1.6

Overwhelming dislike- based on 129 Ratings

1. Sep 12, 2013
    Absolutely appalling waste of money. Poorly constructed documentary, avoid at all costs! Nothing more than a ploy to feed out of 12 year old girls mother's purses.
  2. Sep 9, 2013
    O this movies has 2 sides the directioner side and the normal man side-so this movieon the directioner side is perfect the movie is for teen girls and only they will say it is perfect i had a survey whit my frends whit it so i know,and on the regular male side like me the ,ovie is pure cuz it is just no do not go and watch it if you do not like 1D i can listen to them but no so my score is 2 and that is it directioners can give it a 10000 but it will not help the movie is and that is it Expand
  3. Oct 18, 2013
    If you're like me and think 1D makes ears bleed, then the obviously-scripted terrible humor movie this claims to be (heh, calling it a movie as if its good... trust me its not) will throw constant amateur footage of concerts at you instead of giving any scenes with the group in and if so, it will just be dumb little skits. Bad, ripoff, and it seems like on of those movies quickly made off a TV show just to make money and not entertain you in the slightest. Give it a miss. Expand
  4. Sep 27, 2013
    While "This Is Us" was inspirational, charismatic, and affirmed that anything can happen it was still incoherent, sloppy, and without direction (no pun intended). What makes the film sloppy and incoherent is the fact that much of the scenes are out of place. For example, one moment you are listening to them in concert and the next you're seeing them on "The X-Factor". Additionally, some scenes give off a staged feeling such as when Liam and Harry are talking on the dock. Finally, it is blatantly obvious by the structure of the film that the studio rushed to get this out there fully knowing that it would make a ton of money. Expand
  5. Oct 25, 2013
    It seems like I have to make up for 150 character for It's a crapy "documentary" about a crappy "band", that is only getting positive reviews for 12 year old girls that discovered metacritic.
  6. Aug 30, 2013
    There are moments of clear absurdity when the group of guys crafted on a Simon Cowell talent show insist that they can always just be themselves, for instance and the film does lay on the “wacky kids” and “our fans are so important” gloss with marketing-ploy thickness. But there are moments of screwy honesty a couple chats with obviously heartsick parents stick out as counterpoints to the celebration and the actual concert moments are both better entwined and more explosively captured than anything of this popdoc ilk has so far managed (looking at you, Bieber and Perry). In short, there is nothing you wouldn’t expect, but at least it’s all done with flair. And it’s not like it’s made for anyone but the teenage girls who saw the concert the first time through anyway. Expand
  7. Aug 31, 2013
    "This is us" is a wonderful documentary/concert movie for everyone. It doesn't matter if you are a fan of one direction or not. The 1D guys are surprisingly charming, entertaining and also very talented. You'll enjoy it!!!
  8. Sep 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was great. At first I didn't want to go because I didn't like them but after the movie I love them. I love this movie and it's my favorite movie right now. Expand
  9. Mar 1, 2014
    Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay Gay and its gay as well Expand
  10. Sep 12, 2013
    The movie was not top-tier, but it was acceptable. I've listened to One Direction's music also, not a fan, but it's more or less fine, but the hate is unnecessary. Half of the 49 negative reviews are probably from haters who just gave it zero without watching the movie. I also see that some of the people created accounts just to rate this movie a terrible score.
  11. Jan 20, 2014
    Let's be clear, if you're not a fan of this guys there's no reason why you should watch this movie. You'll end up being more annoyed than entertained, (The 3D isn't bad but it won't improve your experience) I don't hate 1D as much as other people do, however, It's true when they say that this movie is only meant for their die hard fans.
  12. Jan 3, 2014
    Overview
    An overview of the rise, and current members, of One Direction.

Review (with Spoilers)
    Back when I used to watch the original X-Factor these guys were on, but being that boy bands are more miss than hit, at least with my music taste, I would skip their performances. A few years later, after them losing, they are now following in many other musicians’ footsteps and releasing a
    documentary/ concert movie. But, the question is: can this movie convert you into a fan, or is just made for their established audience?

Characters & Story
    Of the band you can see Harry, Zayn and Niall are the potential breakouts with Liam and Louis having their place, but not being as charismatic or interesting. The reason for this is three (Harry, Zayn and Niall) all have this sort of appeal in which they seem like they could be the leads. For example, Harry comes off as the sort of modern version of Mick Jagger, though with less drugs; Zayn seems a bit more modern in comparison with him seeming like he would work within a modern emo-pop band; and then Niall seems like your general boy next door, which is his appeal. Together, though Harry and Zayn more so, they seem to get the most focus when it comes to interview segments, seeing their families, or life before fame, than the others.

As for the film as a whole, between songs from their first two albums and interview segments, as well as us seeing them venture around tour stops, that is what makes up the movie. You learn what they did before X-Factor, slightly, and then what happened in the lead up to their audition; you hear about some of the band drama like Louis and Liam not being fond of one another, during their time on X-Factor; and them once thinking of kicking out Zayn; but for the most part you see a strong brotherhood in which it seems together they are far stronger as a group than they would be as solo artist.

Praise

Be it the fact that some members, naturally, have more name recognition than others, it was good, to me, that the people who you’d recognize the most are the ones who got the most screen time. And while I may not be the aimed for demographic, I did like two of the songs within the film. Those two not so great I would want to download them, but I do think when you watch the film, despite how asinine the idea is, you can understand why they are being compared to The Beatles, past them both being British boy bands.

I mean, One Direction seems physically/ visually fit for the times. They are a bunch of tattooed model looking boys, but they aren’t cookie cutter per se. More so, they are almost like a PG version of the Jackass crew. And, like The Beatles, currently they are in a phase in which their aim, more so, is mainstream music to appeal to a female fan base, no different from when The Beatles were doing “She Loves You,” “I Want To Hold Your Hand” and their other classics. But, the question does remain if the boys’ music will grow up and become deeper, or if they simply will just look edgy, but continue to sing songs which are as shallow as a kiddy pool.

Criticism

Let it be known, this film isn’t likely to convert you. For one, there isn’t really any background into any of the songs to make them seem deeper than they appear, and while you must admire their fans for taking them to where they are, between the songs and who we see of their fandom, you can tell that they aren’t trying to appeal to anyone past a female demographic.

But perhaps my main issue is that there isn’t much of a narrative when it comes to the film. In other concert films there is usually a build toward something, be it like Kevin Hart’s Let Me Explain in which we followed him on his way to Madison Square Garden or Michael Jackson’s This Is It which chronicled his preparations for his would-be arena stay. However, for This Is Us we are basically just following them around in a style no better than what fellow British Band Little Mix had when their band went to Japan, with the only difference being that One Direction goes to more places and Little Mix posted their videos to YouTube. Thus making the film, outside the concert element, feel like bits which could have been put on YouTube years before the film, but they were saving it for a movie in hopes of making as much money Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber made with their concert films.

Overall: TV Viewing

Honestly, I’m not even sure why a fan would buy this unless they are the type of fan which likes to collect everything the band ever put out. I say this because there are likely full, uninterrupted, concerts on YouTube and better interviews also within the same site. So, it makes this film seem like just a ploy for cash, more than something really trying to let you into the boys world and give you the opportunity to get to know them and their music. Because of that, I say this is a TV Viewing type of movie. Something which doesn’t need to be bought, or rented, for it doesn’t have that type of value where it needs to be seen
  13. Mar 7, 2014
    who would make a movie on 1d there just a bunch of **** who waste there times who write songs i rather watch katy perry : this is a part of me then watch this ****

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Sep 2, 2013
    I suspect a previous, wackier idea for the film was ditched in favour of a slick promotional video about their jaw-dropping global tour, but I also have to admit that this is a rather watchable record of a phenomenon.
  2. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Sep 2, 2013
    It's misleading to call this a documentary — fan fodder is more like it.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Hartlaub
    Sep 2, 2013
    The 3-D 1D movie is aimless, seemingly deceptive and spreads a poor message: that it's OK to act extremely immature, as long as you have millions of blind followers who think it's cute.