6.1

1. Oct 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A Shakespearean tragedy disguised as a psychological thriller / horror film. The movie has a strong impact if you suspend the expectation to be scared and shocked because it simply doesn't do that.

Why is that? Because you catch on rather quickly that most of the movie is an illusion. The two main characters are reliving the trauma of their past in real time rather than flashing back to it. The director makes this perfectly obvious by interleaving the past and present, having the past versions of the characters occupy the same space and time as the adult characters. As a result, you realize you can't really believe anything you are seeing and fear arises from what we believe to be real not what we don't. There are a few of those jump out of your skin moments but they are entirely predictable as in someone turns around slowly and 7 Days chic is standing there - meh.

The story though was heart-wrenching. You have boy, Tim, who inadvertently kills his father and (SPOILER ALERT) sister Kaylee because of this mirror thing from hell. A family is torn apart methodically by a sinister and malevolent force that has killed many others before. The scene at the end sticks in my mind like retina burn from an arc welder; Tim furiously pleading "It was the mirror" as he is driven away in a police cruiser and his sister materializing with the signature chromed eyes of the mirror's victims next to his parents with the same telltale trait in the window of the family's old house. Its at the moment when it really sinks in "Holy sh**, he actually killed his sister, he's the only one of his family still alive, he's going away to the big house, and no one will ever believe it wasn't his fault." No happy ending here. Its melancholy, depressing, and truly tragic.

But not scary. And that is why I have to rate it down. It passes itself off as a horror thriller but its really a tragedy. Came for one thing got something else.
  2. Jun 7, 2014
    With mind-twist plot and brilliant visual structure, Oculus is easily the best horror film since The Conjuring and the best psychological horror since the phenomenal of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining.
  3. Apr 25, 2014
    Despite being heavy on tension instead of scares, Oculus never stops generating new ideas on the way up to the end, with a mind bending premise, complex build up with jumps back and fourth in time, and a distinctive ending, Oculus is a memorable film for generations to come.
  4. Apr 12, 2014
    This is scary, well acted, and well written. My only gripe is that it probably should have been a standard 90-95 minute run time instead of 110 or so as it is. ***Minor spoilers*** This movie has convincing and disturbing portrayals of family violence, anger, discord and fear. You may get upset if you've experienced these things in your own life because these are very accurate depictionsThis is scary, well acted, and well written. My only gripe is that it probably should have been a standard 90-95 minute run time instead of 110 or so as it is. ***Minor spoilers*** This movie has convincing and disturbing portrayals of family violence, anger, discord and fear. You may get upset if you've experienced these things in your own life because these are very accurate depictions of children in fear of their own parents. Otherwise the scares are there and this is a seriously malevolent entity that destroys lives at its leisure. The pace is deliberate, the gore is judicious, and the ending banishes all hope of happiness. Expand
  5. Sep 13, 2014
    I was really impressed considering I didn't have much expectations. The story was interesting and never boring. Even more so, I felt the overall acting was strong. The movie was a nice surprise.
  6. Apr 21, 2014
    An interesting twist on a genre begging for an interesting twist. Two distinct story lines of two siblings horrored past and attempt to confront and resolve that horror in the present. As the story progresses the two story lines become more and more intertwined and the resulting film is an often creepy and scary as it unfolds from the eyes of this girl and boy both as children and grown toAn interesting twist on a genre begging for an interesting twist. Two distinct story lines of two siblings horrored past and attempt to confront and resolve that horror in the present. As the story progresses the two story lines become more and more intertwined and the resulting film is an often creepy and scary as it unfolds from the eyes of this girl and boy both as children and grown to adulthood. It centers around a haunted mirror whose influence affects all around it. Seamless transitions from one time to the next keep you on the edge of your seat and the whole time the mirror has us doubting our own eyes. Horror done well with excellent performances all around. Definitely one of my favorites over the last several years. Expand
  7. Jun 24, 2014
    Great atmosphere, acting, camerawork, writing, special effects, etc., I could go on. The bottom line is that this is the kind of "horror" movie that I diligently wait for. Unfortunately, they are few and far between. If you want the classic campy horror film, go find yourself a copy of Saw or The Hills Have Eyes. If however, you are craving something a little smarter, a little lessGreat atmosphere, acting, camerawork, writing, special effects, etc., I could go on. The bottom line is that this is the kind of "horror" movie that I diligently wait for. Unfortunately, they are few and far between. If you want the classic campy horror film, go find yourself a copy of Saw or The Hills Have Eyes. If however, you are craving something a little smarter, a little less obvious, and a little more evil, look no further. Expand
  8. Apr 12, 2014
    When most people hear the term "scary" these days, their mind instantly snaps to the thought of them being forced into shock by the ever-so expected jump scare. For those who are expecting such; meet Oculus, a movie which takes that expectation and chokes it into submission. Sure there are a couple jump scares implemented [none that caught me, sadly], but this is more of a psychologicalWhen most people hear the term "scary" these days, their mind instantly snaps to the thought of them being forced into shock by the ever-so expected jump scare. For those who are expecting such; meet Oculus, a movie which takes that expectation and chokes it into submission. Sure there are a couple jump scares implemented [none that caught me, sadly], but this is more of a psychological horror movie that requires you to use your brain to get the full effect. That's right: you're going to have to use your mind to enjoy this movie, and if you can't do that, you'd might as well see something else. Rio 2 also released today, if you needed a suggestion. Anyways...

Oculus will make you think, bend your thoughts, freak you out a bit, then make you think some more, which is definitely something I'd like to see more often within horror media. It'd be nice if more of it didn't just scare me with freaky monster designs, or jump scares, then make me think "I wonder if that thing will move" or **** it's been quiet for too long... There's a scare coming." the whole time. Wondering if what was happening during the entire film was real or fake really hit it off for me, and the ending, ooh~, that ending, was definitely one of the better ones I've seen from the genre in quite some time.

So is this movie actually scary? That depends on the kind of person you are. Is it "The scariest film since The Conjuring?" Hell no. That movie just about gave me a heart attack. However, Oculus is a great movie that does 'scary' in a way that feels more like how terrifying it is when you're about to finish a puzzle but can't find the last piece, than how terrifying it is when someone jumps at you from the shadows.
  9. Sep 2, 2014
    "Oculus" is a very well-made horror film. It relies on a dark atmosphere rather than blood or jump scares, and the mirror is quite interesting and disturbing. The way the story is told, the past and the present being told at the same time and eventually interconnecting towards the end, is pretty cool, but it becomes somewhat confusing in the third act when the past and the present are"Oculus" is a very well-made horror film. It relies on a dark atmosphere rather than blood or jump scares, and the mirror is quite interesting and disturbing. The way the story is told, the past and the present being told at the same time and eventually interconnecting towards the end, is pretty cool, but it becomes somewhat confusing in the third act when the past and the present are blended together. It's overall a very satisfying, enjoyable, and interesting movie, and I highly recommend it. Expand
  10. Apr 12, 2014
    The suspense in Oculus is created by never allowing the audience (or the characters) to know what is real and what is hallucination. I thought the film was well-acted, but the plot was not very strong and sometimes the action was much too hectic. I was not bored, but the film did not deliver the scares than some less well-made and original horror films do (example: The Purge). Sinister,The suspense in Oculus is created by never allowing the audience (or the characters) to know what is real and what is hallucination. I thought the film was well-acted, but the plot was not very strong and sometimes the action was much too hectic. I was not bored, but the film did not deliver the scares than some less well-made and original horror films do (example: The Purge). Sinister, which I think is a far better film than Oculus, is both well-made and delivers more shocks and shivers, even when I’ve watched it a several times on cable (without commercials) after seeing it in the theater. So I would say Oculus is an interesting film for horror fans like myself to see once, but it is not very memorable and I guessed the ending long before the end of the film. Expand
  11. Apr 11, 2014
    While there are moments of horror tropes you’ve certainly seen before — the haunted mirror, the family slowly driven to violence by a menacing force — ‘Oculus’ proves that the devil is in the details. Quite literally.
  12. Apr 11, 2014
    Oculus is probably one of the creepiest movies I have seen in a long time and it disgusted me in some parts...in a good way. If you're a horror fan then this is a must see for you, Although I do recommend that if you do not like gore at all, that you avoid this film.
  13. Apr 11, 2014
    Oculus is one of the horror films that has a strong plot and an interesting premise to grind in for 105 minutes. Over watching this, I find it scary and very eerie in terms of atmosphere and chilling actions. It's one of the must-sees for this month. You will find it great.
  14. Sep 3, 2014
    Gee whiz! A horror movie that does not insult your intelligence. There are a few thump/bump moments and a couple of shock-in-your-face scenes, but overall "Oculus" has a plot that actually tells a satisfying story. Things happen for a reason. The movie is not exactly subtle, but it is certainly not the shear nonsense of so many recent horror movies. The Blu-Ray DVD came out today. See it!
  15. Apr 13, 2014
    The success of the film rests heavily on the acting ability and presence of the two actresses playing Kaylie - Karen Gillan and Annalise Basso. They do an outstanding job. Rory Cochrane & Katee Sackhoff, two actors that I've liked in prior roles, are really secondary here. Beyond the Kaylies, what truly drives the movie is the sound design and score. Wow, were they powerful. The trailerThe success of the film rests heavily on the acting ability and presence of the two actresses playing Kaylie - Karen Gillan and Annalise Basso. They do an outstanding job. Rory Cochrane & Katee Sackhoff, two actors that I've liked in prior roles, are really secondary here. Beyond the Kaylies, what truly drives the movie is the sound design and score. Wow, were they powerful. The trailer for this film makes it look just like every other of these creepy, gothic-style films from the last couple of years, but it's got a stripped down, clean feel to it that makes it unique and justifies the metascore. If only the dude behind me in the theater didn't sound like he was about to cough up a lung for most of the film, I might have enjoyed it even more. Expand
  16. Apr 25, 2014
    After seeing oculus it was one of the greatest scary movie ever . the bad thing was the ending it really sucked . Know were on the edge of are seats and the thing are minds is "what the hell is gonna happen next ". Grade A+
  17. May 20, 2014
    The movie is extremely slow and builds up to 10 minutes of disappointment at the end. What happens to the main character at the end is utter nonsense, she never trusted the mirror but conveniently at the end she trusts it. I honestly wanted my money back. You can not paint a character to hate something the entire movie (her entire life) and then change that character completely at the endThe movie is extremely slow and builds up to 10 minutes of disappointment at the end. What happens to the main character at the end is utter nonsense, she never trusted the mirror but conveniently at the end she trusts it. I honestly wanted my money back. You can not paint a character to hate something the entire movie (her entire life) and then change that character completely at the end to fit your story arc. It felt cheap and made the movie even worse. Expand
  18. Aug 30, 2014
    I don't see the merits of this film. The pacing was way too slow, the time-frame jumps around from past to present and back too much, and it just has a '70s B-movie vibe to it. Waste of time.
  19. May 16, 2014
    A predictable, thrillless, tiring, mess is less scary and more what the hell is going on. Where it lacks in scares makes up in set design. The poor dialogue, predictable story, and "saw it coming after the first 15 minutes" ending really lets you down once you leave.
  20. Sep 3, 2014
    Nothing good for the expectatives, really a bad movie. i was waiting some intense and really scary scenes but pfff, this is a piece of crap, bad movie, bad history.... i will can fill this with all the bad but i dont want lose many time doing this.
  21. Jul 31, 2014
    Certainly not your typical paranormal horror film considering it actually has a plot and it does make you think through out. My biggest issue with out, and why I rated it so low, was that it was tough to get into. It was painfully slow and over acted through out, It really took a toll on you after a short while. It's still worth giving a shot but I simply did not care for it.
  22. Apr 12, 2014
    Director Mike Flanagan and co-writer Jeff Howard expand on their original 30-minute short film about a lethal piece of furniture "Oculus: Chapter 3" to a feature-length film. While it's a cut above the usual paranormal thriller, its 105 minute runtime doesn't dramatically improve on its mysterious element and it falls short on dread and tension. While "Oculus" slowly develops an unsettlingDirector Mike Flanagan and co-writer Jeff Howard expand on their original 30-minute short film about a lethal piece of furniture "Oculus: Chapter 3" to a feature-length film. While it's a cut above the usual paranormal thriller, its 105 minute runtime doesn't dramatically improve on its mysterious element and it falls short on dread and tension. While "Oculus" slowly develops an unsettling story that cleverly undermines an age-old horror-film cliché, it's never quite as scary or as memorable as one might have hoped.

After shooting his father and spending years in psychiatric care, Tim Russell (Brenton Thwaites), reunites with his sister Kaylie (Karen Gillan), who claims that an antique mirror in their father's study was what destroyed their family, as well as the families of many owners before them. Tim reluctantly agrees to help Kaylie document the mirror's effects, but all goes awry when it begins to play with their perceptions-intermingling past and present, memory and reality, and forcing them to witness again their parents' violent relationship, with devastating results.

What's unique about "Oculus" is its structure, which cuts back and forth between Tim and Kaylie in 2012 and their experiences 10 years earlier. Flanagan daringly cross cuts between flashbacks and the present, and even sometimes unities the two storylines in the same shot. Flanagan uses the back story to inform the audience of the details of how this started, while at the same time using it to terrorize Tim and Kaylie, who aren't quite sure if what they are seeing -- and doing -- is real or not.

Flanagan creates a number of eerie visual parallels between the past and present, but eventually the slow-burn suspense sequences and sudden shocks become increasingly repetitive. Throughout the film's slow build-up, Flanagan effectively incorporates some creepy images and the film convincingly earns its frights the old-fashioned way. However, the third act offers an escalation in action accompanied with a scene of shock that doesn't intensify or enhance its predictable, lackluster finale. To his credit, Flanagan takes a dubious premise further than most could. That being said, next time just smash the damn mirror.
  23. Apr 22, 2014
    I really did not like this film. There wasnt any reason for anything to be happening. And while the idea of the events were taking place in two time periods at the same time for the same characters was a cool idea. It just fell flat on its face for this film. There was no reason for any off the events happening except some ghost in a mirror making the father do the things he did. SomeI really did not like this film. There wasnt any reason for anything to be happening. And while the idea of the events were taking place in two time periods at the same time for the same characters was a cool idea. It just fell flat on its face for this film. There was no reason for any off the events happening except some ghost in a mirror making the father do the things he did. Some people got killed, for some shock value, but this movie didnt scare me or make me feel anything for the characters one bit. Just an aweful expirience for me. Expand
  24. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oculus was hard to follow between their past and present and I think that the ending wasn't good. Other than that every thing else was alright. Usually in horror movies something good happens at the end, but not in this one Expand
  25. Apr 16, 2014
    Oculus is one of horror films which have only one reason to see and reason is amazing Redhead Karen Gillan. Remember, Karen Gillan and no other reason.
    Every few minutes - flashback, maybe you are right that is new way to make horror movie, but I think it is new way to confuse. Worst movie I saw in that genre.
  26. Sep 17, 2014
    Oculus is like biting into a turd burger knowing full well it's going to taste like a big steamy dump. Sadly with that said I still watched the piece of garbage. It is bad. Very bad, terribly bad.

I will not say much about this piece of filth as I'd rather not relive it. Acting is bad, plot is worse, and the scares are all wanna-be jump scares. It sucks. It gets a zero. End of review.
  27. Apr 17, 2014
    A young brother and sister survive the effects of a haunted mirror only to relive the evil 11 years later. The concept had potential and the cross-cutting between their present and past has promise. Unfortunately, the pacing drags, the scares are minimal and the whole thing falls apart.
  28. Sep 7, 2014
    A film that literally makes you crazy, trying to reveal what happened and happened in the silent House away from nothing and close to everything (the typical atmosphere of American terror). Characters maybe fell short in personality and to say confusing conclusion; These two factors caused a slump in my score. But that does not desmerita it cause me a couple of real screams.
  29. Sep 5, 2014
    Perhaps not the scariest horror film, but it is one of the most original. It's atmosphere is filled with tension and uneasiness, and it's constantly playing with the fact that you, just like the characters, can't always believe what you see. That more than makes up for the lack of scares.

It also helps that it's extremely well acted and has a great plot that will suck you in. It might not be all that scary in the end, but the way the twists and tricks up it's sleeve means it is one that messes with your mind. Trying to figure out what's real and how things are going to play out based on these illusions leads to a satisfying payoff with the ending. It's not perfect, but it stands next to The Conjuring as one of the best horror movies to come out in a long time. A must watch for genre fans.
  30. Sep 8, 2014
    It kept me entertained most of the time but when it comes to be even remotely scary, it fails big time. However, the film is creative and makes for a unique horror movie.
  31. May 26, 2014
    Good enough to keep me entertained the whole time, but if your looking for big scares, this isn't the right movie. More of a messes-with-your-mind kinda movie.
  32. Apr 19, 2014
    "Oculus"'s ending may leave a poor taste in your mouth, but the brilliant camera and narrative work at hand is undeniable, as well as some fantastic mythological world-building and use of tension.
  33. Jun 22, 2014
    #sosa #Boring #weakScript #badActors No asusta , #goodPhoto buena fotografía . buuuu zzzzzz Es un copy paste mal hecho de películas de terror de culto. Espera a que salga en DVD
  34. Apr 12, 2014
    This is a tricky mirror and you will have to wait for 3 to 4 sequels to nail the damn thing. Hope Tim does not screw in the next one when he comes out of mental hospital after another 10 yrs (that means he'll be about 31 yrs played by Bradley Cooper).
  35. Dec 28, 2014
    Good movie, great potential. It seems many folks didn't like the ending. Why? Because it hits too close to home but doesn't provide the outcome we are all secretly moving towards. The world of duality is unreal, and we are performing the dance of the maya but have the same goal, which is awakening and returning home. Movies that hit on those real concepts only succeed if there is aGood movie, great potential. It seems many folks didn't like the ending. Why? Because it hits too close to home but doesn't provide the outcome we are all secretly moving towards. The world of duality is unreal, and we are performing the dance of the maya but have the same goal, which is awakening and returning home. Movies that hit on those real concepts only succeed if there is a breakthrough (like the Matrix). A Course In Miracles explains our hidden Self and how we get out of the illusion. But it is fun watching the one Mind working through the one problem... Expand
  36. Dec 27, 2014
    Up until the ending, this movie delivers some of the creepiest and most thrilling moments I've seen from horror movies lately. It's just a shame that it builds up all of that tension and excitement and then lets you down with the ending that can only be described as anticlimactic. In my eyes, if a movie can't stand on it's own then it can't stand at all. No one should have to say, "wellUp until the ending, this movie delivers some of the creepiest and most thrilling moments I've seen from horror movies lately. It's just a shame that it builds up all of that tension and excitement and then lets you down with the ending that can only be described as anticlimactic. In my eyes, if a movie can't stand on it's own then it can't stand at all. No one should have to say, "well this movie is great if there's gonna be a sequel." There's no sense of finality or hope at all, and while horror movies don't really need hope, it makes for a better movie in my opinion. Expand
  37. Apr 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Am I really the only one who thought that this film was really mediocre? Not only did it mess with my head to the point where I felt like I was about to get a headache, but it was also a complete mess! What started out as such a promising and interesting concept quickly went downhill as the film progressed. Flashbacks occurred occasionally at the beginning, but a little towards the halfway mark they got way carried away with them to the point where every 5 minutes it would go from the present to the past again. And if it wasn't confusing enough already, pretty soon they started intertwining the past and present with the younger versions of the two leads seeing themselves in situations from the present and vice versa. And just when you thought it couldn't get any more disappointing, the ending happens and needless to say, the ending really pissed me off! Much like last year's "The Purge" a great concept for a film was poorly executed. The case couldn't be any stronger with this film. Overall, a huge letdown for me. Expand
  38. May 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although it is good to a see an original horror movie, Oculus is very light on scares. There was a lot of potential here but it didn't come together. The switching between past and present is done poorly. The end is also very predicable. The film makers tried hard to produce an interesting movie... but it isn't. Not even Karen Gillan could save this movie. Expand
  39. Jun 23, 2014
    This film could actually have been a decent one, if only the evil entity that the characters are fighting was actually beatable, but it's not and whatever they do to stop it inevitably fails becuase of the entity's peculiar power. I don't like it when there's no chance for the characters, it makes it all rather pointless. Also, the girl randomly decides to trust the entity towards the end,This film could actually have been a decent one, if only the evil entity that the characters are fighting was actually beatable, but it's not and whatever they do to stop it inevitably fails becuase of the entity's peculiar power. I don't like it when there's no chance for the characters, it makes it all rather pointless. Also, the girl randomly decides to trust the entity towards the end, which makes no sense at all and this only happens because obviously whoever wrote this couldn't come up with anything better to end the story. Disappointing film. Expand
  40. Aug 6, 2014
    This movie doesn't have the jump scares most thought it would have but it does have its moments. The way the movie is shown is very creative and makes it a unique horror movie. However, the ending seemed forced which made me and my friends feel annoyed when it was over. What could of been a great horror movie was ruined by the ending.
  41. Sep 4, 2014
    Another typical no hope contemporary horror film where nobody wins-and everybody gets completely and utterly screwed beyond any hope of any victory whatsoever. Films like this might as well use hideous death metal soundtracks and offer the audience free suicide pills. These films are all made from 'formulas' as in all they think they need to make a good horror film is a young woman & aAnother typical no hope contemporary horror film where nobody wins-and everybody gets completely and utterly screwed beyond any hope of any victory whatsoever. Films like this might as well use hideous death metal soundtracks and offer the audience free suicide pills. These films are all made from 'formulas' as in all they think they need to make a good horror film is a young woman & a male of a similar age-and old house or seedy neighbourhood-plus satan. It makes it all work-in their minds. What you have here in this film is an ode to nihilism philosophy that I don't find very rewarding. I don't agree that victory isn't possible against evil but what these films say is victory against evil is unobtainable. Which creates psychological paralysis which can extend to physical paralysis-in the face of adversity. Expand
  42. Oct 27, 2014
    Most horror movies right now are just full of blood and innards. Despite those two aspects being literally inside our bodies, it's just a shallow and overused cheap tactic that hasn't been effective for me for the past years. The Conjuring has tried the old classic horror formula, and it did well, but it didn't match the hype it built up for me. Not quite as Oculus.

Oculus is one of

Oculus is one of those not-so-popular movies in my country (Philippines) that should have been much more popular than The Conjuring. It brings a fresh air from the less-build-up-more-jumpscare trend right now. The story grew on me and the dread was consistent right when the mirror gets back into their house. The back story was - though understandably not in-depth- excellent, giving as a gist of just how dreadful the mirror's power and longevity was. This was the point when I bet to myself that they weren't going to win.

Most people say that the ending should be the best part of the movie. Though some of you may say otherwise, at least in my experience of conversing with people it's true. If an ending doesn't give closure or doesn't end the phenomenon, people are blinded by "Well that was **** as soon as the credits roll. This movie for me is different. The backstory already supported the ending. Two 20-year-olds who only had themselves to believe in was already a telltale sign. The movie's point was to show how two modern-day people had their lives ruined just the same as the past owners of the mirror and their failed fight against it. It showed that there are things that can't be conquered unlike the trope that "shattered protagonists defeat a strong phenomenon just through sheer will and fighting spirit."

The whole movie is like a perfect adaptation of a short story. The short story gives you an idea what the phenomenon is about, and it ends with something that will stick with you for a while. It's THAT exact for my tastes. People would argue or beg to differ, and I understand we all have differing opinions, but this isn't your typical Hollywood common movie where spoon-feeding and simplicity matters. It's a great horror film with a masterful story. I haven't been scared for a long time, and this movie just hit me in the right spot.

Oculus has its faults, like some jumpscares here and there, but it wasn't excessive. Shock and terror are two different things. The first is easy to pull off and the second needs mastery. The plot of an object causing misery to the owner and sometimes people around isn't original. In a world where the horror industry has been spewing out of tons of movies and stories would soon exhaust the simple and easy tropes. If the were to succumb to these tropes, they at least have to do it right.

Oculus succumbed to that trope, but it did it right.
  43. May 15, 2014
    Oculus is a movie full of atmosphere and rhythms. As directed by Mike Flanagan, there's a steady building undercurrent of dread at its core, something that works so gradually you forget how silly the initial premise is. Kaylie (a fun Karen Gillan) takes killing the eponymous mirror seriously, but she's full of wit and joy so it doesn't hang as needless portentousness on the audience. TimOculus is a movie full of atmosphere and rhythms. As directed by Mike Flanagan, there's a steady building undercurrent of dread at its core, something that works so gradually you forget how silly the initial premise is. Kaylie (a fun Karen Gillan) takes killing the eponymous mirror seriously, but she's full of wit and joy so it doesn't hang as needless portentousness on the audience. Tim (Brendon Thwaites), her brother, is the voice of reason that actually manages to goose the movie with some moments of genuine curiosity (is it the mirror that's crazy or them? It's actually an impressive feat that Flanagan makes you buy that these characters could indeed be crazy, and not just being used as unnecessary plot padding).

Edited flawlessly (also by Mike Flanagan), cutting between past and present on scenes that feel natural, all while building to a surreal and sustained climax of unease and terror. Even if it is a bit of letdown (the filmmaking makes you think you are watching something just a tad more exciting than it really is. It hits very familiar beats on its way to a predictable ending).

What's ultimately most impressive is that this movie full of unease and steady movements, and plot and character development (the movie casually asks questions about perception and reality, especially within the context of marriage; a point which Katee Sackhoff in particular helps drive home), and not based on any existing property, while also having an R rating (and not a very hard one at that; which is a compliment, evoking more like last year's ) got a nationwide release. It's too bad it didn't do better at the box office, but the mere fact this exists as a theatrical movie is a good thing.

The Newton Brothers did the score, and while it's not a very diverse or far reaching score, it is one that operates on the same level as the movie's pacing. The repeated use of snyth-y sounding "wuhb wuhbs" was genuinely hypnotizing and worked extremely well within the context of the movie.
  44. Jan 14, 2015
    A very solid horror movie with a very interesting story. It's not perfect and it does rely some on horror movie stereotypes but all in all it is an original film and was quite entertaining.
  45. Apr 14, 2015
    Oculus certainly surprised me. The beginning is a bit slow as it starts to get into the swing of things, but the man, once it kicks in, it really kicks in. Absolutely terrifying, Oculus takes an interesting premise and knocks it out of the park thanks to strong writing, direction, special effects, and acting. It can get a little silly at times, but horror movies of this kind require someOculus certainly surprised me. The beginning is a bit slow as it starts to get into the swing of things, but the man, once it kicks in, it really kicks in. Absolutely terrifying, Oculus takes an interesting premise and knocks it out of the park thanks to strong writing, direction, special effects, and acting. It can get a little silly at times, but horror movies of this kind require some kind of "leap of faith" and while you can easily poke holes in a lot of things, it kind of defeats the purpose of watching the movie. Ultimately, horror is supposed to scare you and this one delivers those scares, as well as a killer mood that really sucks you in with a sense of dread that is evident throughout. I also hate gore, so I am glad this one had little to no gore and instead tried to scare you through its mood and effects, which is what I prefer. As a whole, I am not sure why the audience was so lukewarm to this one, since I found it really entertaining and quite well made. Overall, Oculus is a fun watch that couples scares with good production elements to make the ideal film. Expand
  46. Jan 6, 2015
    More freaky than scary, and there are a surprisingly scant number of scary moments, this film really does a good job at challenging the audience to think and be engaged as you wonder whether or not what's going on is real or not. Slow build-up and development, but it's worth the wait. I don't watch scary movies often, but at the behest of one of my good friends I watched it and came awayMore freaky than scary, and there are a surprisingly scant number of scary moments, this film really does a good job at challenging the audience to think and be engaged as you wonder whether or not what's going on is real or not. Slow build-up and development, but it's worth the wait. I don't watch scary movies often, but at the behest of one of my good friends I watched it and came away impressed and entertained. Expand
  47. Mar 1, 2015
    Perhaps I went into this with far too high expectations as I had been hearing nothing but praise, but to my dismay I thought it was just average. Still better than the mountain of horrot garbage that has been released in recent years.

I liked the psychological aspect of the plot, a shame it wasn't played out more, opting for a more generic twist. Acting was mostly bland, aside from Sackhoff who looked like she was trying her hardest.

Overall:
    Oculus is an OK-ish horror that had an interesting premise but lackluster conclusion. A rental at best.
  48. Aug 6, 2014
    A surprisingly entertaining horror film throughout the entire movie. The creepy moments aren't only in the images but also in the guessing is this real or not. B+
  49. Aug 13, 2014
    Nice horror movie. I give it an 8 because it does everything a good 'haunting' movie should, but has its own personality and identity. The director/writer does a good job mixing up the suspense and there are a lot good 'jumpy' moments. I honestly enjoyed the mysterious build up more than the climactic second half of the film. This is the first time I've seen Karen Gilliam in a leadingNice horror movie. I give it an 8 because it does everything a good 'haunting' movie should, but has its own personality and identity. The director/writer does a good job mixing up the suspense and there are a lot good 'jumpy' moments. I honestly enjoyed the mysterious build up more than the climactic second half of the film. This is the first time I've seen Karen Gilliam in a leading role that didn't involve a TARDIS, and I was really impressed. Her character has a great personality, and she is very convincing when things get terrifying and surreal. Horror films have a bad record when it comes to sequels, but I think if the writing, directing, and acting stay at this level; the follow-up could be better than the original. Expand
  50. Jul 24, 2014
    SCARED ME!,best horror film since the conjuring, tricky,gripping, tense,thrilling,a lot of scary moments, very entertaining horror film,good acting,stunning visuals make this film good, VERY GOOD SCARY HORROR MOVIE
  51. Jul 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oculus is a fresh installation in the horror genre which has an original story, a great cast and a mix of past and present sequences. It has some great jump scares but in the whole the movie doesn't really want to scare, but to thrill and to have a twist ending. I honestly think that the writers were bored and couldn't find a better way to close the film as it leaves many questions and for sure there is not going to be a sequel and so everybody's question are never going to be answered.It had a great potential, but somewhere in the end it lost it.Could have been muuuuuuch better. Still is something original and a horror movie that needs your attention. Check it out! Expand
  52. Sep 16, 2014
    I really don't understand the low reviews for this film. For a film in the horror genre, this is top notch. It was scary, well acted, and had a good storyline. I can think of all of about 5 or 6 horror movies that meet this criteria. This is not 12 years a slave people, so don't rate it on that basis!
  53. Feb 8, 2015
    It is often said that a mirror offers not only a reflection of one’s own physical being, but also a reflection of their soul. The eyes meanwhile are far more subjective, being connected to the human brain which may lie to us more times than we would like to believe. When the physical frame can corrupt the mental existence so easily, how are we truly able to discern between the truth andIt is often said that a mirror offers not only a reflection of one’s own physical being, but also a reflection of their soul. The eyes meanwhile are far more subjective, being connected to the human brain which may lie to us more times than we would like to believe. When the physical frame can corrupt the mental existence so easily, how are we truly able to discern between the truth and the false truth. That is precisely what Mike Flanagan explores in his feature-length directorial debut.

Oculus is a supernatural / psychological horror starring Karen Gillan of Doctor Who fame and adapted from Flanagan’s popular short film Oculus: Chapter 3 – The Man With The Plan. The story begins in 2002 with the Russell family as brother and sister Tim (Brenton Thwaites) and Kaylie (Karen Gillan) try to escape their family after he had killed their mother. We then jump ahead 11 years where we learn that Tim had shot his father and has since been in an Institution. On the day of his release his sister greets him only to announce that she bought ‘it’ and expects him to keep his promise to kill ‘it’. The ‘it’ in question is revealed to be a large antique mirror. After years of clinical supervision Tim has grown to accept the incident on logical and psychological terms. Kaylie however sternly refutes that their father was not to blame and that it was in fact a supernatural phenomenon courtesy of the mirror. Reluctantly, Tim follows his sister back to their old family home where Kaylie has set up an intricate experiment to prove once and for all that the mirror is evil.

What follows is a run-through of the long list of horrific scenarios each of the mirror’s owners faced, dating back to the 1700s, along with a detailed series of precautions Kaylie has in placed in order to keep the pair from falling too deep into the abyss. You see the primary and unique danger that the mirror seemingly presents is that, as the advertising tagline states, ‘you see what it wants you to see’. For instance, upon biting into an apple, Kaylee ends up pulling shards of a light bulb from her mouth, only afterward to be met with concerned looks from her brother as she has been painfully spitting out mere slices of apple. The rest of the plot is unravelled as the pair attempt to survive in the house whilst reliving their childhood memories of the original event. The juxtaposition of both stories are weaved neatly together in a very smart narrative that constantly places the audience in the same situation as the two leads. It is believed that the mirror causes plants to die and animals to disappear. And yet both are seemingly explained; cameras show Tim and Karen moving the plants, and whilst Karen remembers their pet dog having suddenly disappeared whilst trapped with the mirror, Tim recalls their parents discussing it had to be put down whilst at the doctors. The viewer soon follows this train of thought by their own accord. As children they seemingly could not destroy the mirror, and now they are reluctant to do so without proving its power first. Perhaps this is indeed due to an unspeakable force, or it is simply their refusal to eradicate a symbol of their helplessness when faced with such a traumatic event. Only the viewer can truly decide what to make of the events that unfold.

In the aftermath of Paranormal Activity, the director of Oculus was initially approached by many studios who wished to turn the project into a found footage movie. Flanagan outright refused and only accepted Intrepid Pictures’ offer under the obligation that it was not found footage. The end result is something of a double-edged sword. On the one hand it lacks what many modern horror audiences love: jump scares and gore. The only element of any noticeable comparison to popular horror films nowadays such as Insidious and Paranormal Activity are the odd humanoid apparitions adorned with glowing eyes. Personally, I found these ‘ghouls’ to be the only notable fault of the film as they simply something we’ve all seen before and not presented in any particularly unique sense. They are simply there to bring in the punters and deliver the odd attempt at being ‘scary’. However the other side to Oculus is what prevails and truly works in this critic’s opinion. The plot, consisting of two interesting stories, is notched up to eleven thanks to an intelligent script that delivers enthralling dialogue, enhanced by the charismatic and somewhat disturbing Gillan, and a slow-burn pace that sucks the viewer in until they soon realise just how deep they have gotten, attempting to figure out just where they are within the timelines and just what is really happening.
    In avoiding cheap shots and shock value we instead we receive a traditional horror film that harks back to the simpler times - Full Review @ItsMuchMore
  54. Apr 25, 2014
  55. Nov 23, 2014
    Oculus no solo es una muy buena película de terror que impacta mientras avanza la película, si no que también logra un resultado eficaz, que, sin duda alguna, va a ser considerada como una de las mejores películas de terror del 2014.
  56. Jun 7, 2014
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Most inspirational character of the century so far, Dog. 11/10, would watch again.
  57. Aug 12, 2014
    The thriller was really scary so,i thought the movie would be one of the best horror movie in years.But, every scary things in the movie were in the trailer,so i was a little disappointed.But the movie does have some scary and unexpected things that were not shown in the trailer.
  58. Oct 27, 2014
    Oculus was a freaky movie but i hate when it is characterized as horror when it is more of a thriller would love for a 2nd film to the oculus series. This Movie was still Pretty good Grade A++
  59. Aug 21, 2014
    Oculus is an outstanding horror flick, it has everything you care about in a horror movie with great family tension and musical score (style) that I love.
  60. Nov 9, 2014
    I don’t watch horror movies. Not because they’re scary. I love being scared watching horror movies as much as I don’t want to admit it. That’s the point of watching horror movies. I don’t watch horror movies because most horror movies today are cliched and predictable to watch. However, this movie is such a refreshing horror movie.

I love how this movie does not rely on jump scares or

I love how this movie does not rely on jump scares or loud music to make the movie scary. Thank goodness!

I love how the plot of this movie is based on character development. The character development made me care about the characters in the movie that you don’t want them to be in danger and you’re very concerned about them. And the ending of the plot is very shocking, clever and unpredictable.

The cast performances in this movie attributes to the realism of the characters. Karen Gillian and Brenton Thwaites had a great chemistry as siblings in the movie. Katee Sackhoff also did a great job portraying her character. And last but not the least, the child actors also did a good job playing the younger version of Gillan and Thwaites’ characters and they also felt like real children without being classified as annoying child movie characters.

The concept of this movie is really clever and it’s quite new to the horror genre. The origins of the haunted mirror is not really explained well in this movie which is good as it would ruin the dynamic of the entire movie since this movie relies on character development.

The direction in this movie is excellent. You can tell during the movie that the director really worked hard to make this movie beautifully shot and directed. I am just so glad that they don’t use the found footage plot device in this movie though it’s clever for the characters to mimic the found footage for their own and not for us, the viewers.

Overall, this movie is so new to the horror genre. If you’re looking for scary monsters with lame jumpscares, this movie is not for you. However, if you’re looking for a horror movie that makes you terrified as well as it makes sure you care about the characters, go see it!
  61. Oct 12, 2014
    Frightening and suspenseful, Oculus is a movie about an old artifact,a strange mirror, that possesses a persons minds after eye contact between the person and himself in the mirror.With a fantastic score and great direction this movie is definitely worth your time.
  62. Sep 14, 2014
    I think it worth to rent it, the movie entertains very well, little bit confusing but it worth it, the ends sucks tho... And not veeeeeery scary, descent .
  63. Sep 19, 2014
    SEND SHIVERS DOWN YOUR SPINE
    SHRIEKING SKULLS WILL SHOCK YOUR SOUL SEAL YOUR DOOM TONIGHT SPOOKY SCARY SKELETONS SPEAK WITH SUCH A SCREECH YOU'LL SHAKE AND SHUDDER IN SURPRISE WHEN YOU HEAR THESE ZOMBIES SHRIEK WE'RE SO SORRY SKELETONS YOU'RE SO MISUNDERSTOOD YOU ONLY WANT TO SOCIALIZE BUT I DON'T THINK WE SHOULD CAUSE SPOOKY SCARY SKELETONS SHOUT
    SEND SHIVERS DOWN YOUR SPINE
    AND DRIVE YOU SO INSANE
    STICKS AND STONES WILL BREAK YOUR BONES
    THEY SELDOM LET YOU SNOOZE
    SPOOKY SCARY SKELETONS
    WILL WAKE YOU WITH A BOO!

A good but confusing spook.
  64. Nov 10, 2014
    I loved it. It is not like most of the other horrors all-blood-and-screams; it scares you in deep using just simple things. Loved the way the director mixed up past and present to explain all the plot. A must watch ;) .
  65. Nov 1, 2014
    Ten years ago, tragedy struck the Russell family, leaving the lives of teenage siblings Tim and Kaylie forever changed when Tim was convicted of the brutal murder of their parents. Now in his 20s, Tim is newly released from protective custody and only wants to move on with his life; but Kaylie, still haunted by that fateful night, is convinced her parents’ deaths were caused by somethingTen years ago, tragedy struck the Russell family, leaving the lives of teenage siblings Tim and Kaylie forever changed when Tim was convicted of the brutal murder of their parents. Now in his 20s, Tim is newly released from protective custody and only wants to move on with his life; but Kaylie, still haunted by that fateful night, is convinced her parents’ deaths were caused by something else altogether: a malevolent supernatural force—unleashed through the Lasser Glass, an antique mirror in their childhood home. Determined to prove Tim’s innocence, Kaylie tracks down the mirror, only to learn similar deaths have befallen previous owners over the past century. With the mysterious entity now back in their hands, Tim and Kaylie soon find their hold on reality shattered by terrifying hallucinations, and realize, too late, that their childhood nightmare is beginning again. Expand
  66. Dec 12, 2014
    Summary: Strange, smartly written and quite depressing; Oculus is a gruesome psychological thriller for a very specific audience. 82/100 [B+]

The twenty-one year-old Timothy Russell is discharged from a mental institution by his psychiatric, completely healed from a childhood trauma. His sister Kaylie welcomes him in the parking area and brings him home. Then she tells that they need to destroy an ancient mirror that she has just bought in an auction. Tim follows his sister and has fragmented recollections from his childhood, when his mother Marie buys a mirror for the home office of his father Alan. The behaviors of Alan and Marie change, ending in a family tragedy. Kaylie blames the mirror and now she wants to destroy it with Tim. Will they succeed?

First of all, I want to say that I waited months for this film (since the first teaser-trailer came out). So, I went to the theater with very high expectations. Surprisingly, this movie was as good as I thought. I left the theater quite satisfied and very happy. It was very strange and complex. It proves that a horror film doesn't need gore or jump-scares to be scary. Oculus relies on fear and tension. It's suspenseful and it has enough bloody scenes to satisfy horror buffs. It's definitely a psychological-thriller rather than a horror flick. It is very interesting because the film explores several themes like skepticism, adultery and psychology.

There were two or three funny moments, but most of the film was serious. The first act may be a bit too slow for some people, but not to me; it kept me entertained all time. It has some drama and lengthy discussions between the two main characters (Kaylie and Tim) and I actually found this moments very interesting and well written. Most of the first act is character development and there are a few jump-scares. Then, towards the middle of the film, Kaylie tells the story behind the mirror, this whole scene is rich in storytelling and extremely well scripted, it was very entertaining and intriguing to me.

Oculus tells two stories at once, one of them is the story of Tim, Kaylie and their parents 10 years ago, the other one is about Tim and Kaylie (as adults) trying to destroy the mirror. Again, holy crap the script is excellent! The dialog between the characters feels so realistic and smart, and the decisions of the characters are surprisingly intelligent. They're dealing with a "haunted mirror" the most logical solution here is to break the damn mirror, it may seem easy to you but the problem here is that the mirror is indestructible! It has its own creepy defense organism, that's why I love this movie, it's so strange and original.

Karen Gillian did a terrific job performing Kaylie. In addition, Annalise Basso performs the younger version of Kaylie and this little girl is undoubtedly the best actress in the film, good job! Brenton Thwaites performs Tim, he nailed it, his acting was astonishing, especially in the ending. Garrett Ryan performs the younger version of Tim and well... he was good enough. Rory Cochrane and Katee Sackhoff perform their parents, Katee's acting was superb, she was perfect for the role, I just can't imagine another actress playing her character. Unfortunately, Rory Cochrane was a total miscast, he's kinda unlikable and his acting was a bit lazy.

Oculus is easily one of the best horror films of the year and the best Blumhouse production since The Bay. Oculus was made with ambition and care. However it's not perfect at all, I actually have some issues with the movie. On the downside, it presents some flaws in its final act, it becomes way too explicit, it showed too much of these "ghosts" or victims of the mirror with creepy white eyes, it became somewhat weird; also, the last 30 minutes of the movie were very confusing to me and the story was really hard to follow at several times. But the film quickly rises up with a violent, shocking and depressing ending.

I am a huge fan of Mike Flanagan, few years ago he directed an indie horror film called "Absentia" and I have to admit that it's definitely a better movie compared to Oculus. But my point here is that both films offer a different type of horror, both deal with psychological issues and the skepticism of their characters about these supernatural issues, what is real and what is not. Oculus is not a film for everybody, but it is definitely a must see if you like psychological horror movies. I also want to add that the soundtrack made by The Newton Brothers, is modern, enjoyable and fits with the creepy tone of the film. [B+]
  67. Jan 16, 2015
    "Oculus" 10 Scale Rating: 8.0 (Great) ...

"Oculus" 10 Scale Rating: 8.0 (Great) ...

The Good: The best thing about this film is that there is little to no gore in it, yet it gets it's point across. Sufficiently creepy, "Oculus" is a creative and well written tale that retains your interest throughout. While Karen Gillan and Brenton Thwaites were more than adequate, the best performances of the film featured Rory Cochran and Katee Sackhoff in flashback sequences. The pair played the parents of the lead characters and help fill in the blanks as to what makes the cursed mirror (the central point of the film) so important. While it won't truly scare you (but what does these days?), it is a well done and entertaining movie with a very satisfying ending.

The Bad: While it doesn't detract too much from the film, it does rely on the typically "jumpy" scenes here and there. I understand the point, but could have done without them. Gillan eventually settles into the role, but is a little awkward and somewhat annoying early on.
  68. Jan 5, 2015
    A truly horrifying horror movies. It has good acting, interesting characters and a completely disturbing story told with great direction and grisly images. This movie got under my skin in many ways and is the best horror movie I've seen in a long time (have no seen babadook keep in mind).
  69. Jan 14, 2015
    One of the best thriller/horrors I've seen with an extremely creepy story and mind bending occurrences.

I would love a sequel if it's possible but the cast and crew did an awesome job!!
  70. Mar 23, 2015
    Honestly, I thought that this movie was one of the best horror movies I've seen yet since the movie-series (Saw). The mind-twisting plot and brilliant visual structure really allows the viewer to capture the phenomenal scenes played out within the movie. My wife, 2 children, and I absolutely adored it. However, I feel as if the ending would've been a bit better if... (SPOILERS ARE COMING)Honestly, I thought that this movie was one of the best horror movies I've seen yet since the movie-series (Saw). The mind-twisting plot and brilliant visual structure really allows the viewer to capture the phenomenal scenes played out within the movie. My wife, 2 children, and I absolutely adored it. However, I feel as if the ending would've been a bit better if... (SPOILERS ARE COMING)
    The sister did not die in vain. Perhaps, it would have been much more realistic and satisfying to the viewer if the glass shattered beneath her body while being pummeled in the head, which of course would still kill her by the end. That is why I was truly confused as to why the brother had a flash-back of the sister making him PROMISE that the wretched "EVIL" glass be killed no matter what. I think I am speaking for everyone when I say that the true moral would've and should have been; Evil can not truly shatter the sincere love and promises of blood. (This is true as to the father and mother having an outstanding relationship, and their own way of seeking vengeance! (THEIR KIDS) maybe that's why they were left alive, to fulfill their destiny? :-)
    ~ All in all, it was great, but with a few minor tweaks it could have been a true masterpiece.
    With love, Dr Sam.

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Apr 14, 2014
    For a horror movie, Oculus is surprisingly lean on the scares. It's more interested in playing tricks with perception and bending reality.
    One reason Oculus feels so talky and monotonous in spite of its tricky syntax is that the space itself isn’t charged with malignancy. And the monster doesn’t compensate — it’s dumb, blockish, inert. The mirror doesn’t have two faces. It barely has one.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 11, 2014
    Oculus is a time bomb of a psychological horror film.