Universal Pictures | Release Date: April 19, 2013
7.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 1037 Ratings
WATCH NOW
IloveelijahwoodJul 11, 2013
This movie fell so flat its not even funny! It had horrible acting, a boring plot and characters that no one even cares about. Don't waste your money on this movie!
David_HApr 23, 2013
It's not all bad, the scenery and special effects were excellent, as were the two female Costars. I was also pleasantly surprised to see the Danish actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who did a good job as a sidekick to Morgan Freeman and has gainedIt's not all bad, the scenery and special effects were excellent, as were the two female Costars. I was also pleasantly surprised to see the Danish actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, who did a good job as a sidekick to Morgan Freeman and has gained recent notoriety in the Game of Thrones show.
The bad was that of course we've seen this post-apocalyptic plot regurgitated so many times in a few weeks you will have trouble remembering what stood out about this film.
Finally, the really ugly is Hollywood's continuous insult to our intelligence when casting lead actors. America is so deeply weary of being reminded Tom Cruise is the most amazing man in the universe... Note to Hollywood: please give Cruise a rest.
VorlargenApr 30, 2013
Once again Hollywood spends all their money on effects and ignores the script. The result? A poor story that fails to grab, meandering scenes that go no where and the usual collection of cheesy lines. I dry reached when he said he wasOnce again Hollywood spends all their money on effects and ignores the script. The result? A poor story that fails to grab, meandering scenes that go no where and the usual collection of cheesy lines. I dry reached when he said he was 'home'. Hollywood seriously needs to grow up! Expand
mds03Apr 29, 2013
This is probably one of the worst science- fiction movies I have ever seen! Besides the good acting, it was confusing, boring, and just plain stupid! Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman are the only things about this movie that I actually liked.This is probably one of the worst science- fiction movies I have ever seen! Besides the good acting, it was confusing, boring, and just plain stupid! Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman are the only things about this movie that I actually liked. But trust me, their acting can't save this stinker. Expand
TheFlamiconApr 24, 2013
Oblivion was a title i had a particular interest in when i saw the trailers, especially with morgan freeman having what appeared to be an interesting character.
unfortunately...it fails to deliver in every aspect that a movie needs.
unfortunately...it fails to deliver in every aspect that a movie needs.

Oblivion is set in almost 70 years in the future after earth has been invaded, and after the war was won, earth was left ravaged causing everyone to leave to a colony on titan (one of Saturn's moons)
which had a great concept behind it, unfortunately the movie fails to capitalize on it, or even execute that story. the story takes backtracks, and then immediately changes gears for no good reason.

i've seen many people praise the twists this movie presents, however they are not as "gasp omg" as some would have you think. every twist is heavily foreshadowed at least 20 minutes before they happen. i was able to predict just about everything in this movie, without issues. and here is another problem we have. because of the movie's attempts to cash in on twists and well-known cast, the movie fails to connect the dots. no event makes sense in this film. i will not spoil details, but you should know that containment capsules don't come from tom cruise's and children aren't born because a clone happens to be on the planet and not meet the mother until after the child is born.

now we delve into the characters...there aren't any. if there are, the movie once again fails to capitalize. jack harper's back-story is manipulated in every way possible throughout the movie' and meanwhile everyone else's back-story is ignored, considered irrelevant over jack harper's character. they have little to no dialogue, and when they talk it's in cliche format. morgan's character can be estimated to be that of a wise-man set to stop gratuitous fighting on what's left of earth.

unfortunately once again, he has little to no dialogue, and the best part beyond that is that most of the characters you won't even get to see until the last 15 minutes of the film.

and now i proceed onto the setting of the film.
people have praised the visuals to no end, but what many are failing to see, is that the visuals are more given to what's not on the ground. tom cruise's suit looks like a mix between a biker suit, and softball base plates. the world is barren and undetailed. every structure is grey and hints of rust for the metal. the drones and non-earth structures; such as the tent, are admittedly visually pleasing. but these aspects play very little into the movie, as for the most part, jack is on the ground and doesn't see the drones or sophisticated machines. so it looks barren and plain..

the more i watched of this film, the lower i felt the need to rate it, it is garbage. i severely advise you not to see this film, it is 25 dollars best spent on another film.
mgastrykerApr 20, 2013
This movie started out great. An interesting back-story narrated by Tom Cruise sets up the plot perfectly. The beginning drags on for quite a while, but it is a great chance to see some great CG effects. It's about the middle of the movieThis movie started out great. An interesting back-story narrated by Tom Cruise sets up the plot perfectly. The beginning drags on for quite a while, but it is a great chance to see some great CG effects. It's about the middle of the movie when things take a turn for the worse. Sci-fi fans will love this movie, but myself not being a hardcore sci-fi fan, I have to say I was disappointed. The movie throws in twists that really have no place and the ending is just awful. This movie is full of plot holes as well and it feels like watching a five hour movie, when in reality, it is only two hours long. See this movie if you want, but my recommendation is no. Expand
Sarah_TerryApr 21, 2013
This has to be Cruise's and Freeman's worst attempt at a movie. I cannot believe the thin yet somewhat confusing plot line they contributed to. While the acting overall was good, the characters and plot was weak. The trailer tells 90% of theThis has to be Cruise's and Freeman's worst attempt at a movie. I cannot believe the thin yet somewhat confusing plot line they contributed to. While the acting overall was good, the characters and plot was weak. The trailer tells 90% of the story in 2 minutes that it took 2 hours and 6 minutes to retell in the full length epic. Hopefully both Cruise and Freeman will actually read their next script before signing the contracts! $130 million that could have been put together for a made for TV for a mere $1/2 million (assuming the actors were compensated at TV rates). Expand
DanKageakaTKApr 23, 2013
if it wasn't for the overall look, this movie would be a way worse score. the plot takes a huge dive. there are so many questions that are asked, but never really answered to the fullest, and the over all feel is just weak. the visuals areif it wasn't for the overall look, this movie would be a way worse score. the plot takes a huge dive. there are so many questions that are asked, but never really answered to the fullest, and the over all feel is just weak. the visuals are great, but the story just drags on to a unsatisfactory conclusion. Expand
JinHuApr 29, 2013
Great until the "twist" then descends into very lazy, highly clichéd, heavily borrowed story telling. It does look great, the sound production is excellent which is the part I enjoyed the very most, but that is not a great compliment to theGreat until the "twist" then descends into very lazy, highly clichéd, heavily borrowed story telling. It does look great, the sound production is excellent which is the part I enjoyed the very most, but that is not a great compliment to the story when you think about it. The visuals very much reminded me of parts of Tron:Legacy in places. I felt immediately disappointed by the clumsy first twist, why do these films try to justify themselves with pointless twists? A straight forwards story would in my opinion have worked far better.

Heavily borrows from the by far more classy and atmospheric "Moon". What a shame, I can't help thinking that a much better version was created and then dumbed down by executives that know better. Acting was ok, Morgan was very much surplus to requirements and his character could've been played by anyone, in fact it may have been more plausible if an utter unknown was used, that's not to say that Morgan is bad, it's just that the writing was rather ham-fisted rendering poor Morgan somewhat pedestrian.
jado818Apr 28, 2013
Complete yawn fest. This movie somehow makes even explosions and fighting boring. The story, if you can even call it that, is absurdly predictable. Morgan Freeman even tells you exactly how the movie will end in the first part of the movie,Complete yawn fest. This movie somehow makes even explosions and fighting boring. The story, if you can even call it that, is absurdly predictable. Morgan Freeman even tells you exactly how the movie will end in the first part of the movie, then you have to sit there and watch Tom Cruise flail about with a ludicrous and unbelievable romantic plot arc for 2 hours until the movie ends exactly how you knew it was going to.

I read the bad reviews and ignored them because I thought, "How bad can it be, I enjoy scifi B movies as it is" but no, this movie really is that bad. Save your money.
streetspiritApr 21, 2013
If more proof were needed that Hollywood has rejected plot and characterisation in favour of style then go buy a ticket for Oblivion. A soul-less, emotionless two hour snorefest. How many more times is Tom Cruise going to play a characterIf more proof were needed that Hollywood has rejected plot and characterisation in favour of style then go buy a ticket for Oblivion. A soul-less, emotionless two hour snorefest. How many more times is Tom Cruise going to play a character called Jack? How many more times is he going to play the same computer generated action hero? Truly dire. Expand
ClayMerrittApr 19, 2013
Where does one find themselves when you have "Sexy 50 year old hunk" Tom Cruise, a good story, and a somewhat good director? You get this. Had Oblivion had someone other than Tom Cruise, better direction, and a few little tweaks in the story,Where does one find themselves when you have "Sexy 50 year old hunk" Tom Cruise, a good story, and a somewhat good director? You get this. Had Oblivion had someone other than Tom Cruise, better direction, and a few little tweaks in the story, you would have gotten a really great science fiction movie. Which, by the way, is really rare considering the outlook of sci-fi movies today. All CGI, little substance. Have to say Oblivion fell into that pot. A good story isn't enough to have a good movie. You got to have a really good cast, and good direction. CGI was damn near perfect. No complaints there. Its basically Film Production 101! Whoever, at Universal Pictures, decided on what goes in the trailer, failed and pretty much did false advertising. Morgan Freeman was in the several trailers there are in the film out there. The one scene you see with him in the trailer is practically his whole part in the movie. 4 maybe 5 lines of dialogue and goodbye Mr. Freeman! This movie just wasn't believable. Extremely corny at times. Very weak. And Tom Cruise... Keep your shirt on pal. You're 50. You may still be in great shape, but you take away from the movie. Essentially, Oblivion felt like 2013 just with a destroyed America. What can you really take away from this movie? It was a technological advancement and achievement that we have not witnessed in movies since maybe Star Wars (prequels). Expand
MarinApr 20, 2013
Trash, trash, trash. Tom Cruise's acting si as disjointed from real entertainment as his real life persona is from reality. The plot is weak and lacks credibility. The best science fiction is grounded in yes -science but not in this movie.Trash, trash, trash. Tom Cruise's acting si as disjointed from real entertainment as his real life persona is from reality. The plot is weak and lacks credibility. The best science fiction is grounded in yes -science but not in this movie. The writers underscore what's wrong with American science education, They could also could use a remedial class in plot development. I hope this is the last Cruise movie we see in a while. Expand
RedwyneMay 9, 2013
nne of the most narcissistic films I have seen in years. tom cruise and the woman are the only subjects throughout the film. this is boring,no plot,a total yawn and have no idea what it was supposed to mean. you will hate yourself if you gonne of the most narcissistic films I have seen in years. tom cruise and the woman are the only subjects throughout the film. this is boring,no plot,a total yawn and have no idea what it was supposed to mean. you will hate yourself if you go to this drawn out plot less movie! I kept waiting for some story line to surface and it never did. I would urge everyone to stay home and watch advertisements on your tv,it would be better! Expand
HighLineApr 20, 2013
Oh no not another special effects laden film They are the star of the show. Tom Cruise's acting is flat. Perhaps because at 51 his days of playing Top Gun or Mission Impossible roles are behind. I've never found him to have much breadth asOh no not another special effects laden film They are the star of the show. Tom Cruise's acting is flat. Perhaps because at 51 his days of playing Top Gun or Mission Impossible roles are behind. I've never found him to have much breadth as an actor, but in the past who he really was at the time has been more consistent with the needs of the roles he played as in Jerry McGuire and Rain Man. We all grow up hopefully. He hasn't adapted Expand
incongruApr 19, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Tom 'bad acting' Cruise Matrix Moon Oblivion, a movie without flavor, which brings nothing to the scifi genre. It's post-apo but the hero has time to f*ck two chicks just before fight villains, obviously concluded by a happy ending. This movie stolen the name of a good game that does not deserve to be assimilated with it. Expand
APandaApr 19, 2013
This film was completely spoiled for me when Cruise takes his shirt off in the swimming pool in one swing. I find this totally unbelievable, I have tried this dozens of times and it is really hard to take off a t-shirt when it is that wet,This film was completely spoiled for me when Cruise takes his shirt off in the swimming pool in one swing. I find this totally unbelievable, I have tried this dozens of times and it is really hard to take off a t-shirt when it is that wet, and I often struggle for several minutes. I am giving it 1 only because Jaime Lannister and God were fighting it out on the same side. Expand
TheQuietGamerOct 18, 2013
One of the worst science-fiction movies of all time. It's dull and uninteresting to the very end. I didn't care once about anything that was going on and couldn't wait for this movie to end. The only good thing about this movie is how good itOne of the worst science-fiction movies of all time. It's dull and uninteresting to the very end. I didn't care once about anything that was going on and couldn't wait for this movie to end. The only good thing about this movie is how good it looks. Truly these are some spectacular special effects. Unfortunately outstanding visual effects amount to nothing when the movie is garbage.

The characters and plot are boring and dumb. The latter being filled with cliches and over-used plot threads that have been done time and time again in science fiction movies. The characters are lifeless and unlikable, the worst offender being Tom Cruise's character "Jack". When he's not being completely dull and moronic, he's tossing out groan inducing one-liners like "Yeah, well you should see the other guy". I wanted to see him get shot so badly.

So the plot and characters are unbearable, and unfortunately so is the action and romance. This is a completely terrible film. One of the worst I've ever seen. I don't recommend this movie in the least. "Oblivion" should be cast into oblivion.
namelessJun 9, 2013
How slow and redundant can you get for the first 90% and then a solid ending. Was it worth it? No. It has the ending that you wish Star Trek would have had. But sitting through exposition that takes an hour violates everything a audience expects.
WadeVSSep 25, 2013
Boring, confusing, I feel like we've seen this movie before. The story get lost beneath the style and effects and Cruise proves that he only has one character left in his aging repertoire.
Nobilis1984Aug 17, 2015
Visually beautiful to look at but after an hour is simply the air out.
How so? The film has a weak story because it is based on an unfinished story.
It was not creative enough to make this story something interesting. Cruise and Freeman
Visually beautiful to look at but after an hour is simply the air out.
How so? The film has a weak story because it is based on an unfinished story.
It was not creative enough to make this story something interesting.
Cruise and Freeman offer good performance but that is not enough.
Gary64Aug 25, 2013
I like the idea
this movie is my type of moivie
I like movies that have very few characters set in ghost town quiet, not many action I liked the robots, robots battle, chase scenes but really, it was boring Morgan Freeman and his
I like the idea
this movie is my type of moivie
I like movies
that have very few characters
set in ghost town
quiet, not many action

I liked the robots,
robots battle, chase scenes

but really, it was boring
Morgan Freeman and his allies characters
Tom Cruise 2 was a very boring character.
there were no villains.

really boring movie.
bluefrankie55Mar 12, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the worst movie I've ever seen. The only reason I saw this movie was because I saw that Morgan Freeman was in it and I was like "Hey Morgan Freeman's in it it couldn't possibly suck really bad" yet it definitely did. My main (emphasis on "main" meaning definitely not limited to) problem with this disgrace of-a-movie is that it makes no sense. I don't know if one can message me on Meta critic but if you can could someone please attempt to explain this movie to me. This is me at the movie:

So there's a guy and he's like a clone i guess? Wait what? Who? How? When? Where? I went to the movie with my mom and it took our brainpower together about 2 days to sort of figure out what this movie was about.
WhySoSerious54Apr 23, 2013
Story has been told before and better in a number of movies. Non original script, plastic characters, boring development. If not for the amazing set pieces and the few action scenes that are done well this would have been a disaster of a film.
UnderTheRainMay 5, 2013
Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible
JmsbppSep 27, 2013
Oblivion es un desastre que quiere expresar buenas cosas al final despues de un espantoso comienzo sin embargo el remedio no fue suficiente para la muerte en su totalidad de la pelicula es muy aburrida con cosas que caen muy bajo en grandesOblivion es un desastre que quiere expresar buenas cosas al final despues de un espantoso comienzo sin embargo el remedio no fue suficiente para la muerte en su totalidad de la pelicula es muy aburrida con cosas que caen muy bajo en grandes actuaciones como la de Tom Cruise Expand
MvskiMay 8, 2013
I joined metacritic just so I could write this review. This was possibly the one of the worst movies I have ever seen--boring, disjointed. Technologically, it was good, but the movie and the plot were bad, bad, bad.
ChedJul 26, 2013
I expected more and I was disappointed. The story and visuals are ok but it can't compensate for the bad acting. Tom Cruise can't even manage the right facial expression for "No!" and "What?!". Watch this late at night and it will improveI expected more and I was disappointed. The story and visuals are ok but it can't compensate for the bad acting. Tom Cruise can't even manage the right facial expression for "No!" and "What?!". Watch this late at night and it will improve your chances of falling asleep. Expand
kix2mix2Aug 6, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So what mainly happens in this movie is a robot alien that looks like a triangle kidnaps 2 astronauts and multiplies them thousands of times erases their memory and makes them believe they fight to save humanity... one of the clones meets his wife and he remembers... obviously he than sacrifices himself and saves the world... but don't worry the poor lady has 1000 other clones to be with so it's not really a loss...

I give it 3 points for the super awesome landscapes there... it's really nice and cool the portrayal of the post apocalyptic world...still... the movie it overrated...
annpeace1234Aug 6, 2013
I was board throw the hole movie! You are waiting more than half of the movie for something to happen. And bad pilot too. The movies used to be good but now every one tries to spice up movies and they suck.
MichiganGamerAug 22, 2013
This movie...just was not good. Sure, the special effects were great, but that doesn't hold the movie up. The plot, the acting and the actors hold the movie up. Tom Cruise's acting was just bad. Morgan Freeman should not have been in thisThis movie...just was not good. Sure, the special effects were great, but that doesn't hold the movie up. The plot, the acting and the actors hold the movie up. Tom Cruise's acting was just bad. Morgan Freeman should not have been in this movie. The plot's full of holes, it takes twists that don't make sense or don't help with the plot in any way. This was disappointing, purely and simply. Expand
EliteFeb 12, 2014
Oblivion: One of the most boring films of 2013. The best thing about the film were its visuals, the movie actually looks very pretty in terms of visual effects even though most of the movie is set in a wasteland earth. Everything else thoughOblivion: One of the most boring films of 2013. The best thing about the film were its visuals, the movie actually looks very pretty in terms of visual effects even though most of the movie is set in a wasteland earth. Everything else though is absolute garbage, the story is so crap that a 6th grader could have written it and none of the characters were likeable at all. Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman do what they can with the roles they have been given, but they end up being ok amongst all the other stiff characters. To put it nicely, Oblivion is a boring, pretty and awful movie. Expand
levishandJan 16, 2014
I opened a metacritic account just to come here and vent a little about this movie, which I just finished watching. To put it subtly, "Oblivion" was a steaming pile of horse manure, not unlike that which was dumped today in front of theI opened a metacritic account just to come here and vent a little about this movie, which I just finished watching. To put it subtly, "Oblivion" was a steaming pile of horse manure, not unlike that which was dumped today in front of the French parliament building. These Scientologist creeps need to quit making post-apocalyptic heaps of dung like "Oblivion" and "After Earth", which I didn't even see and won't now that I've lost two hours of my life to the husk of an actor that was Tom Cruise and his pair of helpless, flat leading ladies. Good thing men are always around to save the useless women in this movie! Women do NOTHING but sit by helplessly until at one point one of them picks up a gun and in spite of being a military-trained flight officer, fumbles with it and finally requires a penis to come save her. I guess by saying the premise of this movie is STUPID I'm also saying that Scientology is stupid, so there: go ahead and watch "Oblivion" if you think you're going to live forever and have the hours to spare, because you'll NEVER get that time back. Expand
ThomasSmithsonJul 24, 2014
Okay so you've Morgan Freeman on board for your film project, AND HE'S BORING, OR HE'S BORED, PROBABLY BOTH!

Any questions? There's this thing called a script...okay..and what you do is MATURE AND CURE THE SCRIPT SO MORGAN F'N FREEMAN

Any questions?

There's this thing called a script...okay..and what you do is MATURE AND CURE THE SCRIPT SO MORGAN F'N FREEMAN IS NOT BORING!!!!
root_Dec 31, 2014
Only the intro was brilliant and some more 15 minutes then just some loose script.The concepts where great for a science-fiction film instead of sticking to the plot the film went for character elements.
darkbloodshed13May 19, 2015
Every few years I come across a movie that makes me want punch something because of it's stupidity, "Oblivion" is such movie. Oblivion is the type of movie that tries to capture you through it's visuals, but fails because the story idea isEvery few years I come across a movie that makes me want punch something because of it's stupidity, "Oblivion" is such movie. Oblivion is the type of movie that tries to capture you through it's visuals, but fails because the story idea is **** Plus it's a Sci-fi that fails to explain the science behind it. Meaning it fails to answer the question of how. Also the movie is 30 minutes to long. I mean by the time we get to the final seen I was bored out of my mind. In conclusion if your looking for good Sci-fi to pass the time then you should skip this pile of **** Expand