6.0

1. Nov 13, 2014
    "On the Road" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Good: If it weren't for Garrett Hedlund, this film would have been a disaster. His performance at least keeps you interested. The Bad: Some books just don't translate to film very well ... Kerouac's "On the Road" is one of them. The film seemed to gloss over the more important parts of the book, yet focus on the slower (and more
    "On the Road" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Bad: Some books just don't translate to film very well ... Kerouac's "On the Road" is one of them. The film seemed to gloss over the more important parts of the book, yet focus on the slower (and more boring) parts. It is especially rushed during the last thirty minutes. If you've ever read the book, then you will cringe once you see that only 30 minutes remain and there is no way they can fit it all in. Lastly: Kristin Stewart.
  2. Jul 19, 2014
    Some of the cinematography is worthwhile, bits of acting are noteworthy but, in the end, it's a book you can't really make into a film.
    What would be shocking and extraordinary in the late 50's now looks fairly tame and often sad. there is a lack of rhythm to the editing, too many unconnected ideas, big, sprawling and dull.
    If they had tried for something smaller, maybe it might have worked.
  3. Sep 25, 2013
    For direction and writing that stays incredibly true to the book, this is a masterpiece. Kirsten Stewart fails to shine, but the rest of the cast do a mighty fine job.
  4. Aug 31, 2013
    One of the worst road movies ever made. I saw it when it first came out and I wanted like crazy to leave the cinema earlier. I didn't leave earlier but I cried in the end for my money. If I new that this film is so awful, I would spend my money to Star Trek or The Lone Ranger.
  5. Apr 15, 2013
    Walter Salle’s and Rivera’s adaptation of Kerouac’s classic novel is a brave attempt. Between its documentary feel and young and often naked actors, this film reeks of both the cool and freedom that was brought forth by the beats. Unfortunately it lacks their impact. On the Road fails due to it’s inability to stand alone without the stories pre-developed reputation and fan base...

To

To read more visit: http://www.recomedia.net/filmtv/on-the-road-the-beats-brought-back/
  6. Apr 1, 2013
    In this adaptation of Kerouac's novel, a young author travels America on writing adventures, while obsessing about his best friend/muse, Dean Moriarty. Thanks to Moriarty, he enjoys cross-country exploits fueled with drugs, alcohol and sex in all combos. While the performances and the pace keep it interesting, the narrative rambles all over the place (just like the characters). There's notIn this adaptation of Kerouac's novel, a young author travels America on writing adventures, while obsessing about his best friend/muse, Dean Moriarty. Thanks to Moriarty, he enjoys cross-country exploits fueled with drugs, alcohol and sex in all combos. While the performances and the pace keep it interesting, the narrative rambles all over the place (just like the characters). There's not an emotional arc or any involving drama until the final few moments, but by that time, 4 people had walked out of my screening. If you want to see what wild times were like 1947 51 and see how they portray notable literary characters (Burroughs, Allen Ginsberg, etc with some notable actors) you may find it interesting. Expand
  7. Mar 15, 2013
    It must have been difficult for Walter Salles to adapt a timeless and acclaimed novel as "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac. The result is a fascinating and punctual film that very well describe the heart and soul of the beat generation and the emotional journey of Sal Paradise-Jack Kerouac(Sam Riley) and the decisive meeting with the free-spirited and deeply chaotic Dean Moriarty-Neal CassidyIt must have been difficult for Walter Salles to adapt a timeless and acclaimed novel as "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac. The result is a fascinating and punctual film that very well describe the heart and soul of the beat generation and the emotional journey of Sal Paradise-Jack Kerouac(Sam Riley) and the decisive meeting with the free-spirited and deeply chaotic Dean Moriarty-Neal Cassidy (Garret Hedlund) with his wife Marylou (Kristen Stewart),whom he had a very troubled relationship. The film also introduces other key characters as Carlo Marx-Allen Ginsberg (Tom Sturridge), famous poet of the beat generation Camille-Carolyn Cassidy (Kirsten Dunst), second Moriarty's wife and Old Bull Lee-William S.Borroughs (Viggo Mortensen), poet and artist. The film manages to express the feelings and emotions of the two leading characters played extremely well by Sam Riley and Garrett Hedlund. As for Kristen Stewart, her performance is really good even though her role doesn't offer much memorable scenes in terms of acting. Nevertheless, she is able to express her inner desire of a normal life with children. Tom Sturridge is also very well involved and plays effectively his role with some important scenes. Viggo Mortensen and Kirsten Dunst are really amazing in their limited screen times. Particularly, Dunst was truly commanding in a scene involving her and Hedlund arguing about father's duties. Walter Salles creates a suggestive atmosphere that is one of the winning point of his adaptation. Nonetheless, the films is a little difficult to follow due to his prolongation in some adventures of the two men. The soundtrack is another important element in the film and express the situation involving Sal and Dean. My vote is 8/10. Expand
  8. Dec 31, 2012
    Boring. Confusing. Pretentious. Drawn Out. Basically...doo-doo.
  9. Dec 26, 2012
    For a movie that was meant to take us on a wild ride with idols from the spontaneous beat culture, it sure does follow a familiar road map. Always maintaining the same route and never attempting to venture out into an uncharacteristic art form, On the Road proves to be an underwhelming and disappointing road film, on many levels. This is primarily due to the narrow screenplay that sticksFor a movie that was meant to take us on a wild ride with idols from the spontaneous beat culture, it sure does follow a familiar road map. Always maintaining the same route and never attempting to venture out into an uncharacteristic art form, On the Road proves to be an underwhelming and disappointing road film, on many levels. This is primarily due to the narrow screenplay that sticks to that aforementioned, familiar path; and the dull central presence of Expand
  10. Dec 22, 2012
    First I have to say I am not in any means a writer, I tend to be prolix and get lost in side thoughts. The language is also a problem... If put thoughts in words is difficult, you can imagine how difficult is to put it in other language than your native one. So...

I read a lot about it, saw a lot of interviews, articles and critics of the book and the movie (mostly French, some aussie and American). When the Brazilians articles, interviews and movie critics started come out I got very happy to see another tone. A more positive tone and a sense that Walter had done something very intimated, very raw, very human, not a adaptation but a personal view... But some still talking that he still did not made the movie stand by itself.

So I went to the movie with a mind open and waiting for the excellency that is traditionally Walter's works.

I didn't feel the movie long or boring at all... The close shots and the open views are both incredibly good. Walter did an amazing job getting subtitle details that show and say more than words with handheld shots.

The movie is not about "On The Road The book" and also it is not about "On The Road The scroll version book", it is Walter Salles vision of be youth and everything that it brings to the scene. The selfishness, the craziness, the curiosity for the unknown, the anxiety to put out all you are feeling and share it with others, the feeling that you need to do something but you don't know what, the desire of be different, of do something that makes difference, the desire of be creative, the desire of taste and prove all at the same time. Some are followers, some open roads. All of it brings happiness, friendship, auto-affirmation but angst, pain, deception, feeling of failure. Walter talks essential about the human condition of the after WWII young generation that saw all the reactionary values be destroyed by the war and they went out just asking questions, tasting and living each moment as it would be the last one. A highly creative time in poetry, paint, and music! In the end he showed that it is a period in our lives and it pass and you have to get along with it, if not, if you get stuck and don't grow, you will be left behind. It is life!

The movie is an intense character driven movie, based on the scroll version, as well the biographies, interviews, tapes, 5 years of making documentary, books, musics, paints... but just based... because it is clear that he, Riveras and the actors deconstructed all and improvised mostly all! Most have being said about Garrett acting and Kristen's also but all the cast is amazing. Sam Riley was a huge surprise for me! He got me since the first second of the movie and it was him that I followed until the end! Tom did an amazing job!!! Never had seen him in anything before and man... He has gotten my attention now! Alice, Viggo, Elizabeth, Amy, Kirsten were incredible! Their moments are lessons of work of the art of acting! Garrett is really incredible! Of course his character is the one who gives the actor the most chance to show his chops but he took the chance and brought it on! His Dean is everything Walter wanted to transmit in his vision of Youth and The Beats. In some moments he seems hypnotized in a tranzy. Now... Kristen! Kristen disappeared! The only WOMAN in the silver screen was Marylou! She got the voice tone, she got the moves... I have to be honest with you guys... I was very disturbed by that actress who was soooo open and sexual! I was not expecting at all this feeling! It was like see a daughter... It was very disturbing... I could not recognized that woman! I think it is the most huge compliment I could give to her! She really became something that I could not see any trace of her! She really brought Lu Anne to the screen and show that Lu Annes was the most of them who lived the Beat spirit! She was not there following the men, she was there on her own therms. A free spirit, without preconception or fear or angst but just curious and living! She was doing what she wanted and the moment she decided she was done with that period of her life, she said I done, it is not the future that I want and left. Kristen's improvisation on that scene in the car that Walter talks about a lot is really amazing! Outstanding!

I don't agree with the critics that say it is long. It is not! Is it sometimes episodic? Yes it is, but every one of the scenes had to be there, because it was in the book and these characters had a huge importance on the Beat Generation. Forget all you have read, because it is Walter's vision and its sustained by its self as a piece of work! It is very beautiful, amazingly acted, shows human reactions, deceptions, angsty, dreams, happiness, pain, friendship, creativity, beauty, colour, tones! Shows a moment in history but most of all shows the real people on who was based the characters. Full of life and creativity but selfish and in-consequent!

1. Reviewed by: Mick LaSalle
    Mar 21, 2013
    The result is a movie that, like the book, is episodic and has dips in energy but has more than its share of glory and illumination.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Notwithstanding the characters’ spiritual camaraderie, Salles’ emphasizes the hard physical labor and loneliness in Sal’s story, including the jittery rigors of the writing process. When he reaches a crossroads choice between down-and-out Dean and his own rising career, Sal senses that except for the words on a typewritten scroll, his life on the road is gone, real gone.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Mar 21, 2013
    Even if Salles' film can't possibly capture the impact of its source, it's intriguing enough to rate a place in the ever-expanding mythology of "the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live."