Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: July 12, 2013
Generally favorable reviews based on 1562 Ratings
1,190
Watch Now
phildogJul 13, 2013
Rarely does a movie get everything right. The story is interesting and playful. The characters are dynamic, and fun, and a little silly at times, but fleshed out enough to be believable people you can empathize, respect, and in one case fearRarely does a movie get everything right. The story is interesting and playful. The characters are dynamic, and fun, and a little silly at times, but fleshed out enough to be believable people you can empathize, respect, and in one case fear a little. However, the best part is that this film understand and get's what it its. It isn't afraid to admit what it is, and how essentially ridiculous the premise is, so unlike most movies it doesn't waste most of it's time trying to explain how it isn't what it really is, and dedicates it's resources to amazing fights and great character moments. Half of this film is just straight up monster battles. I'm giving this a 10/10 not because I think it is one of the best movies ever made or anything like that, but because I honestly can't think of a single way to improve this movie. Expand
ludd_gangJul 16, 2013
Kaiju fans will love this. Full of genre tropes and homages, but delivered in a unique mix. More humanity than most, with a clever plot device called "the drift". Clearly a labor of love. Great wall metaphor too.
Lambo442Jul 15, 2013
It's not often we get a treat like this. A solid story laid the foundation for one of the coolest, most thrilling movie experiences I've had in a long whole. The action set pieces are on such a scale and really get your blood pumping. TheIt's not often we get a treat like this. A solid story laid the foundation for one of the coolest, most thrilling movie experiences I've had in a long whole. The action set pieces are on such a scale and really get your blood pumping. The brawls look fantastic and really brutal. Watching colossal aliens being punched repeatedly in the face by these metal beasts is just amazing, But it's not all about the action. The characters are given a lot of attention too. They're by no means 2D and they all have backstories and their own motivations. A masterpiece really. Expand
outlawvenomJul 28, 2013
For an action movie, this is perfect. That's the reason for a score of 10. Awesome effects, cliche but enjoyable characters and lines, predictable plot. Still an absolute pleasure to watch. From an mech-anime fan, it's like a dream come true,For an action movie, this is perfect. That's the reason for a score of 10. Awesome effects, cliche but enjoyable characters and lines, predictable plot. Still an absolute pleasure to watch. From an mech-anime fan, it's like a dream come true, particularly if your a fan of the Evangelion franchise. Expand
DeathSpankJul 20, 2013
This is a dream come true for everyone who grew up watching the classic Kaiju Mecha genre. Predictable but wonderfully executed by Del Toro. The characters, action, story all scream of nostalgia.
MisterMolluskJul 29, 2013
This isn't Shakespeare by any means. It is, however, the most entertaining movie I've seen in a long time. If you enjoy movies that are kinda dumb yet super awesome (Terminator, Predator, Alien, etc), you will like this movie.
XonAug 16, 2013
Absolutely amazing. Delivers what it promised. Perhaps there isn't such a big audience for this kind of movie to validade the budget, but the film-makers squeezed every bit of brilliance out of everything and everyone that went into thisAbsolutely amazing. Delivers what it promised. Perhaps there isn't such a big audience for this kind of movie to validade the budget, but the film-makers squeezed every bit of brilliance out of everything and everyone that went into this film. You have to be really cynical not to like this film. For me its like a modern fairy tale. Expand
Mad_Hatter91Jul 23, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pacific Rim is a 2013 science fiction film directed by Guillermo del Toro with Charlie Hunnam, Rinko Kikuchi and Rob Perlman.
In a future world the earth was attacked by the giant alien monsters called Kaiju, emerged on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean through an interdimensional portal. Because, to destroy one of those monsters many lives are sacrificed, it was decided to build giant robots called Jaegers controlled by two pilots. Initially, the robots are able to get the better of the monsters, but the latter seem to adapt to new weapons and that pushes humanity to the brink of disaster. The last remaining Jaegers are taken in Hong Kong and the former pilot Jaeger, Raleigh Becket (Charlie Hunnam) is persuaded to return to the team he left after losing his brother, also a pilot, clashing against a Kaiju. Here begins the last attack to save humanity.
Although it seems not to follow the rules of the director, Pacific Rim is a product of Del Toro and we can see it in the prologue, which serves to immerggerci in the world we are told the story and also in the memories of Mako (Rinko Kikuchi) a lot well done.
The film is inspired by the anime of the 70s and also to those of today (especially Neo Genesis Evangelion).
The plot is not very original but it is by no means trivial or obvious. The photography of the film is well done as well as special effects (featuring beautiful as are the Kaiju and Jaegers).
The fight scenes between the giants are well made and it is clear that they were made in anime style (such as special moves of Jaegers).
The film also manages to entertain with humor and never forced anything vulgar or exaggerated.
It will not be a masterpiece but Guillermo was able to create a great film
Nilkad_NaquadaJul 20, 2013
This is easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's everything an action movie should be and then some. Anyone coming to the theater looking for badass fights between giant robots and giant monsters will be utterly satisfied by some ofThis is easily one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's everything an action movie should be and then some. Anyone coming to the theater looking for badass fights between giant robots and giant monsters will be utterly satisfied by some of the best fight scenes I have ever seen in all of cinema, as it keeps throwing new things at you and every single one goes over extremely well. The special effects and visual design are simply masterful; the Jaegers look exactly how a giant robotic mech suit should, their interfaces look suitably futuristic and cool, while on the other end the Kaiju look suitably otherworldly, but with enough grounding to not look out of place in our world. On the story end of things, you have a surprisingly intricate tale of multiple characters who each have personal struggles relating to the Kaiju invasion and subsequent advent of Jaegers, as well as even minor characters generally being at worst interesting and entertaining and at best well-developed and multidimensional. It's also simply astounding just how well this movie built its world, with every environment feeling exactly how it should and fitting into the rest of the setting very impressively. Certain flashback scenes which I won't spoil were simply a joy to watch, masterful displays of cinematography at its absolute best, and the rest of the movie isn't far behind them. I honestly can't think of any legitimate complaints about this movie, beyond petty gripes not worth mentioning. It's simply worth watching, no matter who you are. Expand
EludiumQ36Feb 21, 2014
Wow, just wow. I give a 10 rating once every 5 yrs or so and this rates that big time! This film is Transformers vs Godzillas on steroids, amped up to the max. The intensity is phenomenal, you'll wish the entire film was just mega-sized fightWow, just wow. I give a 10 rating once every 5 yrs or so and this rates that big time! This film is Transformers vs Godzillas on steroids, amped up to the max. The intensity is phenomenal, you'll wish the entire film was just mega-sized fight scenes.Yes, you can criticize this and that about the story, plot, etc but you'll be missing the entire point of the film. Enjoy this for what it is, and it's the best at what it does. Expand
faridikJul 18, 2013
What can be said? There are plenty of audience pointed blockbusters. Good ones, bad ones. Popcorn flips, But only in unique cases there are MASTERPIECEs. Like Avengers, Tron, Star Trek. As well there are some breakthrough ideas occur in everyWhat can be said? There are plenty of audience pointed blockbusters. Good ones, bad ones. Popcorn flips, But only in unique cases there are MASTERPIECEs. Like Avengers, Tron, Star Trek. As well there are some breakthrough ideas occur in every summer. Like Inception, Dark Knight, Ted or something like that. Anyway.
PACIFIC RIM is all of it combined and multiplied at least five times. One of the greates and most underestimated director of our time Guillermo Del Toro has done one of the most incredible sci-fi movies in late 100 years. It is not Space Odyssey by Kubrick, Not a War of Worlds by Spielberg, or Nolan's Inception and anything else. It is an alien invasion on high profile. It is a hidden dangerous, comes from the abyss of our world. It is science, why two pilots? You will know and will be shocked. Why Kaiju? Keep calm and just watch.
Does it cost 2 hours? Yes it does. It has everything from humor to drama, from love to honor. Visually Spectacular. Joyfully directed, perfectly performed characters by Idris Elba, Charlie Hunnam and ROn Pearlman. So Amazing storyline and visual show. great score. You will not have an opportunity to get some popcorn, cause you will not be able to taker your eyes away from it.
MovieFan123Jul 20, 2013
"Do you want to sit here or go out there and do something really stupid" Pacific Rim is a gigantic monster brawl. But not like Godzilla versus Mechagodzilla. It has awesome special effects, great acting and a amazing story. Something that"Do you want to sit here or go out there and do something really stupid" Pacific Rim is a gigantic monster brawl. But not like Godzilla versus Mechagodzilla. It has awesome special effects, great acting and a amazing story. Something that you would usually get in a movie like Argo or Lincoln. But this movie delivers all that. Don't be turned off by the genre and even though it's in third place in the box office it is easily better than Grown ups 2 in critical reception and it may be better than Despicable Me 2 for older kids. So really it should be number 1. Also if you think it may be scary for little kids that's not true. There only gore that comes from the monster and one or two curses. Maybe not for 4-8 years olds but anyone older will probably be alright. So anyway this films boasts amazing visuals, great acting and a great story. I wouldn't be surprised if it won an Oscar for best visuals. This is a definite must see. Expand
gordofreditoJul 25, 2013
as someone who grew up with Transformers and was heavily disappointed with Michael Bay's movies, and I also grew up with Godzilla, well this movie was just made for me and people of similar generations.
Surprising that in the US they didn't
Surprising that in the US they didn't like it, guess Mechs and Kaijus weren't as big in there back in the 80/90s.

Although, yes, the movie has obvious cliches and one scene that simply showed the hand going through the building that wasn't cool nor funny, but when you grow up to that kind of things, seeing a tribute to your childhood heroes is always fun
flavioxivAug 13, 2013
If you like SCI FI, if you like anime, if you're into action movies, this is the BEST MOVIE EVER, it sure was for me, no regrets in watching it, kept me on the edge of the seat the whole time, i'm planning on seeing it a couple more time onIf you like SCI FI, if you like anime, if you're into action movies, this is the BEST MOVIE EVER, it sure was for me, no regrets in watching it, kept me on the edge of the seat the whole time, i'm planning on seeing it a couple more time on theaters while i still can. Expand
ZacOfTheZombiesJul 14, 2013
Pacific Rim gushes with love with every single scene Robot designs, one liners, the simplistic plot make for a non-cluttered enjoyable expirience for everyone involved.

Not needed, but I personally recommmend seeing this film in 3D.

Not needed, but I personally recommmend seeing this film in 3D. Having all the battles and characters on different grounds makes everything seem very real and makes all the action easy to see.
MstangoJul 17, 2013
Easily the best movie of the year so far, amazing special effects, solid writing great characterization. It's pretty much Evangelion, if Evangelion wasn't awful. See it, see it again, you will not regret it.
marzapowerDec 2, 2013
Perfect plot, best Bluray release ever, with 10+ 3D video and 10+ lossless DTS HD-MA audio track.

You must have this movie if you loved at least one of these movies/characters:
Godzilla
Mazinger
Power Rangers
Jurassic Park
Gamera
ChampionaaronJul 14, 2013
Listen, this is THE popcorn SUMMER ACTION movie. This is BETTER than any other films in it's genera. I'll keep it simple. If you want to be pulled into the ride of your life, and be hit in the face with total badassness then go see this film.Listen, this is THE popcorn SUMMER ACTION movie. This is BETTER than any other films in it's genera. I'll keep it simple. If you want to be pulled into the ride of your life, and be hit in the face with total badassness then go see this film. Ignore anything else you hear. It's a fun, action packed, insane ride. Expand
dani_soadJul 14, 2013
phenomenal...great movie, very powerful...exclusive director Guillermo del Toro, one of my favorite... spectacle for the eyes and ears. Epic from start to finish
Twist-RaidJul 20, 2013
Great fun, amazing designs. The Jaegers especially were pure joy to watch. There's no lulling dip dragging out mankind's first contact, or over the top drama, just monsters versus robots. Absolutely brilliant.
NIntendoFan94Oct 22, 2013
It was action packed robot flick! Future Perfect for any Robot movie like never before. Pacific Rim still the best summer movie of all time since The Avengers. Very Flawless!
Tommygun329Jul 16, 2013
In short, see it. You won't regret it, stop wasting your time looking at this and look at the movie!
Anyways, this movie does everything I can think of right. The action is amazing with the best special effects I have ever seen. There isn't as much as you might expect but it certainly makes up for that in quality. The story is good, not really anything special, but it certainly surprised me that the story wasn't just an excuse to watch monsters and robots fight. It also struck me how plausible things seems. At no point does it step outside of the bounds of reason in any ways that's distracting. In fact it's hard to think of anything that couldn't actually work. By making the Jaegers piloted by two people was a nice way to blend the action with the plot that was surprisingly good. I went into the movie with high expectations because of what I heard about it, and what I got shattered my already high expectations.
DrChocolateJul 13, 2013
Pacific Rim was glorious. It was Power Rangers vs Godzilla. Giant crabs attacking Japan, pterodactyls lifting giant mechs into the sky, attacks moves being shouted at the screen-- stupendous! The film does not take itself seriously and playsPacific Rim was glorious. It was Power Rangers vs Godzilla. Giant crabs attacking Japan, pterodactyls lifting giant mechs into the sky, attacks moves being shouted at the screen-- stupendous! The film does not take itself seriously and plays out like a live-action anime, specifically like the 70s and 80s mech anime I grew up with. If you remember Voltron, Patlabor, Power Rangers, and even the original Godzilla films, you cannot miss this. Highly recommended! Expand
JohnnyCJul 12, 2013
An epic, gloriously goofy summer film for lovers of giant monsters and robots. Guillermo del Toro must have had a blast making this film, and it shows. Beautiful visuals, offbeat characters, and awesome battles. The dialogue is corny andAn epic, gloriously goofy summer film for lovers of giant monsters and robots. Guillermo del Toro must have had a blast making this film, and it shows. Beautiful visuals, offbeat characters, and awesome battles. The dialogue is corny and cliched, but thats part of the fun. Great casting also, everyone fits perfectly into there parts. Those that are fans of Anime will have a lot of fun picking out the numerous references to various past works, there is even a couple nods to Star Wars. Expand
HellcatensteinJul 16, 2013
This is a movie whose parts would never work by themselves, but when mixed together make the whole experience AWESOME. I could poke holes in the plot, characters and logic of the movie all day long(easily, in fact), and it wouldn't change myThis is a movie whose parts would never work by themselves, but when mixed together make the whole experience AWESOME. I could poke holes in the plot, characters and logic of the movie all day long(easily, in fact), and it wouldn't change my opinion at all. It was like watching Robotech and Godzilla for the first time when I was a kid.

No, it wouldn't win Best Picture, and it's not deep and thought-provoking. Just listen to del Toro talk about the movie. You can tell that was NOT the type of movie he wanted to make. He wanted to make a fun movie about robots fighting giant monsters, because he loves those kinds of movies. And that's exactly what he did. And that's why you should go watch it.
DeltaBlackWaterDec 30, 2013
think this is the last time i'll ever listen to bad reviews. this movie is great! and definitely a nice watch on Blu-ray. it had everything i wanted, and took me back in memory of a game with mech warriors from sega. i'll actually be buying this.
derfskyJul 12, 2013
Wow, what an incredible movie. I enjoyed the effects more than those in Avatar and the movie has the best 3D effects I've ever seen. There were a few moments where I was on the edge of my seat and the fighters made moves that just flooredWow, what an incredible movie. I enjoyed the effects more than those in Avatar and the movie has the best 3D effects I've ever seen. There were a few moments where I was on the edge of my seat and the fighters made moves that just floored me--really great action sequences that will awe you. So cool Expand
JoeB666Jul 13, 2013
Disclaimer: I loved this movie. I watched it twice, back-to-back, in 3D.

Disclaimer: I loved this movie. I watched it twice, back-to-back, in 3D.

I loved the action and the spectacle. The battles, despite the one absurdity of giant robots fighting alien invaders had sense of realism that was rather unnerving. Everything but that (minor detail) was eerily plausible. I also liked the other messages found throughout. Mostly, though, I loved how it all came together as a kind of celebration of the value science and technology when coupled with human courage, ingenuity, innovation, self-sacrifice, individualism (when appropriate), and cooperation (when appropriate).

It's the many minor messages within the movie that made it stand out from mindless summer action movie fare (which are fine, on occasion).

First, what I like the most: I liked abiding theme of science and technology being tools for human salvation. There are literally no scenes without some object of human ingenuity in view. The giant robots are man-machine saviours that aid humanity in fighting against grotesque organic monsters.

(As an aside: I like nature. I was raised in a rural area, and I enjoyed camping. But make no mistake, nature can be brutal, and it is only human scientific, technological, social, and other developments that can keep the monster at bay. If you doubt me, try surviving alone and without man-made equipment for a week in virtually any natural environment. You may not be dead, but you'll almost wish you were. Where I live (just outside a city of 1 million), you’d be dead in less than 5 hours without winter clothing, six months a year. Nature can be subservient to us, but it must never again be our master. Precambrian humans had an average life expectancy of 31 years. Also, like the monsters in this movie, any number larger wild animals would kill a human without a second thought. A bear will rip a child to shreds. Wolves (prior to their gradual domestication by killing the more violent ones over the centuries), were a particularly large threat in Europe. An elephant will gore a grown man. And so on. **It is solely our scientific, technological, and social advancements made possible by an appropriate mix of individual initiative and group cooperation that keep the nightmare at bay.** The movie Pacific Rim acknowledges this. Unlike the technological luddism of, for example, the Terminator movies or Avatar [which both partially denigrate technology and science], this movie celebrates human achievement and progress. And movies could use more of that.)

I liked that movie (unlike almost all American blockbusters) takes place in several locations, none of which are large American cities. The United States comprises about 5% of the global population, and it’s nice to see that represented in an American blockbuster. And how many times do you really want to see New York destroyed, for instance?

I appreciated the message that both cooperation and individual initiative are prudent and necessary. The fight against (for instance, there are several instances of insubordination and deviations from military procedure, but they mostly involve serving the greater good).

I liked the love story component. The lead man was not a handsome male Brad Pitt lookalike, and the female love interest was not the typical American supermodel of action flicks. Rather, she was an English-speaking Chinese national who models the very best traits of many females from that culture. She is polite and respectful, yet stands up for her beliefs non-confrontationally, and she is obviously intelligent. She is "equal but different" from the main male protagonist.

I appreciated the cursory mention of the cause for the alien invasion: global environmental degradation, the (spoiler) reason for the alien invasion.

Although there is much "apocalyptic porn" (hey, I like it too), the body count is actually quite low. While we see entire skyscrapers destroyed, because civilians are evacuated in shelters, the number of civilian casualties is less than 100. (Contrast that with "Man of Steel", which had a casualty count of six or seven figures).

It was nice to see scientists portrayed are heroes. The two scientist characters literally risk their lives to test a theory and gain evidence that is crucial to a positive outcome. This world needs more scientists and technologists. Even the characters' stereotypical eccentricity is endearing: they have their foibles, but they are each aware of it. Sometimes, human foibles are unavoidable, and condemning people for (relatively) harmless quirks that they cannot change serves no purpose.

I did like that movie avoids many Hollywood clichés (for the above reasons).

If I had one complaint, it's that the movie is too short. It's 2 hours and 10 minutes. However, there is less action than I would have liked. It's not that there is too much "non-action" content. It's just that another 30 minutes or so of giant robot battles would have been swell.

In short: see it.
LegionPichonJul 15, 2013
I loved this movie for what it is, a magificent tribute to the Mecha and Kaiju generes. The fights are simply amazing and the visual effects are top notch. Del Toro makes this colosual Mechas come alive in a way that I've never seen before.I loved this movie for what it is, a magificent tribute to the Mecha and Kaiju generes. The fights are simply amazing and the visual effects are top notch. Del Toro makes this colosual Mechas come alive in a way that I've never seen before. Of course it has many cliches but it's a Robot vs Monster movie, what did you expect? The character do feel generic but IMHO they fit in a perfect way. If this movie would had been released in the 90s it would have marked my childhood.

If you are a fan of Mecha anime or shows this is a must see.
ClearWEAPONXJul 13, 2013
To all those critics that they don't have the slight imagination in their heads ,disconnect for the harsh stuff that is happening in the world and put your self in the fantasy world of a movie like this and really by heart enjoy it you can'tTo all those critics that they don't have the slight imagination in their heads ,disconnect for the harsh stuff that is happening in the world and put your self in the fantasy world of a movie like this and really by heart enjoy it you can't call your selfs critic ,the movie it's awesome refreshing it brings me back to those days of mazinger z robotec or even gundan, if you don't take your mine to that era,your not going to enjoy the movie, for me it bring back my inner child and for the entire movie my mind was running wild remembering waking up rushing to see those cartoons or just walking in the street thinking that i was a giant robot and that the ants where the people lol to resume this ,great job del toro. Expand