7.5

1. Jul 13, 2013
    Rarely does a movie get everything right. The story is interesting and playful. The characters are dynamic, and fun, and a little silly at times, but fleshed out enough to be believable people you can empathize, respect, and in one case fear a little. However, the best part is that this film understand and get's what it its. It isn't afraid to admit what it is, and how essentiallyRarely does a movie get everything right. The story is interesting and playful. The characters are dynamic, and fun, and a little silly at times, but fleshed out enough to be believable people you can empathize, respect, and in one case fear a little. However, the best part is that this film understand and get's what it its. It isn't afraid to admit what it is, and how essentially ridiculous the premise is, so unlike most movies it doesn't waste most of it's time trying to explain how it isn't what it really is, and dedicates it's resources to amazing fights and great character moments. Half of this film is just straight up monster battles. I'm giving this a 10/10 not because I think it is one of the best movies ever made or anything like that, but because I honestly can't think of a single way to improve this movie. Expand
  2. Jul 16, 2013
    Kaiju fans will love this. Full of genre tropes and homages, but delivered in a unique mix. More humanity than most, with a clever plot device called "the drift". Clearly a labor of love. Great wall metaphor too.
  3. Jul 15, 2013
    It's not often we get a treat like this. A solid story laid the foundation for one of the coolest, most thrilling movie experiences I've had in a long whole. The action set pieces are on such a scale and really get your blood pumping. The brawls look fantastic and really brutal. Watching colossal aliens being punched repeatedly in the face by these metal beasts is just amazing, But it'sIt's not often we get a treat like this. A solid story laid the foundation for one of the coolest, most thrilling movie experiences I've had in a long whole. The action set pieces are on such a scale and really get your blood pumping. The brawls look fantastic and really brutal. Watching colossal aliens being punched repeatedly in the face by these metal beasts is just amazing, But it's not all about the action. The characters are given a lot of attention too. They're by no means 2D and they all have backstories and their own motivations. A masterpiece really. Expand
  4. Jul 28, 2013
    For an action movie, this is perfect. That's the reason for a score of 10. Awesome effects, cliche but enjoyable characters and lines, predictable plot. Still an absolute pleasure to watch. From an mech-anime fan, it's like a dream come true, particularly if your a fan of the Evangelion franchise.
  5. Jul 20, 2013
    This is a dream come true for everyone who grew up watching the classic Kaiju Mecha genre. Predictable but wonderfully executed by Del Toro. The characters, action, story all scream of nostalgia.
  6. Jul 29, 2013
    This isn't Shakespeare by any means. It is, however, the most entertaining movie I've seen in a long time. If you enjoy movies that are kinda dumb yet super awesome (Terminator, Predator, Alien, etc), you will like this movie.
  7. Xon
    Aug 16, 2013
    Absolutely amazing. Delivers what it promised. Perhaps there isn't such a big audience for this kind of movie to validade the budget, but the film-makers squeezed every bit of brilliance out of everything and everyone that went into this film. You have to be really cynical not to like this film. For me its like a modern fairy tale.
  8. Jul 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pacific Rim is a 2013 science fiction film directed by Guillermo del Toro with Charlie Hunnam, Rinko Kikuchi and Rob Perlman.
    In a future world the earth was attacked by the giant alien monsters called Kaiju, emerged on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean through an interdimensional portal. Because, to destroy one of those monsters many lives are sacrificed, it was decided to build giant robots called Jaegers controlled by two pilots. Initially, the robots are able to get the better of the monsters, but the latter seem to adapt to new weapons and that pushes humanity to the brink of disaster. The last remaining Jaegers are taken in Hong Kong and the former pilot Jaeger, Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam) is persuaded to return to the team he left after losing his brother, also a pilot, clashing against a Kaiju. Here begins the last attack to save humanity.
    Although it seems not to follow the rules of the director, Pacific Rim is a product of Del Toro and we can see it in the prologue, which serves to immerggerci in the world we are told the story and also in the memories of Mako (Rinko Kikuchi) a lot well done.
    The film is inspired by the anime of the 70s and also to those of today (especially Neo Genesis Evangelion).
    The plot is not very original but it is by no means trivial or obvious. The photography of the film is well done as well as special effects (featuring beautiful as are the Kaiju and Jaegers).
    The fight scenes between the giants are well made and it is clear that they were made in anime style (such as special moves of Jaegers).
    The film also manages to entertain with humor and never forced anything vulgar or exaggerated.
    It will not be a masterpiece but Guillermo was able to create a great film
  9. Jul 20, 2013
    This is easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's everything an action movie should be and then some. Anyone coming to the theater looking for badass fights between giant robots and giant monsters will be utterly satisfied by some of the best fight scenes I have ever seen in all of cinema, as it keeps throwing new things at you and every single one goes over extremely well. TheThis is easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's everything an action movie should be and then some. Anyone coming to the theater looking for badass fights between giant robots and giant monsters will be utterly satisfied by some of the best fight scenes I have ever seen in all of cinema, as it keeps throwing new things at you and every single one goes over extremely well. The special effects and visual design are simply masterful; the Jaegers look exactly how a giant robotic mech suit should, their interfaces look suitably futuristic and cool, while on the other end the Kaiju look suitably otherworldly, but with enough grounding to not look out of place in our world. On the story end of things, you have a surprisingly intricate tale of multiple characters who each have personal struggles relating to the Kaiju invasion and subsequent advent of Jaegers, as well as even minor characters generally being at worst interesting and entertaining and at best well-developed and multidimensional. It's also simply astounding just how well this movie built its world, with every environment feeling exactly how it should and fitting into the rest of the setting very impressively. Certain flashback scenes which I won't spoil were simply a joy to watch, masterful displays of cinematography at its absolute best, and the rest of the movie isn't far behind them. I honestly can't think of any legitimate complaints about this movie, beyond petty gripes not worth mentioning. It's simply worth watching, no matter who you are. Expand
  10. Feb 21, 2014
    Wow, just wow. I give a 10 rating once every 5 yrs or so and this rates that big time! This film is Transformers vs Godzillas on steroids, amped up to the max. The intensity is phenomenal, you'll wish the entire film was just mega-sized fight scenes.Yes, you can criticize this and that about the story, plot, etc but you'll be missing the entire point of the film. Enjoy this for what it is,Wow, just wow. I give a 10 rating once every 5 yrs or so and this rates that big time! This film is Transformers vs Godzillas on steroids, amped up to the max. The intensity is phenomenal, you'll wish the entire film was just mega-sized fight scenes.Yes, you can criticize this and that about the story, plot, etc but you'll be missing the entire point of the film. Enjoy this for what it is, and it's the best at what it does. Expand
  11. Jul 18, 2013
    What can be said? There are plenty of audience pointed blockbusters. Good ones, bad ones. Popcorn flips, But only in unique cases there are MASTERPIECEs. Like Avengers, Tron, Star Trek. As well there are some breakthrough ideas occur in every summer. Like Inception, Dark Knight, Ted or something like that. Anyway.
    PACIFIC RIM is all of it combined and multiplied at least five times. One
    PACIFIC RIM is all of it combined and multiplied at least five times. One of the greates and most underestimated director of our time Guillermo Del Toro has done one of the most incredible sci-fi movies in late 100 years. It is not Space Odyssey by Kubrick, Not a War of Worlds by Spielberg, or Nolan's Inception and anything else. It is an alien invasion on high profile. It is a hidden dangerous, comes from the abyss of our world. It is science, why two pilots? You will know and will be shocked. Why Kaiju? Keep calm and just watch.
    Does it cost 2 hours? Yes it does. It has everything from humor to drama, from love to honor. Visually Spectacular. Joyfully directed, perfectly performed characters by Idris Elba, Charlie Hunnam and ROn Pearlman. So Amazing storyline and visual show. great score. You will not have an opportunity to get some popcorn, cause you will not be able to taker your eyes away from it.
  12. Jul 20, 2013
    "Do you want to sit here or go out there and do something really stupid" Pacific Rim is a gigantic monster brawl. But not like Godzilla versus Mechagodzilla. It has awesome special effects, great acting and a amazing story. Something that you would usually get in a movie like Argo or Lincoln. But this movie delivers all that. Don't be turned off by the genre and even though it's in"Do you want to sit here or go out there and do something really stupid" Pacific Rim is a gigantic monster brawl. But not like Godzilla versus Mechagodzilla. It has awesome special effects, great acting and a amazing story. Something that you would usually get in a movie like Argo or Lincoln. But this movie delivers all that. Don't be turned off by the genre and even though it's in third place in the box office it is easily better than Grown ups 2 in critical reception and it may be better than Despicable Me 2 for older kids. So really it should be number 1. Also if you think it may be scary for little kids that's not true. There only gore that comes from the monster and one or two curses. Maybe not for 4-8 years olds but anyone older will probably be alright. So anyway this films boasts amazing visuals, great acting and a great story. I wouldn't be surprised if it won an Oscar for best visuals. This is a definite must see. Expand
  13. Jul 25, 2013
    as someone who grew up with Transformers and was heavily disappointed with Michael Bay's movies, and I also grew up with Godzilla, well this movie was just made for me and people of similar generations.
    Surprising that in the US they didn't like it, guess Mechs and Kaijus weren't as big in there back in the 80/90s.
    Although, yes, the movie has obvious cliches and one scene that simply

Although, yes, the movie has obvious cliches and one scene that simply showed the hand going through the building that wasn't cool nor funny, but when you grow up to that kind of things, seeing a tribute to your childhood heroes is always fun
  14. Aug 13, 2013
    If you like SCI FI, if you like anime, if you're into action movies, this is the BEST MOVIE EVER, it sure was for me, no regrets in watching it, kept me on the edge of the seat the whole time, i'm planning on seeing it a couple more time on theaters while i still can.
  15. Jul 14, 2013
    Pacific Rim gushes with love with every single scene Robot designs, one liners, the simplistic plot make for a non-cluttered enjoyable expirience for everyone involved.

Not needed, but I personally recommmend seeing this film in 3D. Having all the battles and characters on different grounds makes everything seem very real and makes all the action easy to see.
  16. Jul 17, 2013
    Easily the best movie of the year so far, amazing special effects, solid writing great characterization. It's pretty much Evangelion, if Evangelion wasn't awful. See it, see it again, you will not regret it.
  17. Dec 2, 2013
    Perfect plot, best Bluray release ever, with 10+ 3D video and 10+ lossless DTS HD-MA audio track.

You must have this movie if you loved at least one of these movies/characters:
    Godzilla
    Mazinger
    Power Rangers
    Jurassic Park
    Gamera
  18. Jul 14, 2013
    Listen, this is THE popcorn SUMMER ACTION movie. This is BETTER than any other films in it's genera. I'll keep it simple. If you want to be pulled into the ride of your life, and be hit in the face with total badassness then go see this film. Ignore anything else you hear. It's a fun, action packed, insane ride.
  19. Jul 14, 2013
    phenomenal...great movie, very powerful...exclusive director Guillermo del Toro, one of my favorite... spectacle for the eyes and ears. Epic from start to finish
  20. Jul 20, 2013
    Great fun, amazing designs. The Jaegers especially were pure joy to watch. There's no lulling dip dragging out mankind's first contact, or over the top drama, just monsters versus robots. Absolutely brilliant.
  21. Oct 22, 2013
    It was action packed robot flick! Future Perfect for any Robot movie like never before. Pacific Rim still the best summer movie of all time since The Avengers. Very Flawless!
  22. Jul 16, 2013
    In short, see it. You won't regret it, stop wasting your time looking at this and look at the movie!
    Anyways, this movie does everything I can think of right. The action is amazing with the best special effects I have ever seen. There isn't as much as you might expect but it certainly makes up for that in quality. The story is good, not really anything special, but it certainly surprised me that the story wasn't just an excuse to watch monsters and robots fight. It also struck me how plausible things seems. At no point does it step outside of the bounds of reason in any ways that's distracting. In fact it's hard to think of anything that couldn't actually work. By making the Jaegers piloted by two people was a nice way to blend the action with the plot that was surprisingly good. I went into the movie with high expectations because of what I heard about it, and what I got shattered my already high expectations.
  23. Jul 13, 2013
    Pacific Rim was glorious. It was Power Rangers vs Godzilla. Giant crabs attacking Japan, pterodactyls lifting giant mechs into the sky, attacks moves being shouted at the screen-- stupendous! The film does not take itself seriously and plays out like a live-action anime, specifically like the 70s and 80s mech anime I grew up with. If you remember Voltron, Patlabor, Power Rangers, and evenPacific Rim was glorious. It was Power Rangers vs Godzilla. Giant crabs attacking Japan, pterodactyls lifting giant mechs into the sky, attacks moves being shouted at the screen-- stupendous! The film does not take itself seriously and plays out like a live-action anime, specifically like the 70s and 80s mech anime I grew up with. If you remember Voltron, Patlabor, Power Rangers, and even the original Godzilla films, you cannot miss this. Highly recommended! Expand
  24. Jul 12, 2013
    An epic, gloriously goofy summer film for lovers of giant monsters and robots. Guillermo del Toro must have had a blast making this film, and it shows. Beautiful visuals, offbeat characters, and awesome battles. The dialogue is corny and cliched, but thats part of the fun. Great casting also, everyone fits perfectly into there parts. Those that are fans of Anime will have a lot of funAn epic, gloriously goofy summer film for lovers of giant monsters and robots. Guillermo del Toro must have had a blast making this film, and it shows. Beautiful visuals, offbeat characters, and awesome battles. The dialogue is corny and cliched, but thats part of the fun. Great casting also, everyone fits perfectly into there parts. Those that are fans of Anime will have a lot of fun picking out the numerous references to various past works, there is even a couple nods to Star Wars. Expand
  25. Jul 16, 2013
    This is a movie whose parts would never work by themselves, but when mixed together make the whole experience AWESOME. I could poke holes in the plot, characters and logic of the movie all day long(easily, in fact), and it wouldn't change my opinion at all. It was like watching Robotech and Godzilla for the first time when I was a kid.

No, it wouldn't win Best Picture, and it's not

No, it wouldn't win Best Picture, and it's not deep and thought-provoking. Just listen to del Toro talk about the movie. You can tell that was NOT the type of movie he wanted to make. He wanted to make a fun movie about robots fighting giant monsters, because he loves those kinds of movies. And that's exactly what he did. And that's why you should go watch it.
  26. Dec 30, 2013
    think this is the last time i'll ever listen to bad reviews. this movie is great! and definitely a nice watch on Blu-ray. it had everything i wanted, and took me back in memory of a game with mech warriors from sega. i'll actually be buying this.
  27. Jul 12, 2013
    Wow, what an incredible movie. I enjoyed the effects more than those in Avatar and the movie has the best 3D effects I've ever seen. There were a few moments where I was on the edge of my seat and the fighters made moves that just floored me--really great action sequences that will awe you. So cool
  28. Jul 13, 2013
    Disclaimer: I loved this movie. I watched it twice, back-to-back, in 3D.

Disclaimer: I loved this movie. I watched it twice, back-to-back, in 3D.

I loved the action and the spectacle. The battles, despite the one absurdity of giant robots fighting alien invaders had sense of realism that was rather unnerving. Everything but that (minor detail) was eerily plausible. I also liked the other messages found throughout. Mostly, though, I loved how it all came together as a kind of celebration of the value science and technology when coupled with human courage, ingenuity, innovation, self-sacrifice, individualism (when appropriate), and cooperation (when appropriate).

It's the many minor messages within the movie that made it stand out from mindless summer action movie fare (which are fine, on occasion).

First, what I like the most: I liked abiding theme of science and technology being tools for human salvation. There are literally no scenes without some object of human ingenuity in view. The giant robots are man-machine saviours that aid humanity in fighting against grotesque organic monsters.

(As an aside: I like nature. I was raised in a rural area, and I enjoyed camping. But make no mistake, nature can be brutal, and it is only human scientific, technological, social, and other developments that can keep the monster at bay. If you doubt me, try surviving alone and without man-made equipment for a week in virtually any natural environment. You may not be dead, but you'll almost wish you were. Where I live (just outside a city of 1 million), you’d be dead in less than 5 hours without winter clothing, six months a year. Nature can be subservient to us, but it must never again be our master. Precambrian humans had an average life expectancy of 31 years. Also, like the monsters in this movie, any number larger wild animals would kill a human without a second thought. A bear will rip a child to shreds. Wolves (prior to their gradual domestication by killing the more violent ones over the centuries), were a particularly large threat in Europe. An elephant will gore a grown man. And so on. **It is solely our scientific, technological, and social advancements made possible by an appropriate mix of individual initiative and group cooperation that keep the nightmare at bay.** The movie Pacific Rim acknowledges this. Unlike the technological luddism of, for example, the Terminator movies or Avatar [which both partially denigrate technology and science], this movie celebrates human achievement and progress. And movies could use more of that.)

I liked that movie (unlike almost all American blockbusters) takes place in several locations, none of which are large American cities. The United States comprises about 5% of the global population, and it’s nice to see that represented in an American blockbuster. And how many times do you really want to see New York destroyed, for instance?

I appreciated the message that both cooperation and individual initiative are prudent and necessary. The fight against (for instance, there are several instances of insubordination and deviations from military procedure, but they mostly involve serving the greater good).

I liked the love story component. The lead man was not a handsome male Brad Pitt lookalike, and the female love interest was not the typical American supermodel of action flicks. Rather, she was an English-speaking Chinese national who models the very best traits of many females from that culture. She is polite and respectful, yet stands up for her beliefs non-confrontationally, and she is obviously intelligent. She is "equal but different" from the main male protagonist.

I appreciated the cursory mention of the cause for the alien invasion: global environmental degradation, the (spoiler) reason for the alien invasion.

Although there is much "apocalyptic porn" (hey, I like it too), the body count is actually quite low. While we see entire skyscrapers destroyed, because civilians are evacuated in shelters, the number of civilian casualties is less than 100. (Contrast that with "Man of Steel", which had a casualty count of six or seven figures).

It was nice to see scientists portrayed are heroes. The two scientist characters literally risk their lives to test a theory and gain evidence that is crucial to a positive outcome. This world needs more scientists and technologists. Even the characters' stereotypical eccentricity is endearing: they have their foibles, but they are each aware of it. Sometimes, human foibles are unavoidable, and condemning people for (relatively) harmless quirks that they cannot change serves no purpose.

I did like that movie avoids many Hollywood clichés (for the above reasons).

If I had one complaint, it's that the movie is too short. It's 2 hours and 10 minutes. However, there is less action than I would have liked. It's not that there is too much "non-action" content. It's just that another 30 minutes or so of giant robot battles would have been swell.

In short: see it.
  29. Jul 15, 2013
    I loved this movie for what it is, a magificent tribute to the Mecha and Kaiju generes. The fights are simply amazing and the visual effects are top notch. Del Toro makes this colosual Mechas come alive in a way that I've never seen before. Of course it has many cliches but it's a Robot vs Monster movie, what did you expect? The character do feel generic but IMHO they fit in a perfect way.I loved this movie for what it is, a magificent tribute to the Mecha and Kaiju generes. The fights are simply amazing and the visual effects are top notch. Del Toro makes this colosual Mechas come alive in a way that I've never seen before. Of course it has many cliches but it's a Robot vs Monster movie, what did you expect? The character do feel generic but IMHO they fit in a perfect way. If this movie would had been released in the 90s it would have marked my childhood.

If you are a fan of Mecha anime or shows this is a must see.
  30. Jul 13, 2013
    To all those critics that they don't have the slight imagination in their heads ,disconnect for the harsh stuff that is happening in the world and put your self in the fantasy world of a movie like this and really by heart enjoy it you can't call your selfs critic ,the movie it's awesome refreshing it brings me back to those days of mazinger z robotec or even gundan, if you don't takeTo all those critics that they don't have the slight imagination in their heads ,disconnect for the harsh stuff that is happening in the world and put your self in the fantasy world of a movie like this and really by heart enjoy it you can't call your selfs critic ,the movie it's awesome refreshing it brings me back to those days of mazinger z robotec or even gundan, if you don't take your mine to that era,your not going to enjoy the movie, for me it bring back my inner child and for the entire movie my mind was running wild remembering waking up rushing to see those cartoons or just walking in the street thinking that i was a giant robot and that the ants where the people lol to resume this ,great job del toro. Expand
  31. May 25, 2014
    This film completely defied my expectations! What i expected to be a passible action flick ended up being a non stop thrill ride with cooler action than i could have imagined! Do yourself a favor and go watch this one right now!
  32. Jul 24, 2013
    If you like movies, that is to say if you actually enjoy watching movies for what they are instead of pretend that all movies are supposed to provide you with some greater understanding of time/space/people/food/whatever then this movie really should not disappoint you. Personally, I love movies, I love to watch them, think about them, rewatch them, etc, but I know how to watch a givenIf you like movies, that is to say if you actually enjoy watching movies for what they are instead of pretend that all movies are supposed to provide you with some greater understanding of time/space/people/food/whatever then this movie really should not disappoint you. Personally, I love movies, I love to watch them, think about them, rewatch them, etc, but I know how to watch a given movie and take it for what it is. If you saw Del Toro's name attached to this and assumed it would be some sort of Pan's Labyrinth type movie then you clearly did not pay attention, if you assumed anything other than what the trailer told you then you were clearly not paying attention.

Giant robots fighting giant monsters.....That's it, nothing more needs to be said. It is not a character driven, make you think about life and the existence of yourself within the universe type movie. It is just great fun to watch. Anybody who has watched enough movies knows how this will play out but that still does not detract from actually watching it play out.

Anybody who has watched old Godzilla movies or even played King of the Monsters at some point in their life will appreciate this movie. Anybody who understands watching movies for sheer entertainment value will also likely appreciate this as it is visually pleasing, has many interesting ideas, and is pretty much an awesome homage to entire monster movie genre from a director who knows his way around a movie.
  33. Oct 1, 2013
    yes. just yes. in every way yes. this is every fan of action,sci fi and just pure awesomeness.the acting is pretty good its the action and back story that is the meat and bones of, what will hopefully spawn a long standing franchise.
  34. Jul 14, 2013
    Very fun and entertaining! I think I will see it again. Worth a see on the big screen. It will keep your attention and is a welcome addition to the monster movie genre. Hoping a prequel is made.
  35. Jul 12, 2013
    The acting could be better at times, but what it lacks in dialogue and speech, it more than makes up in beautiful, fun and unique action. This is not Transformers. It's Godzilla meets Gundam! Great movie for kids also. No sexual content whatsoever.
  36. Jul 15, 2013
    Separemos desde un principio dos cosas. Esta es una película de acción y efectos especiales, esto no es Sci-fi. Así que no vamos a hablar de excelsas linea de dialogo o profundidad en los personajes. Teniendo esto en cuenta, analicemos por que los Jeager de Pacific Rim son los Mechas mas increíbles que ha tenido el cine. Transformers marco una etapa donde los efectos habían empatado a laSeparemos desde un principio dos cosas. Esta es una película de acción y efectos especiales, esto no es Sci-fi. Así que no vamos a hablar de excelsas linea de dialogo o profundidad en los personajes. Teniendo esto en cuenta, analicemos por que los Jeager de Pacific Rim son los Mechas mas increíbles que ha tenido el cine. Transformers marco una etapa donde los efectos habían empatado a la fotografía de la película y todo después de Transformers era un post, era un "ya lo vimos, y mejor". Ahora tenemos estos colosales mechas, del tamaño de un rascacielos, rompiendo los margenes establecidos en Transformers, y ademas, peleando con criaturas que a pesar de ser oscuras y sin ningún previo en que basar el arte, terminaron por encantarnos, por tener una personalidad, y en lo mas profundo del monstruo; una relación con alguna fobia. A este punto, la película marca un nuevo nivel, una nueva base en efectos limpios y secuencias de acción monumental que nos impiden olvidarlas, y por supuesto; querer mas.

La película puede tener tropiezos, pero estos están en partes que no nos interesan. Uno no fue a ver Les miserables por los efectos visuales. Hay quienes quieren neciamente compararla con Neon Genesis Evangelion, y la película tiene dos cosas:
    1.- NO es Neon Genesis Evangelion, y
    2.- Es lo mas cerca y mejor logrado, en el ahora un genero de películas; los Mechas.

Es conmovedor leer que la película esta dedicada a Harryhausen y Honda. Al saber un poco de producción cinematográfica puedo decir sin problemas, que las secuencias donde pelean en Hong Kong es un logro técnico, un parte-aguas en la implementacion de efectos que solo Industrial Light and Magic pudo lograr, un gran tributo, un respeto y regalo a aquellos que nos hicieron imaginar cosas como esta hace muchos años.

Hoy digo Gracias por crear Pacific Rim, espero que de alguna manera Guillermo pueda convencer de hacer Bioshock.
  37. Jul 22, 2013
    This is, by far, one of the best movies of 2013. The fight scenes are epic and the story is well written. There's a lot to like from this movie if you enjoy giant robot action films.
  38. Aug 13, 2013
    This movie is ridiculously fun. The IMAX 3D version was also another bonus, because you really get to feel the enormity of the monsters and robots in the film. I

Bottom line: Don't go into this movie trying to criticize all the flaws of this movie...do this and you will not have fun. Instead, just go with the flow and immerse yourself into the story. It's some of the best action I've seen in a while and what's even better is that this is AN ORIGINAL STORY. How long has it been since we've had creative work produced? Support this movie, because it's success will encourage other studios to green-light more creative works as well.
  39. Aug 29, 2013
    Best movie of the summer, possibly the year. The gaphics in this movie are amazing. And the story line is great. And the battles very well done, they couldn't have been done better. They really are intense though. But I think this movie was very well balanced with the battle and the story. And it isn't like man of steel were their is a lot of crazy action for no reason. The action isBest movie of the summer, possibly the year. The gaphics in this movie are amazing. And the story line is great. And the battles very well done, they couldn't have been done better. They really are intense though. But I think this movie was very well balanced with the battle and the story. And it isn't like man of steel were their is a lot of crazy action for no reason. The action is backed up by the storyline very nicely. And I thought the casting was very good too. Quite a bit of people don't agree. But I loved all the characters. And I loved the storyline, And it was great acting to. Anyways. I would recommend seeing this movie HIGHLY while it is still in theaters. seeing it on the big screen is the best way to go. Expand
  40. Jul 12, 2013
    The reason why this movie is such a masterful work is that Guillermo Del Toro knows exactly how to set emotional tones. He sets up an atmosphere so easy to fall in love with it'll remind you that movies truly can have soul to them.
  41. Jul 21, 2013
    This movie just blew my expectations, Pacific Rim was damn good. The story was fine, because it doesn't have to be groundbreaking, the movie has action sequences to back it up. The fights were exciting and jaw dropping, because you can actually understand what the machines and monsters are doing, the kaiju could really bring up a fight. The acting was good, it wasn't bad and the mainThis movie just blew my expectations, Pacific Rim was damn good. The story was fine, because it doesn't have to be groundbreaking, the movie has action sequences to back it up. The fights were exciting and jaw dropping, because you can actually understand what the machines and monsters are doing, the kaiju could really bring up a fight. The acting was good, it wasn't bad and the main actor, he did a decent job. Their was also a chemistry between the two main pilots and I'm glad that their were scenes of development, for their relationship. For me Pacific Rim has the same rating with Star Trek Into Darkness, because the of these movies were so good and I'm going to give Pacific Rim a 10/10. Expand
  42. Jul 19, 2013
    Incredible! Just one of the many words to describe this film overall. The emotional depth of the characters was deep and sincere, creating attachment to each unique individual as the story progressed with a captivating intensity rarely attained in movies of this epic caliber. The visual effects were beyond breathtaking with some of the most monumental battle scenes in movie history. In theIncredible! Just one of the many words to describe this film overall. The emotional depth of the characters was deep and sincere, creating attachment to each unique individual as the story progressed with a captivating intensity rarely attained in movies of this epic caliber. The visual effects were beyond breathtaking with some of the most monumental battle scenes in movie history. In the end, this is without a doubt, a great achievement in cinema, and has a heart and hardcore attitude that'll please any moviegoer and have them cheering in elation. Expand
  43. Jul 12, 2013
    Truly EPIC movie from start to finish. Hands down the best movie so far this summer and a very very nice surprise. Did not expect to like it this much, The kid inside me was coming out like a chest buster from Aliens. Grand scale, great special effects, amazing sound effects, decent acting, and above avg story/script. Worth seeing.
  44. Jul 12, 2013
    What am i seeing is not able to believe, so gave10/10 no more numbers to give rating.....excellent movie...Don't miss it....u may not see this kinda movie these days....thanx for all the team worked in it and expecting more parts.....2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
  45. Jul 12, 2013
    I Remember when directors made movies with so much passion (early George Lucas, Spielberg, etc.) well that's what i sense after seeing Pacific Rim. It's has that spark of passion the same passion i feel most movies been lacking lately, there's no big Celebrities here or a big Franchise superhero, It focuses on delivering that "Magic" on the screen, and in my opinion that's what movies areI Remember when directors made movies with so much passion (early George Lucas, Spielberg, etc.) well that's what i sense after seeing Pacific Rim. It's has that spark of passion the same passion i feel most movies been lacking lately, there's no big Celebrities here or a big Franchise superhero, It focuses on delivering that "Magic" on the screen, and in my opinion that's what movies are all about, it all comes together so well. Big applause to Guillermo del Toro for showing us that movies can still be magic. Giant robots, monsters, what more could you ask. must see, if you are into Mecha, or Sci-fi. films you won't be disappointed. Expand
  46. Jul 13, 2013
    2nd best movie I've seen this year, I wish people would see it and rate it first than just rate it. If you just want to see action and a simple story this is it
  47. Jul 14, 2013
    Pacific Rim may be the most delightful summer blockbuster I've ever seen because it is EXACTLY what it promised it would be. Giant robots fighting giant monsters with absolutely beautiful visuals.
  48. Jul 14, 2013
    An amazing movie, where cliches didn't bothered me, because it was compensated with the astonishing special effects, the creativity of the Jaegers design, and the emotion that is injected to your bloodstream when you see them fight in unique and incredible locations. The acting was also amazing and it had very funny moments, classic of a Mexican director. I was also excited because itAn amazing movie, where cliches didn't bothered me, because it was compensated with the astonishing special effects, the creativity of the Jaegers design, and the emotion that is injected to your bloodstream when you see them fight in unique and incredible locations. The acting was also amazing and it had very funny moments, classic of a Mexican director. I was also excited because it reminded me the classics of Evangelion and Godzilla, being mixed up to become a stronger entretaining movie. Very well done del Toro! Expand
  49. Jul 15, 2013
    This was a wonderful experience I just felt like a child again, the movie is intelligent, intriguint and so excited. Guillermo del Toro must be one of the best directors of this era. Congratulation for our mexican artist
  50. Jul 16, 2013
    Those who say this movie is boring, just have no taste in a decent mecha anime, or hate all science fiction. I personally watched this movie and enjoyed it. Sure, most of the acting sucked, but most people would not care for such tripe. Most movie watchers these days would like to see a lot of action. However, movie critics that cal this movie trash are drama-freaks who hate scienceThose who say this movie is boring, just have no taste in a decent mecha anime, or hate all science fiction. I personally watched this movie and enjoyed it. Sure, most of the acting sucked, but most people would not care for such tripe. Most movie watchers these days would like to see a lot of action. However, movie critics that cal this movie trash are drama-freaks who hate science fiction (or Romantic Fiction as it was called back in the early days: LOOK IT UP, baka) because it makes no sense to them. Expand
  51. Jul 16, 2013
    If you like robots and monsters you can't really go wrong here. The acting isn't bad, the characters likable, the effects and *amazing*, and there's enough plot to keep things going but not enough to get in the way of what you went to see: robots beating up on monsters. I was actually really impressed with the characters and plot, initially worried there would be too much of them and IIf you like robots and monsters you can't really go wrong here. The acting isn't bad, the characters likable, the effects and *amazing*, and there's enough plot to keep things going but not enough to get in the way of what you went to see: robots beating up on monsters. I was actually really impressed with the characters and plot, initially worried there would be too much of them and I wouldn't see enough action. The science in this world mostly makes some sense and technical plot holes are few(once you accept the general setup). If you're a fan of mecha themed anime, grew up with Ultraman, or play video games that are action packed then you'll like this movie. Expand
  52. Jul 16, 2013
    Pacific Rim is pure unadulterated entertainment. The acting isn't the best, the script is kinda cheesy but it doesn't matter because the film works 100%. Visually amazing and when watched in the cinema on IMAX and 3D the mix of visuals and sound is overwhelmingly stunning and for a simple film it manages to keep you on the edge of your seat through to the end.
  53. Jul 16, 2013
    I was thinking about what conditional promise to make for this review on the way home from Pacific Rim tonight. "If you love Transformers, you'll love Pacific Rim!" or "If you love Godzilla/Guillermo del Toro/action movies-- you'll love Pacific Rim!" These scratch the surface, however. I can promise you: if you love *movies,* you will *love* Pacific Rim. This movie is the definition ofI was thinking about what conditional promise to make for this review on the way home from Pacific Rim tonight. "If you love Transformers, you'll love Pacific Rim!" or "If you love Godzilla/Guillermo del Toro/action movies-- you'll love Pacific Rim!" These scratch the surface, however. I can promise you: if you love *movies,* you will *love* Pacific Rim. This movie is the definition of fun, entertainment-- it reset my mind. Like us all, I've got life that I like to escape from, and I've found that movies granting me that escape have been becoming increasingly rare. This is a work of movie-art, a labour of love, and it's obvious the people behind it *threw* themselves into it. Go. See. Pacific. Rim. This gets a well-earned ten. Expand
  54. Jul 17, 2013
    This is the best movie of the summer! Plain and simple fun. good old fashion Rock um Sock um action movie. I will go see it again. If you want to have fun watching a great fight movie just like those good old GODZILLA movies, this is the movie for you but with better Graphs.
  55. Jul 18, 2013
    I felt like I was watching a modern version of a classic Toho film. It took me back, like when the food critic bites into the ratatouille in the movie Ratatouille.
  56. Jul 19, 2013
    Pacific Rim is what action based movies should be. It delivers it's plot early on and gives you an idea of how grim the situation is, but it fortunately doesn't linger on the base exposition long enough to bore you to tears. The action scenes are exceptionally well made and really reflect the realism (what realism there can be with giant robots fighting monsters) of how a battle like thisPacific Rim is what action based movies should be. It delivers it's plot early on and gives you an idea of how grim the situation is, but it fortunately doesn't linger on the base exposition long enough to bore you to tears. The action scenes are exceptionally well made and really reflect the realism (what realism there can be with giant robots fighting monsters) of how a battle like this would happen. All the actors play their characters fantastically, helping to really deliver the experience, such as Raleigh Becket's washed up pilot character type. Overall the soundtrack had me shivering in my seat with excitement as the first track accompanied the pilots suiting up to pilot their Jaeger, and it kept me intensified during each Kaiju battle that came on screen. While the overall plot did have many cliches in it, they were delivered in the proper way as to improve the story. I highly recommend that anyone see this movie at least once, as I've already seen it twice in IMAX. Expand
  57. Jul 19, 2013
    FUN!!! Yes, it's about giant robots battling giant monsters. And somehow a couple of scenes made me tear up. (I'm a father and the father-daughter scenes worked on me.) I'll be buying this one.
  58. Jul 19, 2013
    I thought, that "Pacific Rim" was a thoroughly, enjoyable, action-packed movie that got me gripping the seat and biting my nails. I don't get how people can stand to give it a low rating. The plot may have been lost a few times, but the intense action and graphics make up for everything. No famous celebs? Pssh. They're introducing brilliant new people, for God's sake, don't judge too much.I thought, that "Pacific Rim" was a thoroughly, enjoyable, action-packed movie that got me gripping the seat and biting my nails. I don't get how people can stand to give it a low rating. The plot may have been lost a few times, but the intense action and graphics make up for everything. No famous celebs? Pssh. They're introducing brilliant new people, for God's sake, don't judge too much. This is a quality movie, guys. They've spent millions on making it, and they deserve the millions back. This is what summertime in the cinemas should be consisting of. Critics, if you can find a movie in this genre that beats it, (in graphics, plot, and mind-blowing action), give me a call. I loved it. Expand
  59. Jul 26, 2013
    just awesome. its been a very long time i`ve not seen a movie that i would want to see twice. JUST INCREDIBLY AWESOME,,,,RECOMMEND IT TO EVERYONE!!!!~
  60. Jul 27, 2013
    If you didn't like this movie, then you just plain hate fun. Sure, the plot may be a little underdeveloped. Sure, the characters may almost be stock. But when you go to see a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters and you don't like the giant robots or giant monsters part, or hell, even the FIGHTING part, then why did you even see it? You're better off watching The Notebook orIf you didn't like this movie, then you just plain hate fun. Sure, the plot may be a little underdeveloped. Sure, the characters may almost be stock. But when you go to see a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters and you don't like the giant robots or giant monsters part, or hell, even the FIGHTING part, then why did you even see it? You're better off watching The Notebook or something, and you are not the kind of person I would want to be associated with. Expand
  61. Jul 30, 2013
    This year I haven't seen such a movie with so spectacular visual effects on an epic scale like "Pacific Rim". Director Guillermo del Toro has a wonderful imagination and he still knows how to amaze us. The battles between the Jaegers and Kaiju monsters are spectacular. An excellent complement to this movie is the score composed by Ramin Djawadi. "Pacific Rim" is definitely the best summerThis year I haven't seen such a movie with so spectacular visual effects on an epic scale like "Pacific Rim". Director Guillermo del Toro has a wonderful imagination and he still knows how to amaze us. The battles between the Jaegers and Kaiju monsters are spectacular. An excellent complement to this movie is the score composed by Ramin Djawadi. "Pacific Rim" is definitely the best summer blockbuster movie of the 2013! I wouldn't be surprised if it got Academy Awards in technical categories (Best Visual Effects, Best Sound, Best Sound Editing). Expand
  62. Aug 3, 2013
    Neon Genesis Evangelion IRL. Thats what you need to know.
    No, srsly it was very well written and delivered a compeling story from start to finish. The Score was fantastic, as the main theme developed over the course of the film, like in many other epic oriented movies.
    I disliked the WAY to cheese character of the black market leader. It almost ruined the realistic feeling of the movie.
    Neon Genesis Evangelion IRL. Thats what you need to know.
    Besides that, I recommend it to anyone looking for a good scifi/action movie, and definetly to mecha fans. (altough I am not)
    The Film deserves a 8.5 in my Eyes, but the really bad, baseless reviews, are just improper and the film does not deserve this.
  63. Aug 1, 2013
    Pacific rim is amazing. The best movie of the year so far and if you can watch it then go see it. it has Great action is well filmed and has visually stunning fights which feel like big robots vs big monsters should. the story is surprisingly amazing as well so with the great fights great story and it being truly coherent it makes a near perfect movie.like all of the cast are good from arePacific rim is amazing. The best movie of the year so far and if you can watch it then go see it. it has Great action is well filmed and has visually stunning fights which feel like big robots vs big monsters should. the story is surprisingly amazing as well so with the great fights great story and it being truly coherent it makes a near perfect movie.like all of the cast are good from are male and female protagonist to the scientists and the story keeps you intrigued through the entire thing Expand
  64. Aug 1, 2013
    If this movie were a person.. It'd be the most interesting man and chuck norris fused into one great bunch.. It's worth seeing once just for the ride.. a second time for the special effects.. and a third time to show off to your friends.. Best movie of the summer for me besides the Hobbit.. Both are truly.. a Great Journey.
  65. Aug 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great movie that differs from everything else released this summer. The 3D effects in it are very well executed, and not the typical cliche "Poking-Hand-Out-Of-Screen-For-The-Sake-Of-3D" thing you see in typical 3D movies. It actually makes you feel like you're IN the world with how it's executed.

I would heavily recommend watching this if you like big robots and monsters fighting, even though it's story is a little dry outside of the fighting in my personal opinion.
  66. Aug 9, 2013
    An epic movie!This movie is basically better than transformers or any other robot movies out there.The story might not be good but the action is thrilling and very exciting.I am telling you guys to go out there and watch this movie.It will be great.
  67. Sep 2, 2013
    I love the action, scenes, CGI, and special effects. I at first though that this movie was going to be dumb, but it was very good. Sure, its not the most original movie or idea ever and some parts may be cheesy, but its overall an excellent film. The Jaegars (the robots) and the Kaiju (alien monsters) are a visual treat. They look beautiful. My one complaint was that Raleigh and Mako'sI love the action, scenes, CGI, and special effects. I at first though that this movie was going to be dumb, but it was very good. Sure, its not the most original movie or idea ever and some parts may be cheesy, but its overall an excellent film. The Jaegars (the robots) and the Kaiju (alien monsters) are a visual treat. They look beautiful. My one complaint was that Raleigh and Mako's relationship was slightly rushed. I would have liked to see them interact a bit more. I hope there will be a sequel. THANK YOU GUILLERMO DEL TORO!

If you liked this review, read my other ones and mark this review as helpful.
  68. Sep 8, 2013
    I loved Pacific Rim. I can't say the amount of awesomeness this movie had/has, and it was BAD-ASS in the theatre. It probably won't be so epic when watched by your own little TV, but it's still epic. The fighting scenes were beautiful and very well done, the effects were super-cool and oh-my-god. THE MUSIC. Main theme is one of my favorite movie songs of all time. I totally recommend thisI loved Pacific Rim. I can't say the amount of awesomeness this movie had/has, and it was BAD-ASS in the theatre. It probably won't be so epic when watched by your own little TV, but it's still epic. The fighting scenes were beautiful and very well done, the effects were super-cool and oh-my-god. THE MUSIC. Main theme is one of my favorite movie songs of all time. I totally recommend this to ANYONE who loves epic effects, awesome action scenes and kaijus! Expand
  69. Dec 17, 2013
    When you sit down to watch this movie, don't expect fantastic acting, interesting dialogue or a compelling story. Instead, this film is absolutley perfect at what it aims to do; its a balls out, over the top action spectacle.
  70. Sep 20, 2013
    Maybe the trama sounds similar like Evangelion, Godzilla, & Transformers, but Pacific Rim has something different, and is the cool part of the movie, the visual effects are A M A Z I N G, the story has a fantastic development, the 3D is great, and the performances are great. Pacific Rim is one of the most espectacular movies of this year.
  71. Oct 17, 2013
    awesome movie it was action after action i watched it first day out and i loved it its defiantly worth watching again i would recommend this movie to everyone because the story line gets you thinking
    i waited a long time to watch this movie and i wasn't disappointed
  72. Oct 28, 2013
    les robot sont trop cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! et puis les combat aussi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! la fin est cool tout est cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  73. Oct 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pacific Rim is a great movie, the battle scenes between Jaegers and Kaijus are fantastic. The only thing I don't like is that they only used 5 jaegers in the battle scenes (the fifth is the Coyote Tango). It would have been better if they added more jaegers but who cares? It's a great movie for kids.

Once again, the film is great. I just hope that they add more jaegers (or if possible: battles during days rather than night with very hard rains because, for me, everything seemed hard to see when they fight at night.) so it's more enjoyable.

Other than that, it's a very enjoyable movie for young audiences, good job Guillermo Del Toro for making a fantastic movie!
  74. Nov 24, 2013
    Pacific Rim the best summer movie ever made. It even fits the definition of a exploding summer blockbuster film which knows what it's doing. Pacific Rim also knows how to be one by not getting you bored while these titans fight in our cities. One side is made out of metal and the other is completely organic. Giant 250ft tall mechanical beings fighting equally 250 or 300 feet monsters isPacific Rim the best summer movie ever made. It even fits the definition of a exploding summer blockbuster film which knows what it's doing. Pacific Rim also knows how to be one by not getting you bored while these titans fight in our cities. One side is made out of metal and the other is completely organic. Giant 250ft tall mechanical beings fighting equally 250 or 300 feet monsters is just something that has never been done before in a long time and it's all thanks to Guillermo Del Toro for pulling the drawings of giant robots and monsters out of my head, and finally putting them into a movie! This is the only movie by far, which has action on a scale that is physically unimaginable. And what's so great about this movie as well, is not only the action, there's a really great sense of humanity in this movie. That we haven't got in a long time too. Great characters and each shows a great purpose in their roles. Charlie Hunnam, I will agree his accent is a little wonky at times. But that's not enough to bring down on how big his charisma is in the movie. A really badass likable character. Though what I wished was more character development between him and his lost brother. It's sad, we didn't get that. But still, Charlie makes the heck out of the movie. Idris Elba, the actor known for playing Heimdall in Thor, is an amazing actor. That focus, and moral center of the movie, is what defines Idris' character. Rinko Kikuchi, an actress who has less knowledge of an eye candy, yet to nail her role in playing the role of an isolated beautiful object in this movie and has really a great backstory. But she's just as good as Charlie's character, who has a badass backstory but it's a little one-dimensional. Charlie Day, from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, is hilarious in this movie. Every scene he's in is appropriate for the comedic relieves and he's the scientist who's always hyperactive on drugs, especially the Hong Kong scenes where he's in. Great! Ron Perlman, known for making his cameo longer than any cameos I've seen, does a great job as a leader of a black market Kaiju dealer. Really great. Guillermo specifically said he wanted something that looked weirder or stranger than the giant monsters, so we got this. Something to be taken with the opposite of serious. And the rest of the cast did a fine job at bringing the movie with the sense of actual continuity. Pacific Rim definitely deserves a sequel as there's so much more of it's story that we needed. And the sequel should also tell more of the prologue which is quite short in this movie, unfortunately. Not giving audiences more information and therefore having others to felt like this movie had some part of the plot that didn't make sense. But I wasn't one of them. I know everything there is to know about Pacific Rim. Now I've said this and I will say it again, Pacific Rim is not just everything about explosions and spectacle and metal and monsters fighting, it has really great human elements in this movie. Unlike the Transformers which has some really inappropriate moments that just tore the film down and it's annoying. The action in there was really subtle, meaning it's bad and it's really hard to understand which transformer is fighting which transformer. Michael Bay and Dreamworks, you got some mess to do. Okay! So overall, Pacific Rim is an awesome great action summer blockbuster movie that deserves to receive all your money and it's really worth most of our time. Really dates back to the mecha and kaiju sub-genres in the past and now it's been revived. Thank you Guillermo Del Toro and the rest of his crew for making this entire movie possible. Thank you. Can't wait for it's sequel which is in storywriting process now! XD Expand
  75. Dec 21, 2013
    Comparing Transformers, I Robot, RoboCop (and all the movies of robots) this leaves them as the worst. Guillermo del Toro treats us to a spectacular show of special effects and action-filled moments of tension and adrenaline. The plot is very smart and keeps you tied to the seat. The performances are not like Daniel Day Lewis, Christoph Waltz, Brad Pitt and all of them, but there are goodComparing Transformers, I Robot, RoboCop (and all the movies of robots) this leaves them as the worst. Guillermo del Toro treats us to a spectacular show of special effects and action-filled moments of tension and adrenaline. The plot is very smart and keeps you tied to the seat. The performances are not like Daniel Day Lewis, Christoph Waltz, Brad Pitt and all of them, but there are good and which emphasize. The outcome and the course are sublime. Here we have another light in the dark moment is going Hollywood with a fresh idea. If not I at least nominated for an Oscar I'll descepiconar and I think I am not alone. Expand
  76. Jan 2, 2014
    There's no way you can't love this movie. Being a fan of Gundam and the original Godzilla movies, seeing those two things together was like my dream becoming true. The plot is amazing with a major focus on the humans, the actors playing the characters are pretty good, but sometimes, they feel a bit generic in personality. The Kaiju x Jaeger scenes are this movie's selling point, and ohThere's no way you can't love this movie. Being a fan of Gundam and the original Godzilla movies, seeing those two things together was like my dream becoming true. The plot is amazing with a major focus on the humans, the actors playing the characters are pretty good, but sometimes, they feel a bit generic in personality. The Kaiju x Jaeger scenes are this movie's selling point, and oh boy, it is amazing. The soundtrack is also amazing. I can't wait to see the sequel. 10/10 Expand
  77. Feb 1, 2014
    I'm not gonna go out and say that Pacific Rim was one of the best movies of all time, but it's definitely one of the boldest. Adopting a lot of elements from both anime and the Kaiju and mecha genres, Pacific Rim clearly knows its roots and pays homages to its roots and looks great doing it.
  78. Oct 8, 2014
    Don't have too much to say about this...maybe.

Don't have too much to say about this...maybe.

But this is one of my ALL TIME favorite movies. !!! I think I'll take a good look on Guillermo del Toro's other movies ( whatever else he directed or maybe was a writer too ) But this redefines a great CGI monster battle out blockbuster. Pacific Rim is loaded with fantastic visuals that will appeal to many fanboys and for many people who just wants a little dose of a monster verus metal clash in our great cities.

I first saw this in a Latino theater in Ecuador located somewhere in South America ( That is where I was born ) and I loved it!!! I then got lucky enough to See it AGAIN ...but this time in 3D! ( Yes, in a latino movie theater, don't worry I understand spanish quite well. )

The experince was again fantastic! Great monster verus giant robots fights! It was breath-taking. Another word I'll use to describe Transformers. (2007)! I have the movie on DVD, Blu-ray and Digital HD! Once I get my Blu-Ray DVD player, I'll shall watch this movie in the Blu ray version! LOVED this epic movie! Watch it please!!! HIGHLY FREAKING RECOMMEND!
  79. May 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is one of a kind for me, it surprised me beyond belief. Upon going to see it with my brother, i initially agreed to tagging along just to be nice and was planning on falling asleep. I couldn't have been more wrong. It has been the only film i have ever wanted to watch a second time, immediately after watching it the first time.

Critics and viewers may complain about the hilarious technological change, and how we couldn't possibly build moving robots as big as Jaegers., but who cares? The last thing I'm thinking about is how scientifically accurate the movie is. No it's not possible to build them but I for one have an imagination. There could never be an Island we don't know about with dinosaurs or ginormous gorillas on them, and we don't question them so why question these Jaegers of Kaijus?

The action and special affects we're outstanding and it had a top notch storyline that was original and interesting. I enjoyed the relationship build between all the characters and i found every second of it enjoyable. I would recommend not missing this film to anybody.
  80. May 20, 2015
    When I was younger, all I could hardly ever think about was robots. But when this movie came out in 2013, even though I was now 15 at the time, I knew it'd be nothing less than phenomenal. Went to see it in theaters with a friend and I couldn't believe how incredible this movie turned out. The acting was good, the plot was great, the characters were actually quite interesting (unlike theWhen I was younger, all I could hardly ever think about was robots. But when this movie came out in 2013, even though I was now 15 at the time, I knew it'd be nothing less than phenomenal. Went to see it in theaters with a friend and I couldn't believe how incredible this movie turned out. The acting was good, the plot was great, the characters were actually quite interesting (unlike the Transformers movies), and the visual effects were jaw-dropping! I recommend this movie to anyone. Even if you're not really into sci-fi or fantasy, I think Pacific Rim has a little bit of something for everybody in it. I couldn't have asked for better. Guillermo Del Toro is a genius! I can't wait for the sequel in April of 2017. I've been on the edge of my seat. I'm totally anticipating this sequel. Expand
  81. Jul 12, 2013
    My inner child exploded from glee watching this movie. It delivered on its premise in spades while still showing a surprising amount of heart. The battles are epic, the CGI is stunning, and the content between the fights drives the film better than I could ever have hoped for. This is the movie of the summer, no doubt.
  82. Jul 14, 2013
    Pacific Rim: It wasn't perfect but it was damn good. Pacific Rim doesn't try to be anything that it's not and that is why this movie is pretty awesome. It is Monster Movie, not a horror movie mind you, a MONSTER movie. Borrowing from Godzilla, Neon Genesis, and a several other films and stories, Pac Rim manages to create a believable world with characters that you actually care for by thePacific Rim: It wasn't perfect but it was damn good. Pacific Rim doesn't try to be anything that it's not and that is why this movie is pretty awesome. It is Monster Movie, not a horror movie mind you, a MONSTER movie. Borrowing from Godzilla, Neon Genesis, and a several other films and stories, Pac Rim manages to create a believable world with characters that you actually care for by the movies end. The characters were well thought out and the actors playing them knew their roles in this film. Now don't expect "Oscar award winning" performances, but they did their jobs well. One nice thing was that Pac Rim is a self contained story and, admirably, does not blatantly set itself up for a franchise. Pac Rim is not without it's faults but I went with zero expectations and left really enjoying the film. I would even venture to say it is one, if not THE, best sci fi flick out this year (and there have been several)! If you like Giant Monsters, Giant Robots, good sci fi with a healthy dose of apocalyptic threats, then go see it. You'll have a great time! Expand
  83. Jul 14, 2013
    This is probably the best revitalization of a monster movie since B&W Godzilla. The only thing I've come across as good was a South Korean movie The Host (2006). Which is probably like comparing District 9 to the Upcoming Film Elysium, because the scope and scale the Director and ILM achieved was phenomenal. It's PG-13 so it's a 'Family' movie but I'd expect some of the scenes to scareThis is probably the best revitalization of a monster movie since B&W Godzilla. The only thing I've come across as good was a South Korean movie The Host (2006). Which is probably like comparing District 9 to the Upcoming Film Elysium, because the scope and scale the Director and ILM achieved was phenomenal. It's PG-13 so it's a 'Family' movie but I'd expect some of the scenes to scare younger kids. The only thing I wished is that we could see more, but I think the length was appropriate for the debut. I hope they get to do a sequel and we get to see more of the robots. Expand
  84. Jul 26, 2013
    Absolutely one of my favorite movies of the summer. Probably the best big-budget robot-vs-godzilla (c'mon..you know that's what this is) movie that will ever be made. Every twist and device in the movie is a complete rip-off of something else, but it's so damned FUN that you can't help to like it...unless you are allergic to good times. As someone who enjoyed a little (ok...a lot of)Absolutely one of my favorite movies of the summer. Probably the best big-budget robot-vs-godzilla (c'mon..you know that's what this is) movie that will ever be made. Every twist and device in the movie is a complete rip-off of something else, but it's so damned FUN that you can't help to like it...unless you are allergic to good times. As someone who enjoyed a little (ok...a lot of) Voltron back in the day, the "sword" scene almost had me jumping out of my seat. If you like robots and giant monsters, you love this movie. If not, I am sure there is some Scandinavian neo-realist retrospective playing somewhere. Expand
  85. Jul 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Esta pelicula, es diferente a las muchas peliculas de robots, pasando por Real steal. Esta pelicula con tintes apocalípticos, retrata una invasión alien de esta forma un tanto diferente a lo que se había visto, a pesar de tener similitud a Evangelion; El director Guillermo del Toro ha dicho que el solo hizo una pelicula de monstruos y que retrata lo que viene haciendo en sus ultimas películas.
    Esta pelicula esta mas que recomendada.
  86. Jul 15, 2013
    One of the best "pop-corn movies" ever. This is the reason to go to a cinema. Spectacular in every way, but only and only if you are buying all this hugely ridiculous story. If you cringe at a first thought of "another monster/robot movie", you might just want to stay away or take a risk to see it, but you wouldn't get much else than amazing visuals, huge beautifully staged fights, greatOne of the best "pop-corn movies" ever. This is the reason to go to a cinema. Spectacular in every way, but only and only if you are buying all this hugely ridiculous story. If you cringe at a first thought of "another monster/robot movie", you might just want to stay away or take a risk to see it, but you wouldn't get much else than amazing visuals, huge beautifully staged fights, great detail in everything: environment, cities, robots, monsters (who are all different, btw). The main problem is characters, I must say, who are feeling generic in many ways. Not always do you feel compelled by them and care this much as you should've presumably. And nevertheless, this movie rocked so so much! I felt like 8 years old while watching this spectacle of a movie. But the main thing is that you just have to buy this stuff wholesale, otherwise you wont enjoy it a bit. Expand
  87. Jul 14, 2013
    A good, fun, visual feast; a concept we haven't seen in a long while on the big screen. Incredible movie all in all, one of the best movies so far this summer.
  88. Aug 5, 2013
    Absolutely loved this movie. Excellent special effects, amazing action, and true fun all throughout. Only issue was the plot was a bit pointless but it personally didn't bother me because who honestly goes to a movie like Pacific Rim and expects and Academy award winning story? Pacific Rim was just plain awesome. Giant monsters vs giant robots, what more can you ask for? Ever wanna see aAbsolutely loved this movie. Excellent special effects, amazing action, and true fun all throughout. Only issue was the plot was a bit pointless but it personally didn't bother me because who honestly goes to a movie like Pacific Rim and expects and Academy award winning story? Pacific Rim was just plain awesome. Giant monsters vs giant robots, what more can you ask for? Ever wanna see a barge (really large boat) be used as a weapon? GO SEE Pacific Rim! You're guaranteed a great time. Let's hope the studio's give the green light for the sequel Del Toro already has in mind! 9.5/10 Expand
  89. Aug 2, 2013
    Very creative, original plot with its share of surprises. The visuals and sounds are great, the acting is great. Everything is great. Hopefully, there's a sequel. Or at least a film in the same universe.
  90. Nov 25, 2013
    I loved this flick. Saw it with my daughter, who is in to all things anime, and she also loved it.

Saw it in an IMAX theater and that lead to my biggest complaint: all the rain in 3D made it hard to focus on the action once in a while. But since that is my biggest complaint, that should tell you what I think of the rest of the movie. Loved the Jaegers and Kaijus. Gipsy Danger

Loved the Jaegers and Kaijus. Gipsy Danger rocks!

The fact that this is (gasp!) and ORIGINAL universe gave Guillermo del Toro freedom to create as he wished, without the fear that the die hard fans would hate what he did. And create he did. If you get a chance watch the extras in the Blu-ray. I think you'll be surprised at how many small details are in the movie.

Idris Elba is one of my favorite up-and-coming actors. His work in The Wire was incredible, and it is good that Hollywood is giving him an opportunity. Charlie Hunnam was more than serviceable as the action hero and while I am not a fan of Rinko Kikuchi, she also played her role well.

I will not lie and say that there is anything extraordinarily NEW here. It is a story of humans v. monsters. But this minor film does BIG better than a lot of predecessors recently. The Transformers trilogy comes to mind immediately.

While it seems like a backhanded compliment, you need to enjoy this movie for what it is. It is nothing more than a rollercoaster ride and, as such, does the job VERY well.
  91. Nov 14, 2013
    A movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters. It's fun to watch (especially in IMAX 3D) and definitely not the Evangelion rip-off a lot of ignorant people might make it out to be.
  92. Jan 1, 2014
    I enjoyed this film very much. Everything from the acting to the CGI is brilliant and high quality. It's visual desert. Of course, like all these type of godzilla-esque films comes the Japanese themes. The Japanese have always enjoyed designing these types of films. Be it Godzilla, Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla vs Gomora, Godzilla vs Baragon and so on, but they lack resources to produceI enjoyed this film very much. Everything from the acting to the CGI is brilliant and high quality. It's visual desert. Of course, like all these type of godzilla-esque films comes the Japanese themes. The Japanese have always enjoyed designing these types of films. Be it Godzilla, Godzilla vs Mothra, Godzilla vs Gomora, Godzilla vs Baragon and so on, but they lack resources to produce proper visually attractive films. The makers of this film took the idea of robots fighting godzilla monsters and turned it into this beautiful film.

I have no other words to describe this. Just go and watch it.
  93. Oct 27, 2013
    Pacific Rim was surprisingly one of the best movies I've seen this year. I expected an entertaining action movie with mechs fighting monsters, but a movie void of any quality acting or plot. Boy was I wrong. While it was a very entertaining action movie with mechs fighting monsters, it had a very interesting storyline with solid plot development, granted a little brief. The acting was alsoPacific Rim was surprisingly one of the best movies I've seen this year. I expected an entertaining action movie with mechs fighting monsters, but a movie void of any quality acting or plot. Boy was I wrong. While it was a very entertaining action movie with mechs fighting monsters, it had a very interesting storyline with solid plot development, granted a little brief. The acting was also up to par and the character development was fantastic, giving life and depth to characters that seem at first to be a bit superficial. There were also some nice cameos by actors like Charlie Day and Ron Perlman, who though I don't like, had a cool role. Overall, this movie takes a substantial amount of suspended disbelief but I think most people who like cool action movies will really enjoy it. Expand
  94. Jul 14, 2013
    This movie was fantastic. I'd give this a better rating than any other movie this summer. Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, those were decent, but this movie, not once did it break my attention for dragging on or being uninteresting. Sure there are times when you think it's unrealistic for other universes and a tanker ship to be used as a sword and not fall apart. But it's a FUN awesome movieThis movie was fantastic. I'd give this a better rating than any other movie this summer. Iron Man 3, Man of Steel, those were decent, but this movie, not once did it break my attention for dragging on or being uninteresting. Sure there are times when you think it's unrealistic for other universes and a tanker ship to be used as a sword and not fall apart. But it's a FUN awesome movie where you stop caring and are along for the ride. It reminded me of Transformers, meets Never Back Down, meets Cloverfield. It was an absolute thrill to watch and I can't wait to go see it again. By the way... this is some of the best 3D I've seen (especially since it was post converted). If you get the chance, go see it! Expand
  95. Jul 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When i first saw ads for this film, I did not expect much, but I watched it regardless, mainly because robots. But when i saw it, i was pleasantly surprised. it was actually a pretty good film, it had a good story line, amazing visuals, and good action scenes. i really only had one complaint though, there is very little character development. Ok, maybe I've been spoiled by evangelion, but there really isn't much. i mean, with some of the characters you meet them, you see their robot, their dead. you never really get to learn much about them, but besides that this was a very good film i believe is worth watching. Expand
  96. Dec 3, 2013
    "Pacific Rim" has perhaps some of the greatest action I have ever seen. The use of 3-D is fantastic, the CGI and visuals were stunning, the acting is brilliant and both the story and script are intelligently crafted. This truly is a intense, epic, visually-stunning spectacle.
  97. Jul 15, 2013
    No esperen ver un clásico, sino una película entretenida de principio a fin con muchos guiños a Macross, Personajes secundarios carismaticos y mounstros grandes... muy grandes!!
  98. Jul 13, 2013
    To the "0" review titled "Fantasy" No duh. It's a fantasy/sci-fi flick and wears it proudly and does not laugh off the peril the world faces. Yes, it has some "borrowings" from Godzilla, but I don't see independence day. I think del Toro has been explicit about his influences. I saw this movie in Imax 3D and I was blown away. Was it a plot worthy of Shakespeare? No. But the plotTo the "0" review titled "Fantasy" No duh. It's a fantasy/sci-fi flick and wears it proudly and does not laugh off the peril the world faces. Yes, it has some "borrowings" from Godzilla, but I don't see independence day. I think del Toro has been explicit about his influences. I saw this movie in Imax 3D and I was blown away. Was it a plot worthy of Shakespeare? No. But the plot was solid even if some of the physics were improbable (they would need more helicopters to lift their Jaegers). Did I enjoy the movie? All four of the friends I went with and I LOVED the movie. It was very entertaining and did have a very unique, appealing visual style. I have to admit I'm a del Toro fan and have like everything he's done (too bad that couldn't have included the Hobbit). Expand
  99. Jul 29, 2013
    It's important to note that while I very much enjoyed Pacific Rim, I was coming in from a biased perspective of enjoying shows such as Gundam Wing and old Godzilla films from quite a young age. As long as you come in knowing what to expect from this kind of film, it's really very good. CGI was great and the fight scene choreography was fantastic, although some of the camera-work wasIt's important to note that while I very much enjoyed Pacific Rim, I was coming in from a biased perspective of enjoying shows such as Gundam Wing and old Godzilla films from quite a young age. As long as you come in knowing what to expect from this kind of film, it's really very good. CGI was great and the fight scene choreography was fantastic, although some of the camera-work was awkward and it was hard to tell what was going on in combat sometimes. There could've been more variation in setting as well.

I found the designs of the jaegers (mechs) and kaiju (monsters) interesting and successful, creating a very specific appearance and silhouette for each individual combatant on the battlefield, which helped give each one a sense of identity in often difficult viewing conditions.

The plot and characters certainly aren't going to win too many awards but most of the acting was fairly sound, and I particularly enjoyed Idris Elba's performance in this film; although his character was nothing terribly original, it was well-delivered. Also, although I initially found them somewhat contrived and grating, on second viewing the scientist characters (Charlie Day and Burn Gorman) did provide something of a welcome break from all the action and grimness of the film and added something of an extra dimension to the film on top of all the fighting.

I thought they could've done more with Charlie Hunnam and Rinko Kikuchi's character interaction, but you shouldn't come into this film expecting massive character development. You should come in for an all-action summer blockbuster and in this regard Pacific Rim mostly delivers. It also cleverly ties up most of its loose ends while still leaving some possibility of a sequel. Remarkably few plot-holes too, though there were a couple here and there all in all pretty tight writing and production, and you could tell this was a Guillermo del Toro passion-project.

To sum up: best action film I've seen for some time, and the first one in a while that's made me leave with a real sense of 'awesome'. I could probably watch this film half a dozen times and not get bored of it, and that speaks volumes.
  100. Jul 17, 2013
    As a massive Del Torro fan, and a huge Mange, Anime and Mecha fan this film was everything I wanted it to be.

It made me feel like a child again, it made me feel the same way Jurassic Park made me feel when I was 5 years time, I was in awe. People will of course compare this brilliantly designed and thought of almost Film Noir epic to the atrocity that is is Michael Bay's orange backdrop and explosion fest that is the Transformer series, but this film is everything Bay could only dream of making and so much more. The Jeagers had a real sense of proportion, much like the classic PS2 game Shadow of the Colossus you really felt how big they were and when the [spoiler] Kaiju unfurled its wings my jaw actually dropped.

It wasn't a perfect film, but it was everything I hoped for and so much more!

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Jul 15, 2013
    It is possible to applaud Pacific Rim for the efficacy of its business model while deploring the tale that has been engendered — long, loud, dark, and very wet. You might as well watch the birth of an elephant.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Jul 12, 2013
    The Kaijus make zombies look like wusses, so at least the fights in this film are battles royal. But overload sets in early, and it all turns into battle boring.
    Pacific Rim made me marvel at the technology of movies, but never the magic of them.