Pan's Labyrinth

8.6

Universal acclaim- based on 1998 Ratings

1. Hunter
    Feb 9, 2007
    The most amazing movie I have ever seen. Period.
  2. TooBooCoo
    Mar 13, 2007
    Pan's Labyrinth seems perhaps a little overrated by critics, who seem to gift foreign language films a token 15% extra when deciding on the rating. However, it was a thouroughly well crafted and imagigined piece of work, both visually stunnong and superbly acted. Indeed, in 'The Captain' I feel we have one of the best villains in cinema history.
  3. AnonymousMC
    Mar 14, 2007
    I had low expectations for this, as I find many movies that are critically acclaimed to be uninteresting and confusing. But I actually really liked this. Sometimes you're on the edge of your seat, sometimes you're just in awe of all the visual effects. Sometimes it's brutal, sometimes it's just enchanting. Really worth your time and money for this masterpiece.
  4. Kim
    Mar 15, 2007
    Not many movies rate a re-watching after I have seen them. 99.8% of all th stiories today are retreads and schlock. El Labyrinto del Fauno is not only worth every second of film. I will own it, cherish ih and enjoy it Many more times. It is so artfully and caringly crafted, you feel a part of the story. fantasy and brutal reality mix and collide in most fascinating ways. I wish that more Not many movies rate a re-watching after I have seen them. 99.8% of all th stiories today are retreads and schlock. El Labyrinto del Fauno is not only worth every second of film. I will own it, cherish ih and enjoy it Many more times. It is so artfully and caringly crafted, you feel a part of the story. fantasy and brutal reality mix and collide in most fascinating ways. I wish that more would have the care that Del T^oro does for their visions, and ignore that which has become the bane of existance, the MTVGen X/next claptrap. When we as artists create or do something, we need to take that level of pride and craftsmanship seen here, as we essentially are creating our legacy for others to follow. Expand
  5. MichaelA.
    Mar 17, 2007
    Beautiful and Mystifying. There was nothing wrong with this film. I'm surprised and sad to see that this did not win the Oscar for best foreign film. What won me over was the lullaby.
  6. AnastashaC.
    Mar 21, 2007
    The best movie I have ever seen. I have never been so moved by anything in my entire life. Beautiful. Just beautiful.
  7. FutureCritic
    Mar 23, 2007
    This is my second favorite movie of all time. Definatley the best made in my lifetime. The only movie I like better than this is Jurrasic Park, and that is because it is one of the first movies i ever saw. This movie was a masterpeice to be remembered and revered as the godfather or casablanca, different genres, but both are amazingly well done. I am only 13 and i found this movie This is my second favorite movie of all time. Definatley the best made in my lifetime. The only movie I like better than this is Jurrasic Park, and that is because it is one of the first movies i ever saw. This movie was a masterpeice to be remembered and revered as the godfather or casablanca, different genres, but both are amazingly well done. I am only 13 and i found this movie amazing, from how it was shot to the story and acting. Sergi Lopez captured the part of a heartless villain better than any performer ever did, and Ivana Baquero should have the fame of Dakota fanning, that joke of an actress. I was amazed to see it didnt win best foreign film in the oscars, Who would pick "the lives of others" compared to this, what idiots think that heap of crap was comparable to this? The only explaination is that Pans Labrynth isnt the best film of the year, its the best film in the last 15 years. Expand
  8. KayArk
    Mar 3, 2007
    An amazing movie. The best one I've seen this year.
  9. RafaElorduy
    Mar 5, 2007
    As good is this film that everyone who has given it a "10" (including myself of course) don´t have to explain much to say that it is one of the best movies ever made. On the contrary, those who give it a low rating have to explain in more than a thousand words why they were not satisfied by this magical, magnificent masterpiece.
  10. LanceD.
    Mar 5, 2007
    Surprised at such high score on Meta-Critic. I do believe if this movie was made by and in Hollywood it would not have scored as high. The plot is simplistic. I kept waiting for surprise twist at the end with the Faun but it never developed. Predictable. Gratifying visual effects. I would rate this a B or B+ but no where near the ranks of The Godfather as Meta-Critic did.
  11. RichardW.
    Mar 9, 2007
    I enjoyed this movie tremendously. It is very powerful. At the conclusion of the movie, my wife's interpretation and my own were different. Consequently it strenghthened my conviction that this truly is a great movie.
  12. Miko
    Apr 13, 2007
    Perspective is required with this Movie. So far reactions have been completely over the top. The film is neither so brilliant as to make you reconsider how you live your life or so poor as to make you wish you had taken your granny out for tea and scones instead. Yes it very imaginative with great acting and contains thought provoking insights. But the magic only touches the edges of film Perspective is required with this Movie. So far reactions have been completely over the top. The film is neither so brilliant as to make you reconsider how you live your life or so poor as to make you wish you had taken your granny out for tea and scones instead. Yes it very imaginative with great acting and contains thought provoking insights. But the magic only touches the edges of film like elaborate embroidering and the violence distracts to the point of gratuitousness. In the end, the movie fails to be truly immersive or involving and one feels like one has had a quaint trip to the theatre rather than a journey to the other side of imagination. Expand
  13. KurtisR.
    Apr 14, 2007
    One of the best film of 2006. The idea of magic realism translates onto the film medium with breathtakaing visual veracity and power.
  14. JasonL.
    Apr 19, 2007
    Pan's Labyrinth is simply one of the best movies ever made. The ending scene was simply brilliant, it makes no judgement, and lets you decide if you are sad or elated.
  15. MattP.
    Apr 19, 2007
    Although it is no longer in theaters, it will soon beout on DVD. If you are seventeen or older, and can stomach some pretty brutal scenes, you will be treated to, at least in my opinion, the best movie of 2006
  16. MojoPiN
    Apr 21, 2007
    This movie was as astounding as they say. More so then even the brilliant acting and directing was the mood that was set throughout the entire script. You were able to really place yourself in the beginnings of what was to be Franco's Spain and the whole affair flowed seamlessly. There was no overacting here, no overt Hollywood drama whose formula is old and tired. It was genuine, This movie was as astounding as they say. More so then even the brilliant acting and directing was the mood that was set throughout the entire script. You were able to really place yourself in the beginnings of what was to be Franco's Spain and the whole affair flowed seamlessly. There was no overacting here, no overt Hollywood drama whose formula is old and tired. It was genuine, believable and most of all inspiring. A beautiful flick for anyone to see, even the most alpha of males. Expand
  17. RobinJ.
    Apr 24, 2007
    I don't really understand Spanish and there are no subtitles to help me understand while I watched the movie. But i can see the struggles of war and the classic tale of good versus evil. And this one, of course the good triumphs. After I watched, all I remember was that the film is a war film. It depicts the horror, the fear, the violence and the selfishness of war. For more I don't really understand Spanish and there are no subtitles to help me understand while I watched the movie. But i can see the struggles of war and the classic tale of good versus evil. And this one, of course the good triumphs. After I watched, all I remember was that the film is a war film. It depicts the horror, the fear, the violence and the selfishness of war. For more squeamish people, like me, this film is a bit difficult and uncomfortable to watch. But the fantasy part of the film is beautiful. The fantasy side is used to describe the hope of peace and safety that you wish for when you are facing war. It's original and i give credit for that. Expand
  18. Ghostly
    Apr 25, 2007
    this film was vibrant with darkness life and death spirtual...and brought me to my own childhood...where i looked for escape doors and other portals to get away from the dreary parisian buildings and adults...who surrounded me...with their sharp energies. Children are not as innocent as u think. especially in today s modern world. think about what a fairy tale really is. Our director this film was vibrant with darkness life and death spirtual...and brought me to my own childhood...where i looked for escape doors and other portals to get away from the dreary parisian buildings and adults...who surrounded me...with their sharp energies. Children are not as innocent as u think. especially in today s modern world. think about what a fairy tale really is. Our director honnored the true function of a fairy tale. we tell our children fairy tales to warn them about the world educate them about courage faith trust and honnor we educate our children that death and life exist and that magic is the power of their own hearts and souls and basically many worldy fairy tales are bloody and scary and horrid and also magical with prizes and challenges and punishements and risks. this little girl moved me...she was very very brave. she was alive and cared deeply about life about her mom s well being...about her new friend mercedes well being and understaood the wickedness of her stepp father. She was able to recognize evil. and choose good. she was a child. but she had the soul of a warrior princess. adn in this world we live in why should we hide the truth from our little children...? Dont they see hellraiser friday the 13th and other creepy movies anyways? Or what about all the cartoons on tv. do u think those cartoons are that sweet. they are more perverse. or what about the glorified politics of ou r governemtns which are killing children? Should we hide this stuff from our children. Fairy tales and life and blood have always been hand in hand. even hensel and grettel is not nice story and it is europeen. it s like pocahontas lies..made by disney...that she was in love and happy with the blond dude... but actually...she was forced to marry him and follow him to his ugly grey old england city..where she got sick from a european disease and then died. But that fairy tale with Disney made it look like colonization never happened... So thank u for Truth and for loving ly working on every single frame. Also ...I just want to say ...that it was about God and life and death...and life after Death...and spiritual life. Our world ..hahhaha...do u know how many children live thirsty..on the streets ...how many children beg...are victims of organ traffic business...victims of sex exploitation business... are victims of pedophiles... so please... do bring ur kid to see this flick. i would have loved it when i was a kid. Expand
  19. MattB.
    Apr 30, 2007
    One of the most moving pictures I have ever seen. Unique, creative, and memorable. Simply put, it was amazing.
  20. RyanTerry
    May 15, 2007
    I loved everything about this movie. Incredibly imaginative. It takes you to a whole other world.
  21. PatrickD.
    May 15, 2007
    Stunning film that should have won Best Picture. Along with United 93 and Children of Men, it was one of the best films of the past decade let alone the year of 2006. What all those 3 films have in common is what people do when confronted when society is falling apart. This film is worth the emotional investment
  22. ChadSwee
    May 16, 2007
    Pan's Labyrinth, a film (written and directed) by Guillermo del Toro (Blade 2 and Hellboy), is a memorable, unique, and adventurous movie that excells in many aspects. The plot revolves around a young spanish (and that's Spain spanish, not Mexico spanish) girl, Ofelia, whose mother has been widowed and is now moving in with her new husband who happens to be the captain of aPan's Labyrinth, a film (written and directed) by Guillermo del Toro (Blade 2 and Hellboy), is a memorable, unique, and adventurous movie that excells in many aspects. The plot revolves around a young spanish (and that's Spain spanish, not Mexico spanish) girl, Ofelia, whose mother has been widowed and is now moving in with her new husband who happens to be the captain of a fascist group that overtook Spain. The captain plays the role of a ruthless ruler, similiar to that of the Nazi in Schindler's List. The actor plays this character flawlessly, but he is not the only person who brings a good acting performance to the table. The mother, doctor, maid and many others perfectly play their parts also, with the exception of the lead character, Ofelia. Ofelia comes off as a very dull and undramatic young girl, roughly the age of 12, eventhough she is supposed to be full of imagination. She has a passion for fairy tales, and as she witnesses the violent nature of the captain and his group she uses her mind to escape reality. This movie, in all actuality, is a fairy tale for adults. The plot is interesting, and definately a fresh breath of air compared to recent films that keep using revenge as a motive for every last thing. From a directing stand point Pan's Labyrinth is amazing. It's gorgeous to watch, exciting to watch, and, most importantly, fun to watch. Pan's Labyrinth may not blow you away, but is ultimately a great movie. It gets, on a scale of one to ten, five being average, a nine.
    Oh and just a little fore-warning, this movie is in spanish and therefore you have to read english subtitles. This may shy people away from watching it, but by no means should you let this one go simply because of having to read subtitles.
  23. TriciaR.
    May 17, 2007
    I have spent almost as long reading these comments as I did watching the film - fascinating. Maybe the distinguishing feature of art is that 'all or nothing' engagement on many levels. Genius doesn't have to be perfect.
  24. JoeZ.
    May 18, 2007
    This is an oustanding film which is deeply moving. when I left the theatre I felt like my emotional stability had been put through the ringer, but only to emerge stronger in the end. For me this film really evoked one of those expreriences where you are so wrapped in the drama that the consequences of the story feel real. Excellent.
  25. LL.
    May 21, 2007
    The movie was wonderful with one massive omission. I am baffled by the directors decision to include the nose bashing scene. It was something out of a B' slasher movie. Other wise it was truly thought provoking. Is the afterlife as individual as each of us?
  26. ArielL.
    May 22, 2007
    This movie is just absolutely wonderful in every way, from its beautifully executed shot of every frame to it's acting and story. I'm previleged to see these wonderful films made outside of the US that have so much depth and originally. I think my next one will be Once.
  27. BlakeW.
    May 20, 2007
    This is a fantastic film. Anyone who thinks it may be flawed in some way are just wrong. Anyone may like or dislike any film, but even if you disliked it, you must recognize that it is perfectly executed and fantastically beautiful in both its story and visuals. If you don't realize this there is something wrong with you...seriously.
  28. JayA
    May 24, 2007
    Great movie. Stirring, violent, emotional and fantastical. Ivana Baquero is a wonderful actress and the whole story is well thought-out and incredibly well executed by the whole cast.
  29. BruceQ.
    May 24, 2007
    One of the best movies that I saw in 2006. My wife and I were still talking about it days later. It is not surprising that this movie has already reached #41 on IMDB's top 250 movies of all time list - it certainly deserves the high praise it has received. Some viewers might be put off by the brutal scenes and it is certainly not young kids (the R-rating is a clue people!) Pan's One of the best movies that I saw in 2006. My wife and I were still talking about it days later. It is not surprising that this movie has already reached #41 on IMDB's top 250 movies of all time list - it certainly deserves the high praise it has received. Some viewers might be put off by the brutal scenes and it is certainly not young kids (the R-rating is a clue people!) Pan's Labyrinth is beautiful, thrilling and poignant. Unless you are looking for Disney fare or think films with subtitles are too taxing, you will enthralled. Expand
  30. PhilO.
    May 30, 2007
    A masterpiece which inextricably links fantasy, drama, suspense, horror, and socio-political history to perfection, which instructs us of the malevolent nature of man, but also of the redeeming, hopeful and powerful force of imagination. A display of on-screen magic perfectly crafted by Del Toro.
  31. MattF.
    May 30, 2007
    I would definitely agree with many of the reviewers of the film in that Pan's Labyrinth is better than pretty much anything I've seen in recent memory. This is due neither to it being a foreign film or it being made out of the Hollywood system. If the film is separated into it's constituent parts - acting or special effects or cinematography - there are, I will give you, I would definitely agree with many of the reviewers of the film in that Pan's Labyrinth is better than pretty much anything I've seen in recent memory. This is due neither to it being a foreign film or it being made out of the Hollywood system. If the film is separated into it's constituent parts - acting or special effects or cinematography - there are, I will give you, better films made. But what makes this film stand out is its tapestry use of these constituencies. The special effects, for example, are not made to form the alltogether trite "spectacle" reaction. The acting as well doesn't have the crying breakdown scene, another form of hollywood-derived spectacle. The film, rather, is a study in subtlety. The story does not call for crappy remake King Kong special effects, its cinematography is subdued to counterpoint some of the ultraviolent scenes, etcetera etcetera. With that said, I was actually a bit disappointed with how the fantasy realm was set up. The child was obviously utilizing this fantasy to escape the militaristic strife around her yet her fantasies did not, for me, become enough of an escape. They were still too rooted in a realism - a non-eden, non-childlike state - that left me understanding a dichotomy that wasn't entirely functional. Overall great stuff. Expand
  32. TimF.
    Jun 19, 2007
    Good movie, yes. but perfect? a 10/10? No. Critics have seriously over-hyped this movie don't go along expecting to see the movie of the year and you will be richly rewarded rather than slightly disappointed.
  33. LisbethJ.
    Jun 19, 2007
    Great movie. Really beautiful and touching. I wouldn't give it the highest vote though, because it's not the best movie I've ever seen, but it's very good. If you like movies that are visual stunning, has an adventurous story and will move you, you should watch it. If you only like action packed comedy or movies that will leave you with a happy feeling, you Great movie. Really beautiful and touching. I wouldn't give it the highest vote though, because it's not the best movie I've ever seen, but it's very good. If you like movies that are visual stunning, has an adventurous story and will move you, you should watch it. If you only like action packed comedy or movies that will leave you with a happy feeling, you shouldn't watch it. Expand
  34. MatthewH.
    Jun 20, 2007
    I do not believe this movie was ever over hyped, for e.g star wars episode1 suffered greatly to over-hyping, what this movie got was critical acclaim. The difference being, this film was not forced down our throats with advertising, but instead critics and people all found the film highly enjoyable. That said, going into it i was scared of the fact it was subtitled might distract me away I do not believe this movie was ever over hyped, for e.g star wars episode1 suffered greatly to over-hyping, what this movie got was critical acclaim. The difference being, this film was not forced down our throats with advertising, but instead critics and people all found the film highly enjoyable. That said, going into it i was scared of the fact it was subtitled might distract me away from the on screen fun, I'm happy to say it didn't, in fact helped the story feel even more of an escape. It is a fairy tale for adults, and one which i believe should be seen by everyone. Expand
  35. JordanR.
    Jun 21, 2007
    Instantly in my top 5. Emotionally complex and dark, not a kids movie, although for adults this film is wildly entertaining and insightful to our own inner child as we find courage to face our biggest fears and challenges every day. Beautifully crafted with unexpected and likable (though not all human) characters, spot on acting, and brilliant cinematography brings a unique blend of drama Instantly in my top 5. Emotionally complex and dark, not a kids movie, although for adults this film is wildly entertaining and insightful to our own inner child as we find courage to face our biggest fears and challenges every day. Beautifully crafted with unexpected and likable (though not all human) characters, spot on acting, and brilliant cinematography brings a unique blend of drama & suspense like no other film I've seen before. Expand
  36. PeterJ.
    Jun 22, 2007
    Excellent movie. This film had every possible emotion in it and played it out perfectly. The guy that gave it a two would probably enjoy NORBIT.
  37. MegB.
    Jun 26, 2007
    Excellent film, very well done. Much darker than I expected. I've recommended it to several people since I saw it.
  38. Abbyl
    Jun 28, 2007
    This movie was beyond my greatest expectations. I would recommend this movie to anyone and everyone who likes a mind blowing movie. It was intense and very real, but magical.
  39. MarkB.
    Jun 29, 2007
    Excellent film, through and through. For the few people who posted on here and said that it was filled with unnecessary violence: I agree and I disagree, and I think you missed the point. Here's what I mean: The entire point is that the violence IS unnecessary, and ultimately inconsequential. But it was necessary for the director to show this violence because he's making a point Excellent film, through and through. For the few people who posted on here and said that it was filled with unnecessary violence: I agree and I disagree, and I think you missed the point. Here's what I mean: The entire point is that the violence IS unnecessary, and ultimately inconsequential. But it was necessary for the director to show this violence because he's making a point about fascism. It is necessary to see that the consequences of blind obedience and fascism is unnecessary and meaningless deaths. Get it? Expand
  40. AdrianneZ.
    Jul 1, 2007
    If you love fantasy you'll love this movie, if you hate fantasy you'll still love this movie. One of the best movies I have ever seen. This movie executes everything it tries to do perfectly. The beautiful thing is even though this whole movie is in Spanish, you understand it all.
  41. ChrisC
    Jul 14, 2007
    Outstanding. Del Toro managed to mix innocence,fear and politics with a fairytale. The way Del Toro built up the climax of the movie was just perfect to give this sdult fairyutale a fantastic ending. Splendid script and genius photography. The movie was outstanding and didnt need a great score to make it better like other movies, but Navarrete's score is a classic.
  42. GordonS.
    Jul 17, 2007
    I liked it. I don't agree with such a high marks though. There was quite a few boring scenes that didn't bring much or help building the atmosphere.
  43. ****
    Jul 18, 2007
    Another breathtaking example of the incomprehensible talent Guillermo del Toro has at his disposal. And to echo the discourteous Lena J, kiss my ass Fredrick T!
  44. TBird
    Jul 2, 2007
    For me this movie was perfect in every way. I encourage everyone to view it and form their own opinion as this movie deserves to be watched and discussed by all.
  45. PatC.
    Jul 3, 2007
    The final chapter of the movie Fantasia is presented as a musical exposition of the interaction between the profane and the sacred. In Pan;s Labyrinth, we see this interaction fully formed in plot and characters to create a photoplay of undeniable insight and power.
  46. NormL.
    Aug 14, 2007
    Awesome. Stirring. Take your breath away.
  47. SiniH.
    Aug 16, 2007
    Very sad and fantastic with solid story.
  48. SaulS.
    Aug 20, 2007
    The Best fantastic movie, and the best, he made for a Mexican.
  49. AndrewR.
    Aug 26, 2007
    Anyone who gives this movie less than a 9-- is just plain dumb. too dumb to figure out what a good movie is. this movie was brilliant, probably one of the best films I've seen in my life.
  50. RobertK.
    Aug 5, 2007
    One of the few film whose images return, invited or not, nearly a year later. Although I began to focus on the underlying structure on repeat viewing the first experience was as close to a dream I wanted to awaken from but couldn't as any visual art in recent years. (You close your eyes hoping the image will have passed; it's usually that much more intense.).
  51. EricG.
    Aug 6, 2007
    Here's what I think: Pan's Labyrinth, above all, is about being true to oneself. It is about doing the right thing in the face of evil and horrible consequences. It is about rebelling in the face of wrong, it is about trusting one's inner instincts. It is about life in the face of death, right in the face of wrong. The ending captures the essence of the afterlife so Here's what I think: Pan's Labyrinth, above all, is about being true to oneself. It is about doing the right thing in the face of evil and horrible consequences. It is about rebelling in the face of wrong, it is about trusting one's inner instincts. It is about life in the face of death, right in the face of wrong. The ending captures the essence of the afterlife so beautifully, and captures the paradox of the tragedy on earth that it remains both strangely beautiful and despairing at once. The plot, characters, cinematography, acting, all function as a driving force to drive this theme home. Expand
  52. LydiaJ.
    Sep 10, 2007
    This is clearly a brilliant film, a "fairy tale" for adults. Surely anyone who has lived at least 45 years recognizes the fact that evil tends to masquerade as innocence and beauty. Bravo to Guillermo Del Toro for creating a film that gives words, and image, to the all so painful truths of life, and human behavior.
  53. MasherM.
    Sep 1, 2007
    Pan's Labyrinth is by far the best movie of the year. Guillermo del toro combines a brutal war drama, with a beautifull and breathtaking fantasy. The ending is an incredible mix of sorrow, joy, triumph, and revenge. If you have not seen it yet do not listen to the few stupid and deluded individuals who believe Pan's Labyrinth is a bad movie. See Pan's Labyrinth yourself, Pan's Labyrinth is by far the best movie of the year. Guillermo del toro combines a brutal war drama, with a beautifull and breathtaking fantasy. The ending is an incredible mix of sorrow, joy, triumph, and revenge. If you have not seen it yet do not listen to the few stupid and deluded individuals who believe Pan's Labyrinth is a bad movie. See Pan's Labyrinth yourself, and prepare to be blown away. Expand
  54. MiguelB.
    Sep 20, 2007
    This movie is an instant classic, a master piece, something you haven´t seen before, some people didn't like the end, well the thing is that there is no end, the movie is so ambiguous, that you can choose an end, you can choose to believe that Ofelia died in vain and that fairies never existed or you can choose to believe that she made a change, and some sort of "heaven" awaits This movie is an instant classic, a master piece, something you haven´t seen before, some people didn't like the end, well the thing is that there is no end, the movie is so ambiguous, that you can choose an end, you can choose to believe that Ofelia died in vain and that fairies never existed or you can choose to believe that she made a change, and some sort of "heaven" awaits for people who do the right thing, which most of the times is the difficult painful thing, in other words you can choose to be Vidal or to be Ofelia, it´s called free will, remember that the pan never forced Ofelia into nothing, she chose her path, the one she thought was the right one, and she lived with the consequences. People who bash this movie do it because they were expecting a clear end, they were expecting the director to take them by the hand and show them the way out of this madness, they couldn't stand the stress of the overwhelming ambiguity and uncertainty of the film, but it is ok because that was the intention of the film, (in other words you feel like Ofelia did, you feel lost, and you choose to believe what you think is right) This is not the never ending story kind of film where everybody lives happy for ever and ever, or the labyrinth where Sarah and her brother Toby return home safely. Hmmm or is it?? Greetings from Mexico. Expand
  55. AnonymousMC
    Nov 1, 2008
    This movie is easily the best movie ever made (in my opinion). Del Toro blends fantasy and reality perfectly. The movie is beautiful and flawless, and shows brutality and innocence. Those hate it should go back to watching Meet the Spartans or Epic Movie, since you obviously don't know what a real film is. A perfect 10/10 for Pan's Labyrinth.
  56. JeanB
    Jan 21, 2008
    This movie is definitely not a fantasy film. If you judge by the normal measures of cinema, and not by your own arbitrary expectations, you will find an truly epic film.
  57. JanetC
    Dec 22, 2008
    A BEAUTIFUL anti-Fascist allegory, which can also be enjoyed merely on a surface, aesthetic level. Anybody who fails to be impressed by this has no heart, no soul and no mind. Flawless in concept, casting and execution.
  58. CooperH.
    Jan 26, 2008
    I have never fallen so much in love with a story before seeing this.
  59. MarkD.
    Jan 29, 2008
    Stunning visuals and a great story.
  60. JajaM
    Feb 3, 2008
    It was so beautiful shot and i fell in love with the characters.
  61. PedroM.
    May 15, 2008
    Excellent movie. Very entertaining, really a classic. It has lots of violence, but instead of insulting it is sad, and makes one aware that reality is more violent.
  62. HugoB.
    May 17, 2008
    Most beautiful, emotional and gripping movie I've ever seen. I was left feeling happy and sad all in one go.
  63. MikeN
    May 20, 2008
    Honestly, this film is simply confused. Del Toro should have choosen one story line or the other to be the center of the film and the other story to support and enrich it. As it stands, neither story seems real. That said, the imagery is unforgettable.
  64. JakeH.
    May 24, 2008
    Holy Shit! This movie kicked ass! The gory bloody parts are amazing and the fact that it's in a different langauge totally ROCKS!!
  65. MichaelM.
    Jun 1, 2008
    Imaginative, amazing.
  66. ChenL.
    Jul 22, 2008
    What a beautiful movie.
  67. joeq
    Nov 4, 2009
    Um, liz S, you just picked the two people who rated below you to comment on, you didn't even read most of the reviews. Also, saying, the movie is perfect doesn't provide any sort of insight or details as to why the film is so great, so I'd have to say you're the one who is being "simply ridiculous". I though the film was good movie, and be a big Guillermo del Toro fan Um, liz S, you just picked the two people who rated below you to comment on, you didn't even read most of the reviews. Also, saying, the movie is perfect doesn't provide any sort of insight or details as to why the film is so great, so I'd have to say you're the one who is being "simply ridiculous". I though the film was good movie, and be a big Guillermo del Toro fan certainly doesn't hurt. I though it was creative enough, but also a little excessive at points. Expand
  68. TomT
    Jan 27, 2009
    Brilliant elements, but they don't quite cohere. For me, the graphic ultra-violence limits the appeal. Yet the savagery of the Spanish conflict can hardly be overstated. A friend's father was a youngster who fled his bombed provincial town with thousands of civilians, mostly women and children. Every warplane they encountered, of either side, bombed and strafed these innocents.
  69. EddieEagle
    Feb 27, 2009
    Outstanding. I wasn't aware of the critical acclaim received by this movie and more stumbled on the film by chance. What a great film it is and it works on so many levels. Very emotive and beautifully shot with some fantastic performances by the lead actors. Del toro cleverly interweaves the fantasy world and the real world proving to be a true master of his art. Bodes well for his Outstanding. I wasn't aware of the critical acclaim received by this movie and more stumbled on the film by chance. What a great film it is and it works on so many levels. Very emotive and beautifully shot with some fantastic performances by the lead actors. Del toro cleverly interweaves the fantasy world and the real world proving to be a true master of his art. Bodes well for his next project- the hobbit. If you have not seen this film I would encourage you to check it out and if you do not have a tear in you eye at the end you are made of some stern stuff Expand
  70. goodmovielolz
    May 26, 2009
    Kevin c is incredibly ignorant. this movie is brilliant. im sorry that some of you are too stupid to understand it.
  71. CarmineC
    May 3, 2009
    i hate the people who thinks that they are movie critics, this movie was incredible, this is a horror movie because it was scary compared to the sh*t that you see en discovery kids, Lord of the Rings was also cool kevin c, so when you have a smart argument for why it wasnt a great movie, post it here, Miguel V, you and kevin c are the only morons that rated it with a 2, you are not i hate the people who thinks that they are movie critics, this movie was incredible, this is a horror movie because it was scary compared to the sh*t that you see en discovery kids, Lord of the Rings was also cool kevin c, so when you have a smart argument for why it wasnt a great movie, post it here, Miguel V, you and kevin c are the only morons that rated it with a 2, you are not critics, me neither, but i see good movies and i can differ a good movie from a bad one. Expand
  72. EmericC
    Aug 11, 2009
    Great movie, great actors. But something's missing in the plot.
  73. LizS
    Aug 16, 2009
    Some of the people leaving these ratings are ridiculous... A 5 because it does not deserve all the praise it has gotten.... a 9 because something is missing in the plot.... Simply ridiculous. This movie deserves a 10 in every aspect of cinematography. It is simply perfect and enchanting. It has some much more meaning than most of the films out there playing in theaters at the present moment.
  74. Unknown
    Sep 7, 2009
    After reading some of the reader reviews, I have completely lost faith in public opinion - moreso.This hauntingly beautiful foreign fairy tale/war movie, that intricately interplays abstract fantasy, and gritty realism can only be described as one the most provocative films of the decade. The story brilliantly portrays the harsh realities of the Spanish war and a young girl's After reading some of the reader reviews, I have completely lost faith in public opinion - moreso.This hauntingly beautiful foreign fairy tale/war movie, that intricately interplays abstract fantasy, and gritty realism can only be described as one the most provocative films of the decade. The story brilliantly portrays the harsh realities of the Spanish war and a young girl's desperate need to escape it, which leads to a heartbreaking climax which will annoy most, and leave others wallowing in its wondrously ironic metaphor. This is a thinking persons movie, and for those who say complain about the graphic violence, are the types of people who live in complete ignorance and shelter themselves from the realities of war. Although I would have liked to see more the subtly stylized fantasy aspect of the film, I understand why they abruptly cut it short - fairy tales do not last forever. With a haunting soundtrack, brilliantly well told story, fantastic acting and exquisitely disturbing images of the war - this is one film a smart person MUST see. Expand
  75. BillyC.
    Feb 12, 2010
    Modern fantasy tale - as graphic as any of the old Germanic tales. Visually wonderful - one of the very few movies I'd suggest getting on Blu-Ray (Yes, there is a visible difference in this movie).
  76. ClintM.
    May 19, 2010
    Original and non comprimising in both script and directing. I am not a fantasy/folklore fan and don't care much for Lord of the Rings nor Harry Potter etc but this movie works and stands on its own as unique, beautifully shot and actedanda middle finger to Hollywood. Guillermo's best movie in my opinion.
  77. Beeslo
    Dec 28, 2006
    The ultimate adult fairy tale! Pan's Labyrinth is by far, the best movie of 2006. An artful mixture of adventure and horror, this movie brings out the kid in every adult and at the same time scares it back it into the arms of its mother. Wonderfully directed and acted and filled with some of the best puppertry, this side of Jim Henson, Pan's Labyrinth easily succeeds in every The ultimate adult fairy tale! Pan's Labyrinth is by far, the best movie of 2006. An artful mixture of adventure and horror, this movie brings out the kid in every adult and at the same time scares it back it into the arms of its mother. Wonderfully directed and acted and filled with some of the best puppertry, this side of Jim Henson, Pan's Labyrinth easily succeeds in every facet where Mirrormask failed. Its beauty does not sacrifice from its heart and there is plenty of heart in this movie to fill up 10. I cannot stress enough how precious of a film this movie is and it will be long remembered as a modern day classic. Expand
  78. George
    Dec 29, 2006
    Easily one of the top 5 movies of the year. Very few movies change how future movies are made, but this one will. It is a cinema classic. There is almost nothing like it to compare it with. Perhaps Cocteau's "Beaty and the Beast" or "Lord of the Rings" . . . it is that good.
  79. BlancoA.
    Dec 31, 2006
    Yes, I was a little skeptical after noticing that massive metascore, but this is an absolutely beautiful film which lives up to every expectation of mine. The crowd in my theater was in stunned silence at the end, until a single person started to applaud which led to the entire theater erupting in applause. It's simply the best fim of the year. An instant classic. Here's to Yes, I was a little skeptical after noticing that massive metascore, but this is an absolutely beautiful film which lives up to every expectation of mine. The crowd in my theater was in stunned silence at the end, until a single person started to applaud which led to the entire theater erupting in applause. It's simply the best fim of the year. An instant classic. Here's to hoping this one gets a WIDE release so as many people can be exposed to its grace as possible. Expand
  80. NeilH.
    Dec 31, 2006
    There no way of describing this film which does not devalue it. If you care enough about films to read online reviews don't read any more - go see it.
  81. TracyB.
    Dec 31, 2006
    Excellent film- beautifully shot, excellent story.
  82. MattA
    Dec 30, 2006
    A Visionary, Emotional, Couragous, Imaginative, Epic Masterpiece. Enough said.
  83. JaneD.
    Dec 31, 2006
    I have never been more mesmerized by a film before this one. It is truly a fascinating tale that captivated my interest every second. Amazing acting, directing, cinematography and special effects combines to make a fairy tale that is very deep and moving. I recommend highly to anyone.
  84. LauraH.
    Jan 11, 2007
    Amazing and haunting. This is the best movie I have seen in a very long time. It masters beauty and the grotesque in the same breath. I will definitely be looking up other movies by this director.
  85. MananP.
    Jan 12, 2007
    Brilliant. A unique movie going experince.
  86. Stevens
    Nov 23, 2007
    An impeccably structured film with gorgeous parallels and masterful storytelling. Each action served a major purpose to the personality of the character. The baby stopped crying when the captain came in because his prescense alone was so terrifying that the baby couldn't even make a sound. Mercedes inflicted damage on the captain but didn't make absolute sure before she fledAn impeccably structured film with gorgeous parallels and masterful storytelling. Each action served a major purpose to the personality of the character. The baby stopped crying when the captain came in because his prescense alone was so terrifying that the baby couldn't even make a sound. Mercedes inflicted damage on the captain but didn't make absolute sure before she fled in terror. Ofelia draws the door above her because she knew that was the way she came in and that she'd just end up in a wall.

And to those who say it doesn't have substance, well, that just makes me sad. The film drew beautifully off most classic fairy tales but then threw in ingenious parallels to the real world so some people would have an easier time taking it in context.

My 06 film of the year... so far. There's one left that could knock it out that I have yet to see and will be watching tomorrow called The Lives of Others. I also need to get my hands on a copy of Mutual Appreciation.
  87. EricaK.
    Jan 13, 2007
    I kept waiting for more fairy tale scenes of the labyrinth until I realized that the fairy tale isn't set against postwar Spain, it IS postwar Spain, itself, that is the Labyrinth.
  88. MitchellK.
    Jan 13, 2007
    Absolutely beautiful piece of art. Combines a fantastic story with beautiful visuals and above all a haunting presence that keeps you glued to your seat. Guillermo Del Toro really knows how to make a fairy tale for adults and kids alike. Mystical, powerful and, above all, brilliant.
  89. KurisuD.
    Jan 14, 2007
    The movie is okay. Nothing that deserves all these 10 ratings in my mind. Such high reviews raised my expectations to levels that are just impossible for this movie to achieve. I still gave it an 8 because of its unique story and the unusualness that keeps you wondering what exactly is real, whether or not the fairy tale is bad or good, and what will happen next. The special effects are The movie is okay. Nothing that deserves all these 10 ratings in my mind. Such high reviews raised my expectations to levels that are just impossible for this movie to achieve. I still gave it an 8 because of its unique story and the unusualness that keeps you wondering what exactly is real, whether or not the fairy tale is bad or good, and what will happen next. The special effects are great and unlike todays movies they add to the story rather than replace it. Bottom line I was just expecting more of a fairy tale movie, but instead was hit with more Rebel and El Capitan scenes. Example: The chalk scene with the monster and food really peeked my interest, but then just abruptly ended without much happening. Also, definitely definitely not for kids (lots of violence and scary characters) Good artistic piece.. definitely recommend watching. Expand
  90. OliverC.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Truly one of the best films ever made. It's possible that it could have been a little better, but if Gods made movies than the competition would be too unfair.
  91. DanC.
    Jan 14, 2007
    I really feel like ive just seen the best movie I'll ever see. The guy who said I was expecting more 'visually' is, um... blind. The girl is the first child actor I not only haven't wanted to strangle but absolutely got it, she understood what was goin on, understood how important she was and how good she had to be. It's a movie that doesn't ad lib, doesnt I really feel like ive just seen the best movie I'll ever see. The guy who said I was expecting more 'visually' is, um... blind. The girl is the first child actor I not only haven't wanted to strangle but absolutely got it, she understood what was goin on, understood how important she was and how good she had to be. It's a movie that doesn't ad lib, doesnt think about what to stuff in between the start the middle and the end, its so fully realised that its practically too real, thats hard to take! Which is strange for a movie thats based in fantasy - argh so good! Expand
  92. CindyL.
    Jan 14, 2007
    The movie has been billed as a fairy tale for grownups -- I think that's a poor description. It is a movie about cruelty and being in the last place you want to be, and embracing the magic that presents itself. Much of the film isn't fairytale at all. It's cruel, horrible, and very difficult to watch. This is not, I say again NOT, a film for children. Ofelia has been torn The movie has been billed as a fairy tale for grownups -- I think that's a poor description. It is a movie about cruelty and being in the last place you want to be, and embracing the magic that presents itself. Much of the film isn't fairytale at all. It's cruel, horrible, and very difficult to watch. This is not, I say again NOT, a film for children. Ofelia has been torn from her world by the Captain. Those things that have been real to her are gone -- her father is dead, her mother's love is not hers alone anymore, she is in a strange place with strange sounds and strange people, everything feels wrong. Yet in that, and maybe because of that, she embraces the magic around her. Would a happy, well-adjusted child even seek out the labyrinth, even follow the insect fairy in the first place? Maybe it is only when we lack something, when we are lost, that we are willing to embrace something that would seem in a normal situation to be absurd. She never says, "weird!" or "this can't be happening". She never questions what she sees -- it is her possible salvation, and she accepts it straight off. When she sees the moon mark on her shoulder it only convinces her fully of what she had already accepted, and in the very next scene she introduces herself (fearlessly I might add) to the great toad as Princess Morella. She believes it utterly -- why? It feels like she knows that she has no other choice -- this is the way out, the only way out, and she takes it all willingly and bravely. Didn't we all wish to find out that secretly we are princesses and princes, that this life isn't our true life? (I know I did!) She surrenders to the fantasy in order to survive. Expand
  93. ChadS.
    Jan 14, 2007
    Very good, but not the masterpiece it wants to be (and critics are making it out to be). There are three reasons for this: the fascism stuff is a bit too heavy-handed to be as engrossing as the fantasy, there's one unbelievably lazy plot turn (Ofelia's actions with the pale man), and Del Toro's violence fetish becomes more and more ridiculous (and unwatchable) as the film Very good, but not the masterpiece it wants to be (and critics are making it out to be). There are three reasons for this: the fascism stuff is a bit too heavy-handed to be as engrossing as the fantasy, there's one unbelievably lazy plot turn (Ofelia's actions with the pale man), and Del Toro's violence fetish becomes more and more ridiculous (and unwatchable) as the film goes on. Again, still very good, but 97-good? Nah. Expand
  94. IoannisS.
    Oct 15, 2007
    Innocence triumphs over evil even if in another life.
  95. madsp.
    Nov 5, 2007
    Terrifying, sweet.. Dark, light.. Fantasy, reality... Imagination, truth.. Hope, Despair... Life, death... Pans Labyrinth is one of the best movies of 2006.
  96. ArthurX
    Oct 17, 2007
    Those who found fault with the movies use of effects or props, both of which I found to be effective, are choosing to ignore a magnificent piece of art. Del Toro adeptly depicts the profound courage of his characters in a way that is both painful and uplifting. In blending the real with the surreal, he creates an ending that is satisfying yet true to the movie's ambiance.
  97. IvanD.
    Jan 19, 2007
    Simply perfect! All you can say is see it, see it, see it!!
  98. BillyS.
    Jan 19, 2007
    When a movie starts out with the narration- "A long time ago in another world there was a little princess...", you know you're watching a fairy tale. Plain and simple. Not a great metaphorical, deeply meaningful reflection of life, a fairy tale with breathtaking wonders and horrific evils, damsels in distress and sinister evildoers, places of wondorous glory and stick bug fairies and When a movie starts out with the narration- "A long time ago in another world there was a little princess...", you know you're watching a fairy tale. Plain and simple. Not a great metaphorical, deeply meaningful reflection of life, a fairy tale with breathtaking wonders and horrific evils, damsels in distress and sinister evildoers, places of wondorous glory and stick bug fairies and whether you believe it or not, a place where they lived happily ever after in the end. That said, Pan's Labyrinth is also the most brilliant, intelligent, visually stunning movie of a fairy tale ever filmed! Plain and simple. Expand
  99. ErikH.
    Jan 19, 2007
    Ryan C, you do not realize that your vote for a zero isn't going to change the 97 (now 98) metascore you complained about, right? That being said, this was an excellent film with impressive effects and excellent direction. Connecting fantasy with reality is nothing new, but Del Toro is able to craft it in such a way that the connection is more powerful than it has ever been in other Ryan C, you do not realize that your vote for a zero isn't going to change the 97 (now 98) metascore you complained about, right? That being said, this was an excellent film with impressive effects and excellent direction. Connecting fantasy with reality is nothing new, but Del Toro is able to craft it in such a way that the connection is more powerful than it has ever been in other films. This is easily one of the best films of 2006. It's a true must see! Collapse
  100. MozzM.
    Jan 19, 2007
    This is the best most incredibly moving movie since I seen Schindler's List. It has become one of my top ten favorites, the first film to break into my top ten of all time, since I've seen Shawshank Redemption.

1. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Pan's Labyrinth artfully fuses a war film with a family melodrama and a fairy tale. The result is visually stunning and emotionally shattering.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dark, twisted and beautiful, this entwines fairy-tale fantasy with war-movie horror to startling effect.
    One of the greatest of all fantasy films.