5.7

1. May 20, 2014
    The movie is extremely slow and builds up to 10 minutes of disappointment at the end. What happens to the main character at the end is utter nonsense, she never trusted the mirror but conveniently at the end she trusts it. I honestly wanted my money back. You can not paint a character to hate something the entire movie (her entire life) and then change that character completely at the end to fit your story arc. It felt cheap and made the movie even worse. Expand
  2. Jul 31, 2014
    Certainly not your typical paranormal horror film considering it actually has a plot and it does make you think through out. My biggest issue with out, and why I rated it so low, was that it was tough to get into. It was painfully slow and over acted through out, It really took a toll on you after a short while. It's still worth giving a shot but I simply did not care for it.
  3. Apr 16, 2014
    Oculus is one of horror films which have only one reason to see and reason is amazing Redhead Karen Gillan. Remember, Karen Gillan and no other reason.
    Every few minutes - flashback, maybe you are right that is new way to make horror movie, but I think it is new way to confuse. Worst movie I saw in that genre.
  4. Aug 30, 2014
    I don't see the merits of this film. The pacing was way too slow, the time-frame jumps around from past to present and back too much, and it just has a '70s B-movie vibe to it. Waste of time.
  5. Apr 22, 2014
    I really did not like this film. There wasnt any reason for anything to be happening. And while the idea of the events were taking place in two time periods at the same time for the same characters was a cool idea. It just fell flat on its face for this film. There was no reason for any off the events happening except some ghost in a mirror making the father do the things he did. Some people got killed, for some shock value, but this movie didnt scare me or make me feel anything for the characters one bit. Just an aweful expirience for me. Expand
  6. May 16, 2014
    A predictable, thrillless, tiring, mess is less scary and more what the hell is going on. Where it lacks in scares makes up in set design. The poor dialogue, predictable story, and "saw it coming after the first 15 minutes" ending really lets you down once you leave.
  7. Sep 3, 2014
    Nothing good for the expectatives, really a bad movie. i was waiting some intense and really scary scenes but pfff, this is a piece of crap, bad movie, bad history.... i will can fill this with all the bad but i dont want lose many time doing this.
  8. Apr 17, 2014
    A young brother and sister survive the effects of a haunted mirror only to relive the evil 11 years later. The concept had potential and the cross-cutting between their present and past has promise. Unfortunately, the pacing drags, the scares are minimal and the whole thing falls apart.
  9. Apr 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Am I really the only one who thought that this film was really mediocre? Not only did it mess with my head to the point where I felt like I was about to get a headache, but it was also a complete mess! What started out as such a promising and interesting concept quickly went downhill as the film progressed. Flashbacks occurred occasionally at the beginning, but a little towards the halfway mark they got way carried away with them to the point where every 5 minutes it would go from the present to the past again. And if it wasn't confusing enough already, pretty soon they started intertwining the past and present with the younger versions of the two leads seeing themselves in situations from the present and vice versa. And just when you thought it couldn't get any more disappointing, the ending happens and needless to say, the ending really pissed me off! Much like last year's "The Purge" a great concept for a film was poorly executed. The case couldn't be any stronger with this film. Overall, a huge letdown for me. Expand
  10. May 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although it is good to a see an original horror movie, Oculus is very light on scares. There was a lot of potential here but it didn't come together. The switching between past and present is done poorly. The end is also very predicable. The film makers tried hard to produce an interesting movie... but it isn't. Not even Karen Gillan could save this movie. Expand
  11. Jun 23, 2014
    This film could actually have been a decent one, if only the evil entity that the characters are fighting was actually beatable, but it's not and whatever they do to stop it inevitably fails becuase of the entity's peculiar power. I don't like it when there's no chance for the characters, it makes it all rather pointless. Also, the girl randomly decides to trust the entity towards the end, which makes no sense at all and this only happens because obviously whoever wrote this couldn't come up with anything better to end the story. Disappointing film. Expand
  12. Sep 17, 2014
    Oculus is like biting into a turd burger knowing full well it's going to taste like a big steamy dump. Sadly with that said I still watched the piece of garbage. It is bad. Very bad, terribly bad.

I will not say much about this piece of filth as I'd rather not relive it. Acting is bad, plot is worse, and the scares are all wanna-be jump scares. It sucks. It gets a zero. End of review.

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Apr 14, 2014
    For a horror movie, Oculus is surprisingly lean on the scares. It's more interested in playing tricks with perception and bending reality.
    One reason Oculus feels so talky and monotonous in spite of its tricky syntax is that the space itself isn’t charged with malignancy. And the monster doesn’t compensate — it’s dumb, blockish, inert. The mirror doesn’t have two faces. It barely has one.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 11, 2014
    Oculus is a time bomb of a psychological horror film.