Old School

8.7

1. Sep 3, 2011
    A homage to the eighties college movies such as Back To School but it is rescued from mediocrity by a hilarious performance by Will Ferrell. Still worth a watch and it's guaranteed you'll find at least one moment that will make you laugh out loud.
  2. Apr 4, 2012
    This movie is flat out stupid. Had some really dumb parts in the film and some that were very funny. Characters are totally worthless and the acting was quite pitiful. Decent enough for a comedy.
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    The jokes aren't as frequent as they should be, and it doesn't have much of a plot, but Old School delivers the goods nevertheless. It's a crowd pleaser, with some uproarious monologues from Ferrell.
  4. DwaneR.
    Mar 7, 2003
    I paid 10 bucks in manhattan for this movie, and I would have been happier if I paid 5. Vince is great, but that is how he really is, so we knew he would be a riot.... I just had such higher expectations.
  5. TysonS.
    Jun 14, 2003
    I like dumb comedies, in fact Road Trip, which has the same writers as Old School, is one of my favorite comedies ever, but this movie was just "dumb" and forgot to be a "comedy". sure there were moments that made me smile or produce a small chuckle, but those moments were too few and far between. i really wanted to like this movie, i loved the premise and actors behind it, but in the endI like dumb comedies, in fact Road Trip, which has the same writers as Old School, is one of my favorite comedies ever, but this movie was just "dumb" and forgot to be a "comedy". sure there were moments that made me smile or produce a small chuckle, but those moments were too few and far between. i really wanted to like this movie, i loved the premise and actors behind it, but in the end it just left me disappointed. Expand
  6. MichaelM.
    Oct 23, 2004
    This is a really funny movie! I laughed so hard I thought I was going to cry! The story line is very unbelievable but simply hysterical. The story is about a man named Mitch (Luke Wilson) who catches the early flight home and catches his slut girlfriend (Juliette Lewis) inviting the neighbors home for a gang bang. He flips out and they break up. Since his girlfriend keeps the house, he This is a really funny movie! I laughed so hard I thought I was going to cry! The story line is very unbelievable but simply hysterical. The story is about a man named Mitch (Luke Wilson) who catches the early flight home and catches his slut girlfriend (Juliette Lewis) inviting the neighbors home for a gang bang. He flips out and they break up. Since his girlfriend keeps the house, he has to move out to a very crummy apartment, which his newly married friend Frank (Will Ferrell) and his other married friend Beanie (Vince Vaugn) help him move into. When they are getting kicked out of the house by the Dean of the university down the street (Jeremy Piven) because the area is being made for university students, they decide to start a fraternity. The members of their fraternity are the strangest people ranging from an midget from India, a really obese black man and a 89 year old elderly man named Blue. The movie is for people who loved comedys like Road Trip and National Lampoon's Van Wilder! It is also for others too. I really recommend this movie to anyone looking for a good movie to go see. (2/26/03) Expand
  7. DaveF.
    Oct 22, 2005
    A big disappointment. Everyone was saying, "you gotta see this movie!" Maybe Will Farrell flailing around with a dart in his neck is funny if you work with zoo animals? This movie is a wannabe Animal House, and its attempts at humor range from sad to irritating. This isn't coming from some highfalutin critic who doesnt appreciate lowbrow jokes. I laughed non-stop at The Longest Yard A big disappointment. Everyone was saying, "you gotta see this movie!" Maybe Will Farrell flailing around with a dart in his neck is funny if you work with zoo animals? This movie is a wannabe Animal House, and its attempts at humor range from sad to irritating. This isn't coming from some highfalutin critic who doesnt appreciate lowbrow jokes. I laughed non-stop at The Longest Yard and The 40 Year old Virgin. If you want silly, raunchy humor, rent one of those two. Expand
  8. MattS.
    Oct 13, 2003
    This would be just another horrible college fraternity formula movie if not for Will Ferrell.
  9. TimB.
    Jul 16, 2003
    There's not much to love about this movie, but I guess there's not much to hate either. I feel the comparisons to "Road Trip" were pretty accurate -- it's not quite the same movie, but it certainly has the same feel to it. Where "Road Trip" has Tom Green, "Old School" has Will Ferrell. It's good for laughs, but it doesn't go anywhere "Animal House" didn't go There's not much to love about this movie, but I guess there's not much to hate either. I feel the comparisons to "Road Trip" were pretty accurate -- it's not quite the same movie, but it certainly has the same feel to it. Where "Road Trip" has Tom Green, "Old School" has Will Ferrell. It's good for laughs, but it doesn't go anywhere "Animal House" didn't go years ago, and it sure doesn't do it better. If you want to rent it to watch with a bunch of friends while you drink heavily, you won't be disappointed... I'm sure you already know what to expect anyway. Watch, laugh, and forget -- that's what I did. Expand
  10. Starfox
    Aug 25, 2003
    Stars out well enough, with some good well-rounded characters, has some minor laughs throughout but in the end really goes nowhere. They could have done so much more with the premise, but it's like they ran out of ideas (of which there are many possibilities) and just sentamentalized it. It's actually much sweeter than I expected, which is a plus.

1. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: David Denby
    It’s party time, and the movie is wild and crude without being mean--it’s a comedy of infantile regression, “Animal House” for grownups. [17 March 2003, p. 154]
    Old School is exactly what director Todd Phillips intends for it to be: low-brow, moronic to a fault, and occasionally side-splittingly funny.
  3. Starts out silly, gets sillier by the minute, and frequently had me and most of the people around me in stitches.