FilmDistrict | Release Date: November 27, 2013
4.6
Mixed or average reviews based on 125 Ratings
WATCH NOW
AmongstYouFeb 25, 2014
I gained absolutely nothing from watching this. I completely wasting my time. I hoped it would do something interesting and new with the premise, but instead it treads the same ground, and somehow it manages to not do that properly.
Watch
Watch the original. It did it better than this.
megteeNov 27, 2013
Perhaps the worst two hours I've ever spent. I learned absolutely nothing new about life, except that violent sexist patriarchal rape culture cliches still dominate mainstream cinema, and Spike Lee is more than happy to join the bandwagonPerhaps the worst two hours I've ever spent. I learned absolutely nothing new about life, except that violent sexist patriarchal rape culture cliches still dominate mainstream cinema, and Spike Lee is more than happy to join the bandwagon and resort to them. Yawn. I got all hopeful for a Spike Lee social/psychological/metaphorical commentary/tie-in when the historical footage appeared, only to be disappointed when it merely served to pass the time inside the hotel cell. I left grossed out, hollow, and feeling like a sucker. For a crowd-funded film, this sure was a lot of tired re-hashed violence with no redeeming message. From a fan of the Korean 2003 original don't bother. Just watch Do The Right Thing again. This is a Spike Lee Dis-Joint. Expand
HypnoticGuyNov 30, 2013
I have to think that Spike Lee didn't even watch the original version before making his version. I also doubt that the person who approved the script could have seen the original version.

The childhood tragedy was the father's fault, not

The childhood tragedy was the father's fault, not Joe's and thus there is a lack of justification for the future vengeance.

Additionally, the ending was removed compared to the original, since there was no brainwashing or hypnosis in this new version.

The story line of the new version is just so weak it's not worth seeing.
BrosmanNov 27, 2013
Any movie that gives away that there is a twist in the movie in the trailer is stupid. This is a typical remake that misses the point and charm of the original. Please just go watch the original and skip this garbage. The Original is amazing.
ConjureAug 18, 2014
From the get go this movie was a dud - there were no characters you would like, the main character was a jerk who deserved no sympathy, too much gratuitous violence and bad acting, particularly Samuel Jackson.

I stopped watching the movie

I stopped watching the movie with 45 min left. I could not care what happened. Do not waste your time.
robertodasilvaMar 14, 2014
Terrible movie, completely detracts from the original manga and has lots of gaps. Just because Samuel L. Jackson appears give it a 3. And do not misunderstand me, not for being a remake is bad, is that they changed the whole plot and nothingTerrible movie, completely detracts from the original manga and has lots of gaps. Just because Samuel L. Jackson appears give it a 3. And do not misunderstand me, not for being a remake is bad, is that they changed the whole plot and nothing makes sense.

I still believe that this movie was made just for that 5 year olds understand. Not everything has to be explained, we must appeal to deductive capacity Mr. Lee.
JohnrieberDec 3, 2013
As a huge fan of the original film, I did everything I could to judge Spike Lee's version on its own merits. But he has made an inferior film that simply doesn't work on its own. The story isn't the problem the film doesn't work due to theAs a huge fan of the original film, I did everything I could to judge Spike Lee's version on its own merits. But he has made an inferior film that simply doesn't work on its own. The story isn't the problem the film doesn't work due to the choices Spike Lee has made. Strange changes in the story serve to call attention to the film's inability to entertain like the original. Samuel L. Jackson. Watch both versions of the film and you will be stunned at Lee's choice to create Jackson's character and storyline. And if you haven't seen the original, you'll certainly wonder why this story was ever told. In addition, the Director has made some choices that didn't work for me at all. In "Annie Hall", having Woody Allen and Tony Roberts watch flashbacks worked; here, to see Josh Brolin watching the action around him it was distracting, and a huge mistake much like the decision to tell this story this way. Expand
TouchstoneMay 16, 2014
Dear Spike Lee,

Two things happened to me the day before yesterday. Firstly, a pigeon crapped on me. Its mess splattered through my fingers, over my phone screen and all down my trousers. I was just starting an hour-long journey home,
Dear Spike Lee,

Two things happened to me the day before yesterday.

Firstly, a pigeon crapped on me. Its mess splattered through my fingers, over my phone screen and all down my trousers. I was just starting an hour-long journey home, and had nowhere to wash up. I spent that whole hour-long trip wearing that pigeon's filth, as evidenced by the plentiful grimaces and **** I earned from the strangers I passed, whose respect I would prefer to have.

Secondly, when I got home, I watched your remake of Oldboy.

I forgive the pigeon.
JasonNunesMar 4, 2014
I saw the original first just to make a comparison and this was a really clumsy remake. All the subtleties of the original were bulldozed with obvious plot points that the original only gave away at the end. As twisted as the story is, II saw the original first just to make a comparison and this was a really clumsy remake. All the subtleties of the original were bulldozed with obvious plot points that the original only gave away at the end. As twisted as the story is, I actually cared about the characters in the original. Spike really should have spent a little more time developing the main characters and maybe this would have worked. Really disappointed Expand
bertsiennaMar 9, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would like to lock Spike Lee in my bathroom for 2 hours, then let him out. Then he would know what it feels like to lose 2 hours of your life that you will never get back. Adrian locked Joe away for 20 years banking solely on the hope that he would have sex with Marie? Really? I know he was led right to her...but what if he kept running? What if Marie never stopped him to offer help? What if they werent attracted to each other? There is seriously a place that is in business to lock people away indefinitely and make them think they are in a hotel? The fight scenes were ridiculous. Apparently, watching infomercials for 20 years makes you a complete badass. He wiped out 2 separate mobs of guys (not sure where they came from) with ease. He took out the last group of guys with a knife buried in his back. Yet, when he went to rescue Marie at the house, he was easily overpowered by 2 guys. I liked the twist at the end with the daughter, but that wasnt enough to make up for the other 95% Expand
chwSep 24, 2014
Spike Lee was a controversial filmmaker. Now he proves to be a bad filmmaker. Why he would choose to become the victim of the American remake was probably because of The Departed, and how successful it was and how many awards it received. InSpike Lee was a controversial filmmaker. Now he proves to be a bad filmmaker. Why he would choose to become the victim of the American remake was probably because of The Departed, and how successful it was and how many awards it received. In Oldboy, Spike tries to convince you that it isn't the same, but by the end we find out that it is the same. Expand