Oculus

3.2

1. Sep 3, 2014
    Nothing good for the expectatives, really a bad movie. i was waiting some intense and really scary scenes but pfff, this is a piece of crap, bad movie, bad history.... i will can fill this with all the bad but i dont want lose many time doing this.
  2. May 20, 2014
    The movie is extremely slow and builds up to 10 minutes of disappointment at the end. What happens to the main character at the end is utter nonsense, she never trusted the mirror but conveniently at the end she trusts it. I honestly wanted my money back. You can not paint a character to hate something the entire movie (her entire life) and then change that character completely at the endThe movie is extremely slow and builds up to 10 minutes of disappointment at the end. What happens to the main character at the end is utter nonsense, she never trusted the mirror but conveniently at the end she trusts it. I honestly wanted my money back. You can not paint a character to hate something the entire movie (her entire life) and then change that character completely at the end to fit your story arc. It felt cheap and made the movie even worse. Expand
  3. Apr 22, 2014
    I really did not like this film. There wasnt any reason for anything to be happening. And while the idea of the events were taking place in two time periods at the same time for the same characters was a cool idea. It just fell flat on its face for this film. There was no reason for any off the events happening except some ghost in a mirror making the father do the things he did. SomeI really did not like this film. There wasnt any reason for anything to be happening. And while the idea of the events were taking place in two time periods at the same time for the same characters was a cool idea. It just fell flat on its face for this film. There was no reason for any off the events happening except some ghost in a mirror making the father do the things he did. Some people got killed, for some shock value, but this movie didnt scare me or make me feel anything for the characters one bit. Just an aweful expirience for me. Expand
  4. Aug 30, 2014
    I don't see the merits of this film. The pacing was way too slow, the time-frame jumps around from past to present and back too much, and it just has a '70s B-movie vibe to it. Waste of time.
  5. Sep 17, 2014
    Oculus is like biting into a turd burger knowing full well it's going to taste like a big steamy dump. Sadly with that said I still watched the piece of garbage. It is bad. Very bad, terribly bad.

I will not say much about this piece of filth as I'd rather not relive it. Acting is bad, plot is worse, and the scares are all wanna-be jump scares. It sucks. It gets a zero. End of review.
  6. Apr 16, 2014
    Oculus is one of horror films which have only one reason to see and reason is amazing Redhead Karen Gillan. Remember, Karen Gillan and no other reason.
    Every few minutes - flashback, maybe you are right that is new way to make horror movie, but I think it is new way to confuse. Worst movie I saw in that genre.
  7. May 16, 2014
    A predictable, thrillless, tiring, mess is less scary and more what the hell is going on. Where it lacks in scares makes up in set design. The poor dialogue, predictable story, and "saw it coming after the first 15 minutes" ending really lets you down once you leave.
  8. Jun 23, 2014
    This film could actually have been a decent one, if only the evil entity that the characters are fighting was actually beatable, but it's not and whatever they do to stop it inevitably fails becuase of the entity's peculiar power. I don't like it when there's no chance for the characters, it makes it all rather pointless. Also, the girl randomly decides to trust the entity towards the end,This film could actually have been a decent one, if only the evil entity that the characters are fighting was actually beatable, but it's not and whatever they do to stop it inevitably fails becuase of the entity's peculiar power. I don't like it when there's no chance for the characters, it makes it all rather pointless. Also, the girl randomly decides to trust the entity towards the end, which makes no sense at all and this only happens because obviously whoever wrote this couldn't come up with anything better to end the story. Disappointing film. Expand
  9. Oct 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was in the mood to watch something scary, I heard that this movie was a great horror film, so I was very excited to watch it. I felt that the movie started out slow, I remember it being an hour into the film and I was sitting there bored waiting for the story to build. In my personal opinion, it wasn't a scary movie. I felt the movie was more of a suspense or thriller, but it WAS NOT scary. The whole first hour of the film is the dad being an **** the mom being insecure, and the kids continually crying. And when they finally start to show some creepy stuff, its near the end at that point, and because the build up was so slow, my excitement was already completely gone by the time it got a little creepy. I felt that the creepiness they added, was there just to be there, it didn't really add to the story. The greatest part about the end of the movie is that it was finally over. The film was well shot, and they had great actors, but my main problem is that the story sucked, and it didn't truly feel like a scary movie, because it simply wasn't scary. They had random moments of silence where something would jump out or scream to catch you off guard, but it wasn't done in a way that made you feel scared. It was more like*flinch* **** ...and back to the boring story line. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Apr 14, 2014
    For a horror movie, Oculus is surprisingly lean on the scares. It's more interested in playing tricks with perception and bending reality.
    One reason Oculus feels so talky and monotonous in spite of its tricky syntax is that the space itself isn’t charged with malignancy. And the monster doesn’t compensate — it’s dumb, blockish, inert. The mirror doesn’t have two faces. It barely has one.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 11, 2014
    Oculus is a time bomb of a psychological horror film.