rom com.
MattyJMAug 25, 2013
Terrible Movie however it's weirdly entertaining.
What was the whole point in the movie? (spoiler alert)
Terrible Movie however it's weirdly entertaining.
What was the whole point in the movie? (spoiler alert)
Mark Ruffalo spent 30 years working his way up in the FBI to exact revenge on some people who were in no way responsible for the death of his father. Is it just me that thinks it stupid that mark ruffalo wants to put Morgan Freeman in prison for simple telling people how his dad did a magic trick, how all of Micheal Cains money is stolen because he didn't pay out on an insurance claim and how they stole half a billion dollars because the company made a safe below standard?
And as for the ending……
So mark ruffalo was part of 'the eye' and the four horsemen for no apparent reason put themselves into the public eye as wanted criminals to become part of a secret society. The four horseman have given up their whole lives to help Mark Ruffalo for no reason at all apart from being initiated into a secret society, again which they will gain nothing from.
So in conclusion: incredibly far-fetched and far to complicated for no reason, there was no character development and in my opinion one of the worst and most pointless movies i have seen in years….
csw12Aug 25, 2013
A movie that starts promising and quickly fizzles into nothing. The real magicians are the people behind the film, which did a very good job at distracting you from shallow characters, a movie that had zero plot and making you think you sawA movie that starts promising and quickly fizzles into nothing. The real magicians are the people behind the film, which did a very good job at distracting you from shallow characters, a movie that had zero plot and making you think you saw something great. Expand
film_bugAug 25, 2013
What a mind-boggling film! I was at the edge of my seat the entire time, wondering what had happened and who's who. The story is so interesting. The cast is so talented. There's really nothing not to love!
ehserAug 25, 2013
First, I was excited because I like magic and I like bank heists. But then it all came down in a big crumble. There is no character development throughout the movie. There was no real good guys or real bad guys, which made is very subtile andFirst, I was excited because I like magic and I like bank heists. But then it all came down in a big crumble. There is no character development throughout the movie. There was no real good guys or real bad guys, which made is very subtile and took the suspense out completely. Nothing more Tuesday night lullaby. Expand
DJKneegrowAug 24, 2013
For those who have not seen this movie and want a opinion of someone who watches movies quite often and has a real feel for more than what you see here is and honest view of this movie.

I went into this movie thinking it would be very

I went into this movie thinking it would be very entertaining and the special effects would be great. Knowing how magicians work, just from seeing David Copperfield and a few others in person, I knew it would be over the top scenes and hoped they would be entertaining. What I didn't expect was to see a movie with a creative plot and actors who fit their characters as well as everyone did. I could not see Woody Harrelson being anyone other than who he played, and the same goes for Michael Caine, Mark Ruffalo, and Morgan Freeman along with the rest of the 4 Horsemen. As far as the story went it was well played out and kept me watching to see more and wanting more. There are a few moments when you probably know what is going to happen, but the movie doesn't give away too much which made it great in that aspect. From the first scene to the last I was very pleased with how the movie flowed and never did I feel that parts of it were over the top or stupid by any means. This was one of the better movies I have seen in the last 3 years and for me that is saying something big.

Now for anyone who gives this movie a bad rating or said it was horrible, I only ask what do you want from big named movies out of Hollywood anymore? With so many prequels, sequels, and money grabbers over the last decade what do you expect to get for movies? It is coming to the point where original ideas are not thought up every 2 years anymore and it is more like 7 years apart. Everything has been done to the point of overkill in many instances. Know You See Me was fresh and well thought out which makes this a great movie. So many movies are made after books, comics, tv shows, or plain remakes of movies from 20+ years ago that having a movie like this come along is a refreshing new twist on older material.

Overall enjoy the movie for what it is, a great story with twists and awesome action and effects and I guarantee you will enjoy it.
imthenoobAug 24, 2013
A seriously underrated film. The acting was pretty solid through out Harrelson was hilarious, Freeman was solid, and Ruffalo was a good lead, The rest of the cast was solid as well. Incredibly entertaining movie with well done magic tricks,A seriously underrated film. The acting was pretty solid through out Harrelson was hilarious, Freeman was solid, and Ruffalo was a good lead, The rest of the cast was solid as well. Incredibly entertaining movie with well done magic tricks, From start to finish I was entertained. The best part of the film however was the plot. Very well done with a twist you do not see coming at all, It was a great end to the film in my opinion. I'd highly recommend. Expand
PunkmailAug 23, 2013
If only this movie would've disappeared in front of my eyes. The only magic thing about this is how people are going to give their money to this crap.
charleskiAug 22, 2013
Relies far too much on unconvincing 'magic'. The producers pushed the boat out too far, filling the movie with a collection of tricks that would have required extensive setup in reality, but appear out of thin air. As a result, the mainRelies far too much on unconvincing 'magic'. The producers pushed the boat out too far, filling the movie with a collection of tricks that would have required extensive setup in reality, but appear out of thin air. As a result, the main characters come across as little more than a bunch of talentless, arrogant twits coasting through a CGI playground. Tedious, boring, and ultimately far too obvious. Expand
GingerFuryAug 21, 2013
"All flash and no trousers" A weird saying, but who's Father isn't full of oddness? Mine certainly was and he used this expression regularly when something was, basically, bollocks. Now You See Me falls in to this category. Cool cast,"All flash and no trousers" A weird saying, but who's Father isn't full of oddness? Mine certainly was and he used this expression regularly when something was, basically, bollocks. Now You See Me falls in to this category. Cool cast, flashy effects, great locations, mixed with a predictable story line, average script and some truly wooden performances Dave Franco, I'm looking at you.

It's mindless entertainment for the masses. Avoid paying cinema ticket price, perhaps watch for free when it hits your PTV provider; provided you are fully up to date with your TV series viewing....
chepod8Aug 8, 2013
Do we like the magic? Yes, Do we like the heist movies? Of course, Do we like the movies with a big cast? Sometimes, and the movie indeed is a kind of spin-off of the Ocean's Eleven's movies but with magic, so if everybody loves the magic,Do we like the magic? Yes, Do we like the heist movies? Of course, Do we like the movies with a big cast? Sometimes, and the movie indeed is a kind of spin-off of the Ocean's Eleven's movies but with magic, so if everybody loves the magic, what can be wrong with the plot, right? Expand
Rainbow_LizardAug 4, 2013
A great movie with lots of surprises with some good morally ambiguous elements and characters that make you question who's right and who's wrong. The cop may be an but that's probably intentional. You could have known many of the twists wereA great movie with lots of surprises with some good morally ambiguous elements and characters that make you question who's right and who's wrong. The cop may be an but that's probably intentional. You could have known many of the twists were coming if you were smart, but much of it plays with your expectations. My only complaint was the 3rd magician introduced (The one that faked his own death) was a bit bland ad underdeveloped. Expand
ReynmeykaaAug 4, 2013
My expectations weren't so high and I got what I wanted. A great plot with good twists and good acting performances. Sometimes it felt like I was watching a mix of the Usual Suspects and the Prestige. It may not be the best of the year butMy expectations weren't so high and I got what I wanted. A great plot with good twists and good acting performances. Sometimes it felt like I was watching a mix of the Usual Suspects and the Prestige. It may not be the best of the year but it's definitely fun to see Expand