6.5

1. May 25, 2013
    PAIN & GAIN
    "Pain & Gain" is true story of a gang of bodybuilders who kidnap a wealthy businessman in order to take all of his money and assets. It stars Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Anthony Mackie and Tony Shaloub.
    PAIN & GAIN

Although the previews for this movie make it appear to be a fun and action packed comedy, I found it to be highly disturbing, anti-climactic, and frustrating. The fact that this film was based on a true story is disheartening, mainly from knowing the fact that people can be so stupid in real life.

The film started out pretty good, but as it progressed, it became more and more sickening and to be completely honest, I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Everyone in the film did a good job and Tony Shaloub was, in my opinion, the best thing about it. Unfortunately, good acting can't make up for a story like this one. The cinematography was strange with odd camera angles and shaky shots that made it difficult to see what was taking place at times.

I can't think of anyone to whom I would recommend this movie. I think maybe if you liked "Very Bad Things", you might like it (might).

My grade for this film: D

To view my grading scale, go to: facebook.com/CriticWes
    To view my movie blog, go to: http://www.mix93.com/pages/16393587.php?
  2. Apr 29, 2013
    They had no likable characters in the film. The Rock was the comical relief as a born again christian. (not funny) It was like watching Dateline Murder Mystery where they were trying to make you route for the criminals. Yeah its a crazy true story, but should have never been made into a movie.
  3. May 5, 2013
    Deservedly belongs on all worst movies of the year list! Guess it will appeal to all those who think crackheads/body dismemberment/homophobic/chauvinistic actions and attitudes are sources for humor but being offensive is hardly being "comedic." Went with high expectations knowing the cast; still angry the morning after that I spent $30.00 on this trash!
  4. Jun 1, 2013
    I went to the movies hoping to have a fun, casual experience with some friends. I really had no idea what this movie was about, other than it was a comedy about some body builders. I discovered pretty quickly that this movie was pure trash. The majority of the "humor" in the movie was made at the expense of Christians and Jesus Christ. I left shortly after the Jesus bashing commenced,I went to the movies hoping to have a fun, casual experience with some friends. I really had no idea what this movie was about, other than it was a comedy about some body builders. I discovered pretty quickly that this movie was pure trash. The majority of the "humor" in the movie was made at the expense of Christians and Jesus Christ. I left shortly after the Jesus bashing commenced, thoroughly disgusted. It's pretty shameful what the world is coming to, and what is now considered humor.
    Anti-christian humor aside, the other aspects of the movie were mind numbingly dull and boring. Watching this movie was about the equivalent of having a lobotomy. You may, however, enjoy this movie if your IQ is in the single digits, or if you are incredibly high while viewing it.
  5. Aug 21, 2013
    I really don't know where they were going with this movie. It was a terrible mixture of action, comedy, and drama that just did not work well together. The fact that the actors put far too much effort into their characters really ruined the like-ability of them. If Pain & Gain was intended to be a comedy then they really missed the mark on this one because it was not funny...at all. It wasI really don't know where they were going with this movie. It was a terrible mixture of action, comedy, and drama that just did not work well together. The fact that the actors put far too much effort into their characters really ruined the like-ability of them. If Pain & Gain was intended to be a comedy then they really missed the mark on this one because it was not funny...at all. It was just really, really stupid, The kind of stupid where you laugh because you can not believe someone actually thought that was a good idea to put into a film. Not to mention the run time, 2 hours long, was absolutely brutal to sit through.

Overall, Don't even bother. Pain & Gain is a confusing mess that seems to drag on and on with no end in sight.
  6. Oct 13, 2013
    I didn't know if this movie was meant to be a comedy or not. But, I didn't find it funny. The beginning was the highlight of the movie, but half way through the movie. It fell apart.
  7. Apr 27, 2013
    I went in ready to forgive and forget about Michael Bay's previous track record. But this thing has so many annoying slo-mo shots, so many close ups, it was just impossible to not get annoyed. The movie moves at a incredibly slow pace and every character except the Rock is an a-hole. This kind of movie has been done before. And done much, much better.
  8. Sep 10, 2013
    Best thing I can say about this movie is that I've see worse. There's a couple of funny moments in it but for the most part it's just a bit of a mess. There're a lot of seemingly major events that just kinda happen without any point or purpose. There's not a lot of depth to any of the characters either, though that's more the fault of the writing than the actors themselves. The whole thingBest thing I can say about this movie is that I've see worse. There's a couple of funny moments in it but for the most part it's just a bit of a mess. There're a lot of seemingly major events that just kinda happen without any point or purpose. There's not a lot of depth to any of the characters either, though that's more the fault of the writing than the actors themselves. The whole thing just seems very erratic and aimless. At the end of this film you'll be sat wondering what the hell just happened, go home wondering what the point was to the film you just watched and ponder over what else you could've done with that two hours (although it'll seem like you've been in the cinema for way longer). Collapse
  9. Jan 24, 2015
    Pain & Gain is easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my entire life. The characters are all despicable, the plot is boring and the acting is mediocre at best. I literally spent every five minutes in the last half of this movie pausing to check how much time I had left. How they got so many legitimate actors to actually lower themselves to this level is the most astonishing thingPain & Gain is easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen in my entire life. The characters are all despicable, the plot is boring and the acting is mediocre at best. I literally spent every five minutes in the last half of this movie pausing to check how much time I had left. How they got so many legitimate actors to actually lower themselves to this level is the most astonishing thing to me. Honestly, not even the stunning Bar Paly could make this movie worthwhile. Learn from me... don't waste your time. Expand
  10. Jun 14, 2013
    Was ready for it to be over halfway through. The characters get annoying quickly and it feels like the movie is stuck in the mud early on. The stab at humor is ridiculously lacking. Michael Bay being Michael Bay, basically.
  11. Aug 14, 2013
    What a terribly painful movie. With every passing minute you feel like your brain is dying a little bit more.
    The biggest problem is probably that the movie tries so hard to be edgy that it passes by every chance of reflection which would have been necessary to make it watchable. If it wasn't for the pinches of humor mixed in by Dwayne Johnson's character this would be a 0.
    Unaesthetic,
    Unaesthetic, predictable, disgustingly misogynist and, worst of all, seriously dumb.
  12. May 18, 2014
    pain & gain is a comedy by Michael Bay about a murder case (based on a true story) where the killers are our protagonist that we are suppose to root for, while the victim is a rich jerk who is mean to everyone and deserves to be kidnapped, and robbed. And since this incident took place fairly recently, the (real) family members of the victims get to watch as their loved ones be portrayedpain & gain is a comedy by Michael Bay about a murder case (based on a true story) where the killers are our protagonist that we are suppose to root for, while the victim is a rich jerk who is mean to everyone and deserves to be kidnapped, and robbed. And since this incident took place fairly recently, the (real) family members of the victims get to watch as their loved ones be portrayed in a bad light; as if killing them wasn't a bad enough. What kind of sick, twisted person makes a movie to poke fun at a horrible event in an attempt to make everyone laugh at it by turning it into a comedy. Now I understand that laughter can be a great cure for sadness, but you don't do it by trying to justify what the murderers did by orchestrating events that didn't happen in an attempt to make them likable in a film that's suppose to be based on a true story. I can't even imagine how the family members of the victims must feel to have someone close to them die then have a movie made to basically tell them that they deserved to die in a comedy. Let's not forget the survivors who have to watch themselves be degraded in the movie after what they went through. They even make the deaths accidental to help yo to sympathize with the murderers. The movie not even funny. Sure there are a few chuckles here and there, but the film really isn't funny. The humor basically revolves around either racial jokes or sex jokes (mainly gay-sex jokes) which come off as being either stupid or offensive (sometimes both). Expand
  13. Mar 15, 2014
    Desolante e vuota thriller/commedia amara filmata Michael Bay. Al di là della sciatteria della messa in scena e della regia anche il film non diverte mai e dopo i primi 30 minuti già mi ero pentio di averlo iniziato a guardare. Michael Bay non ne azzecca mai una, tutti i suoi film sono scialbi e noiosi, ma forse, nell'era in cui si dice che Kubrick è noioso, ci meritiamo registi di questoDesolante e vuota thriller/commedia amara filmata Michael Bay. Al di là della sciatteria della messa in scena e della regia anche il film non diverte mai e dopo i primi 30 minuti già mi ero pentio di averlo iniziato a guardare. Michael Bay non ne azzecca mai una, tutti i suoi film sono scialbi e noiosi, ma forse, nell'era in cui si dice che Kubrick è noioso, ci meritiamo registi di questo calibro. Expand
  14. Jan 9, 2015
    Unbearably bad and a sad payday for actors like Ed Harris, even Johnson. This lousy movie proves beyond any doubt that Michael Bay is still a 14-year-old who couldn't make a film for adults if his life depended on it.
    You know they really screwed up when the actual true crime story is 10 times better as told on an episode of Dateline NBC than here with 1000 times more money behind it.
  15. Apr 22, 2015
    Michael Bay is spinning his new dark comedy Pain & Gain as a lower-budget personal project, a character piece that allows him to satisfy his fanciful muse before returning to less spiritually fulfilling endeavors. But don’t expect Sundance fodder from the man who previously blessed the world with Pearl Harbor, Armageddon, and other clattering cinematic migraines. Bay’s idea of “small” andMichael Bay is spinning his new dark comedy Pain & Gain as a lower-budget personal project, a character piece that allows him to satisfy his fanciful muse before returning to less spiritually fulfilling endeavors. But don’t expect Sundance fodder from the man who previously blessed the world with Pearl Harbor, Armageddon, and other clattering cinematic migraines. Bay’s idea of “small” and “personal” is making a film not about giant robots—the stars of his Transformers trilogy—but manly men with the physiques and dimensions of giant robots. Set in sun-baked, steroid-addled ’90s Florida, Pain & Gain buffs up an ostensibly true story of greed and ruthless ambition into a comic-book macho fantasy of upward mobility gone awry. Any pretensions of satire, moral ambiguity, or social commentary get lost in a hurricane of empty, mindless spectacle.

Mark Wahlberg’s epic winning streak ends with the thankless lead role of a hotshot, morally slippery personal trainer who decides to take control of his life and his finances by kidnapping, torturing, and then seizing the assets of a rich, gaudy Jewish businessman (Tony Shalhoub). Often-unhelpful assistance arrives in the form of fellow gym freak Anthony Mackie and ex-con Dwayne Johnson, who clings to sobriety and faith as the cornerstones of a tough life. Due in no small part to the stupidity of the conspirators, the plot does not go according to plan. But that doesn't keep the overmatched crooks from plunging further and further into a world of criminality, from which they struggle to emerge with their lives or freedom intact.

Pain & Gain has one huge asset (literally) in the underrated Johnson, who lends his spiritual-struggler a sincere, poignant conviction (before he falls off the wagon) and a go-for-broke desperation (after he loses his spiritual center and embraces cocaine with the same intensity he once embraced Jesus’ purifying love). The squirmy humanity of Johnson’s performance stands in sharp contrast to the gratingly excessive visual style; Bay manages to recreate the overbearing and frenetic qualities of his usual fare, but at a fraction of the budget. Pain & Gain is less a satire of stupidity than a loud, brash, unapologetically vulgar celebration of aggression divorced from intellect. It’s the film Wahlberg and John C. Reilly’s characters in Boogie Nights would have written as a vehicle for themselves in a coked-up, narcissistic delirium, fatally unaware that the narrative makes them look like oblivious, dim-witted **** not the swaggering, Tony Montana-like badasses of their pop-culture–warped imaginations.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Sep 2, 2013
    The movie needed some more detachment – and brevity – but Wahlberg shows once again he has the comedy chops.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Aug 27, 2013
    The ever-present air of madcap, goofball insanity carries it through. A seriously guilty pleasure.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark Dinning
    Aug 26, 2013
    Michael Bay goes back to a Bad Boys budget and a big boys’ rating, for a true-life crime story that’s inconsistent and frenetic, but also funny and wilfully outrageous.