7.0

1. Apr 20, 2013
    While the movie seems like a mixture of several different science fiction films, it is not fair to say it is unoriginal but it is more of a respectful throw back to the science fiction films of the 1970s. It has some spectacular action, some great concepts, and always beautiful imagery. It's not only worth checking out, its worth seeing, telling your friends about it and then seeing it again!
  2. Apr 19, 2013
    While the premise and some factors of the movie may seem underwhelming going in, Oblivion not only delivers, but makes for an enjoyable and smart sci-fi movie well worth the price of admission. The scale of the movie is excellent, set pieces are huge and memorable, the visual feel is tremendous and helps create a genuine atmosphere. With that, the soundtrack by M83 is engrossing andWhile the premise and some factors of the movie may seem underwhelming going in, Oblivion not only delivers, but makes for an enjoyable and smart sci-fi movie well worth the price of admission. The scale of the movie is excellent, set pieces are huge and memorable, the visual feel is tremendous and helps create a genuine atmosphere. With that, the soundtrack by M83 is engrossing and excellent. Tom Cruise plays a solid main role, that didn't sell me at first but did later on, his scenes with Andrea Riseborough are among the best of the film. Add in some unexpected and truly great twists, and I'm happily surprised with this movie and it turns from what I'd expected to be a good movie, to a great one. Expand
  3. Apr 23, 2013
    An unexpected treasure. I salute the nerve of producers and director to go with a novel and thoughtful story instead of the n-th sequel or reimagining of some previous success. Major Kudos to the parties responsible! The visuals are gorgeous and breathtaking (with consistent visual design reminiscent of Star Wars at its best), a good supporting score, and fine acting. The consistency isAn unexpected treasure. I salute the nerve of producers and director to go with a novel and thoughtful story instead of the n-th sequel or reimagining of some previous success. Major Kudos to the parties responsible! The visuals are gorgeous and breathtaking (with consistent visual design reminiscent of Star Wars at its best), a good supporting score, and fine acting. The consistency is significantly above average (with few and insignificant gaffes or inexplicable moments and absolutely no major plot holes Thank you!), the pacing wasn't frantic or boring with exposition of characters and backstory well-spaced throughout the movie. I'll probably go see it again, just because movies like this are too few and far in between. Expand
  4. Apr 19, 2013
    Amazing movie with a plot that will keep you on your toes waiting for the next reveal (while you might guess some of the plot there is no way you will guess it all!). True sci-fi. Best movie I have seen in the last 12 months. Loved it!
  5. Apr 21, 2013
    I honestly LOVED this movie. It's intriguing and engaging until the last minute of the film. Highly recommended. I was worried that the trailers gave away most of the mystery but they barely even scratched the surface of all the mysteries it has to unveil.
  6. Apr 19, 2013
    Oblivion is so sophisticated and subtle as to perhaps be an art film. This is great science fiction as comes along only once in a decade--if we are lucky. Tom Cruise is such a lightening rod for critics that they can't actually suspend their disbelief and follow the movie. This film is complex, subtle, beautiful, with stunning actresses and excellent actors. The major flaw is that keyOblivion is so sophisticated and subtle as to perhaps be an art film. This is great science fiction as comes along only once in a decade--if we are lucky. Tom Cruise is such a lightening rod for critics that they can't actually suspend their disbelief and follow the movie. This film is complex, subtle, beautiful, with stunning actresses and excellent actors. The major flaw is that key pieces of information are passed along only once and in mumbled dialog, so one might feel lost near the end. For me, it was completely worth it. This is not a movie you have seen before, though you might see it again. If you loved Cloud Atlas, you will love this film, too.. Expand
  7. Apr 19, 2013
    Oblivion is a brilliant movie. Visually stunning, with an incredible soundtrack and a great plot that will keep you glued to the screen.
    Unlike many other scifi movies, the visuals and special fx are there to support the plot, instead of a silly plot made just to justify special fx and explosions.
    This is without a doubt one of the best movies i've recently seen.
  8. Apr 22, 2013
    Sadly an underrated movie here on metacritic, fairly close to the movie "moon" from an ideological perspective. I was pleasantly surprised to have my (low) expectations exceeded from Hollywood movie. The critics claim the movie does not ask any real questions, or that it does not answer any, but to be honest Oblivion does have it's finer points. One has to wonder if Oblivion is asking theSadly an underrated movie here on metacritic, fairly close to the movie "moon" from an ideological perspective. I was pleasantly surprised to have my (low) expectations exceeded from Hollywood movie. The critics claim the movie does not ask any real questions, or that it does not answer any, but to be honest Oblivion does have it's finer points. One has to wonder if Oblivion is asking the question that no one really wants to know the answer to. Collapse
  9. Apr 20, 2013
    A real/serious sci-if film that takes its time to develop characters and creates an engaging story that kept me interested throughout. Some may complain about it being "special effects laden" but what do you expect? You're living in the past..it's very expensive to physically model everything. Anyway, I enjoyed it very much, Cruise still has it.
  10. Apr 21, 2013
    A good movie, Regardless of the 0's and sour apples writing reviews I would give this about an 8.7.
    The movie was pretty slow and they threw in random suspense. They should have made the movie shorter. Other then that the movies plot was good, the cgi was awesome...

Come on people its a sci-fi movie and a fairly good one at that.. why do purist have to come and write reviews giving it a 0/10 its childish.

I have not went to the theaters in more then 3 years, I choose to go watch oblivion and was not disappointed, and neither will most people who like sci-fi movies.
  11. Apr 20, 2013
    The emotional weight, strong acting, and impressive visuals are enough to make the film a must-see. The story is much stronger than its getting credit for, and although some pieces seem familiar, they are grounded in plot and explanations that hardly make them derivative. This has underrated written all over it.
  12. Apr 20, 2013
    Pure Sci-fi. My favorite type of Sci-fi. For the "fi" to work the "Sci" has to be believable. While there was plenty of edge of the seat action it wasn't just an action flick and, while there were some creative plot twists it wasn't overly cerebral. I'm no Tom Cruise worshiper but I thought it was well acted. Thankfully we were spared the campy "one liners". I'll pay to see it again.
  13. Jul 24, 2013
    Why didn't i see this in theaters? Probably because it wasn't a sequel or remake. This is by far one of the best original sci-fi movies i have seen in a long time.
  14. Apr 20, 2013
    Oblivion is a great movie. There may be some small things that you can predict, but the movie overall just leaves you with a such an amazing feeling at the end, it's great. The visuals are gorgeous and for a movie based on one person roaming a wasteland of a planet, I didn't find myself feeling like any scenes were just dragging along. This is definitely a film worth seeing. Finally, IOblivion is a great movie. There may be some small things that you can predict, but the movie overall just leaves you with a such an amazing feeling at the end, it's great. The visuals are gorgeous and for a movie based on one person roaming a wasteland of a planet, I didn't find myself feeling like any scenes were just dragging along. This is definitely a film worth seeing. Finally, I would like to voice my appreciation for a studio finally releasing a sci-fi film where the story and acting don't completely suck. Expand
  15. Apr 20, 2013
    This movie was very solid all around. I think the writers did a fantastic job with the plot by generating a very engaging story which makes you care about the characters. The story has a few twists and definitely will make you think a little. Furthermore, the special effects are all great with just the right amount of action and I think Cruise is very believable. In the end there reallyThis movie was very solid all around. I think the writers did a fantastic job with the plot by generating a very engaging story which makes you care about the characters. The story has a few twists and definitely will make you think a little. Furthermore, the special effects are all great with just the right amount of action and I think Cruise is very believable. In the end there really isn't much to complain about. If you are looking for a movie with a really awesome story and great effects I highly suggest this one. Expand
  16. Apr 20, 2013
    Oblivion is a movie with Science futuristic chicks, guns and futuristic alien scaves. It looks like a stupid movie with Tom Cruise kicking alien butt and saving Olga Kurenlenko in a tin box but this movie takes turns and twists throughout. The story with former human machine "finder" Jack Harper who can't erase his past that's left on earth and joins up with a spaceship controller to huntOblivion is a movie with Science futuristic chicks, guns and futuristic alien scaves. It looks like a stupid movie with Tom Cruise kicking alien butt and saving Olga Kurenlenko in a tin box but this movie takes turns and twists throughout. The story with former human machine "finder" Jack Harper who can't erase his past that's left on earth and joins up with a spaceship controller to hunt down aliens and stay alive by their faithful machines. Now, it may sound that Oblivion is just IMAX produced crap by the TRON Legacy director- Joseph Kosinski. But it's not, the movie's dazzling chases and heart stopping moments keep it running and paced up. Then you see a human/machine hunter Morgan Freeman who knows about Jack's wife and his past and will do anything to take over this world. But not until Cruise kicks ass! Oblivion is a fresh exotic movie that's totally breathtaking. It starts off slow but then the movie paces up. Bravo. Expand
  17. Apr 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oblivion is a true to the art of science fiction film. I love the blend of photo-realistic CGI with the live-action scenes. With a beautiful cast, I feel as if Tom Cruise was picked perfectly for this role, he nailed it! The Director, Joseph Kosinski, directed his 2nd master-piece, (his 1st is Tron Legacy). If you are a Hard SF fan, this movie is for you! By far my favourite Sci-Fi movie this Year!!!!! Expand
  18. Apr 22, 2013
    I disagree this is Matrix lite. This movie has elements of Matrix, as well as Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Star Trek, Moon, and many other great sci-fi movies of the past 50 years. That makes this a great movie. Just when you think this movie is getting bland Hollywood plays the Morgan Freeman card that immediately makes any movie much more interesting especially a great space operaI disagree this is Matrix lite. This movie has elements of Matrix, as well as Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Star Trek, Moon, and many other great sci-fi movies of the past 50 years. That makes this a great movie. Just when you think this movie is getting bland Hollywood plays the Morgan Freeman card that immediately makes any movie much more interesting especially a great space opera like this one. This is the movie we all wanted Prometheus to be last year but were left cold and confused. Expand
  19. Apr 25, 2013
    Glad I paid no attention to the critics, saw the trailer, looked good, went to see it.
    I know many trailers look good and can and be rubbish, but I had a good feeling about this one.
    A few surprises and twists very cool film.
  20. Jun 1, 2013
    This movie is absolutely amazing, the setting, the effects, the story, acting and the soundtracks are just AMAZING. You should definitely check this movie out, you won't regret it!
  21. Jun 2, 2013
    Oblivion is an incredible movie. Not only are the visuals stunning, but the story is beautiful and all the plot-lines are tied up by the end of the movie. Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman play their parts excellently, and the soundtrack is a masterpiece. Would highly recommend to anyone, especially fans of 70's and modern science fiction.
  22. Jul 21, 2013
    Oblivion is one of the best movies I've seen this year. I really enjoyed the cgi effects, story kept me curious, acting was really great, acting was awesome. If you're looking for a great Sci-Fi movie, Oblivion is the best choice.
  23. Aug 2, 2013
    I loved this movie, I was totally immersed from start to finish. I have to tip my hat to M83 for their original score as well, it says a lot about a movie when you want to buy the soundtrack after watching it. I can't say enough about this film, it is definitely a must see.
  24. Aug 9, 2013
    Don't you believe any of these young Entitlement Generation snobs. Oblivion is a great movie. Mark my words: this is the Blade Runner of it's time. Blade Runner was universally panned by critics, and a dud at the box office. Today, it's considered one of the greatest SciFi movies of all time. 30 years from now, they'll still be watching Oblivion. Like Blade, this is ultimately aDon't you believe any of these young Entitlement Generation snobs. Oblivion is a great movie. Mark my words: this is the Blade Runner of it's time. Blade Runner was universally panned by critics, and a dud at the box office. Today, it's considered one of the greatest SciFi movies of all time. 30 years from now, they'll still be watching Oblivion. Like Blade, this is ultimately a love story: a pair of souls separated by time, war and science desperately seeking to reunite. It is one of Tom Cruise's best performances. The Icelandic scenery mixed with seamless CGI is stunning and restrained. The pace seems excruciatingly slow, but is perfect for the situation. With just a couple of small forgettable flaws in the science, the story is completely believable. Joseph Kosinski's graphic novel background shows in almost every frame, with perfect shot composition and transition. I was completely captivated by the mise en scene. (Look it up, kiddies.) Forget comments about being “derivative” or “unoriginal”. That’s the nature of science fiction. Finally, the M83 soundtrack is so perfect, you don't notice it until the wonderful final credits. Buy or rent it, and you will watch it over and over again. Tom & Joseph: you did good. I look forward to great projects from both of you. Joseph, I just hope the Disney dreck you have lined up doesn't bring you down. Yes, we all gotta work. Expand
  25. Apr 21, 2014
    Muy buena, la recomiendo. Todo sorprende, la trama y las imagenes. Desde el comienzo hasta el final te mantiene boquiabierto. Tremendjo trabajo senor director.
  26. Jun 15, 2013
    I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, however, I thought this movie was pretty good overall with some great effects. The movie had a different feel to it, simple, clean, uncluttered, kind of like the movie Wall-e, but much more exciting, the cgi was excellent also. Most modern day sci-fi or action movies try to cram so much activity into each action scene that it gets chaotic and boring butI'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, however, I thought this movie was pretty good overall with some great effects. The movie had a different feel to it, simple, clean, uncluttered, kind of like the movie Wall-e, but much more exciting, the cgi was excellent also. Most modern day sci-fi or action movies try to cram so much activity into each action scene that it gets chaotic and boring but Oblivion had much of the film cast in wide open, vast wastelands where the action scenes where clear and easy to follow. The plot was simple and intriguing, yet kept you interested throughout. The movie falls a little flat prior to the climax but it was a pleasant surprise to see such a good, yet different sci-fi movie because they just don't make very many good or original ones anymore. I will be in the store the day it gets released on blu-ray to get my copy! Expand
  27. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is incredible. I give it like a 9.4 really, but that is not an option. Only one thing, the scene where they for whatever reason decide to roll out the drone and then get attacked once they open the doors (why not wait until night? where were the scouts that caught one drone and sounded the alarm earlier? why not just open the doors and tell it to LAUNCH form where it is inside instead of putting it on a tractor? was a total Hollywood scene just to have people shoot, die, get blown up, win with losses...dumb for an otherwise brilliant movie). The scenery is amazing, the musical score is brilliant, acting phenomenal, story great (yes they did steal a few things from a few games/books/movies (Independence Day seems like the obvious, but there were sci-fi books with this plot even before, like Footfall). All around outstanding movie that should've scored higher than it did. If you like sci-fi, watch this film! Expand
  28. Apr 25, 2013
    Oblivion is a hell of a film. It achieves what the Matrix Trilogy attempted to in one movie. A great follow up to his first movie, which was the Tron sequel.
  29. May 6, 2013
    Leaving aside Tom Cruise haters, it is beyond me why anyone would give this movie less than a top mark. It has everything any science fiction buff would enjoy, put together in an outstanding and believable package. The cinematography is outstanding, with the animation well-integrated and an exceptional storyline.

Although substantially different in plot and concept, Minority Report, Tom

Although substantially different in plot and concept, Minority Report, Tom Cruise's most recent science fiction movie, is not as polished or believable, yet garnered an 80 from critics. It would be a shame to believe that Phillip K. Dick is the reason for that rating. Dick is one of the best set piece science fiction writers, but does not reach for or achieve the breadth and vision of Oblivion.

Miss Oblivion in theaters at your own risk. This is one of a handful of movies whose small screen versions lose substantial impact on the small screen.
  30. May 29, 2013
    For my part, I actually walked away satisfied, and then a couple of days worth of thought later. was VERY impressed by this film. There's nothing uniquely original here. especially if you read sci-fi, But, taking queues from Total Recall, The Matrix, Dark City, and Moon, among others, I find it fascinating, and of course, Tom Cruise is almost always enthralling in his action roles. Alot ofFor my part, I actually walked away satisfied, and then a couple of days worth of thought later. was VERY impressed by this film. There's nothing uniquely original here. especially if you read sci-fi, But, taking queues from Total Recall, The Matrix, Dark City, and Moon, among others, I find it fascinating, and of course, Tom Cruise is almost always enthralling in his action roles. Alot of sci-fi writers in particular will argue that your memories make up who you are, and so the end to the film brought it all full circle for me. I loved it. Expand
  31. Sep 6, 2013
    The visuals created by PIXOMONDO studios are just stunning. The storyline introduced in this movie was very fascinating and the soundtrack by M.8.3 just great. A science-fiction thriller of diamond brilliance. Stands with the greatest movies in this genre.
  32. Sep 7, 2013
    I was really impressed with this movie. If you like movies like "Moon" then you'll love this movie. Its more for those who appreciate good acting and a enjoy a deep plot and well... are educated, something that most critics here lack.
  33. Aug 7, 2013
    What an incredible movie. It's really almost impossible to review it in any detail without giving away spoilers but I will say this, Oblivion is one of my favorite science-fiction films of all-time. It isn't over the top, it doesn't try to do too much, it just relies on fantastic acting thanks to protagonist Jack Harper, played by Tom Cruise, along with a fantastic supporting cast and aWhat an incredible movie. It's really almost impossible to review it in any detail without giving away spoilers but I will say this, Oblivion is one of my favorite science-fiction films of all-time. It isn't over the top, it doesn't try to do too much, it just relies on fantastic acting thanks to protagonist Jack Harper, played by Tom Cruise, along with a fantastic supporting cast and a story that is absolutely amazing. The plot developed at a perfect pace for the environment and created a setting that felt genuine throughout. The only flaw was that there were some elements left unexplained, but then again it is a sci-fi movie so it doesn't take too much from the experience. I don't understand why so many critics slammed this movie but they do tend to like weird, artsy fartsy garb and dislike anything resembling a well-made action film. While this movie didn't have much action, it seems like it does from trailers so don't expect a gung-ho modern shooter or anything. If anything, it feels more like a Matrix style film in terms of pace. Regardless, I've said as much as I can say without revealing too much. I think most people would likely agree that Oblivion is a sci-fi epic worthy of the 2 hours. Expand
  34. Jul 29, 2013
    Oblivion, Joseph Kosinski's follow-up feature to Tron Legacy proves again that he is a great visual director. Our desolate planet looks gorgeous and all the tech gear looks very sleek and futuristic. The VFX are used in service of the story and the craftsmanship is absolutely exellent, not one single shot looks fake! People who love and know the magnificent Tron Legacy soundtrack willOblivion, Joseph Kosinski's follow-up feature to Tron Legacy proves again that he is a great visual director. Our desolate planet looks gorgeous and all the tech gear looks very sleek and futuristic. The VFX are used in service of the story and the craftsmanship is absolutely exellent, not one single shot looks fake! People who love and know the magnificent Tron Legacy soundtrack will notice a certain resemblance here, but this is certainly not a bad thing, rather the opposite. The story is sort of a composition of elements you might have seen in other scifi movies, but this is not always avoidable and not really a problem. The style and execution are brilliant so I'm very much looking forward to Kosinski's next film. Highly recommended! Expand
  35. Apr 29, 2013
    These film is the greatest movie that I have seen this year!!! I'm very satisfied with the quality oft the film. It has 4x times higher quality than HD, I like the story, it makes you feel confused a little, but that's the true meaning of making a movie... The beginning, the middle, the ending was very good, it surely a must watch movie!!!
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this film, it's a
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this film, it's a perfect blend acting...
    I hope another kind like this film will be showed up...
    Getting excited for the future of film!!!
  36. May 22, 2013
    If you haven't let someone spoil Oblivion's late-plot twists for you, do yourself a favor and tell them to shut up while you shell out the cash to catch this one in theaters. The visual and audio effects make Oblivion at least worth the matinee prices, and going in not knowing everything will make its flaws (a few plot holes, a convenient coincidence or two, and an annoying plot deviceIf you haven't let someone spoil Oblivion's late-plot twists for you, do yourself a favor and tell them to shut up while you shell out the cash to catch this one in theaters. The visual and audio effects make Oblivion at least worth the matinee prices, and going in not knowing everything will make its flaws (a few plot holes, a convenient coincidence or two, and an annoying plot device named Bob) well worth overlooking. Expand
  37. Mar 17, 2014
    Great movie. Much better than war of the worlds, good acting from tom cruise.
    A bit horrifying at times, maybe not the best word to use. But, good sci-fi story and movie.
    Great casting all throughout.
  38. Aug 4, 2013
    Great film. Intriguing setting, great scenery. Cruise and Riseborough present the believable life of a repairman and his operator. It's hard to explain, but everything that made Minecraft great is what is so compelling about Jack Harper the solitary job, the castle in the sky, the grandeur of a vast post-apocalyptic Earth.

From this cozy setting, the plot picks up, and Kurlenko shows

From this cozy setting, the plot picks up, and Kurlenko shows some reserve and acting chops that really sells it as the story opens up. Some of the plot twists are predictable, but never convoluted, and the film does a good job of keeping you titillated, but allowing you to figure it out for yourself. There is no narrator or monologue explaining what's going on, the story tells itself in true science fiction fashion.

The soundtrack is great too.
  39. May 13, 2013
    A TRILLION TIMES BETTER THAN IRON MAN 3...It''s sad how movies like this get dwarfed by massive piles of crap movies like iron man 3. This movie was a sci fi work of art. Amazing soundtrack. glorious visuals. a True gem to behold for sci fi fans. If you want a sci fi flick that touches your emotions, watch this. However if your expecting some stupid action, and stupid mindless fun...this isnt it
  40. Jun 7, 2014
    This movie was amazing to me. The art style was spot on and the story was very well done.

Tom Cruise made you feel like you were part of the struggle during the movie. The plot twist toward the end left me going saying "oh S**t!" Only thing I wish they did better was the ending, the movie was going very strong then all of a sudden, bam.. need to hurry this up guys so lets do a quick

Only thing I wish they did better was the ending, the movie was going very strong then all of a sudden, bam.. need to hurry this up guys so lets do a quick finish.. I felt a little robbed so I couldn't give this movie a 10.. but, still if your reading this.. GO SEE IT!
  41. Aug 2, 2013
    The beautiful scene and imagery did caught me in the seat along with the nice background music. Although I wouldn't consider it as the best, but it's definitely not the worst as there are still some unanswered details left in the movie. Nevertheless it did capture my attention with the twist in story plot. It reminds me of that similar to The Island.
  42. Jul 23, 2013
    It's not original, but it is a really awesome watch. This film is breathtakingly beautiful and the beginning had me thinking 10, but when the main plot starts to evolve there is a problem or two. That being said the plot is plenty good enough to be effective and Tom Cruise does what Tom Cruise does best and that is be a star. It may be a film that takes many aspects from other greatIt's not original, but it is a really awesome watch. This film is breathtakingly beautiful and the beginning had me thinking 10, but when the main plot starts to evolve there is a problem or two. That being said the plot is plenty good enough to be effective and Tom Cruise does what Tom Cruise does best and that is be a star. It may be a film that takes many aspects from other great sci-fi films, but it does it very well. A Expand
  43. Jul 26, 2013
    A lovely visual experience, and a great science fiction movie. Its story is quite predictable, but is still intriguing and the viewers curiosity is maintained throughout the movie.

It's not non stop action, which is a good thing. Instead it delivers a chilling sci-fi mood. Highly recommended!
  44. Apr 23, 2013
    Krasinski's involvement gave me trepidations because of the miasma that was Tron: Legacy's plot. This outing proves he can do more than just visuals. Excellent performances all around and a great third act. This one has some depth. Great soundtrack from M83 as well.
  45. Apr 23, 2013
    You can read my review of the Tom Cruise science fiction action thriller "Oblivion" here http://geektasticfilmreviews.blogspot.com/2013/04/oblivion.html
  46. Apr 24, 2013
    I don't understand how everyone hates this movie. I found it to be really enjoyable and exciting to watch, this might not be for the all out action movie fans, they can go watch mission impossible or something, but for everybody else I strongly recommend this movie, it's romantic, it's dramatic, there is quite alot of action, there are great characters and there is a nice backstory toI don't understand how everyone hates this movie. I found it to be really enjoyable and exciting to watch, this might not be for the all out action movie fans, they can go watch mission impossible or something, but for everybody else I strongly recommend this movie, it's romantic, it's dramatic, there is quite alot of action, there are great characters and there is a nice backstory to everything. I just would've liked seeing more of what happened pre invasion and where this enemy came from. Expand
  47. May 15, 2013
    See this movie; in parts it is convoluted and the end is somewhat trite but overall it is one of the better, more imaginative sci fi outings of recent years. I loved it.
  48. May 12, 2013
    I am thinking that film critic underrated the sci-fi film "Oblivion" and over time the film will be credited with being a classic in the sci-fi genre by film critics. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and think it is one of the best films this year. It is a visual feast with outstanding production values in all aspects of film making and hope that more people will get out to see it beforeI am thinking that film critic underrated the sci-fi film "Oblivion" and over time the film will be credited with being a classic in the sci-fi genre by film critics. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and think it is one of the best films this year. It is a visual feast with outstanding production values in all aspects of film making and hope that more people will get out to see it before it is buried by lesser efforts. Put aside your dislike of Tom Cruise and get out to see the film. I understand that if their is to be a sequel it all depends on its Box Office success. Expand
  49. Aug 19, 2013
    ITALIANO

Semplicemente fantastico, uno dei film sci-fi più belli degli ultimi tempi secondo me. Geniale la trama, ottimi effetti speciali e gran finalone con tanto di spiegazione di tutte le domande che ci si pone durante la visione. Finalmente un gran bel film, dopo la guerra dei mondi (sempre con Tom Cruise) un altro grandissimo dvd da aggiungere alla collezione. Cruise anche in
    ITALIANO

Cruise anche in questo film si dimostra a parere personale uno dei più bravi attori di sempre, caratterizzando ed inpersonando un personaggio che davvero in pochi avrebbero potuto far rendere come lui. FILM STUPENDO!
  50. Aug 8, 2013
    picked up the latest Science-Fiction epic Oblivion. Sometimes I get a little worried buying a movie sight unseen but this time it certainly did not disappoint! The movie stars Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman and was directed by Joseph Kosinski and based on his graphic novel of the same name. The movie is one of the apocalyptic films which displays the planet earth after it has been destroyedpicked up the latest Science-Fiction epic Oblivion. Sometimes I get a little worried buying a movie sight unseen but this time it certainly did not disappoint! The movie stars Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman and was directed by Joseph Kosinski and based on his graphic novel of the same name. The movie is one of the apocalyptic films which displays the planet earth after it has been destroyed by aliens.

I have decided this will be a spoiler free review because I think this is a movie you really need to see for yourself and to see it unfold before you. I will give a basic synopsis of the plot. It is the year 2077, 60 years after earth was invaded by aliens. Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) and his partner Victoria "Vika" Owen, played by the beautiful Andrea Riseborough, are the only ones on after the invasion and they are there to repair drones that are fighting off the residual alien resistance. The surviving inhabitants of earth are living on Titan one of the moons of Saturn. Harper meets up with Malcolm Beech a resistance fighter played by the legendary Morgan Freeman (one of my very favorite actors) and he also begins to have flash backs to a time he was with a woman on the Empire State Building prior to the alien invasion. Things begin to unravel and we begin to see that appearances can be deceptive.

Pros: The cinematography and special effects are stellar. This movie is great eye candy but you do not get an overdose of it. The acting is great and two of my favorites, Cruise and Freeman, are in this film and do a fine job. This is my first time seeing Andrea Riseborough and I enjoyed her performance. She portrays a sense of vulnerability while also wanting to stay in denial concerning the things Jack is discovering. I do like the story. Some of the criticisms I have read that there are plot elements that we have seen in other movies. While I can agree with that assessment, I can also see that this is common in Hollywood movies. I am fine with movies that may have similar plot elements to other movies as long as it is executed well and that is the case with this movie. I also enjoy the story. The movie mixes romance, mystery and action adventure into a tale that will keep the viewer engaged and caring about all the characters throughout. Despite great special effects this is a very character driven movie.

Cons: I really have only one minor complaint. Director Kosinski wanted this movie to be an homage to the science fiction films of the 70s and in many way he succeeds in that endeavor. The movie is paced more like a film from the 70s and it is slower than the more kinetic pacing we modern viewers and grown accustomed to. Is that a fault of the directors or is it a fault of the viewer? I will place blame on myself. We live in a fast paced mircowave society that wants instant gratification. So it was hard to slow down and get absorbed into the story. I just wasn't used to it. So really this is not a con, it is just something that the viewer needs to be aware of when going in to the movie. It is an old-fashioned movie and as I think more on the pacing, it really does work even though some viewers might not be used to it.

This movie does have some good re watch capabilities for me. As a mystery there are clues throughout the movie and on more than one viewing you can pick up on these clues. In an era where science fiction films are heavy with CGI and are like cotton candy for the mind, this one is not. It will make you think and keep you on your toes.
  51. Sep 14, 2013
    There is nothing new under the sun, or so said Abraham. Movie fans had better get used to it. While there are a lot of familiar themes in Oblivion, they are all blended together in such a way to still surprise and audience. I found myself connecting with the main characters, even with little time or depth of dialogue to do so and was touched by the relationships and situations theyThere is nothing new under the sun, or so said Abraham. Movie fans had better get used to it. While there are a lot of familiar themes in Oblivion, they are all blended together in such a way to still surprise and audience. I found myself connecting with the main characters, even with little time or depth of dialogue to do so and was touched by the relationships and situations they found themselves in. There are many surprises to be had, much dramatic tension and some exciting action sequences. I'm putting this movie on my Buy list and I don't do that with many. Oh and yes there are underlying philosophical discussions in this film. It's a theme that was found in great works such as Blade Runner, you just have to be able to recognize it. Expand
  52. Jul 29, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie. I came to it with high expectations which normally kills a movie dead for me, but this didn't disappoint. 10 minutes in I was already riding the wave of beautiful visuals, stunning conceived technology and more than capable acting. I really enjoyed the story line path as it opened questions, invited possible answers and really left a good feeling at the end.I absolutely loved this movie. I came to it with high expectations which normally kills a movie dead for me, but this didn't disappoint. 10 minutes in I was already riding the wave of beautiful visuals, stunning conceived technology and more than capable acting. I really enjoyed the story line path as it opened questions, invited possible answers and really left a good feeling at the end. On a slight critical note the story did also create and leave a number of open ends that could cause the story problems which I wont mention here as may spoil the story if you haven't seen it. But this is all forgiven... I look forward to watching this again..... and again....and again.... Expand
  53. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Movie was awesome. Graphics were nice and acting good. Almost shed a tear. Better than twilight. Don't let computers get too powerful is the moral of the story. Expand
  54. Sep 5, 2013
    While it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage toWhile it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage to science fiction films.", according to the director, Joseph Kosinski. Personally, I feel it was one of the best films I had ever seen. An interesting, engaging story. I loved Tom Cruise as Jack Harper! I think they should make a prequel, to address certain plot holes that weren't answered and to build on the story. Worth your money, at least.

If you liked this review, read my other work and mark this as helpful.
  55. Sep 14, 2013
    I felt motivated to give this movie a review because of how critics were downgrading it,sure it was confusing in the details,and maybe it copied a lot from other movies,mabye tom cruise showed lack of emotion,but who really cares,it was great movie,great story,a movie I watched twice
  56. Feb 18, 2014
    I can't think of a movie I've seen recently which has been more unfairly reviewed. Oblivion has been called dull, overlong and the performances lacking in humanity. When you follow the plot of the movie through to the end, you will realise how ludicrous the last charge is. This film is a stunning homage to 70s sci-fi - but pre-Star Wars 70s sci-fi. So if you're looking for trashI can't think of a movie I've seen recently which has been more unfairly reviewed. Oblivion has been called dull, overlong and the performances lacking in humanity. When you follow the plot of the movie through to the end, you will realise how ludicrous the last charge is. This film is a stunning homage to 70s sci-fi - but pre-Star Wars 70s sci-fi. So if you're looking for trash compactors, and trash-talking space princesses look elsewhere. Oblivion paints an epic landscape of barren post-apocalyptic wastelands, the sleekest technology populated only by an odd Adam-and-Eve pairing - sensual but alienated. All becomes clear in the fullness of time, and the mystery unfolds, deliciously, I think. There are themes here, the most obvious being ecological, but also in relationship to the role of memory in identity. For some there may be too many long shots and musings between the set-pieces, but these too are beautifully shot and nicely set up. Expand
  57. Jun 26, 2014
    While it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage toWhile it may not be the most original movie out there, maybe cliched, and a mixture of other sci-fi films, Oblivion is still a great film with some of the most beautiful CGI/special effects out there. I actually liked the plot, even though it was slightly confusing and left some questions unanswered. For those who criticize it for being to similar to other films, Oblivion "pays homage to science fiction films.", according to the director, Joseph Kosinski. For those who are sci-fi addicts this may be bland and forgetable, but those somewhat new to movies will enjoy it. Personally, I really just enjoyed this a lot. I'm sure if i go back and watch it again, it'll have more plot holes and errors than I remember. But I'd rather just remember being entertained for two hours, and leave that memory in the sweet land of nostalgia. An interesting, engaging story. I loved Tom Cruise as Jack Harper! I think they should make a prequel, to address certain plot holes that weren't answered and to build on the story. Worth your money, at least.

If you liked this review, read my other work and mark this as helpful.

(Now I'm expecting Edge of Tomorrow to be even better than this because it was similar in format, a blend of sci-fi, and managed to pull it off even better.)
  58. Dec 13, 2013
    actually had to sign up for metacritic so I could post this. for all the hatters out there, critics (to our left) who are as optimistic as a South Philadelphian sports fan, or people who just can root for Tom Cruise anymore... this was an amazing movie but just not just visually, storytelling as well. One of those movies where you can't wait to find out whats around the corner whileactually had to sign up for metacritic so I could post this. for all the hatters out there, critics (to our left) who are as optimistic as a South Philadelphian sports fan, or people who just can root for Tom Cruise anymore... this was an amazing movie but just not just visually, storytelling as well. One of those movies where you can't wait to find out whats around the corner while mentally crossing your fingers while you hope the story doesn't end. its got a little bit of everything, and it a hero story, the best kind. I know the real "critics" have to work from pessimism up (like dissing your government while you sit around and do nothing) but they're should be this type of reviewing section where some of us who aren't that jaded and numb to something original (and yes I do see similarities from other movies...we all live on this planet together) love to root for the hero, even if he once slide across a floor in his boxers... so for real, for once...stop hating.
    go into a movie with no expectations,little to/no previews (yes that is possible), and one day you might enjoy a movie again... almost like it was the first one you remember. BOOM 10.
  59. Jun 13, 2014
    Tom Cruise is fantastic in this movie but moreover the director and writer does an amazing job. It was gripping and will keep you guessing until the end. One of the best films of the year!
  60. Sep 27, 2014
    This is the one of the best soundtracks i've ever heard and one of the best sci-fi movies i've ever seen. I can watch it over and over.
    Both have a magical atmosphere. I wish more movies like this.
  61. Dec 8, 2014
    Engaging and beautiful. A well paced and thoughtful tale in this era of vacuous explosions. I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise but I have to admit he plays this role well, and is well supported, especially by Andrea Riseborough.

1. Reviewed by: Ignatiy Vishnevetsky
    Jun 11, 2013
    Oblivion is a special effects extravaganza with a lot of blatant symbolism and very little meaning. It starts slow, turns dull and then becomes tedious — which makes it a marginal improvement over the earlier film. It features shiny surfaces, clicky machinery and no recognizable human behavior. It's equally ambitious and gormless.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Apr 22, 2013
    In space, Jack hopes, someone may hear you dream. But in a movie theater, no one will see you yawn.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Apr 22, 2013
    Yet Oblivion is worth the trip. There are two reasons for this. The first is the cinematography of Claudio Miranda.